• Published 11th May 2012
  • 14,930 Views, 1,928 Comments

Breaking Barriers - chief maximus



Rainbow Dash finally has her chance to try out for the Wonderbolts!

  • ...
45
 1,928
 14,930

4. Confessions of a Ponyville Veterinarian

Chapter 4- Confessions of a Ponyville Veterinarian

Macintosh waited beneath the floating home of his marefriend in the pre-dawn air. In fact, it was still dark when he arrived, but he knew Rainbow would be getting ready to leave for her tryouts soon. He hadn't had a chance to attend her good luck party, but he still wanted to make sure he saw her before she left. He tucked his thick legs beneath him as he waited patiently on the grass, his coat collecting the dew off the blades.

Soon after, he heard Rainbow's front door close, spying her multicolored mane from the ground.

"Rainbow!" he called to her as she fluttered down to him.

"Hey, Big!" she said happily, Mac standing to greet her. "Came to see me off, huh?"

"Eeyup."

She smiled and nuzzled him gently, which he returned.

"Are ya nervous?"

Rainbow shot him a skeptical look. "Are you kidding? This is me we're talking about here."

Mac chuckled. If she wasn't as confident as she looked, she was an expert at concealing it.

"Ah know, Ah just wanted ta make sure."

"Thanks for the concern Mac, but I'll be fine."

He smiled. Her mane was wet from the shower, clinging tightly around her face and neck as her eyes somehow shone with excitement, even in the darkness. She leaned up, rearing back on her hind legs, raising herself to Mac's height and planting a deep kiss on his lips. It would be probably be the last time she would have time to see him once tryouts began, as she'd be gone all day, and back late at night.

After a bit of tongue wrestling, they broke the kiss, and she settled back onto her hooves. Dash noticed Mac was wearing a saddlebag, with a certain familiar doll haphazardly stuffed inside.

"I see I have some competition," Rainbow chuckled.

Mac pushed the doll deeper into the bag and secured the flap.

"Nothin' for you ta worry about."

She shook her head, laughing. "I better get going. Don’t try anything while I’m away."

Macintosh poked her in the ribs. “Jealous, are ya?”

Both shared a quiet chuckle. “Go on,” he finally said. “We’ll be waiting to hear from ya.” They hugged one last time before Rainbow took off toward the capital of the old Pegasi Empire.

Mac watched her go, his mind now shifted back towards his work: specifically the fact that he had already done most of it, leaving him time for an errand he had been meaning to run for a few weeks now.

Leaving the field behind, he set off toward a small cottage at the edge of the Everfree forest.


Fluttershy stirred from her slumber. Rubbing the sleep from her eyes, she sat up in bed, surveying her room warily. She could have sworn she heard a knock at the door. The stray beams of the rising sun shone through her curtains as her songbird friends began to serenade the morning.

Thinking the knocks were just her imagination, she laid her head back down on her pillow, attempting to will her morning wings away.

Another knock confirmed her earlier suspicions as she sat up and looked toward the door.

"Who could that be at this hour?" she wondered aloud, throwing the blankets off herself and putting on her robe to conceal her embarrassing wing situation. Thinking it to be a Ponyville resident with a squirrel problem or having found an injured animal, she opened the door, only to reveal a large red stallion nearly blocking out the sun with his form.

Fluttershy's cheeks lit afire as she recognized the stallion before her.

"Mornin' Ms. Fluttershy," Big Macintosh said cordially. "Sorry Ah came by so early, but Ah figured you'd be able to do me a favor... if ya didn't mind." he fidgeted sheepishly.

"Oh... of course not. P-Please, come in," she stuttered, stepping back from the door to give Mac room to enter.

He had been to Fluttershy's house before, taking some of the cattle or pigs to her when they got sick. It was a working relationship, but he still found himself enjoying her company whenever he would visit. He used to have a bit of a crush on her, and Twilight as well, but with his work taking up most of his time, wistful thinking was all that ever came of his feelings. Until the cattle drive with Rainbow, anyway.

Sure, it seemed like he was attracted to quite a few of his sister's friends, but how could anypony blame him? He was the most eligible bachelor in town. It may have been a small, hole-in-the-wall town, but a town nonetheless.

"So... uhm, what was it you needed, Macintosh?" she asked timidly, taking a seat on her couch, fidgeting nervously with her mane.

"Well, Ah heard that you were pretty good with a needle and thread, and Ah didn't want ta bother Ms. Rarity for a favor."

"Oh. Yes, Rarity has been busy filling orders lately," she answered, blushing at his compliment.

"Anyway, Ah'd like ya to fix up my friend here," he said, producing Smarty Pants from his bag. Fluttershy recognized it as Twilight's doll from the time she went... a bit off balance, let's say.

"Twilight's doll?" she asked, taking it and placing it on her kitchen table. "Where did you get this?"

"Ah... it's a bit embarrassing," he began, unsure of whether or not he should reveal his original plan.

"Oh, you don't have to worry, your secret's safe with me," she assured, heading up stairs to retrieve her small sewing kit.

Macintosh knew that if anypony had tight lips, it was her. Well, Ah suppose there's no harm in it.

"It was originally just an excuse to talk to somepony," he said softly, as hope began to rise in Fluttershy's heart.

She smiled to herself from upstairs. "Really?"

Her heart was in her throat as she convinced herself that this was the perfect opportunity to tell Mac how she felt about him.

"Eeyup. Ah'm looking to give Twilight her doll back, Ah don't think she knows Ah have it."

"Uh huh," she added, "Mac, do you remember when I came by Rainbow's early in the morning, a few weeks ago?"

"Eeyup." He nodded, taking a seat on the couch she had been sitting on.

"Well, I went to her to get a little... confidence, to tell you something that's been on my mind f-for a while," she began faltering, as huge red flags began to raise in Mac's mind. He knew where this was going, and he was not happy about the answer he was about to give. He didn't want to hurt her, she was the sweetest pony around, and he couldn't stand to hurt somepony's feelings on purpose, but...

"What is it?" he asked cautiously, praying that maybe she just had an unusual favor to ask of him, and not what he was thinking she was about to lay on him.

"I... uhm... I..." she stammered nervously. Her tongue seemed to tie itself into knots as she reminded herself of what Rainbow had said. She deserved a pony like Mac, and there was still a shot (in her mind) that he could feel the same way!

C'mon Fluttershy! You don't want to wonder what could have been, do you?

She looked Mac straight in the eye and came out with her feelings.

"I like you, Mac, as... more than just a friend," she said, that one sentence seeming to take an eternity to leave her lips.

Oh no. Mac sighed internally, Let her down easy.

Macintosh blushed, looking away from her as he scratched his neck nervously, trying to hide how uncomfortable he felt.

"Ah... Uh..." he glanced back at her. It was clear, her heart was in his hooves. He would try his hardest not to break it.

"Here's the thing, Ah'm... kind of already seeing somepony," he said softly, but no matter how much sugar he tried to coat his rejection, it was clear that the timid pegasus was deeply embarrassed and humiliated.

"It's not that Ah don't think you aren't pretty or anything. You are! Ah actually had a crush on you for quite a while!" he admitted, trying to say anything to keep Fluttershy from hating him completely.

She was speechless. She had put her heart on the line, only to have it returned. The room began to blur slightly, and she scrubbed at her eyes, only to find her cheeks wet.

"Ah'm sorry Fluttershy..." Macintosh said softly, out of things to say to try and comfort her. The awkwardness of their silence was overwhelming.

"No... it's okay... I had my s-shot," she said, lip trembling as she blinked a hard flush of tears from her eyes.

Mac sighed, he felt guilty as sin, though he truthfully had no reason to be. He had told her the truth! Unfortunately, as is often the case, the truth hurts.

Ah don't think Ah've ever felt more uncomfortable.

"Who is it?" Fluttershy asked, seemingly out of nowhere.

Ah stand corrected.

"Uhm... it's..." he paused. Rainbow and Mac hadn't told anypony about their relationship. He suspected AJ knew something was up, but she kept her mouth shut, knowing it wasn't her place to go spreading her brother's or her friend's personal life around town. Still, if she was hurt now, he imagined she'd be crushed if she knew it was her best friend and confidant he was seeing. Still, he wasn't a liar, and wasn't about to become one now.

"Rainbow Dash," he answered softly, nearly cringing in anticipation of her response.

She was silent. The tears had even managed to stop. After another awkward moment, Mac decided it was best if he took his leave.

"Well, Ah'm gonna get goin'. Thanks again for fixing Twilight's doll for me," he said weakly.

"You're welcome. I'll have it done by tomorrow," she said in an emotionless tone as she fluttered quickly upstairs and shut her bedroom door, leaving Mac downstairs.

From beyond her door, Mac could hear sobbing.

Well now look what you did... he thought as he left Fluttershy's cottage.

He sighed heavily as he walked back toward the farm. It wasn't his fault he and Rainbow were an item! Why should he feel guilty about that?

Still, his guilt weighed heavily on his shoulders like so many familiar barrels of apple cider. He decided then and there that he would do something to make it up to Fluttershy. Though what that something would be, he hadn't the slightest. As he walked, he realized who might be able to tell him how to make her smile again.

Twilight.


Fluttershy's tears soaked into her pillow, wetting her mane as Angel hopped up onto her bed, trying to make her feel better.

Betrayal, anguish, loneliness, all types of feelings swarmed in her heart as she felt like doing nothing but crying. She rolled over onto her side, facing angel as he flicked the tears away from her eyes.

"How could Rainbow d-do this to m-me?" she sobbed to her pet rabbit. "I thought she was my friend."

Angel gave her a deadpan stare and folded his arms.

"I guess I should have told her I had a crush on Big Macintosh..." she admitted. The only pony that knew about her little crush was Twilight, and that was only because she had accidentally told her.

Angel held up a picture from her nightstand, one of Rainbow Dash and herself when they were fillies at flight school, shortly after they got their cutie marks.

She took it from Angel and held it close. She wasn't mad at Rainbow; how could she be? Mac liked her, and she like Mac, plain and simple. Still, she couldn't help but cry, wondering when it would be her turn to find somepony who loved her, and wanted to be with her, take her out to nice dinners, and romantic sunset picnics. When she was a model, she had all kinds of suitors come calling, but most were only interested in her because of her fame. As soon as she removed herself from the limelight, the flowers and letters stopped, and soon she was back to being the town veterinarian.

Fluttershy took Angel in her forelegs and nuzzled him close, silently crying as she fell back into a early morning slumber.


Mac knocked on the door at the base of the tree Twilight called home. After a few moments, Spike answered the door.

"Hey, Big Mac!" he answered happily, wearing his pink frilly apron. "Need a book?"

"Nope," he answered, "Ah'm looking for Twilight. Is she around?"

Spike stepped aside to let him in. "She's in her room, I'll go get her," he said hopping up the stairs to her bedroom.

Mac sat down on her couch as Twilight came down the stairs. "Hello, Mac! Something I can help you with?" she asked hopefully.

"Yeah, Ah just came from Fluttershy's cottage."

Twilight thought that was a touch odd to be brought up unprovoked, but decided to keep probing.

"Okay..." she said, unsure of where this was going before she remembered her timid friend's crush.

"Well, she told me she's had a crush on me for some time," he said, in a tone a stallion being told he was wanted by a mare as pretty as Fluttershy shouldn't have used. She deduced exactly what had happened.

"You... don't like her that way?" she asked, honestly feeling the two of them would be cute together.

"It's not that, Ah think she's a beautiful mare, and she deserves somepony special... just not me," he answered, a touch of guilt still in his voice. Twilight poured herself a cup of tea before sitting down on the couch beside him.

"If you don't mind my asking... why not you?"

Twice in two hours? Well Rainbow, looks like we won't be a secret for much longer...

Mac sighed before answering. "Because... uh... Rainbow and Ah are kind of... with each other."

Twilight's eyes lit up as she sipped her tea, always happy to hear about a friend finding a special somepony.

"But that's not why Ah stopped by," he added quickly. "Ah wanted to know if you knew any way Ah could make it up to her. Ah let her down as softly as Ah could... but she still seemed pretty upset," he admitted.

"Well, she is a bit more sensitive to her feelings than most," Twilight said, taking another sip of tea. "But I do know of a way you could get on better terms with her," she said happily. "The chicken coop in her yard is on its last leg, she could certainly used a repair-stallion's assistance to fix it up. That, and I suggest you bring her some chocolate."

The first part made sense, but the second part seemed a bit off.

"Ah get the chicken coop, but why the chocolate?" he asked.

Twilight laughed, thinking surely Mac of all ponies would know the way to mend a mare's broken heart.

"C'mon Mac, she's a mare isn't she? There's no problem in this world that can't be made better through chocolate," she explained.

"Ah, right, Ah knew that," he grinned, getting up to head back to the farm.

"Thank ya kindly for the help Ms. Twilight," he said striding towards the door before pausing. "If ya don't mind my askin', how did you come ta know so much about mares? You don't have a big sister you've never told us about, do ya?"

Twilight rolled her eyes, "No, I happen to be a mare, in case you forgot," she growled indignantly. She may have been a bookworm, but that didn't mean she enjoyed being viewed as ambiguous by a member of the opposite sex.

"Well, that explains it... Ah appreciate the help Twilight. Have a good one."

Twilight's expression softened, knowing he meant well. "You too Mac, good luck."