• Published 11th May 2012
  • 14,937 Views, 1,928 Comments

Breaking Barriers - chief maximus



Rainbow Dash finally has her chance to try out for the Wonderbolts!

  • ...
45
 1,928
 14,937

12. Deflation

Chapter 12- Deflation

"Alright, nothing to see here ponies!" Rainbow barked, clearing out the crowd and pushing her way to Twilight's mailbox. Taking the rope tethering Mac to land in her mouth, she strode into the treehouse.

"Howdy miss Twilight," Mac said, bumping his head on the top of the doorframe, "Rainbow! Watch where you're pullin' me!"

"C'mon, don't pretend your head can't take it," Rainbow teased, pulling him down to ground level before taking a seat on his back.

"So, uhm... how come this is happenin' to me?"

Twilight looked to Spike, "Can you get me the potions book please?"

"Unabridged, or..." Her glare answered his question for him. "Right," he said before setting off to the appropriate shelf.

"Well, if I had to guess, you've been taking that lightness potion a lot haven't you?"

"Eeyup."

"That may be the culprit, but let me check and make sure," she said as Spike handed her the book on potion abuse symptoms. Flipping through the first few chapters, she landed on the right page. "Here we are."

"Overexposure to a poorly crafted lightness potion, such as the variety needed for earth or unicorn ponies to walk on clouds can lead to symptoms such as autonomous nipple syndrome, achey breaky heart, hungry hungry hipbones, rocky mountain oysterism, wandering eyebrows, but in most cases, extreme lightness."

"What in the... just what in tarnation is rocky mountain oysterism?" Mac asked, his mouth falling open. The shopkeeper certainly hadn't warned him about any of those side effects.

"I think it's best if I don't tell you," Twilight added flatly, closing the book and giving it back to Spike. "Now, unfortunately, the only thing that cures your condition is time. It could be anywhere from four to twenty four hours before you won't float away."

"Four ta twenty four hours? How'm Ah supposed to do my chores if Ah don't weight nothin'?"

"Don't worry Mac, I'll ride you while you work," Rainbow laughed, earning a blush from Twilight and Macintosh. "Not like that! Geez you guys are pervs." she huffed, folding her forelegs across her chest from atop her mount.

"What I would suggest," Twilight said, walking to a desk drawer and opening it with her magic, "is to tie weights onto your yoke until you think you're cured, and to stop drinking lightness potion." She retrieved from the drawer a set of ankle weights normally used for exercise. "Until you get back to the farm, these may help you keep your hooves on the ground. My parents bought them for me, but I never use them."

"I'll say," Spike muttered from across the room, flinching at Twilight's glare.

Mac slipped the four weights around his massive hooves. They barely fit, and were hot pink, but other than that, they seemed to be working. Rainbow cautiously slid down Mac's flanks and onto her hooves, keeping her forelegs pressed against his back, releasing her weight little by little until she settled on all fours.

"Well Ah'll be! Twilight, you're the smartest darn pony in town!" Mac grinned, taking a few cautious steps around the room.

Twilight blushed, "It's no big deal," she giggled softly. "But if you're going to keep visiting Rainbow, you should just use an enchanted item, not potions," she said, retrieving an old costume jewelry necklace that went with one of the many gowns Rarity had made for her. She cast a spell, causing the large turquoise medallion to glow. "There, now as long as you wear this, you can walk on clouds." she smiled proudly.

"Thanks Twilight, Ah'm gonna head back to the farm and help Granny get started on supper," he said heading towards the door before Rainbow called to him.

"Don't make dinner, we're going out tonight."

Mac stopped, turning around slowly. "We are?"

"Yeah, I'll meet you at the farm in a few. Now kick rocks, I need to talk to Twilight for a second."

Mac shrugged. He loved Granny's home cooking, but would never turn down a night out with his Rainbow.

After he left, Twilight could guess what Dash wanted to talk about.

"Still no idea how you're going to tell Mac about this huh?" she said, rubbing her belly.

"Well, I was thinking at dinner, but I want you guys to be there too, so I don't have to repeat myself five times."

Twilight's eyes lit up. She very rarely got to eat out, and when she did, she was restricted to places that also served dragon food. "I'd love to! Just let me check my funds and I'll—"

Rainbow waved a hoof dismissively, "Don't worry about money, everypony is on me."

Twilight was a bit shocked, "Rainbow, I know you're a Wonderbolt now and all, but are you sure you want to pay for seven meals?"

"I got a two million bit signing bonus, I think I can handle it," Dash replied smugly.

Her friend's eyes widened a bit. "T-two million?"

"Yeah," she said, rubbing her foreleg against her chest nonchalantly, "This place need any work done? I've been looking for ways to spend it besides on myself."

"Not that I know of..." Twilight began, though temptation soon crept its way into her mind. "But... the new editions of the Encyclopedia Equestria came out last week, and I don't have near enough bits to—"

"Done. Anything else?"

"No, nothing!" Twilight said, just before another thought came to her, "Well, my mattress is a bit stiff..."

"Got it, and a mattress straight from Cloudsdale. I'll pick you guys up for dinner at eight, okay?"

"Okay, thanks, Rainbow!"

"No prob," she said, turning to leave Twilight's through a window. "Oh, do you think you could have Spike send some letters out to the rest of the girls about tonight?"

"I'd be happy to!" Spike called from his seat on the steps. "So how long have you been pregnant?" he asked, draining the color on Dash's face.

"Spike! What have I told you about eavesdropping?" Twilight snapped.

"I wasn't eavesdropping, I was standing here the whole time!"

"You can't breathe a word of this to anypony, get it?" Rainbow said.

"Don't worry, my lips are sealed, I Pinkie Pie promise." he said, motioning with his claw around his mouth.

Rainbow sighed. "It's just as well, the sooner he finds out, the sooner this can stop being some kind of secret."

With a pump of her wings, she exited the library, leaving a few feathers in her wake. As she flew, she couldn't help but think of the huge announcement she had in store for Mac. Her worry quickly intensified as the red barn of Sweet Apple Acres appeared over the horizon. Rainbow swallowed the lump in her throat as she sped closer to the farm.

Landing softly on the porch, she steeled herself against the reactions that could be waiting for her once she'd delivered the news. She'd gone over every single outcome in her head, from the most likely to the farfetched. Even as she pulled on the door and let herself in, her mind raced with the different possibilities and consequences of her actions, or lack thereof.
What if Granny Smith disowns Mac for getting me pregnant without us being married? What if she forces us to get married, or worse, makes me become an apple farmer!

Before she knew it, she was standing in the living room. Mercifully, none of the Apples seemed to be home. Hearing hoofsteps above her, she decided to check upstairs for AJ or Macintosh. She knew Granny Smith didn't do much stair climbing anymore, and they'd never leave Apple Bloom home alone.

Heading up the steps, she noticed the door to Macintosh's bedroom closed, shadows from beneath it moved under the door. As she approached cautiously, Mac stuck his head out.

"Howdy, Rainbow, it's a little early for supper ain't it?" he asked, figuring she was here to pick him up already.

"Yeah, I'm not here for that," she said, avoiding eye contact and shuffling toward him nervously.

Mac raised a curious eyebrow. "Then what are ya—Oh, Ah get it," he replied with the best sultry grin he could muster.

"Granny and Applejack took Apple Bloom ta Rarity's ta get a costume for the school play this weekend, they won't be back for a few hours..." he said, motioning toward the simple bed with a flannel sheet in the corner. Rainbow's nervousness morphed into anger. Is that all he thinks about?

"Is that all I am to you? Just some pegasus you can call on when you want a piece?" she growled.

"Woah now, you're the one usually initiatin' this kinda thing, Ah just thought Ah'd do it for a change," he said defensively.

"Yeah well that's all we ever do when you come over anyway, we never just talk or anything!" she snapped. She was getting really upset, and even she wasn't sure what brought this on. Perhaps she was just looking for an argument so she wouldn't have to tell Mac the truth about her soon to be extending belly.

"We do just talk, but us 'just talking' always leads to... you know."

"Don't be such a foal Mac, just say it! Sex! It leads to sex!" she shouted. Mac looked around nervously, as if somepony would hear them, even though he knew full well the house was empty. He was sharper than he was given credit, realizing that this wasn't the normal Rainbow he'd fallen for.

"Why are you yelling?"

"Because...!" she began, faltering after her initial word. "Because I've got something I need to tell you."

Mac's expression softened, drawing a hoof around her shoulder, her led her to his bed, both of them taking a seat on the edge.

"What is it?" he asked earnestly, though Rainbow still couldn't look him in the eyes.

C'mon Rainbow, he deserves to know! Remember what Twilight said?

Dash took a deep breath, and finally met his gaze with her own. He took her hooves in his own and whispered, "You can tell me."

"I..." Rainbow sighed, "I... have Wonderbolts practice in a few days, so I'm gonna be gone for a while. I was just worried you'd... I don't know, find somepony else."

You coward.

Mac smiled, before kissing her forehead gently. "You think Ah'd find somepony else just cause you'd be gone for a few weeks?"

"I know it's stupid, but, I just heard that long distance relationships don't usually work, and I... just didn't want it to happen to us." she lied. She was quite thankful she was better at lying than AJ.

"You know Ah'd never let that happen. Ah love you, Rainbow," he whispered, pulling her into a hug.

Those words should have meant the world to her. They should have told her that he would never betray her trust, and always be there for her whether she was a Wonderbolt, or a simple weather manager. Instead, they stung her heart like angry hornets. He was honest with her, and she willingly lied to him. She didn't deserve a stallion like him.

"I love you too, Mac."

She stood from his hug, wiping her eyes with her hoof. "I'm gonna go get ready for dinner, the girls are coming with us, so we'll be riding to Canterlot in a limo."

"A limo? To Canterlot?" he asked surprised.

"Yeah, I got a two million bit signing bonus to the Wonderbolts. I'm kinda rich," she added nonchalantly.

"Y-you are?"

"Yeah. Be ready by eight, okay?" she added, giving him a quick kiss on the lips before leaving, her smile hiding the shame she felt for having chickened out of telling Mac her news.

The hours flew by as Rainbow sat alone in her room with Tank, thinking about her earlier cowardice. Sitting against her headboard with her knees to her chest, she slowly rubbed her eyes. There was no reason for her to be afraid of Mac's reaction. He even said he loved her! If that wasn't proof of his devotion, nothing—in her mind—was.

She glanced to her right, Tank slowly making his way toward her from the other side of her bed. "I bet you've never had this problem," she sighed, Tank simply giving her his ever-present smile. "Yeah, I figured."


Dash looked to the clock. It was nearly eight. She had already arranged the ride, and it would be at her place in a few minutes. A knock at the door let her know it was time. She put on a brave face, determined not to let her own shortcomings ruin what may be one of the few nights out she gets with her friends and stallion.

After setting out food and water for Tank, she climbed into the stretch chariot, a team of four buff pegasi stallions pulled the car, while one drove from the front. The interior was lavish. Two bottles of chilled champagne, a small snack bar, even two chandeliers managed to fit hanging from the roof, while not taking up too much space.

The driver was smooth, Rainbow not even noticing they had been moving until the cab stopped at Sweet Apple Acres. Though she tried, Rainbow had been far too pre-occupied with the events of hours before to appreciate all that her newfound wealth could buy her. The door opened, as Macintosh climbed inside.

"Wow..." he gasped, having never seen anything this opulent before. "Rainbow, this must've cost a fortune!" he said, Applejack sliding in behind him.

"Lordy, this must be how the princesses travel!" she said in much the same manner as her brother.

"Yeah, it's pretty nice huh?" Dash chuckled at her friends reactions. "I may not see you guys all that often when I'm practicing, so I thought we could all go out together before things get busy."

After AJ and Big Mac, Twilight, Fluttershy, Pinkie and Rarity all climbed in at their respective stops, and expressed similar sentiments.

"Now Rainbow, where exactly are we eating?" Rarity asked, pouring herself a glass of champaign.

"I dunno, some place Spitfire recommended, La jument ele-something."

Rarity gasped, her eyes widening, "La Jument Elegante? Oh I'm criminally underdressed for such a place! I heard you had to have reservations months in advance to even get a table!"

"Nah, they save a whole section for Wonderbolts and their guests, I just had to tell them I was coming and how many ponies I was bringing." Dash replied, looking somewhat bored by the whole ordeal. Twilight sensed there was something wrong with her, but couldn't place her hoof on what. She knew Rainbow loved to eat, and this restaurant had never received a bad review. It was even rumored that the princesses themselves ordered take-away from this restaurant, exclusively, and had done so for the last five hundred years.

As they arrived, Twilight stowed her misgivings as the door to the limo opened via the doorpony.

With the opening of the door, a flood of camera flashes filled the cab. One by one, the Elements of Harmony filed out, assaulted by the flashbulbs of the paparazzi. Most of them hid their eyes from the blinding light, with the exception of Rarity.
She nearly had to be dragged into the building as the marble in the opulent restaurant lobby shone brightly beneath the massive chandelier hanging below a mural depicting the two princesses during the moment of creation.

Soft violin music filled the air as Rainbow and Mac approached the front desk. "Reservation for Rainbow Dash."

"Ah, oui madame, ze Wonderbolt section iz zis way," the maitre d' said, his thick fancy accent and pencil thin mustache leading the way. The Elements and Mac followed him to a private corner, where none other than Spitfire and Soarin sat, enjoying a few drinks. In such a high-society environment, they looked just as out of place as the unclothed ponies entering the section.

After they had all taken a seat at their table, each took a look at the menu. Except Rarity, who continued to prattle on about the decor, and how she couldn't believe they had let them in without the proper attire.

"This place is fancy, Ah feel like Ah'm wastin' a fortune just breathin' this air," Macintosh whispered, earning a giggle from Rainbow.

"Yeah, this isn't really my kind of place, but Spitfire said the food was amazing here," she replied as their waiter approached the large round table with a bottle of wine.

"Madames and Monsieur, a vintage bottle of Chateau de Stallion from 1671," he said, floating the bottle in front of him, presenting it to the table.

"Thanks, but we didn't order any wine," Rainbow said.

"Yes Madame, it is compliments of the lovely Miss Spitfire," he explained, motioning a hoof to the table where Spitfire and Soarin were sitting. Rainbow's captain gave a wave, as did her companion.

"Oh, uh... thanks."

The waiter went around, filling each wine glass with a bit of the expensive liquid, before Rainbow waved him off. "None for me, thanks."

"Very well madame, may I bring you something else from the cellar?"

"A water would be great."

With a curt nod, the waiter departed, leaving the wine to chill in a bucket beside the table.

"My goodness Rainbow, this wine is exquisite!" Rarity gasped, taking her first sip.

"Ah dunno, it ain't no apple cider, that's for sure." Applejack replied, grimacing after she took her first sip.

"Ah gotta go with Applejack on this'n," Mac agreed.

"Yeah, just look at all these ponies. All dressed up and proper. Why would anypony wanna eat someplace that's so... stiff?" Rainbow asked, earning shrugs from everypony but Rarity.

"Some ponies just prefer class over stuffing their faces at a buffet." Rarity added snidely.

Ordinarily, Rainbow would have been up for a fight, arguing with Rarity was one of the most fun things Rainbow could do on a rainy day. Now, however, an overwhelming sense of apathy kept her from calling all this high society junk stupid. She simply slouched back against her chair, resting her hoof against her cheek.

"Yeah, I guess," Rainbow replied. This seemed more shocking to her friends than the free bottle of thousand bit wine.

"Uh... Rainbow, are you feeling okay?" Twilight asked, muscling down another sip of her wine. "Don't you want to tell Rarity how wrong she is, or... anything?"

"Nah," she yawned, looking down at the perfect whiteness of her empty plate.

"So Rook, you too good for wine?" A voice from behind her said. Turning in her high backed chair, she saw Spitfire and Soarin had wandered over from their table.

"Oh, uhm... it's not that, I'm just..." she knew she had to think of a good reason why she wasn't drinking. "I'm still recovering from the initiation party." she smiled, her cheeks flushing a bit as she lied to her boss.

"Ah, yeah they can be a bit intense," Spitfire replied, casting a glance at Fluttershy. "Hey, aren't you that supermodel?"

"Oh! Uhm... no, I used to be a model, but that was before I... uhm... quit."

Spitfire raised an eyebrow in confusion. "You, quit being a supermodel?" she asked, before stomping a hoof on the floor. "Wait a sec, I remember you now! We were at Photo's after-party, and you said you'd never tasted tequila before! Remember how much fun you had?"

All eyes were on Fluttershy as she shrank behind her curtain of pink hair, her cheeks a furious red.

"Uhm... not really, I'd rather not... talk about it."

Spitfire chuckled, "I don't blame you, I've never seen anypony swing from a chandelier like that!"

"Oh dear..." Fluttershy put her hoof to her forehead in shame as Spitfire got the hint.

Soarin, however, remembered a different pony. "Applejack, I have gone too long without tasting some of that sweet pie of yours." he grinned devilishly, as Applejack blushed about as much as Fluttershy.

"Shucks, you know where ta find it. Ah'm always out there on the farm," she said softly, meeting his eyes briefly.

"Well I think I'm a bit overdue for some... Apple."

Big Macintosh cleared his throat rather loudly. Soarin took the hint.

"Good to see you too Mac," Soarin said, stepping away from Applejack. "I'm sure we'll all see each other through Rook. The first show of the season is in Ponyville, you know. We'll be sure you all get good seats."

"Okay, we'll see you guys later. Rainbow, the first practice is next week at five a.m. in Cloudsdale. Don't be late!" Spitfire said as she and Soarin left the restaurant.

The waiter reappeared and took their orders, and in no time at all, their food was brought out. Everypony at the table agreed it was far and away, the best food they had ever tasted. Amazing couldn't begin to describe it. As the euphoria of the meal wound down, Twilight had become acutely aware of an announcement Rainbow was failing to make.

"So Rainbow, is there a special occasion we're here celebrating?" she politely hinted.

Rainbow sighed. "Nope. Just here because I might not get to see you guys very often once the season starts."

Twilight's polite smile deflated. "So there's no life changing event you want to let us in on?" she persisted.

"Nope," she replied flatly, taking another bite of her sauteed squash.

Twilight surrendered, somewhat surprised by her friend's hesitance to say what Twilight thought they had confirmed she would.

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom," Rainbow said, getting up from the table.

"Me too!" Twilight echoed, standing up from her chair and following her friend.

Once they had entered the bathroom, Rainbow stared her down. "So go ahead. Tell me how I should tell all our friends how Mac knocked me up," she snapped bitterly.

"Rainbow, I didn't come in here to berate you, I just thought you wanted us all to know."

Dash sighed, propping her forelegs on the marble countertop in the bathroom and looking at herself in the mirror.

"I do want you all to know... I'm just not sure if I want Mac to know."

Twilight was more than a bit surprised by this admission.

"So you want your friends to know, but not the father of the foal?"

"I knew you wouldn't understand, you aren't the one with a thing growing inside you," Rainbow lamented, still staring into her own reflection.

"It's not a thing, it's a foal. Yours and Mac's foal. Why on Earth would you not want him to know?"

"Because!" Rainbow snapped, hating the fact that they were having this conversation for a second time. "I'm afraid of what he'll say."

"Afraid? What do you think he's going to say?" Twilight asked.

"I don't know... that's the scary part."

"Rainbow," Twilight began, but soon realized she was out of explanations. Truly, she had no idea what being in Rainbow's horseshoes would be like. "Okay, do what you think is best. I won't tell anypony, I promise."

Dash scoffed, "You know, part of me wished you'd just force me to tell everypony."

"I can't force you to do anything. If you're not strong or brave enough to tell your friends, then there's nothing I can do about it." Twilight smiled, leaving the bathroom and knowing her last ditch effort of back-hoofedly calling Rainbow a coward might just work.

She returned to the table, followed shortly by Rainbow. The check came, and without incident, Rainbow paid it and left. Twilight was quite sour during the limo ride home, a queue Pinkie was quick to pick up on.

"What's the matter Twilight? That fancy food give you indigestion?"

"No Pinkie," she cast a glare at Rainbow, who cast one right back. "Something else did."

"Oh! Was it those hard rolls? I didn't think they looked very good."

The limo dropped off everypony at their house before taking Mac and Applejack home. Rainbow decided this was her stop, and disembarked with the Apples.

Sensing something was amiss, Mac told AJ to go inside without him.

"What's the matter with you?" he asked astutely, his ankle weights still safely securing him to the ground.

"It's... I have something I need to tell you. I was supposed to do it at dinner, in front of everypony, but... I chickened out."

Mac eyebrows furrowed in concern. Rainbow was usually the most open and honest mare he knew besides his sister. "Okay, do you want to tell me now?"

"Yeah," she sighed. Rainbow's heart was pounding in her chest as she began to sweat. She looked into his sharp green eyes, the moon reflected brightly in them, illuminating the freckled face and messy mane she'd fallen for in the first place.

"Mac," she began, cutting her eyes away from him. It seemed looking him in the eyes made it that much harder.

"I... I'm..."

Say it Rainbow! Twilight is right, he deserves to know! Just one more word!

"Pregnant."

Mac's eyebrows raised slightly, as though he'd just seen a ghost.

"Pregnant, like... with a foal?"

"No, with an alien!" Rainbow snapped. Sometimes her beau could be a bit thick.

His shock soon morphed into a grin, his teeth shining against the moonlight.

"That's great, Rainbow!" he shouted, hugging her tightly as tears of relief streamed down her face and onto his shoulders.

"Ah can't believe it, Ah'm... Ah'm gonna be a Daddy!" he cried happily, swinging the mother of his foal around as he stood on his hind legs. "Now we can get married! Oh, Granny and Applejack are gonna be so happy when they hear the news!"

Rainbow pulled herself away from Mac's embrace. "M-married?"

"Well, yeah! You think Ah'd not marry you after you're havin' my foal?"

Rainbow's eyes darted from her hooves to Mac's face. Something about that word made her uneasy.

"Ah know this is just a formality by this point, but, Rainbow Dash, will you marry me?"

Rainbow looked at the kneeling stallion before her. Was this what she wanted? Was he, what she wanted?

She didn't have an answer for any of those questions, and that scared her more than any thunderstorm or hurricane ever could.

"I... I, have to go!" she stammered, taking flight back to her house, leaving a dumbstruck Macintosh in her wake.

"Rainbow?" he called weakly. He got to his hooves, and went inside the house. Applejack had already turned in, and the living room was dark. He held back his feelings until he reached his bedroom door. Hurrying inside, he removed his yoke, laid down on his bed, and did something he hadn't done since his parents passing many years ago.

He cried.