• Published 29th Dec 2021
  • 1,621 Views, 40 Comments

Wings of Friendship - Xonology



Twilight sets out to retrieve her stolen crown to prevent catastrophe. The world she ventures is more dangerous than she thought.

  • ...
3
 40
 1,621

Part II: Chapter 3

Ah yes, sleep. The only comforting place to hide from the terrors of reality. Or so I thought…

“Twilight wake up!”

A panicked voice called out to her. Of course, she recognized the voice, how could she not as he is the only thing that she had any sort of attachment to.

She heard the voice call out once more. “Twilight get up or so help me I will drag you out of here!”

The world shook her awake as if reality had become restless and urged her destiny to grow closer. She slowly opened her eyes to a dark dragon with a look of nervousness smeared all over his face.

“Yes, I’m up! What is going on Starflight?” She asked in a mellow tone.

“The NightWings had just left to fight!”

Twilight jumped up in surprise. She didn’t expect them to mobilize their forces this fast.

She took a quick look around and felt the emptiness of the world around her. It was very quiet…

“We need to get out of here. But we need a plan.”

Starflight stared at Twilight, she appeared calm so he did the same. But in reality, Twilight was just as panicked or even more so.

“If the Nightwings had all left for the attack, it would mean the tunnel is unguarded or at least less guarded as they would need to take their best fighters.”

Starflight nodded in agreement. “The place wouldn't be empty though. We have to consider the dragons that don't have any use in a battle.”

The first thing that came into mind was Starflight’s father. He had no use being on a battlefield, much less in an actual fight.

As if Starflight had heard her thoughts, he responded. “My father, he has a RainWing imprisoned in his lab. He had been doing experiments on the dragon since we got here.”

Starflight’s head hung low as he was reminded of what his father is doing. Twilight approached him and gave him a quick hug.

“It’s okay Starflight, we can go save the RainWing.”

Her kind words made him smile. But it quickly disappeared as the two heard dragons approaching.

“Hello! You are the ones from the mainland right?”

Twilight remained skeptical, she didn't know what they wanted or what their motive is.

“Oh right, sorry. My name is Mightyclaws.” the small NightWing pointed at the others.

“This here is Mindreader, and the grumpy one is Fierceteeth.”

Though the introduction was nice, that doesn't change the fact that they were listening to the conversation they had.

An awkward silence filled the room as Twilight was unsure if she was supposed to say something.

“Ahem.” Starflight nudged Twilight’s left wing as if signaling her to do something.

Starflight, let out a sigh as Twilight did not get the message.

“My name is Starflight, and my confused friend here is Twilight.”

Next time I'll just signal you in your mind. I feel that you don't have much social experience to know that you must introduce yourself after another dragon does.’

Oh, so that is what he meant.

‘Oops.’

The thought made Twilight embarrassed but she didn't show it.

Twilight was still stunned by the whole ordeal that had happened. When she got her thoughts collected, she processed the words of the dragon.

Mindreader huh?

Twilight looked at Mindreader and attempted to send a message without broadcasting thoughts.

Mindreader only glanced back at Twilight.

“Oh, don't worry. I won't read your mind. I won't need to unless you give me one.”

She was still unsure if Mindreader is well, a mind reader. So far all signs point to no.

“Oh please tell me about the mainland! Where did you live? Did you get to meet other dragons? Have you met any of the other queens? Did you find love?”

Mightyclaws bombarded the two with questions they can't answer as they didn't get a chance to.

Before Mightyclaws could think of another question, Starflight cut the energetic dragon off.

“Well I am a dragonet of destiny.” he had hoped that his answer would answer most of the questions Mightyclaws had asked.

“Oooh, that's cool!”

Fierceteeth wasn't impressed. As a plume of smoke exited her snout.

“What are you doing here anyway? Aren't you supposed to be stopping a war?”

“Well, I-”

Starflight didn't even get the chance to reply as Fierceteeth completely ignored it.

“What a failure of a dragon you are. I would be a better dragonet of destiny than you.”

Starflight had no words, maybe he was a failure.

Twilight took a step forward to defend her friend, “Starflight is no failure! As far as I can tell, he had accomplished more than you!”

Her tone told him that she truly believed in Starflight’s abilities.

“Tsk, whatever.” Fierceteeth turned to walk away. “Maybe if I get out of here, I can make a name for myself. I don’t care what Morrowseer says. I am worth something. More than you at least.”

Fierceteeth spat out that last sentence like it was with venom. It made Twilight flinch a little.

“What Fierceteeth meant was, please take us to the mainland!”

Twilight shook her head. “No, it's too dangerous. Besides can't you just leave yourselves?”

“We aren't allowed since ‘we aren't ready to keep NightWing secrets’.”

Mightyclaws held his head up high. “But make no mistake. We are powerful warriors of the NightWings! We are prepared for whatever the world throws at us.”

“If you say so, but you will help us if you want to get to the mainland.”

‘What is your plan Twilight?’

The words of Starflight printed out in her mind as a plan formed into existence.

‘If we encounter any guards or NightWings, they can create distractions or provide us information of anything we might have missed’

Twilight noticed that Starflight had gotten good with directing his thoughts to her. Maybe he had grown attached to her in some way. Nevertheless, it let her notice if he wanted to say something in the privacy of his head.

“We have some business in the Lab, then we can leave. Firstly, we need someone to come with us to the lab and keep watch for anyone still on the island. Second, the others will need to head towards the tunnel and make sure there aren't any guards so we don’t have to worry about anyone following us.”

Twilight pointed at Mightyclaws “You and Starflight will go to the Lab and finish whatever he needed to do. While the others and I clear the tunnel.”

Starflight quickly nodded while Mightyclaws quickly mimicked him. The rest were reluctant, but they were willing to do anything to get out of this wretched island.

“Be sure you have everything ready before we leave. Because we aren’t coming back. Meet back here in an hour then we will begin.”

The three NightWings nodded and left to see what things they could bring with them. Which left the two destiny-filled dragons alone once more.

“Can we trust them Twilight? I’m not so confident with reading people if you know what I mean.”

Twilight let out a quick chuckle and patted him on the back.

“Don’t worry, I have a feeling we can trust them. They want to get out of here like us, but for entirely different reasons.”

“Well, I trust you. Then I trust them too.”

Twilight wanted to look around hoping to find something useful for the great escape. She didn't find anything interesting so she walked around in a small circle and thought to herself.

Twilight eventually stumbled on a kind of bag. She could store anything too important to carry around with her talons. The first thing she thought of was the Dreamvisitor, she asked Starflight to store it to not lose it. Then her mind wandered to when she first arrived in this world. I wonder what happened to my bag back in the SkyWing arena.

The three NightWing’s returns broke Twilight’s train of thought. And Fierceteeth spoke up.

“Let's finish whatever crazy thing you need to do in the lab, and hopefully I will get to do something exciting. Let's go… Uh… You.” she pointed at Twilight.

“Twilight” she replied with a disappointing look.

“Yeah whatever, let's get out of here Twibright.”

“It’s Twilight-” but Fierceteeth had already left for the tunnel.

Twilight followed quickly with Mindreader right beside her. Starflight and Mightyclaws left for the Lab to free the imprisoned RainWing. She looked back at Starflight hoping he would be safe. The only reason she had the two of them split up was so they could each keep an eye on their fellow NightWings. She was aware of what she had said to Starflight, even though she didn't expect them to betray them, better safe than sorry.

The walk to the tunnel was mostly quiet as there was not much to talk about other than who Twilight is. Mindreader kept glancing in Twilight’s direction. It was clear that she had her questions. Luckily, she didn't have the chance to as they approached the tunnel.

From what she sees, there was a single guard. He didn't seem to be alert to his surroundings. I guess they did leave the incapable dragons behind.

Of course, this made sneaking past easier. It even had a bonus, no violence! Then again, they had their work cut out for them. All they had to do was wait for Starflight and Mightyclaws to return. Although that meant having to pass time by answering whatever Mindreader wanted to ask her.

“So… Who are you? I don't recognize you, and I know everybody.”

Twilight looked at Mindreader, watching her emotions and thoughts flicker all over her mind. She has no clue about what or who I am. If she did, she wouldn't ask that kind of question.

“I wasn't born on this island. From what they told me I was found on a random island outside the continent.”

Mindreader remained silent as she deciphered everything Twilight said. Though it did take a while since she hasn't replied for a good five minutes. Now that I think about it, what is taking Starflight so long?

She felt a soft tap on her shoulder. It looked like Mindreader was finished thinking.

“Sorry to bother you again but, did you ever find your real family? If a random dragon found you, do you think they care about you?”

Twilight took a deep breath and took in the handful of a question. She decided to answer her with what her time in Ponyville taught her.

“What is real family? Is it a birthright or the memories and experiences you share? If you want a real family, then regardless if you were born into it or not, a real family acts like one.”

Mindreader didn't like that answer. Mostly because it wasn't an answer. Nevertheless, it helped her understand what it means to be a family. She looked back up at Twilight and gave her a determined look.

“I think I get it, thank you Twilight. I hope that you too find what you are looking for.”

Mindreader quickly turned to bother Fierceteeth as she completely missed the surprised look on Twilight’s face.

Twilight shook her head and decided that she should come up with a plan after they left the NightWing kingdom.

Firstly she would need to have an idea of where Sunset Shimmer might be. Which is nothing, it was hopeless. She didn't know what she was doing. She had been following Celestia the entire time. Twilight doesn't even know which dragon race she may have ended up being.

Twilight started to panic, her heart beat faster as she started to breathe irregularly. But before it had the chance to get any worse, she was greeted by Twilight and Mightyclaws, as well as the mystery RainWing he decided to rescue.

“Twilight! We’re back, we should get out of here quickly!”

Starflight spoke in a rushed manner, it sounded like something went wrong. Twilight decided that it was not worth worrying about and took a quick breath.

“Then let's get out of here!”

She waved at Mindreader and Fierceteeth, signaling their movement. Twilight quickly moved behind the single NightWing guard and attempted to sneak past.

“Hey-”

She heard Starflight’s voice before a short thud.

“Why did you do that?!” Starflight said angrily.

“We needed to get past the guard so we took him out,” Fierceteeth stated.

Starflight still annoyed at her actions, “Next time, don't use me as a weapon.”

Fierceteeth let out a short laugh, “I'll think about it.”

Twilight waited for the situation to calm down before she walked through the tunnel. It had the same feeling as if you used a teleportation spell. If she were to describe the feeling, it was running through a tight corridor as your body vibrate while the walls shook violently.

It wasn't a pleasant experience when she had first used a teleportation spell, though this tunnel felt more unstable and imperfect. Although it did not have the same downsides as regular teleporting, it did cause them to experience disorientation for a few minutes.

After they reached the Rainforest, the RainWing felt reluctant and with leaving her rescuers fearing that she may get captured again.

They decided to go Northwest of the tunnel and lay low until the NightWing skirmish ended. The group set up camp behind a large boulder and a couple of trees. The RainWing, Orchid had wanted to sleep on the trees since it had been a more comfortable choice for her.

Ever since they reached the rainforest, she didn't have the chance to appreciate its beauty. In her defense, she was too busy worrying about being captured and separated from Celestia.

It was truly stunning how nature completely dominated this place. The trees are strong and tall. The fruits are bright and delicious. The plants grew from every crevice she saw. And the animals… They were something else. Something different, but still something at the very least.

She looked around at the scenery around her one more time. Twilight remembered what the Everfree forest was like. In a sense, it was similar, but also different. Each had its share of dangers and is ruled completely by natural causes.

Despite all those present dangers, she can't help but feel calm. In a completely alien world, she had found a friend. And if you think about it, it is more than one.

She looked over at Starflight where he can be seen trying to make a makeshift bed with leaves. It had been a few hours since they left the NightWing kingdom. So far there hasn't been any kind of pursuit on them. Which made Twilight think about all the lives that are at risk and she possibly sent Celestia as well as Starflight’s friends into danger.

Twilight violently shook her head to distract her from her apparent actions. The bag she carried around nearly broke from the shaking. She quickly stopped to check whether or not she had lost the only magical item available to her.

She sighed in relief as everything was how she left it.

“Rawr!”

“Sweet Celestia!”

Twilight jumped up in surprise. She rapidly swung her head to the source of the sound. Only to find a giggling Mightyclaws and Starflight.

She heard an annoyed groan just behind the two silly fillies.

“Can you all be quiet? I'm trying to get some rest…”

Fierceteeth still seemed intimidating to Twilight. Her words may be harsh and to the point but they carry the burden on her heart. She is the type of dragon to carry out her own words to the teeth. No pun intended.

Twilight laughed internally at her joke. Nevertheless, it did distract her from her initial thoughts of endangering her mentor.

“So Twilight… I can't help but notice that you are worried about something. Please tell me what it is, I want to help you.”

“Oh… No no. It's nothing really, just thinking to myself.”

“If you say so, but if you ever need to talk, you can ask me. Okay?”

Twilight felt the same feeling she had felt when she first learned her lessons on friendship, the warmth she had craved ever since she left her family and friends behind to save the world.

“Promise.”

Mightyclaws was still giggling from his little gag with Starflight as he ran over to Mindreader to tell her his tale. The only issue now is food, which was quickly resolved thanks to the resident fruit gatherer.

Orchid had told Twilight about some fruits that are poisonous or strong hallucinogens. Twilight became more grateful to Starflight for his good deeds.

After the group ate Mindreader and Mightyclaws suggested a question game where each dragon would get to ask one question until they run out or become tired enough to sleep. Orchid quickly retired for the night. Fierceteeth had already fallen asleep assuming that she had eaten before Orchid had delivered them fruit.

They asked each other questions ranging from their favorite colors to life-changing questions. The most recent question confused most of them as Twilight made a good point.

“If we are NightWings, then why don’t we sleep during the day?”

Everyone’s initial thought was because their scales were colored like the night sky or the typical reaction of being ‘dark and mysterious’ dragons like the older dragons would say. Then Starflight pointed out a fact that they missed.

“Why would NightWings have the camouflage of the night sky if they were to be asleep at the time of night.”

“Oh! That is because… we… wait… why don’t we sleep at night? Makes a lot more sense!”

“What do you think Mindreader?”

Mindreader had stayed silent to not become confused and stuck with her original answer.

At that point in the game, everyone had exhausted their thinking organs and decided to sleep to not become even more confused.

Everyone else had already fallen asleep and Starflight seemed to be thinking about what Twilight had said.

Twilight decided not to ruin her sleeping schedule this time, unlike all the other times when she would do research or read a small number of books. Well, a small amount by Twilight standards.

She curled her body around herself like how cats would usually sleep. Before she visited the world of sleep, she thought of how long she had been in this world. Somewhere around a week and a half, her progress with recovering her stolen element is still null.

She hoped that sleep with wash away all her stress and worries. Twilight closed her eyes and quietly went to sleep.


Twilight woke up from her dreamless sleep. Much to her surprise, everyone else was still asleep. She wondered if the animus stone had to do anything with her dreamless sleep and how it overwrites the flow of the bearer's dreams.

The sun had been up for a couple of hours, everyone must have been really tired. Twilight couldn't tell if they were tired of traveling or the complicated statement that questioned the entire NightWing race.

She decided to let them sleep and go for a walk around the rainforest hoping to find some food of some sort.

Twilight made sure not to wander too far from the camp and remembered most of what Orchid had told her. Which fruits were safe to eat and which to generally avoid.

Although some of the fruits are similar to her world, she wouldn’t risk eating an alien fruit regardless of its appearance.

After wandering for a few minutes, she collected a handful of fruits to bring back to the group. Twilight had eaten a few of the fruits on the way back. That's when she heard something nearby.

It sounded like a shriek in the distance. Twilight quickly sped towards the camp while dropping one or two fruits in the process. The sound was horrific and she hoped not to encounter the possible monster the sound came from.

When she returned to the camp everyone had woken up and started to get ready to leave. Twilight laid the fruits she had gathered on the ground and the others quickly snatched one for themselves.

“I never thought food from the mainland was this good! All we got to eat back there was weird dead animals.” Mightyclaws stated as he munched quickly on the sweet fruit.

Mindreader nodded in agreement as she bit into the fruit while Fierceteeth minded her own business and stayed quiet.

After they ate, Fierceteeth got up and prepared to fly. Before she could, Twilight stopped her.

“Wait! What are you doing?”

“Isn’t it obvious? I’m leaving.”

Twilight was still confused, did they forget that there is a war? Or were they just as crazy as Pinkie in a party cannon convention?

“Oh? Didn’t we tell you? We are going on our adventure!”

Mindreader rolled her eyes, “Meaning that we are following Fierceteeth on whatever danger she is going to put herself in.”

Twilight wanted to stop them as she feared that they will get themselves killed.

“Don’t worry about us! We can handle ourselves, right Fierceteeth?”

She replied in annoyed angry grunts.

“See?”

Twilight was still reluctant but she learned before that she had to trust other ponies and their capabilities.

Twilight smiled as she thought of her ponyville friends.

“Okay, I wish you luck. I hope to see you guys again.”

“You too!”

Before Mightyclaws could finish saying goodbye, Fierceteeth had already flown off. Mightyclaws quickly flew after her with Mindreader silently chuckling to herself.

Then there were three.

Twilight, Starflight, and Orchid thought of what to do next. Orchid had suggested going to the RainWing village as she hoped to meet back with someone important to her.

Twilight wanted to look for Celestia, but she wanted to help Orchid all she can. Hopefully, she could get some clues at the RainWing village.

With the plan set in motion, Twilight and Starflight flew behind Orchid, following her to the RainWing village.

They flew over and under tree branches almost crashing into the trunks on multiple occasions. Orchid had wanted to get back as soon as possible but Twilight suggested taking a break to avoid the possibility of crashing again. She could not handle all the quick turns and maneuvers flying around the trees required of her.

Then there was another shriek. It startled Twilight including Starflight.

“What was that?! That is the second time I heard it today!”

“That’s nothing, probably an animal mimicking sounds.” Orchid stated. “The other RainWings teach them weird sounds to scare off anyone who wanders the rainforest.”

A feeling of relief washed over her. She was thankful to have a rainforest resident with them. If she wasn’t here Twilight would’ve gone crazy.

Right as they finished taking a break, there was rustling in the bushes. Orchid quickly readied to defend herself, she was determined not to get captured again, even if that meant using her venom on dragons. She slightly opened her jaw exposing her fangs.

Twilight carefully approached the bush, “Who’s there?”

Starflight stayed beside Orchid, ready to fight as well.

Then before Twilight could check the bush, something fell from the trees and landed directly on top of Starflight.

“Starflight! We found you!” The bright yellow dragon said. Sunny hugged Starflight.

“Sunny? When did you get here?”

“Celestia told us to look for you in the rainforest,”

Twilight looked around for Celestia as it looked like she wasn’t with them.

“Where’s Celestia?” Twilight asked worriedly.

Sunny frowned as she recalled Celestia’s words. Twilight did not like the feeling she got from Sunny’s expression. It made her worry about what she had to say.

“Celestia stayed behind to help the MudWings fight off the attack. I’m sorry Twilight.”

Clay wrapped his wings around Twilight trying to comfort her. She didn’t know Twilight too well but she didn’t need color-changing scales to see that Twilight was in distress. You could see it on her face and the way her body shook.

What do I do?! Celestia is gone and I have no idea what I’m doing! I haven’t even gotten anywhere with this mission, and now the only guide I have is gone!

Twilight began hyperventilating and panicking simultaneously.

“Take me to her!” Twilight begged.

Sunny stood still unsure of what to do in this situation. Orchid stayed in the back confused. And Clay expressed the same worry Twilight felt but not as intense. Glory is still beside Twilight attempting to comfort the distressed NightWing.

Tsunami slapped Twilight to try to calm her down.

“Calm down! Celestia told us that you have a bigger responsibility that is more important than protecting a tribe from an attack.”

Twilight still shocked stayed silent.

“Celestia took care of us so we trust her enough to trust you. I plan to repay her in any way possible!” Tsunami stated.

“Although you are both strangers, we have no reason not to trust you.” Glory said honestly.

Starflight stared at Twilight, “Twilight, what is it? You can tell me.”

Twilight was hesitant, she still doubted herself and she couldn't drag everyone else down with her.

“Please… let us help you. Let me help you.”

Sunny wants to stay positive, “Yeah, we can handle anything!”

She looked into Starflight’s caring eyes, he wanted to help her all in any way. Starflight, the dragon that had helped her the most since she got here. She looked around at the other dragons and saw the same spark that her friends had.

Clay’s Kindness, Tsunami’s Loyalty, Glory’s Honesty, Sunny’s Laughter, Starflight’s Generosity.

It may not be a mirror match, but they share similar traits and bear different personalities. But…

“You promised…”

Twilight realized that she can trust Starflight and his friends. Her mission is arguably more important than stopping the war. Besides, there won't be a war to stop if there are no more dragons left to fight it, or anything to fight for as both worlds will be destroyed.

Twilight only ever needed one thing. It was friendship, the only thing that had kept her going. Then she took a deep breath and out came the truth.

“I am Princess Twilight Sparkle of Equestria, and the world is in danger.”

Comments ( 5 )

Hey, are you going to do more

Hi, when are you going to continue the story?

Interesting
It seems these worlds had a crossover event
(Can you unhiatas it? I would love that!)

Login or register to comment