• Published 27th Feb 2020
  • 4,427 Views, 207 Comments

Light and Dark: Road to Redemption - MXCDarkHorse2020



Twilight Sparkle, now the Princess of Friendship, focuses on proving to everypony through the adventures of Season 5 of Friendship is Magic onwards that she truly has redeemed herself for her past actions as Midnight Sparkle.

  • ...
9
 207
 4,427

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 23: Equestrian Girls Part Two (Rewritten 9/14/22)

Chapter 23:

Equestrian Girls Part Two

Shortly after spying on Sunset Shimmer the trio then walks their way down the hallway as Twilight looks around nervously now that she knows that she is competing against for the Fall Formal.

“You okay, Twilight?” Starlight asked her in concern.

“Just a little nervous of what Sunset plans to do now that she knows I’m running against her that’s all.” Twilight honestly replied as she looks uncertain of what plans Sunset has in mind for her and that she is someone who won’t hesitate to get her hands dirty if the situation calls for it.

“Don’t worry, Twilight.” Starlight reassured her as she placed her hand on her shoulder. “You’re going to win your crown back because number one you have the qualities and characteristics of a true princess something Sunset will never see through her own arrogance. And number two and most importantly you always manage to stay at least one step ahead of her enemies no matter what whether you being good or bad so I think you’re capable of dealing with people or ponies like her in this situation.”

“Thanks.” Twilight thanked her as they turned a corner where the lights are out with flickering lights from above with one of the lockers opening on its own as a result of not being fully shut all the way.

“Can't believe I didn't recognize you earlier.” Sunset smugly spoke as she appeared right behind the trio with an evil smirk. “Shoulda known Princess Celestia would send her prized pupil here after my crown, along with one of her delinquent friends, and her little dog, too.” She said as she circled the three as Starlight glares at her for calling her a delinquent.

“It's my crown!” Twilight firmly told of Sunset.

“Whatever.” Sunset shrugged it off still not seeing or understanding what she is toying with as she continued to circle the three. “This is just a minor setback for me. You don't know the first thing about this place, and I already rule it.”

“If that's so, why do you even need my crown? You went to an awful lot of trouble to switch it with the one that belongs here.” Twilight questioned Sunset her reasons for stealing it in the first place.

“Pop quiz: what happens when you bring an Element of Harmony into an alternate world?” Sunset quizzed Twilight as she thinks for a moment on the correct answer. “You don't know? Seriously?” She quickly spoke up before she could even answer. “And you're supposed to be Princess Celestia's star student?” She asked her as Twilight glares at her direction. “Then again, what were the chances she'd find somepony as bright as me to take under her wing after I decided to leave Equestria? Bit embarrassing that you were the best she could do.” She further insulted Twilight as Spike growls with Starlight having enough of the fiery-haired girl trying to bully her steps forward in her defense.

“Look here, Sunset Shimmer.” Starlight spoke up as she got face to face with her. “You really have some nerve insulting Twilight like that when she is here retrieving what you stole from her. So if I were you I’d back off before you get a knuckle sandwich for dinner.” She then threatened her to back off as she presents her curled up fist in Sunset's face.

“Hey I’m really scared Starlight Glimmer, what are you going to do take away my cutie mark like a power-hungry tyrant.” Sunset taunted her being unfazed by her threat as she shakes her butt to rub it in they are in the human world and not in Ponyville.

“Hmmm.” Starlight growled with blood boiling anger as Spike growls in Sunset’s direction to which she is also surprised at his bravery before regaining her composure.

“Oh, and I'd keep an eye on your mutt. Hate for him to be... taken away from you.” Sunset subtly said in response to Spike’s defensive stance.

“Is that a threat?” Spike asked with a glare and a raised fist.

“Oh, of course not.” Sunset falsely reassures him to which Spike barks at him while still growling at her surprising her once again before hushing him with a finger. “But I'd cut down on the chatter if I were you. Don't want everyone to know you three don't belong here, now would you? You wanna be a princess here? Please. You don't know the first thing about fitting in.” Sunset then said as she smugly smirked and walked off feeling that she has put Twilight in her place.

“Well one thing’s for certain is that Twilight is twice the princess you could ever hope to be.” She defiantly retorted while pointing a finger in her direction to which Sunset while restraining the urge to tear her apart for getting personal with her by bringing up her past to which Sunset angrily glares at her for unfavorably comparing her to Twilight before regaining her composure again as she walks off.

Starlight then quickly follows after her as she hides from her sight so she can figure on what Sunset’s planning to do to deal with Twilight so she can help her friend stay on top of Sunset to where she meets up with her two companions Snips and Snails who are covered up in streamers to which Sunset responded by ripping them off of them as the two spun around very dizzy from the super-fast spin.

“What are you doing, Starlight?!” Twilight asked her as she ran off ahead.

“Figuring out what Sunset is up too.” Starlight told her as she ran off to do so.

“Just don’t do anything rash that might get us kicked out of this school and stuck here for the next thirty moons.” Twilight called out to her urging her not to do anything rash.

“Will do.” Starlight replied as she turned the corner after Sunset.

“I want you to follow her. Bring me something I can use just like I did with that last girl who thought she could challenge me.” Sunset instructed them.

“You got it, Sunset Shimmer.” Snips obliged to her request as he and Snails saluted to her command.

“When the crown and its power are mine, Twilight Sparkle will be sorry she ever set hoof into this world. Not that she would've been much safer if she'd stayed in Equestria.” Sunset then said to herself with narrowed eyes as she is prepared to do whatever it takes win Twilight’s crown.

“Yeah, in Equestria.” Snails said in agreement having heard her.

“What are you still doing here?! Go!” Sunset immediately commanded them to get moving to which they accidentally bumped into each other before taking over to deal with their task at hand.

Starlight having observed this, quickly turns to the near-by corner as she quickly make her way to find Twilight so she can warn her of Sunset’s plans.


Meanwhile, Twilight walks up to a vending machine to where eyes and licks her lips at the sight of the snacks inside of it. She then scratched her chin once more unsure of how to get it before being interrupted by Trixie’s human counterpart.

“Excuse me.” Trixie politely addressed her as she walks up to the vending machine. “The Great and Powerful Trixie!” She dramatically said in third person before holding up a coin. “...Needs some peanut butter crackers.” She then inserted the coin into the machine as the desired snack came out as she requested. “Voilà!” She proudly stated before walking off.

“Sunset Shimmer is right.” Twilight solemnly agreed with Sunset’s assessment of her at least part of it. “I don't know the first thing about this place. If I'm gonna really fit in and win votes, we need to do some research.” She then said as she pounder her fist into the palm of her other hand.

“Research?” Spike questioned.

“This place has a school. I have to believe it's got a... library!” Twilight explained as he then eyed the said library just around the corner as she then runs inside to do her research while unbeknownst to her Snips and Snails are both already at the library just when Starlight finds the library.

“Got your phone?” Snips asked his partner in crime.

“Got yours?” Snails asked his partner in crime as thy both snicker as they set out to do what Sunset asked of them before slinking inside to spy on Twilight.

“I don’t think so boys.” Starlight quietly said to herself with determination not to let them get the drop on her as she tails them without them noticing.


At the same time Twilight tries to figure how using the computer here works with Human Cheerlie’s assistance.

“So I just push the letters here, and then the words and moving pictures will come up here?” Twilight wondered as she tabbed the keyboard with the librarin beside her kindly correcting her form.

“That's right.” She told Twilight as she demonstrated it by simply pressing a key on the keyboard.

“Maybe this place does have magic.” Twilight wondered to herself as she fiddles with the computer some more when Cheerlie heads of with the cart of books in tow. While this was happening, Snips and Snails were secretly recording her from behind and then sneak away to avoid being caught spying on her until to bump into Starlight who had her arms crossed looking very annoyed at the two boys.

“I’ll take those.” Starlight told them as he confiscated their phones before glaring at the two boys. “No phones in the library.” She told them as she gestured to one of the signs in the room that featured a phone with crossed out circle in front of it.

“But…” Snips tried to protest only to be cut off.

“Rules are rules.” Starlight firmly told them they are not getting them back as she simply tears the two phones up in half and puts them in the trashcan near her. “Now get out before I report you two to your school principal for spying on students on school property.” She then sternly and crossly warned them to leave while they still can to which they were quick to do so.

Just as Starlight proudly walks up to join Twilight they were both drawn to their attention at the sound of music playing much to Cheerlie’s irritation courtesy of the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

"When you're a younger–"

Scootaloo’s voice sang in the song before having the volume off by Cheerlie.

“Uh, girls, what are you doing?” Cheerlie politely asked them.

“We're just seeing how many hits our new music video has gotten.” Sweetie Belle answered as she turned the song back on and started dancing to the tune.

"So the three of us will fight the fight

There is nothing…”

Scootaloo’s voice sang in the song before Cheerlie turned off the volume again.

“No, just... No!” Cheerlie calmly but firmly told them they can’t do that here as she walks off to confiscate the speaker. “The school computers are for research purposes only.”

“It's just as well, y'all.” Apple Bloom said to her companions as they look at the comments on the website. “Some of the comments about our song were really awful. "Epic fail"... "Funniest thing I've ever seen"?!”

“Funniest thing they've ever seen, huh?” Sweetie Belle wondered seeing this is a good thing as they run off.

“Uh, I don't know that that's what you should take from...“ Twilight tried to tell them that’s not viewed as a good thing to no avail as they already ran off.

“I think they’ll get it in time, Twilight.” Starlight assured Twilight as she joined her by her side. “So how’s the research coming along?” She asked as she stopped her from considering following after the three girls seeking to cause trouble someway somehow along with sternly glaring at Snips and Snails again to warn her against spying on her while confiscating and tearing up their phones again as the two boys immediately flee again.

“What was that?” Twilight asked Starlight as she rejoined her again.

“Part of Sunset’s plan to ensure you don’t get your crown back.” Starlight replied as sees the two boys run off. “But thankfully, your new friend is already gotten dealing with them covered. Takes one mastermind to know one or two in this case.” She reassured them as she watches over Twilight’s shoulder and keeps an eye out for the two idiots in case they try again.


Later, Twilight pulls a massive stack of books aside so she can read them at a nearby table to which she struggles to keep her balance until Starlight catches her before she could fall and drop them. Thanks to Starlight’s help she was able to make the trip to the table no problem.

She then goes over to the copying machine to try to figure out how it works while Starlight catches the boys trying to record her in the action again to which she immediately stops them before they can even set foot into the library to which the boys nervously rip up their own phones apart before running off while Twilight presses a green button on the machine and then finds herself dodging the blinding light the machine created.


“The library will be closing in five minutes.” The P.A. announced as Twilight yawns already reaching her limit on doing research for the day while Starlight watches over at the doorway for Snips and Snails to try to spy on Twilight again. But so far, it seems they have finally backed off for now.

“I hadn't even thought about where we're gonna sleep tonight!” Twilight gasped in realization when she realized how much time was spent researching here.

“Way ahead of you.” Spike reassured her as she shows her a bed he created out of books. “It's a little…” Spike coughed as the dust blew off when he removed the blanket covering the book beds. “… dusty. But it doesn't seem like anybody comes up here.”

“It’s perfect, Spike.” Twilight thankfully acknowledged it will do as she affectionately pet him to which he lies on his back like any loved dog while Starlight joins up with them and sitting on her makeshift bed beside Twilight.

“Better than nothing.” Starlight accepted the sleeping accommodations as she recalled her past travels on the run. “Beats sleeping on a riding train.”

“So, how did your research go?” Spike asked as Twilight continues to pet him by rubbing his belly.

“I found this book. It's called a yearbook. It seems to be something they use to keep a record of things that have happened at the school.” Twilight explained to Spike and Starlight as she opens and shows them the yearbook in question. “Look. That's Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Fluttershy, and I'm gonna bet the girl on the far right is Rarity.” She pointed to a past photo of her human counterpart friends getting along and getting around at the bench for their yearbook photo.

“There's a Rarity here!?” Spike exclaimed in excitement at the sight of his crush as he grabs ahold of the book. “Uh, I mean, uh... interesting photo.” He then said handing the book back to Twilight who rolls her eyes amused while Starlight gives him a knowing look.

“You know everyone knows your crush on Rarity is quite obvious, right?” Starlight asked him with a knowing smirk.

“I was not.” Spike laughed in embarrassment as he blushed and looked away though Starlight wasn’t buying his act for one second.

“It's interesting because they look like they're friends.” Twilight noted as she saw that they are closer than they are now.

“They do look like our friends. But I thought we'd figured that out already.” Spike pointed out that knowing who they are should have been obvious by now.

“I think what she means is that they look like they're friends with each other. But it doesn't seem like they're friends now.” Starlight corrected Spike as she observed the photo

“Not so much.” Spike said bringing up the tension they shown through the day.

“I just can't help but get the feeling that Sunset Shimmer had something to do with it.” Twilight couldn’t help but wonder that their new foe is behind this.

“Wouldn’t surprise me.” Starlight replied. “And I know that for a fact from past experience.” Starlight then said with a sigh as she now regrets her villainous deeds in the past now that she is reformed. “It feels like I’m looking at myself in the mirror just looking at her.”

“I wouldn't put it past her.” Spike also agreed with Starlight as he placed blankets over Twilight and Starlight. “But she wanted your crown 'cause she's planning on doing something even worse! If you're gonna stop her, you have to focus on making friends here. Can't worry about why these girls aren't friends anymore.” Spike told Twilight to focus on what they need to here. “Even if they do remind you of your Ponyville friends.” Spike added with a yawn before falling asleep.

“You're right, Spike.“ Twilight smiled at Spike as she her arm around Spike. “Eye on the prize.”

“Just focus on winning Fall Formal this Friday and we’ll be out of here in no time at all.” Starlight reassuringly added that she has nothing to worry about.

“Thanks, Starlight.” Twilight thanked her for the encouragement. “And thanks for coming here with me.”

“Well, it’s the least I could do for you. After all you saved my life and gave me a chance to be here when no one else would.” Starlight simply thought nothing of it as she and Twilight smile at each other as they go to sleep on their book beds for the night.


“Good morning, students, and happy Thursday. Just a reminder to pick up your ballots for the Princess of the Fall Formal today. They are due at the time the dance starts tomorrow night, so don't forget to turn them in and make your voice heard.” Principal Celestia spoke over the P.A. system as students arrived to school first thing in the morning.

“Fluttershy said I'd need to win over all those different groups if I wanna become Princess of the Fall Formal. So I've compiled a list of talking points.” Twilight told Spike and Starlight as they made their towards the library exit after waking up as she held up a list of papers

“You made a list? That's so unlike you!” Spike laughed at Twilight to which Twilight immediately shuts him up by glaring at him and motioning him to get in her backpack now effectively putting Spike in his place without saying a word. “Uh... Please... Continue.” Spike then laughed nervously a little before shutting up completely.

“I'll start introducing myself, sprinkle in some things I learned about their world into the conversation, show them how I fit in here!” Twilight explained to her companions as they reached the doors. Once she takes a calming breath she then is ready to walk outside of the library to greet the students. “Okay, Spike, Starlight. Time to make a good first impression on my fellow students. The whole world sorta depends on it.”

The trio would then walk down the hallway as they see their reactions to them which are mostly wondering who they are and looking on very nervously in her direction.

“Why is everybody looking at me funny?” Twilight asked her friends as she finds herself dragged by the arm into a nearby room. “Whoa! What're you...? Why did you...? Rarity?” Twilight asked the girl who dragged her inside as she quickly gestures Starlight to come in. The girl in question was the human counterpart of Rarity who wore a light blue t-shirt, a purple skirt with matching knee length boots and socks, and waist-length hair who takes some measurements of her all around as she smiles at an idea she has as she reaches into her backpack for something.

“Perfect!” Rarity exclaimed as she pulled out a green dress with matching socks, boots with a blonde wig to cover her hair. “Oh, yes. This is good! No one will recognize you!” Human Rarity said amazed with herself as she looks at Twilight’s disguise.

“Why wouldn't I wanna be– “ Twilight tried to ask before being cut off.

"And we'll need a disguise for your friend and your dog.” Rarity said as she pulls out a red t-shirt with red jeans with a sparkling red vest and a black wig and puts on Starlight. “Perfect! It makes look so bad.” Rarity told an uncomfortable Starlight by the costume change as she turns to Spike. “Your pet is so adorable!” Rarity said as she tickled his chin and held his cheeks as Spike looks at her with her heart shaped eyes at his crush. “Y'know, with a little work, I think I could make him look like a rabbit instead.”

“Huh?” Spike spoke in confusion.

“A rabbit?” Twilight asked just as confused as Starlight as they both show puzzled looks as the door opens with the rest of the Mane Five walking in right away

“There you are, Twilight.” Applejack told her much to Rarity’s dismay to she was able to recognize her.

“So much for the disguise.” Rarity grumbled with crossed arms.

“I've been lookin' all over for ya!” Applejack said as she approached her.

“Me too.” Fluttershy added with concern

“Me three! I like your new look! And who’s your attractive friend” Pinkie added as she examined her then Starlight completely buying her disguise.

“I do have an eye for these sorts of things. Not that you seem to care.” Rarity thought nothing of her skills before throwing a remark directed at Pinkie as she turns aside crossing her arms.

“What?!” Pinkie exclaimed offended by that claim.

“Why do you think she doesn't care?” Twilight felt the need to ask as she sees Applejack gesturing her to stop talking with Fluttershy covering her mouth in worry. “No, never mind.” Twilight then decided to drop the issue for now. “Why were you all looking for me? What's going on?“ She asked as she took of her blonde wig.

“Oh, she hasn't heard yet.” Fluttershy said in response that she is aware of what they are talking about.

“Heard what?” Starlight asked just as confused as Twilight.

“Oh, it's really not that bad.” Pinkie nervously told her as she opened up her laptop to show them a video. “Who are you again?” She asked Starlight much to Rarity’s delight and annoyance that her disguise successfully fooled Pinkie even thought they have hardly met.

“Twilight Sparkle wants to be your Fall Formal Princess.” Sunset’s voice spoke through the video as she shows footage of Twilight looking around as she walk through the hallways. “But what does it say about our school if we give someone like this... such an important honor?” Sunset’s voice spoke as she showed footage of her using an image of her getting angry along with Starlight during their second confrontation then altering it to make them look evil and intimidating with horns and devilish teeth to which unsettled both girls especially since they have been down that road in the past.

“Wha... I...” Twilight said taken aback by what Sunset has posted online.

“I take that back. It's pretty bad!” Pinkie voiced her honesty about the video.

“But this all happened yesterday! At the library! Has everyone in the school seen this? Is that why they were all looking at me that way?” Twilight questioned the video and how Sunset could have obtained the footage.

“Mmm...” Applejack and Pinkie Pie said as Fluttershy and Rarity looked aside awkwardly to confirm it's true.

“But how could Sunset have obtained this?” Starlight said in confusion to what she saw. “I made sure that her lackeys weren’t trying to snoop and spy on her along with destroying their phones. Unless…” Starlight then said in realization. “…She managed to obtain some quick sneak shots behind my back once she heard that I was catching them in the act. Ugh!” Starlight face palmed. "I should have expected that she wouldn't have given up so easily."

“What am I gonna do? No one is gonna vote for me after seeing this!” Twilight exclaimed in worry. “I’m not like that and I’ll never act like that ever!”

“Not that it'll make any difference, but I'll still vote for you.” Fluttershy tried to reassure her support once more to Twilight which doesn’t prove much help as she face-plants into the desk she was sitting in front of. “You were so nice to stand up for me when Sunset Shimmer was picking on me yesterday.”

“If ya still wanna run, maybe there's something I can do to help!” Pinkie offered.

“Word of advice? Don't accept her help. She doesn't take anything seriously!” Fluttershy bluntly commented to which Pinkie takes offense to.

“Ugh! Why do you have to be so awful to me?” Pinkie reacted as Rarity walks up to her.

“Oh! Pff. Kch. Ts!” Rarity scoffed. “Don't play innocent, Pinkie Pie! You are no better than she is!” She angrily accused her while pointing an accusing finger at Fluttershy

“And what is that supposed to mean?!” Pinkie shouted in Rarity’s face as she turned her attention back to Twilight.

“I am happy to offer up my assistance as well.” She generously offered to Twilight before shouting at Pinkie’s direction. “To someone who would appreciate what I have to offer!“

As Pinkie, Rarity, and Fluttershy argue, Spike zips himself in Twilight’s backpack while Starlight places a hand over her face in exasperation over their argument.

“Listen to y'all carryin' on! Get over it and move on!” Applejack responded to their argument as she finishs eating up an apple and places it into the nearby trashcan while sitting cross-legged on the desk.

“You mean like how you've gotten over what happened with Rainbow Dash?” Rarity asked Applejack while literally pointing fingers at her.

“She said she'd get the softball team to make an appearance at my bake sale. I tell everybody they're comin', and then not one of 'em shows up! She made a liar outta me! That's different!” Applejack said in defense.

“Is not!” Pinkie, Fluttershy, and Rarity argued not buying it.

“Is too!” Applejack angrily retorted as they continue arguing until Twilight decides she has had enough.

“STOP!” Twilight shouted to get them to stop arguing which worked successfully. “All of you!”

“Couldn’t have said it better, Twilight.” Starlight said in relief that she shut them all up as she was starting to get a headache from their arguing as she rubbed the temples on her head.

“I wanna show you something.” She said as Spike hands her the yearbook and shows them their yearbook photo. “You were friends once.”

“Hmm. The Freshman Fair. Y'all remember?” Applejack recalled as she smiled at the past memory and turned to the others who reply yes in agreement.

“Mm-hmm.” Pinkie said in agreement.

“Yes.” Rarity also agreed

“But something happened.” Twilight pointed out a rift happened between them as she closed the book and looked at them seriously. “I think that something was Sunset Shimmer.”

“Well, it's a nice theory, darling, but Sunset Shimmer had nothing to do with it.” Rarity politely insisted against that idea.

“She's right.” Fluttershy agreed somewhat defensively. “Sunset Shimmer isn't the one who ruined my silent auction for the animal shelter by bringing fireworks and noisemakers! It was supposed to be a serious event, and Pinkie Pie ruined it!” She then accused Pinkie as she turned aside with crossed arms.

“What are you talking about?” Pinkie questioned in disbelief as she held up her phone. “I got a text from you saying that you didn't want a silent auction. You wanted a big party!”

“Uh! I never sent you a text!” Fluttershy said in confusion to that last bit.

“You didn't?” Pinkie asked in surprise to her innocent response

“You don't think she's the one who's been sending me those e-mails, do you?” Rarity questioned if Sunset really did have something to do with this rift as Twilight thinks to herself as she puts the pieces together while Starlight does the same as they both figure out how Sunset caused it at the same time. “Every time I volunteer to help with the decorations at a school function, I get an e-mail from Pinkie Pie saying she has plenty of volunteers! And then I find out she's done everything herself.”

“I never sent you any e-mails!” Pinkie said in confusion.

“Maybe she's the reason Rainbow Dash didn't show up for my bake sale!” Applejack came to the realization as it dawns on her.

“Didn't you ever ask Rainbow Dash why she didn't show up?” Twilight asked if the thought her occurred to her.

“Heh, I guess I kinda stopped talkin' to her at all after that.” Applejack nervously grinned in embarrassment before frowning and removed her hat in shame.

“Maybe now would be a good time to start.” Twilight suggested as she placed her hat back on her head.

“Better late than never.” Starlight also added as she glanced at Twilight recalling her stopping her from breaking their friendship back in the other world in an alternate timeline.


All six girls all make their way to the soccer field where Rainbow Dash’s human counterpart is currently practicing soccer by kicking a soccer ball into the goal in front of her. She is currently wearing a white tank top with a rainbow lightning bolt on it, with a short sleeved blue jacket, with a magneta skirt with black bike shorts underneath, knee length rainbow colored socks to match her hair and wristbands, and blue knee length boots.

As Rainbow Dash is practicing soccer, Applejack walks up to her to talk to her and clear up the misunderstanding while her friends are watching from the to which it seems successful so far.

“They're actually talking! That's a good sign!” Rarity noted that talking it out seems to be working.

“Hugs! Ooh, hugs are always good!” Pinkie said in excitement seeing the friendship is rekindled.

“Somebody, and I think we can all guess who, told Rainbow Dash that my bake sale had been moved to a different day. Dash showed up with all the softball team and thought I'd cancelled on her!” Applejack explained to the girls of what really happened and how Sunset has manipulated and drove a wedge between them as Rainbow turns her attention to Twilight.

“So you're lookin' to dethrone Sunset Shimmer and become Princess of the Fall Formal, huh?” Rainbow asked Twilight who silently nods with a nervous grin. “Gotta say, I'd really love to see that happen. I'll totally help you out!” Rainbow offered her help as she kicked up a soccer ball repeatedly on her knee. “All you gotta do is beat me in a game of one-on-one.”

“What?” Twilight said in surprise by her catch.

“First to five goals wins. 1-0!” Rainbow Dash told Twilight as she already kicks the ball into goal by back-kicking into the goal so fast the ball was on fire.

Twilight would then nervously gulp seeing she is facing a hard to do challenge since she has little experience with soccer but sees she has no choice in the matter if she wants her help.

“You’ve got this Twilight.” Starlight reassured her with another encouraging smile as she accepts Rainbow’s challenge. “Just do your best.”

Rainbow runs up while kicking the soccer ball in front of the knee-shaking Twilight as she braces for the balls impact and to her relief she managed to catch it just before it could go in the net, impressing Rainbow Dash in the process.

She then tries to dribble the ball into the other goal only for Rainbow to quickly take control of the ball and kick it into the net. Rainbow up 2-0.

Twilight then has a chance as she dribbles the ball closer to her goalpost and when Rainbow is ready to steal control of the ball she kicks the ball under her legs and kicks into the goal. Now it’s 1-2.

Next as Rainbow knees the ball on her knee she then accidentally hits Twilight in the face with the ball to quick Twilight takes the opportunity to steal the ball and kick into the goal. Game’s all tied up 2-2.

Rainbow couldn’t help but feel impressed with how lucky she has managed to keep a close game this far as she narrows her eyes in determination seeing that she has to step up her game as she then dribbles the ball up and to past Twilight with quick fake-out reactions to retake the lead 3-2.

The girls were all watching very excited with the game they were seeing, as Twilight is able to keep pace with Rainbow Dash in a game she’s hardly played while Pinkie keeps score.

Even when Twilight has gotten the hang of the game to an extend being able to keep up with her pace as they manage to get the drop on each other and exchange goals it didn’t stop Rainbow from eventually prevailing 5-4 when after Twilight ties the game up she kicks it to the other goal.

While Rainbow Dash jumps and down victoriously, Twilight on the other hand is catching her breath on the field in defeat.

“That’s game.” Rainbow told Twilight as she faced over her with the other girls joining her.

“Wow! I really thought you were going to pull it off there in the end!” Rarity spoke up impressed with her efforts to cheer her up to no avail as Twilight still catches her breath in defeat.

“SO what’s the plan?” Rainbow asked Twilight as she knelled down to her eye level to help her on her feet. “How can I help you be princess instead of Sunset Shimmer?”

“But... I... lost!” Twilight exclaimed in surprise that Rainbow is still going to help her after losing to her.

“Of course you lost. I'm awesome!” Rainbow assured her it’s no big deal. “For starters, that was one heck of a game you put up with me, for someone who’s had little experience with this game. Secondly and most importantly, I'm not gonna help just anybody try and beat Sunset Shimmer. The Fall Formal Princess should be someone with heart and determination. You've proved that you've got 'em both!” Rainbow told her to which Twilight smiles hearing that with an elbow nudge to her shoulder as the whole group cheers as they hug, while Starlight watching the scene winks at her direction since she already had said something similar when defending her from Sunset the other day.

Speaking of said person, she was secretly spying on their conversation while secretly video-taping her playing soccer while evilly smiling that she now has a new plan to care of her to which Starlight notices her from a glance wondering what Sunset plans to do to try to strike next.


Later that day, the group discusses of how to get Twilight to win Princess of Fall Formal at the nearby coffee shop over smoothies.

The human version of Mrs. Cake is just putting whipped cream and strawberries on both of Twilight and Starlight’s smoothies

“And... can I get mine with extra strawberries?” Twilight asked

Mrs. Cake nodded in response before adding the requested fruit on her smoothie. "Of course."

After being handed their drinks the two move to walk over to regroup with their friends. Along the way, Twilight without warning accidentally bump into a guy she just stumbled into again causing her to accidentally spill her smoothie all over his shirt leaving the girl mortified by what had just happened.

“Oh! We've got to stop bumping into each other like this.” Flash smiled as he wiped the spill off of his shirt before they find themselves grabbing the mug at the exact same time much to their surprise as they separate themselves from each other while Starlight watches on with a knowing smirk.

“You know me! Always trying to make a big splash around here. 'Cause my drink kinda splashed... on the ground” Twilight giggled nervously while fiddling with her hair as Starlight turns to get her another smoothie while the two gaze into each other’s eyes. “I'm gonna go over there now.” She excused herself to where her friends are gathering while Starlight joins them with two drinks in her hands as Twilight secretly blushes and twirls her hair at her crush.

“Don't even think about it! You're already trying to get her crown. Who knows what Sunset Shimmer would do if you ended up getting her ex-boyfriend too?” Rarity warned Twilight after seeing through her crush on the boy.

“I'm not trying to. I don't even know... We just accidentally...” Twilight tried to explain she isn’t trying to and barely knows him. “Ex-boyfriend?” She asked in surprise hearing that Sunset used to date him.

“Flash Sentry broke up with her a few weeks ago. I can't believe she hasn't done something awful to him yet.” Fluttershy explained to her as they watch him purchase a smoothie and then walk over to take his seat so he can enjoy his drink while lovely gazing at Twilight’s direction.

“Maybe she's just waiting until she has the power to do something really awful.” Twilight theorized.

“All right, girls.” Applejack stood up with determination on focusing on the task at hand. “Dance is tomorrow night, and we still don't know how we're gonna get Twilight the votes she needs to be named princess. Right now, folks only know the Twilight from the videos Sunset Shimmer posted online.” She analyzed the situation as she then places her hands onto Twilight. “We need to help 'em see her differently.”

The girls then think of how they are going to do that while Starlight is more focusing on how to stop Sunset for further trying to ruin Twilight’s image as Rarity thinks of an idea in her head.

“I'VE GOT IT!” She shouted as she stood up drawing the entire crowd’s attention towards her which she then blushes and smiles in embarrassment after realizing her outburst. “Ahem. I mean, um, perhaps I have a solution.” She said as she regained her composure and walked over to her bag. “Now this may be an absolutely preposterous idea, but what if we all wore these as a sign of unity?” She proposed as she held antennas with pony ears with a blue furred pony tail with a yellow streak in the middle as the girls try to understand what she is trying to propose as she puts them on. “Freshman year, they were very, very popular. A way for everybody to show their school spirit! You know? "Go, Canterlot Wondercolts!"” She cheered and jumped into the air to demonstrate before clearing her throat again and then pulled out the antennas to her friends and put them all on their heads. “Ahem. I haven't sold any in ages. I mean, the five of us are obviously very different, but deep down, we're all Canterlot Wondercolts! Sunset Shimmer is the one who divided us, Twilight Sparkle is the one who united us. And we're gonna let everyone know it! What do you think?” She asked Twilight as she put her antenna on her head while the other girls smile approvingly at the idea with Applejack giving a thumb’s up while Spike looks on at Rarity with hearts filled in his eyes while Rarity hugs Twilight to assure her that this will work wonders.

“I think that is a great plan.” Starlight voiced her support of this idea. “Because it lets people know who Twilight really is and why she is the girl to vote for Fall Formal princess.” She explained as Rarity smiled with glee hearing this. “Without her I’d still be living live similar to how Sunset currently is until Twilight showed me the ways of friendship.” She added elements of truth to her backstory without giving away completely what she went through. “Now it’s our turn to help her.” She said as Twilight smiled again at Starlight’s support. “But since Sunset isn’t going down without a fight, we still need to ensure she doesn’t do anything that might ruin her chances of proving that.” She then seriously added that Sunset is still going to do whatever it takes to get what she wants. “So having said that, while you girls carry out your plan, I on the other hand will keep on an eye on Sunset so I can stay on top of whatever she is going to try to ruin your reputation and chances of winning what you deserve.”

“Are you sure about that, Starlight?” Twilight asked if she is up for that.

“Of course.” Starlight replied. “If I was able to spy on you without you noticing than I’m sure I can handle this. After all, I learned from the best, and know a thing or two about dealing with someone like her from past experience.”

“Thanks, Starlight.” Twilight again thanked her.

“No, problem. Because that’s what friends are for.” Starlight responded as Rarity explains to them of their plan to boost Twilight’s popularity and show them who she really is.


The next day, while everyone is having lunch Rarity while wearing a sweater with the school’s logo on it puts on her antenna with pony ears on as she takes her seat at her table while Rainbow Dash does the same while wearing the same sweater too at her table.

Pinkie who is currently in line getting lunch uses the empty tray she was holding and then tabs on the table to a beat which is followed by Rarity tapping her feet onto the ground and clapping her hands, followed by Fluttershy tapping the table with empty glasses, followed by Applejack tabbing her hands on her table and clapping her hands, as they all do it together which gets everybody’s attention.

In a nearby corner, Spike from Twilight’s backpack turns on the music from the stereo in front of him as he turns on the music as the four girls march around the tables before marching about to group together at the center of the room.

“Hey, hey, everybody

We've got something to say

We may seem as different

As the night is from day

But you look a little deeper

And you will see

That I'm just like you

And you're just like me.

Yeah!”

They sang as they made poses together before singing and dancing at a slightly faster pace and in perfect sync with each other.

“Hey, hey, everybody

We're here to shout

That the magic of friendship

Is what it's all about

Yeah,

We thought we were different

As the night is from the day

Until Twilight Sparkle

Helped us see another way

So get up get down

If you're gonna come around

We can work together

Helping Twilight win the crown

So get up get down

'Cause it's gonna make a sound

If we work together

Helping Twilight Sparkle

Win the crown!”

They all sang as others students happily listened to the tune as one of the students wearing glasses starts recording the sing and dance on his phone as Rainbow Dash stood on top of a chair which leaned over and then fell down with Rainbow still standing unflinching from the tilt.

“Hey, hey hands up now,

We're sending a message

To the crowd

Hands wave up

Then come down

We party together

All around.”

Pinkie sang as she yelled through a megaphone in someone’s face then raised a student’s hands into the air before dancing and spinning around.

“Generous, honesty,”

Rarity sang.

“Laughter, kindness, loyalty.”

Applejack sang.

“Twilight helped us each to see.”

Fluttershy sang as she placed her hands on Pinkie and Applejack.

“All that we can be!” Rainbow Dash sang as she proudly stood on top of the table Pinkie, Applejack, and Rarity were sitting in front of.

“So get up get down

If you're gonna come around

We can work together

Helping Twilight win the crown

So get up get down

'Cause it's gonna make a sound

If we work together

Helping Twilight Sparkle

Win the crown!”

The girls all sang together as they marched and danced around the cafeteria as Fluttershy and Rarity opened the doors to introduce everybody to Twilight Sparkle wearing her sweater as she joins in on the song.

“I'm gonna be myself

No matter what I do

And if we're different yeah

I want you to be true to you.”

Twilight sang as she walked inside the cafeteria as Flash Sentry played on his guitar to the tune of the song.

“If you follow me

We'll put our differences aside

We'll stick together and

Start working on that school pride!”

Twilight sang as jumped onto one of the tables as the rest of her friends circled around the table.

“Jump up make a sound (Hey!)

Stomp your hooves turn around

Start now, make a change,

Gonna come around

Jump up make a sound (Hey!)”

The girls all sang as they danced on tables, jumped, spun around, as they danced encouraging the other students to clap their hands as the band students play on their guitars and drums playing music to the beat.

“Stomp your hooves turn around

Canterlot Wondercolts

Help her win the crown!”

The girls danced as Twilight danced nearby Flash Sentry playing on his guitar while Pinkie tosses out antenna and tails so everybody can wear pony-like ears on their heads and tails on their backs in support of their school’s mascot and colors as all of the students dance and sing to the beat wearing ears and tails.

“Jump up make a sound (Hey!)

Stomp your hooves turn around

Start now, make a change,

Gonna come around

Jump up make a sound (Hey!)

Stomp your hooves turn around

Canterlot Wondercolts

Help her win the crown!

Jump up make a sound (Hey!)

Stomp your hooves turn around

Start now, make a change,

Gonna come around

Jump up make a sound (Hey!)

Stomp your hooves turn around

Canterlot...”


Everybody sang and danced while Sunset Shimmer watches in growling dismay seeing that her latest viral video plan failed while catching her lackeys dancing to the beat while wearing the ears and tails too.

“Take those off!” Sunset commanded them as they immediately did so while apologetically smiling at her. “I have something I need you to do.” Sunset then instructed them with her new plan as Starlight secretly spies on them from the nearby corner while listening to the song and dance the girls were doing in the cafeteria as she listens and looks on intently as Sunset tells her what she wants them to do while ready to know what to do when she executes it.

Author's Note:

With Part Two down, we have the pursuit of the princess of Fall Formal underway as Twilight does her research and enlists the Mane Five's help of achieving that goal.

One thing a little different is Twilight and Rainbow Dash's soccer match-up to where Rainbow Dash still wins but it came down to the last goal courtesy of Twilight putting up more of a match in this version.

Aside from that we have Starlight stepping up her efforts in helping Twilight by staying on top of whatever underhanded tactics Sunset Shimmer has up her sleeve even going as far as telling off Sunset during their confrontation in the beginning that Twilight is much more of a princess than Sunset could ever hope to be and always supporting Twilight every step of the way while sharing the same deadpan snarking qualities Twilight has as the two really have some friendship bonding here with their many simlarites.

Next up is what happens in Part Three with the Fall Formal on the horizon as well as whatever Sunset Shimmer tries to do in her efforts to get what she wants.

UPDATE 9/14/2022:

The parts with Twilight's clumsy behavior have been edited out going forward.

PreviousChapters Next