• Published 27th Feb 2020
  • 4,427 Views, 207 Comments

Light and Dark: Road to Redemption - MXCDarkHorse2020



Twilight Sparkle, now the Princess of Friendship, focuses on proving to everypony through the adventures of Season 5 of Friendship is Magic onwards that she truly has redeemed herself for her past actions as Midnight Sparkle.

  • ...
9
 207
 4,427

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 27: Gauntlet of Fire

Chapter 27:

Gauntlet of Fire

In the following days since Midnight’s resurrection, every pony has been on alert for her appearance and whereabouts. So far she hasn’t made a scene anywhere since re-creating the Crystal Empire crisis and that’s because she is now bidding her time until she is ready to strike.

Nonetheless, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna both came over to Twilight’s castle to tell her the update while getting to together with her to spend the afternoon with her over tea. To which Twilight was very pleased to be able to arrange this get together since the two are always so busy dealing with others ponies cries for help. A day they could just relax and catch up with each other without having to worry about anything. Something Twilight couldn’t ask for more especially after learning her inadvertent role of bringing Midnight Sparkle back from the grave.

“I'm so glad you two could come!” Twilight happily told the royal sisters.

“Of course. We so rarely get a chance to relax and just visit.” Luna returned. “Especially after everything that had just happened.”

“I couldn’t agree more.” Twilight tried to think nothing of it but more on being prepared for when she strikes next.

“There's usually some crisis we have to deal with. Somepony always needs our help. But today—“ Celestia agreed with both princesses as she spoke until being interrupted by Rarity’s cry for help.

“Help!” She screamed as she burst the doors open. “Twilight! There's something wrong with Spike!”

“What's wrong?” She asked in a concerned tone as she levitated aside the snacks and drinks on the table to place the glowing and itching dragon onto the table.

“I don't know! Nngh!” Spike grunted as he scratched himself. “All of a sudden, my scales just started glowing and... burning!”

“Little is known about dragon culture, but this is a phenomenon we've seen before. It is the call of the Dragon Lord.” Luna calmly spoke from her observations.

“Dragons glow whenever the Dragon Lord has need of them in the Dragon Lands.” Celestia explained to them.

“Great... H-How do I make it stop?!” Spike replied as he still itches like crazy.

“The only way to end the summons is to answer it. You must journey to the Dragon Lands and see what is expected of you.” Luna told him with a raised hoof.

“B-B-But the Dragon Lands are full of... dragons!” Rarity stammered at this response. “And they're ghastly creatures!” She further exclaimed before quickly turning to Spike apologetically upon realizing that she unintentionally insulted Spike. “Oh, oh, not you, of course, Spikey-wikey. But remember that rotten Garble?” She corrected of what she meant who nervously gulps when his name was brought up.

“How could I forget? He would have burnt us to a crisp if you weren't there.” Spike recalled.

“We were lucky we managed to get out of there in time.” Twilight also recalled.

“If I have to go to the Dragon Lands, would you two come with me?” Spike asked the two ponies.

“Absolutely!” Twilight quickly agreed. “Because I deeply care for your well-being and I’m not about to let a group of intimidating dragons threaten you and put you danger. And two, this could also be an opportunity since we are sadly lacking any information on dragon culture and customs and make a great contribution to the knowledge of Equestria.” She then spoke her excited interest about learning more about dragons. “That is of course after we make sure you are okay.” Twilight reassured Spike with a hoof on his back that his well-being is most important to her.

“Be very careful. The Dragon Lands are particularly dangerous for ponies. It would be wise to be discreet.” Princess Celestia warned them to be cautious.

"We will" Twilight replied to assure her mother-like mentor.

“Ooh! I'm sure I still have the dragon costume we used the last time we snuck into the Dragon Lands!“ Rarity replied as she squealed in delight and clapped her hooves together.

“I think we might want something a little more practical this time.” Twilight suggested that they need something more that blends in more. “And if that fails then they’ll be walking away thinking twice about messing with some ponies friends.” She then said with determination to stand her ground against Garble they next they cross paths like that again. "And so much for a day of relaxation with the other princesses." She then groaned to herself as she set off to journey to the Dragon Lands with Spike and Rarity.


Later at the Dragon Lands, Spike sits on top of the rock to which serves as Twilight and Rarity’s disguise where Rarity is peering her eyes from the top and Twilight peers her eyes from the bottom.

“Hmmm... Well, it may be practical, but this disguise isn't flattering in the slightest!” Rarity complained and sneered with a glare.

“It's not supposed to be flattering. It's supposed to blend in!” Twilight retorted as she urged the unicorn to quite her whining.

“Shh!” Spike whispered to them from up top as the glowing dragons are gathered together and walking around.

“Hey-hey, look! It's our old friend Sparkle-warkle.” Garble, the big and red muscular dragon said, as he walked up wasting no time in taunting the young dragon.

“It's Spike.” Spike corrected the arrogant dragon.

“Are you sure your pony friends didn't give you a pony name?” Garble further taunting with his eyebrows showing girly eyebrows

“It's nice to see you too, Garble.” Spike sarcastically returned with crossed arms.

“I didn't say it was nice to see you. It's not. I don't like you. Was I not clear about that?” Garble blatantly missed his sarcasm as he flicks Spike off of the rock and sits on it causing Twilight and Rarity to feel a little cramped by the extra weight.

Thinking quick Twilight used her horn to heat up the rock to which Garble yelped after his bottom got burned and got sent flying to a distance. Twilight then winked at Spike to sit back on top of the rock as he now feels warm and seeing it has a seat heater.

Just as Spike was getting comfortable, a large shadow loomed over all of the dragons as a giant blue dragon with dark gray armor and orange eyes loomed on his throne.

“Dragons of Equestria, hear me!” The dragon leader announced through a shouting and commanding tone. “I have been Dragon Lord for longer than many of you can remember, and my reign has been extraordinary! Agree with me!” He then shouted and commanded the dragons to make utters and cheers of agreement.

“Torch! Torch! Torch! Torch!” The dragons chanted as the giant dragon raised his hand to gesture them to be silent now.

“Who is that?” Spike asked Garble who flew back over to where Spike was sitting.

“It's Dragon Lord Torch, dummy.” Garble scoffed as if it was a stupid question.

“No, next to him.” Spike corrected as he was pointing to the light blue scaled dragon in flight by his side.

“That's his daughter, Princess Ember.” Garble answered. “I wouldn't even look at her if I were you, unless you want Torch to eat you!” He warned otherwise as he pointed a finger in Spike’s face who nervously gulps in response.

“This is fascinating! Dragons are notoriously reckless, but they do whatever the Dragon Lord says!” Twilight whispered to Rarity as she observes the Dragon Lord’s speech.

“Unfortunately, according to dragon law, it is time for me to step down. Sad, I know.” The dragon lord announces both begrudgingly and somewhat solemnly. “Be sad!” He commanded the dragons to do so when he doesn’t get the reaction he was expecting again who then cries tears of sadness. “This is why I have summoned you – to compete for the throne in the Gauntlet of Fire!” He then announced much to the dragon’s excitement while Spike sweats and shakes nervously. “Whomever has the strength and fortitude to retrieve this blood-stone scepter from the heart of the flame-cano will be crowned Lord of the Dragons!” He then announced as he held up said scepter and then flicked into a hollow and crystallized structure to which to which it releases a huge red wave of magic that causes every dragon to stop glowing.

“When the scepter disappeared, the dragons stopped glowing! We are learning so much!” Twilight whispered in amazement as she writes it all down in her journal as Rarity itches up a sneeze due the feather pen she was holding tickling her nose but thankfully Twilight quickly placed a hoof on her nose before she could let loose one that could have blown their cover.

“The Gauntlet is dangerous, for I designed it myself! Only dragons with my ferocity, strength, and determination will be able to finish. We will gather at the cliff when the sun is at its peak!” The Dragon Lord announced to the dragons as they all cheer in agreement.

“I don't want to be Dragon Lord or dragon toast, and I stopped glowing, so let's sneak out of here!” Spike proposed and whispered to Twilight and Rarity seeing that he no longer feels required to stick around as he pushes the rock away. This however did not go unnoticed by the Dragon Lord.

“Ah! Where do you think you're going, little dragon?!” The Dragon Lord called out to Spike as the other dragons all step aside as Spike turns to see the giant dragon addressing him.

“Oh, uh, hi, your Lordship. Uh, I was just going home!” Spike honestly answered.

“You don't get to leave unless I say you can!” The Dragon Lord told him as he lowered his head to his eye level.

As Spike nervously looks around as he is being pushed into a corner here Princess Ember flew down in his defense.

“Dad, look at him. He's just a runt. Besides, he doesn't even wanna compete. Let him go.” Princess Ember defended while Spike took offense at being referred to as a runt.

“He is rather tiny, heh-heh. I could squish him with my pinky claw.” The Dragon Lord chuckled in amusement as he pinched his hand together to which Spike nervously chuckled.

“That wasn't a joke. It was a fact.” The Dragon Lord told him that he was serious when he said that. “When I want you to laugh, I will say "be amused!" He then shouted the last two words.

“Of course, your Lordship! I, uh, guess I don't understand dragon customs. Another reason why I shouldn't compete.” Spike obeyed no problem with a shrug.

“Hm. Very well then, little dragon. I release you.” The Dragon Lord complied with a sigh.

“Thank you!” Spike gratefully replied. “And thank you.” He gratefully winked at the female dragon as he set forward with pushing his friends out of the Dragon Lands while Ember set off in the gauntlet’s direction only to be stopped by her father when he caught her in his hand.

“Where do you think you're going?” The Dragon Lord questioned.

“To prepare for the Gauntlet.” Princess Ember replied.

“No, you're not. You're not much bigger than that runt I just sent home!” The Dragon Lord refused and dismissed her much to her frustration.

“But I'm smarter than most of these boulder-heads and you know it!” Ember protested as she flew up to his eye level.

“Being smart won't help you win this Gauntlet!” The Dragon Lord dismissed as they faced each other eye to eye. “It was designed for a big, strong dragon to win, because it takes a big, strong dragon to lead! Besides, I said no!” He then shouted in his daughter’s face blowing her back a little.

“I hate when he does that!” Ember growled in anger at her father’s condescending behavior as she flew off.

Having watched the scene from above had sparked some anger in Twilight’s eyes as she and her friends watch as the many dragons chatter in preparation for the Gauntlet.

“Ha. When I become Dragon Lord, I will make burps an official greeting!” The purple dragon declared.

“Ha, you? Please! When I win, I will pillage Equestria for all their pillows. Why should these ponies be comfortable while we sleep on rocks?” The brown dragon smugly declared.

“That's nothing!” Garble dismissed both dragons just as arrogant and smug as every dragon here. “When I'm in charge, the first thing I'll do is get revenge on those puny ponies!” He declared as he pounded his fists together. “They'll regret they ever crossed Garble! We'll take whatever we want from Equestria and burn the rest!” He told the others as they walked off with him.

“Oh, my gosh!” Twilight spoke in shock hearing this announcement of what this could mean for the fate of Equestria.

“Ooh, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I hope that burping dragon wins!” Rarity expressed her dismay hoping one of the least worst to come out on top.

“None of them can win! Equestria is in big trouble if any of them are in charge!” Spike pointed out that none of them are qualified. “There's only one thing to do, and only I can do it! I have to win the Gauntlet of Fire!” Spike determinedly declared much to Rarity’s discomfort.

“What do you mean you have to win the Gauntlet?” Rarity questioned Spike of why he is changing his initial stance on competing.

“It's the only way to protect Equestria from the dragons.” Spike justified as he explained himself. “You heard them! They have horrible plans for ponies if they win! So somehow, I have to do it!”

“There has to be another way. It's too dangerous.” Twilight voiced her concerns. “Actually…” Twilight then spoke up as she got an idea. “…Maybe there is this.” She thought out loud as she casts herself an invisibility spell. “You go ahead and prepare yourself for the Gauntlet challenge. I’ll catch up with you and Rarity in just a little bit.” She told them as she flew off in the opposite direction.

Twilight then flies over to where she saw Ember fly off as she finally catches to her.

“Excuse me.” Twilight called out to her as she lands in front of her.

“Who said that?! Who’s there?!” Ember said in alarm getting into a defensive stance ready to incinerate whoever approached her. “Show yourself!” She demanded as Twilight dropped her invisibility spell. “A pony!” She exclaimed in surprise. “What are you doing here?”

Twilight raised her hooves up as she calmly speaks to her. “Sorry about, and to answer your question, I’m here because the dragon you saved from having to compete in the Gauntlet is my friend.”

“Friend? Dragon’s don’t do friends.” Ember somewhat coldly scoffed off the idea as she prepared to walk off as if she doesn’t care.

“Well, that young dragon does and if you would like to prove yourself to your father I’m more than willing to offer you help.” Twilight still offered as she called out to her direction to which stopped Ember in her tracks.

“Go on.” Ember spoke up now turning to face the alicorn now being willing to hear what she has to say.

“Okay, so what I’m thinking is that since your father wouldn’t let you compete is that you enter anyway...” Twilight explained.

“And what’s stopping him from finding out the second I step forward to compete?” Ember interrupted pointed out the flaw with that plan.

“Nothing’s stopping you if your father doesn’t know you’re actually there.” Twilight calmly replied with a sly smile. “I’m sure some dragon who can outsmart those knuckleheads who think brute strength and size is all they need can still beat them. Wouldn’t you agree?” Twilight added by baiting Ember with the right motivation.

“Whatever.” Ember replied as she got together her golden armor and helmet for a disguise. “I don’t care as long you don’t get in my way. Now if you’ll excuse me I have a Gauntlet to win.”

She would then put on her disguise before flying off ahead to join the other dragons competing for the Gauntlet as Twilight smiles in her direction before recasting her invisibility spell.


She would then fly over to where Rarity is hiding still using the rock disguise as she watches Spike join the other dragons. Once she sees Ember has joined them and nobody recognizes her she then cancels her invisibility spell so she can regroup with Rarity.

“This way.” Twilight instructed Rarity to follow her as she teleports them down below the cliff where she jumps into the water to get under seaweed nearby. “We can use this seaweed to watch Spike from behind.”

“Eww. But I just had my fur and mane all cleaned up.” Rarity complained.

“Just get under the seaweed, Rarity.” Twilight ordered the unicorn to do so all the while sounding annoyed with her whining. “You’re going to have it washed again anyways when we get back.” She further pointed out her she is wasting her breath complaining like that as the reluctant unicorn slowly makes her way into the water to join Twilight as they see Spike fall down off of the cliff and fall into the water.

“Thanks, Garble! I was planning on swimming anyway!” Spike angrily and sarcastically called out to Garble before grumbling to himself as Twilight and Rarity approach him as he swims forward.

“You can do it, Spike!” Rarity encouraged as she and Twilight reveal themselves to him form under the seaweed to which Spike smiled at their support.

Twilight and Rarity both watch as Spike swims towards the island while also watching as the dragons fly their way towards the island getting either hit or barely dodging sea monsters roaring water out of their mouths. Garble got hit by one of the sea monster’s attack as he was knocked back and then accidentally knocked Ember down towards the sea before taking off.

Ember then fell and crashed into the water while sinking underwater having been knocked out from Garble’s hit on her right in front of the three swimmers.

“He's gonna drown!” Spike exclaimed in horror as only Twilight knows that the guy is really the girl Ember.

Thinking quick he dove down and pulled Ember up to the surface before carrying her to shore.

“Hey, are you okay?” Spike asked her as she came too while pulling off her helmet so she can spit out the water that got into her mouth to avoid choking on it. “Princess Ember!” He exclaimed in surprise seeing her.

“What do you think you're doing?” Ember ungratefully asked the young dragon.

“Only saving your ungrateful scales!” Rarity felt the need to tell off her off while blowing her cover at the same time.

“Did that seaweed just talk?” Ember questioned as she approached the two ponies and took off their disguise. Her suspicious eyes widen in surprise when she sees Twilight again with Rarity. “Of course, it’s you again.” Ember stoically greeted the alicorn with zero shock which left Rarity wondering why she didn't react with surprise upon seeing her. “So this dragon is the one who’s your special friend?” She asked before turning back to Spike. “What are they doing here?!” She demanded to know the meaning of this.

“They're my friends!” Spike positively answered. “Also the alicorn is someone I look up to as mother.” He added as Twilight humbly blushed at his compliment.

“Friends? Dragons don't do friends.” Ember still scoffs off the very concept of friendship.

“Well, this dragon does.” Spike still kept up his stance on friendship.

“Whatever. I don't care as long as none of you get in my way.” Ember replied she as she takes back her helmet. “I have a Gauntlet to win.”

“But I thought your dad said that—“ Spike pointed out as he thought.

“I don't care what my dad said!” Ember shouted back angrily. “I'll show him and every dragon who thinks I'm just a little princess there are better things than being big and strong!”

At that moment, Garble made across to the island as he gets hit square in the gut by one of the boulders thrown at him by the Dragon Lord’s tail slinging causing him to plummet down to the ground nearby. Twilight quickly pulls up their disguise to avoid being spotted by Garble as Ember quickly puts on her helmet to avoid being recognized too.

“Don't leave me here, Spike!” Garble desperately cried out to the dragon who helps him out no problem even though he had no reason too.

“Ha-ha! Knew you'd do it. Your pony friends made you soft.” Garble ungratefully told the young dragon dubbing him a sucker for falling for his ruse while kicking dirt onto him.

“Uh-huh. You're welcome.” Spike sarcastically replied to Garble’s reaction as if he expected that.

“For what? I didn't say thank you.” Garble responded as he sniffed at Spike. “Wow, you even smell like ponies.“ He then sniffed again. “Or is it coming from over there?” He then sniffed up to Twilight and Rarity’s hiding spot before being stopped by Ember.

“Uh, that's just me. I, uh, robbed some ponies on my way over here.” Ember told Garble as she spoke in a manly and gruff voice.

“Huh, I like your style.”Garble spoke impressed. “Have I met you before? You kind of look like—“

“My, uh, old neighbor! Uh, Sandy... Rockbeach!” Spike quickly jumped in before he could inspect Ember more closely as he eyed said sandy rock beach.

“Stupid sling-tails knocked me down!” Garble grumbled as they watched the Dragon Lord tail slinging another boulder. “But I've wasted enough time making small talk. Get it? Ha-ha! Because you're too small to win this! I'm funny.” Garble then flew off after making another cruel joke at Spike’s expense as Twilight silently reacted with an annoyed glare and rolled her eyes as whispers to herself. “Only to you.”

“Why did you cover for me? You could've had one less competitor.” Ember questioned Spike as she took off her helmet sounding surprised like it's the first time anyone other than Twilight has ever stuck up for her.

“I could ask you the same thing. You could've told Garble about my friends.” Spike pointed out as the dragons are trying and failing to avoid being struck by flying boulders.

“Yikes... That looks rough.” Ember winced in pain before composing herself with her serious expression. “But that's what makes it a challenge.”

“Are you kidding? Those boulders are huge!” Spike pointed out as he pondered an idea to which Ember wonders what he is suggesting. “Hey, what if we worked together? You fly me up there, and I'll help look out for boulders, like a second set of eyes!” He proposed.

“Pssst!” Rarity called off from the tree stump she and Twilight are hiding in as Spike thought they were still hiding in the seaweed. “Spike! Are you sure it's a good idea to team up with Ember? You don't know her too well.” She expressed her doubts

“I do know she could've told Garble about you, but she didn't.” Spike pointed out to the uncertain unicorn. “I think we can trust her.”

“And I agree!” Twilight voiced her support to Spike’s plan as she popped her head out from her hiding place while pulling out her notebook. “Her behavior does seem contradictory to everything I've noted about dragons so far and is someone who values her brains and intellect more than relying on brute strength and size. In my opinion, she is the perfect dragon to win the Gauntlet.”

“Hey, you, little fella!” Ember called out to Spike. “I've thought about it, and your plan makes sense. Let's do it.” She then told Spike with a smile

“Really? Great! It's a deal!” Spike said in excitement of her acceptance as they shook hands on it or Ember pinching and shaking Spike’s pinkie.

“Just so you know, this doesn't mean we're gonna pick flowers or exchange necklaces or whatever pony friends do.” Ember quickly told him that this doesn’t mean it’s all smiles from here as she started to set out to continue forward.

“Good luck. We'll meet you at the top.” Twilight told Spike as he smiled in the dragon’s direction while waving goodbye to Twilight before joining Ember.

“Care to explain why you didn’t think to bring some perfume to disguise our scents.” Rarity again complained to Twilight. “We nearly had our cover blown.”

“For starters, bringing the perfume is your job and secondly, these all-muscled dragons are easily gullible.” Twilight again irritably answered as she is seriously considering magically zipping her mouth shut for the rest of their visit.

“You really think trusting her is a good idea?” Rarity questioned her. “And how did she recognize you?”

“I met up with her shortly after being turned away by her father.” Twilight answered as they made their way to the top of the mountain. “He deemed the competition out of her league just because she is a girl. So I convinced her to compete and show them that brains and intellect proves superior of brawn and size.”

“Really?” Rarity said sounding impressed at Twilight’s bravery and cunning for facing her and planting the idea of joining the competition in her head.

“Yes, really.” Twilight replied with a nod. “Because like me she has what it takes to be a good leader and while primarily using her brains and intellect to her advantage regardless of whoever out-muscles and outsizes her and not be viewed as a harmless princess.” She said as they made it to the top of the mountain where they donned separate rock disguises as they see Spike and Ember make their way through the skies no problem by working together and made their way to the top at the same time both Twilight and Rarity made it up just as they see two dragons coming outside of the cave they just went inside all burnt up by a flaming dragon’s fire breath inside.

“Burned!” Twilight remarked and laughed at the two defeated dragons.

“Oh, that looks scary! I mean, you can do it!” Rarity remarked then corrected herself.

“Listen, Spike. I wouldn't have made it this far without you.” Ember gratefully voiced her thanks to him. “So I guess, if you want to, we could keep working together. I mean, just until we get through that tunnel.” She warmly offered before dialing her smile back a little.

“Okay!” Spike eagerly agreed as the two ran inside together.

“We'll be right behind you!” Twilight whispered in their direction as they follow them.


They watched as Spike and Ember managed to easily navigate by the opening and closing rocks as Garble gets caught up and is just barely squeezing by.

Twilight then teleported herself and Rarity through each obstacle as they kept pace with Spike and Ember who are now dodging crystal trying to strike them down to which Spike saved Ember from getting impaled by one of them. Garble with smug confident follows behind but not without getting struck by one of the crystals before she teleports herself and Rarity to the end of the tunnel where Spike and Ember emerge unharmed

“Oh, you made it! Oh, we were so worried!” Rarity exclaimed in relief.

“About us? That tunnel was cake!” Spike shrugged it off as it was nothing while fainting in relief.

“Wait. How did you two get through?” Ember questioned as rumbling from inside was heard to which Rarity lost her balance and nearly stumbled off of the cliff.

“Rarity!” Spike exclaimed as he quickly pulled her way from the edge of the cliff and to safety.

“Oh, thanks, Spike!” Rarity thanked him for saving her from being burnt to a crisp.

“It was nothing.” Spike repeated with a shrug.

“Nothing? You just risked everything to save her! And they're putting themselves in danger just to support you!” Ember expressed her disbelief that Spike is doing all of this without hesitation.

“Well, that's just what friends do. Don't you have anyone who looks out for you?” Spike answered with a shrug as it’s not out of the ordinary from Ponyville.

“Not really. Unless I count you.” Ember honestly replied before turning her tone into a more cold one. ”Which I don't! Because we were only helping each other get through the tunnel, and now we're through the tunnel, so that's it.”

“Wait, what do you mean?” Spike asked confused by what she had just said.

“Well, there's only one winner, one scepter, and one Dragon Lord. So I guess it's every dragon for themselves.” Ember answered as she points a finger in his face.

“Oh. So we aren't really friends?” Spike sadly replied taken aback by Ember brushing him off now that he’s helped her enough to the point the scepter is just a simple straightaway finish away and that she only accepted his help for her own benefit.

“Maybe if we were in Ponyland, but like I said, dragons don't do friendship.” Ember bluntly said as she flew off leaving Spike downcast.

“I can't believe Ember ditched me.” Spike said to her friends who are right behind her.

“Oh, you're better off. She was only looking out for herself. She's just like all the other dragons.” Rarity tried to comfort him saying it shouldn’t have come as a surprise.

“She's not, though. I know it.” Spike said as he however doesn’t buy it as he briefly stopped to turn to face them. “She saved me, even when she didn't have to. I don't care what she says. That makes us friends.”

“Exactly!” Twilight encouragingly told him as they continued forward. “She just hasn’t allowed it into her heart after being pushed away and treated like she is a joke to everyone. From past experience I can relate.”

“Is that why you vouched to help her from the beginning?” Spike asked.

“Yes, Spike.” Twilight confirmed. “Because she is doing what no other dragon thinks to do by using her brains to her advantage instead of just charging in with brute force.”

“Much like what you did to take over Equestria?” Spike figured out as Twilight nods as she focuses on their surroundings.

“Is it just me, or have we seen this crevasse three times already?” Twilight asked.

“It's kinda hard to tell. They all look the same.” Spike said as he observes the place before pointing to one in a different direction. “Except for this one! Look!” Spike happily said as he ran ahead to the place where the Gauntlet is being held. “We made it! I can't believe I'm the only dragon to make it this far!” He said feeling very accomplished.

“You're not!” Garble called out from behind with fuming anger. “And I'm not losing to a puny pony-loving dragon like you!” He added as he pointed a finger in Spike’s face and grabbed him by the top scales.

“We have to do something!” Rarity exclaimed in horror as Grable prepares to throw him to his death from below.

“Already on it!” Twilight said as she narrowed her eyes in Garble’s direction and then charged at him and tackled him causing him to drop Spike and fall from a great height.

But before he could hit the ground Ember swooped in and caught him.

“Ember! I thought it was every dragon for themselves! Why did you save me?!” Spike happily told her in relief of being rescued in time.

“That's what friends do! And I am. I mean, we are.” Ember honestly spoke from her heart again. “I never should have left you back there.” She further said as she struggled to keep her steely composure. “Agh, please don't make me talk about my feelings!”

“What the?! “ Garble spoke in surprise seeing Twilight and Rarity out of their disguises while struggling to free himself from Twilight’s grasp.

“Spike! Get the scepter!” Ember told Spike as he ran off to do so while Ember helps Twilight deal with Garble who breaks free from her grasp and then throws her towards Rarity before trying to back her and Rarity onto the edge of the cliff only for Twilight to simply fire a beam of magic at him and then toss him up into the air to which Ember uses the opening to tackle and pin him to the wall.

Garble then sees Spike running off in the scepter’s direction and then breaks free from Ember’s pin before charging after Spike. But before he could attack Spike he was suddenly tackled by Twilight who then throws some punches onto Garble’s face before he then grabbed Twilight by the neck and reversed the pin. Twilight then counter-attacks by kneeing him in the ribs then landing another punch to the face as she flips the pin back onto to him while know twisting his right arm for good measure with using her back hooves to lock up his left hoof.

Ember then joins in placing Garble in a head lock to further restrain him to buy Spike more time.

However, Spike wasn’t going to stand by and let Garble try to harm his new friend and the pony who is protecting him like any mother would do by tackling Garble on the head to which he frustratingly shakes him off to the edge of the cliff

“I'm sick and tired of you three helping each other! Dragons don't do helping! Ponies don’t do helping!” Garble angrily told Ember and Twilight as he struggles to break free.

"Well these ponies do!" Twilight retorted in response.

“These dragons do!” Ember also retorted as Twilight hopped released her hold on Garble as Ember tosses Garble over her shoulders to slam him hard onto the ground leaving him defeated as both Twilight and Ember proudly smile at each other and exchange a hoof-fist bump as the former helps Spike up from the ledge with her magic before quickly putting her and Rarity’s disguises back on when they hear the other dragons arriving.

Spike climbs up the rock formation leading up to the scepter before he grabs ahold of it as he marvels in amazement of it. As soon as he grabs it and hold it up it releases a huge a huge burst of red magic through the Dragon Lands.

“Leave her alone!” Spike shouted to Garble who was sneaking up to attack Ember from behind.

“What? You?! You have the scepter?!” Garble spoke in confusion unable to comprehend all of this. “But that means that you're...”

“The Dragon Lord. Dragon Lord Spike.” Ember finished as she and the other dragons placed a hand on their hearts as they bow in respect to him.

“Dragon... Lord... Spike...” Garble reluctantly bowed with a groan.

“That's right!” Spike confidently said before giving them a command. “Uh... Now, go start your long journey home. And give every dragon you see on the way a hug. Don't tell them why.”

“Awww! But that'll be super embarrassing!” Garble protested.

“I command you to do it!” Spike again ordered him to which he reluctantly does so to a nearby huge blue dragon.

“I can't believe this...” He grumbled before setting off home.

“Dragon Lord Spike. Hm, has a nice ring to it.” Ember complimented as he walked up to her.

“Dragon Lord Ember sounds a lot better.” Spike told her as he held her the scepter.

“What? No. You're the Dragon Lord now.” Ember tried to decline.

“The Dragon Lord is whoever brings the scepter back to your father!” Spike insisted. “Besides, you'll make a great leader. I was just doing this to protect the ponies. But I know you'll protect them just as well as I would have.”

“You sure about this?” Ember questioned him.

“Absolutely. My home is in Equestria with my friends.” Spike assured her yes in response.

“Well, you'll have at least one friend here too.” Spike happily responds by hugging her. “What are you doing?” She asked in confusion by his gesture.

“It's called a hug!” Spike answered.

“Oh. I don't know if I like it. But... okay.” Ember somewhat awkwardly answers but accepts as Spike tights his hug as Ember pats him on the head while blushing.

“Awww!” Twilight said touched by Spike’s gestures and actions. “I’m so proud of him!” She shared in a whisper to Rarity who also adores the heartwarming scene too.


Later as the dragons all made their way back, Twilight flying with Rarity and Spike in tow flies over to watch from afar as Ember presents her father the scepter in hands.

“Ember? You?!” The Dragon Lord spoke in surprise to see her come out on top of the challenge as he had not expected her to win at all.

“I know you didn't think I could do it, but I did.” Ember responded while standing her ground against her father.

“I expressly told you not to do it, because you're not—!” The Dragon Lord tried to protest only to be cut off.

“I'm not big and strong. I know. But you know what? I won anyway. So maybe it takes more than just being big and strong to be a good Dragon Lord!” Ember further defended herself as she continued to stand up to him.

“Exactly!” Twilight said while watching the scene from afar as she completely agrees with her there.

“I was wrong, Ember.” The Dragon Lord admitted after swallowing his pride. “You might not be big, but you are strong and smart, and perhaps that counts for more than I thought. And you will make an excellent leader.” He then smiled as she flew up to his nose.

“Thanks, dad.” Ember greatly appreciated what her father said before turning to the other dragons. “Agree with him!” She commanded as they look at each other surprised. “Just kidding! That's not gonna be my thing.” Ember jokingly assured them she was just messing with them as her father laughs in amusement.

“Dragons, hear me! I present to you our new Dragon Lord, Ember!” The Dragon Lord presented their new official leader as every dragon cheers for her as she flies up and waves to everyone including Twilight, Rarity, and Spike from afar.

“Hm? What is the meaning of this?!” The Dragon Lord asked in confusion as Garble clings onto the Dragon Lord’s nose.

“I can't tell you!” Garble replied in embarrassment as Ember laughs at him.

“You did well, Spike. With Ember as Dragon Lord, the ponies will be safe and you've gained us a powerful ally.” Twilight told Spike as they set forward back to Ponyville. “I’m very proud of you.” She complimented him as she levitated him in for a hug to which Spike happily returns.

“Not as much as proud I am for you being able to take down Garble!” Spike returned the compliment. “Sometimes I keep forgetting of how awesomely skilled of fighting you are.”

“Well, I did have had some time to myself. So that helps, especially when you’re pulling strings and gearing up for taking over Equestria another thing that me and Ember share in common together.” Twilight responded as he thought nothing of it as Spike hugged Twilight tighter.

“You know how much you love me!” Spike added as they broke apart from the embrace. “Especially since it means making a new friend outside of Equestria.”

“Plus, Ember said I could write to her anytime I had questions about dragon culture! With this much information, I'll be able to write a whole book on dragons!” Twilight then spoke in excitement for what bright future awaits for them.

“And I gained tons of ideas for a new line of camouflage clothing!” Rarity added she has new fashion ideas. “I think I'll call it "Camo-Maud"!”

“Much like Pinkie’s sister.” Twilight noted as the name remind everyone of Pinkie’s stoic sister as they all laugh as they all walk home while the sun is setting now that they have a new ally to rely on in the future.

Author's Note:

In this breather episode following the rise of Midnight we have Twilight and Rarity accompanying Spike to the Dragon Lands where the new dragon lord will chosen after being the first to successfully reach the titled gauntlet.

What's different here is Twilight is the one to plant the idea of competing into Ember's head knowing that she and Spike will meet up later where the two will work together into reaching the Gauntlet first. In addition, to further cement the mother-son like bond Twilight and Spike rewritten the earlier bit to show that Twilight really cares for Spike putting his needs first.

Adding on to that I have also written where Twilight actually fights back against Garble and even burning his bottom when he sat on Spike's special rock because of course I felt thought should have been more than capable handling him toe to toe rather than being backed up into a corner waiting to be rescued. Especially, since she was able to go toe-to-toe with Princess Celestia and be able to drop down huge creatures with little effort.

As for the Twilight and Ember friendship, she too saw they had common ground since they both want what is best for everyone and primarily use their brains and intellect to overcome any obstacle thrown at them which is the main reason why she was quick to help Ember after seeing her argument with her father for dismissing her as someone just because she lacks the size and strength other dragons had. Especially considering Twilight from past experience was capable of taking over Equestria with mostly her intellect and well-thought out planning and execution compared to other villains before and after her.

Next up "No Second Prances." as Twilight deals with Starlight's new friend Trixie, a pony she hasn't seen since "Magic Duel." back when she was Midnight who she treated as a pawn in her game to take over Equestria all to get her to retrieve the Alicorn Amulet so she could become and control her form as Midnight Sparkle. Having said that, like many other fanfics this will require some heavy revising as the episode stands as one of the divisive episodes of Season 6.

So anyways enjoy for now.

PreviousChapters Next