• Published 29th Apr 2020
  • 287 Views, 4 Comments

Split Personalities - Luyten



Celestia and Luna have always had differences, but this time there are higher stakes at play.

  • ...
 4
 287

Chapter One:

Monochrome clouds hung low over the streets of Canterlot, as if reflecting the mood of denizens below. If one were a meteorologist or perhaps kept track of the weather, they would note that the skies were increasingly overcast despite the pegasi’s best efforts. Ever since the return of Princess Luna, there had been a growing discontent with the Solar Monarch. One possibility was the different approaches to handling diplomatic situations, or perhaps, the lack of handling one such situation.

“I’m telling you that there is simply no way to parley with the Griffons! It will be seen as weak, and they will strike against us!” came the desperate cries of a particular midnight blue alicorn.

Her sister held no doubt that extending an olive branch would benefit both nations greatly. In the past, this approach worked flawlessly. However, with tensions rising between coalitions and allies, friends and enemies; Celestia seemed to be blinded by her own ignorance, while Luna’s straightforward approaches brought an end to discussions quickly.

Celestia didn’t look convinced and continued in a mirthless tone. “Perhaps if a certain sister of mine would think not of the glory of war for once, she would come to the same conclusions.” Luna pondered this for a moment before replying.

“Words on paper and petty insults will only net you so much! What course of action would you take if that fails?” Luna beseeched. “Perhaps you ought to stay your pen in favor of the sword for once.”

Celestia spoke with a calmness that belied her true feelings. “Luna, I know it’s been a long time since you’ve engaged in politics, but perhaps you should be the one to reconsider your choice. Violence does not solve every issue.”

All Luna could do was sigh. A millennium of imprisonment on Equus’ satellite tends to mellow even the most volatile temperaments, yet somehow her sister managed to irk her like no other.

“I pray you are not wrong, sister. However, I cannot afford to tarry on this any longer than I already have. I have duties I must attend to. Farewell.” Luna nodded curtly and promptly disappeared with a rush of displaced air. Celestia sighed through her nose and returned to her quarters.

“What am I going to do about her…”

* * *

Alto was typically an optimistic pony, but he wondered if he’d done anything in a past life to deserve having to stand nightwatch during the coldest, wettest, and least busy month of the year. Luckily, the majority of being on watch was sitting in an office (which was heated) and the occasional patrol to make sure nopony was snooping around. Alto checked his watch and donned his greatcoat before steeling himself against the blistering wind.

Nights on watch always felt like they lasted a year, but Alto would always pick them because he liked the peaceful and usually uneventful shifts. He would sit in the heated office and fight the urge to fall asleep until the top of the hour when he would head out for a short patrol of the docks. Once outside his haven from the winter weather, the stars glittered like so many diamonds against a backdrop of deep blue velvet. The moon was nearly full and cast everything in an ethereal light; though the clouds threatened to cover it up. Alto hoped it would last through the length of his patrol.

Alto went through the bulk of his patrol without anything needing his attention. On his way back to the office, Alto thought he heard the noise of airship sails snapping in the wind, but after a cursory glance at the sky, he dismissed it as being the wind. When the noise happened a second time, he cast his gaze towards the source and was surprised to see a fully laden cargo vessel coming into port.

Once the airship was tied off to the dock, Alto pondered the reason there could be a ship coming in so late. Perhaps they were delayed by a storm?

“Here you go, sir!” The captain said, handing over the log and manifest.

Looking over the documents, Alto noted they simply waited in port until moonrise to set off for Canterlot.

“Captain Merryweather, how come you set off so late for Canterlot? Normally, most ships would like to be sailing in the daytime. Less pirates and all that.”

Captain Merryweather embodied his name in the most literal sense, despite it being so near to midnight, he was full of energy and was nothing if not jovial.

“Ah, most ponies don’t like the nighttime, y’know? However, my crew and I have always held Luna in a special place in our hearts.” Alto felt that there was more to be said, but perhaps the captain was wise to not say it. You didn’t know who you could trust.

Alto relinquished the papers back to Captain Merryweather. “All seems to be in order, Captain, enjoy your stay in Canterlot. May Celestia guide your travels and Luna guard your dreams.”

The captain nodded. “Perhaps more of the latter than the former, but who am I to judge? I’m not a princess!” Chuckling, he walked up the gangplank to his ship, spouting off orders to his crew. Alto shivered from an unexpected cold wind, and couldn’t help but feeling watched and a sense of unease passed over him.

Once he was safe and sound in the heat of his office, Alto hung up his greatcoat, revealing an ashen coat, caramel-colored mane, and average build.

“Alto.”

He froze, not expecting anypony else to be in his office. He turned to face the source of the voice, only to find the Princess of the Night standing before him.

“Princess!” He exclaimed, nearly falling on his face as he bowed as fast as he could. “I wasn’t expecting a visit from you tonight.”

"Of course you weren't, I am here on my own accord." Luna said, motioning for Alto to stand. “I’ve noticed that more and more ships seem to be docking after the sun sets, I was curious to see if there is more to this than just at face value.”

Alto stood awkwardly in front of his desk. “I haven’t noticed too many more ships as of late, but, there was a captain who docked earlier that said he’d fly his airship at night rather than during the day.”

Luna gave a curt nod and a small smile. “It may seem foolish for me to judge one’s character so early, but I deem you and the captain are of similar resolve?”

“I’d say that’s a safe assumption, Princess.”

“In that case, I would like you to compose a roster of ships that dock after the sun sets, with the names of the captains, and rationale for arriving after sunset. I will return in a few nights’ time to see your progress.”

Alto accepted the request, glad to have a distraction from his normal duties.

“Farewell, Alto.”

“Goodbye, Princess Luna.”

Immediately following the departure of the Princess of Dreams, as if on some unknown signal, nearly a dozen airships docked within the hour. Alto hurried to fulfill his duties in a timely manner, referencing each ship’s manifest and cargo hold with what was checked prior to arriving. Once his duties were taken care of, Alto started his compilation of nightly arrivals for the Princess. The majority of the reasons seemed valid enough: from those citing mechanical issues or repairs, to those simply stating they preferred having to deal with less traffic upon arriving. There was one entry that caught him by surprise.

It simply read, “Eventide approaches.”

“That’s not a reason.” Alto thought to himself. “I should probably let the Princess know.” However before he could make another move, one of the bell towers sounded off six times, signalling the end of his shift. Breakfast was more important than a suspicious note anyways, what could happen in twenty minutes?

Comments ( 4 )

Nice Lopoddity profile pic!

10206524
Thank ya kindly, it's one of my favs haha

10206566
Oh shit, I meant to post this on your profile, not the story. My bad fam.

10206655
Lol, no worries

Login or register to comment