• Published 19th Jan 2022
  • 768 Views, 3 Comments

Sunset at Last - Marina Stars



When they're far apart, Discord waits patiently for the moment he and Fluttershy arent so far apart anymore. Day One of Fluttercord Week 2022: Distance

  • ...
0
 3
 768

Their Sunset

In the golden honeyglow of the approaching evening, Discord sat, and watched, and waited.

Yes. He waited.

It was an odd feeling, when he’d spent most of his life in constant motion, to willingly stop, hold still, and appreciate the sunset. But he lived for odd, right? So technically this was right up his alley.

A cool and gentle breeze tickled the blades of grass around him warning of the oncoming autumn. He closed his eyes and let himself soak in the evening’s light, a jolt of excitement taking over him.

He wasn't waiting for nothing and he didn't often let himself sit so calmly, but Fluttershy had taught him greater patience than he’d ever thought he’d have.

That’s who he was waiting for: Fluttershy.

His dear and beloved.

How long had it been? Four, no, five days… eight hours, twenty two minutes and thirty seven seconds precisely since she’d left on her latest mission alongside her fellow Elements of Harmony. In the great expanse of eternity it should have felt so short, but time was relative and every moment without Fluttershy crept by till he found himself counting down the seconds till he could see her again.

The train should be in just after sunset.

And when she stepped off it, he knew she'd come right to their field, and he could hold her close again and forget there was ever more than an inch of space between them. They’d watch the stars and she’d tell him all about her trip till the late night claimed them and they had no choice but to go to sleep. Just like always.

Oh, if he could just be patient till then…


Fluttershy stepped off the train with a grateful sigh, stretching her stiff limbs out till they were awake and moving properly again. After hours aboard the train as it chugged steadily along the tracks, it was more than a relief to be back in Ponyville again.

“Look at that,” Twilight smiled noting the time, “Home ahead of schedule,”

Instinctually, she looked up at the clock and smiled, finding her friend had spoken true.

Five days.

Five days since she left, and now she was relieved to be home. Not only at home, but early.

Discord wasn't expecting her for perhaps twenty more minutes. She just knew he’d be pleasantly surprised. He loved surprises… And the unexpected. Technically this counted for both.

So, with a skip in her step, she left the station, bidding goodnight to each of her friends and started off towards home.

Her steady walk turned to a trot, the trot to a canter, and soon enough she was in a full gallop towards home. It wasn't far to run, it wouldn't have been long to walk either, but she missed her love’s embrace with every moment they were apart. She wished more and more with every trip, every mission, and every adventure that she could have brought him along. But he would have been bored with nothing to do every time and that was never a good combination when the Elements always traveled for important matters.

Besides… there was no feeling equal to that of their reunions, no matter how long they’d been apart, no matter what distance came between them.

She halted at the edge of their field, silently watching him laying in the grass with his back turned, his whole focus on the sunset. She knew he was waiting for her, counting down the seconds till she was supposed to be home.

She wouldn't trade this moment for anything.

She took off silently, keeping her wingbeats soft and steady as she, with a mischievous grin, crept up behind him.

His ears perked just slightly, perhaps picking up on the faint sound of her approaching , but it was too late for him. When he began to turn to her, she was already diving towards him, laughing his name as she threw her hooves around his neck.

“Fluttershy!” He cheered as she tackled him to the grass, chuckling as she nuzzled against his neck. “You’re early,”

“I missed you.” She smirked, a look she’d learned from him.

“Also, we got lucky and our train was running ahead of schedule,”

She was just too adorable! As his heart burst, he pulled her closer again in a tight bear hug, “I’m just glad you’re home my love,”

“Me too,”

She wouldn't trade this feeling for anything.

He gasped, suddenly sitting up with her still in his arms, “Now we can watch the sunset together!”

His eyes sparkled with so much innocent delight, almost like a foal’s when presented with their favorite dessert, it would have been impossible to say no to those eyes, even if she wanted to. As it was, she couldn't imagine saying no to such a golden opportunity. After the better half of a week away from him, she could think of nothing better than to spend the evening by his side.

"Yes, Discord, now we can watch the sunset," she slid out of his hold, but stayed close as she comfortably laid herself out on the grass, patting a spot beside her just for him.

Eagerly, he moved to her side till he was pressed up against her as close as he could possibly get. He rested his chin atop her head, and watched the far horizon happy to have closed the distance at last.

She wouldn't trade him for anything.

“Tell me everything,” He prompted, wrapping his arms around her again, longing to listen to her voice for as long as he could.

After a thoughtful hum she smiled, “Where to even start?”

She told him of the new experiences she had, the foods she’d tried for the first time, all the things he loved to hear about. She joked about the boring stuff and in short talked with him till the moon was high and the stars were shining.

This was perfection, this new night with the two of them together at last.

Author's Note:

So... I didn't plan to write for today, just do some art and call it good, but I guess I had an idea. I figured it was worth writing for the sake of having a sweet, low-concept story. I work on so many bigger projects and longer stories, but something small and cute like this is good practice for me to get stuff made and post it.

Thanks for reading this little blurb! See again you soon!

Comments ( 3 )

This story is very sweet! Seeing Discord and Fluttershy so in love, and so happy to see each other after time apart, just warms my heart. Something small and cute like this is a great way to start this event. :heart:

Login or register to comment