• Published 6th May 2020
  • 271 Views, 10 Comments

Coconut Punch - MistyShineStar



Berry Punch commits identity fraud and meets Coco Pommel.

  • ...
 10
 271

Berrying the Hatchet

After cleaning the apartment so it was spick and span, Berry gently buried her head under the couch cushions. Muffled screams struggled to escape from them. This situation was VERY frustrating. She thought about her original intent in coming to Manehatten- what was it again?

Oh, right. To have fun.

Which she was doing the opposite of.

How long had it been since she had alcohol, again?

She thought hard. Right. It was the night she decided she was going to leave in the first place. It definitely seemed like a Drunk Berry idea to go on a solo mare's night out to Manehatten using a cop as an escort. Now that she was sort of out of the woods, she was able to look back and realize that it had to be one of the dumbest and least thought out ideas she ever had. She couldn't remember how exactly she would have been inspired to do such a thing. She probably was listening to Rarity brag (the broad always DID think she was better than everypony else) or saw a poster advertising Manehatten or something. When she finished her train of thought, she realized that she had successfully cleaned the entire apartment. It was strange how immersed she could get into something- it was almost like a blackout.

She sat down carefully on the couch and admired the neatness of the place. It was a shithole, but it was a CLEAN shithole, at least. She soon heard the doorknob jangle and open. Coco Pommel walked inside.

"Wow," she said, smiling as she observed the place. "Babs did a great job cleaning up."

Berry frowned. "Babs' asleep. I cleaned up."

"Oh," Coco blushed. "Well, thank you."

Berry felt her throat tighten as Coco went to set her saddlebags on the kitchen table. What did Babs tell her, again? To make her money and leave as soon as possible? Suddenly, real, strong guilt washed completely over Berry for the first time since she was a filly. Her sobriety must have gotten rid of that numb regard she always had towards other people. She realized that she had truly and completely overstayed her welcome. When Coco went into the bedroom and fell asleep, Berry decided to swallow her pride and head home. It was the least she could do after being such a burden. As for the money to get there, she decided she would just have to beg on the street. She felt flashbacks to the small mare in the pink coat as she devised this plan- people in Manehatten didn't take so kindly to beggars, but Coco didn't deserve to deal with an employee like her anymore. She sighed in the darkness of the apartment. She realized that she would actually miss Coco- completely uncharacteristic, considering how little she cared for any other pony she manipulated. She tiptoed toward the door when she heard a voice from behind her in the dark.

"Where are you going?" said a familiar Bronx accent.

"I'm leaving," Berry said simply, turning around to face the filly.

"What?" Babs chuckled. "You're broke, you're stupid, and you're ugly. How the hell are you gonna get home, Missus Punch?"

Berry scowled. "What does me being ugly have to do with anything?"

"Somepony needed to tell you, Missus Punch."

"Stop calling me Mrs. Punch, it's Berry. How old are you, anyway, you little hotshot? I'm going home."

"How do you plan to get the money?"

Berry was silent for a minute, marinating in the stupidity of what she was about to say next. "I'm going to beg on the street."

She expected laughter from Babs but was instead greeted with eerie silence. "No you're not," she finally whispered. "I won't let you."

The fuchsia mare was bewildered. "Wh...you can't tell me what to do, you little scrote! Who do you think you are?"

"Trust me," Babs said. "It's not worth it, okay? Don't be a dipshit."

Berry saw genuine concern for her wellbeing in Babs' eyes for once. Suddenly, she put two and two together. Why else would a filly be paying rent and living with roommates instead of her parents? Babs had to have been homeless at some point.

"Okay," Berry said, not pushing the issue. She could only imagine what Babs would have gone through as a homeless filly in a city like this. "So how do you expect me to make some money, then?"

Babs sighed. "If you want to get home ASAP, you're going to have to ask Coco for some bits. You don't get your first paycheck until a month from now."

"Why don't you spot me the money?"

"Because I actually have rent to pay so I don't end up..." Babs trailed off. "Because I'm somehow more adult than YOU are, Berry. Grow up. Tomorrow, you're asking Coco for the money."

"But it will break her heart."

"Some things are more important than broken hearts," Babs said vaguely. She walked back into the bedroom, leaving Berry to contemplate what she would have to talk to Coco about tomorrow.

She tossed and turned that night fitfully. She dreamed about Coco's disappointed face. She thought of the guilt she would carry when she lost one of the only ponies who had enough patience to be a friend to her. All Berry did was manipulate, use, and lie, and it was coming back to haunt her.

Author's Note:

i have an exam tomorrow SHIT

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment