• Published 29th Dec 2021
  • 1,616 Views, 40 Comments

Wings of Friendship - Xonology



Twilight sets out to retrieve her stolen crown to prevent catastrophe. The world she ventures is more dangerous than she thought.

  • ...
3
 40
 1,616

Part I: Chapter 2

Spinning and spinning, I didn’t know my eyes could spin so much. It felt like I was going through 13 dimensions, which was half right when you think about it. After what felt like hours of non-stop spinning, I fell onto the ground with a short thud.

“Ouch, my head hurts.” Twilight’s head was still spinning from the rough entry they had. “Twilight are you okay? You look different but not at the same time.”

“Wha- what? Princess Celestia, is that you?” Twilight stared at the light orange dragon in front of her, she appeared to be a dragon with large wings, thin and long snout as well as long, curved horns on their heads.

“Yes Twilight, I’m here. Please call me Celestia, I want us to be of equal terms.” She said with a smile.

“Uh okay, Prin- I mean Celestia. Just wondering. If you look like that, what do I look like?” Twilight asked Celestia.

“I brought a communication mirror with me so we have some sort of contact with Luna just in case, but it seems to be cut off. It acts as a normal mirror now, and it would be quite difficult to describe in this light so I suggest finding a better place to look at our reflections before we do.” As the two princesses fixed their packed gear, they headed towards the mouth of the cave. But before leaving Twilight noticed the portal closing.

“Wait wait wait! The portal is closing!” Twilight panicked at the thought of being trapped in an unknown world.

Celestia calmly responded to her hyperventilating student. “Don’t worry Twilight, once we find Sunset Shimmer and retrieve the element of harmony, we can use its connection with the tree of harmony to reopen the portal.”

Twilight was calming down a bit, but she was nervous at the risks that this mission holds should she fail. “Oh okay.”

As they walked out of the cave, they could see a huge mountain range and small forests around it. The cave where the portal was located is one of the many caves on what seems to be the tallest mountain in the area. The ocean was south of their location, to the west was the desert, to the north were the rest of the mountain range, and finally a rainforest to the right.

Right before they took off, Twilight heard something. It was a voice and it sounded like it was in pain. “Did you hear that?”

“Hear what Twilight?” Celestia looked at her with curiosity.

Twilight fell silent, she wasn’t sure what it was so she decided to ignore it. “Oh never mind, it was probably the wind.”

The night was quickly approaching, and the two quickly decided that going east into the small forests would give them a good area to set up camp for the night. They decided to fly down the mountain but Twilight was relatively new to flying with wings in general, and flying a new type of wings was a challenge in itself. Celestia proved to be a more experienced flier, but a little rocky.

“Celestia, when did you learn to fly with these wings?” Twilight asked curiously.

“Well when you have lived as long as I, you have time to study other species’ biology and more specifically, how they fly. Although it would take time getting used to.” She replied with a wink.

As they landed on a small clearing with several trees around, it was best to set up their camp under the trees to avoid rousing attention. They assumed that the rest of this world’s inhabitants were dragons, considering the form they took when they arrived.

Twilight managed to figure out how to breathe fire after taking care of Spike for so long. It was like normal breathing but hotter and in Twilight’s case, more effort. Celestia was cooking the fish they caught in the nearby river while humming a song to herself.

After they finished eating, Twilight wanted to ask for the longest time what Celestia brought with her to this very important mission. “Pri- Celestia, what did you bring with you for our mission?”

Celestia smiled at her intrigued look, “Since I knew an unknown world can be dangerous, I brought some items for self-defense such as weapons or armor.”

Celestia pointed at the enchanted necklace. “I created this artifact specifically to combat Sombra’s magical attacks. It was designed to create armor around its user regardless of species and size. It proves to be useful in situations like these in case we happen to run into danger. I also included a binding enchantment so it could only be removed by the one wearing it, as well as a cloaking enchantment that keeps it hidden to anyone without the user’s permission.”

Celestia activated the enchanted object and dark orange armor pieces appeared around Celestia’s head, chest, claws, and wings. The armor set had a theme of the sun, which was only expected of the sun princess.

After a few minutes of admiring Celestia’s gear, Twilight and Celestia would lie down on the grass and look up at the stars. The sky appeared to have two moons, which only proved to them that they were in fact in another world.

Twilight wanted to look at her reflection, she was wondering what she looked like as a dragon. She looked like a dragon with black scales with a dark purple underbelly. Her wings had scattered silver scales that mimic the stars of the night sky. She looked closely at her face and she had silver teardrop scales around the corner of her eye. It seems like there are different types of dragons in this world, Celestia and I don’t appear to have many similarities.

Then a thought came to her, “Celestia, can I ask you something?”

Celestia smiled at her “Anything Twilight.”

“If Sunset Shimmer lived here for a long time, what do you think she would look like.”

I never really thought about that, how are we supposed to find Sunset or differentiate her from everything else?

Twilight responded to Celestia “I’m sure we can think of something to find Sunset, maybe we could ask around.”

Celestia stared at Twilight for a few seconds unsure of what to think. “Wait how did you know what I was thinking? I didn’t say anything.”

“You didn’t? I thought I heard you say something.” Twilight said with surprise. She didn’t expect to get mind-reading powers.

“Hmm, try doing it again.”

Twilight, who is your brother?

“Shining Armor? What about him?” Twilight was a bit confused.

“It appears you can read minds, considering we don’t have horns for using telepathy magic but I know you have some experience regarding this type of magic.” Celestia paused for a moment.

“Twilight.”

“Yes?”

“Could you still feel magic in your body?”

Twilight thought about what Celestia had said.

“Now that I think about it, yes I do. But it is like I have no way of manipulating it without my horn.”

“If we follow the same rules as telepathy magic, we can technically use your mind-reading ability to use your magic to set up mind links with each other for communication purposes. Although the range would depend on how far you can read minds.”

They tinkered with Twilight's ability before forming the bridge between their minds.

’ It appears to function as intended.’ Celestia thought.

’Agreed’ Twilight replied.

After a long night, they decided to sleep the night away. The only difference was the absence of Luna’s dream presence in her sleep. But other than that, it was a dreamless night.


Morning

Celestia woke up early thinking she was to raise the sun only to forget that this world followed the natural order. Twilight won’t wake up for another hour, she thought that Twilight would need the rest for the rest of the flight wherever this journey takes them.

Celestia would fly around and study their surroundings while thinking of a good route to follow. She was still unsure what direction to go but her instincts were telling her to go North.

Celestia returned to their small camp to which Twilight was already getting herself ready for the day. “Good morning Twilight.”

“Good morning, I was just fixing our stuff for us.” Twilight let out a smile.

“That's nice of you.” She smiled back. “Anyways, I was flying around and I think it's best to go north. I think we should be able to find something.”

Twilight nodded in response. After finalizing their preparations, they took off in flight.

The pair flew past the mountains, traveling even further north. Though this mission could take months to even a year, they knew they couldn’t fail. After a few days of rest and flying, Celestia spotted 3 dragons below them. Two of them were smaller than the other dragon, the smaller dragons are brown and the other blue. The larger dragon is dark orange. She quickly notified Twilight of what she had seen through their mind link.

What should we do? Twilight asked. You couldn’t tell what emotions were conveyed through the mind link, but Celestia could tell she was worried.

I think we should land somewhere close and observe them, we should only act depending on what happens.

As they landed behind a few trees, they tried to get close enough to hear the conversation. As soon as they got near, “Just give her back her treasure, and let’s go.”

The larger dragon replied, “A Mudwing using his head, you don’t see that every day.” The orange dragon approached the blue dragon with white smoke coming out of her snout.

’ Mudwing? I guess we know what he is called, and by the looks of the orange dragon I may belong in the same category as her.’

Twilight nodded silently beside her. They continued to listen as the conversation started to escalate further.

“All right, we don’t want any trouble.” The blue one stated.

The orange dragon formed a frown, “Oh, neither do I. That’s why it makes me so sad when trouble keeps coming to me. Nobody touches my treasure.” She said as she tightly grabbed the blue dragon’s talons.

The brown dragon moved forward but was stopped by the fire from the orange dragon.

“We didn’t know! We don’t even know who you are!” The blue dragon said loudly.

“Oh, didn’t I say? My name is Scarlet. But I highly recommend you call me Your Majesty if you want to live.”

’ It seems this Scarlet dragon is of royalty, but her personality appears to be… Explosive.’

‘Or maybe she is just insane.’ Celestia could tell there was sarcasm present but for all she knew, Twilight could be right.

Scarlet began to speak again. “Now you, MudWing, make me curious. We’re on the same side. So why didn’t you recognize me?”

The blue dragon attempted to interrupt her but was cut off. “Like I said-“

“I like to hear the MudWing speak.”

The MudWing looked afraid when he responded. “We, uh,” he stammered. “We’ve been underground awhile… kind of always… We’re just passing through.”

Scarlet stared at him with a look of disbelief.

“I mean— it was an honor to meet— a— it was very— we have to go.”

“Already?” Scarlet said. “But that’s heartbreaking. I hate being abandoned mid-conversation. There’s so much more I want to know about you.” She brushed the tip of her claw along the brown dragon’s chin. “ I think the only place you should go is back to my palace in the sky. Doesn’t that sound thrilling? Don’t say no, it’ll hurt my feelings. You’re just what I’ve been looking for.”

The blue dragon grabbed what appeared to be a small sword far too small for dragons. Then the blue dragon stabbed the royal dragon’s tail.

“Fly!” The blue one yelled.

’ What do we do?’ Twilight sounded panicked.

We follow those two, I think it is best to avoid the murderous royal as much as possible. Twilight nodded and began following them from under the trees.

The pair they were following stopped at a ravine and a boulder, they appeared to be looking around for something. Before Celestia could think of what they were looking for, the boulder slowly rolled, and behind was a cave. A small yellow dragon jumped out with joy after a while they all went inside.

While waiting for something to happen, Celestia couldn’t help but think of Sunset, she remembered when she would be so happy, she practically bounced around her room. Celestia smiled at the thought but was short-lived. Would Sunset have the same reaction when I find her?

After a while, Celestia spotted the infamous Scarlet approach the cave entrance.

Something bad will happen if we don’t do anything. Celestia gave a worried look at Twilight, and she returned it with her own.

As Twilight and Celestia got closer and were approached by a group of dragons with armor and spears. The pair was quickly detained. The pair didn’t know what to do, she knew retaliating would only make the situation worse, especially since their escorting their royalty.

One of the guards spoke up with a hint of confusion. “What do we do with them?” He asked his fellow guards.

“Let's just take them to Queen Scarlet, their fate lies with her.”

They were brought towards the cave entrance. As they approached the group at the central cave, all they could hear was a chilling crack. Then a scream, “No! Dune!” There was a dragon on the ground, dead.

To Twilight’s horror, she could only keep quiet. Celestia did the same.

Then a red dragon lunged at the guards, “Tell the Talons!” She shoved the blue-green dragon towards the river. As the dragon escaped the soldiers apprehended the rest of the dragons, the Queen approached the two princesses.

“Oh my, what do we have here. A NightWing and one of my own.”

A nearby soldier approached the queen with a salute. “Your Majesty, we found this pair sneaking around the area.”

“I see a NightWing and a SkyWing. I assume they are with the Talons as well.” She looked at Celestia and said, “So are you two affiliated with the Talons?” Before Celestia could talk, she was interrupted “Great! More traitors for my arena!” She said happily with a smile.

“This is great, two NightWings in one day!” She looked over at Twilight.

“Be sure to be thrilling, I love a good show.”

Celestia was worried, Twilight didn’t have any sort of combat experience, aside from offensive magic. She wouldn’t last long in a death arena.

The soldiers gathered the prisoners and started to go north what she could only assume is their palace.

While they were walking, Celestia looked at the other prisoners, one resembled Twilight so she could assume that he is a NightWing. Celestia didn’t seem to find anyone else aside from the other SkyWing prisoner present. The SkyWing approached Celestia. “Who are you? I don’t remember you from the Talons.”

“We aren’t from the Talons, whatever that is. We were only looking for someone.”

“You are traveling with a NightWing, I don’t know what those bastards are thinking.” Celestia had to think of a fake story.

“We were living at the edge of the continent, away from everything so we don’t know what is going on for the past few decades.”

She looked at her with a hint of resentment, “I don’t know whether to be happy for you or be jealous you got to live a somewhat peaceful life.”

Celestia felt sorry. Until the SkyWing spoke up again. “Since we are practically in the same boat, I should ask. What’s your name?”

“Celestia.” She said

“Kestrel.” She replied

Celestia looked ahead, Twilight was conversing with the other NightWing.


“Hi, I’m Starflight, are you with the Talons too?” He asked curiously.

“Um, no.” She was unsure of what to say. After a while she replied. “I’m Twilight Sparkle. You can call me Twilight.”

After a few minutes of walking, Starflight spoke up again. “Hey, Twilight. I got a question, do you like to read?” Twilight was shaking with joy, ignoring the fact that they were captured.

“Yes, yes! I love reading! Do you have any books?” Twilight quickly said.

“Me too! But what’s a book? We only have scrolls.” He said tilting his head.

“Oh, it is kinda the same thing.”

As the pair talked about their love of reading, they approached closer to the palace.

Celestia and Twilight could only imagine what waits for them.

Author's Note:

I kinda took the dialogue from the book since they didn't have any interaction with Celestia or Twilight. So the rest of the story would just be me telling the story with dialogue based on what happens after the two princesses talked with the DoD. From here we get somewhat different events but still follow the storyline.