• Published 27th Feb 2020
  • 4,427 Views, 207 Comments

Light and Dark: Road to Redemption - MXCDarkHorse2020



Twilight Sparkle, now the Princess of Friendship, focuses on proving to everypony through the adventures of Season 5 of Friendship is Magic onwards that she truly has redeemed herself for her past actions as Midnight Sparkle.

  • ...
9
 207
 4,427

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 57: Marks for Effort

Chapter 57:

Marks for Effort

In the following months since opening up her school, her students are shown to be all having a nice time learning her classes. During a few of her friends classes, Pinkie is happily handing cupcakes to her students in her class, Fluttershy is introducing the students to a flock of butterflies flying around in the sky formed together in a heart shape to which Silverstream to eager interest in flying with them, and Applejack is teaching teamwork during a buckball lesson.

Aside from having to discipline Applejack and Rainbow for being too competitive in their pursuit of the Teacher of the Month award to which Fluttershy has won all nine months since the school opened up by suspending their teaching privileges for a month and having to tend to Spike who was fortunately going through puberty, grew a little along with gaining a pair of wings, the School of Friendship is running smoothly.

During some of her spare time, Twilight checked up on Tartarus from her orb and so far has found that Midnight and the others are up to nothing. However, given that they all have been doing nothing but chatting amongst each together every time she’s spied on them, earns suspicion from the young alicorn that something is up with them and off with their interactions and that they may have escaped and are working together.

Twilight is now currently preparing to teach her class with Spike with her to assist her in any way he can help her as she prepares to begin her presentation.

“Good morning, class.” Twilight greeted her students. “Today, we're going to learn about friendship through the ages.” She informed her students as she turned to the dragon sitting at the table. “Spike, slide one, please.” Spike turns on the slide projector as an pony who lived in the past was presented in the slide. “Back in the days of Chancellor Puddinghead... “ She started to explain as she sees one of Spike’s wings blocking the slide view. “Uh, Spike?” She turned to the young dragon.

“Huh?” Spike woke up and asked in confusion before realizing why before moving them out of the way. “Sorry, Twilight. Still getting used to my new wings. They're pretty great, huh?”

“Yes, Spike. As I was saying...” Twilight prepared to continue only to spot the smiling and eager Cutie Mark Crusaders in her classroom. “Huh? What are you three doing here?”

“We wanna go to your school!” Apple Bloom answered with a raised hoof.

“But why?” Twilight wondered.

“We wanna learn friendship!” Sweetie Belle also answered.

“And play buckball!” Scootaloo also added.

“I see.” Twilight saw where they are going with this. “Why don't you three come with me?” She politely instructed the three before turning to Spike. “Spike, you're in charge.”

“Yes!” The young dragon said pleased with this as the three disappointed fillies followed after her out of the room as Starlight walks by.

“Hi, Twilight! Everything all good here?” Starlight greeted and offered her assistance.

“I’m good, thanks, Starlight. I've got this.” Twilight politely declined as the unicorn turned to leave.

“Okay.” Starlight responded somewhat disappointed as she has nothing to do right now as she walks off as Twilight turns back to the young trio.

“I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but... you can't be my students.” Twilight apologetically but firmly told them.

“Why not?” Sweetie Belle asked why trying hard not to be upset.

“Isn't this place for everycreature?” Scootaloo brought up.

“Yes, but we teach friendship lessons here.” Twilight kindly explained. “You already know all about helping ponies in need and being there for each other.”

“Can't you just give us a chance?” Sweetie Belle pleaded as she and the others sported their puppy-dog eyes.

“Pleeeeeeeeeeeaaaase?” They pleaded with wide-eyed grins.

“You need Cheerilee's classes, not mine.” Twilight still turned them down as kindly as she can before heading back to her classroom. “Hurry up. You don't want late marks on your permanent record.”

Twilight then opened the door to see Spike floated up leading the class with some kind of chant.

“O dragon! My dragon!” The students said together as they all placed hooves on their chests and stood on their desks.

“Spike?! What did you do?” Twilight asked with a bewildered sigh as Spike laughs nervously as Twilight enters the classroom and closes the door after her.


Twilight then made it through her lecture with another friendship lesson down in the books with an announcement that they will have a test about what they all learned about friendship at the end of week with one of the fillies, a Pegasus pony, with light pink fur a blue mane with a neat curled up hairstyle and a chess piece cutie mark looking on from the hallway watching the Cutie Mark Crusaders make their leave look on with narrowed eyes and a calculated expression of how to help them.

After class, Twilight heads to her office to grade papers with Spike helping carrying the papers in question.

“So far, so good.“ Twilight commented to herself after another successful class while trailing off on something on her mind.

“Everything okay, Twilight?” Spike asked as she snapped to attention.

“Oh, yes.” Twilight replied as they made their to her office. “Aside from having to tell the Cutie Mark Crusaders they can’t be my students, there was one filly in particular that doesn’t seem to understand the friendship lessons as well as everyone else.”

“Cozy Glow?” Spike asked.

“Yes.” Twilight replied as she started graded papers with her red pen. “Ever since she has joined by classes she’s been sneaking around showing a lack of interest of friendship.” She presented one of her previous papers with incorrect marks. ”I’m not one to jump to conclusions but I think this filly is up to something.”

“Or maybe she just doesn’t quite understand the friendship lessons as well as every other student.” Spike suggested finding the accusation way left out into the field. “Cause I find that really hard to believe. A filly capable of masterminding a plot to take down the school? The only way that would be possible is if she was Midnight’s daughter.”

“Maybe If that's possible.” Twilight could only say in response as she continues grading papers. “And if my past is something, not everything is impossible.” She still continued voicing her concerns to Spike while reminding her of her past just to get him to listen to her to which Spike then softens up enough to listen to her.

“Right.” Spike apologetically replied as he flew up to her eye level. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to blow your concerns to the sky like that. It’s just I have a hard time believing that’s true even if signs point there. I just don’t want you to get yourself into trouble again like the last time you charged in with proof-less accusations.”

“Believe me, I haven’t forgotten.” Twilight replied as she pulled out her orb to focus on Cozy Glow before continuing to focus on her papers at the same time. “Which is why I going to handle this quietly and carefully this time around even if I’m right.”

“I just hope whatever your approach to this works.” Spike asked her while feeling uneasy about her spying on her as he continues handing her the requested papers.


The next day during lunch when Twilight was dealing with the grading of homework assignments she came up upon Cozy Glow’s homework and to her surprise she actually got every question answered correctly.

“Could this really be happening?” Twilight wondered as she pulled up her assignment of having her do something nice for Big Mac, Bon-Bon, and Mrs. Cake and finds from her report that she had successfully did what she asked.

She helped Bon-Bon use Scootaloo’s helmet as a way to protect her face from the cactus constantly poking her face with its needles, she did Big Mac’s chores for her so he could spend time with his new girlfriend Sugar Belle, and got Mrs. Cake color-coded sprinkle shakers for her to use.

Twilight then carried through with her next class as planned and then waited until after class to act on her thoughts.

“Cozy Glow.” Twilight called out to her before she could leave the room. “A word please?”

“What is it, Headmare Twilight?” Cozy somewhat nervously replied. “Am I still failing?”

“No, no.” Twilight assured her otherwise with a smile. “You aced your most recent homework assignment and with that your grades in this class have just improved. She commended her.

“Really?” Cozy asked with a hopeful smile.

“Yes, really.” Twilight replied. “Out of all students in this class you have just improved the most.”

“Golly…” Cozy didn’t know what to say. “For a filly just getting the hang of the friendship lessons that’s really impressive of me.”

“It sure is.” Twilight further commended her. “Just out of curiosity did you have somepony teaching you these lessons?”

“Well, actually yes.” Cozy honestly answered.

“Who?”

“Three little fillies taught me.” Cozy replied. “A little unicorn Sweetie Belle, an earth pony Apple Bloom, and a peagsus pony Scootaloo who also call themselves the Cutie Mark Crusaders.”

“Did they?” Twilight said sounding impressed. “Well that was very nice of them to teach you.”

“It sure was.” Cozy felt grateful for what they did to help her. “Can you make sure to tell them they taught me well in case I hadn’t already told them?”

“Of course!” Twilight told her.

“Anything else?” Cozy asked if there is more she wants to discuss with her.

“Nope, that will be all for now.” Twilight answered as she gestured her to the door. “You can head on over to your next class. See you tomorrow.”

Cozy then left to do so as Twilight’s smile turns into a suspicious frown as secretly pulls out her orb to show her of the young student secretly smirking when she thinks no pony is watching her as Twilight continues to suspiciously watch on.


Later in the day as Twilight finishes up for the day, Twilight then teleports back to her room in Canterlot so she can secretly spy on Cozy Glow who is currently meeting up with the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

“Guess what! I got an A on my homework!” Cozy declared as she presented her graded papers to which the three fillies praising her by lifting her up together. “And I never could have done it without your help!

“No problem!” Sweetie Belle thought nothing of it.

“We just wish we could have done more.” Scootaloo added in the same tone.

“Actually, you can.” Cozy brought up. “Headmare Twilight is giving us a big test at the end of the week, and I could really use your help studying.” She baited them with a big-eyed smile to which Twilight still isn’t convinced by the act.

“We wanted to go to Twilight's school more than anything. But helpin' you has been even more fun! You can count on us!” Apple Bloom admitted but found something worth more than that as she vowed to her.


Through the days leading up to the test, Cozy Glow is under the tutelage of the Cutie Mark Crusaders who tutor her about the Elements of Harmony.

“Um... intelligence?” Cozy incorrectly guessed at Rarity’s cutie mark on a card when faced with no fruits or vegetables in her basket at a picnic to which Twilight eye rolled in response.

Later when painting a barn at Sweet Apple Acres she accidentally causes paint to splatter all over them to which they all laughed off as Twilight’s expression still doesn’t change.

“Just be thankful that wasn’t one of the princesses in a very bad mood.” She stoically commented as Scootaloo presents Cozy a card with Pinkie’s cutie mark on it to show her that’s what the element of laughter is as the four fillies make their way to Fluttershy’s cottage to help clean up where she accidentally knocks over bird seed to where her first instinct is to secret brush it under the rug until Apple Bloom catching her in the act reminds her about honesty with Applejack’s cutie mark on a card to which she immediately corrected herself pulling the rug off to allow the birds to snack on it.

Then the four fillies made their way back to their clubhouse where the Cutie Mark Crusaders all quiz Cozy on what she knows about the Elements of Harmony so far.

“Laughter?” Cozy for once correctly guessed.

“Yes!” Sweetie replied before pointing to the picture of Twilight’s cutie mark

“Is it... control?” Cozy then incorrectly guessed as the unicorn shakes her head no the best she could.

Later the four fillies out for another walk see that Pipsqueak has lost control of her kite to which Cozy quickly took control of the situation by pulling it out of the tree it was stuck in before pursing it when it got caught by a strong wind by then Cozy Glow was now able to correctly memorize what the Elements of Harmony are as she was able to correctly guess the right elements.

“Kindness! Loyalty! Honesty! Generosity! Laughter! Magic!” She said in that order as they all cheer in celebration that Cozy is ready for her big test as Twilight puts her orb away having seen enough.

“If my hunch is correct then it would seem Cozy Glow is trying to help them get into my school.” Twilight figured to herself feeling that she is going to try something with her upcoming friendship test.


When test day came, students had their pencils at the ready to take their test and many of them passed with grades ranging from okay to great with Ocellus managing to ace her test no problem even if she felt a little self-pressured to strive for perfection deep down with Yona doing fine but could use some help with the others Gallus, Sandbar, Silverstream managed well, and last but not least the surprise Twilight wasn’t expecting was seeing Cozy Glow’s test results.

She got every answer wrong despite learning all of the correct answers from the Cutie Mark Crusaders which was something that Twilight had to pull her aside to break the news privately to which she “predictably” took well.

Twilight figuring something was up but wanted to be smart about. So she decided to have a word with the Cutie Mark Crusaders who had just seen the young filly fly off in tears of distraught after breaking the news to them.

“But how could Cozy Glow fail her friendship test?” Apple Bloom questioned to her friends just as Twilight appeared.

“Ahem.” Twilight said to get their attention. “I'd like to see you three in my office!” She sternly told them as she made her way back inside leaving the three fillies feeling they are all in trouble now as Cozy Glow secretly witnesses this unbeknownst to the trio.


When the Cutie Mark Crusaders arrived inside her office Twilight had closed the door after them with her magic before making her way to her desk where she pulls up Cozy’s test results.

“I know we wanted to be invited inside, but it kinda went different in my head.” Scootaloo quietly whispered to her friends who are all feeling very and equally nervous as Twilight turned on music from the radio on her desk to avoid anyone else listening on their conversation as Cozy Glow sneaks back inside from outside of her office.

“Okay, girls…” Twilight calmly started.

“We didn’t do anything! We promise!” Scootaloo exclaimed already frightened feeling they've been framed for something they didn't do.

“Don’t worry. You're not!” Twilight quickly and calmly assured them as the Crusaders still look fear-stricken. “I just wanted to ask you a couple of questions.”

“Like what?” Apple Bloom questioned wondering where this is going with her nerves still shot not knowing and expecting the worst from the alicorn princess.

“You are Cozy Glow’s tutors, correct?” Twilight asked.

“We’ve been working with her for days!” Scootaloo nervously and honestly replied.

“That’s what she told me.” Twilight replied as she pulled up Cozy’s test results. “So before I begin…you three have been teaching her the right answers, correct?”

“Yes.” The girls said together.

“Then you didn’t teach her these friendship test answers?” Twilight said as she presented them all of the incorrect answers. “"What are the six Elements of Harmony?" Five turtlenecks and a cheese grater? "Who is the Princess of Friendship?" Your mom?”

“I…I don’t understand.” Apple Bloom said in surprise seeing this. “She was doing well up that point. How could she possible go from a test ace to a test flunk?”

“That’s my question as well.” Twilight responded just as lost as the three fillies as she walked over to them and leaned down to their eye level for a whisper. “And I have a feeling that your student might have flunked it on purpose.”

“On purpose?!” Scootaloo exclaimed in surprise.

“But why would she do it if it’s true?” Sweetie Belle reacted in surprise.

“Maybe she’s heard about your desire to come to this school and thought this would help.” Twilight answered as the Cutie Mark Crusaders react in surprise by what they are hearing. “Unless of course you’ve been setting her up to fail?”

“Oh no! Of course not!” The three fillies quickly said together while shaking their heads to confirm it's the honest truth.

“I know you all wouldn’t.” Twilight replied with a warm smile. “Normally I wouldn’t make this to those who already know about friendship but I am willing to make an exception to you three girls to allow you three to become students at my school on one condition…”

“Really?” The three fillies said in eager excitement but then wondered. “What’s that?”

“I want to get Cozy to make that confession, but I can’t confront her about without dealing with possible backlash for accusing someone with proof again.” Twilight explained as she made sure the music was loud enough so Cozy can’t make out a word she was saying to them as she explains to them her plan. “So I am going to have to ask you give her reason to confess.”

“Like get us to pretend we’ve been banned from this school?” Sweetie Belle deduced her proposal.

“I know this is going to sound hard to believe but I find something very suspicious about her and want to make sure I know what she is planning before she does something that threatens Equestria’s safety.” Twilight explained to them the best she could.

“While we don’t want to be believe it, but at the same time it doesn’t make sense that she would start to get the hang of friendship lessons only to flunk at the last second.” Apple Bloom conceded in agreement with Twilight’s argument.

“That’s true and if your suspicion is correct that could be a really big problem.” Scootaloo also agreed the more she thought about it.

“Okay.” Sweetie Belle agreed on behalf of the Crusaders. “For our entries into this school and for the good of Equestria. How about you girls?” She asked the others.

“I’m in!” Scootaloo immediately agreed.

“Let’s do it!” Apple Bloom spoke on board with Twilight’s plan.

“All right then.” Twilight spoke satisfied that they are all willing to agree with this before moving to envelop her magic around her radio. “I’m going to turn off this music and when I do be prepared for harsh words and be ready to pretend to be upset. Got it?”

“Mmm-hmm.” The girls said together in agreement.

“All right.” Twilight said as she turned off the music and then suddenly shifted to her stern and angered tone of voice as she addresses them. “I can't believe you'd do something like this!”

“Like what?” Apple Bloom asked sounding surprised and very shocked by the sudden change of tone.

“You are Cozy Glow's tutors, aren't you?” She asked them in an interrogating tone.

“We've been working with her for days!” Scootaloo replied.

“That's what she told me. So you've been setting her up to fail?” Twilight angrily asked in an accusatory manner.

“What?!” Sweetie and Scootaloo asked sounding shocked themselves.

“How?! Apple Bloom also asked.

“I know you're upset that I won't let you come to my school, but to teach Cozy all the wrong things out of spite... That's just cruel!” She further scolded.

“But we taught her all the right things!” Sweetie Belle protested.

“Then how do you explain these friendship test answers?” She demanded an explanation. “"What are the six Elements of Harmony?" Five turtlenecks and a cheese grater? "Who is the Princess of Friendship?" Your mom?”

“I... I don't understand.” Apple Bloom asked in pretend confusion.

“Me neither. I never thought you three would pull such a mean prank. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to ask you to stay away from my school. And my students.“ She gestured them to leave while opening up the doors with an open wing as the three filies smile at Twilight to thank her as Twilight winks back while reminding them her head notions to continue to pretend to be upset as they all do so and look like they are all going to cry as they walk off as Twilight closes the door after her as Cozy Glow watches her plan went wrong.

“Oh, no!” Cozy Glow said with regret as she makes her way to Starlight’s office as Twilight secretly teleports away as she meets up with the girls outside.

“Again, just so there are no hard feelings, I apologize for what I just put you through back there.” Twilight quickly and sincerely apologized for what she just did.

“That’s okay, Twilight!” Apple Bloom assured her it was no big deal.

“Yeah, if it means getting to go to your school and helping save Equestria, then this is totally worth it!” Sweetie Belle added in agreement.

“Yeah, even when that was all an act I still felt scared.” Scootaloo remarked in amazement of how well they pulled that off together. “Maybe they should call you the princess of acting too.” She hinted at said princess as she giggles in response.

“Maybe.” Twilight thought nothing of it as she pulled them in for a group teleportation. “And now to see if my suspicions are correct.” She said as she teleported them to back to her office so they can hear Cozy Glow talk with Starlight as the former had predicted.

“Welcome!” Starlight greeted. “Can I get you a comfort pillow? Security blanket? Empathy cocoa?” She offered.

“Uh, I just need some advice.” Cozy politely declined.

“Okay.” Starlight accepted. “I’m listening.”

“I think I got my friends in trouble. They helped me study for my friendship test, and I failed it... on purpose.” She confessed.

“What?!” The girls listening said in surprise as Twilight shows no reaction as she expected this.

“Why would you do that?” Starlight exclaimed in surprise before correcting herself as she sips her hot cocoa. “Uh, sorry. Listening.”

“Well, the Cutie Mark Crusaders wanted to go to this school more than anything.” She explained to Starlight as she confessed. “So I thought if I showed Headmare Twilight they're bad at friendship, she'd let them come here with me.”

“That's devious. I-I mean, I see.” She remarked impressed with her as she corrects herself again adopting a stoic poker face as as she sips her cocoa again to which Twilight rolls her eyes amused as she too has come across that bit too.

“I guess I still have a lot to learn about friendship.” Cozy said with regret with what she did.

“Actually, I think you're doing all right.” Starlight assured her as she emerged from her chair and approached her. "Sure, that was a really, really bad way to try to help your friends, but what matters is you wanted to. The reason the Cutie Mark Crusaders don't go to this school is because they'd make better teachers than students.” Starlight said to Cozy as the four continue to eavesdrop on their conversation.

“So you do have a place for them here?” Cozy asked them.

“Hmmm...” Starlight thought to herself as the four back away from the wall after hearing what they needed to hear.

“So you were right all along!” Apple Bloom reacted in shock at this development.

“I can’t believe Cozy actually did that after all of that studying!” Scootaloo reacted just as shocked as her and Sweetie Belle.

“I can’t believe she thought that would actually help us get in school!” Sweetie Belle also said in the same tone.

“I know.” Twilight agreed with them. “And don’t worry, you’ll all still be students here as promised with something else when Starlight discusses with me about what she had just learned.”

“Like what?” Apple Bloom wondered as they hear a knock on the door.

“You’ll find out…” Twilight relied with a knowing smile as she quickly teleports them away and back to Cheerlie’s school as she Starlight comes inside with Cozy in tow.

“Yes, Starlight.” Twilight greeted.

“Hi.” Starlight also greeted. “I was just talking with one of our students and found a confession you might be interested in hearing.” She explained as she turned to Cozy. “Cozy Glow, is there something you’d like to say?”

“I’m sorry, Headmare Twilight, but I messed up my test on purpose.” Cozy Glow said with forced sadness.

“Really?” Twilight said sounding and pretending to be surprised at this development. “Why?”

“After overhearing they wanted to go to this school too I thought it would help you see they still have a lot to learn about friendship so I thought failing my test would do it.” Cozy confessed. “It was never my intention to get them into trouble.”

“Okay.” Twilight simply replied with a sigh. “While I appreciate you came forward with complete honesty about this, I had just had a word with them and they aren’t pretty happy with what I had to tell them in response.” She added with disappointment in her voice.

“Am I in trouble, Headmare Twilight?” Cozy Glow asked with fear in her eyes.

“No, no…” Twilight assured her in a gentle yet firm tone. “You’ll get another chance to retake the test, but you will have to apologize to the Cutie Mark Crusaders for what you did. But if I may I need to speak with Starlight for a second?”

“Okay.” Cozy accepted the decision as Twilight turns to Starlight while Cozy made her way outside with Twilight turning on music again as soon as she left.

“And if I may Twilight…” Starlight spoke looking around confused along with hearing the sudden music surrounding the room they are standing in. “Why?”

“Just so Cozy doesn’t hear us…” Twilight explained as she made sure Cozy has no idea of what they are talking about leaving the young filly outside just as confused. “…Because just between you and me and the Cutie Mark Crusaders we find there is something suspicious about her.”

“Like how she put up an act that makes her seem nice and sweet when she is really sneaky and manipulative deep down.” Starlight figured where this is going. “And I take it you already knew this from the start?”

“Takes one mastermind to know one.” Twilight casually replied. “Anyways, I want this to be handled quietly to avoid backlash if she is proven innocent and I don’t want her catching on to me yet.”

“Understood!” Starlight replied with a nod. “To tell you the truth, I know there is something off with her when she sneaking around school along with her not interested in empathy cocoa. But I can’t put my hoof on what it is.”

“Which is why I plan to keep a close eye on her by placing her under close supervision and plan to tell the princesses immediately if anything comes up.” Twilight told her pupil before changing the subject. “So what kind of proposal did you want to talk to me about?”

“Just that I think the Cutie Mark Crusaders could make very good friendship tutors here since the girls can’t be students here.” Starlight replied.

“I think I can arrange that.” Twilight agreed without hesitation. “Besides I had already promised them they could be students if they pretended they got kicked out of the school.”

“What?! Why?!” Starlight asked in surprise.

“Just to get Cozy to make her confession.” Twilight answered before quickly assuring her. “But there’s nothing to worry about! The girls all know this was all an act and they are currently waiting at Cheerlie’s school for further instructions so if you could fetch them for me please that would be great.” She kindly asked Starlight who gives her a sly smile for her deviousness as she sets out to do so.


Twilight even though she knows this doesn’t want anyone else to know she has been spying on anyone reacts with surprise that she would do it before requesting the Mane Five to come when the Cutie Mark Crusaders arrive and Starlight to bring them back to her office where the three are gifted with enrollment, jobs as tutors, and honorary diplomas guaranteed at the end of the semester right around when Twilight’s coronation is set to take place.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders while surprised were all filled with joy to see that they are all finally getting to go to Twilight’s school with jobs to help other students when they need it and guaranteed graduation at the end of the semester.

As soon as the Cutie Mark Crusaders and Cozy Glow go their separate ways for the day, Cozy Glow goes off on her own accord deep into Equestria where she meets up with a pony in the shadows in the Everfree Forest.

“Well…” The pony said from the nearby dark cave. “Did you bring it?”

“Uh-huh.” Cozy replied with a nod as she presented a book her employer had requested. “I got it, Mother.”

Said pony emerges from the shadows to reveal herself as Midnight Sparkle in her disguise from back when she attempted to break apart the Mane Six's friendship by convincing a crowd of ponies to take the friendship lesson the wrong way as she levitates said book towards herself.

“Good.” Midnight said very satisfied with her accomplishment.

“Just one little thing…” Cozy spoke up. “How much longer do I have to keep this is up because Twilight’s getting very suspicious of my sneaky behavior?”

“Just until when the school year nears its end nine months from now.” Midnight assured her as she gently hugged her. “And remember that she can’t accuse a filly of treason without clear proof no matter how strong and true it is.”

“But what if we’re discovered before you enact your plan?” Cozy further questioned still feeling very troubled as if they are surfacing over boiling water.

“I’m two steps ahead, Cozy Glow. I already have another plan in place.” She said sinisterly as Cozy nuzzled herself into Midnight’s chest feeling more comfortable now under the alicorn's wing.

All while this is going on, this is all being watched by Twilight secretly from her room in Canterlot who narrows her eyes in suspicion and disgust at Cozy Glow's mother having her do dirty work for her.

Author's Note:

In this chapter, we now have the introduction to Cozy Glow the Arc Villain of Season 8 who in this version unlike in canon is very clear she is up to something to which Twilight is smart enough to know that as she secretly spies on her in return while playing it smart from her past experience of accusing others without proof.

Having said that, while it's clear the Cutie Mark Crusaders know all about friendship doesn't mean they still can't learn about friendship which is why in this version they become students in the end, along with being tutors to other students, with guaranteed graduation at the end of the semester instead after helping Twilight deal with Cozy Glow.

For that I had the controversial scene where Twilight scolds them for setting up Cozy Glow to fail all an act to extract a confession from her that she failed her friendship test on purpose with Twilight instead knowing from the start that the Cutie Mark Crusaders are innocent while making them the deal that they will become her students if they work with her plan to turn the tables on Cozy Glow. With of course, some words of apologizing added as what many fans thought really derailed Twilight's character with that scene.

Since Twilight is a former mastermind from her past as Midnight, she isn't fooled by Cozy Glow's Nice Girl act for one second, and carefully observes her while acting on her suspicions and being smart about, not wanting to make the same mistake that led to her Start of Darkness back at the First Canterlot Wedding.

As for the ending, what Twilight couldn't put her hoof on until the end from her spying on Cozy Glow is that she is indeed working for someone (Midnight) but really the pony she disguised herself as back in "Fame and Misfortune", who the former refers to her as her mother and it is clear they both share the mother and daughter bond together, which will explained more later on into this story.

As of this episode, Twilight is aware that Cozy Glow is up to no good. But the question that will remain ambiguous until School Raze is will Twilight be able to stay a step ahead of Midnight even when she is aware of Twilight being suspicious with her little mole.

PreviousChapters Next