• Published 29th Dec 2021
  • 1,624 Views, 40 Comments

Wings of Friendship - Xonology



Twilight sets out to retrieve her stolen crown to prevent catastrophe. The world she ventures is more dangerous than she thought.

  • ...
3
 40
 1,624

Part I: Chapter 3

Twilight looked up with amazement at the SkyWing architecture, but at the same time, she felt nervous about what awaited her. She was supposed to find Sunset Shimmer in this world? The world had its own set of problems, and she managed to get roped into one of them. Why can’t this be something simple, like going to school or something?

The prisoners were escorted towards the palace, but at a crossroad, the group was separated, Celestia and Kestrel were taken to the palace dungeons while the others were taken to the arena.

‘Celestia they are separating us! What do we do?!’ Twilight was going to be separated from the only companion she had on this mission.

’ Don’t worry Twilight, we will figure something out. For now, try to get information and try to make a connection with those dragons we saw at the cave.’ Celestia insisted through their link before the connection was cut due to the limited range.

Twilight tried to stay calm and follow through with their plan. As soon as they arrived at the arena, they were separated to be placed on the individual pillars that are around the arena. The two guards escorted her up the pillar, then she was bound by what seemed to be metal bindings around her wings and talons.

There were dragons around the arena, they were about to witness a battle. It was a SandWing and the queen’s champion, Peril. Twilight wasn’t sure what to think of the situation. When the fight began, it escalated quickly. The dragon rushed toward her then burst into flames. A death as gruesome as that… how did Peril set that dragon on fire.. without actual fire?! Twilight heard Scarlet comment on the fight, “Well that was boring”. Are you kidding me?! That is all you can say about a dragon with some sort of death wish?!

“Dismissed.” The SkyWing queen declared.

All the dragons left as fast as they arrived, and soon the arena would grow quiet.

After an hour of silence, she looked around at the other dragons that were imprisoned in the arena. To her left Starflight was there, and multiple bright-colored dragons and some pale yellow ones. Starflight told me that all NightWings had mind-reading powers, including prophecy-telling powers. But from what he said, he didn’t have any, to begin with. The reason is unknown but his theory is that it had to be developed.

She looked to her right and saw someone familiar, the blue dragon they were following around that day. From what she heard from Starflight, her name was Tsunami. Maybe I could start there.

“Hey, you’re Tsunami, right? Starflight told me about you.” She tried to sound approachable but she sounded like she tried too hard. Maybe coming to this world made her ‘Friendship Powers’ grow weak.

“Uh, yeah. Weren't you the one sneaking around the cave when Scarlet attacked us?” She sounded a bit paranoid.

“Yup, that's me. We were only observing the situation and only act depending on what happens, but we managed to get involved anyways.”

“Well, I guess we are pretty much in the same boat now.”

The two fell silent for a moment when Twilight saw an orange dragon approach the brown dragon to Tsunami’s right. To her knowledge, his name was Clay, the other dragon they had been following.

Twilight was conflicted with using her mind-reading power to find information and respecting the privacy of the mind. But then again, this was for the sake of Equestria. Before she stooped to using her power to put information out of the other dragons, it wouldn’t hurt asking them first. After all, communication is a vital part of friendship.

“Hey Tsunami, do you know what exactly is happening…? Preferably all the events that happened in the past few decades?” Twilight coughed up a smile, hoping it wouldn’t inconvenience her too much.

Tsunami rolled her eyes, “Have you NightWings been living under a rock?”

“Um, maybe?”

Tsunami let out a brief sigh, “Ugh, fine. Well, first off there's this war and it was caused by…”

After a few hours of a rough explanation, Twilight practically got the general gist of things. Tsunami didn’t really like history so her explanation was a bit confusing. But all they know is that there is a war going on for the SandWing throne, and by the looks of it, the war is still going for the past few decades. And it didn’t have any sign of slowing down at all. And that is where Tsunami and her friends come in. They were destined to stop the war together. They reminded Twilight of her friends, they care about each other and would go through many trials and challenges to prove themselves and eventually accomplish their goal.

“And that's the story of my life.” Tsunami ended the story rather bluntly. But it provided Twilight with sufficient information as of now.

“Thanks for telling me, I can’t believe you lived underground for practically your whole life and as soon as you got out, worse things started to happen.”

“Well, we don’t have time to complain. We still have to figure out how to get out of here. After all, it is our destiny and all that junk.” Tsunami didn’t believe in all that prophecy nonsense, all she wanted was to know her family.

“Don’t worry, maybe we can escape together. Like you, we got some business to do as well.” She said with a smile.

“Well, let's see how reliable you are then.” Tsunami turned to sleep before dazing off into slumber.

As Tsunami fell asleep, Twilight looked over her and saw a bright orange dragon talking to Clay. She didn’t know what they were talking about, but it looks like Clay is trying to convince her into doing something. Whatever Clay is planning, Twilight was hoping it would be something helpful. Because as of now, Twilight didn’t see a way out of this situation.

Twilight decided to sleep off her frustration and fell into a dreamless sleep.


A group of guards flew toward Twilight’s pillar.

“What’s going on?” Twilight said, confused.

“An audience with the queen.” The guard hissed as he continued to clip the bindings that kept her on the pillar. Although the bindings on her wings were still intact. She looked around and saw Tsunami and Starflight missing from their pillars, guessing she will accompany them.

They flew her to the palace and as they walked through the halls, she could hear metal banging and muffled screaming. She could only imagine what was happening. Could it be Celestia and that other dragon? She didn’t want to think about it too much. As they approached the throne room, nearby she could hear Tsunami struggling as a team of guards attempted to move her.

Twilight was brought in and saw Clay and Starflight bowing down. She assumed it was to show respect to the queen. As she landed beside them, she quickly got into position.

After a while, Tsunami and the guards escorting her came in with a loud bang. She had all kinds of restraints on her.

“Well, I assume you enjoyed your stay?” The queen mused.

Tsunami soon shouted back, “How could you do this to us?! We are the-“

“Dragonets of Destiny, yes you already mentioned that,” Scarlet said slightly annoyed.

“Then why?” Clay pressed.

“Perhaps you haven’t heard, some dragons don’t want this war to end. I find the war quite entertaining.”

Why wouldn’t you want this war to end? War is terrible, it just doesn’t end well on either side. Twilight spoke up, “War is terrible, can’t there be any other way besides more violence?”

Scarlet stared at Twilight for a moment before she answered, “It is easy to say war is terrible, but have you seen what this war is like? It is hard to resolve these problems without one. Besides, fighting is natural for dragons. You two attacked me because you barely knew me.” Pointing at Clay and Tsunami.

“So, Blister, Burn, Blaze. Who do you pick?” She looked back at the three dragonets. “I would love to know.”

“Um, excuse me, Your Majesty.” Starflight tried to shut him up. “Ow, stop. I have a question. Where’s Sunny?”

Sunny? Was she that small yellow dragon?

“Ah yes, the weird-looking SandWing. She would make a good present for Burn. She collects oddities, so I thought she would fit right in with her collection. You should see her palace. It’s quite horrifying.”

“You can’t give Sunny to Burn! We have to stay together.” Tsunami shouted.

“It is my Kingdom, I do whatever I want.” Scarlet countered.

Twilight was curious about the dragon that was hanging around the sculpture. “What about her? What's wrong with her?” She said pointing at the ‘art’.

“Oh, nothing is wrong with her. If ask me, she is quite lovely. She makes the perfect accessory for my throne room.”

“Then why is Glory all… sleepy?” Clay asked.

“Don’t you know? RainWings are naturally lazy. Then again, MudWings are naturally dumb.”

Before anyone could speak, she spoke again. “Now listen. In two days I will celebrate my hatching day and I want all of you to be thrilling! But I promised my subjects today would be thrilling as well.”

Twilight was starting to get annoyed at the word ‘thrilling’.

“I plan on placing one of you today, be sure to win. I don’t want my subjects to have a boring experience. So is the NightWing up to it?” She pointed at Starflight.

“I want to save you for my hatching day.” She pointed at Twilight.

“Who would make the most thrilling fight?” And before Twilight could speak up, Clay and Tsunami spoke in sync. “Me!”

Scarlet smirked, “Tsk tsk, that's adorable. But seriously.”

Clay spoke up again, “Put me in! I’m a great fighter!”

“No your not, you always lose to me!” Tsunami shouted.

Soon after, guards brought in Celestia.

“Ah, looks like my next appointment is here. If you could speed up your complaining, it would make me happy.” Twilight wanted to make this easier for them, and end this argument done.

“Why not just send in Clay? He is a MudWing and I’m pretty sure you never had one in your arena before.”

Clay and Tsunami looked at her. Clay looked like he wanted to say thank you. And Tsunami was annoyed.

“Hmm.” Scarlet thought for a bit. “That's a great idea! Why can’t all of you be as smart as her? Prepare him for the arena. And you.” She pointed at Celestia.

“You can take the place of the one who dies next. But before you go, we need to have a small talk.” Scarlet waved at the guards to escort the dragonets out. “Dismissed.” Celestia was left alone with Scarlet. And Twilight left to return to the arena.

She was escorted back to the arena, Clay was prepared to fight in the arena. She doesn’t know if she did the right thing. But Clay looked as if he knew what he was doing. I should trust him.

She scanned the bottom of the arena and found Clay on one side with a white-ish dragon on the other. Suddenly there was another voice announcing the fight that was about to happen. Clay was paired up against a dragon named Fjord.

Twilight spotted Scarlet on top of her balcony with some sort of sculpture she calls ‘art’. One of Starflight’s friends appears to be chained to it. “Can you make this fight more thrilling, please? I don’t want any boring fights in my arena.”

Clay was hesitant about attacking another dragon, he isn’t cut out for something like this. He might be too soft. But if he doesn’t do something soon, he might not get to see tomorrow.

Soon after Scarlet acknowledged the pair’s uneventful fight, they began to pick up the pace. Clay was receiving multiple blows but was able to dodge most of them. Clay managed to weave around him and pin him down, though it was short-lived. Fjord was going to use his fire I suppose. But she assumed wrong, soon after she saw Starflight trying to convey a message to Clay. Something about breath, but something was off. Twilight quickly looked back down, and there was some sort of white cold breath. She could safely assume they were the IceWings Tsunami talked about in her story.

So far, Clay looks like he was going to lose. Soon every dragon was focused on the fight, Tsunami looked concerned and she wanted to do something. Not long after Tsunami attempted to jump towards Clay. Twilight was attached to the rest of the prisoners, so it dragged her down as well. Twilight could get a closer look around her. Twilight was still aware of everything around her, she knew someone would take advantage of this ‘distraction’. She spotted the dragon that Scarlet considered her art. She had fangs like a python, it shot out a black liquid towards Fjord. No one else saw it as they were focused primarily on Tsunami.

Then it hit him. The liquid landed on Fjord, all you could hear was the echoing shriek of pain coming from the dying dragon. Twilight was horrified, she can’t help but look away. After a few more seconds of pained screaming, there was silence.

“Incredible, is this what the legendary Dragonets of Destiny are capable of?!” The announcer exclaimed.

No one else seemed to notice that it hadn’t come from Clay. It was that dragon on the balcony. They mentioned her name earlier, Glory. She might be the deadliest of the group, I wonder if she has any other hidden abilities.

When Twilight convinced Scarlet to place Clay in the arena, she didn’t expect things to go like this.

Later

I think that tops the being scorched to death on the horrifying scale. That liquid melted through living tissue like it was paper.

Twilight looked over at Clay’s pillar. That burny dragon was talking to him again. Clay looked depressed, he was directly on Fjord when he… perished.”

She tried to look away, find someone to talk to. Tsunami was still ignoring her. Probably because she ruined her chance at fighting in the arena.

Starflight was two dragons away to her left. Maybe I can use my power to broadcast my thoughts to him.

’ Hello? Starflight, can you hear me?’

She could see Starflight look around, he was still confused.

‘Who is this? How are you doing that?’

‘It’s me Twilight. I just used my powers to broadcast my thoughts to you.

Normally, NightWings couldn’t do this without equestrian magic. But Twilight doesn’t know that.

’ Wow, I didn’t know NightWings could do that. I thought it was purely Mind Reading. Wait, can you contact anyone? Not just NightWings?’ he asked curiously.

’ I guess. But I only ever did it with one other dragon.’

Celestia was going to be moved to the arena tomorrow morning. She looked at the IceWing’s empty pillar. Did he deserve to die like that? All the dragons here are prisoners of war. They were just trying to protect their home or fight for what they believed in.

What did Celestia and Scarlet discuss? I hope she is okay.

‘Uh Twilight, are you okay?’ Twilight completely forgot about their connection.

‘Oh, were you listening to what I was thinking. I don’t think I was broadcasting anything else.’

’ I don’t think so. I was just worried, you just went quiet for a while.’

‘Don’t worry about it, I was just thinking about my friend.’

‘Oh, want to talk about it?’

Twilight was contemplating whether she should just come clean and tell them their mission. Maybe they might even help each other. But then again, they had their mission to focus on.

’ I will tell you when we get out of here. And hopefully, that's soon.’

‘I hope so too, well good night.’

’ Can I talk to you again tomorrow?’

Starflight inwardly smiled. ‘Of course, it is pretty boring talking to no one.’

They both shared a short laugh and drifted to sleep.


The Next Day.

Twilight woke up rather slower than normal. She was mentally drained from witnessing such horrors. How did Sunset survive so long in this world? Did she go through as much trouble as we had? She hoped today was quiet, she looked around and found the crazy fire dragon talking with Clay again. She seemed to be arguing about something. Eventually, they stopped, it was like they were waiting for something. What is going on? Is there something I'm missing?

A few minutes later, dragons filled the arena. But something was off, there weren’t any fights or any sort of battle. The gates of the arena opened then out came a red dragon with multiple restraints, her snout had a muzzle. Soon after she saw Celestia being escorted up the pillar where Fjord used to be. Just to the left of Starflight.

Celestia and Twilight’s link reconnected. ‘Celestia, You’re here! What’s going on down there?’

’ Nothing to worry about Twilight, it is Kestrel’s trial. She is one of the Dragonets of Destiny’s caretakers.’ Celestia said.

’I’m glad you’re fine, I was so worried something bad happened.’

’ Twilight, I can handle myself. You should worry about Kestrel. From what she told me, Scarlet isn’t fair in giving out judgment at all.’

’ At this point, this doesn’t even surprise me.’

Twilight could make a sort of ‘hive mind’ by connecting multiple links through herself. Although creating one would be tiring and the process would need each member to have an emotional connection with the one creating the links. Emotion is powerful and is used to strengthen the link between minds.

Sadly Twilight didn’t have the strength to do so. Broadcasting her thoughts would have to work for now.

Twilight was snapped out of her thoughts as the trial began. She looked around and saw Clay covering Peril around his wings. What confused her, even more, is why this trial in particular interested her. It was a little suspicious.

“This dragon, Kestrel, once of the SkyWings, stands accused of the highest treason— disobeying me. Vermilion speaks for the prosecution.”

Author's Note:

Basically what i’m doing for the next chapter is just Celestia’s POV when they got separated. So it will just be this chapter but in Celestia’s POV then I will continue the story through Twilight’s POV from where this chapter left off.

(Sorry if this is confusing, I plan on ‘crashing’ and not steering away from the original story.)

The real timeline differences can be seen after the trial. (I promise.)