• Published 10th Sep 2012
  • 770 Views, 6 Comments

Eternal Rest - OkeyDokeyLokey



It turns out, the smallest thins in life are what make it truly great.

  • ...
3
 6
 770

Small things

Just a small thing that popped into my head after reading a small paragraph about something. Hope you all like it. Even though its rather short :P


So it was midday. Hauling ponies around ponyvile as a taxi service everyday. I just wanted to go home and sit down in front of the fire with a nice hot cup of chocolate. I shuddered in joy thinking about it. But that would have to wait. You see for the longest time, I've worked as a taxi to the citizens of ponyvile. Pulling them from A to B as fast and efficiently as possible. I earned enough bits from it as well so I wasn't complaining. I actually liked getting to know the ponies around the village better. But enough about that. It was midday and I was on my way to pick up some pony I had been told would need a taxi. I stopped outside the house and cleared my throat.

“ Taxi!” I called to the house. I waited and nothing came. I called again and nothing. It seamed that it was a prank and I should move on. But that's what any normal pony would do. No I would check before I left. Unhooking the cart from my back, I walked to the green door of the house and called a little more quietly.

“ Taxi.” This time however I was met with a small reply. A frail voice echoing from the other side of the door.

“ Just a minute.” I heard something being dragged and the sound of some small breaths. After a long pause, To which I grew more and more anxious, the door creaked open. Standing there was a small mare in her elderly years. Far into her elderly years it seamed. She looked like somebody out of the old books I used to read. Standing by her side was a large wooden brown suitcase. The house I could see looked like it was never used. White sheets were draped over all the furniture and there were countless shelves that were vacant of whatever filled them. It looked like it was never even lived in. No clocks occupied the walls, neither were there any books or the essentials. There was one thing that caught my eye though. A small container was sitting on one of the far shelves and hanging out were some quills and books. One photo lay inside it as well. I looked back to the old mare in front of me. She was trying to move the suitcase by herself but struggled. She stopped then looked at me.

“ Would you carry my suitcase out to the cart?” She asked.

“ With pleasure.” I said pulling the suitcase onto my back then eventually onto the back of the cart. I looked back to the old mare and she was shakily making her way out her home. I walked up to her and held my hoof out to help. She gratefully took it and I helped her to her seat. She never stopped thanking me.

“ Its nothing.” I said. “ I just treat anypony, especially my passengers the way I would like to be treated.”

“ Thank you. You're such a nice pony.” She said as she took her seat. I pulled the cart back onto my back. Turning, I saw her giving one longingly gaze at the house before turning to me.

“ Where to ma'am?” I asked.

“ Would it be possible if you could take me to Canterlot?” She asked in a small voice. I thought for a moment. Was she mad. Canterlot was at least a nights train journey away. I thought then and there about dropping the cart and going. But I looked at the utter need in her eyes and smiled.

“ That's a tall order but yes. I can.” I said before I started to pull the cart.

“ Could you take me through ponyvile first?” She asked gently.

“ That's not the shortest way.” I said, thinking about the bill. She looked at me and let a smile come.

“ That doesn't matter. I'm in no rush. I'm on my way to meet an old friend of mine.” I smiled at her before looking forward. “ I don't have any family or friends left.” She said quietly. I felt a pang of guilt in me. “ The doctors didn't give me much longer.” She said in a soft voice. I glanced back at her and saw her face. At that moment I stopped estimating how many bits she would owe me on arrival at Canterlot and smiled.

“ Which road would you like to take?” She told me were and I slowly started to pull. We walked past the bakery and I heard her chuckle.

“ I used to know the owners of that shop.” She said. I nodded and as I pulled her through the town, she told me of her life and of the friends she had. And how some buildings had changed completely from when she was young. Sometimed she would ask me to stop completely as she saw some places she recognised. She stared for minutes at a time before asking me to carry on. “ I had so many friends. I considered them family right up until...” She stopped and I knew what she meant. “ They where what made my life. Without them, these past few years have been dismal.” I listened as we travelled through ponyvile and eventually onto the walking route to Canterlot. When I saw the distance I had to go, I knew why she asked to go in a cart. The train must travel around the mountains and not through much of them as well as stopping in other stations. But the walking route took me straight there. I could see the dull light reflecting off the clouds from the city. I sped up to a small trot and listened as she told me everything. I never knew a pony could go through so much in one lifetime. But for this pony, all seamed possible.

The journey didn't take long at all. The shorter route, coupled with the long story of this wonderful pony's life shortened it. I pulled up to the gates of Canterlot and the guards took one look at me and frowned. But then they saw the mare in the cart and a look of knowing crept onto their faces. They smiled and the gates opened.

“ Go right ahead.” the said in unison. I pulled the cart into Canterlot.

“ This was where I was born.” The mare whispered. “ My home from home.” I pulled her up main street and she pointed to places and shops that were now closed.

“ Where about in Canterlot ma'am?”

“ The palace.” She said. I trusted she was meant to be there and nodded. I pulled the cart all the way to the centre of Canterlot and there was the palace. Standing in all its glory. What shocked me was who was standing at the doors. Both taller than two ponies. Wiser than any. The princesses themselves. Beside them lay a small wheelchair. They must have been expecting her. I pulled up and nodded to them. I didn't bow because of my cart and the knew it. I put the cart down gently and pulled the suitcase out of the boot and it was taken by princess Luna. I saw the mare was already in her wheelchair and was looking at me.

“ How many bits do I owe you?” She said while pulling out a purse. I put a hoof on hers to stop her raking through it.

“ Nothing.” I said with a smile. She shook her head.

“ Ponies need to be able to live don't they?”

“ There are hundreds of other passengers aren't there?” I said answering her questing with another. After that, I almost went on automatic as I quickly gave her a hug. I found her squeezing me ever so slightly as she hugged me back.

“ You helped a pony have a small moment of happenings. Thank you.” I smiled at her and turned to my cart. As I hooked myself back up in the dusk sunshine, I heard on of the princesses say.

“ Lets go Twilight.” After that the sound of the doors opening up then closing travelled through my ears. It was the worlds symbolic way of telling me it was the closing of one life. 'Twilight' The pony who on countless occasion saved Equestria. Befriended nearly everyone and never stopped helping. I felt a tear travel down my face as I thought about the last element leaving us. What if some other pony was asked to do the job. One who was inconsiderate and just wanted the bits and nothing more. I can't imagine what would have happened. It seams that life's lessons come in odd places. I've learned to treat other ponies the way I would like to be treated.

“ Goodbye … Twilight.” I whispered and left.

Comments ( 6 )

this is really depressing:fluttershysad:
is like benjamin button all over again!

Awwwww. :ajsleepy:

Reminds me a lot of that other one where Fluttershy becomes Death.
Props to you, sir. That one gave me some feels.

Very touching , by the way *rubs forehead twice*. :raritywink:

A great take on the new york taxi driver story. This, as with the original story, brought many feels with it. Bravo sir, a manly tear was shed. dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/misc_Vinyl_sad.png

Ahh...Felt some tears coming down. Life and death still applies to such a show. Even after a so called happy ending, we're all taken by death, both our friends and memories. I can understand that. :ajsleepy:

Every story comes to an end but... in all the ponies (and people) you touch along the way, it continues for as long as they go on.

Login or register to comment