• Published 11th Sep 2012
  • 905 Views, 4 Comments

The Becoming - Lemmers



I came from the human world to the pony world somehow. It's nice, but I really just want to go home

  • ...
1
 4
 905

Making Friends is Hard to Do...

“Are you absolutely certain this is safe?”

I had spent the last two days in a desperate struggle for sanity, pulled every which way by the nightmare – no pun intended this time – that was Princess Luna of Equestria. After spending an entire day doing exactly what Luna's older sister, Princess Celestia, had told me to do – keeping a low profile – I was woken up in the dead of the night by a knock on my door. Somehow I knew who was responsible even before I had opened it, and I reluctantly came face to face with the Pegasus unicorn princess that was in charge of bringing the moon to pony world.

I spent the entire night as the subject of her experiments, which ranged from testing my stamina and reflexes, to having me hooked up to a strange seismograph-like machine and having me try to levitate or otherwise magically influence various objects. I was exhausted, and the constant attempts to tap into my pony magic only served to aggravate the problem. The lightheadedness was bad enough, but I also had to contend with the princess’s stunningly demanding personality. Every little thing she did seemed to rub me the wrong way, and I suffered in silence for a reason that continued to elude me.

Maybe it was because I felt she had my best interests at heart, though I had no idea where that thought had originated. When I finally returned to my room the sun had already risen, and I didn’t care. I slept through the entire day, which was perhaps the most frustrating thing of all. The only food I had been able to get a hold of was a bag of oats, which I had eaten sparingly over the course of my first day in Canterlot. They were bland, obviously, but at least it quieted the pain in my stomach. Now, thanks to Luna, I had completely missed out on meeting the caterers for Shining Armor and Cadenza’s wedding. While I wasn't sure what ponies ate during weddings, I was certain they must have been more flavorful that oats.

This evening, Princess Luna was courteous enough to let me gulp down the last of yesterday’s lunch before I followed her up to her tower. I never actually got to see the princess’s room, as we went almost immediately to her laboratory, as I liked to call it. Of course there was no explanation for why she had a laboratory, suffice it to say that she was a centuries old princess who got bored on occasion. Yeah, she was apparently centuries old too, which made her strange childish habits and fits all the more confusing. It must have been a side effect of cooping herself up like this, not that there was anything particularly interesting to do around Canterlot for a night owl like the princess.

Truthfully, I think Princess Luna actually enjoyed having my company these past few days, and I had to admit that I liked having someone to talk to. Even if I did think that she was far overdo for a lesson on playing nice with others...

“Are you insulting our magicometer?” Luna scoffed, “of course it is safe!”

“I’m just not sure what this has to do with getting me back to my own world,” I replied, wiggling my hooves, which were strapped onto a podium adjacent to a massive, purple, egg shaped device.

“Sister intends to send you home in a few short days anyways,” she said dismissively, “we have altered our assignment to include studying your strange magical readings.”

I sighed, “And what have you figured out… exactly?” I asked.

Luna trotted around me, inspecting several wires and widgets connected to the machine before settling in front a familiar seismograph-like readout. She lifted some of the pages with her hoof, glaring at them with a scientific intensity. Luna placed her other hoof to her chin and balanced on her hind legs, a pose I had gotten familiar with seeing from her.

“Nothing of great significance,” she said, “We’ve determined that your magic is even weaker than that of a typical Earth pony’s, and it certainly isn’t anywhere near powerful enough to produce a Royal Canterlot Voice.”

“Anything else?”

“Well,” Luna began, “your strength, coordination, and charisma are all below average.”

I wasn’t sure when the princess had gotten comfortable enough around me to start throwing casual insults, and I would give anything for her to go back to her usual royal self.

“Thanks,” I said halfheartedly.

Luna approached me and studied my face… again, “You human ponies certainly are an enigma, we cannot seem to fathom how you accomplish all that you do.”

I also wasn’t sure when I had become comfortable enough around Luna to actually start arguing back, “It’s a kind of magic,” I said playfully.

She frowned, “I hardly see how that is the case.”

It was a shame that she didn’t understand half of what I said, and that the other half she tended to misinterpret. Being a loner was one thing, but Luna was even more socially confused than I was, and that was saying something.

“Look… just tell me what tonight’s experiment is going to be so we can get on with it.”

Luna returned to her readouts, “There’s no need to be in such a rush,” she said, “tonight we simply wished to question you about your home world.”

“I don’t think that’s such a great idea…” I said, receiving only a pitying look from the princess.

“Nonsense. Sister says that discussing such matters is good for the heart.”

How could I possibly argue with that? “Fine…” I relented, “shoot…”

The princess looked at me now with confusion, trying to grasp the meaning of my slang, and I wondered if and when she was ever going to get used to my wild antics.

“First question, your name, it was not always Pathfinder… are we correct?”

She was indeed correct. Pathfinder was the name that Princess Celestia had give me when she rescued me from the Everfree forest. This was shortly after I woke up there in the body of a pony, mind you, and Princess Luna knew that just as well as I did. If I had to guess, this question was just to gauge whether the machine was functioning properly or not.

“Correct.”

“Good,” she replied, “do you remember what your original name was?”

“I forgot,” I replied promptly.

My name was actually the only thing that I had forgotten, and as for why? That was still one of the many mysteries that I wanted answered by the time I left this world. This one was also a test question.

“What about family, what was your family like?” Luna asked me.

"Pass."

"Pathfinder..." she scolded, and I cringed at her sternness.

My eyes darted around the room nervously, and I could feel a twinge of irritation in the back of my mind. Even when I opened my mouth to reply, I was unsure how to approach the situation, “I… never really had a family," I said delicately.

“Oh,” Princess Luna frowned, “we are sorry.”

I appreciated her pity, but I shook my head, “Don’t worry about it,” I assured her, “I had my books.”

Luna’s mood remained negative, “What about friends?” she asked.

“Books.”

“Hobbies?”

“Bo – “

“Aside from books!” the princess fumed.

I sighed, “I’m just telling you the truth.”

“No, you are dodging my questions!”

I felt my temper begin to waver, and I choked back an insult, “I am not dodging your questions!”

The princess stamped her hoof down, “We will decide when you are and are not dodging our questions, Pathfinder.”

I snapped, “My name is not Pathfinder!”

Luna stared at me, shocked, but I didn’t care. I wanted her to be shocked. I wanted her to take me seriously for once, “I’m not a pony ok?! I wasn’t born here, and I wasn’t raised here. Where I'm from – the human world – it isn’t such a nice place.”

Somehow I’d made this personal, “I… We hardly doubt it’s –“

“What exactly did you want to hear from me?” I asked accusingly, “I grew up in a terrible home, with terrible people! Is that it!? Is that what you hooked me up to this machine for!?”

“I – I…”

I couldn’t keep the scowl off my face, “Yeah, well, not all of us can be a princess in a magical kingdom…”

Luna suddenly reared back, her face flushed with anger, “How dare you!” she snapped, “do you actually think my life was so easy? I spent hundreds of years ignored by my own subjects, and a millennium trapped in a space rock by my own flesh and blood! My idol!" she hissed. "I’m not a princess – I’m a – a – a horror story!”

There was a glazed look in the princess’s eyes, and I knew she was trying to hold back some tears. I wanted to sympathize with her, but I was too angry. I hadn’t known how hard she’d had it, that was my own fault, but I wasn’t ever going to be in the mood to compare sob stories with her. We were both flustered, and our eyes were locked in an all too familiar, all too painful glare. It took me a moment to gather my bearings, but I eventually broke the silence with a reluctant sigh.

“Look,” I began, averting my gaze to the floor, “I spent all of my time in a library, and I worked in a book store… I lived in a cheap little hoofhole with nothing but a leaky faucet and a book collection to call my own.”

The princess followed me with those spite-filled eyes, “And you actually want to go back to that?” she asked, as though insulted by the notion.

I turned back to her in a huff, my anger suddenly reignited, “Hey!” I shouted, but I managed to catch myself and ease into a deep breath.

I looked anywhere but at Luna, “Some of us are just better off stuck in the moon…”

There was a long silence where we remained like this, no doubt wrapped in our own thoughts. There were so many times when I would do something that I ended up hating myself for later, and even though I always said I’d do better next time, I never did. I still let my temper get the better of me. Even as a pony… I was still only a human. There was a loud clack, and the bindings on the magicometer podium slid open with a metallic hiss.

“I am sorry for troubling you Pathfinder,” the princess said quietly, completely ignoring her usual pluralizing, “but you should go…”

I opened my mouth to protest, but decided against it. I wanted to get out of here as fast as I could, didn’t I? The princess had given me free reign to do what I wanted. I wasn’t in the wrong here… she was! She was the one who had asked! I had just told her the truth. The hard truth. I turned and left without another noise and made my way back to my bedchamber in the far tower. The night air was warm, and crickets were chirping nosily on the castle lawn. Somehow, I couldn’t help but shoot a cold glare at the moon, staring at it intently from the perch outside my bedroom door. It just hung there in the sky, silently mocking me. The moon didn’t have any problems to worry about it. It was beautiful, mysterious, universally loved but never in the spotlight. Nobody judged the moon.

“Jerk,” I mumbled as a slipped into my room.

When I next awoke it was midday. All of my energy seemed to have been sapped, and I lied in bed for at least an hour before I was finally forced to leave. I walked to the bathroom and stood there in front of the tub, too lethargic to manage anything other than a sigh. It had been days since I last bathed, and I was sure I was starting to stink. I had also grown hungry again, but was so focused on wallowing that I didn’t even have the energy to seek out a meal. Even the bath felt like too much trouble now…

The day went by slowly, and I was so detached that I hardly remembered any of it. At times like these I would usually sink into a book and try to forget my problems, to try to learn a good lesson from some other person’s problems. Now I didn’t even have that. Every time I thought I had come to terms with mine and Luna’s argument it seemed to find its way right back to the forefront of my mind, and I was forced to relive it all over again. At first I was angry with Luna, and then I was angry at myself, and then Luna again. What bothered me – what confused me most? Why did I even care in the first place!?

There was a knock at the door, and I raised my head from the pile of pillows and blankets I was laying in.

“Message for Pathfinder!”

“Go away!” I shouted back with a miserable whine to my voice.

“Message for Pathfinder!”

“Just leave it outside!”

There was a short pause, peace and quiet, and I sank my head back into the pillows with a sigh.

“Message for Pathfinder!”

I bolted up from my bed and skittered across the floor, half trotting and half falling, leaving a trail of discarded bed linens in my wake. I all but kicked the door open with my front legs, though the effect was ruined when the thing only opened a few feet.

I stuck my head out the crack in the door, “What?” I asked, exasperated.

It was a different pony this time around, a tan Pegasus with a green mane and eyes. She didn’t even bother to look at me, and instead pulled a small envelope from a brown bag slung over her back. I snatched it from her mouth with my teeth and stormed – as best I could – back into my room. I slammed the door and waited to make sure the messenger pony wasn’t going to call out to me again before I set the letter down on my table and inspected it more closely.

It was an ornate little envelope printed on some pretty nice stock and embossed with an unfamiliar seal. My name, and by that I meant the fake name Pathfinder, was written on the front with a beautiful and carefully practiced calligraphy. It was a wedding invitation… that much I could tell, I just wondered what the need to send me one was. Maybe as a formality, or so I could actually gain access to the ceremony? Whatever the case, I left the envelope unopened on the table. I had no desire to read any letters right now. Especially not one from Shining Armor or Princess Mi Amore Cadenza.

Blegh…

But now what? It was almost sundown and I hadn’t done anything all day. There was certainly no way I was going to be able to sleep, either, not with everything that weighed on my mind.

A walk maybe?

I’d always heard stories from the little old ladies that came in the book store. Magical stories of a thing called physical exercise, a mysterious old wives tale that was said to serve as cure all treatment for anything that ailed you. Could it have been true? Could there really have been such a thing? Ok... so I didn’t get out much…

I poked my head out the door and looked both ways, making sure that the messenger pony wasn’t anywhere in sight. I didn't think I could handle the embarrassment of meeting somepony I was so rude to before. The thought of meeting Luna was equally impossible to bear, and I hung my head. The sun was low in the sky now, just like when I first arrived. Obviously it would be night soon, and I wondered if it was really wise to be wandering around in the dark.

This was when I noticed a faint glimmer in the sky, as though the sun's light had reflected off of some solid surface up there. I shook my head and blinked my eyes a few times, and then it was gone. Was I just imagining it? Could it have been a trick of the light, or was I starting to go crazy? Then I heard skittering on the roof behind me, and I turned with a startled jump.

“Who… who’s there?” I croaked.

I stared at the roof with great intent before a bird finally skittered down the tile and took off into the air. My mouth hung agape, and I was overcome with a sense of self-loathing and mild amusement. Spending so much time in my room really was getting to me if I thought there were Ponies lurking on rooftops.

“BOO!”

I jumped again and ran headlong into my bedroom door, which rebuffed me coldly and laughed as I fell to the group in a little heap. Wait… that wasn’t the door laughing.

“BWAHAHA!” called a crisp, boyish voice from behind me, “he actually fell for it!”

The laughing continued, and I turned my head to get a look at the perpetrator. Hovering in the air just past the edge of the balcony was a light blue Pegasus with a rainbow patterned mane and a smug look on his face. I gave him a sharp scowl, but it didn’t do anything to ruin his mood.

“Rainbow Dash…” another voice called, this one very mild and feminine, “you’re supposed to be looking for Mr. Cardinal, not spooking the guests.”

I guessed that this must have been scolding of some sort, though it certainly didn’t seem have much of an impact on the rainbow colored pest.

“What was that for you little brat?!” I snapped at Rainbow Dash.

The blue pony twitched with frustration, “What did you call me punk!?” he demanded, flapping over into my personal space.

“A brat!” I spat, “because you are one.”

Rainbow dash hovered an inch closer to me, practically shaking with irritation, “Yeah, well what would a punk like you know about anything!?”

“Brat!” I called again.

His raspberry colored eyes narrowed on me, “PUNK!” he snarled.

“BRAT!”

“PUNK!”

“BRAT!”

“Um… if you would please…”

“PUNK!”

“BRAT!”

“I just... my bird… he…”

“PUNK!”

“BRAT!”

“Stop it!” shouted the third party.

Rainbow Dash and I both stopped when the other pony raised her voice, and I finally got a good look at her. She was another Pegasus, this one with a long pink mane and a yellowish coat. It was almost like a light shade of gold, even more pronounced by the pink of sky and the setting sun on the horizon.

“But he started it!” Rainbow Dash and I both shouted in unison, which only served to irritate me further.

Not quite as much as Rainbow Dash mind you, since the Pegasus was now less than inch away from my face and literally snarling.

“HE!?” he screamed in a fit of rage, “I’m a girl!”

It was at this point that I probably should have just held my tongue, and on any normal day I would have. This, however, wasn’t a normal day.

“Well you certainly don’t act like one!”

The pony screamed at me, pulling on her own mane, and looked just about ready to sock me one before the other pony interrupted.

“Rainbow Dash, I think Mr. Cardinal went that way,” she said, pulling lightly on her companion's tail.

Rainbow Dash turned to look where the yellow pony was pointing, before giving me one more glare from over her shoulder. It meant, ‘We’ll settle this later.’ I would have returned it, but I didn’t have the energy left for another prolonged argument, even if it was on the intellectual level of a couple grade-schoolers. Rainbow Dash spun around and took off like a bolt of lightning, leaving a distinctive rainbow trail in the sky behind her as she did so. I would have like to admit that I was impressed, but that would have involved leveling a compliment at the Pegasus, which I wasn’t going to do.

“Sorry about that…” the yellow pony said shyly, “Rainbow Dash can be a bit temperamental sometimes.”

I furrowed my brow, “So can I... apparently…” I said, turning away from the other pony.

“Um…” she began nervously, “my name is Fluttershy.”

I started to answer her, but for some reason I didn’t want to say it. I didn’t want to tell her my name was ‘Pathfinder.’ I didn’t want to become attached to the persona anymore than I already had, and yet the eager gaze of the yellow pony was almost heart-melting. She was obviously very proud of the way she had introduce herself, and I found my earlier irritation fading away. I tried desperately to hang on to it, but it was little use.

“P – Pathfinder,” I said, almost as nervously as she had, “my name is Pathfinder.”

Fluttershy opened her mouth to speak again, but I cut her off, “You – you should probably go after your friend,” I said sternly, “…and uh, tell her I said sorry about the gender thing.”

The pegasus seemed a little hurt by my sudden reaction, “Oh… ok,” she said, and then added, “it was nice meeting you.”

And with that, she flew off after her friend. She was definitely a lot slower than Rainbow Dash, but then with a name like Rainbow Dash how could you strive to be anything but the fastest? Somehow I was sure that the tomboyish pony wasn’t going to accept my apology, but at least it made me feel a little bit better about the way I acted.

I wanted to go back inside now, but instead I forced myself to meander down the tower stairs and out into one of the many courtyards. It was just as pretty as I'd remembered it, and filled with perfectly cultivated nature. I would have loved to come out here and read if I ever got the chance, though at one point I could have sworn I saw a tropical toucan fly overhead. I ignored it for fear that I really was going crazy. I was under too much stress as it was; or rather, I was putting myself under too much stress. Why couldn’t I just let this go and get on with my life?

“Urh… why!?” I punched – err – kicked a tree with my front hoof.

“Why what?” a head poked out from behind the tree I had hit, an orange head wearing a brown hat, “are you tryin’ to get something outta this here tree?”

The pony stared me eagerly. While I wanted to be startled, I was too focused on processing the thick southern accent that the pony was sporting. Then again, I’d already met princess ponies and chef ponies, I guess there had to be some sort of pony world variant for a lady with a drawl – and here she was.

“Wha – no, I mean –“ I fumbled.

“Here, Sugarcube, let me show you the proper way to get something outta a tree,” she said, circling around to my side and turning her rear to face the arboreal beast of a tree.

She bent forward with ease on her front legs and kicked out the rear ones, striking the tree with a powerful kick that seemed to shake the thing to it’s core. The canopy of branches above our heads shook violently and sent dozens of loose leaves and twigs plunging to the ground. Much to the southern pony's surprise, however, nothing other than tree matter had fallen.

“Shoot... musta been off center...”

Still stunned, I put a hoof on the pony’s shoulder, “That’s – enough,” I told her, “I didn’t lose anything in the tree.”

She turned to look at me, and I saw that her blonde mane and tail were both pulled into… well, ponytails. Was this an in-joke that I just wasn’t getting? She looked at me for a moment before giving me a sympathetic smile.

“Yeah, I figured,” she said, “you city ponies would sooner climb a tree than try to buck it.”

City pony? I wasn’t sure if I should take that as an insult or not.

“I was just tryin’ to see if I couldn’t help with what’s eatin’ ya,” she explained.

“What’s eating me?” I asked, “how could you tell something was eating me?”

She made a terrible impression of my voice, contorting her face into a humorous expression, “Urgh! Why!” she mocked, hitting the tree much as I had, though she actually managed to make it budge.

I thought I might be angry with her for a moment, but to my surprise I suddenly found myself laughing, “You’re not very good at impressions are you?” I asked, trying to repress my chuckles.

The orange pony winked at me, “No worse that you are at buckin’ trees,” she replied, and we both shared a brief laugh.

“Thanks,” I said finally, “I needed that.”

“Say no more – name’s Applejack.”

“Uh,” I hesitated, “Pathfinder.”

Applejack walked around to my front and sat down under the shade of the tree. She leaned back against the bark and crossed her legs, obviously enjoying herself, and even went so far as to pat the ground next to her. This was utterly baffling to me considering it was almost dark now, and yet for some reason I couldn’t quite place I joined Applejack under the tree, sitting down awkwardly next to her.

“Ya know, my Granny Smith always told me that there’s nowhere better to talk about your problems than under a tree.”

I turned to look at her, “Why are you so interested in the first place?” I asked, considering I’d only met the pony moments ago.

Applejack leaned over to me and put a hoof to her mouth, as though she were trying to keep someone from reading her lips.

“Between you and me,” she said in a slight whisper, “I got a friend that would never let me hear the end of it if I didn’t help out a unhappy pony.”

“That makes sense,” I lied.

“Well shoot," said Applejack, "it don’t need to make sense, Sugarcube, I just have to do what feels right an’ not regret it later.”

“That actually makes sense,” I said, chuckling, and Applejack responded in kind.

“So?" she began, "What in all o’ Equestria has you in such a foul mood?”

I briefly considered telling her about my argument with Luna, but decided it would probably be in my best interest if I didn’t mention the heated exchange between myself and the princess. It would be impossible to explain without revealing my secret too, though I couldn’t just tell Applejack nothing. I could already tell that she wasn’t the kind of pony to take ‘no’ for an answer. In the end I told her about my argument with the Pegasus, Rainbow Dash, up to the part where I apologized to Fluttershy. Much to my astonishment, Applejack listened without a single interruption before finally bursting into a fit of laughter.

“Aaahahaha!” she said, trying to stifle her laughter, “you actually told that Rainbow Dash that she was a colt? Who woulda guessed that’d be one of her hot buttons!”

“Wait,” I interrupted, “you know that pony?”

“Know her?” replied Applejack, “she’s one of my best friends!”

I frowned, “Oh… sorry,” I murmured, suddenly feeling much... much worse.

“Don’t be,” said Applejack sternly, “she deserved it. ‘Sides, I can already tell you feel bad enough ‘bout it as is.”

“But I don’t get it – you said she was one of your friends.”

“And?” Applejack asked, “part of bein’ good friends with somepony else is knowin’ all about ‘em, and Rainbow Dash had it comin’ to her if you ask me.”

I didn't answer, and instead stared at the ground as though it were utterly fascinating.

Applejack gave me another reassuring look, “Look, sugarcube, friends get into arguments all the time, s’just part o’ the natural order o’ things,” she said with absolute confidence, “but if you’re really friends – true friends – then you’ll find a way to forgive each other.”

I listened in silence, suddenly feeling as though a heavy weight had been lifted from my – wherever it was that ponies carried their heavy weights.

“I – think I get it,” I said, standing up.

Applejack smiled and nodded, standing up next to me, “Good fer you,” she said, “now if you don’t mind, I’m gonna go find those wayward friends o’ mine, s’why I’m out here in the first place.”

I chuckled, “Thanks, Applejack.”

“No problem Pathfinder, hey, feel free to come find me and let me know how things go with that friend o’ yers when it’s all over, kay?”

I was confused, “Wait, what friend?”

Applejack was already trotting away, “The one you got into an argument with!” she called back.

I watched as she rounded the corner of one of the walkways, her hay-colored tail somehow calling goodbye with a last little wave. I wasn’t sure whether to be thankful or angry at the strangely insightful pony. Was I really that transparent? Or was that just one of the benefits of actually having friends? I didn’t know. I couldn’t know, but I was sure as hoof going to find out.

I took off at a gallop for Luna’s laboratory, racing against the setting sun, knowing that this might be my only chance to talk with the princess before I had to leave. The wedding was tomorrow, which meant I had one… maybe two days left before Princess Celestia sent me back. I couldn’t leave things as they were, I just didn't have the mental fortitude to keep things like that on my conscience.

It was getting darker and darker out, and I felt almost as if I were chasing my own shadow as I rounded the spiral stairs that led up the side of Luna's tower. I reached the top just as the sun dipped beyond the horizon and the first stars began to twinkle in the sky. My breathing was heavy and labored, and I could hardly feel my legs they were so tired. I really was out of shape… even as a pony, but I had made it. The moon hadn’t risen yet.

I rapped hard on the wooden door with my hoof, still panting, “Luna!” I called, “it’s me, it’s Pathfinder!”

There was no reply, and I took a step back, trying to catch my breath. My little pony heart was pounding in my chest still, so much so that I could barely hear anything else. I stood there for a whole minute before I finally heard something from the other side of the door.

“What? What do you want from us?”

It was Luna’s voice.

“I need to – to talk to you,” I said, gasping for air mid-sentence.

There was another pause, “Your concerns are unnecessary, Pathfinder, I have decreed that there will be no more experiments henceforth.”

I wrinkled my brow in frustration, “Just shut up and get out here,” I demanded.

There was no pause this time around, “How – how dare you! We are – we are a princess! We will not tolerate this kind of –“

“I said shut up,” I interrupted, “you’re not my princess, remember? I’m a human, not a pony.”

I guess she didn’t really feel like arguing with that logic, which saved me quite a bit of time in the long run. I was glad, since I only had one last trick up my sleeve, and that was my ace…

“We don’t want to,” she said finally.

Figures… but I was ready for this.

“You still have to raise the moon, Luna,” I said victoriously, “you have to come out sometime!”

Another pause.

“We are perfectly capable of raising the moon from indoors!” Luna retorted, slightly insulted that I had insinuated otherwise.

I… didn’t actually have anything for that. I had just assumed she needed to be outside. I was completely and thoroughly beaten. In logic anyways. All that meant was that I just had to resort to the human way of doing things. Pure, unadulterated, stubbornness.

“I – I’m not leaving this spot until you come out and talk to me!” I concluded, turning around and placing my back to the door.

The princess didn't bother to keep me waiting, “So be it!" she said sternly, "you may stay there all night if you wish!”

“Fine! I will!” I snapped.

I thought for a moment that Luna might actually leave me sitting outside her door all night, and I certainly couldn’t blame her if she did. If it were me… well, I had no idea how I would handle the situation. I would probably be annoyed and confused, and maybe even a little bit flattered to tell the truth. Without the moon it was so dark I could hardly see, and there was no telling how confused the rest of pony world had to be considering one of their celestial bodies was a no-show. I had almost started to give up hope as the third minute of silence rolled around, which showed just how dedicated I was to my cause, I guess. Then I heard a quiet voice from inside.

“We – we can’t actually raise the moon from indoors,” Luna said, sounding embarrassed, “not even sister can accomplish such a feat.”

I rested my head against the door and stared into the darkness, “You could always go out through the window,” I said simply.

I’m not sure what I had said, but it must have been a magic password or something, since I felt the door behind my head slowly give way. I jumped back almost immediately and turned to face the opening, watching as Princess Luna peered out at me from the crack. I had wanted to talk to her face to face, but I guess this would have to do.

“What do you want from us?” she asked, “please make it quick.”

I wanted to hang my head again, but I didn’t, I looked her right in the eyes, “Princess – no, Luna, I’m sorry. I – messed up.”

Her gaze was still cold, but the door opened a bit wider.

“I was so caught up in my own problems,” I continued, really wishing I had rehearsed this or something, “I couldn’t see how upset I’d made you. I mean, I never even said thank you for all of the nice things you did for me, and that’s just – inexcusable.”

The door opened wider.

“I was being a self-centered jerk, and I hurt your feelings, so for that I’m sorry. I didn’t want you to think that I held a grudge against you after I left…”

The door was all the way open now, and Luna looked to be somewhere between angry and embarrassed. No less embarrassed than I was, I was guessing.

“That was very – heartfelt, Pathfinder,” the princess said, “I suppose we – I – owe you an apology as well. I should not have pried into your personal matters.”

“That’s – it’s fine, I was just caught off guard is all," I paused awkwardly, "apology accepted?"

“Apology accepted, Pathfinder.”

“Same here,” I said meekly, extending a hoof, “friends?”

Luna looked at my hoof for a moment before hesitantly extending her own. It touched against mine, and was warm, like her sister’s. It was also quite a bit larger than mine, which made me feel a bit silly in hindsight.

“Friends,” she said, finally allowing herself to smile in front of me.

That night I watched Luna raise the moon for the first time, and it was absolutely stunning. It left me silent with awe, and made my Spark stir with a powerful warmth. I felt as if I could do anything now that I had somepony to call my friend, and somehow I had three complete and utter strangers to thank for it.

Rainbow Dash… Fluttershy… Applejack. I wondered if I’d ever meet them again, or be able to thank them properly for what they had given me.

“Would you like to continue or experiments where we left off last time?” Luna asked cheerily, having returned from raising the moon.

I frowned at first, but finally relented, “Uh – sure…” I said, following her inside, "but do you think I could get something to eat first?"