• Published 17th Jan 2022
  • 157 Views, 16 Comments

Wandering - Mint Essence



A small filly wakes up in collapsed cave system, giving her no other choice but to explore her new surroundings, wandering away from all she knows

  • ...
0
 16
 157

Down, Down, Down From Radiant’s Cafe

Waking on the fourth day the young filly continued her morning routine, taking it slow and allowing herself to appreciate her cozy little home for the last time before she prepared to put her plan into action.

Over the course of the past few days she had intermittently searched for a way beyond the promenade, quickly surmising that the only way out was down.

Searching for some way to get down she found nothing, not even ledge or other natural structure she could use to precariously climb or hop her way down from, and the drop was several times high enough to kill a grown, never mind a small filly.

Also realising that she’d need food water, and preferably something to sleep on she quickly saw her crate bed as a must if she was going to attempt to make her way down into the vast cavern alone, realising just how much food alone she’d be able to fit into it, even more so if she could manage to get two crates down there somehow.

The only question being how she could get both herself and a whole crate full of supplies down from such a high cliff. Thinking along this line though it wasn’t too long until she came to a solution.

If she were to hop inside the crate she could simply use her magic to levitate both it and herself down to the bottom of the cavern bellow, letting gravity do a lot of the work.

So awhile after waking up and having her morning coffee the little filly set to work gathering everything she would need for her journey. Taking as much food as she could comfortably fit inside one of the crates alongside a few jars of water, sticking a knife and a few sharper tools in there as well.

Inside the other she placed a single pillow, a few covers she had gotten from the tables around her, her lucky shiny rock that she had found earlier, a little more water, and of course, her coffee, leaving plenty of room for herself in the middle of the pillow.

Then soon after stuffing her face full of whatever little food she couldn’t carry and a healthy amount of water Radiant grasped the heaviest crate in her magic pulling it over to the entrance and out of the door, doing the same with the other crate, finally lining both up right against the railing at the end of the promenade.

With great effort, given the weight of the box, she was just about able to get it over the railing, letting it gently descend in her telekinetic grip, until some distance away from her the task eventually became much more strenuous, the distance eventually proving too great for her magic, causing her to lose her grip completely.

Luckily she had gotten the first crate a good three quarters of the way down, falling the rest of the way with a loud bang.

Peering over she knew that it was now her turn.

Hoping inside her crate Radiant closed her eyes, taking a deep sigh before she released her magical grip around base and side of the crate, gently tugging on it before she lifted herself up in another bout of magical endurance.

Pulling herself over the side she found the task a good bit easier, weighing less than the other crate, and making no distance between herself and it for obvious reasons.

With a thump she landed beside the other crate, finding to her dismay that the wood had been shattered, leaving most everything inside exposed.

Hurriedly gathering together whatever wasn’t too damaged she tried to force it back into the crate, bending, buckling, and hammering the wooden planks in a desperate attempt to get them back into place. All of her efforts resulting in her vainly breaking the planks into even smaller pieces.

Finally breaking down the poor filly let out a tremendous scream, balling her eyes out next a few broken glass jars, once filled with water, and a burst sack of sugar.

Still in tears, she scraped together what little she could and put inside of her own crate, finding the coffee jar, one water jar, and most of the food to be intact and edible.

Then, gathering herself, she took a good look round at where she was, shining her torch off into the darkness.

To her dismay she found that the right side of the cavern ended in a simple cliff, no further than she could see. It wasn’t half as tall as the promenade above, but still impossible, thankfully though, the direction seemed to go on for at least some time.

Taking a few minutes, she decided to venture off at least a small distance, not wanting to stray too far from what was left of her provisions.

Trotting alongside the cliff wall for ten minutes or so her ears eventually began to pick up a faint noise, aside from the constant and still very audible singing of the spires high above.

Rushing towards this noise she was delighted to find a moderately sized stream, solving her water problems at least, and possibly leading to a way out, if not at least indicating a way forward.

The stream came down from an equally sized waterfall, which was however unfortunately too steep and tall for her to get a good look over.

From there her choice was obvious, and it was only now that she reflected on how stupid it had been to think that she’d be able to do much of anything with the weight of two crates behind her.

Her immediate thought upon seeing the water was to use her little crate as a kind of boat, if she had two and the river hadn’t been there she’d have found it near impossible to make any progress with them.

Excitedly following alongside it on hoof for a few minutes she found that it did appear to continue on for at least some distance, worthy of a voyage.

Rushing back two her crate she once again tried to force feed herself to eat anything she couldn’t carry with her before arduously pushing the crate, both with her telekinesis and her own strength towards the river.

It took her closer to half an hour than ten minutes to move all of her stuff, but eventually she moved everything she’d be taking with her alongside the river.

All that was left was to see if her makeshift vessel was seaworthy.

Author's Note:

The title of this chapter is a reference to this song, one of my girlfriend’s favourites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWm7tz2TOV0