• Published 29th Dec 2021
  • 1,616 Views, 40 Comments

Wings of Friendship - Xonology



Twilight sets out to retrieve her stolen crown to prevent catastrophe. The world she ventures is more dangerous than she thought.

  • ...
3
 40
 1,616

Prologue

Somewhere in Canterlot

Celestia’s mornings are the way they are as always, wake up early to raise the sun, continue royal duties, sleep then repeat. The only difference is that her sister isn’t there with her. I’m sure she would appreciate the change of pace. And as if the world answered her, something appeared later that day, little did she know that it would change her life.

She found a small basket near the palace gardens, unsure of how it has gotten there in the first place. She was sure the garden was off-limits, where Celestia would lower the sun and spend her time thinking before going back inside to retire for the night.

She sighed and walked towards the basket, only to find a unicorn filly with a light amber coat, red and brilliant yellow mane, and tail. She was confused as to who might leave a young filly in a basket on Celestia’s garden of all places. As Celestia began lowering the sun, the filly woke up in the presence of the sun princess. Celestia looked at the filly still mesmerized by the beautiful sight of moving celestial bodies, her eyes shimmered in the light of the setting sun.

Celestia brought joy to the little filly, and Celestia knew she would too. She forgot what it was like to feel happy ever since Luna left her side. Celestia turned towards the door, lightly carried the basket with her, and walked inside. Celestia looked at the filly, she smiled. And for the first time in centuries, Celestia smiled a real smile. Her drowsiness was getting to her and she muttered, “Sweet dreams my little Sunset.”


1 Year before Sunset Shimmer’s disappearance

After all these years, her little sunset grew up to be a smart and beautiful mare. She excelled in her studies and even more so in magic. Celestia was proud of Sunset, she had accomplished so much as a young filly. Even though she never said it to her directly, Celestia loved her with all her heart as if she were her biological mother, and she knew Sunset loved her back. Celestia loved all the time she spent with Sunset. With Sunset’s growing talent in the realm of magic, Celestia hoped that she would be able to help her with the fate of her dear sister.

She had the potential to wield the elements and use their power. Hope-filled Celestia, the thought of reuniting with her sister made her happy. As if her happiness with Sunset wasn’t enough as it is. She still wanted to see her sister again.

She walked to Sunset’s room to find her reading a book on A pie’s guide to physics. Sunset noticed the Princess approach her, “Good day, Princess.” she said with a shallow bow.

“I thought we agreed that there be no formalities between private conversation” Celestia replied with a hint of a smirk.

“Well, call it insurance for not knocking.” Sunset shrugged. Celestia gave out a short chuckle.

“So what brought you to my room today Celestia?” Sunset said with a smile.

“Do I need an excuse to visit my faithful student?”

Sunset raised an eyebrow at her answer. “That doesn’t answer my question.”

Celestia let out a sigh, “Truth be told, I just really wanted to check on you.”

“I never really got to spend much time with you outside of my royal duties and your lessons.”

Sunset had a hit of sadness to her tone “Well, I know you have more important things to do than...” She paused in thought.

“Nevermind, so you were saying?”

Celestia noticed something was wrong with Sunset’s current mood but decided to shrug it off, “Well I thought I could invite you to the next Gala and be my plus one.”

“What do you say?”

Sunset lightened up to the thought of getting to spend quality time with her only parental figure outside of work. “Yes! Yes please!”

“I'll get the maids to fetch you a dress, I guess I will see you next we-“

Sunset ran up to Celestia and squeezed her tightly. “Thank you.”

“Of course I would do anything for you my little sunset, I love you.”

Sunset thought she would never hear those words from her. Her sincere expression said it all. With a small tear in her eye, she replied “I love you too.”


1 Year Later

“Sunset, don’t you think it is a bit dangerous to be experimenting with the mirror?” The stallion said with worry.

“Well, duh,” she said with an eye roll.

“Experimenting on dimensional magic would be dangerous but exciting!” Sunset said with glee.

“But don’t you think this is a bit much?”

“I wanted to surprise the Princess, and this is the perfect way to show her that I am the greatest!” Enthusiasm engulfed the young mare.

“I know you are a prodigy Sunny, but we don’t even know anything about dimensional magic. Or to wherever that thing even leads to for that matter.”

“Well the only thing that prevents discovery, is the fear of the unknown! And if that can’t stop me, nothing will!”

“First of all, we have to test how this thing reacts to objects, only then we can test going through it.”

With a perplexed expression “Don’t tell me you plan on going through that thing?”

“Come on Rift, of course, I have to.”

“Maybe when everything goes according to plan you can come with me to the Dimensional Rift

“Haha, very funny Sunny,” He said sarcastically.

“Funny or not I am still going through with the plan. For the future!” She looked off into the distance with a triumphant pose.

“Wait, what if something bad happens? You didn’t even tell the Princess you were doing this.”

“Don’t worry about it, the mirror is very stable as it is. Let's take the mirror to my room so we can begin on testing!”

The pair approached Sunset’s room and proceeded to lock the door. Her room was filled with books and magic scrolls. Most importantly her memorabilia with Celestia. She cherished all the memories she had with Celestia.

As soon as they set the mirror down next to her table, they began discussing the potential effects of the portal on physical matter. They started testing interactions with objects. In the order of a wooden stick, a glass ball, a steel pole, and a banana. Of course, the items are tethered to some rope for recovery. And none of the items appeared to have any observable side effects.

After a while, Sunset was confident with her results enough to start testing them with live subjects. That being herself and potentially her friend, Rift. She didn’t convince him on ‘purposely endangering one's self through the means of unknown magic’. No pressure at all.

“Okay I think everything is in place,” she said in a cheerful yet confident tone.

“Before you go through with this, are you sure you want to do this?” Rift asked with a stern voice.

“I know what I am getting myself into, I know all the risks. Don’t worry so much about it, just pull on the rope if I don’t come back after 10 seconds upon entering.” She calmly stated.

“I just want to make sure you aren’t just rushing yourself into Celestia knows what.”

“I know you care, but I got this.”

After a short break, she was finally ready to go through the mirror. To see the unknown. She grabbed her saddlebag where she kept a few scrolls and feathers for recording anything, including a knife and a backup magic crystal capable of being used as a shield or a magic blast. She knew the magic crystal wouldn’t last in the long term but against any short-term dangers, it would do wonders. She walked to the mirror.

“Good luck.”

Sunset only nodded in reply.
As a heavy breath escaped her, she went through.


Everything was spinning. There isn’t anything more disorienting than a dimensional portal that leads to a seemingly dangerous world.

As the world stopped spinning, she took a moment to look at her surroundings. To her surprise, it was dark. The only light that illuminated the area was the portal itself. The portal is composed of a small rock formation with a pattern of runes engraved around it. She decided it was probably in a cave. She did not expect the portal to be located in a cave. She was so excited about exploring a new world, she completely ignored safety regulations. The portal didn’t seem unstable, so she decided to find a way out of the cave system.

Due to the surprisingly swirly entry and the excitement of exploring unknown lands, Sunset failed to notice the biological changes. As she walked away from the portal, she failed to notice the fading light.


Back in Canterlot

WHAT DO YOU MEAN SHE IS GONE?!” A heavy shake engulfed the area.

“I-I don’t know your highness! The mirror sucked in the rope along with Sunset, then poof, gone and the mirror isn’t responding either”

“Do you know how dangerous unknown magic like this is?”

“Yes your highness, Sunset and I were aware of the consequences but Sunset insisted.”

As the faint light of the mirror faded, it became unresponsive to any interaction.

“No no no no no.”

“Wha- what happened?!” Rift exclaimed, rather confused.

“Who knows how long the mirror will stay closed?! And we won’t even know time differences between the realms either” Celestia shouted back.

“You don’t mean Sunset is trapped in a possibly dangerous world all by herself?!” Eyes wide to the revelation.

Celestia can’t help but break down, she had lost her daughter. She never had the will to call her that. But now that she is gone, she regretted it.

“I lost my little sunset, and she might not even…” Celestia cried out, devastated at the fact.

“I am… I’m sorry.” Rift spoke, unsure of what to say.

“Just leave me…”

As Rift walked out of the room, Celestia cried for her lost daughter. I lost Luna, I can’t believe I lost you too…Sunset.


Outside of the cave

Sunset couldn’t believe the new world she was in. The beautiful scenery distracted her for a while until she started to look towards herself.

She was no longer a pony, rather a dragon. “Woah, I guess there were side effects upon entry.”

Intrigued with her new form, she studied the rest of her body. She appeared to be a light yellow dragon with curved horns and sail or ridge going from the top of her snout to about three-fourths down their tails, which have a scorpion-like stinger at the end.

Satisfied with her findings, she turned to go back to the portal. She walked to face the entrance of the cave. She looked for the glow of the portal, and it seems to have disappeared. She panicked for a good five minutes before calming down.

Maybe something went wrong with the mirror, I don’t think the portal will open after a while. And based on the information they gathered, the mirror was suspiciously stable for a while. And by the looks of things, it was only sustainable for a day until it seemingly closes. Considering how long the portal stayed open, it's safe to assume I will be stuck here for a good five years. Although… time might work differently here compared to equestria.

She sighed in defeat and thought theres no use to staying here and mope about it. As she walked back outside, she hoped to find some sort of fruit nearby. Suddenly, a dragon tackled her, pinning her down.

“Wha- who are you.” Worried she had gotten into trouble.

The dark red dragon spoke up, “I could say the same to you, what are you doing in Skywing territory?”

“Skywing?” Unsure of what to say, turning her head sideways.

“Huh, maybe you are insane.” He shrugged as he got off of her.

“Do you know where you are?”

“A mountain?” She with a confused face.

“I thought that was obvious, you are in the Jade mountain. It is part of Skywing territory and you are trespassing.” He said with confidence.

Sunset needed to think of a cover story, she didn’t know what type of dragon she is and what she is called. And it appears that this guy might be a ‘Skywing’ or whatever. I need him to tell me more information.

With a plan in mind, she said “Oh I’m sorry, I think I have amnesia, I don’t know where I am or what I am for that matter. Well, aside from my name of course.” She said with a matter-of-fact voice.

A smirk formed around his snout, “Oh I see. Then let me enlighten you milady. You are a Sandwing, your territory is west from here in the desert. But it appears you haven’t told me your name yet.”

Sandwings huh? Sunset contemplated on the new information before saying a reply. “Why don’t you tell me yours first? It's only fair.”

“Fine, my name is Wildfire. What is yours?”

“I am Sunset, pleased to meet you Wildfire.” They both stared at each other for a while until Sunset spoke quickly saying “I guess I’ll see you then.”

Wildfire stopped her from moving any further. “Sorry Sunset, but I have to bring you to the palace for questioning. Just standard protocal.”

She didn’t want to get sidetracked. She had to find someplace to stay and wait for the portal to open. Sunset spotted a few stones and quickly formed a plan. After a few minutes of walking down the mountain, Sunset silently threw a rock at the nearby bushes. “What was that?” She hushed, hoping that it would distract him long enough. As Wildfire went to check out the sound, Sunset ran as fast as she can towards the desert, she was hoping that with her camouflage and superior tolerance to the heat, that she will be able to lose her captor.

She soon landed near the edge of the desert. As she ran west to flee away from capture, she thought to try to hide by the dunes.

After waiting a couple of hours, to confirm she wasn’t getting followed. She got back up and started walking further west hoping to stumble upon civilization. To her surprise, there was a palace of some sort over the north of her location. It is either she finds help, or will it be a similar encounter like with Wildfire.

She decided on taking her chances with the place she assumed her type of dragon supposedly lives. She walked towards the palace only to be stopped by a group of dragons ranging from pale to dark colors of yellow. She stopped in her tracks and thought that it would be better if she didn’t antagonize them.

The dragon at the front approached her, “What is your business with Queen Oasis?”

Come on Sunset, think of something! Uh, uh. “I would like to find some work in the palace.” She started nervously.

“Hmm, we could try to arrange something along that line. Come with us.”

As they walked towards the palace, she thought about what happened to her magic. I can still feel the equestrian magic within me. Maybe they have some sort of magic in this world. Unsure of what to think, she asked one of her escorts “Do you guys have magic here?”

The atmosphere suddenly tensed, until one of the guards replied, “Why, do you have magic?”

She was regretting asking the question, but avoiding it would only make the situation worse. So she took a deep breath and said “Yes, but I don’t know how it works and I thought the queen could help with that.”

The guards all seemed surprised at her confession. They all decided that the queen can deal with her. As they approached the palace Sunset only looked around at the amazing architecture. Inside the throne room, they were met by four dragons. By the size of the dragon in the center, she assumed that she was the queen. Also, the fact that she was the one on the throne.

One of the guards spoke, “Your Majesty, we found a possible animus dragon outside the palace.”

The queen narrowed her eyes and replied, “Animus you say?”

“She claims to have magic and seeks your guidance.”

“I see. You, animus come forward.”

Was she talking to me? Assuming since no one else stepped up.

“How can you prove you have magic?”

“I don’t know.” She answered honestly.

“Well try commanding an object with an action.” The queen said.

What did she mean by that? She looked around to find a small rock nearby. As if she were struggling to find the right words, she said “I command this rock to move towards me.”

She didn’t expect anything to happen, but the world proved her wrong. The rock moved towards her in a constant motion. The room gave out a short gasp in surprise.

Sunset also appeared surprised. That is not how magic works. What kind of magic am I working with here? “I did it…” she said weakly.

“Tell me your name young dragonet.” The queen said calmly.

“Sunset Shimmer.”


20 Years Later

Celestia waited for so long, hoping that Sunset would return someday. The mirror only happened to open thrice, she was tempted to step into the portal and find Sunset herself, but she had responsibilities. To Twilight and Equestria.

Equestria was her burden to carry.

Even after Luna returned, I had to guide Equestria’s newest princess, Twilight Sparkle. Thinking too much about Sunset made her depressed, but after reuniting with Luna most of her sadness has passed. After reflecting on her past for what seemed to be forever, Celestia looked out the balcony hoping the scars of her past would fade away.

A train from ponyville arrived at The Crystal Empire. And on that train carried six friends and a baby dragon, Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and of course Spike.

Unfortunately for Twilight, something awaited the newly crowned princess.

Author's Note:

I know I put 20 years after Sunset’s arrival. The first book of WoF was set 19 years for war.

I just want to note that Queen Oasis won’t die until 1 year in. Then war will happen for the 19 years remaining.

Anyways I don’t really have anything planned for what happens past this.
But I will try doing 5 parts (1 part per book) and 5 chapters each.

The next chapter would just be the part before she enters the mirror.

Before we get into that, maybe I can do another fic where we go through Sunset’s POV through her years in the WoF world. But if I would do one, no promises that it would be published.