• Published 14th Sep 2012
  • 1,076 Views, 6 Comments

The Night - The philosopher



Why can they not see that it is beautiful?

  • ...
1
 6
 1,076

The Night

The birds sang in the trees. The flowers danced in the wind. The water shimmered in the sunlight. Ponies everywhere were enjoying the warm kiss of Celestia's sun, smiling and laughing as the rays were absorbed into their mane. Many ponies wished the day, in all its glory, could last an eternity. But alas, soon the sky began to bleed it's violet colors.

Only an hour later did the princess of the night appear. Her starlight mane boasted of the very cosmos. She embraced the night and gifted it with her precious treasures. She constructed her stars, her prestine diamonds, to accompany her treasured pearl: the moon.

But no matter close the stars seem, the moon still seemed alone.

Luna was not satisfied with her work, perhaps that was why there were no ponies cheering. There were no birds singing, either. Even the flowers had closed themselves from the midnight world.

Luna heard no cheer. There was only the humiliating imitation of an applause by the wolves and owls. How dare they! What nerve the wolf had to howl in laughter in the very presence of the moon! Damn the owl that asks throughout the night, who sees this? Who notices? Who cares!

Luna could hear their jeers. They rang in her ears and infected her thoughts. What had she done wrong? Were the stars not glistening diamonds? Was the water not a beautiful silver? Was the moon not a luminescent pearl in the night?

Couldn't anypony, anypony at all, look up one night and see her masterpiece?

"What troubles you, sister?" asked a voice that was as warm as the sun.

Luna turned from her balcony and faced her elder sister. "Will they ever see it?" she asked. "Will they ever appreciate all that I do to make the night as glorious as I try to make it?"

"Of course they will!" responded the sister, moving to Luna's side, "I know that this very night somepony right now is gazing at the stars, and is respecting the elegance you gave to the moon."

"But there are so many more who turn there backs on it!" argued Luna, "So many more who close their doors and hide from it in their houses. Why do they wish to close off my night, Celestia? Do they not know I make it for them?" She demanded an answer.

Celestia could provide no answer, and Luna knew she couldn't. She hated that she couldn't. The silence hurt more than any response, even the one she feared she would hear.

"I do not know Luna." confessed Celestia. She couldn't think of any answer but the truth. "I can only bring forth the day, but I cannot foresee it."

Once more, the sick, sadistic silence stabbed it's cold dagger into Luna.

"Have faith, dear sister." ended Celestia. "Oh, and I wish to tell you, this is truly a beautiful night. I want you to know that I for one am at a loss of words for it, and I doubt there is a pony looking into the night sky who isn't either."

Celesta flew into the air, and out of earshot when Luna asked, "But is there a pony that looks up tonight?"

From the balcony, Luna could see all of Equestria. Surely, there must be a few subjects gazing into the night. Equestria expanded for miles, it was impossible that everypony in the land was ignorant of the night sky! There were no doubt at least a few dozen ponies awake and hypnotized by the night's beauty. Luna realized how silly it was, to think that there wasn't even one pony looking into the sky. What nonsense! At the least, there must have been a few dozen ponies who recognized the radiant fairness! What a small audience though.

Luna was silent in meditation. She should thank these unknown audience members. Some how, she was going to express her appreciation for their support. Perhaps she would give them a gift? Her eyes widened at the thought. That's it! She would make a special portrait for her audience, she decided. It would be crafted of the brightest stars. Luna mused at the thought. She was to give these anonymous admirers a gift forged from the very cosmos! And they of all ponies would apreciate it, no doubt!

Luna soared through the night sky and brought three stars into a perfect line. From there, she continued. When she finished the first portrait, she moved to another part of the vast canvas and placed the stars, but in a different pattern. Fifteen minutes had past by the time Orion and Draco were complete, half an hour by the time the Ursas were made and Canis Major were complete, and Canis Minor was near completion. This would be her greatest creation. From this night forward the stars would be a wonderful painting unmatched by any artist. Oh how it was art, the stars were arranged carefully and colorfully to form from the ashes the perfect picture. By the time the hour past, the constellations dominated the sky.

Luna landed gracefully in the garden. Her work was beautiful. It was her greatest creation! The ponies must love it! She could even hear their cheers as if an audience was behind her back! The noises, Luna realized with glee, were quite real. She could hear the citizens of Equestria clap in cheer for her divine art! She turned to greet the crowd with crying eyes and a broad smile.

If there ever was a crowd, it had dispersed like mist instantly, replaced by the garden fountain. Luna stared as every one of its silver teardrops poured into the pool of water. It shined like mercury.

She raised her head. She felt there was something wrong with the night, and once more pondered how she would improve it for the next night, maybe somepony would notice it tomorrow. She noted that the stars were no longer as bright as they once were, and the moon's glow was near-nonexistent.

And it seemed so... Alone.

Comments ( 6 )

Luna could here their jeers.

Hear, not here.

Sad.... :fluttershysad: but not bad!
Lovely story, lovely read. :twilightsmile: Liked and faved! :rainbowkiss:

1273280 problem solved, thank you for pointing that out! Also thank you for the like and the fav

That was short, sharp and nothing but the pure. :twilightsmile:


Beautiful. I got a chill down my spine at "there was something wrong with the night." The emotions, man. You captured them here. And you describe Luna's night beautifully. :twilightsmile:

This is wrapped so thoughtfully that I have a hard time even explaining how I feel after reading it.

Literally everything has the utmost care about it, and the description is so cleverly worded that I wouldn't be surprised if everyone that took the time to read it would delve into this.

Gladly Fav'd.

Login or register to comment