• Published 31st Dec 2021
  • 1,250 Views, 68 Comments

The Quiet Kid: Day by Day - aegishailstorm



The tale of a one man army's acclimation to day to day life in Equestria.

  • ...
63
 68
 1,250

PreviousChapters Next
The Quiet Kid: Tacticool Edition

William was bored again. It had been 2 full days since he disposed of the giant crystalline spire that had grown up from below the castle of the 2 sisters. And since then. His life had been relatively calm. That was really just the way things went in this place, sometimes, day, or even weeks would pass without anything interesting occurring. Or you could have have an infestation of giant mosquitos one day. And an ancient eldritch abomination the next. What William found even stranger than the seemingly random attacks on the town was the well known fact that almost no other town in the Equestrian heartland was attacked this often. William accredited that to them not living right next to the Everfree forest. Even though he had gone hiking there every chance he got. He had still only explored a very small portion of the forest. Most maps of Equestria made it out to be roughly the size of Colorado back on earth. Just hiking from one side all the way to the other would likely take weeks. And he was ok with that. The more wilderness, the better.

William's mindset was in stark contrast to most native Equestrians. Who, for the most part, where terrified of the unknown. This showed in many parts of their culture. From the average citizens ignorance as to the nature of the greater world they lived in, to their cuisine. Witch, despite them being omnivores. Consisted entirely of plants. He had made it clear many times that he would never conform to this ideology.

" Hello? William?" He recognized Mrs. Hooves voice from his couch. It had been a while since he had seen her. William raced to the doorway and unlocked the latch. " Hi Derpy, watcha got for me?"

"I don't know, it's a letter from Celestia." William groaned, " I'll take it, thanks." The grey pegasus smiled, and hoofed it over to him. He closed the door as soon as it was in his grasp. Leaving him a short gap in which to say bye. With a sight, he removed the seal and read it.

" She... Invited me to Canterlot? Odd, but, alright. Now, should I tell Joey? Nah, or course not!" William threw on the usual stuff he wore when leaving the house. Snatched an M4A1 out of thin air. And made for the train station.

" Alright, what'd you want me for?" William knocked on the throne room door. Something uncustomary of him, usually, he would just throw the doors aside and barge right on in. Most of the time, he would be doing it with a light machine gun at high ready with the safety off. Probably he only came to Canterlot when it was either under attack or already under hostile control. That was another thing about ponies he disliked they might be adorable, but damn were they ever easy to subjugate and control. With no leader to, "Keep the herd going straight." They would crumble like rotting wood. It was for that reason that William believed they needed him. Because the magic of friendship is temporary. But gunpowder and lead are eternal.

He tugged on his shirt collar as the double doors were swung open by a unicorn guardpony who, to his surprise, saluted him as he passed her. With a chuckle, he walked inside, down the long red carpet, he stopped just 20 feet short of the princesses, Shining armor, who scolded at him, and the six. "Uh, Princess, why is he-" Celestia lifted her right hoof. "Calm down, I invited him."

"Uh, quick question, how do you put up with sitting up there all day. I mean, doesn't it get boring? There is literally nothing to keep yourself sane. And don't even get me started on those creepy moving stained glass windows. Actually, I think I will start on them. What the ####ing hell were you thinking when you put those in? I mean, stained glass windows, I'm fine with but, you had to enchant them? That's just a waste of energy. Also, why did you sent me a letter asking for me to come here?" He cracked his back, and tapped his heels together. " Shining Armor looked to stunned to answer, so Celestia did it for him.

"Well, I thought you might like what we have in store. After Sombra's attack Luna and I thought it would be prudent of us to reinforce the castles defenses. " William slapped his knee. " I suggested, that we do it ourselves, but someponies are.. A bit stubborn. " Luna muttered.

" Trust me, you ain't alone." William grumbled, toying with the magazine pouch straps. " What do you want me to do about it? Help you set some up? Need ideas? Well, you're asking the wrong operator." He crossed his arms. "I asked our old captain of the guard to handle the job."

"I've taken things to a whole new level!" Shining armor touted, William's gun hand twitched. " Oh, is that so?" He responded with uneasy calmness. " Yes, all I need now is somepony to test it."

"You want me to break into Celestia's castle!?" Twilight asked. " I don't see why you're worried." Shining continued in blissful ignorance. "If you can get past my defenses, steal the crown, and get out, you'll be sibling supreme." He had directed that last bit at Twilight. And damn did she ever like the prospect of it. William raised an eyebrow, " That's all? That's it?" William shrugged, walked over to the throne, and picked up the aluminum foil crown, and placed it on top of his helmet. " I win." The entire room was silent, " Well, you didn't say when."

" As I said before, your help will help us reveal if there are any holes in our security." William fought back a laugh. " So what you're saying is, if they have the crown, and just the physical crown, they automatically get control of all Equestria?" Shining bit his lip, " Are you going to help us, or not?" William nodded, " Yes. I will." He began to walk away, "Y'all tell me when you want me to steal it."

"Don't you want to see the traps-" William couldn't contain his laugher at this point, so it just came out. " I don't care, whatever it is, it won't be enough!" He slammed the throne room doors behind him. " Them? Security?" He shook his head at the mere thought of it. But then again, a small part of his mind was worried, his training, and sense of critical thinking had taught him to never be caught unprepared. And so, he decided, if he was going to do this, he was going to give himself every possible advantage. But first, he needed to make a, 'stop.'

"Twilight?" William tapped on her horn, she jumped in surprise. Her, and her friend's had appeared to have finally made up their minds. William had also made his up. And he had spent the last half hour wandering the castle grounds looking for her. " Twilight, do me a favor."
"What? And, where have you been?" William shushed her, " Quiet, not now! Meet here tonight, as soon as the sun goes down." Before she could ask why, he was already leaving. Twilight wanted to protest, but given what she knew about William. She figured that he knew better. Something that by itself, she found absurd. But, she went along with it anyhow.

Several long hours later...

William had brought out all the stops on this one. From his amplified ear protection which combined the sensitive hearing of a pony with hearing protection for gunshots. His helmet and vest were pretty much the usual, except for his uniform made from a special fabric with functioned in the same way as an F 22 raptor's hull. Rendering the majority William's body nigh invisible to thermal, infrared, radar, and most importantly, magic based scans. On top of his NIJ level 3 helmet. He had donned a set of panoramic night vision goggles. His boot's had been modified so as not to leave visible footprints, and soften the sound of his footsteps. His rifle was the best part of it all, a Knight's Armorment SR 15 with a full auto conversion kit. With a suppressor, IR laser, handstop, and 5 times magnification optic designed for use with night vision, and a red dot on top, all made the weapon significantly more deadly than it would have normally been. William had Spent the past 2 hours modifying bear tranquillizers to work inside of 5.56 cartridge's. All within a 50 round extended drum magazine. But, oddly enough, one thing was missing. Twilight.

"Oh well, don't need her anyway." He pulled down his goggles, and vaulted over the railing of the low balcony he was standing on. Landing behind a rosebush, he made his way down a path. Before coming to the inner wall. There, through the NVG's, he caught a glimpse of purple fur. He reached out and snatched the alicorn, pulling her into the bush. " Twilight! Twilight! Stop fighting, it's me, William!" A few seconds later, Spike came tumbling in after her. " You didn't show up when and where I asked you. So I started myself. Do me a favor, stay out of my way." He dropped her, and disappeared into the darkness.

"What just happened?" Spike asked Twilight, " I have no idea."

"Alright... where's- Ah!" He felt along the base of the wall, and, with one good pull, tore away the painted sheetrock, revealing a hidden tunnel leading into the bowels of the castle. He climbed on though it, and covered the entrance with shrubs. The hallway appeared to have been neglected over the years, on account of the dust hanging in the air, and the cobwebs. He had gone about a hundred yards before he heard wings flapping. And from the quick pitter-patter that they made, it didn't take long for him to realize that it was a batpony. With a sigh, he ducked behind a wooden barrel, waited for it to approach, then jumped up and fired once into it's neck. The mare froze, and dropped in mid air. " Sorry about that." He whispered as he passed her. From there he found a stairway leading up to the castle library.

Lit only by moon and candle light at this hour. He moved swiftly up the nearest staircase, stopping briefly to avoid a unicorn patrol. He climbed out of the window, and from there. Straight for a least another 150 yards, and up 30 feet until he was staring through the stained glass window's of the throne room. With a quick sweep though his primary optic, he discerned that the room was empty. Except for a flock of sleeping birds which he didn't entirely recognize. Repositioning himself above the throne, he hooked a length of paracord onto the decorative marble, hoked it onto a carabiner on his waist, 'gently,' removed the window, and rappelled down. He stopped right above the throne. Sure enough, the foil crown was sitting there. With no guards in sight.

"Why would they just leave their crown unattended on their throne? Wouldn't their crowns be by their bedsides?" William groaned at the ignorance of the royals. But snatched it up anyway. And ascended back up, putting the glass back in place once he was outside. He turned around, and looked out at the vast open expanse below him, it was a good half mile to the ground from where he was standing. He didn't have his wings at this moment, what he did have was a parachute, which, thanks to his magic, had a guaranteed chance of opening. So, he pulled the cord, and jumped. And just like that, he was gone. The fake crown along with him. He didn't have the stamina to walk back home. Or the patience to wait for a train. So he circled back around to Canterlot, and booked a hotel room. Needless to say, the unicorn at the front desk was more than a little bit concerned when William came walking on in looking like he was about to take on the entire royal guard. And he didn't even bother to ask about the placebo crown he was holding.

William awoke from his sleep. He had actually found his first time in an Equestrian hotel rather nice. Kind staff, comfortable beds, good food. He quickly got dressed, and left the establishment for Canterlot castle.

The six, Shining armor, and princesses were clustered about in the throne room. Wondering what had happened the night before, the six had already confessed that they hadn't been the ones to take it. Then, William walked in, wearing the crown. "So, what's my prize?"

PreviousChapters Next