• Published 16th Oct 2021
  • 476 Views, 0 Comments

A Quiet Cry - ALostCarolean



As Applejack hunts for game, she finds something unexpected.

  • ...
 0
 476

Crack!

A Quiet Cry

A gunshot cracks around the forest as a deer falls, wailing. A pant of relief emanated from a mouth behind the barrel of the rifle. It has been too long since Applejack had gotten any game, too long since she had eaten good food. She had always eaten apples as food. But that time has gone now. Tirek caused the farm’s trees to fail. Worryingly, they have not eaten apples for a while. They turned to meat for food, even with Fluttershy’s protests. No matter now, she has a deer to cut.

The snow was falling heavily, hard to breathe in. It was the worst winter in 200 years. The trees had made a make-shift roof over Applejack. Yet, A bright sky was still present. For it was a late January morning. The forest was thick but see-through. Though, Applejack had problems with traversing it.

After a small forest hike, she finally was able to see the poor deer. It was still alive, letting out small moans. Though she couldn't see the bullet entry-point, she needn't. The exit wound was noticeable. About a baseball in diameter, you could even see some intestine. Applejack's face morphed into a grimace. She hated killing animals, killing in general. But she had a job to do. As she got within one meter of the deer, she began to aim the rifle once more.

"May Celestia help your soul," A great wail along with a loud crack came shortly after. The deer's suffering was no more. A ghostly sigh came from Applejack. She had dinner but, it hurt to get it. This deer could have been a mother.

Her Hoof reached to her knife holster. She unholstered a knife to cut the deer into smaller pieces of meat. So it can fit in her bag. As it reached the deer's skin, Applejack hesitated. Arguing with herself, she took some time to think as she forced the knife to penetrate the skin of the deer. She cut the deer into small squares of meat and soon after started putting it into her bag. After she completed getting meat that would last her a fortnight, she packed up and started to return home.

For about an hour, it was quiet. Peaceful even. Applejack took this peace to take a break. She stared into the forests' horizon.

But then the peace came to an abrupt end as a cry hollered out from the trees.

"Holy Hell!" Applejack exclaims in surprise and fear, who would be ready for that? Applejack grabbed her homemade rifle and marched towards the sound's origin as she readies herself for a fight. But as she walks from the tree junction that separated her and it. The struggle she suspected is not what she gets.

Instead, she sees a foal, a colt, a Unicorn, Whomst is about seven years of age. And who appears to be holding a knife. Applejack walks closer, careful not to disturb the colt. But going closer seemed to be a mistake on her part, For she saw two other ponies lying on the snow, red snow, a mare and a stallion, both adult, both dead.

Applejack takes another step towards the colt. Whom turns around with great speed, tears in his eyes. He takes notice of the tall blonde mare standing behind him and begins to sob. "This is it," He said to himself in his head. "My death,"

Applejack drops her rifle and looks towards the colt. He is in pain, lots of it. She sits down on the frost-bite inducing ground as the colt sobs.

"What's your name?" She expected no answer from the colt, as she was a stranger and he, a foal. It would be idiotic in a normal situation, let alone now. After a ten-second wait, she began to rise. But as her legs entered a standing position and to her surprise, he answered.

"Fea-" He coughed up blood "-Feather," Eyes of surprise quickly turned into eyes of terror. Applejack quickly strolled towards Feather. Feather just stood there with his eyes fixed on Applejack. "Feather Fall," he sat down as Applejack desperately looked for any sign of injury. "What is your name?"

Applejack, perplexed at the strength he had, who was crying not thirty seconds ago, almost forgot her name. "Applejack," She answered whilst searching Feather's body for any wound. And if the sudden screams of pain meant something, she found it. She quickly pulled his jacket up, revealing a bloody shirt which she also pulled up. The wound was a stab wound. Blood spilt out at every second.

Applejack raised her head to look at the colt who was back to crying. He had navy blue eyes and a white-washed red coat. And a self-distinguishable face of terror. She looked back at the wound, blood still pouring out like a fountain, it seemed.

Feather suddenly collapsed on the ground. Applejack was quick to catch him before he hit his head. She lied down to let Feather rest his head on her body. It will take a fight to keep him living.

Feather embraced Applejack's torso in a hug. She could feel his heartbeat. Applejack opened her bag, desperately trying to find a bandage. There were none but, there was paper. She took it and put it on his wound. That will slow the bleeding for now.

"Am I going to die?" Feather asked as he slowly began to realize the heart of the situation. Applejack refused to answer as she dropped tears. Feather moaned out in pain. With came blood. His heart was beating faster by the minute.

"Am I going to die?" Feather asked once more. Applejack now turned to look at him directly. Applejack still did not answer but just started tearing up. It was obvious. His breathing became heavy and fast. He would've cried but, he couldn't as he did not have the energy in him anymore.

"Am I, aren't I?" Feather puffed out in a sea of pain and blood. Applejack, Closing her eyes, just nodded in response. Feather dropped his eyes. "I am tired," Applejack forced out a pained smile. "I am scared. I am scared, Appl-" He vomited out bloody chunks and begun to close his eyes.

Applejack's stomach starts to turn as she notices the amount of blood. A ball is building in her throat. She quickly turns her head so that it is not over Feather and pukes. Turning back towards Feather, she starts to sob.

"May Celestia help your soul," Applejack feels his heart slowing down, lungs too. The snow below them has turned a light crimson. And after a short minute, Applejack feels his heart stop, and his lungs let out a last puff of air. He is gone.

Applejack lifts herself from the ground after laying Feather soundly on the snow. She takes a gander towards the two other dead ponies, And nods. She reaches for her rifle and bag. Then swiftly wanders towards Sweet Apple Acres. Along the route, she cries, a quiet cry.

Author's Note:

Greetings!

This is the first story I've completed and released in a while, I know that it's short. And since The Red Dot (honestly, I don't like it) I have improved and I'd love some feedback.

How did you like it?
Was it goodly worded?
What do I need to work on?

Until next time my fellows!

-ALostCarolean

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment