• Published 29th Sep 2021
  • 514 Views, 4 Comments

Hope and Wrath - Godzilla2020



When the seas run red and the moths cry may the last hope awaken to appease the flames of wrath.

  • ...
 4
 514

Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Tokumitsu was standing by a street corner near a cafe. He breathed heavily not knowing what to expect. He felt cool last night finally asking Akane on a date and her agreeing without a second thought. But now he couldn’t get his legs to stop shaking. When his phone buzzed, he nearly yelped.

“H-Hello?” He said with a shaky voice.

“Are you seriously wussing out already?” Satomi’s snickering voice spoke over the phone.

He sighed, his face turning red, “No of course not.”

“You’re wearing the clothes I picked out right?” She asked.

“I don’t see why I couldn’t pick out my own clothes.” Tokumitsu said looking at the red t-shirt and jeans Satomi had left on his bed.

“Just don’t mess this up. We’re almost there.” Satomi said with a bored sigh.

“Wait, did you say we?” Tokumitsu said his heart was starting to beat faster.

“Satomi, who are you talking to?”

He could hear Akane’s voice in the background. He felt his heart starting to beat faster to the point that he was starting to see double. He needed to lean against a wall to keep steady.

“Hey, I can hear you hyperventilating over the phone. Please keep it together and try not to puke.” Satomi said, “Look I’m pretty sure she loves you too, for whatever reason, so just treat this as a normal day out.”

Tokumitsu took a deep breath putting a hand to his racing heart, “Thanks Satomi.”

“That’s a good boy. Now when we turn the corner try not to stare too much.”

“What do you mean stare?” Tokumitsu said with a raised eyebrow. The last thing he heard was a coy laugh from Satomi that made his guts churn. He knew that laugh meant trouble for anyone who heard it.

A loud whistle suddenly caught his attention and looked to the street corner. Satomi was the first to emerge with a smile on her face. He waved back at her with his own awkward smile. She then moved to the side revealing the person behind her. His eyes nearly popped out of his skull. Akane awkwardly stepped forward, her cheeks red as a cherry. He was so used to seeing her in work out attire or her military garb. So, the bright blue sundress had completely thrown him for a loop. She had a soft touch of eye shadow applied that made her eyes look softer when she looked at him. Her hair was neatly combed and gently rested against her shoulders. When she looked at him, she started moving as if there were weights on her feet. Her face crinkled as it became redder the closer she got. His heart started beating faster again as he started becoming tongue tied. He always knew she was beautiful, but this was different. She just looked so…“Incredible.”

“What?!” Akane said, wincing, realizing that she spoke too loud.

“You look incredible, Akane.” Tokumitsu said letting his mind speak for him.

Akane lost her voice from the complement and her knees became weaker. She tried talking but nothing was coming out. Satomi snickered cupping a hand under Akane’s chin and began moving her lips.

“Gee thanks Toku. I totally didn’t beg Satomi for help because I’ve never been on a date before.” Satomi said in a dopey voice, “You look really cute too. I wanna have all your babies.”

A vein poked out of Akane’s forehead, and she lashed out at Satomi. Though she nimbly moved out of the way of her raging friend. Satomi had a sly smile hiding behind Tokumitsu, “Toku Akane’s being mean to me.”

“You little…” Akane raised her hand ready to claw at her friend, but Tokumitsu gently clasped it causing her to gasp.

“Akane, I need Satomi alive to babysit.” Tokumitsu said with a smile while holding her hand, “Besides I want to enjoy the day with you.”

“I…I…She.” Akane sighed with a red face, “Fine.”

“Not bad Toku. Just for that I won’t feed Sara ice cream for dinner.” Satomi said, patting Tokumitsu on the shoulder.

“Please just have her in bed by the time I get home.” Tokumitsu said with a sigh.

“No promises. Now you two have fun, oh and if you rent a hotel, I’m charging extra.” Satomi said leaving the couple red faced and stammering.

“I’m gonna kill her.” They both grumbled.

At a restaurant nearby Aki held a newspaper to her face. She pulled it down revealing binoculars clinging to her eyes. She snickered as she focused on the couple. Sitting across from her were Miki, Applejack, Fluttershy, all of them looking rather annoyed.

“So Autumn's like this in her hometown as well.” Fluttershy said.

“Yes, unfortunately, Aki always was nosey but when it comes to romance, she goes full psycho.” Miki said with a sigh.

“I once caught her hiding out in my barn when my brother started going on dates with his gal.” Applejack said.

“I remember a certain blonde and her little sister joining me.” Aki said not taking her eyes off of Akane and Tokumitsu, “Besides I didn’t spy on that much.”

“Twilight and Timber, Sunset and Flash, Lyra and Bon Bon, Me and Dash.” Applejack deadpanned.

Aki turned to the girls and nonchalantly cleared her throat, “I plead the fifth.”

“Baka.” Miki chopped Aki on the head.

“Hey I just wanted to make sure that…Holy crap we have a kiss!” Aki shouted.

“What!” Miki gasped before grabbing the binoculars from Aki and putting them to her eyes. Unaware that the strap was now clinging to Aki’s neck. She gagged and grasped at the air all while Miki giggled to herself. “I didn’t think Tokumitsu was this bold.”

“Um Miki I think you’re um oh dear.” Fluttershy was struggling to get Miki’s attention.

“Kind of looks like that cartoon with them yellow folks.” Applejack said with a snicker.

Back down the road Tokumitsu pulled his lips away from a blushing Akane. Both were in complete shock from their actions. They stumbled on their words trying to come up with the next thing to say. Although Akane was hoping that it would happen again. She started moving closer to him, putting her arms around his necks with a smile. Tokumitsu smiled back, “So I take it you're not angry?”

“Of course….” She trailed off when in her peripheral vision caught the sight of a group by the cafe. She could see Miki with a wide grin holding binoculars closer to her face. “NOT!?” Akane’s eyes flashed with pure anger.

“Oh man, you are angry.” Tokumitsu took a step back.

Akane saw the fear in Tokumitsu’s eyes causing her to loosen up. She stumbled on her words before laughing shyly and rubbing the back of her head. “No, of course not. I just stubbed my toe.” She nervously laughed before grabbing his arm and pulling him forward, “Now let’s go I wanna see what you planned for us.”

“Oh…um…of course.” Tokumitsu said being pulled along by Akane.

Back at the cafe Miki continued to watch with a wide grin as steam came out of her nose, “This is so romantic!”

“Um Applejack…do you think we should tell her that Aki is well um.” Fluttershy was stumbling on her words when she saw Akii.

“Nah I think this is a good lesson for her.” Applejack said with a snicker.

Aki’s eyes had rolled into the back of her skull as foam slushed out of her mouth. Miki was paying little attention to that as she focused on the couple. Suddenly she felt her phone starting to buzz.

“Who could be calling now?!” She groaned, pulling her phone out. However, she cocked an eyebrow seeing it was a text message from, “Akane?!”

She felt her spine stiffen when she opened it to read.

“I CAN SEE YOU IDIOTS!”

Miki gulped looking back into the binoculars. She saw that Tokumitsu was leading Akane away, but she was looking over her shoulder. An angered scowl appeared across her face as she stared directly at her.

“Time to go!” Miki suddenly shouted, grabbing Applejack and Fluttershy by the arms. Aki was dragged along, still connected to the binocular strap. She left behind a trail of dust as their waiter screamed that they hadn’t paid.

Akane watched the cloud of dust and snorted, “Good riddance.” She whispered under her breath.

“You say something?” Tokumitsu said with a raised eyebrow.

“Oh nothing.” Akane said with a smile on her face.

……….
South Pacific
……….

“So that’s what they look like.” Asagi said looking at pictures on her phone. She giggled looking at the pictures Aki had sent her. She then let out a bored sigh “And here I was hoping to practice my English.”

“Hello, how are you?” Someone spoke over her shoulder.

Asagi yelped, nearly dropping her phone. She looked over her shoulder and found Mito Asakura standing over her shoulder with a smile.

“Professor Asakura?!”

“Your English could use some work.” Asakura said with a smile.

“I’m sorry I thought I was alone.” Asagi said with a small laugh.

Asakura smiled politely at her while looking at her phone, “Are those the friends I hear you and Miki talking about?”

“Oh yes, well at these three are, the American’s are friends of a friend. But I think that makes them my friends.” Asagi said with an eager smile as she pointed to Aki, “This is my friend Aki, she’s been my best friend since middle school.”

Asakura smiled like a pleased mother nodding her head along with each word, “My, My, I feel sorry for having to pull you away from your meeting.”

“No, I wouldn't miss a trip like this for the world!” Asagi said.

“Such dedication I love to see it.” Asakura said with tears welling in her eyes, “I have such great students!”

Asakura started crying uncontrollably, making Asagi pat her back, “There, there, professor, no need for another crying fit.”

“I’m just so…happy.” Asakura sniffled out, “I wish…Miki was here with us.”

“Weren’t you the one who suggested Miki come for the second outing?” Asagi asked.

Asakura’s eyes widened in shock as she hit the palm of her hand, “Oh that’s right.”

“How could you forget?!” Asagi shouted, smacking Asakura over the head. She sighed, dragging a hand across her face, “I swear you’re just as forgetful as Aki.”

A thought crossed her mind and she looked to the sulking Asakura, “Professor why did you come to my room?”

“You know I don’t remember.” Asakura said, tapping her chin.

“Try harder!” Asagi shouted with a twitching eyebrow.

“Oh yeah now I remember, I was wondering if you’re prepared to go ashore?”

“We’re going ashore already?” Asagi said in shock, “But I thought we were going to wait for Professor Harata’s group to join us.”

“Unfortunately, there was a malfunction with his team’s boat. So, they will not be able to join us.” Asakura sadly said.

“Oh, I see. That’s too bad I was hoping to ask him more about the tablet he sent to us.” Asagi said with a sigh.

Asakura smiled lightly, running a hand through the girl’s hair, “Don’t worry you’ll see him soon. Now get ready I’ll be waiting for you on the beach with the rest of the team.”

“Yes ma’am.”

As she walked out Asakura stopped at the door and looked over her shoulder, “By the way how did you interpret that tablet?”

“Um…well I think the part about the flame of wrath was a warning about some type of calamity. The part about the moths and the last hope are throwing me off. Maybe those people were talking about a chosen one.” Asagi said before groaning, “But what does that have to do with moths?”

“Don’t think about it too hard, young one.” Asakura said, starting to step out.

“Professor one more thing, have you ever heard about Gamera?”

Asakura stopped in her tracks, looking at Asagi with a neutral expression. She gently touched the magatama around her neck, “Sorry I’m not used to the way young people talk. Is that slang for something?”

“Sorry I didn’t mean to bring it up. I just had a weird dream last night. I think my friends and I just talked too much about this Gojira legend yesterday. I must have made up my own monster.” Asagi said with a light chuckle.

Asakura held a small smile, “You and your friends have interesting imaginations. Gamera and Gojira sound like interesting creatures. Now hurry, we shouldn't keep the others waiting.”

“Right away ma’am.” Asagi said with a wide smile as Asakura left the room. She hummed to herself making sure she had everything she needed. So caught up in her work she didn’t notice the lingering gaze of Asakura. A green glow cast upon her eyes as she held her magatama.

………….
Mysterious Atoll
………….

Waves crashed upon the harsh rocky surface that made up the atoll. The rocks were pitch black and jagged. The atoll was larger than any onboard the ship were prepared for. As it stretched for several miles. At least according to those who had come ashore and began taking measurements. To the surprise of those who could see them there were ruins scattered across the large land mass. Asagi had wide eyes with a large smile on her face as she approached the atoll on the small boat. They were broken but still stood in the air like a skyscraper. Asagi strained her neck trying to get a full view of it.

“Woah there.” A soft voice playfully chimed, placing a hand against her back. Asagi turned to find a smiling woman with brown hair staring back at her with a smile. She was in shorts and white t-shirt with the Science Expo logo on the front, similar to what Asagi and the rest of the research team were wearing.

“Meru! Sorry I was just surprised by everything.” Asagi with a red face, “The architecture here is just so amazing and the fact that it’s still intact.”

“You’re acting like a geek again.” Meru whispered.

Asagi's face grew redder as she tried to cover it with a notebook. Meru chuckled, patting Asagi on the shoulder, “Hey no worries you’re not the only one.”

Meru pointed to other members of their research team as they walked around the atoll. Some were already writing notes or taking pictures with each other. Meru walked around with Asagi joining her. “By the way, where's Miki? Aren’t you two normally joined at the hip?”

“She was placed in the second grouping. She’ll be here later in the day.” Asagi said although she was absentminded continuing to look around at the various structures. “Is that Greek or maybe Roman?” she said aloud, taking a pen from her backpack to start writing notes.

Meru chuckled while rolling her eyes. She looked around the atoll in wonder as well although a thought was still plaguing her mind, “I’m still really curious what caused this thing to rise and what’s making it stay afloat and more importantly.” She looked up at the clear blue sky and noticed the silence from it, “Where are the seagulls?”

“Would they really come this far out in the middle of the ocean?” Asagi asked, looking up from her notebook.

“We’re not far away enough from the mainland.” Meru said before kneeling down and touching the rocky ground. Her eyes widened in shock, “Woah Asagi touch this.”

Asagi didn’t waste any time and touched the ground, her eyes widening, before quickly pulling her hand away, “It’s so warm!”

“Yeah, and before you ask this isn’t from the sun.” Meru said, before walking toward the water. Asagi followed her with trouble as she tried to take notes and walk at the same time. When she caught up to her friend, they were both standing on the edge of the atoll. “Take a look, I didn't notice this before but now.”

She pointed to the water and the two watched as the water hitting the stone started to turn to steam. “I think it generates its own heat.”

“Is that even possible?” Asagi asked.

“I’m honestly not sure.” Meru said, “Maybe if we were near a…”

“Ladies, is everything alright?”

The two jumped and turned, finding Asakura standing behind them. She was dressed similarly to the others with the exception of the hunting knife strapped to her hip.

“Woah there sensei!” Meru said with wide eyes, “I don’t think there’s anything out here that can hurt us.”

“Oh what, this?” Asakura said, pulling the knife from its sheath, “I use it for collecting rock samples.”

She then began balancing the knife on the tip of her finger. She then casually tossed it in the air making the girls tense up as they watched it tumble through the air. The moment it came to her face Asakura caught it by the hilt, twirled it a final time before placing it into the sheath and gave a classy bow. She looked with a smile while Meru and Asagi looked at her slack jawed.

“You know that took a lot of effort. So much practice and I couldn’t get a single cheer.” She said with a pout.

“Sorry ma’am it’s just that…well we’ve seen you trip on your feet. So, seeing you do all that is kind of surprising.” Meru said, shrugging her shoulders. Asakura looked as though she had an arrow pierce her heart.

“Where did you learn to do that?” Asagi asked.

“A woman my age can still have hobbies.” Asakura said with a wink, “Now if I may ask what are you two doing here? We’re about to head further inland.”

“Oh yes about that, Meru discovered something interesting.” Asagi led Asakura to the edge and showed her the steaming water.

“How fascinating.”

“That’s not all, the architecture here seems to be a mixture of Greek and Roman.”

Asakura laughed slightly, “It’s a lot more than that.”

The girl’s raised their eyebrows making Asakura smile as she gestured for them to follow her. Asagi and Meru followed their teacher further inland. Asagi looked at everything with the wide eyes of a child on Christmas morning. That was until she brought them to a cliff’s edge and her eyes grew larger. At the bottom of a chasm were several crumbling buildings but, in the middle, completely intact was a large stone pagoda tower.

“That’s incredible, a stone pagoda in the middle of the ocean.” Asagi said, “Not only that but some of those buildings there look like they have Egyptian symbols. This place is like a mixing pot of different cultures.”

“I’ll say.” Meru said as she started steadying herself along the edge, “Alright looks safe enough.”

“What are you—Meru!”

Asagi gasped as her friend started sliding down the edge of the cliff. She laughed the entire way down as the wind blew through her hair. Once she reached the bottom, she held her arms up, “You two coming down or what?”

“She always was the adventurous one.” Asakura said with an amused laugh as she started making her way down.

“Are you serious?!” Asagi said with wide eyes before dragging a hand across her face, “Why am I even asking that? Well shouldn’t we tell the others where we’re going?”

“I told everyone to break into groups and gather information. Besides, this place will be a lot easier to explore in a small group than a large team for now.” Asakura called as she reached the bottom.

“Come on Asagi first come first serve.” Meru said with a smile.

Asagi sighed as she started climbing down and mumbling small curses to herself. Her palms were already sweating as she looked over her shoulder and saw the ground. She gulped and hugged the wall.

“Asagi we’re burning daylight here.” Meru called out, “It’s not that bumpy and it's sloped, just slide down on your butt.”

“Will you just let me do this my way!”

“Don’t say I didn’t give you a chance.” Meru said, grabbing a rock, “Oh my God, I think I see a crab crawling on your leg.”

“What?!” Asagi suddenly shouted freezing in place.

Meru tossed the rock, landing a direct hit on Asagi's leg. She let out a loud scream and scrambled down the cliffside leaving a trail of dust behind. When she reached the bottom, she started rolling on the ground looking over herself.

“Where is it?! Where is it?!” Asagi shouted.

“Oh, look I think I found it.” Meru said, she held a pebble in her hands and was trying to hold back her laughs.

Asagi had a red face and shook from anger. Meru held her hands up in defense giving an honest smile, “Hey you made it down here faster.”

“Meru, that wasn’t funny.” Asakura said in a scolding tone. Asagi walked off with puffed cheeks as Meru hung her head in shame. Although when Asagi was out of ear shot Asakura leaned closer to her student, “But it was very effective.” The two snickered and high-fived following after Asagi.

They ventured through the crumbling architecture with wide eyes of amazement. Asagi wrote down in detail everything she saw. She stopped when she found a still intact statue. It was a woman in a long gown holding out her hand. Large crown sat on her head. Her face was in a neutral position, but it looked oddly familiar. In her chest was a familiar crescent shaped magatama.

“Asakura?” She whispered to herself looking closely at it. There was writing on the bottom, and she cocked a head seeing the strange text. It wasn’t any language that she had seen before. “Wait a minute are those?”

She pulled her backpack around and pulled out the book she bought in Tokyo. She looked at the cover with a small smile on her face. ‘The Mysteries of Atlantis.’ She turned the pages until finding what she was looking for. Her eyes widened, “These are runes!”

She glided her hand across the carved text of the statue, “Glory to Nailai Kanai?”

Asagi cocked her head in confusion then noticed a painting. It looked like something from Egyptian culture. It depicted people gathering around a large creature. It looked like nothing she had seen before. The creature's head was bulky sitting in the middle of it was a long and curved horn, reminding her of a sword, it had pitch black eyes that reminded her of a shark. Behind the beast stood a pagoda. Asagi looked at the picture then to the pagoda standing in the middle of the ancient city.

Curiosity was getting the better of her as she continued to look at the ancient painting. She ran her hand across it, finding engravings for her to translate. She looked at her book and matched each symbol but was still confused when she spoke the words aloud.

“Jyarumu?”

“Bless you.” Meru said from behind.

Asagi looked over her shoulder and found her friend standing behind her. Meru looked at the painting with a raised eyebrow, “Well there’s a face only a mother could love.”

“Meru this place or rather these people are like the ones from my book.” Asagi held up her book to Meru before pointing out the ancient runes on the painting to those in her book. She walked her to the statute next and translated what she had found. Meru took it all in with wide eyes.

“Nailai Kanai? Like from the kid’s book?” Meru said.

“Kid’s book?”

“Yeah, it was really underrated but has a pretty big cult following. It talks about this beautiful princess and legendary monsters that defend an ancient kingdom made of gold.” Meru explained and looked at the statue, “Is this Princess Yuna?”

The girls looked at the statue starting to feel goosebumps building up. Asagi looked at the pagoda and she felt a lingering need to go to it. Like something was calling for her to come.

“Let’s go inside.” Asagi said.

“Strange normally I’m the one insisting to go inside strange places.” Meru said with a small laugh, “Should we wait for Asakura?”

Asagi was already walking toward the pagoda leaving Meru behind, “Or not. First, she’s too chicken to come down now she’s a lone wolf.”

Asagi couldn’t fight the urge to go inside this strange place. She felt like any questions she had could be answered here. When she got to the entrance, she could feel a heat coming from inside. It was strange, almost welcoming, she was about to step in until a hand grabbed her shoulder.

“Are you sure about going in? I’m not normally the skittish type but this place is kind of giving me a real do not enter vide.” Meru said.

“Yeah…I can’t explain it but…I need to see what’s in here.” Asagi said, “How about you run to get Asakura and meet me inside?”

“And leave you alone in an ancient crumbling temple? Where, knowing your uncoordinated luck, you could end up falling down some hole.” Meru said with a raised eyebrow.

“I’m not that uncoordinated.” Asagi said with puffed cheeks. Meru gave her an unconceived look. “Well, I’ll at least look out for holes. My flashlight is powerful.”

Meru sighed, “I’m going with you but only for five minutes. After that I’m dragging you out of there.”

Asagi nodded with a thankful smile before holding her fist out. Meru bumped it, adding an exploding fireworks sound effect that made them both laugh. With that they both took a breath before entering the building. The sun was high in the sky and yet the room they entered was as dark as night. Meru fished a flashlight from her backpack and tossed it to Asagi.

“Lead the way.”

When she turned it on Asagi swung the flashlight along the walls. She immediately caught sight of the strange symbols along the wall. They were followed by a mural depicting what she could only assume to be a battle. She took her phone out along with Meru and immediately began snapping pictures. Although Asagi felt the urge to do more to this find.

“Meru start filming.” Asagi said as she continued to look at the mural.

“You got it boss.” Meru said with a playful salute. She hit the record button on her phone, “Day one of Meru's mystery island vlog. So far, we’ve discovered remnants of an ancient civilization and my ingenious partner decided to go and explore the creepiest building here. Say hi to your audience, Asagi.”

“Ha, ha, could you take this a little seriously?” Asagi said.

“And with that attitude you get a rainy cloud filter.” Meru teased as she turned to look around the building, “Man I have the night vision on, and I can still barely see anything.” Meru sighed as she continued to look around a shiver lingering down her spine.

“You know my dad took me to one of these as a kid. It was pretty fun and full of artifacts. He also taught me about Buddhism.” She hummed aloud looking at the dilapidated walls, “But I get the feeling that this place wasn’t for that.”

“I can’t argue with that.” Asagi said, “Come look at this painting.”

Meru looked at with a cocked head and raised eyebrows, “And I thought I was bad in art class.”

“Focus Meru.”

“Sorry I tell jokes when I’m scared.”

“Just look at this.” Asagi ran her hand along the ancient mural. There were human figures that looked to be dressed in white robes. They held their hands over their heads. Some of them looked to be holding spears while charging at another group that were colored turquoise. “It looks like there was a war.”

“So, there wasn’t just one civilization but two?” Meru asked in shock as she zoomed in on the mural.

“No look closer.” Asagi said, “I think they’re all related. Just look at their clothes other than the colors they’re the same.”

“So, you’re saying this was a civil war?” Meru looked around, “But over what?”

She looked further down before finding a familiar figure in the mural, “Hey Asagi, recognize this pretty boy.”

Asagi followed her line of sight and found the mural depicted the same giant creature as the one she saw outside, “Jyarumu again?”

“You named it?” Meru asked, trying to stifle a laugh.

“No, I saw it inscribed on a mural outside. From the way his image is scattered about, maybe he was some kind of God to them.” Asagi hummed looking over the picture. The creature named Jyarumu stood on its hind legs standing next to what she assumed was the pagoda they were currently standing in. Under its legs smaller figures moved in a line toward the building.

Meru tapped her chin looking at the creature, “I know I’m going off a picture, but I think this thing was some kind of shark.”

“Meru.” Asagi said.

“No, just looking at the position of the snout and mouth reminds me of a bull shark. But then there’s that tail kind of like a thrasher. Although the hands and feet are throwing me off, maybe some kind of early amphibian adaptation?” She began tapping her chin.

“Meru, listen to me,” Asagi said, looking her friend in the face and pointing her toward the image of the pagoda, “This place isn’t a pagoda, I'm beginning to think that it’s a prison.”

Meru looked at the mural of Jyarumu standing over the pagoda and the tiny figures under it. They entered the building and standing around them were other figures holding spears. She then looked at the beast again, who stood over the building watching it, “And I think I know who the warden was.” Meru gulped looking around the building more. She felt her skin crawling as though eyes were watching them, “Asagi can we please leave? I seriously don’t want to be here anymore.”

Asagi looked at Meru and noticed her quivering face. Her friend's foot was tapping uncontrollably. She took a breath feeling a creeping sensation all around. “Yeah, let’s go.”

Meru started to walk away and Asagi was about to follow her until she heard something. It was soft at first like a heartbeat, but then started to grow louder. A rumbling under the stone ground. Her eyes widened, “Earthquake!”

The stone beneath their feet began to crack and churn. Asagi fell to the ground, unable to keep her footing as the earth continued to shift. She looked at Meru, who was reaching out to grab her, she reached for her friend trying to grab her hand. Their fingers touched each other only for Meru to suddenly rise into the air. Asagi gasped realizing that Meru wasn’t rising into the air, but she was sinking into the earth. When she looked over her shoulder, she saw the ground collapsing inward breaking down and leading to a dark abyss. She screamed when she felt herself sliding down into the darkness.

“Asagi, grab on!” Meru flung her backpack over, angling the strap for Asagi to grab.

Asagi tried grabbing the strap but missed each time, “I can’t reach it.”

“Asagi, listen to me, you have to climb.” Meru called, stretching her arm out. Asagi’s eyes grew wide with fear as she tried to move but only slid down further. She cried out hugging the ground. “Don’t be afraid I’m right here and I won’t leave you.” Meru put on her best smile to encourage her friend.

Asagi could barely breathe as she held tightly in an attempt to fall any further. She looked at Meru and took a breath. She reached a hand and tried climbing up. Meru smiled, “That’s it you can do it.”

Asagi tried to drown out the rest of the world around her as she continued to climb. All the while listening to Meru’s words of encouragement. She reached out for the strap again this time her fingertips were able to graze it. She kept reaching until she finally managed to grab the strap.

“All right now start using those legs.” Meru said with a smile as she began to pull.

Asagi started moving up while Meru aided her by pulling. Her mind was still racing but she started to feel herself beginning to relax. Until a new sound caught their attention. It was subtle but present and it caused Meru to freeze in place. Her eyes ventured upward, and she gasped in horror. A screech droned out Meru’s scream as Asagi’s vision was filled with a disturbing blue glow. It was so bright that she had to shield her eyes and at the moment she felt herself slip. The girl's eyes opened in time to the world falling backward she screamed, but it wasn’t from the fact that she was falling.

Bat-like wings spread open, revealing leathery black skin that let off an eerie blue glow, in its arrow shaped skull sat glowing red eyes. The beast opened its mouth shrieking revealing razor teeth and in its claws was a terrified Meru. The beast screeching drowned out Meru’s screams as she was lifted higher into the air. Asagi watched this in horror as she began to hyperventilate.

“MERU!”

Asagi screamed before being consumed by darkness.

………..
Back in Japan
……….

Miki stopped running, taking a huffing breath, “Finally I think we lost her.”

“Um Miki?” Fluttershy nervously pointed at Aki.

Their friend was foaming at the mouth and twitching. Miki looked at her with a passing glance before shrugging. “She’ll be fine. Akane would have done way worse if she got her hands on us.”

“I swear Autumn gets herself into more trouble than a bull in a china shop.” Applejack sighed, shaking her head.

I’ve been meaning to ask, why do you call Aki Autumn?” Miki asked with a raised eyebrow.

Well that’s kind of a funny story,” AJ started to explain, “Our professor kept getting her name wrong so to make it easy for him Aki started going by Autumn Blaze.

Well Autumn is what her name translates to, but where did the Blaze come from?” Miki asked.

“That’s actually my gamer tag.” Aki pipped up rubbing the back of her head.

“You are such a moron.” Miki groaned.

“Hey, Autumn Blaze, wasn’t the weirdest name at that school.” Aki said with a shrug before looking at her watch, “Hey what time is your flight?”

“I have an hour, but it would be best if we get going now.” Miki suggested.

All right girls, we're moving out.” Aki called out and began leading the way.

Do you even know where it is you’re leadin us?” Applejack asked with a raised eyebrow.

Aki froze in place with an awkward smile as she rubbed the back of her head. Miki sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose she turned Aki around. “Of course we’re going this way!” Aki proudly declared.

I’m just going to follow you sugar cube.” Applejack said to Miki.

Everyone usually does.” Miki said.

Unbeknownst to the girls, a pair watched them from afar. A man with dark hair leaned against the wall he scowled at the girls gripping his arm tightly. A hand rested on his shoulder he looked up seeing a man in white with blonde hair that was tied into a ponytail smiling calmly at him.

“Easy old friend.” He whispered, “Our time will come soon.”

“I’m sorry Metphies. It’s just….is our mission finally going to come to an end.” The man asked.

The man named Metphies chuckled lightly into his palm, “It is Haruo, but we must have patience.”

Haruo clenched his fist tightly while watching the girls. He slowly hid himself back into the shadows, “Priestess of Wrath, you’ll get what’s coming to you.”

“30,000 years later and you still hold your grudge.” Metphies said with an amused grin as he looked at his phone, “Then again I guess you’re not the only one.”

………..
Beneath the Atoll
……….

Asagi’s face twitched as she lay on the ground. She groaned as her eyes started to flutter open. She suddenly gasped everything coming to her like a bullet and she jolted back to life. “Meru?! Meru?!” She frantically called out searching for her friend. The memory of her friend being taken by a monster replayed in her head, “That couldn’t have been real.” She said to herself as she called out for Meru again. She looked around trying to gain her bearings but was only met by darkness. It was so dark that she couldn’t even see where she fell from. Her voice grew hoarse as she cried calling out once more.

“Meru?! Can you hear me!” She dropped to her knees, head sinking, “Please just give me a sign that you're okay.”

She let out a sorrowful groan and tried picking herself only to trip over something. She looked down and found Meru’s backpack. She picked it up and her eyes grew wide before tearing up. It was soaking wet smelling of copper. She shook holding the bag closer, “No, please no. Meru, please answer me!”

Her tearful calls were suddenly answered by a wild screech. She felt a shiver run up her spine before falling silent. The darkness started to illuminate with an eerie blue glow as the sound of scraping stone echoed around her. It escalated to growling as whatever was with her started getting closer.

She backed up, rising to her feet, her breathing quickened. The glowing started to dissipate; it became quiet to the point that she could hear a pin drop. Asagi’s legs began to shake along with her chattering teeth. There was something in front of her, but she couldn’t see it. She gripped the backpack tighter before throwing it into the darkness. It hit something with a loud THUNK as it landed on the ground only a few feet in front of her.

A low growl escaped the darkness as red eyes stared back at her. Asagi couldn’t summon a scream as the monster stared at her. A clawed hand reached out and crushed the backpack. The beast let out a screeching roar as its body illuminated revealing the rhinoceros sized monster standing before her. The creature's claws were attached to large wings, patches of its black skin were patterned with glowing bioluminescent patches, and its arrow shaped head cocked like a bird. The beak of the horrifying beast dripped with a dark red liquid and in it was a hand.

“M-M-Meru.” Asagi whispered as her eyes shook.

The monster lifted the backpack up with one claw and started sniffing it. The monster reared its head back, swallowing Meru’s remains and backpack in one gulp. It then settled its red eyes on Asagi. The bioluminescent patches on the creature began to flicker as the creature gurgled. It took a step forward and Asagi lost control.

She screamed in horror and turned her back on the beast and started running. The beast screeched and chased after her. The only light she had was the glow of the beast chasing her, but she used whatever she could. She looked around but the area she was in appeared to have no exits causing her heart to sink as she ran into a stone wall. Asagi felt the tears starting to stream from her eyes as she felt the creature inches behind her.

The monster screeched and leapt clawed hands outstretched. The young scientist yelped and fell to the ground taking the fetal position. She clenched her eyes waiting for the monster to bite into her. Only the monster's roars turned into confused screeching as it rammed into the wall. The ground shook from the impact and the sound of falling rocks filled the air along with dust.

Asagi lifted her head lightly coughing from the dust in the air. She gasped when she saw the tail of the beast wildly swing in the hole the wall used to be in. The monster roared again and slammed its entire body out of the wall screeching even louder to the point that Asagi had to cover her ears. She felt her teeth rattling as the beast roars became more high pitched. The patches on the creature's skin turned from blue to a sickly green and its chest began to expand.

Asagi felt her instincts screaming at her to duck again. The monster’s screeching stopped, and it dropped to all fours unleashing a green beam from its maw. Asagi jumped out of the way but was still clipped in the ribs causing her to yell in pain. She hit the ground but still managed to watch as the beam coming from the beast mouth cut through stone as if it were made out of butter. The stone wall crumbled to the ground creating more dust to cover the area. The beast cut off its attack before letting out a screeching roar that echoed as it began scanning the dusty ground.

Asagi crawled across the ground making her way to the opening the monster had created. The beast started sniffing the ground causing Asagi’s breath to quicken. It rose its head crawling toward her while sniffing the ground. It sneezed from the amount of dust and growled, shaking its head. As the beast stopped to clear its nostrils Asagi detoured and made her away to a fallen stone.

She quickly hid behind it and covered her mouth. The monster rose its head again and began looking around kicking away stones as it started to search for her. Asagi held her legs tightly as the beast stomped around. Asagi shook trying to keep her breathing in check. The only way she could tell how close the beast was getting was because of the glowing wall and the clicking of its claws against stone. She flinched each time the beast roared, smashing anything in its way, as it continued to look for her.

‘I have to get out of here.’ Asagi started thinking to herself desperately. The beast roared, smashing another large rock as if it were nothing. Pieces of the boulder landed next to her signaling that her hiding spot was next. She shook at the thought of the monster finding her. She couldn’t tell if it was desperation or just the fact that she lost what little sanity she had left but she reached out grabbing a small rock and threw it as hard as she could away from herself.

It scampered across the ground creating an echo. This stopped the monster from approaching and turn its head in the direction of the noise. It hissed before running in the direction and began tearing that area apart.

Asagi took the opportunity and started running into the opening the monster made with its beam attack. She kept running until something started hitting her face.

‘Air?’ She thought, ‘That means.’

She ran harder when she heard the beast starting to roar again. Hitting a wall again and she felt her heart sink. “No, No, No, please it has to be here I felt it.” She said to herself, feeling the wall. The beast roars continued and sounded like the beast found out it was tricked. “Come on please, where is it?”

She kept trying to feel her way around the wall looking for anything. Her eyes widened when she felt air again. She felt a hole in the wall big enough for her to fit through. She looked over her shoulder and gasped when she saw that the monster was staring at her. It roared and began flapping its wings. Asagi ran into the hole and managed to squeeze herself through. The monster landed in front of the hole and tried to claw its way to her. Asagi moved deeper into the hole as the monster continued to reach for her.

She could see light at the end of the tunnel, but she could feel the hole starting to get tighter. Even worse the creature's roars became higher pitched, and its blue patches became green. Asagi began moving faster as sweat poured down her face. She panted in desperation as she reached out for the light. The beast roars became higher as its chest began to puff out.

“Please, please let me make it.” Asagi was close to the edge and could herself starting to get pressed between the walls as they became thinner. She grit her teeth as she stared at freedom. With a yell the young woman reached her arm out through the other side. She quickly began pulling herself through.

The beast behind her slammed its massive body to the ground and unleashed its beam attack at blinding speed. Asagi cried out as the beam sliced her back. Letting the pain fuel, her need to escape, Asagi broke out of the hole to the other side and fell to the ground. She quickly rose back up huffing from the pain and exhaustion. She looked on the other side and found the beast staring back at her with glowering red eyes. They closed and the blue glow of its body died down leaving only darkness behind.

Asagi watched the hole in the wall until her body finally gave out. She couldn’t stop her heavy breathing as her eyes shook and felt heavy. Pain rushed from her body as she let out a hoarse scream. She struggled to keep her head steady as she looked at her stomach. There were blood stains on her white shirt that were spreading. Her head fell back and was unable to stop her heavy gasp. Her vision started to get hazy.

“Are you really going to give up like that, String Bean?”

“Akane?” She spoke weakly.

“You have to get up, Asagi.”

Asagi gasped back to life rising back up. She looked around the cavern and was shocked to see her friends standing in front of her. Miki had a warm comforting look, while Satomi nodded in approval. Akane was bending down looking Asagi in the eye with an outstretched hand. Aki was behind her with her normal cheerful grin.

“We’re always here for you Asagi.” Aki cheerfully said.

“But that’s only after you pick yourself up.” Akane said, “I thought I taught you that lesson back in middle school?”

Asagi sniffled and started rising back to her feet. She huffed, managing to stand straight. After blinking again, she saw that her friends had disappeared. ‘Was that a dream or a hallucination…. either way.’

“Thanks girls.” She softly said.

She looked around and found that the new area she was in was dimly lit. It was also incredibly warm and wreaked of sulfur. The rocks were warm to the touch just like above ground.

“Be amazed after you get out.” She said to herself, “Wait a minute.”

So caught up in everything she forgot about her phone. She started thinking back to everything that had happened. Meru was taking pictures on her phone and was so focused on the mural she never took pictures herself. She felt her pocket and found her phone quickly pulling it out. The screen was cracked and when she tried turning it on the screen remained dark. The only image was her broken reflection. The broken screen matched her disheveled looks.

Too weak to scream, Asagi simply groaned, letting her head slip down. She raised her hand ready to toss her phone in exasperation but stopped short. “Don’t waste your energy. Just focus on something else.”

She looked at the hole in her shirt poking a finger through it. She ripped it more before tearing the bottom half of her shirt off. With her midriff exposed she managed to get a better look at her wound. The bleeding had stopped. All that was left was a horrible burn that left her ribcage blackened. She touched it with a shaky hand and instantly flinched from the pain. She then touched her back and flinched. It felt the same as her ribs burned with small hints of blood. Although to her surprise it was such a clean cut.

‘Well at least I don’t have to worry about bleeding to death’ She thought to herself, ‘Just have to worry about being eaten by a monster.’

She started looking around, finding that it was lighter ahead. She shrugged, unable to think of a better idea. She made her way to the growing light of the cavern. The more she walked the more her weakness started to disappear. Maybe it was a second round of adrenaline kicking in?

She spotted something ahead, eyes becoming wide. There were large statues standing on both sides of a large, cavernous door. The statues were massive with human forms holding spears only their heads were not human. They were tusked creatures with fierce eyes that pierced her soul. Asagi back peddled for a moment as she stared at the monstrous statues. The young scientist couldn’t take her eyes away from them. She started walking forward again, unable to look away from the statues.

She felt something calling out to her urging her to move past the statues and into the room. The warmth wrapped around her like a comforting blanket. It was like walking into an old home.

‘What is this place?’

She gazed up, finding the ceiling to be endless. She identified the smell and warmth hitting her as the magma oozing from the walls like waterfalls. There were four of the magma falls in total, each branching off and following into a river that led to an even deeper cavern. Asagi gulped, walking toward the cavern needing to know what was below. When she reached the edge, she found that there were steps leading to the bottom. The rivers of magma stopped forming a massive lake and at the center was an island, but her eyes were focused on what sat in the middle of the island.

“Is that a turtle?”

The creature was massive at least eighty meters tall. The creature's shell was enormous and curved in a way that looked like spikes on a flail. Two massive tusks jutted from the beast mouth. The creature was on its hands and knees, its head hung in a way that made Asagi feel pity for the beast. When she looked closer, she found that the creature was covered in hardened ash.

Asagi grabbed her chest, feeling it starting to tighten. She felt something compelling her to walk down the stairs and meet this creature. When she saw its slumped head, Asagi could feel the despair of the monster before her. Like it failed at its purpose. She reached a handout taking a step forward as a word started to flow from her mouth, “Gamera.”

“So, you do remember.” A voice spoke behind her.

Asagi turned quickly and found a familiar sight behind her, “Asakura?!”

Asakura stood with a solemn expression on her face. Asagi felt tears welling up in her eyes and she rushed straight to her teacher. She wrapped herself around Asakura and cried into her chest. She squeezed Asakura tightly and looked at her with tearful eyes, “I…I…I was so s..s..s..scared! Meru….Meru!”

Asakura gently rubbed Asagi, “I know I wish that had not happened. The girl had a bright future.”

“We have to get out of here before that thing comes back!” Asagi said.

“Shh…hush now my child.” Asakura spoke with comforting warmth as held Asagi closer.

Asagi welcomed the hug and buried her head into her teacher’s chest. However, something in the back of her head was cautioning her about this. It was telling her to get away from Asakura quickly. She instead chose to close her eyes and brush the feeling off. This was Asakura, her loving teacher who treated her like a daughter. This was someone she could trust.

“You won’t have to worry about Gyaos anymore.” Asakura whispered into her ear.

Asagi’s eyes snapped open, and she looked at Asakura as her mind started to race, “Why are you calling it that? And how do you already know what happened to Meru?”

Her teary eyes looked at Asakura, who only gave a cold stare.

“Asakura, please tell me what’s going on. Please I’m so scared I…I just want to go home.”

Asakura placed a finger over Asagi’s lips as she closed her eyes and sighed, “Rest my child.”

Asagi’s eyes widened as pain exploded in her gut. She shook in place as she stared at Asakura then looked down at her stomach with shaky eyes. Plunged in her gut was Asakura’s knife. She tried crying out, but her voice cracked. Asakura held her shoulder and kept her gaze on her student, “Please don’t make this harder than it already is,” She plunged the knife deeper causing Asagi to cry out again. Her breaths became quicker as her eyes started to glaze over.

“Believe me when I say this isn’t easy for me. Even though it is the second time we’ve done this. My heart won’t stop breaking.”

“A…Asak..uraaaa….. “ Asagi gasped, she grabbed her teacher, tears falling as she took her last breath.

“This is just a nightmare my sweet child.” Asakura said softly kissing Asagi’s forehead, as the girl's eyes began to slowly close, “When you wake up again this will all be over, and you will be by my side again. In the world we always dreamed of.”

With that Asagi finally collapsed into Asakura’s arms. The woman’s eyes shook as she took heavy breaths. She breathed in deeply and steeled herself. There was still work she needed to do. She looked at the great beast below her. She scowled at it, “This is your fault, beast, but unfortunately, you’re needed to deal with that wretched dragon.”

She pulled her phone out from her pocket, “It’s me. I’ve done my part now it's your turn. Bring Gojira to the surface….Yes….Yes…The girl is the one. Do not fail me.”

With that she hung up the phone and gently cradled Asagi in her arms. Despite her limp body Asakura held the young woman with ease. She started a slow walk to the monster, “If you truly are hope then fulfill your destiny. Bring this world the peace it so desperately craves. Be the darkness that finally allows it to rest. Gamera be the one to lead my army. So commands your great princess Yuna.”

Author's Note:

Happy late Godzilla Day! Didn't get this out when I wanted, and the big guy isn't in this chapter so to make up for it think I'll do a top ten list of my personal favorites. Hope you all enjoy and if you want to tell me your favorite G movies.

10. Godzilla vs Kong: I'm a sucker for big action flicks and the fact this came out on my birthday makes this movie extra special for me.

9. Godzilla vs Gigan: I rented this movie nonstop when I was younger. Seeing Godzilla get back up after having his slashed by Gigan is still one of my favorite moments in Godzilla.

8. Godzilla vs King Ghidorah: The movie that started an obsession every time I watch this movie I go back to when I was a kid seeing a giant dinosaur fighting a three headed dragon.

7. Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019): Now this was everything I ever wanted from a big Hollywood Godzilla movie. I had the biggest smile on face when during Godzilla's call to arms and watching every monster bow was just awesome.

6. The Terror of MechaGodzilla: I really do love the story of this movie. Titanosaur is one of my favorite kaiju in the Showa era. So don't be surprised if I put him in a story. The fights were awesome and gave a cool chance to see Godzilla fight two monsters without any back up. And it gave us one of the coolest entrances in the franchise.

5. Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla: KING CEASAR! CEASAR! KING CEEEEEESARRRRR! Need I say more? Seriously Ceasar is awesome and really wish we got to see more. Also, this movie has an awesome story with alien space monkeys. In some parts it felt like watching a spy movie while in others it felt like watching an alien invasion. Really wish they hadn't done Anguirus so dirty, but I get it was to show that it wasn't the real Godzilla and the threat Mechagodzilla actually was. It was also the first time I ever saw Godzilla get pushed to his limits in a fight.

4. Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla: There is a lot of MechaGodzilla on this list, but this will be the last time he shows up I swear. This movie is just awesome introduced one of my all-time favorite Godzilla suits and Akane became one of favorite human characters in the franchise. (Which is why she's a main character in this story and why I based my character Akiko off of her) Then there's Kiryu who to me is more than just another Mechagodzilla but something else entirely. I actually do feel bad for him considering he's just a tired spirt being forced to fight a member of his own kind.

3. Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster: The introduction of Godzilla's arch enemy the mighty King Ghidorah. A fun plot involving martins and assassins, an awesome battle between Godzilla and Rodan, followed by the first giant monster team up in the franchise. This made for one awesome movie and the start of more giant monster team ups in the franchise.

2. Godzilla vs Biollante: I just love everything about this movie and it's another I would always rent when I saw it at a video store. Biollante is a really cool monster with a fun and slightly tragic origin as well. Also, the introduction to one of this series most loved characters Miki Saegusa. And remember when I said Terror of Mechagodzilla had an awesome Godzilla entrance well they think this movie topped it volcanoes plus classic theme songs equal awesomeness.

1. Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack: The story is really fun and fascinating to me, while giving an interesting take on the G-man. Ghost Godzilla to me is truly a scary Godzilla and also the only one I know whose actually evil. He's the first I've seen to target humans directly and going a bit overkill, I'm mean that lady in the store was kind of annoying, but I don't think she deserved that. Then there's the way he just man handles the guardian monsters. I mean Baragon tried his best, but my God was he out gunned, it was also a good preview for was about to come. Good guy King Ghidorah is weird especially since he was originally going to be Anguirus but I feel like he was handled really well and for the first time I actually was rooting for Ghidorah, even if it was very brief.

Thanks for reading and I hope you all enjoyed.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment