• Published 31st Dec 2021
  • 1,246 Views, 68 Comments

The Quiet Kid: Day by Day - aegishailstorm



The tale of a one man army's acclimation to day to day life in Equestria.

  • ...
63
 68
 1,246

PreviousChapters Next
The Thunder Rolls

"Huh?" William's eyes shot open as he sat up in bed. He recognized the sound as thunder and rain. Something he hadn't heard in quite a while. He rolled himself out of bed, caught himself before he hit the ground. And stumbled over to his window.

"Oh, would ya look at that?" He murmured, " We finally got a damn storm." William had always loved rainy weather. He never had to squint, that, and it always just seemed to make him happier. And as a person that was usually grumpy, that was important. He cracked his back, walked downstairs. Grabbed a quick snack, threw a raincoat on over his kit, and headed out. As he stepped out of the door, a bolt of lightning arced out across the sky. " Time for a walk. " Most of his neighbors were inside. But the few that weren't acted with their usual amount of hospitality and curiosity. Of course, William just walked on by as usual, the only acknowledgement he gave them was a wave. As he left street, and headed south, he noticed that the clouds were gradually beginning to disappear. " Damnit," He cursed, stopping to look up at the sky. "Would y'all mind playing with the weather somewhere else?"

" I don't think they can hear you."
"Joey, what have you been doing all morning?"
"I've been flying above the clouds." William shrugged, "Alright, can you go up there and tell them that William asked that they stop clearing the clouds and let me enjoy the storm? Cause If not, I'll slap a thermal sight on my optic and start picking them off from the ground." He laughed at the last part, but Joey took off anyway. The only reason he would ever threaten another creature is if they had wronged him in some serious manner. Besides, Ponyville could use a little rain. It was sunny most of the year anyway.

About 3 minutes later, Joey returned. " Sorry," William cracked his knuckles, " Seriously? They actually think-" William was interrupted when the weather ponies decided to drop a cloud on him. If it hadn't been for his jacket and poncho, he would have had to walk home soaking wet. His power to summon up any piece of military hardware may apply to uniforms, but it didn't dry it, or the angry Quiet Kid underneath, out.

"#### you! He grumbled, " Giving his jacket a tug. " Y'all should be glad I don't have wings right now. And that I don't have a thing against killing ponies!" He sighed, and walked off. Joey looked from the clouds, and the dim shapes of the pegasi above, and back to his angry friend. He flew off towards him, but froze in mid air when he heard a gunshot. William had graced the very tip of the left ear of the weather pony that had dumped all that water on him. Joey winced, shook his head, and flew off after him.

"I'm gonna go get my book back from Rainbow. William grumbled as the stomped his way into town. His near perfect morning had been ruined by a bunch of flying idiots. By now, there wasn't a cloud in the sky. William's jacket disappeared, and he stuffed the poncho into a vest pouch. He ran his gloves through his hair, and shook it. " Gah! It's still wet!" He caught sight of a little unicorn foal shouting for the, "Cutie Mark Crusaders?" William scratched his head, and went to stop the little colt. But he crashed into William first.

"Now hold on there little one, what's got you riled up?" He pulled the pony back up onto his hooves just as Joey showed up. " What'd you do now?" Joey asked with a roll of his eyes. " William glanced over at the colt. " Hey, he hit me first.'Twas an accident. It was, an accident, right?" The colt nodded.

"To answer your other question, I was looking for the CMC because I just got my cutie mark!" William glace over at his side, there lay the image of a slip knot. " So, lemme get this straight, you're mark, is a noose? What'd ya do? Hang somepony?" The grey-blue unicorn was vaguely unfazed by William's comment. And looked over at Joey's flank, " Hey, why don't you have one?" The alicorn's eyes widened, and he looked over at his side, "I've just... Never really needed one. I mean, I'm pretty good at most things I try. It's been 2 years, and one hasn't shown up. Besides, I've got more to worry about then a magic tattoo that's supposed to dictate my life. " William gave him a thumbs up. "Don't worry so much about it kid. But if you still wanna go pay 'em a visit. Well, I'm not stopping you." The colt gave him a nuzzle, and galloped off.

" How do you go from giving a weather pony a fur trim with a bullet to.. That?" William shrugged, " Redneck hospitality."

"But- You aren't a Redneck, how-" William gave him a scowl. " Stop while you're ahead. You already know you can't hurt my ego." He stormed off, with his head held high this time. He was still determined to get that book back. " You know, Joey. Know that I think about it, there's a lot of places on this continent I haven't been. I've fought in a lot of places. Killed a lot of bad creatures. But this world is just as full, if not worse than earth. And I can actually do something here. I know I'm not indestructible, but I am... to put it lightly, very, very dangerous." Before Joey could give him an answer. He replied with: " Ah, who am I kidding? I'll do what I please, I'm not here to wage other being's wars. I'm here of my own accord. Just something I learned a few years ago when I first showed up in this place."

" Oh look honey, another alicorn!" William glanced over his shoulder to find an orange pegasus and a brown earth pony stallion. Both were dressed in what he considered, " Jungle Explorer attire." Essentially what amounted to Indiana Jones wannabes. Personally he preferred jungle pattern BDU's and a ranger's hat with a mosquito net whenever he was out in the jungle. " Are you- Seriously!? I've been living here for like, 2 years now!" Joey cried out, William could tell they were new in town.

" We actually are, could you help us? We're looking for our daughter. She's a small orange pegasus, goes by the name of Scottaloo?" William groaned, " You just missed her. Names?" He folded his arms, and waited. " I'm Mane Allgood and this is my wife, Snap Shutter." William rubbed his eyes, " Well, I'm William. This over here is Joey. "

"You're a human, right? I thought you creatures were just a myth!" Snap walked up, and extended her hoof, William shrugged, and shook it, " Eh, glad to hear that Lyra and those creepy mages aren't the only ones."

"Hey, I know this might be a bit much to ask, but could I get your autograph? " William looked down at the mare, she was about as tall as Joey. "No. It's classified." The pair nodded, and left. But just before they were out of sight, William remembered something, " Hey! You know what, I met a pegasus with your exact same accent a few months ago. All 'round piece of ####, dark purple fur, you related. Both of them shook their heads. William meanwhile, reached over to the back of his vest and pulled out a flask of water. " Mpfh, you can go off and do whatever the hell you want. " Joey grinned, and flew off. At the same time, William continued making his way towards the other side of town. Where he knew with almost complete certainty Rainbow would be. But first, he stopped for a donut. As he walked into the shop he noticed an alligator, just causally minding it's own business, wandering down the road.

"Should I execute it?" William pondered as the waitress handed him his treat. He received his part of his answer when it was tackled and restrained by the 2 ponies he had met earlier. As he finished the donut he watched as the alligator broke free and made a rush for the café window he was sitting behind. Quickly, he rushed back out of the both and raised his rifle. Just as the reptile crashed though the window William put 3 rounds in quick secession into it's head. And as soon as the threat was ended, flipped the safety back on, and let the rifle fall to the lowest point the sling would allow it to. " Oh, by the way? I'm not sorry about the alligator. " He got up, and clutching his rifle with one hand, stormed out of the building.


" Hey, Rainbow? I know you're in there! I want my book back!" William called up. He was standing just beneath Cloudsdale, had he had the ability, he would have gone up there and asked her directly. But again, he was missing wings. So all he could do now was wait and admire the very, very strange liquid rainbows which seemed to be flowing out of the cloud city in seemingly random places.

" Here it is! By the way, I liked it!" The book fell right into his hands. Carefully, he inspected it. " Thanks for bringing it back in one piece!" Now that he had accomplished his daily goal. He had nothing left to do but head off to the Everfree, and get his daily static range training in. The thought of bringing Rainbow along briefly crossed his mind, but he quickly shot it down. He still tried his best to keep them in the dark about his... 'Tools.' He was now stuck wondering why he decided to walk all the way from Ponyville to Cloudsdale. But he didn't complain, because just as he began his long journey back. The distant sound of thunder rolling across the sky filled his ear drums.

"I got my damn wish after all."

PreviousChapters Next