• Published 25th Dec 2020
  • 324 Views, 3 Comments

A Warming, Delightful Gesture - IgnitedSage



After a terrible day of being overwhelm and not enjoying Hearth's Warming season, Twilight comes home that night to find the one friend who can cheer her up

  • ...
1
 3
 324

Season Cheers

Two words can describe the typical holiday season for the village of Ponyville and to an extent, the Friendship Castle that resides on the outskirts of the town, and these words were order and chaos. The winter season had come at last and after an eventful year that would surely go down in the history books, the residents of Ponyville were looking forward to the traditional time of family, friends, and festivities. The short days of the Hearth’s month are regarded as one of the best seasons of the year and the citizens of Ponyville were taking it with enthusiastic gusto. More so this year, for there are rumors from the pegasi community that this winter season was going to be brutal. So everypony was trying their best to prepare, to celebrate, and to enjoy the holidays that were upon them.

It is on one morning around the solstice that one Twilight Sparkle was getting up and hitting the floor running. She got up, washed her face and mane, gathered her supplies, and began her way downstairs. As Twilight was making her way down from her study room that morning, she happened to run into Spike, her faithful assistant, and surrogate brother. Spike was out doing his holiday errands and was preparing himself to go his own separate way. Which it was hard for Twilight Sparkle at first, who was used to his everlasting presence and his assistance. She couldn’t help but relapse into her old habit when they ran into each other.

“Oh, hey Spike” Twilight said when the little drake came out of his room.

“Good morning, Twilight!” Spike replied when he looked up. “How are we doing on this festive day?”

“Well, it's going to be a bit crazy today” Twilight admitted as she pulled out a list.

“How so?” Spike asked but then he soon regretted it as Twilight ramble off from her famous (or infamous) list.

“So, today, we have the school’s pageant at ten in the morning which should run for approximately one hour and fifty-four minutes and give and take twenty seconds, which means that I would have about four minutes to thank the staff and the school foals for their wonderful production. After that, we have to head to Rarity’s place quickly for her unforgettable luncheon. Then we can jump into an afternoon tea with Starlight and Rarity after we supervise the decorations. Once that is taken care of, we can HOPEFULLY get into some afternoon shopping. After that, we can try the ice skating rink. Then we can watch the evening parade, grab some hot chocolate in Sugar Cube Corner, and meet the others at tonight’s bonfire.”

The holiday season was one of the interesting times for Twilight. It was a period of fun yet also the most stressful for the lavender alicorn. No matter how much she plans for any holiday, she somehow has several obligations at once. Spike, and to the extent Twilight’s friends, have learned to love the mare’s remarkable organization skills when she is at her best and tolerate the unfavorable aspects that come with it when she is at her worst.

Spike put his hand on Twilight’s shoulder.

“It will be okay,” he reminded her. “Everything will work out today. Have you forgotten that I’m going to be doing my own things this morning?”

“Oh, right,” Twilight blushed, clearly embarrassed by forgetting such a detail.

“Besides, I will probably meet you at Rarity's lunch,” Spike said as he picked up his small shopping bag. “You should be fine. Just remember to breathe and such. The world wouldn’t end if things don’t go to plan.”

On their way down the main stairs, the two of them ran into the other resident of the Friendship Castle: Starlight Glimmer. The lilac unicorn had a mug full of her favorite coffee as she looked groggily up at the descending figures. Starlight wasn’t in the realm of a morning pony but it gets worse during the winter seasons. She’ll need nearly a gallon of her coffee, tea, or any caffeinated beverages to begin to function on these cold winter days. Twilight and Spike nearly ran into her as they met on the stairs.

“Careful, Starlight!” Twilight warned as she scooted Spike away from the mug of coffee. A small drop came out of the mug which Twilight glared at with annoyance as it hit the floor.

“Oh-h-h-s-sorry g-guys.” Starlight stifled a yawn. “Just got up. Sunburst and I were finishing stuffing our family’s stockings last night. Just can’t get up to function.”

Starlight let out another yawn as a sound echoed out of the kitchen. Twilight turned her ears to the room, her head craning.

“Who is in the kitchen?” she asked.

“Uh, Twilight it’s Pinkie Pie,” Spike told her. “Remember you allowed her to use our kitchen today because the Cake’s were overbooked?”

“That’s today?” Twilight yelped. She went back to her tracking schedule to see if this statement was true. “I could have sworn it is tomorrow or at least later today. I didn’t think she would be here now. How long has she been here?”

“I think since around six this morning” Starlight grumbled. “ I swear she is draining my energy with how fast she’s moving. Going to take my shower and finish my coffee.”

As Starlight headed up the stairs, Twilight went towards the kitchen. She looked in to see that her once pristine kitchen was now completely unrecognizable. Twilight stood on the threshold of her kitchen, afraid to stumble into something delicate. Meanwhile, Pinkie Pie was in the midst of cooking up a storm. The pink mare bounced around between the several stoves and baking stations. Twilight’s entire kitchen was covered in all sorts of pies, cakes, pastries, brownies, jello truffles, puddings, and various other desserts that were towering over each other in unstable structures. And there were various other side dishes and appetizers being made as well such as potatoes, salads, steamed vegetables, loaves of bread, and roasted carrots.

Twilight looked at the bouncing mare with some actual impressiveness.

“Is everything going alright?” Twilight asked her eyes trying to keep track of the pink blur.

“Oh, yes, yes, yes, yes,” Pinkie Pie said as she pulled two large pies out of the oven. “This will be the best dessert for all of Equestria. I got the pies for the Hearth’s Warming Pieation, got the trail mix for the school pageant, and the holiday bags for Fluttershy’s animal friends.”

“Well, that’s remarkable,” Twilight noted.

Twilight made a mental note to give credence to Starlight’s theory. Just watching Pinkie Pie in itself was a challenging task. She was bouncing to each station at record speed, not wasting a single second to finish one food item before moving on to the next. Several times she was balancing a tray of food on her back which almost gave Twilight an anxiety attack every time it looked like she was going to drop it. But each time Pinkie Pie manages to regain her balance and somehow defies gravity by keeping the tray up.

“Hot, oh, that’s very hot!” Pinkie Pie said as she pulled a loaf of bread out of the oven.

“Are you sure you got everything under control?” Twilight asked. “I could find somepony to help you if you need it.”

“No, no need” Pinkie Pie replied, waving her hoof dismissively. “For I am speed! I’m sure everyone else is busy too. Not to worry, though. I’m sure to get everything done for tonight. My system is working out just well.”

Just then one of the pots on the stovetop started to spew out flames.

“Just well” Pinkie Pie giggled nervously.

“Right...” Twilight grabbed her list and watched. She learned a long time ago that Pinkie Pie had her own way of working out things and a method to her madness. It was her system and she knew what she was doing. In all the time Twilight knew Pinkie Pie, she had one explanation for her shenanigans. It was Pinkie Pie, don’t question it. “Well, I’m heading out to do some of my Hearth’s Warming errands.” Twilight informed Pinkie Pie. “If you need anything let me, Spike or Starlight know.”

“Okie dokie lokie” Pinkie Pie smiled and resume her work.

Twilight shook her head in amusement and headed out the kitchen to the front door.

She hoped today she would be able to enjoy the holiday season.


Several hours later and the front door to the Friendship Castle opened. It was in the midst of the night. The sun had long since set and the cold darkness of the winter night had taken its place. Snow flurries began to fall. One of the first in the many snowstorms the pegasi weather team had planned was beginning tonight. A chilly wind rustled into the foyer before the door closed with an audible thud. The figure who entered the castle just leaned back against the door, not bothering to turn on the lights. She just sat on the cold floor, her hoof pressed against her face. Her eyes were shut in order to keep the tears forming inside from getting out. It did not work.

Why, Twilight thought. Why was this so difficult?

The day started out well enough. The holiday pageant went alright and lunch was going okay. Then things took a detour when Applejack came by Rarity’s to ask for her order of ribbons and then had the idea of having Twilight help sort them. Of course, Twilight couldn’t say no. So, she spent time doing that. Then the Mayor needed Twilight to fix some decorations and replace the broken ones. Twilight felt like she had no obligation but was persuaded to help anyway. After she was done with that, she spent some time looking around the vendors for gifts. The only problem is that nothing seems to be right for her friends. So it became two hours of wasted time as she ran back and forth between the two ends of the market.

After that fiasco, Twilight went down to the parade to catch up with her friends but it was so crowded that she couldn’t find them anywhere. And of course, the crowd was eager to wish her happy holidays. By now it had been dark for hours and the day was winding down fast. Twilight did her best to get to the town’s bonfire but was stopped by the Cutie Mark Crusaders who needed help with giving Ponyville their stocking stuffers and were arguing about how to do it. With not much of an option, Twilight helps them by having them see the true power of friendship and delegating responsibilities to each other. So of course, Twilight Sparkle had to guide and help them as they figure out how to work together. By the time that was done and Twilight got to the bonfire, there were few ponies left and none of them were her friends. Everypony was heading home for the night as the snowstorm was about to begin soon.

So Twilight headed back to her home, the stress of the day engulfing her mind. As every minute passed, the more she grew upset and angry. But she kept it together until she reached her seemingly empty home.

Twilight just wishes she can enjoy the holidays as she used to when she was young but it seems those days are long lost. It used to be so simple. Back then she would have fun with Spike when they were young. They would explore the holiday celebrations and traditions together in Canterlot and eventually Ponyville where they eventually got to celebrate with Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Rarity, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash. Each day became a party and it made Twilight happy and feeling blessed. But slowly throughout the years, Twilight began to take on more and more responsibilities every season. And eventually, she had to take up some of the tedious tasks to make sure things run smoothly. But Twilight’s duty as a princess began to cut into her free time. She thought if she could plan it out she would be able to balance both work and fun. However, these past few years were proving her wrong. Every time, the ponies looked to her for help with the hectic holiday season. And Twilight didn’t want to disappoint her friends nor neglect her position.

But mainly Twilight just misses hanging out with her friends and Spike. It didn’t seem that long ago that she had Spike help her and have fun with him while they organize for the holidays. Now Spike went out and had fun without her. Did he know? Did he see the writing on the walls and felt that he needed to have his own plans if he wanted to enjoy the festivities? If so, then it was probably for the best. It became apparent that Twilight couldn’t get a moment to relax.

Just then a noise roused Twilight to open her eyes. Down the entrance foyer was a lone light shining like a beacon in the dark castle. It was coming from the kitchen. She could hear movement shuffling and saw shadows flickering across the floor. Twilight felt herself being drawn to it. She figured who it was but still didn’t expect her to be here this late. She ran into Pinkie Pie several times throughout the day but both of them were too busy to stop and chat. Twilight Sparkle rubbed her eyes to dry them. Well, if Pinkie Pie was still busy then perhaps it would be best to help her. After all, Twilight had obligations to take care of. No sense in wasting time feeling sorry for herself.

Twilight entered her kitchen. The entire place looked like the complete opposite of what it was that morning. Every surface looked shiny and brand new. There were no bits of flour, no sprinkles of sugar, and no pinches of salt left on the counters. The dishes were all set and clean in their rightful place. The stoves looked like they were scrubbed. The floors were swept. And there was not a single bit of food left out. Despite the misgiving that Pinkie Pie’s methods would produce to the casual viewer, the mare knew how to clean up after a long day of cooking.

Pinkie Pie herself was finishing scrubbing the last remaining utensils when Twilight arrived. She was humming a little song and dancing a little jig. It may not seem like there was a difference from her attitude from this morning, but Twilight knew her friend well enough to tell that Pinkie was just as spent as she was. The mare was no longer bouncing or talking fast. She wasn’t trying to juggle fifteen things at once. There were not a bunch of streamers nor balloons or confetti all around her. There wasn’t even party music. It was just a calm Pinkie who was just finishing her day. Twilight felt a twinge of the guilt of not helping Pinkie Pie today. She debated on if she should just leave but Pinkie Pie sensed her, her ears swirling to Twilight.

“Hiya, Twilight!” Pinkie chirped. “Did you have fun today?”

“Uh, yeah. I did” Twilight lied. There was no need to burden Pinkie Pie with her stress.

“Yeah, I’m sure you had tons of fun and had a blast throughout today!” Pinkie Pie replied happily. “Don’t you love this time of year? The snow, the food, the treats, the friends and family! I sort of wish every day was close to Hearth’s Warming Day. That way we can have fun whenever we want. It is such a nice time to be close together. Especially when the nights are dark and full of snow. No sense in being alone during these cold nights. I wonder if the Founders felt the same way when they started Hearth’s Warming?”

“Actually,” Twilight interrupted. “I think there's some debate amongst scholars that the founding of Equestria took place in the Spring but they incorporated an older winter festival that the locals celebrate around the winter solstice before Equestria was founded-”

“Ah, shoot!” Pinkie Pie suddenly said, smacking her forehead. “I forgot to make cookies for the Cake twins for them to leave overnight. I wonder if I can make them quickly.”

Pinkie Pie then zipped to the cabinet and began to rummage through it. Carefully, she pulled out the ingredients needed to make cookies. Flour, sugar, and chocolate from the cupboard. Eggs, butter, and milk from the fridge. She set it all out on the counter in a completely organized fashion within ten seconds flat. Then she pulled out a cookbook from her mane and set it on the higher spot to make it easier for her to read.

“What flavor?” Pinkie Pie muttered, reading from the book. “What flavor? Flavor... Flavor... Flavor… Mhmmm.”

Twilight shuffled her hooves causing Pinkie Pie to look up.

“Hey, Twilight!” she said. “Whatcha think I should make for the Cake Twins?”

“I...I...Well,” Twilight felt like she was being put on the spot and couldn’t answer.

“I know!” Pinkie Pie jumped into the air suddenly. “Why don’t you pick out what type of cookies I should make?”

“I...Well, I can’t really decide, really” Twilight told her.

“Pshaw, it’s easy. Just think what Twilight would want in her cookies.”

“Well,” Twilight began to think it over of what she used to have when she was a filly. “I did like how my mother used to make these mint chocolate cookies that would melt in your mouth. They work so well with milk and hot cocoa.”

“There ya go!” Pinkie Pie grinned, her eyes lit up. She went to the small cabinet again and began shuffling through the foods. “Huh, I can’t seem to find the mints,” she told Twilight. “That’s strange. Usually, I can find food faster than my grandpa can find gems in a rock cave. I wonder where the chocolate mints went too.”

“They are actually right here.” Twilight walked around the cupboard and went to a small cabin above the fridge.

Using her magic telekinesis, she levitated the bag of chocolate mints to Pinkie who was able to take them to her work station. Immediately, Pinkie began working on making her cookies. Twilight felt like she had to step to the side but before she could move, Pinkie asked her to get some cooking sheets. Twilight did so, glad she could help her friend at least once. Twilight then was recruited to help put each ingredient into the mixing bowl. The layout Pinkie had made it simple to put the ingredients together. Was Pinkie always this organized? Pinkie then began to give Twilight tips on how to make sure each item got an even amount of chocolate chips. After they mixed the dough, the two of them put the cookies out on the baking sheet and set them in the oven.

While they had the cookies baking, Twilight and Pinkie began to clean up the brief mess they had made. During this time, Pinkie spouted out tips on various ways of baking that Twilight found fascinating. In return, Twilight began telling Pinkie about her day which eventually led to her semi ranting about the unfortunate stress that came along with it. Twilight kept it lowkey. She didn’t want to seem ungrateful about being important or being relied on. Pinkie didn’t make any comment on the situation. She just nodded her head and gave Twilight several hugs. In the end, Twilight was able to smile as Pinkie began telling her jokes as she informed her on what was going on throughout the day. Somehow, Pinkie got the inside knowledge of what everypony was doing that day.

After the cookies were done, Pinkie put them on the cooling rack to let them cool. During this Twilight had started the turn on the stove to make some hot cocoa. She didn’t know why but she had some hankering to make something warm despite the kitchen already being stuffy. Part of Twilight wanted to go outside and play in the snow but it seems like the outside was mainly cold air and little snow. By the time the snow builds up enough to make a difference, it will be very late in the night. Then Twilight got an idea.

As the milk was warming up, Twilight went to the entrance foyer. She looked up and down the dark room, judging the distance. Pinkie appeared right beside Twilight, curiosity all over her face.

“Whatcha ya doing, Twilight?” Pinkie asked.

“I’m thinking,” Twilight said and then she lit up her horn. “And now I’m doing!”

Twilight released a spell from the depths of her brain. The spell flashed and went across the floor. Suddenly, the cold, crystal floor was covered in a thick layer of ice that went from the entrance to the stairs. The entire floor was now ice.

“Ooooh, pretty” Pinkie let out a gasp.

Twilight smirked. “That’s not all,” she said.

Twilight let out another spark of magic and this time threw it into the ceiling. The spell cast and soon bits of snow began to come down. Twilight then turns on the floor’s lights but not at their highest settings. She set them at a very dim level. Then with a flick of her horn, she switched them to be blue. Within half a minute, Twilight transforms her entrance foyer from a dark, unwelcoming place into a soft, winter wonderland under ambient light. Everything was dazzling. Then Twilight turned to Pinkie.

“Hey, Pinkie,” Twilight began to say as she opened up with a question. “Do you remember that one time when I first came to Ponyville and I had experienced my first Winter Wrap Up?”

“Oh, yeah,” Pinkie Pie said and then started to giggle. “You looked so unsure and lost back then.”

Twilight allowed a small grin to form. Was there really any doubt to Pinkie’s memory?

“Anyway,” Twilight continued. “You said that you have been skating since you were a little bitty filly. Remember that you try to teach me and how that ended up?”

“Yeah, we ended like a snowmare!” Pinkie began to laugh at the memory.

“Well, the one thing I regretted today was a chance to try out the new ice rink they had set up,” Twilight told her. Then she summoned her ice skates with a large poof. “I like to rectify that mistake.” Twilight put on the skates and then faced her pink friend. “Would you like to teach me how to skate once more?”

“Aye Aye, Twilight!” Pinkie said and then pulled out her skates from out of her mane.

Twilight shook her head in amusement. Once Pinkie Pie got her skates on, the two of them began to practice. It admittedly took several tries but soon Twilight was getting the hang of this. This time it had help that she had wings to keep her balance. After a few times going around with Pinkie, Twilight was confident in doing it solo. She did a few spins and turns, fine-tuning her ice blades. There was a part of her that was worrying about what damages and grooves she was making on the floor but she just brushed those thoughts away. She can worry about it later and besides she was sure the ice was thick enough.

Pinkie came back with a tray full of cookies and two mugs of hot chocolate. She kept them well balanced on the top of her back as she slid over to Twilight. Twilight thanked her and then grabbed her mug. She took a sip and the warm drink soothed her. She took comfort in how the warmth built up inside her. Then Pinkie offered her a cookie in which Twilight took a bite. It was just like how her mom made them. The gooey center just melted inside Twilight’s mouth. She swallowed and took pleasure in the aftertaste of the mint. It was very much blissful.

For an uncertain amount of time, Twilight and Pinkie just skate around the room doing nothing but talking and enjoying their sweet treats. It could go on forever but eventually Twilight began to feel the tiredness of the day coming upon her. Eventually, she skated down to the small study room she used to rest and put her hooves up. Pinkie followed.

They took off their skates and set them to the side. The room was dark and drafty but Twilight could easily fix that. She lit the fireplace in the room and put a couple of logs in it. Soon, the fireplace was roaring to life and bathed the entire place with a comfortable warmth. Pinkie returned with another batch of cookies and hot chocolate. By then Twilight plopped down on the couch and pulled a blanket on top of her. Pinkie soon joined her, setting the food on the coffee table in front. Soon the two were snuggling inside the couch. They were doing their best to regain their warmth. For a while Twilight was just staring at the fireplace, watching the embers dance around and listening to the crackling flames. Pinkie put her hoof around her neck and soon joined her friend in watching the flames flickering in the fireplace.

Eventually, Twilight picked up a cookie and looked at it.

“You know, these are the best cookies I have had in a long time,” Twilight said and then took a bite. She then faced Pinkie who was finishing her cookie. “These cookies were never meant for the Cake Twins, were they?”

“Ah silly, Twilight” Pinkie giggled. “Every cookie made is meant for somepony to eat. I always have time to make more anyway.”

“It’s true,” Twilight noted. “You do seem to have a knack for being able to make stuff on the go.”

“Twilight don’t you know it is not the way you make stuff on the way that is important, it is how you go about doing it. If you want to have fun doing things then you just have fun doing it. Then eventually you will have a pattern and will be able to have a blast whenever you like.”

“Yeah,” Twilight said, looking down at the remnants of her hot drink. “Just have to find away.”

“That reminds me!” Pinkie said and then jumped off the couch. And then flashed between multiple rooms. When she came back, Pinkie had a wrapped box with Twilight’s name on it.

“I wanted to give this to you before I leave for my parent’s tomorrow,” Pinkie informed her. “It is a gift I thought you might like. Go ahead and open it! I won’t tell a soul.”

Twilight hesitated but decided to unwrap it anyway. She opened the box and found a neat, little, white crystal that had a pink tint to it. It hummed with the combination of both unicorn and earth pony magic. It looked so pretty.

“Oh my Celestia,” Twilight said as adored the rock. “What is it?”

“It is an Echo Gem,” Pinkie told her. “It is a unique gem imbued with the right amount of properties and enhanced with unicorn magic to allow our voices to be recorded like so.”

Then Pinkie leaned to the rock and tapped it.

“Happy Hearth’s Warming, Twilight!” she said to the rock. “I hope that you are having a fantastic holiday!”

The rock beeped and then said.

“Happy Hearth’s Warming, Twilight! I hope that you are having a fantastic holiday!

“That way if you can’t find us,” Pinkie said as she gave the gem to Twilight. “We can always leave messages for you. So you can always hear us when you need to.”

Twilight blinked back tears. “Th-Thank you, Pinkie,” she said and then embraced her in a hug.

“Awww, it is never a problem helping you Twilight.” Pinkie Pie replied and then hugged her friend back.

After their hug, Twilight resumed watching the burning fire for a bit before turning back to her friend.

“Happy Hearth’s Warming, Pinkie,” she told her.

“Happy Hearth’s Warming to you too, Twilight.” Pinkie said and then they snuggled closer and watched the fire slowly wilted down.


The door to the castle opened again. Two figures slowly and quietly entered the room without trying to make a sound. Which failed epically when one of them let out a yelp and face-planted into the floor when she slipped on the surface. Starlight let out a moan as she recovered, her body slowly moving across the ice.

“Who made the entrance hallway into an ice skating place?” Starlight grumbled.

Spike managed to get a grip on the slippery surface thanks to his claws. He looked to the open door in which he could see the flickering light of flames being emitted. Spike made his way, taking each step carefully to ensure he didn’t fall. Then he peeked inside the small study. There on the couch in front of the fire were the sleeping figures of Pinkie Pie and Twilight Sparkle. Their two bodies snuggling together. Starlight came behind muttering something until Spike shushed her.

Spike then tipped-toe around the piles of books and to the couch. He grabbed the blankets and adjusted them so that was able to cover the two mares evenly. Then he gathered the dirty dishes and headed back, not making a sound the entire time. Starlight muttered something before she levitated her body and headed to her room. Spike just looked back and smiled. He then closed the door and looked up to the blue ceiling that was precipitating a lot of temporary snow on to the entrance.

It was so magical and beautiful.

As it should be for Hearth’s Warming.

Comments ( 3 )

Does this story have anything to do with Codename: Kids Next Door?

This looks cute and funny 😆

Nice and sweet!

Login or register to comment