• Published 28th Sep 2021
  • 1,959 Views, 64 Comments

Christmas Break - vvHunterr

  • ...
3
 64
 1,959

New security system

"Thank you ma'am you have a nice day." The delivery man said as he left. Ada took the quite large box inside her house and set it on the table.


"Okay this better be worth it," she grunted. Inside was a tablet like object with 6 mini cameras that could be attached around the house. On the box was a QR code that when scanned took her to the app that connected her to these cameras. The tablet itself was also able to attach to a wall. She turned it on and a robotic female voice came up.


"Thank you for choosing CDAI. With our advanced technology, you're house has a signifcantly higher chance of staying safe. To begin please state your first and last name."


"Ada Drive" She said.


"Thank you. Please remain still." The machine scanned her face from top to bottom and when it was done, it made a ding sound. "Is there anyone else you would like to add to the accepted list?"


"Yes"


"Please state their first and last names"


"Disk Drive and Micro Chips" Ada told the machine. It seemed to process it until it responded.


"Facial scanning required for them."


"Disk! Micro! I need you for a second!" Ada called out. Micro came first.


"Hey, mom what you-" He was cut off when he saw the new CDAI machine in the living room. "WOAH! I didn't know you actually bought that!"


"It was 7 grand! Now I need you to let it scan your face so it can put you on the accepted list." Ada told her son. Micro complied and the machine scanned his face the same way it did with her. After it was done it was pending for the last person. Her husband.


"Could you call your father in here?


Disk came next. He had the same shocked expression as Micro did. "Honey, what is this?"


"It's the new security system. I need you to let it scan your face so you're on the white list" Ada explained. Her husband looked a bit surprised but nonetheless he let the machine scan his face.


"Scan complete. Enjoy your new security system." The robot voice said


"Let's hope that was worth 7 thousand..." Ada muttered.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Think, Abigail, think!" Abigail whispered quietly to herself. She was in the hotel room sitting on the couch while Theresa and Brandon were trying to come up with ways to prove the restaurant's innocence. "If I was a criminal, how would I sneak a poison into a restaurant?"


"You okay?" Theresa asked.


Abigail managed a small smile. "Yes, I'm fine...It's just difficult trying to figure out how it happened." Her smile quickly faded into a sad expression. "I can't help but feel like it's my fault."


"Now what makes you say that? You weren't even here when it happened!" Theresa said.


"I mean don't you think I should placed a strict person check for anyone entering or exiting the place? I figured since it wasn't something like an airport it wasn't needed, but now I see how wrong I was."


Theresa put a hand on Abigail's shoulder. "I want you to listen to me. This is not your fault. No one would have known something like this would happen. Especially at a high end restaurant." She smiled kindly. "Whatever happened after you left you must not blame yourself, okay?" Her friend smiled back, albeit weakly.


"Okay, I won't."


"Hey Theresa, Abigail. You'll never believe this but check this out." Brandon gave his phone to Theresa as he showed them a news page about the restaurant. It had apparently been updated just a few hours ago. She scrolled down to the new part as he explained what it was. "So you know how the poison was tetrodotoxin right?"


"Mhm"


"Well it was but it wasn't pure."


"What do you mean, it wasn't pure?" Abigail wondered.


"I mean it was not from an actual pufferfish. The police found out that the poison was made in a lab."


"But I thought that type of poison couldn't be made." Theresa gasped.


"This city is known for having a very high rate of illegal substances," Brandon said. "So it probably won't be long until we find out who the culprit is."


"Um if it makes you uncomfortable answering this then you don't have to but how much are we being sued for?" Abigail asked.


"If we lose this case, then we'll get sued for about 2 billion," Theresa said sadly. Abigail felt her heart sank a little.


"Wow...just unbelievable," she muttered.


"Now I know we needed as much help as we can get so I called up one of my friend. He's an expert in this sort of situation and he'll be meeting us tomorrow." Brandon said.


"Who is he?" Abigail asked.


"He used to work as a detective until he retired just last year. When he saw what happened to the restaurant, he called me asking if everything was okay. I told him everything I knew and he said he'll try to help us out."


"You think he'll be able to crack this case?"


"He's was an expert. He solved over 300 cases so I don't have any doubt he can solve this one. I figured if he can help us catch who bought the poison in, then we can save the restaurant."

Author's Note:

Where do I begin?



Well this is kind of awkward. I don't know if anyone is still keeping up with this story and if they aren't, then I don't blame them but to anyone who still is...I cannot thank you enough.
Anyways, to make this short, college and work has been getting on me lately so I haven't had enough time. I know there's probably no one reading this but I figured just in case. I can't guarantee I'll be active full time but I will try to make some time.

Comments ( 4 )

Very nice chapter, Don't worry real life first take your time.

nice work

"It's the new security system. I need you to let it scan your face so you're on the white list" Ada explained. Her husband looked a bit surprised but nonetheless he let the machine scan his face.

Here's hoping the system works better than most commercially available facial recognition systems. These sort of devices are surprisingly easy to trick.

Glad to hear you still breathing and don’t worry. We all have our own lives to lead

Login or register to comment