• Published 27th Feb 2020
  • 4,427 Views, 207 Comments

Light and Dark: Road to Redemption - MXCDarkHorse2020



Twilight Sparkle, now the Princess of Friendship, focuses on proving to everypony through the adventures of Season 5 of Friendship is Magic onwards that she truly has redeemed herself for her past actions as Midnight Sparkle.

  • ...
9
 207
 4,427

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 71: Legend of Everfree Part One

Chapter 71:

Legend of the Everfree Part One

At the top of Mount Aris, Princess Twilight was up looking up at the sky with a stoic expression as she is waiting for something or someone. She wasn’t feeling happy after learning that the other element bearers, her brother, and mentor have all knew that she was slipping into her old ways and none of them told her sooner. It took having them talk about it behind her back along with some secret aid from Midnight to figure out their lies along with her sister-in-law Cadance crying her heart out to tell her.

Twilight was furious to the point she turned into Midnight in the heat of the moment and it took her niece Flurry Heart to snap her out of it. Twilight managed to calm herself down but not without coldly disowning them for their dishonesty and betrayed trust and friendship expect for Starlight, Sunset, and Tempest since they all were trying to tell her but because of random interruptions weren’t able to get the chance to tell her.

The three mares hoping Twilight hadn’t done anything else yet all made their way to the top of the mountain where they saw Twilight looking out to the nighttime sky and moon on the horizon. And as luck would have it, Twilight hasn’t flown away yet or better yet tried to engage against Midnight on her own again.

“Twilight!” Starlight was the first to call out to her upon spotting her. “Please don’t do this!”

“If you’re trying to talk me into making up with them don’t try.” Twilight refused as she still looked out towards the horizon. “And as for facing Midnight herself, I have no choice. The longer we wait the more land she and her forces are going to take over.”

“We’re not asking you to forgive them.” Tempest clarified. “We’re asking you to stop yourself from doing something rash.”

“Equestria can’t afford to lose you again!” Sunset also tried to reach out to her as they all approached her.

“I was able to defeat her on her own and if it means doing it again while saving Equestria then so be it.” Twilight declared that she is going through with it no matter what the cost.

“But Twilight…” Starlight again pleaded as she placed her hooves on her shoulders. “Yes you did defeat her, but she also nearly killed you three times already!”

“Don’t forget the fire of the Castle of the Two Sisters along with her takeover of the Crystal Empire.” Twilight pointed out with an unimpressed expression. “So it’s five times.”

“Okay, five times.” Starlight went along with the correction for her sake. “But point being if it weren’t for your friends being there for you, you would have died right there and then.”

“Trying to fight Midnight alone isn’t going to work.” Tempest asserted that doing so is a really bad idea.

“It has to. There is no other choice. No other pony who can go toe-to-toe with her.” Twilight is adamant as she spreads her wings preparing to head by to Canterlot.

“You're not thinking straight.” Tempest bluntly replied as she readies herself to pounce on her if try tries to fly away.

“I am!” Twilight assertively said as flapped her wings to take off.

“You’re not!” Tempest asserted as she pounces on Twilight to stop her.

“I am!” Twilight said as she pulled her wings off of Tempest’s grasp.

“No!” Tempest refused to let go of her grasp on Twilight.

“Yes I am!” Twilight said as she swung her back leg at Tempest who easily back flipped as the two sparred hooves with each other.

“I have seen Midnight too! I also spent time with her!” Tempest said as she tried to restrain Twilight. “I’ve seen what she can do!”

“I used to be like her!” Twilight retorted as she grabbed Tempest’s wrist and forced her to the ground. “So I would know from past experience of what she can do.”

Tempest quickly reversed the pin as she twisted Twilight’s wrist to get her to come to her senses.

“She also has an army consisting of all of Equestria’s most dangerous enemies who helped her take over Equestria in case you haven't noticed.” Tempest reminded her of their last two confrontations with her. “And considering Sombra attacked while you were completely focused on Midnight she pretty much has every corner and option you could think of blocked off. You will never be able to get the drop on her even if you think like her if she can stay a step ahead of you at every turn.”

“Not if I think of the right angle to catch her off guard.” Twilight replied as she forced Tempest off of her with her kick.

“Don’t you see?!” Tempest further pressed her as the two continued trading hoofs with each other. “You’re doing exactly what Midnight wants you do too. She wants you forgo friendship all together again to groom you as her successor!”

“Like that matters!” Twilight still refuses to back off as the two glared at each other. “After all of the lies they told me! They knew what was going on and they still refused to tell me that I was honestly acting this way.”

“But you’re still a pony just like me.” Tempest reminded her of what she said to her in the past before getting pinned down to the ground by the alicorn after dodging her last blast of magic nearly hitting her and nearly startling Starlight and Sunset.

“I’m nothing like you!” Twilight responded with a repressed tone of anger. “I’m more than you’ll ever be!”

“Twilight! Please Stop!” Sunset immediately came to Tempest’s defense as she ran up to face her before Twilight could take down the stunned Tempest. “This isn’t you!”

“Sunset…” Twilight crossly warned her. “This is between me and Tempest!”

“Twilight, please…” Starlight also joined Sunset while getting Twilight to back off of Tempest. “Remember Flurry Heart, Cadance, and Spike.” She pleaded with a mirror she conjured with her magic to show her. “Remember the love they gave you after everything you have done.”

Twilight seeing these reflections of the three and again being reminded of the good inside of her, calmed herself down and folded her wings and canceled the aura around her horn.

“Just please let me do this.” Twilight still insisted on going through with all of this. “I don’t want to risk you all because of me.”

“Okay fine.” Sunset relented before asking... “But before you do can you please do me a favor?”

“What kind of favor?” Twilight suspiciously wondered of what she had in mind.

“Ever since the Friendship Games, the Twilight there is too struggling with herself.” Sunset began. “She is being peer-pressured into doing things their way.”

“Really?” Twilight asked with surprise to hear that her human counterpart is a doormat. “Like Fluttershy?”

“I’m afraid so.” Sunset honestly answered. “And she is too afraid to join us for a camping trip we were supposed to go on together before I arrived here. So could you help watch over her and help make sure she is okay during this camping trip please?”

“Well...” Twilight began her thoughts as she pondered the idea of seeing her human counterpart. “Because that girl could definitely use some bravery lessons from a princess and I can definitely make sure no one lays a hand on her while I’m there.” She said with determination expression. “All right. I’ll come with you on your camping trip with the girls.”

Sunset smiled hearing this as she finally was able to get her to go to her vacation as she give Starlight and Tempest knowing winks.

“Thanks, Twilight.” Sunset smiled warmly. “And you wouldn’t mind if Starlight and Tempest came along too? We could use their help as well.”

“Not at all.” Twilight kindly replied as the four ponies went back to Seaquestria to gather their belongings they need for a camping trip before Twilight uses her knowledge to recreate the portal to the human world again.


“You girls ready?” Twilight asked the others with their camping equipment in their saddle bags on their backs.

“Uh-huh.” Starlight and Sunset replied in agreement as Starlight secretly thinks to herself "Even though I hate camping." with Tempest looking a little wary of the idea of traveling into another world but was willing to come along for the ride since she still holds the burden of inadvertently driving Twilight into falling down the same dark path she did just like Midnight wanted her to do complete with the scar on her face as Twilight, Sunset, and Starlight in that order go through the portal as Cadance and Spike see them off as Tempest takes a deep breath before pressing forward through the portal.

“Good luck!” Spike called out to the girls while waving goodbye.

“Be safe!” Cadance called out while also waving goodbye.

"Come back toon!" Grubber also called out while waving goodbye.


The four enter through the other side of the portal where Starlight still has the same clothes she previously wore the last time while carrying a green suitcase with her cutie mark insignia on the she was here while Sunset donned a purple and white sleeved shirt with gray camping shorts and her cutie mark as a belt buckle on her dark red belt while carrying a yellow suitcase with a purple stripe on it.

Twilight in contrast to her previous visits had darker skin, black hair while still keeping the pink streaks while wearing a black sleeveless tank top shirt with her pink cutie mark insignia on the front with black pants, belt with a pink star belt buckle, socks, and boots fitting for a tough girl about to embark on a camping trip.

Tempest also had the same black outfit and clothes similar to Twilight’s outfit while sporting long violet red hair like her mane and with Twilight’s help was able to adjust to her new appearance after a little dizzy like entrance through the portal.

“Whoa!” Tempest remarked in surprise seeing she has fingers in place of hooves and is walking on two feet. “This is strange!”

“It’s okay.” Sunset assured her. “It takes time to get used to and believe us when we tell you from our first experiences.”

“Just follow our lead and you’ll be fine, okay?” Twilight added as she placed a hand on her shoulder to which Tempest agreed as she grabbed a hairpin from her pocket as she ties her hair back into a kept together bun.

“All right.” Tempest agreed as she began to walk as Twilight helps her through each step until she could do it on her own. “Although this is going to take some time to get used to.”

“Let’s go meet up with the others.” Sunset began leading the way back to the human Mane Six’s houses where they would meet up with Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash at the bus stop as all of the other campers are all dressed up and ready for the trip all wearing slightly different clothes that have the same colors of the outfits they usually wear such as t-shirts and camping shorts like Applejack, Rarity, Human Twilight, Pinkie (as she wore a tank-top like Princess Twilight and Tempest), jeans (for Rainbow), and a camping-styled skirt like Fluttershy.

“TWILIGHT!” The girls eagerly greeted her with hugs catching the princess by surprise upon seeing her.

“Oh hey.” Twilight said with a nervous smile as she is still uncomfortable being around her friends even if there are their human counterparts who had nothing to do with what happened back in the other world.

“Everything okay, darling?” Rarity asked taking note of her troubled expression.

“Yes. Just a little caught off-guard.” Twilight replied to assure her as Rarity’s human counterpart marvels at her new outfit.

“So am I.” Rarity remarked as she took a look at her getup. “That new get up of yours sure is looking very bad.”

“I know it’s so you.” Rainbow agreed liking her bad girl approach seeing her long black hair with her matching clothes. “And so fitting to kick butt at an awesome camping trip!”

“Good to see you again Starlight!” Applejack greeted Starlight with a hug.

“Good to see you too.” Starlight kindly returned.

“How has your lessons under Princess Twilight been going?” Applejack asked.

“Going good, just waiting for a definite graduation date.” Starlight replied as Twilight could only return an apologetic look in return as Pinkie eyes their new companion.

“Oooh!” Pinkie said as she got in Tempest’s personal space. “And I see you have and brought a new girlfriend!”

Hearing this caused Twilight and Tempest to blush in embarrassment as they both had the same black clothes and shoes.

“She’s not my girlfriend!” Both girls said in completely flustered unison by that comment.

Pinkie just giggled in response finding the moment very funny while truthfully just messing with them.

“Of course not! I was just messing with you both!” Pinkie giggled at the two embarrassed girls as they quickly regain their stoic composure.

“We’re just here to join you girls on a hopefully and much needed vacation.” Twilight calmly replied as she looks around noticing someone was missing. “Speaking of which where is the Twilight who is said to be accompanying you girls on this trip?”

“I don’t know?” Applejack answered as she looked around. “Honestly and now that you mention it, she should have met up with us here by now?”

“That’s weird?” Twilight answered with surprise. “For her to be here late. Has she been doing okay?”

“She’s been doing fine.” Applejack replied. “But she is rather uncomfortable being around people and just awkwardly shy, kind of like Fluttershy, but not quite as much as a doormat as her. No offense.” She quickly said the last part to Fluttershy.

“None taken.” Fluttershy took it in stride. “She hasn’t had quite a happy life before moving here and still hasn’t really come out of her shell since the Friendship Games incident.”

“Really? That bad, huh?” Twilight asked in surprise hearing this. “I have heard about the Midnight Sparkle incident.”

“Yeah.” Fluttershy agreed feeling sorry for her. “We were hoping this camping trip could help lift her spirits and help bond with us more. But it seems her self-esteem is still very low with what has happened back then.”

“We should probably head on over to her house and get her because the bus should be here soon.” Twilight recommended everyone.

“Yeah, the bus should be any minute leaving us only thirty minutes until they leave for our trip.” Sunset also mentioned as she led the way. “Let’s go!”

“I’m here.” Human Twilight called out as she ran up to them. “Sorry I’m late!”

“No worries.” Sunset assured her. “You arrived just in time!” She said as the buses pulled up on cue.

“Oh thank goodness!” Human Twilight said in relief before seeing her pony counterpart in the flesh with her dark clothes and skins leaving the awkward girl’s heart to jump a beat upon seeing as if she is seeing Midnight in her. “Who’s that?!” She asked pointing towards her pony counterpart’s direction.

“It’s all right. It’s just me from another world.” Twilight calmly assured her as she tried to approach her. “I’m Princess Twilight Sparkle. Nice to meet you.” She offered her hand for handshake only for her human counterpart to tremble and back away slowly from her confusing her alternate self by this gesture.

“Okay.” The princess responded taken aback by this while still sporting a friendly smile. “Don’t worry. No need to be frightened. I know this is awkward and weird for both Twilight’s to be here in person in the same world. But don’t worry I think we can be able to tell whose who by our outfits and appearances.” She said as she showed her new outfit.

“Yeah!” Pinkie immediately agreed. “And we can refer to her as princess.”

“Well, normally I prefer to be called just Twilight...” The humble princess spoke though truthfully for once did not find herself objecting to Pinkie’s suggestion. “…But I’m willing to make an exception in this case for her sake. Okay...?”

“Okay…” Human Twilight nervously replied as the buses opened its doors as she was the first to board the bus wanting to get away from her in her haste.

“Wow.” Princess Twilight could only say in response very surprised of how bad it really was. “She sure is still shaken up.”

“Yeah I know.” Sunset said in agreement as they all got on the bus one by one. “She just needs some more time to get adjusted to all of this.”

“Did I come by at a bad time?” Twilight asked the others feeling she might have scared her human counterpart to death.

“Of course not!” Applejack immediately shot it down. “We’re all very excited and pleased you were able to come. It’s just been a while since we last saw you.”

“Totally agreed!” Rainbow returned as she holds nothing against her. “You’re going have a blast at this camping trip. I can’t wait to be able to compete with you in the upcoming events they have to offer.”

“Well as long as we keep it friendly, I’m game.” Twilight chuckled in amusement as the other join her as they take their seats.

As the girls board the bus, Sunset winks at Tempest and Starlight as her plan is in motion.


Once everyone attending the trip are all on the buses they all set forward on their ride to the camp.

As everyone is talking amongst themselves, Human Twilight has fallen asleep as she moans and groans to herself catching her friend’s attention one by one as she talks in her sleep.

“No... It can't be...! It isn't true...!” Human Twilight said in her sleep.


“Um, Twilight?” Fluttershy somewhat quietly called out to her to which Spike woke up and barked in excitement upon hearing her as Twilight started to wake up.

“Twilight! The bus for Camp Everfree leaves in ten minutes!” Rainbow called out in a much louder tone to get her attention.

“Oh, no-no-no-no-no! I can't believe I overslept!” Human Twilight said in alarm as she put on her glasses as Spike opens the door for her friends.

“Me neither. That's not like you.” Sunset said feeling a little worried for her well-being.

“I know!” Twilight said in agreement as she frantically tries to get her stuff all gathered together.

“Don't you have a super-annoying alarm clock that goes…” Pinkie asked as she imitated an alarm clock buzzer before discovering said alarm clock with the time of 6:04 AM under her pillow to which Sunset turns off the alarm after pressing the button.

“It's gonna be fine. We'll help you pack.” Sunset assured Human Twilight as she picked up one of her suitcases as she opens it up for their friends to help put what her friend is going to need for the trip as Spike happily pants as Rarity pulls up a dress similar to what her princess counterpart wore at the Fall Formal during her first visit to the human world earning Applejack’s dismay in the process as she sighed.

“We're gonna be out in the woods. When is she gonna need that?” Applejack asked sounding very annoyed.

“If we were going to the moon, I'd insist she packed an evening gown. One never knows, darling.” Rarity explained why she feels the need it must be packed.

“Lemme just get changed.” Human Twilight said very grateful for her friends’ kindness as she pulls out a t-shirt to change to as she looks at herself in the mirror and she’s her literal dark reflection appearing right behind her and in the room.

“Midnight Sparkle?!” Everyone exclaimed in shock.

“How is this possible? Sunset Shimmer helped me defeat you at the Friendship Games!” Human Twilight exclaimed in shock upon seeing her.

“You and your friends can never truly defeat me!” Midnight scoffed as she maniacally laughed while erasing her friend’s from existence. “Midnight Sparkle's a part of you!” She told her scared counterpart as she tried to reach her from the mirror before changing the reality around them. “I'll always be there waiting in the darkest shadows of your mind! I'll be back, Twilight! And this time, I won't stop until I have all the magic!”

“No! Stop!” Human Twilight screamed as Midnight forced herself inside of her.


“Twilight, wake up!” Spike quickly calmed her down and snapped her out of the dream that she was just having.

“We can't stop, silly! We're not there yet!” Pinkie replied unaware she wasn’t talking about their bus ride much to Princess Twilight’s annoyance.

“Hey, are you okay?” Sunset asked Human Twilight out of concern for her since she was heavily breathing after having another PTSD nightmare.

“Heh. I'm fine.” Human Twilight lied through her teeth with a fake smile as both Sunset and her princess counterpart both look on unconvinced before trying to voice their thoughts until Pinkie spoke up.

“We are gonna have so much fun! We're gonna roast marshmallows and eat marshmallows and sleep on marshmallow pillows!” Pinkie exclaimed in excitement.

“Yeah, probably not gonna do that.” Rainbow immediately shot it down while secretly finding it funny.

“Maybe you're not.” Pinkie returned taking no offense to it at all.

“And exactly how do you propose you’re going to do that?” The princess curiously questioned the possibility of that happening to which Pinkie simply responded as she held up a pillow shaped bag filled with marshmallows. “Never mind. Forget I asked." She said to herself as she and Tempest both share incredulous looks of how she is able to do it. But then again it's Pinkie Pie they're dealing with. With her anything's possible.

"Even here I can never make complete sense of Pinkie logic.” She whispered to Tempest as she crossed her legs as Tempest did the same before the school principal wearing a purple camping shirt and skirt accompanied with a yellow ascot, orange badge sash with long yellow socks and tan gray camping shoes sitting up at the front seat along with Luna sitting on the opposite side called out to the passengers while wearing a purple camping shirt, dark blue short shorts, with long purple socks, a purple ascot, blue shoes, and a purple and white sports cap on her head.

“Attention, students, we're almost there. But before we arrive, we just wanted to say how proud we are of you for raising enough money to go on this class field trip and how grateful we are that we have Princess Twilight Sparkle herself as the guest of honor for this trip.” Celestia announced to everyone to which everyone cheered for her to which the princess took the praise in humble stride.

“When we were your age, we made some of our favorite memories in these woods, and we're sure you will, too.” Luna also shared her words and thoughts.

“Now who's excited for Camp Everfree?!” She asked everyone on the bus who all cheered in excitement as Human Twilight looks around still nervous while her princess counterpart just looks on stoic and uninterested as Tempest only viewing being here for her and the princess’s safety upon Sunset’s wishes as their ride approaches the camp site as all of the students expect both Twilight’s, Sunset, Starlight, and Tempest all sing together to pass the time.

“Will you be lost by time or be part of history?

Will your story be told or remain a mystery?

Will they sing your song, telling all that you have done?

Time to make your choice, only you can be the one

Oh, oh, oh-oh-whoa

As you join in the Legend of Everfree! (Hey!)

Oh, oh, oh-oh-whoa

As you join in the Legend of Everfree! (Hey! Hey! Hey!)

Will you do something great with the time that you have here?

Will you make your mark? Will you conquer what you fear?

And when you go back home, everybody there will see

You were part of the Legend of Everfree!

Oh, oh, oh-oh-whoa

As you join in the Legend of Everfree! (Hey!)

Oh, oh, oh-oh-whoa

As you join in the Legend of Everfree! (Hey!)

Will you find your greatest glory?

Will you be a falling star?

Here to learn what nature teaches

Here to learn more who you are

Will you be lost by time or be part of history?

Will your story be told or remain a mystery?

And when you go back home, everybody there will see

You were part of the Legend of Everfree!

Oh, oh, oh-oh-whoa

As you join in the Legend of Everfree! (Hey!)

Oh, oh, oh-oh-whoa

As you join in the Legend of Everfree!

Hey!”


By the time everyone was done singing, the bus had just arrived at their destination allowing everyone to get off and admire the scenery.

“Isn't Camp Everfree just beautiful?” Fluttershy asked Spike wearing a blue camping cap on his head. “I can't wait until we have our first nature walk.”

“I definitely wanna go on one of those.” Spike said as he pants happily and eagerly.

“You wanna see all the adorable woodland creatures, too?” Fluttershy asked wondering if he too is on board with her idea of nature walk.

“Yeah!” Spike immediately agreed. “Specifically squirrels. More specifically, so I can chase 'em!” He then barked and panted as he looks forward to doing so.

“I'm just lookin' forward to roughin' it.” Applejack voiced her excitement as she carefully pulled out her bag from the bus. “I'm gonna make my own shelter, forage for food...”

“Uh, you know they provide us with food and tents, right?” Rainbow reminded her as she walked by.

“Yup! Still gonna forage though.” Applejack acknowledged but still plans on doing so.

“I'm just after some R&R.” Rarity commented as she stood beside her large pile of luggage. “The past year has all been a bit too much for my tastes.”

“I'll say!” Pinkie returned in agreement as she caught Human Twilight and Sunset’s attention. “We fought three evil sirens who tried to hypnotize everybody with their singing, one ridiculously competitive rival school, and two demon friends Uh, heh-heh, no offense.” She quickly added to both of them as Sunset took it in stride while Human Twilight looked away in shame.

“None taken.” Sunset shrugged it off as she turned Human Twilight with a hand on her shoulder. “You'll get used to it.” She told her to which she forced a silent giggle in response.

“Yep. Canterlot High has become a regular magic magnet.” Applejack voiced her thoughts to a nice relaxing vacation as Princess Twilight, Starlight, and Tempest join them. “Gonna be nice gettin' away to a place where we don't have to worry about that kinda stuff.”

At that moment Flash shows up with Human Twilight’s backpack as Princess Twilight sports a small smile seeing him again.

“Here you go, Twilight.” Flash offered her to which she gratefully accepted.

“Thanks. It's... Flash, right?” Human Twilight asked if she remembered it right.

“Yup, that's me!” Flash replied. “And you're you. And we don't know each other very well.” He then trailed off in his words. “Cool story, bro.”

“Right. I guess I'll... see you around.” Human Twilight waved him off as they both share awkward smiles as he walks by Princess Twilight.

“Hey.” The princess counterpart greeted with a hand wave.

“Yeah, hey.” Flash just said not even paying attention to her much to the girl’s surprise as her human counterpart gives her an apologetic look while too wondering what had just happened.

“That was weird?” Princess Twilight commented in surprise.

“Maybe he just didn’t recognize you with your new makeover.” Starlight theorized.

“That could be it.” Sunset agreed with that assessment. “And in case if you’re wondering, Flash kinda has a thing for her or at least when they first met.”

“Oh.” Human Twilight said in surprise and sympathy for her princess counterpart who looks a little dejected from his brush off gesture as a voice from a mega-phone calls out to the campers.

“Hey, everyone! If you could start heading to the courtyard, that would be rad! It's time to start the best week of camp ever!”


Everyone then made their way to the gazebo where a woman wearing yellow shirt with blue camping shorts, violet hair and matching skin, green eyes, and sunflowers in her hair speaks into the microphone.

“Hi, everyone! Welcome to Camp Everfree! I'm Gloriosa Daisy, your camp director!” The woman introduced herself. “Think of me as your friendly camp and nature guide. And this is my brother, Timber Spruce!” She introduced everyone to the man with green hair, cargo shorts, with a red t-shirt and a gray cap standing next to her.

“Think of me as that awesome guy... who should always be invited to fun things.” Timber told the campers as he took control of the microphone and tossed it from his right to left hand before handing it back to his sister.

“We aim to please, so before we hand out our tent assignments, we'd like to hear from all of you. You're free to do whatever you like here.” Gloriosa essentially allowed them free-range of the camp.

“Uh, except hike near the rock quarry. That's off-limits.” Her brother quickly added.

“Y-Yes, but otherwise, your options are wide open.” Gloriosa continued to press forward to keep her announcement on track. “So what activities will make this the very best week of your lives ever?”

“Ooh! Rock climbing!” Rainbow asked with a raised hand.

“Done!”

“Archery!” Rainbow again asked.

“Of course!”

“Tetherball!” Rainbow again asked before being pulled aside by Sunset.

“Naturally!”

“Rainbow, I know you're excited, but maybe give somebody else a chance to make a suggestion.” Sunset advised Rainbow as Bulk Biceps raises a hand.

“Arts and crafts!” He asked. “My mom... needs new pot holders.” He then said to Flash and his other friends in a somewhat embarrassed tone.

“I'll supply the looms!”

“Cookie decorating!” Pinkie asked as she licked her lips at the thought.

“Ooh, I do make a mean sugar cookie.” Gloriosa immediately liked the idea as she turned to Fluttershy.

“Early morning nature walks?” She asked.

“With walking sticks for everyone!” Gloriosa kindly replied as she turned to Rarity calling out to her.

“Ooh! Me! Oh, uh... a fashion show!“ Rarity suggested as Princess Twilight giggles to herself as Starlight and Sunset give her knowing smiles as she quickly changes her expression into her stoic expression. “Where I design the most fabulous camp looks inspired by today's hottest trends and have them modeled by my classmates in a gorgeous outdoor setting!”

“A camp tradition!” Glorissa replied without any disagreements in contrast to her brother who whispers to her in objection.

“We have literally never done that.” He tried to tell her to which her sister immediately shrugged it off.

“I'll be taking requests the rest of the time you're here, so if there's anything you'd like to do, anything you need, just ask.”

During this Timber looks on over to Human Twilight who blushes in response to which Pinkie and Sunset silently giggle upon seeing the crush exchange.

“What about the camp gift?” Celestia asked as she brought it up while sitting on one of the nearby picnic benches with Luna standing beside her. “That was my favorite Camp Everfree tradition.”

“The camp gift! Of course!” Glorissa replied immediately.

“Really?” Timber whispered to his sister in a “are you kidding” tone.

“Yes, really.” Gloriosa whispered back very irritably.

“Well, I just thought—“ Timber whispered back.

“Then you thought wrong!” Gloriosa whispered back with a forced smile in front of the campers to avoid anyone picking up on their little squabble.

“Anyone else picking up on a little tension between Gloriosa and her brother?” Sunset asked both Twilight’s, Pinkie, Starlight, and Tempest.

“Ehhh...” Both Human Twilight and Pinkie said together as they have a hard time seeing in in contrast to the other three girls.

“I do.” Princess Twilight immediately spoke to confirm it.

“Me too.” Starlight also agreed without second thought.

“No surprise there.” Tempest dully remarked in agreement.

“Every year, campers work together to create something useful. A gift for future campers. Working toward this common goal is key to forming the strong bonds that will last well beyond your time here at camp!” Gloriosa further announced to the campers before covering the microphone briefly to address Timber. “Which is why it's so important.“ She whispered with gritted teeth before speaking into the microphone again. “This gazebo was a gift from last year's group. Oh, oh, oh, and the totem pole and the sundial were also made by campers!” She then pointed to the said created statues and buildings standing around them.

“The sundial was our year's gift!” Celestia brought up as Luna coughed to voice her objections to the creation.

“Even though "some people" thought it was a little impractical, since the sundial can't be used at night.” Luna voiced her annoyed disagreement with crossed arms as if it was all more her older sister's idea while Gloriosa continues to keep the positive mood flowing here today.

“You all seem like a-a really amazing group. So I'm certain you'll come up with something inspiring to leave behind.” She then concluded her announcement as most of the campers cheered.

“Speaking of leaving things behind, now's the time when we give out tent assignments so you can leave your heavy bags behind.” Timber then said his sister gave a teasing shake of her head before walking over to the guys.

“Uh, girls will be getting their assignments from Timber. Guys, you're with me.” Gloriosa told the guys as her brother walks over to all of the girls with a bag of small slips with names on them so they can randomly pick out their tent assignments with Pinkie drawing her name first.

“Oh, boy! Hmm... Yay! I'm in the Emerald Tent!” Pinkie exclaimed in excitement as she pulled out a slip with a green jewel on it as Rarity went next.

“Ooh, me, too!” Rarity said as she pulled a slip with the same colored jewel on it too.

“Aquamarine.” Applejack said holding a slip with said-colored jewel on it.

“Me, too!” Rainbow immediately met up with the farm girl upon hearing this as the two girls cheered in excitement.

“Yee-hoo! “

“Oh, yeah!”

“I got Amethyst.” Fluttershy announced gaining the attention of the DJ girl who holds up the same slip leaving the two girls to exchange thumbs up seeing this.

"I got amber red." Starlight said holding up said card as Trixie joins by her side holding the same colored slip as Starlight with an eager smile. "Oh, no." She groaned in response upon learning who she is sharing a tent with. "And this is another reason why I hate camping." She said in an annoyed tone of voice.

“I got violet.” Twilight called out to which is met with Tempest holding up the same slip as her.

“Looks like our luck got cut out together, because that’s what I got too.” Tempest said in a deadpan tone as the girls both shrugged as it’s no big deal to them.

“Sapphire.” Sunset said as she looked at her slip.

“Me, too!” Human Twilight called out. “I mean, I'm assuming I am. Heh-heh. Technically, sapphires aren't just blue. Heh-heh. They can be pink, purple, yellow...”

“Yeah, but they're mostly blue.” Timber replied as she rambled. “That's why they're named after the Latin word sapphirus.”

Human Twilight gives him a knowing smile in response.

“That means "blue".” Timber whispered to her.

“I know.” Human Twilight acknowledged as she whispered back. “But did you know that sapphires are just rubies without chromium?”

“No.” Timber replied as she briefly held her card as the girl blushed in response. “But did you know that Sapphire Tent is the best one?”

“No. Why's that?” Human Twilight asked.

“Because you're in it.” Timber replied with an obvious answer.

“Oh, I bet you say that to all the campers.” Human Twilight replied with an amused expression as she takes back ahold of her slip.

“Not true.” He said as he turned to Bulk Biceps holding up a ruby jewel shape on his slip. “You're in the Ruby Tent? Ha! That's the worst one!”

“Aw, man!” The muscular man groaned.

“I'm just jokin', buddy.” He quickly assured him so he doesn’t feel put down by that comment. “Ruby Tent is great. It's like a sapphire but with chromium.”

Human Twilight giggled as the two share an awkward moment of silence.

“But the Ruby and Coral Tents do look an awful lot alike to the undiscerning eye. I better show you where it is.” Timber offered as he escorted him to his tent before briefly turning back to her. “See ya around.”

As Human Twilight turns away she sees her Sunset and all of the girls giggling behind her back as Princess Twilight gives her human counterpart a knowing smirk to let her know she is fully aware of her crush on the new guy.

“What?” Human Twilight asked in confusion.

“Heh. Nothin'.” Applejack answered.

“Ooh! That was adorable!” Rarity squeed as Gloriosa blows the whistle to get every campers attention again.

“Okay, everyone, go get settled in. We'll be meeting at the docks in fifteen minutes to go over some camp safety rules. Let me know if you need anything!” She announced and instructed everyone as a sharp dressed man pulls out of his limousine after it pulls into camp grounds.

“I did something.” The man resembling Filthy Rich said as he approaches Gloriosa.

“Filthy Rich! So nice to see you.” She told him with a forced smile before whispering in a demanding tone. “What are you doing here?! Camp is just getting started!”

“Just takin' in the scenery, Gloriosa Daisy. It's so... hmm... relaxin'.” Filthy replied in a mocking tone.

“Well, you can look around when camp is over. Now, if you don't mind...” Gloriosa politely yet firmly told him off as they both exchanged hardened glares at each other.

“Fine.” He relented as he had his limo drive away leaving both Twilight’s, Sunset, Tempest, and Starlight wondering what that was all about.

“Filthy Rich is, uh, an alumni of the camp. He likes to check on his old stomping grounds every now and again.” Gloriosa informed every curious pair of eyes watching on before getting things back on track again. ”But enough about him. Find your tents and put away your things. We've got the best week of camp ever to begin!”

Even though Princess Twilight along with Tempest both exchanges unconvinced glances towards each other with matching crossed arms they both just made their way to their tent without another word.


As Twilight and Tempest unpack their stuff into their belongings, Twilight took the opportunity to make a scary face with the flashlight hanging over her face to which both girls took a hearty chuckle at. “Oooooooooohhhh…” She said before turning off the flashlight.

“I’m not the only one who sees something off with that guy, Filthy Rich?” Tempest brought up putting their moment of amusement aside to bring the guy up.

“Yeah I know.” Twilight agreed as she thought to herself. “He’s up to something and it’s not like him back in Ponyville considering he helped fund the school there and spends as much free time as he can with her daughter Diamond Tiara when she is not visiting for the night.”

“That surely is unlike of his pony counterpart at all.” Tempest noted the differences between them really stand out.

“I know.” Twilight said in agreement.

“So you watched over his daughter back in Ponyville when her father can’t?” Tempest asked curious with the aforementioned fact she had just mentioned seconds ago.

“Ever since the day the Cutie Mark Crusaders brought this to my attention.” Twilight answered as she recalled the memory the young trio informed her of their new discovery of the just recently reformed filly. “After they informed me of what her mother has been putting her through, I resolved this by setting up daily tutoring sessions so that Diamond spends the time she would usually spend at her mother’s home at the castle instead either until Filthy can pick her up himself to take him to his home or spend the night under my care.“ She further added as she recalled the memory of leading Diamond away from school and to her castle in Ponyville and then after the fire to the Canterlot Castle.

“Really?” Tempest said in astonished surprise. “Were your friends excuse me…” She quickly corrected herself. “…former friends aware of this?”

“Yes they were.” Twilight answered not even bothering to comment on that. “And in a way I saw her as a daughter to me from all of the nights I allowed to her stay and sleep in. Something that she never had because of Spoiled Rich. Much like Cozy Glow.”

“The filly that’s Midnight’s daughter?” Tempest asked after seeing Twilight’s hurt and sad expression upon mentioning her. "Or at least adopted daughter." She quickly corrected herself again.

“Yes.” Twilight solemnly replied as she recalled spending time with Diamond and then later Cozy Glow. “I even tried to do the same with Cozy even before knowing that Midnight was raising her while secretly trying to get her to turn herself around with no luck seeing that Midnight has already done enough to buy her loyalty to her instead no matter how many friendship lessons and attempts I tried to reach out to her heart-to-heart.” She then said as she sees that Cozy has made up her mind on her loyalty to her arch-enemy in the past. “And like Diamond, I also saw her as a daughter too, only one that has lost herself to darkness at such a very young age.” She said as she recalls the heartbreak she felt from her betrayal as she sat down on her bed.

“I’m sorry to hear that.” Tempest sympathetically told her as she sat down beside her and placed a hand on her shoulder.

“Don’t be.” Twilight simply shrugged it off. “For it was my fault for attempting to try something that was completely futile from the beginning.”

Even though Twilight still had her good side opening up, it wasn’t enough for her to completely forget about the pain she suffered back then.

“If only Midnight hadn’t crossed paths with her then things for her would have been for the better.” Twilight could only say feeling sorry that she couldn’t be saved.

“Or maybe she just hasn’t been given reason not to.” Tempest tried to suggest to her distraught friend even though consoling isn't her strongest suit. “Maybe she just feels deeply conflicted with pursing what she wants in life as a result of a traumatic past experience just like me. I know that you don’t want to think about it but it’s very possible that Cozy isn’t like Midnight or the rest of her followers.”

“Maybe.” Twilight reluctantly agreed with the suggestion as she stood up not wanting to dwell and talk about it further. “And maybe my coltfriend’s human counterpart hasn’t given up on me because it seems he’s more interested in my human self than me right now. Although since I spend most of my time back in Equestria and I'm already in a relationship with the Flash there that's fair. Come on.” She then gestured Tempest as they both made their way out of the tent to meet up with Rainbow Dash waiting for them. “We better meet up with the others so we can focus on making sure this vacation for everyone goes smoothly. The sooner we finish the sooner we can get back and deal with Midnight once and for all.”

Twilight made her way out of the tent as Tempest follows after her as she meets up with Sunset as they both watch on solemnly in her direction as Twilight still isn’t quite feeling like the Princess of Friendship she was before she got infected with dark magic. To them they clearly still have a ways to go before they can even get anywhere with this.

Author's Note:

In the first part of this penultimate arc, is the beginning of the camping trip the students of Canterlot High embark on as Sunset has managed to convince Twilight after a brief heated argument to take a much needed vacation from everything that has happened after sheer reluctance on the alicorn's part with Starlight and Tempest accompanying them.

As far as their appearances and designs I had Twilight have darker clothes with a more action-like appearance for this version of the story so both Twilight's both in the same world and story can be told apart along with giving Tempest a similar clothing appearance to Twilight since she like Twilight also a tough action girl with Tempest being the mare Twilight opens up too upon how she is feeling right now.

Having said that I had Starlight and Tempest join in on the trip so they can try to reach out to Twilight as she struggles with her inner darkness at the same time Human Twilight struggles with her inner conflict and the only close friends outside of Luna, Cadance, and Spike that she still truly cares about even after her fight with the others.

One of the main reasons for including Tempest in this version of the special is that she is atoning for her actions feeling personally responsible that Twilight got scarred and is wrestling with her inner darkness as a result of Midnight's actions with more about to be explained as this story goes on.

Now that everyone is settled in, the camping trip and vacation for everyone has just begun.

PreviousChapters Next