• Published 31st Dec 2021
  • 1,249 Views, 68 Comments

The Quiet Kid: Day by Day - aegishailstorm



The tale of a one man army's acclimation to day to day life in Equestria.

  • ...
63
 68
 1,249

PreviousChapters Next
One and the same: Part 2

" Listen to the jingle. The rumble and the roar,

As she rides along the woodland or the hills and by the shore

hear the mighty rush of the engine!

hear those those lonesome hobos call!

travelin' through the jungle on the wabash cannon..."

William's voice faded as the train ground to a halt at it's destination. A bleak, rundown train stop in the middle of nowhere. Groaning in mild irritation as he, Fluttershy, and Applejack disembarked, and the lavishly decorated locomotive pulled way. Leaving them standing there in confusion. William swiveled his head from side to side, and spoke up. "Well this is a ####hole. Which way to those peaks Twilight was so worried about?" He spun around to face the lone shack on the cracked stone deck There was nothing but desert all around. With a few trees sprinkled in. Applejack tapped him on the shoulder. He turned again, this time. A cluster of distant mountains filled his vision. Encircled with fog and clouds. The wind as it happens, was quite a pain. And William had made sure to tie down any lose gear on his kit before stepping off the train. Applejack looked around.

"Guess nopony else is goin' out as far as we are." William laughed, " And why am I not surprised? You equines prefer the peace and 'harmony' of inner Equestria. I like this place already. It's quiet." He let out a small grin beneath his cowl. "But what if they know something we don't?" Fluttershy began trembling, William looked down at his watch "And 3,2,1-"

"I'm sorry." And old pony trotted out from behind a patch of nearby bushes, he had a camera hanging around his neck. "I'm not used to anypony taking the train to the end of the line! The final destination! The last stop! " The tone in the creatures voice told William that he was most likely- No, definitely or his proverbial rocker. " I get it, you've been out in the sun to long. But I'm not a pony. So please, get out of our way, and leave us be." He rolled up his BDU sleeve, and scratched his arm. As he took a step forward, the elderly pony tried again to stop him, " You should be careful. Nothing but... Uncharted terrain and wild beast out that way." William laughed. "Listen gramps, I spend my free time in the everfree forest, I don't give a ####." He marched off towards the distant peaks. The 2 mares followed close behind him.

From there, William made his way through through the bushland for several more miles. Crossing over a creek, scaling a few... Less than safe cliff faces, trudged his way through a rather nasty swamp home to a rather angry swarm of glowing insects. Whom he soon dispatched with a couple bursts of his flame. From there, he crossed over a few ravines which, to be honest. He probably should have taken more time crossing, but did it anyway, after all, he was excited. At last, after quite a while. He stumbled out into a clearing. Clad in a dark green guile suit over his normal fatigues, carrying an M4, and whistling, "Still In Saigon" He looked up, to find himself face to face with set of massive cliffs. Ones that he recognized from the map back home as the, 'peak of peril.' He just stood there, admiring his achievement, behind him, an earth pony crawled her way out of the brush, covered in scrapes and scratches. She was panting, out of breath, "Hey, William, you seen Fluttershy?" He stood still, blinked, then turned away to look at her, "No, I have not." Applejack shook her head an ran back into the trees. Leaving William alone in the clearing. He sighed, and slumped down against a rock.

" Hey, you two. Look what I found!" William called out, waving the 2 of them over to a patch of bushes up against the cliff side. He motioned to a large mossy boulder, " Applejack, help me with this thing." She trotted over to him. And together, they pushed it aside, revealing a dark passageway carved into the mountainside. "Where were you?" He asked, stopping for a moment to wipe the sweat off his brow." I was off looking for Fluttershy, found her as usual. With her animals." He grunted, "Let's go." He switched on his picatinny mounted flashlight, and led the way though the narrow passageway.


" Oh, there it is." He murmured to himself, the mountain gave way to a village. The Kirin village, to be specific nestled in with an assortment of trees. It was, frankly, amazing. He heard Fluttershy and Applejack gasp behind him. He could hear the bushes rustling all around them, but didn't raise his gun. "Hold." He ordered the 2 ponies at his side. They did as he had asked. A few seconds passed, then, at last. Something stepped out of the bushes, as he had guessed, it was a Kirin, slightly taller than the others. One he assumed to be the leader. It was joined by about a dozen others, who formed a circle around the three. William cleared his throat, " Hello there, my names William, these are my two... Er, companions." None of them said a word, they only stood there, blank expressions on their faces, " Alright, not the talkative type I see..." William turned away, and scratched his chin. "Uh... Hi there, my names Applejack, this here is Fluttershy. We heard ya had a friendship problem?" They didn't move. William tapped his foot, and clapped.

"So, I take it you won't mind if I take a peak around your village?" They still didn't respond. Finally, he turned to Applejack, "They're either hiding something. Or they're mute." He walked off towards the village. "Can any of you talk?" He repeated. Sitting down by a fountain near the village's center. Still, none of them spoke. And even worse, his patience was beginning to wear thin. Even with these mythical creatures which he happened to have an affinity for. They wouldn't speak. Hell, the expressions on their faces never went beyond that of a confused glare.

"I'm getting bored. Ya know, I was looking forward to a conversation with you creatures. So, I will ask one, final time. Do any of you talk?" A few of them pointed cloven hooves at a small, overgrown pathway leading deeper into the jungle. "Uh, alrighty then." He stood up, and cautiously made his way through the bushes. And into the forest, as he made it to the treeline, he turned to Fluttershy and Applejack. " Stay behind, come with. I don't care." Applejack nodded, and followed him. Fluttershy sat in place. Likely to terrified to follow them. "Watch out for Niriks!" She called out, William rolled his eyes, and grinned. " You kidding me?" He shook his head. And kept walking, he held no regard for Fluttershy's worries. He knew far, far more about this particular species than either of them, although, he wasn't about to spill it to them.

William trudged trough the forest at a modest place, staying on the main path as he continued whistling cold war era songs. He actually rather liked this part of the forest, it had a general aura of calm. That, and the humidity wasn't as bad as everywhere else. As he he stepped past a bush he heard it's branches rustle. "Y'all better not be trying to scare mw." He whispered to himself. Turning just in time to have a squirrel jump out of the bushes and chitter. "Really? All that tense build up... For that?" He groaned, and turned away. Just in time to come face to face with another Kirin. "Oh, didn't see you there. Hey, have you seen a-" He snapped his finger, "Wait a moment, are you the Kirin that can talk?" She shook her head, and he took a step past her, "Well then I guess I'll be on my way." The Kirin winched. "Wait, don't go! Ugh, it's been so long since I've talked to some one else!" William sighed, " Glad to know you don't use ponyisms. Unlike the damn rest of Equestria." She chuckled, " I miss talking, it's been so long. Hi, I'm Autumn Blaze, you've just arrived," She tugged at his pant leg, which he uncomfortably ripped away," And perhaps you're hungry and tried and reflective and you want to sleep and eat and churnnel, which you should do of course but first, oh what joy it is to talk with another creature it's been so long!" She jumped up on her hind legs and hugged him, "You must tell me everything about you there's so much to say so much to do and-" William clenched his fist.

"Listen, Autumn, I'd be more than happy to talk with you but. One, I like my personal space, and two, slow the #### down! Seriously, I haven't heard a creature talk this fast since I met Pinkie." He folded his hands, and she got down, "Oh, sorry. Uh, follow me." The Kirin trotted off, and William followed. It was at about this time when Applejack showed up, " Hey William. How's it going? I take it ya found the talking Kirin?" He nodded, " Damn right I did. "

Autumn Blaze led William up a long an winding path to her cottage. Leaping in excited bounds as she did. William said nothing, he just kept pace as best as he could. Finally, she came to a stop at the edge of a cliff, and looked out. William made his way to her side. From horizon to horizon, the land was covered in a strange mixture of savannah and jungle. A massive river cut though the landscape, and above it, a rainbow stretched into the clouds. "Damn, this is amazing."

"Oh, you think so too? The way the light shines off everything like-like it all suddenly woke up the moment-" William held up a hand, "Please stop, it's beautiful. Sure enough, could do without the rainbow though. Reminds me a bit of Africa back on my home planet." The Kirin raised an eyebrow, "Wait, you're an alien?!" He scratched his helmet, "Uh, yeah. Sorta... Look, it's complicated. Mind if we discuss this somewhere else? She leapt off towards he cottage. William jogged after her, "Oh, by the way, I figured I should mention. I was part Kirin at one point." This stopped her in he tracks, "Wait, what?" He smiled, "It's a long, long story. No, seriously, you better sit down." The 2 sat down on opposite sides of the cottage steps. "Anyway, where do I begin? Ah, yes... You see, about a year ago..."

Several hours later...

" Wow, just wow." As was usually the case when William gave out his backstory, the creature listening was amazed, most would never get to experience the things he did. In fact, it was so long and gruesome that he had decided to cut out most of it. Mostly, he just talked about his daily life in Ponyville, the strange powers that he had acquired from that group of now dead mages. And of course, per Autumn Blazes request, his transformation. She was amazed my the fact that he had not burst into flames whenever his temper flared up, he was curious about it as well. Although, he decided that he would put it off to the side. At least until he got back to Ponyville. " Alright, you've heard my story, let's hear yours." He could tell from the Kirin's posturing alone that she was about into burst into song. Instinctively, William covered his ears but this time. He decided to actually try and sit through it, after all, there was a still a slim chance it could be good. So, he sat patiently, and listened to the Kirin, he was joined by Applejack.


"Well, that... Actually, wasn't as bad as I thought it would." William murmured to himself as Autumn finished the last line of the song. " They actually though removing their ability to feel, well... A good idea?" He rubbed his forehead, it was quite apparent now what the issue here was. Good old fashioned Equestrian incompetence. " So, where's that 'cure' you stumbled upon? If we can get the rest of your village to take it, that should solve the problem." She sighed, and hung her head. "I used the last of the Foals Breath flowers to cure myself. And I haven't seen them bloom since."

"Damn, I can never have it easy. Oh well, least I could do is get your friends to welcome you back into the village." He spun around and began to make his way back down the mountain at a brisk jog, with Applejack in tow. "Uh, William. You sure you know what you're doing?" He nodded as he ran, "That damned map called on me. I didn't have to come, but I did. Besides, these are Kirin, they get me. And I get them." The earth pony's confusion remained, " What do you mean by that-" He was already gone.

"Alright, listen here. Everyone gather 'round!" He called out, per usual. Not a single Kirin responded. The only creature that did was Fluttershy, " Good news, I figured out what the issue here was. We just need to figure out a way to give them back their speech!" He folded his arms and awaited her response, "Oh no no no no no! We can't ever let that happen!" He let out a booming laugh, "Listen here and listen well. I know more than you. I'm not taking your suggestions." He began to turn away. "Wait! Just listen to what I have to say!" He ignored her, rather, he walked straight to the center of town, drew a .50 AE Desert Eagle, loaded it with blanks, raised it to the sky, and pulled the trigger. At last, he was able to get their attention, "Sorry, there was no other way to get you all to listen." He dropped the magazine in his gun and stuck it in a shoulder holster. Only to redraw it a moment later, "Anger is a lot like a gun. It's only dangerous if you don't control it, or misuse it. wiping away all your feelings just to control your anger is the equivalent of politicians trying to pass gun control laws. They do it simply because they don't see any other way, they fear that which they don't understand." They stared at him in confusion, so he held up his pistol again, "This, is a gun. It cannot, and will not hurt anything unless there is something there to use it. There is no such thing as a bad weapon, only a bad person." They nodded, finally, he seemed to be getting though to them.

A Kirin with dark red fur, a green mane and yellow scales stepped forward, and began to attempt what he could only assume to be charades. "Lemme guess, you want the cure now?" They nodded again, "Well, I'm going to have to ask Autumn where she came across those flowers." With his good mood slowly beginning to fade, he stormed off in search of the Kirin he had just left. And all the while he disregarded Fluttershy's cries to 'talk his decision over.'

PreviousChapters Next