• Published 31st Dec 2021
  • 1,250 Views, 68 Comments

The Quiet Kid: Day by Day - aegishailstorm



The tale of a one man army's acclimation to day to day life in Equestria.

  • ...
63
 68
 1,250

PreviousChapters Next
So... Where'd They Go?

Now, as it happens. William hadn't vacuumed his house in quite a while. And had pecked the hour before his balloon left for the Hayseed swamps in southern Equestria to do so. William wasn't usually much for house cleaning, he didn't really see it as having much purpose, especially because the guest's he had all over every day made a mess of everything. He had implemented a rule to fix this, no creature's upstairs unless he gave them permission. Especially the situation room at the end of the hall, and his bedroom even more so. He whistled along to, "Dirt on My Boots," As he finished both floor's, and moved to the back storage room of his house to drop it off. He then went over to his pantry, snatched a few thing's up for the road. Or, rather, the sky, stuffed them in an day pack. And headed out to the balloon dock on the other side of town.

" Good mornin' Joey."

He waved as he passed by, his friend waved back. Though slower, he was panting. " What, were you chasing a chicken or something?" The alicorn nodded, " No, actually, did you know that Crimson Starwatcher has a fondness for raising cockatrices? She claim's that they're a delicacy where she comes from! So, this morning, I, when I was passing by her house. I look over to find that she's corralling a half dozen of them she gathered up in the wood's, into a coop. A half dozen cockatrices, in one medium sized coop. Naturally, I offered to help her with it. She seemed pretty reluctant to let me help. But let me anyway, long story short one of them got out and started chasing me around. " William raised an eyebrow.


"You're an alicorn. And you ran from a cockatrice? Damnit Joey, I've seen you stand up to thing's far scarier than that. But since I know you way better than I know her I'm not going to ask you to go back there and apologize for being a coward. I mean, ya can if ya want to. But I ain't forcing you. " His eyebrow's dropped. " Thanks', I'll pass."

"Also, how have the six react the town's newest resident and her... Uncommon demeanor? Not that I care, it's just that I' curious."

" Most haven't gotten a chance to go visit her. Pinkie offered to throw Starwatcher a welcome party. But she declined. Rainbow got in a fight with her over the cloud's over her house. And I heard Rarity griping about her sense of fashion. And don't ask me why a creature with that much fur need's a snow jacket." William shrugged, and pointed east." I've gotta go. I'm finally heading off to the Hayseed swamps in search of Grogar the Necromancer." Joey put a hoof forward, " Wait, who, and-" William was already off, stomping his way down the street with the usual amount of anger and perceived authority.

" Do I wait for a pilot or can I just... Take off?"

The unicorn mare at the terminal shrugged, and looked away. " I don't care, you already paid me, just try not to crash it right away, ok?" William chuckled, then scratched his neck. "Ah, I don't have a pilot's license. But I'm pretty sure you don't need one in Equestria. I flew a balloon back on earth once. It wasn't that hard. Besides, I've watched other ponies fly them with no issue. " He lit the flame underneath the balloon, and in a few moment's, he was off the ground. Floating off to his destination. Which was... Where again exactly? Ah yes, Chrysalis had said the Hayseed swamps, not where in said Hayseed swamps. And why the hell did the Equestrian's name it that anyway? He would likely never know. Well, likely never know unless he asked. But he would have to ask later, as he was now roughly a thousand feet above the ground, on his way to... "Put down." A monster and a mystery which had been obsessing's over for the better part of a month. About half way there, as he sat there in the little wooden box keeping him from plummeting to his death, William heard a pair of wing's flapping alongside him. One's he didn't recognize.


"Hey! Who's up here with me?" He yelled out over the droning noise of the torch. There was a thump on the side of the craft as something snatched onto the size. Quickly, He drew his sidearm and moved to peer over the edge. There was Winger, wearing his standard issue royal guardspony golden armor. Clinging to the side. " Lil' help here?" He asked, "William sighed and grabbed him by the hoof. "What are you doing up here? Ain't you supposed to be up in Canterlot?"

"I'm on leave." The pegasus explained, stumbling over the edge and landing on all 4's. " What are you doing here?" He asked in the same tone. "I'm on a trip. To the Hayseed swamps."

"Ugh! Now why in Celestia's name would you ever wanna willingly go there!?" William sat back down and holstered his gun.

"I'm looking for something. Someone, to be specific." The pegasus looked more amused than anything else, "Who?" William sighed, " Grogar." Winger's eyes widened, " Grogar's just a legend. He ain't real." He looked up at the human as he sat down on the far side, " How much do you really think you know about me Winger? We've only ever met twice." The guard captain's face began grow dim with worry. " If what you're saying is true, than I gotta warn the princesses. " William held up his hand, " It's to late for that, I'm heading right for his headquarters. Well, the general area where his headquarters is supposedly located."

" And where, pray tell did you get this info? A changeling?" William snarked, " Yes, actually. I did. I happen to know the only known one of her kind to exist in Equestria. The former Queen Chrysalis. I've talked with her a few times. And we've became what I believe could be considered as, friends,' well, more like mutual acquaintances. " He looked to Winger, who was staring off into space in horror. William snapped, and he jumped off his flank and screamed. "Ah! Sorry, just a flashback. Are you sure she's not trying to deceive you?" William let out a booming laugh. Trust me Winger, she's far too morally conflicted to try something like that. " The pegasus gave him a slow nod. "Alright."


"Hey, do you wanna come along, or do you wanna leave?" Winger leaned on one leg and scratched his chin with another. "Ah, I think I'll leave. It's gonna be getting dark soon, and I wouldn't want to get in your way." William could tell he was being sarcastic on that last bit. Winger gave him a solute and then dived of the edge of the balloon. Disappearing behind a tall bank of clouds. William waved into the cloudy darkness, then sat back down just as a cloud drifted into his basket. Blanketing every thing with fog. When he finally left it. He could see the moon reflecting off the marshland and bayou's below. He was exactly where he needed to be, and, by some inexplicable means, just a few miles off course from him was the stone carving of a goat skull emerging from the swamp. An orangish glow illuminated it against the background of the swamp. Likely either a fire or lava. Though this place didn't strike him as the volcanically active type. It could've been lit through magic, but he'd have to actually get there before he could confirm anything. He tugged on the rope leading up to the top. Letting some of the hot air out and causing him to descend.


William set the balloon down on a small patch of stable ground about a quarter mile away. He threw a camouflaged net over it to conceal it from any, 'passerby's.' With the balloon and packet tucked away, he snapped on a set of quad scope night vision goggles on over his helmet. And exchanged the M4 had been carrying for an M250 light machine gun. He was after a creature which had at one point enslaved the whole of Equestria. And not in the soft cliché way that the other tyrant's in this world did. He was downright vicious. But then again, so was William. He didn't even plan to reason with him, he'd go in there, find him. And gun him down. If bullet's didn't work. He'd level the whole fortress with explosives. Though he wasn't quite sure how he'd deal with Chrysalis, Cozy Glow, and Tirek. But he'd cross that metaphorical bridge when it came to it.

He sloshed his way through the putrid water of the pitch black marsh, glad for the waterproof trousers and boots which kept him dry. It wasn't long before he had made his way onto the raised dirt pathway which led to the fortress. He he walked parallel to it, keeping his gun at height ready the whole time and his head on a swivel. At last, he was at the front entrance of the forest, he gave a section of the overgrown stone wall a firm kick. and it cracked, another time and he was inside. His pace sped up, he swept through the front room and down a narrow unlit hallway, surveying everything with ruthless efficiency. Expecting any one of them to pop out from around a corner. Or for a bolt of magic to come flying out of nowhere. But nothing, it was quiet. And not only that, but this place was far, far larger then it had appeared to be on the other side.

After 30 seconds he had entered into what had appeared to be a hearth room. Given that there was a massive fire roaring in a hearth. Alongside a giant stone table and 2 stone stairways descending from a second floor.

"Yep, bad guy hideout, for sure. Actually, this place is pretty nice. I think I might use it as a vacation home once I get the blood out of the floor." He slide checked his LMG. When all of a sudden, he heard an angry voice from the stairway above. " Well, well, well, if it isn't the Quiet Kid. I've heard quite a lot about you. " William sighed, he slowly raised his gun back up. Then in an instant, twisted around, put his holographic crosshairs on the giant magical goat's head. And held the trigger down for a whole 10 round burst. The monster collapsed on the stairs, dead. The gory corpse of Grogar disappeared, and was replaced by an entirely unharmed, albeit terrified Discord. "Wait, wait, stop shooting! It's me! I was just kidding!" William's expression dropped. " What the ####!? Where's Grogar, Discord!?" He stomped his way up the staircase, and loomed over the draconequus.

"There is no real Grogar. Well, there was, and he still might be out there. But it's been me this whole time! Please don't kill me! Those fool's stole my magic!" William seethed with anger. " Well then, where did the Bewitching Bell and your magic go?
And where the hell did Chrysalis, Cozy Glow, and Tirek go!?" He left hooked him across the snout. "I don't know, they just... Absorbed it's magic and took off." William rubbed balaclava clad forehead in mental agony. " Oh ####." He motioned for Discord to stay where he was, and took off running for his balloon. He knew exactly where they were headed. And, ancient goat magic or not. He'd still have to deal with them.

PreviousChapters Next