• Published 10th Sep 2012
  • 23,943 Views, 314 Comments

Spike's Luna - MallaJong



Spike meets Luna at the Grand Galloping Gala.

  • ...
31
 314
 23,943

Gift.

The Grand Galloping Gala! Finally, it was here! The time has come to gather in celebratory fashion, relishing in the spectacular luxuries bestowed upon those in attendance. The Royal Princess of the Sun hosted an annual ball for the upper-crust of Canterlot, and each year’s event was just as magnificent as the previous one. Grandiose décor, gourmet foods, regal service and the noble melodies of classical performances stood as the most appreciated throughout the entire night. Of course, the Gala oozed exclusivity. Only those with special connections to the imperial family and those of great wealth were sent invitation, and as a result it always became a playground for elitist mingling. To be summoned by the coveted Golden Ticket was an opportunity unlike no other. It was the very treasure residents of Canterlot sought out for the whole of a year. And now it has come! The prodigious social affair has begun!

Having been raised in Canterlot, Spike had always desired to be present at such an occasion. It seemed his aspiration bore fruit, for he was now inside the very castle the Gala was held at. And he was with dear friends! It was a blessing to have such an experience. Happiness was the only sentiment to be retained at this moment…right?

Alas, the baby dragon was not so cheerful. For his friends had abandoned him to take part in their own agendas. Although he was surrounded by a countless number of ponies, all with very refined appearances and high-class impressions, Spike found himself feeling very alone. Of those in the audience Spike had no relation, and the reality of this pulled him away from the many social circles on the ball’s main floor. The dreaded aura of seclusion sunk deep in his chest. At every passing minute only his inner sense of loneliness dragged him further into oblivion.

In the end, Spike wandered aimlessly within the borders of the Canterlot Castle. If he was not to be with those he loved, he might as well be in isolation for the remainder of the evening. As the baby dragon roamed the halls of the citadel, he was mystified by the sheer enormity of its lavish interior. Polished floors and proper furnishings enchanted the capital’s hearth. High arched ceilings towered, massive and proud. Large windows displaying a variation of transparent colors lined pearly white walls. Extravagant tapestries, marble busts and paintings were just the sprinkles to a gloriously ornate cake. And the more Spike scanned his environs, the more saddened he became through the realization that nopony was in his company.

There wasn’t anypony feeling as lonely as he was, Spike determined. It was just he and the castle to gander at.

Interestingly enough, however, and unbeknownst to young Spike, that wasn’t particularly the case. There was another being much more in a state of segregation than he. And she wanted nothing more but to mix with her subjects. Yet she was held back by anxiety. The tension of coming into view for everypony was palpable. She knew the Grand Galloping Gala was a means of meeting with those she ruled over. It was to be her first chance to repair the holes in her reputation as a leader, and all she asked for was the drive to go out and speak. She needed the push!

A single thought kept the Princess of the Moon in her place: would she be ruining the festivities by showing up? To her chagrin, Princess Luna was once formerly known as Nightmare Moon. As the antagonistic ruler of darkness, Nightmare Moon had attempted to bring eternal night to all of Equestria. After a thousand year sentence of banishment to the moon, she had returned with a vengeance. Rage had consumed the alicorn throughout half of her lifespan, but inevitably she had been brought back to the light by the wondrous Elements of Harmony. Still, while she was now a co-leader alongside Princess Celestia, the subjects of the land continued to fear her. The very mention of Princess Luna’s name stunned and reminded all of the terrifying Nightmare Moon, and in all truth it was heartbreaking for the alicorn.

Now, Princess Luna was the one to quiver, for uneasiness detained her in the halls of her home. Hooves wobbling and her head filled with tremors, the alicorn remained immobile at a corner. Look at her now, she thought sardonically. A figurehead of royal status and a coward. She despised her own unwillingness to move forward. It was an embarrassing sight to see, she believed.

Suddenly, she heard the familiar sounds of hoofsteps. Around the bend was the tapping of hooves, and they were nearing her location. Only Princess Luna was mistaken. What she was alarmed by were not hooves at all. They were the patter of scaly feet upon a carpeted surface. For Spike had moseyed his way around the Castle grounds, and stumbled onto a staggering scene. Princess Luna peeked cautiously over her corner. Who was it? Was somepony actually there? Was she hearing things? Was she going mad again?

The alicorn was relieved to discover there was, in fact, an individual on the other side of the turn. Though she was shocked to see a creature she assumed could never have been in the Canterlot Castle. Pistachio eyes stared back at her in awe. Moderate harlequin spikes and lime green ears protruded from its head. A budish gray underbelly and purple scales reflected softly in the light. It also seemed to be wearing a suit! There was no question about it. Princess Luna recognized the features, and she was able to label the species. A dragon! There was a dragon in her midst, and it had spotted her!

Spike watched as the opaque colored pony hid behind the corner. Who was that? The pony’s countenance had appeared feminine, though he couldn’t quite get a good look. The pony had vanished before he could stop to observe. Why did she hide away? He might as well find out.

“Hello? Anypony there?” Spike called out, creeping quietly towards the corner.

Princess Luna was stupefied. She realized she had been caught, and she could sense the dragon encroaching upon her position. The alicorn knew there was opportunity to escape. Using her magic, she could easily transform into mist and flitter away in the blink of an eye. Yet she was, once again, nailed to the floor. As Spike inched ever closer to the royal figure, Princess Luna pondered on her next course of action. Fleeing was only temporarily evading the unavoidable. She was going to have to face the crowd one day, and she had constantly assured herself that it would be on the evening of the Grand Galloping Gala. Her security and self-image was on the line. It was time to take matters into her own hooves.

Standing straight and domineering, Princess Luna took a step forward. Spike bounced in surprise at this, and he was finally able to take in the full view of the pegasus unicorn. A sleek, clean navy blue coat glistened while a dark sapphire mane rippled and sparkled in ever-flowing tranquility. Large cobalt eyes as mesmerizing as the deep ocean brought the baby dragon into a trance. The pony’s tall, slender build tugged at his loins. Crystal slippers ordained her long hooves. Remarkably, she sported both a set of wings and a horn. She was an alicorn! Spike couldn’t match the right words to describe her. It all came down to a simple phrase: she was absolutely gorgeous.

“Um, are you a supermodel?” Spike blurted out, completely captivated.

Princess Luna reeled back in astonishment. That was undeniably the last thing she expected to come out of the dragon’s mouth. Therefore, she had no response to Spike’s inquiry. She had been prepared to announce her presence as Princess of the Moon, but at the moment there were no reactions in mind. She was markedly and utterly speechless. No waves of cognition traveled through her brain, and all she could do was gape slack-jawed. Did this miniature creature really just ask if she was a supermodel?

“You must be a supermodel.” Spike said confidently, waving his hand. “Hi, my name’s Spike. Nice to meet you.”

Luna remained silent. The creature had now greeted her, and she could not even mutter a single syllable. How rude could she be? She could at least return the salutation. Acknowledgement was the key to bettering relationships with one’s subjects!

“You’re looking around, too, huh?” Spike said, clicking his tongue in understanding. “Yeah, I bet you couldn’t help it. This place is really beautiful. I mean, I thought the outside was nice, but, man! The inside just takes the cake, am I right?”

The baby dragon persisted in astounding Princess Luna. Nopony other than her sister had ever spoken to her in such a casual manner. It was so informal. So unceremonious. Nevertheless, her recent edginess was dilapidating under Spike’s easygoing words. The alicorn experienced an odd impression of familiarity. It was a type of sociability that alleviated the stress of conversation with others. A certain closeness she did not believe she could have attained so effortlessly.

Princess Luna shook her head, flattening her posture. “Y-yes, we art in agreement. The Castle hath always been exquisite in its demeanor. Thine opinion is fair amongst the masses, dragon.”

“I got about half of what you said.” Spike replied bluntly, slightly confused.

“May we ask, who art thou, dragon?” Princess Luna asked hesitantly.

“I’m Spike, remember?” Spike pointed a thumb to his chest, smiling. “But I guess you can call me a close friend of Princess Celestia.”

“Tia?” Princess Luna slipped out without thought. “A dragon art an acquaintance of a Princess, thou sayest? Can thou confirm such words?”

“I’m sorry, but I can barely understand what you’re saying.” Spike apologized, holding up a hand. “Are you perhaps from another kingdom?”

Princess Luna comprehended the situation much better at that instant. It was now as clear as it could have been: Spike did not know who she was. She couldn’t particularly blame the baby dragon, though. Nopony other than royal guards, diplomatic officials and a few Canterlot citizens had beheld her in her newest form. It was not a surprise that Spike could not distinguish her as the imperial figure of the Moon. Her nocturnal sleep patterns forced her to stay indoors during the day, and at night she remained in the Castle. It goes to show how much of a hopeless case Princess Luna truly was. She really needed to just get out there.

Princess Luna was about to inform Spike of her regal standing, but something in the back her mind halted her. An idea hit her like a brick, and she couldn’t fathom having produced it. Did she have to give Spike the truth? Princess Luna presumed consequences could be brought about by her lies. But for some odd reason she felt she could not pass up this golden opportunity. Her intentions were pure, she convinced herself. She wasn’t trying to hurt the baby dragon in any way. The alicorn was merely troubled by the prospect of Spike bolting in fright the second she exposed herself as Princess Luna. Somepony was actually eagerly chatting with her, and it was a fellow subject! Spike was showing her a side that which she supposed was not a mask. Unlike the others, it did not feel like a façade crafted for the Princess.

“Yes, we art not of this land.” Princess Luna nodded in uncertainty. “Thou may callest us Princess Selena.”

“Princess?” Spike gawked keenly. “You’re a Princess?”

“Yes.” Princess Luna answered boldly.

Spike noticed the cerulean crown resting comfortably atop her cranium. He also noted the crescent-shaped cutie mark on the side of her flank. It matched the symbol on her neckwear. At first he had guessed it was a dining bib, but now he discerned it could be the icon of her allegiance. Was it the emblem of her kingdom? That was a possibility. How could he have been so oblivious? How could he have been discourteous? She was royalty!

“Please, forgive me, Princess.” Spike bowed repentantly. “I was rude towards you.”

“Dragon, thou hath no reason to apologize.” Princess Luna retorted quickly. “Dost thou treat Princess Celestia the same?”

Spike picked his head up awkwardly. “W-well, yes, I kind of do. But that doesn’t excuse me –“

“Then I bid thee to behave similarly when before us.” Princess Luna demanded sensitively. “We hold much appreciation in thy brass nature.”

“I don’t know, Princess…” Spike said doubtfully.

“Art thou disobeying the decree of a Princess?” Princess Luna tested, hoping Spike was not going to be scared off.

“No! That’s not it!” Spike instantly countered, flailing his arms.

“Then it is done.” Princess Luna stated straightforwardly.

Spike sighed in defeat. “If that’s what you want, Princess. Just don’t be angry if I end up insulting you in some way or form. Because I promise I will not mean to.”

“We art tougher than thou thinkest, dragon.” Princess Luna said assertively.

Spike pondered the words of the alicorn. To the baby dragon, Princess Luna was Princess Selena. And now she had appealed to Spike to act as he often does, even when around her. He was not so fond of the task, but he proposed to fulfill his mission either way. As a certified assistant, Spike was used to following orders and commands. Hence, being able to act informally towards a Princess he’s never met before was probably going to be easier than he primarily alleged. Of course, if the baby dragon were to do so naturally, he felt he needed to know a few things beforehand. Priority-wise, how was he going to continue to communicate with Princess Selena when she had such a thick dialect? And why did she come off as aggressive?

“I have a question, Princess Selena.” Spike directed, raising his index finger. “Does everypony in your kingdom talk like you?”

Princess Luna lied smoothly. “All in our land speakest as we do. It is the traditional form of communication between ponies.”

“I see. You speak in an olden dialect, right? I’ve read about it in a few books.” Spike contemplated. “Do you know how to speak like the folk out here in Canterlot?”

“We have not tried, dragon. Why dost thou ask?”

“Another thing, Princess Selena.” Spike brought up openly. “Please, call me Spike. I feel calling me ‘dragon’ makes things more impersonal.”

“I-is that so?” Princess Luna commented timidly. “Then I shall…Spike.”

“See, we’re getting closer.” Spike beamed brightly. “Now, about your speech…”

At that, Spike offered Princess Luna instruction on modern dialogue. He found it to be an interesting project, and he was amazed to learn that the alicorn had no difficulty getting the hang of it. Princess Luna’s enthusiasm for educating herself on the methods of contemporary discourse aided greatly in their endeavor. It took a few minutes until the words ‘we’ , ‘our’ and ‘us’ were changed to ‘I’ , ‘my’ and ‘me’. Working on her forceful tone took a bit more time, but in the end she successfully handled a gentle vocalization with ease. Part of the influence for her swift training process was due to Princess Luna’s observation of her sister. She had detected and had partially picked up the skills of her sibling’s communiqué, and it had become a latent reserve for Spike’s teaching.

“’Hey, baby, bring me that piece of pie.’ Was that okay, Spike?” Princess Luna repeated efficiently. “How did I sound that time?”

“Say it again, Princess.” Spike said lightly. “But try ‘my baby’ now. That way we can get in that ‘my’ instead of ‘our’, you see?”

“Yes, of course.” Princess Luna cleared her throat innocently. “‘Hey, my baby, bring me that piece of pie.’”

Princess Luna looked to Spike in anticipation, eager to hear she had done well. Spike smirked slyly and snickered. Giving the alicorn a thumbs up, Spike skipped to her side jubilantly.

“Yeah, you did great, Princess.” Spike chuckled. “Okay, now try ‘Hey, honey, let me get in on that fritter.'”

Spike held in his laughter, perceptive of the fact that he was probably pushing it. He just needed to hear the Princess say it. This was a once in a lifetime chance. She sounded so adorable when she reiterated phrases nopony would ever say. Well, nopony except for Spike, at least.

“Why are you laughing?” Princess Luna eyed Spike suspiciously. “Did I sound strange, after all?”

“No, no, it’s nothing.” Spike assured Princess Luna. “I just thought of a joke, and I couldn’t help but laugh a bit. Sorry. Okay, so go on then. ‘Hey, my honey, let me get in on that fritter.’”

“Okay, then…” Princess Luna said distrustfully, extending a hoof. “’Hey, my honey, let me get in on that fritter!’ Oh, no, I think I was too loud that time.”

That did it. Spike fell on his back, chortling like mad. He couldn’t believe she actually said it! Oh, this was rich. The random alicorn her had run into truly made his evening. Now he was less regretful of attending the Grand Galloping Gala, because he was able to be sufficiently entertained by the beautiful Princess. As Spike cackled wildly on the floors of the Castle, Princess Luna fumed strikingly. There was no doubt about it: Spike was mocking her.

“You are laughing at me, aren’t you?” Princess Luna quarreled, pointing a hoof at the prone Spike. “I knew it! I knew it!”

“Heh. You caught me!” Spike put his hands over his head. “But didn’t you say you were tough, Princess? I thought this was okay.”

Princess Luna went stiff. She did say that, didn’t she? What an intriguing creature, she ruminated to herself. Spike was truthful when he said he was to conduct himself nonchalantly around her. It was a fascinating reality, and it was reassuring. Princess Luna was finally being one of the gang. One of two, it seemed, but one nonetheless. And it was ideal. Right at her hooves was a baby dragon sniggering animatedly, neither threatened nor at defense by her presence. Spike was vulnerable. He was displaying a personality unlike no other. And she cherished it.

Finally, she joined in the peaceful merriment. The baby dragon and the alicorn lingered in that particular hall of the Canterlot Castle, and an air of amusement enveloped the two. Princess Luna experienced a novel pleasure that night, one of purity and of bliss. It was original, fresh and unreservedly different. A kind of inclination solely brought about by the ability to joke at oneself. Because at that period of eve, it wasn’t to gibe or to criticize. It was to love. But not to love the materialistic, like those celebrating in the mall hall. It was to love life itself. After existing for a thousand years on barren rock, Princess Luna was finally bestowed upon the gift of laughter.

And she had only Spike to thank for such a miracle.

Spike’s Luna