• Published 29th Dec 2021
  • 1,612 Views, 40 Comments

Wings of Friendship - Xonology



Twilight sets out to retrieve her stolen crown to prevent catastrophe. The world she ventures is more dangerous than she thought.

  • ...
3
 40
 1,612

Part I: Chapter 1

“Sunset Shimmer?”

“Sunset Shimmer is…an old student of mine.” Celestia wanted to say something else but she left any information connecting the two of them there. “She was working on a special project involving an unknown type of magic.”

The mention of a new type of magic with so many research possibilities earned Twilight’s full attention.

“Ooh, a new type of magic that I can study and research?” Twilight said with a sparkle in her eye accompanied by a small bounce of excitement.

“Please, Twilight focus.”

“Oh, sorry. Continue.” Twilight gave out an apologetic look.

Celestia continued to explain what little she knew about what happened to her old student.

“As I was saying, Sunset Shimmer was privately studying unknown magic. Specifically dimensional magic.”

Celestia found it difficult to find the right words as she recalled the memories that haunt her dreams.

“Sunset was studying the magical properties of this mirror. It was thought to have led to another world.” Celestia stated.

“Although there were…complications that arose. I believe it left Sunset Shimmer stranded in that world for many years.”

Twilight looked confused, “Since she came here unannounced, there must have been a way to return right?”

“Yes, the portal opens every 5 years.”

“Then why hasn’t she returned when she had the chance?”

Celestia was still unsure of why everything has happened the way it did.

“I don’t know Twilight. I do not understand Sunset’s motives or what she plans to do with the element.” Celestia looked worried not for herself, but someone else.

“But I do know that having an Element of harmony so far away from the tree will weaken it. Either the Element destroys itself and destabilizes the world for the tree to create a new one or…” She trailed off thinking of what destruction it would bring. Something of this scale would make even Discord a speck of chaos in a broken world.

“Or the Element would be used to possibly merge the two worlds in an attempt to reconnect with the Tree of Harmony.”

Luna spoke up, “Neither events are beneficial. One would destroy the world, and the other would create an unstable world that will eventually destroy itself in an attempt to fix itself.”

“We plan on sending you Twilight Sparkle to recover the stolen Element. Should you fail, you know of the consequences.”

Twilight understood the gravity of her situation. “I understand.”

Rainbow Dash suddenly spoke up, “If she is going, we are going.”

Pinkie Pie could only shake with nervouscitement.

Twilight smiled at her friends. She knew she can count on them when she needed help.

Celestia saw the display of friendship in front of her. The connection Twilight had with her friends, she longed to have that connection with Sunset once more. And with that, she decided...

Celestia addressed everyone in the room, “That won’t be necessary.”

Before Rainbow Dash could complain, Celestia spoke again. “Because I am coming with her.”


“You can’t be serious sister!” Luna scolded Celestia as if she did something stupid.

“You know Twilight would need help in this unknown world. Besides, you can take care of my duties here to make up for lost time.”

“You know Twilight has proven to us time and time again that she is indeed capable. And besides, why not send her friends with her?” Luna appeared annoyed since Celestia was practically dumping all her work on Luna.

“Because…” Celestia went silent as she wore a mask of sadness.

“I know that look, it is the same look I had when I wanted something so badly it drove me to do stupid things… like what I did as Nightmare Moon.”

“I want to know the truth sister. Sunset Shimmer was everything. It was like losing you all over again…”

“It appears that this situation is more personal than I initially thought.”

“I just- I don’t know what made Sunset change, it isn’t like her to do something irrational like this. I wanted her to come back to me, I miss her. If only she came back on a more positive note.” Celestia lowered her head.

“Before I make a decision, I would like to know everything sister.”

Celestia hesitated but she knew that hiding her pain from her sister would only hurt her. “She is much more to me than just an old student. I loved her as a mother would love her daughter. I cherished every moment I had with her. I was broken when I lost her, more so when she didn’t return even after the mirror reopened a few years later.”

“I understand sister, this is your burden and you want to deal with it alone. But I thank you for telling me.”

Celestia remained silent for the time being. Leaving Luna alone with her thoughts.

“Fine, I will cover for you for the time being. I hope you find what you are looking for. ” Luna stepped forward to embrace her sister.

“Just promise me that you won’t rely on her too much. You know how sensitive they are with emotion. I have lost so much by making that mistake.”

Oh Luna, it wasn’t your fault…

It was me… It was all my fault.

Celestia could only hug her back.


Twilight was packing her equipment for her to take to the other world. It doesn’t hurt to be prepared after all.

“Spike, can you believe it? Not only do I get to explore a new world, but I get to do it with my mentor!”

Spike could only roll his eyes “Twilight, I think you are missing the point. Retrieving your crown back is important and the princess coming with you only means it is even more serious than you think.”

As Twilight remembered the stakes in play, she began to slightly panic.

“Spike! What if I mess up or fail and I would doom the Equestria? Or worse, both worlds!” Twilight exclaimed loudly.

Before Twilight could think of any more insane possibilities of failure, her friends walked into a hyperventilating Twilight.

“Don’t worry sugar cube, we believe in you.” Applejack smiled.

“Yeah! Go get your crown back, and besides you have princess Celestia going with you. Both of you together would make the most awesomest team ever!”

“You could say she is very nervouscited!” Pinkie said with a shout.

“I still don’t think that is a word darling.”

As her friends comforted Twilight she was summoned by Celestia and prepared for departure.

“Girls, you are the best friends I could ever ask for. Thank you.” Twilight gathered her friends for a group hug.

“No problem Twi, not don’t go getting into trouble now”

Twilight headed to the throne room where the mirror was safely secured to watch any activity from either side of the portal.

“Are you ready Twilight?” Celestia felt different, she felt like the aura around her became denser and more serious.

Celestia didn’t wear any of her regalias except for what she can assume is an enchanted artifact. It matched the design of her regalia but its purpose is unknown. Twilight was hoping on asking her what else she had brought but it doesn’t hurt to ask her later.

After a short pause, she replied “I’m ready.”

Celestia and Twilight stepped through and began an adventure of a lifetime.

I won’t fail twice, I will save you my little Sunset.

Author's Note:

Now the story can truly begin.