• Published 31st Dec 2021
  • 1,250 Views, 68 Comments

The Quiet Kid: Day by Day - aegishailstorm



The tale of a one man army's acclimation to day to day life in Equestria.

  • ...
63
 68
 1,250

PreviousChapters Next
A Rude Awakening

William found himself in a dark room, with no lighting.

"Uh, where am I?" He stumbled to his feet, and made for what appeared to be the exit. He pulled the hinge down, and peered outside. The hallway had a white tiled floor, and opaque windows on the side opposite of him.

"What the hell?" Cautiously, he stepped out into the hallway, suddenly, gunfire erupted from the far side of the hallway, forcing William back into the room, he slammed it shut. A moment later, the door swung open, reviling a pair of unmarked soldiers, clad in black armor, and carrying M4 Carbine's. One of them approached William, and raised his rifle to his shoulder.

"Wait, what are you doing?!" He yelled at them.

"Can it, pony!" One of the men hit him with the butt end of his rifle, sending him tumbling to the ground.

"Ow! Ok, that's it!" He raised his hand's to draw something to defend himself, but instead of a hand, he found a pair of hooves.

"No..."

"Night night, freak." The man pulled the trigger. Filling William's dream with red.


"Ahhh!!!" William sat up in his bed, and looked out his window, to find that it was already light outside.


"Heh, just another nightmare." He could hear knocking at his window.

"Hey, Quiet Kid, wake up!" He could hear his friend calling.

"Leave me alone!" He called back, covering his head with his pillow.

"Not a chance."

"Fine." William got to his feet and walked over to his bedroom window, pulling it open.

"Can I come in, my wings are getting sore." William chuckled.

"Not a chance, do you mind leaving me alone for 5 minutes until I'm, you know, fully awake?"\

"Oh, sure. See you in a bit!" He friend hovered away from the window.

"I can't stand him!" If you weren't already aware, constantly being surrounded by, and conversing with small, pastel colored magical horses wasn't exactly calming for a person's mental heath, much less so when you take into account that his friend was one of them. William shook his head, and kicked open his bedroom door, walked downstairs, grabbed his favorite mug, and made some coffee, no sugar, milk, cold. He sat down on his couch, and sipped his coffee.

"Ah, thank myself for these soundproof walls."

"Hey, Will, buddy, it's been more than 5 minutes!" He could hear Joey banging on his front door. Angered, he sat up, downed the rest of his coffee in one gulp, and walked to his front door. Swinging open, to reveal the smiling face of his friend.

"Let's go!"

"For that, I'm going to cut off your wings, and feed them to the first eldritch abomination I see walk into town." He watched as his friends ears flattened against his head, and slowly began to back away from him.

"Heh, I'm joking, I'd never ground you, at least, not permanently. I've told you not to call me 'Will' before, have I not?"


"Oh, good." He watched as his friend, tried, and failed to compose himself.

"So, what is it that you were so eager to drag me out of my house for?" Joey paused.

"Uh, I just thought you'd like to see the newspaper headline's." His friend's horn lit up, and the newspaper appeared in William's hands. When he saw it, he frowned.

"Waking up to a warzone"

"Keep reading." His friend insisted.

"While on a morning walk, a couple stumbled across what appeared to be the remains of several timber wolves at the edge of the Everfree forest, riddled with holes..."

"Let me guess, it was you?" William shrugged.

"I haven't the slightest."

"Well, either way, that doesn't change the fact that there's a platoon of guardsponies headed this way.

"What, now!?" In a flash of light, William's drab brown fatigues where replaced by a set of heavy body armor, an M249 squad automatic weapon resting firmly in his grip.

"Where are they!" He racked the slide.

"Woah, woah, calm down, I just said they where on their way, not that they where here in Ponyville at this exact time."

"Why are they coming here, who sent them?"

"How am I supposed to know?"

"Well, how long do we have before they arrive?"

"Few hours maybe? Besides, they might not even be after you."

"No, Celestia only sends out her lackey's for important things. They've got to be after me."

"Well, let's just go and talk to Twilight about it, I'm sure she can get everything sorted out for you." Despite the uncertain look on Joey's face, William decided to go with him."

"Fine. I already know the way there." William began walking off towards the castle on the far side of town.

"Hey, wait up!" Joey took off, and flew after him.

He walked down the streets of Ponyville, cracking his knuckles as he did, now, most ponies never would never bat him an eye. Obviously, they weren't anywhere near the level of trying to make conversation with him in broad daylight, but at least now they weren't running in fright, they understood (Most of them at least) that as long as they didn't try to hurt him, he wouldn't hurt them. That didn't stop the general feeling of discomfort and awkwardness that always hung in the air, for the most part, he just ignored them. After about 15 minutes, he was on the other side of town, staring up at Twilight's castle.

"Damn did I ever miss a lot during those 4 years, but then again, that's why I'm here, least here, the residents are a bit more understanding." He walked up to the door, and knocked.

"Hey, Twilight, it's me, William, we need to talk!" He could hear rustling, and a few moments latter, the door swung open, revealing a very, very sleep deprived Twilight.

"What?"

"Heh, guess you're not a much of a morning person either, can I come in?" She nodded, and William swung the other door open, and stepped inside.

"Alright, why did Joey just tell me that the royal guard was on their way down here?"

"Uh, routine checkup?"

"Don't sass me lady, are they after me?"

"Look, all I know is that after an 'incident' in the Everfree forest last night, Celestia thought it would be best to send down some help."

"Where those her exact words?"

"Yes. They where, is there a reason you're asking me this."

"No, no reason, I was just curious." William did a 180, and stepped out of the castle, slamming the door behind him.

"What did she say? "Joey asked, hovering above William.

"Freakin' Celestia sent them, well, there's not much I can do now, except wait for them to show up." He grunted.

"What if they try to arrest you?"

"Well, we all know how that would go down..." He chuckled, and patted the iron sights of his M249. Joey, on the other hoof, wasn't quite as enthusiastic about the arrival of the Equestrian military. The last thing he wanted was for his friend to get into a firefight with them. Most of all, he feared that after that, the princesses would attempt to use the elements of harmony on him, but that wasn't the worst part, the worst part was when he realized that they would lose. William spoke so casually about things that would drive any other sane sentient being insane. Well, except for one thing, after the Storm King's death, William had told him of his wish to be turned into a pony, this obviously, had taken him off guard, but, for the most part, he had just gone along with it, William made him swear that he would never tell another soul, with the exception of his explicit permission.

"Heh, as painful as it may have been, boy am I glad I ended up here of all places." He thought to himself as he followed William from overhead.

PreviousChapters Next