• Published 27th Feb 2020
  • 4,427 Views, 207 Comments

Light and Dark: Road to Redemption - MXCDarkHorse2020



Twilight Sparkle, now the Princess of Friendship, focuses on proving to everypony through the adventures of Season 5 of Friendship is Magic onwards that she truly has redeemed herself for her past actions as Midnight Sparkle.

  • ...
9
 207
 4,427

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 5: The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone

Chapter 5:

The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone

Ever since helping Rainbow Dash get through her crisis of having to come to accept that Tank was going to have to hibernate and overcoming the pain her near-death experience has impacted her including her faked death Rainbow Dash has avoided falling into the same dark path she once fell into.

Since then, she did go through great lengths in helping organize the Grand Galloping Gala which is the first since her reformation which proved successful even with Discord’s chaotic antics.

“Although, I wonder how could Celestia think all of the chaos that nearly ruined the Gala was all a good thing?” Twilight wondered to herself as she made her way into the throne room. “On the other hoof my friends did make a scene in the last Grand Galloping Gala while I was greeting the guests with Princess Celestia like last time.” She added as she shrugged it off since everything still went well regardless.

She then used her magic to open up the cutie map and see that two cutie marks Rainbow and Pinkie’s appear over the map and float over to area with rocky mountains where on top of one of the hills is a large tree. The place in question is Griffonstone where all of the Griffons reside as the two have been called to Griffonstone for a friendship mission.

Twilight is happy for them but at the same time wants to come to even though the map didn’t call her.

Soon enough, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie arrive to the castle with their cutie marks glowing on their flanks and come inside the throne room where Twilight is observing Griffonstone where their cutie marks are floating over the map.

“This is so exciting.” Twilight eagerly commented. “The map is summoning you to Griffonstone, the very heart of the griffon kingdom!” She added as she summoned a book with her magic. “I don't know if either of you have read "Bygone Griffons of Greatness", but griffons were known to be—“

“Rude, insensitive bullies?” Rainbow Dash interrupted as she rested her head on the arm of her throne chair.

“You mean Gilda?” Twilight corrected and noted knowing of who she was talking about as she faces her surprised by her tone.

“Yeah, I mean Gilda!” Rainbow Dash answered yes while still sounding upset over the way she treated her friends since her last visit. “When she came to Ponyville, she was a total jerk to all my friends, especially Pinkie Pie!”

“She was a bit of a party pooper.” Pinkie also noted while agreeing with Rainbow as she sat upside down on her throne chair.

“Mm-hmm.” Rainbow agreed with her in the same bitter tone as Twilight approaches her.

“So, maybe Gilda was a little rude.” Twilight understandably acknowledged Rainbow’s feeling towards her now former friend as she walks by with the book in tow. “You still get to go to Griffonstone, and according to this book, it has a rich, fascinating history!” She added as she opened the book to read from as Pinkie watches over her shoulder to see what is inside the book as she reads. “In ancient times, griffons were known to be as greedy as dragons, always hoarding their bits and other treasures.” Twilight narrated as she showed a picture of griffons hoarding piles of gold. “But all that changed when King Grover found the mysterious golden Idol of Boreas.” Twilight narrated as she showed said griffon holding up the aforementioned object. “Legend says the Idol of Boreas was made from the dust of golden sunsets, blown across the mountains by the north winds.” She narrated as she showed the picture of the object onto the table in front of the king himself. “Possessing the Idol of Boreas filled the griffons' hearts with pride. It's said that that one great treasure is responsible for turning Griffonstone into the most majestic kingdom of all the land.” She narrated as she showed the griffons living in peace and harmony.

“And why do you care so much about griffons anyway?” Rainbow Dash interrupted wondering why Twilight is into them anyways.

“It was actually Gilda's visit that made me curious. So I picked up "Bygone Griffons of Greatness", and I've been hooked ever since!” Twilight still positively answered as she sighed on the next part of her sentence. “And now... Now you two get to see Griffonstone with your very own eyes.”

“Huh? Just me and Rainbow Dash?” Pinkie asked confused by what she had just said.

“Hey, you can totally take my place if you want.” Rainbow offered as she yawned wanting to take a nap instead. “I still have half a nap to finish.”

“Why don't you just come with us?” Pinkie offered. “I mean, you are the Princess of Friendship.” Pinkie pointed out that just because she wasn’t called it’s not stopping her from accompanying them.

There Twilight then thought “That’s true. I may not be allowed to help them out with their mission but I suppose I could accompany them.”

“That’s true.” Twilight agreed. “Although this is your mission, what’s stopping me from visiting Griffonstone?”

“Exactly!” Pinkie cheerfully agreed. “What is stopping you from visiting a place you really want to go to?”

“Well…” Twilight started before making her decision with a smile. “All right, I’ll come.”

“Yipeee!” Pinkie happily exclaimed as she hugged Twilight and Rainbow. “We're going to have so much fun together going to Griffonstone!”

Rainbow Dash sighs still not enthusiastic as Pinkie about seeing Gilda again.

“Fine.” Rainbow said to make it clear that she is only going because the map called her and does have an obligation to this mission she and Pinkie have to do. “Even though I still feel like I going to regret this.”

“That’s the spirit!” Pinkie cheerfully said as she blew a party horn in excitement.


Shortly afterwards all three ponies got on the train as they make their way from Ponyville to Griffinstone.

As the train is currently traveling through the mountains, Pinkie eagerly excited as a cater pony wheels a cart of snacks consisting of apples, cupcakes, and candy, Rainbow Dash sitting across from her is reading a book looking very uninterested.

“Whatcha reading, Rainbow?” Pinkie curiously asked her.

“Twilight literally wrote a book on what we need to do in Griffonstone.” Rainbow answered with an annoyed sight.

“You mean like a guide on how to figure out what problem we're supposed to fix?” Pinkie corrected Rainbow as she helps herself to the treats from the cart.

“And then some.” Rainbow Dash added on to confirm it as she holds the book over her head. “It's like Twilight herself in book form. She further expressed irritation as she mimics Twilight complete with styling her mane similarly to her. "Always carry plenty of bits. The griffons are sure to help you as long as you share the wealth."

“Well at least you’ll know what to know while I’m touring Griffonstone since this is your mission.” Twilight spoke up as she approached from behind revealing that she heard and saw Rainbow’s imitation of her.

Before Rainbow could speak up in her defense she and Twilight both saw Pinkie handing the cater pony a huge bag of bits as she ended up buying out the entire cart of snacks.

After swallowing a cupcake she had just eaten she then nervously asks with a grin.

“Uh, can I borrow some bits?”

Both Twilight and Rainbow Dash roll their eyes in annoyance at Pinkie’s carelessness as they both face-hoof themselves that she just wasted her entire bag of money just to satisfy her sweet tooth.

“I think it’s for the best that I handle the bit business around here until we get back.” Twilight firmly replied no as she secured her bag of bits from her, much to Pinkie’s disappointment. “Besides you both need them as you have a very important mission to complete. I’ll be around to offer advice and guidance but I can’t help out with this mission since the map didn’t call me.”


Once they get to their destination at Griffon Gorge, the three ponies all saddle up as they prepare to head in the direction of the Hyperborean Mountains as Pinkie adds more luggage on Rainbow’s back much to her annoyance.

“Upon arriving in Griffon Gorge, be sure to pause and cast your eyes northerly, up the Hyperborean Mountains, taking in the breathtaking beauty of Griffonstone.” Twilight instructed them to follow her in the direction of the mountains as she pointed her hoof to their left. When they get to the mountains they all donned rounded hats with a pointed golden top and fur lining around them as they all walked uphill, well skipped uphill in Pinkie’s case.

“Once we are in Griffonstone proper, we’re going to go immediately to the palace and introduce ourselves to the king. “ Twilight further instructed as they climbed the mountains and crossed an arched bridge. ““Bygone Griffons of Greatness" was written a long time ago, and it ends with the coronation of the fourteenth king of the griffons, King Guto. I have no idea who's in charge now.” Twilight further explained with a shrug that even she doesn’t know everything which includes who exactly is in charge. “I’ll tell him the Princess of Friendship is here to visit while you two have been sent by me, and you're there to help with some sort of problem. If for some reason the king can't help, I'd try the Griffonstone library next.” She further suggested in case speaking with the king falls through as they leaped over a large gap between mountains before Pinkie happily pointed out that they are most at Griffonstone as they see it on top of a distant mountain nearby as she and Twilight eagerly trot forward in that direction. “It's a little known secret that if you befriend a librarian, you can usually find out anything. Plus, as a bonus, there's a statue of King Grover outside!” Twilight giggled as she continued giving her instructions Rainbow Dash drops his jaw at the distance they have to cover before actually reaching Griffonstone while faking a smile for Pinkie before frowning again as they move forward.

“Photo op! And don't forget to sample some famous griffon scones. They're supposed to be the best.” Twilight concluded as they finally reached the official entrance to the kingdom. An arch made out of pure gold with red feathers decorating around its corners, looking like wings.

“Finally, we made it!” Twilight happily celebrated their success as they walked under the arch.

“Told you it was a good idea to come with us.” Pinkie nudged Twilight with an “I told you so.” grin. “Now you can first-hoof see along with us that Griffonstone is…”

Immediately Pinkie stopped mid-sentence as she and Twilight both drop their jaws in shock at the sight they are seeing.

"…A total dump!" Pinkie finished as they witnessed that this was not what they had seen in the pictures back in Ponyville.

“What happened here?” Twilight spoke in shock seeing the state of Griffonstone.

Griffonstone was looking like the placed had recently just got trashed. The homes with golden hay on the roofs were broken with the roofs torn and beaten down beyond repair. There was garbage, twigs, papers, old items, all scattered around the place. Even though the place is a mess the residential griffons don't seem to mind at all. They just went about their business, not speaking to one another and not caring at all that their hometown is in complete disarray.

“Ugh. Maybe the map should've called Rarity instead of us.” Rainbow commented feeling she should have stayed back home in Ponyville.

“Rainbow, I know this place isn’t quite as ideal as we originally and whatever the reason the map summoned you and Pinkie is for you both to find out together.” Twilight told Rainbow while acknowledging “Yes. This place is a mess. But the map summoned you and Pinkie here for a reason.”

“Excuse me, sir?” Pinkie called out to a griffon in front of them. “This is Griffonstone, right?” She asked him as she got in his face who responds by grabbing her by the face and moving her aside before walking off.

“Well, that wasn't very nice.” Pinkie commented finding it a little rude.

“Well you did get right into his face and kind of insulted their hometown.” Twilight honestly and bluntly commented.

“See? These griffons are exactly like I'd thought they'd be.” Rainbow told Pinkie and Twilight in an “I told you so.” tone.

“How about we just head on other to the palace so we can ask the king what’s going on.” Twilight suggested that they move things along so that they can focus on their mission.

“We don’t have a king, losers.”

The trio turned around as they see a female griffon has landed right behind them as she spoke to them.

"Hello, Gilda." Rainbow Dash greeted the griffon with resentment in her voice.

"Dash." Gilda greeted in the same tone.

"Pinkie!" She happily exclaimed her own name as Gilda eyes Twilight.

“And who’s the pony with the wings and horn.” Gilda asked Rainbow as she points a claw at her who returns an unsurprised look considering the last time she was in town. Even though Twilight is aware who Gilda is, they have had little to no interaction with each other.

“Twilight, this is Gilda. Gilda, this is Twilight.” Rainbow grudgingly introduced the two to each other.

“Hello.” Twilight greeted with a smile. “Nice to meet you. Although I did see you the last time you were here.”

“Whatever.” Gilda brushed her off as Twilight’s smile faded by that gesture.

“What are you doing here?” Rainbow asked Gilda in the same bitter tone.

“Uh, I'm a griffon?” Gilda bluntly answered she lives here. “What's your excuse, dweebs?”

“Hey! These 'dweebs' are here to help Griffonstone!” Pinkie defended as she got up in Gilda’s face and rose up a hoof.

“Help it what?” Gilda asked as she lowered her hoof down.

“Well... we're not really sure! But it involves a map and our cutie marks and a problem, and—“ Pinkie awkwardly at first at a loss for words to describe it before explaining what they have now.

“What Pinkie is trying to say they have been summoned here to fix a friendship problem.” Twilight finished for Pinkie as Gilda walks by uninterested.

“Bored now!”

“Well if you don't have a king, could you at least tell us where the Idol of Boreas is?” Pinkie asked still hopeful of completing their mission.

“Ha-ha! Don't tell me you really believe in that thing.” Gilda scoffed as she turned to face them dismissing it is tall tale.

“You'd better believe in it!“ A bald aged griffon spoke from the window as he coughed from the dust in his house fell down the stairs to come out of his house.

Twilight can’t help but notice that the old griffon was blind in his left eye with a scar over his eye.

“What happened to him?” Twilight expressed with Pinkie and Rainbow as he emerged from his house unharmed.

“It was the best thing to ever happen to us griffons!” He further spoke his mind.

“Oh, great. Now you got Grampa Gruff started!” Gilda responded as she rolled her eyes annoyed.

“I'll tell you the whole tragic tale…” Grampa Griffon laughed and offered as he held up his claw expecting something. ”...for a couple of bits.”

Twilight gives Pinkie an “I told you so.” look with a raised hoof to silently reprimand her for her careless spending as she and a reluctant Rainbow Dash each give Grampa Griffon a bit while Pinkie grins embarrassed that she came up short-changed.

Grampa Griffon examines the bits and bites into one of them to make sure they are real. Once he is 100% certain they are real he places them on his head under his fez hat.

“The first griffon king, King Grover, united our kind like we've never been united before or since! And he did it all with that incredible Idol of Boreas.” Grampa Gilda started his story as Pinkie giggles at Griffon mimicking him from behind.

She quickly turned away looking like she was minding her own business as Grampa Gilda glares at her.

As Pinkie resists the urge to the laugh, Twilight quickly uses her wing to slap her while unable to resist finding it funny too as Rainbow just looks at Pinkie unamused.

“That idol brought pride to the heart of every griffon that saw it!” Grampa Griffon further told the story as he led them all to an abandoned palace as Twilight looks on with great interest hearing this while feeling sorry for them. “From one king to the next, Griffonstone had our golden idol. We were the envy of all other species. It held us together – it gave us an identity – right up until the reign of King Guto. That's when Arimaspi came to steal our griffon treasure! King Guto tried to fight him off, but Arimaspi managed to get away with the idol! They say when our treasure fell into the Abysmal Abyss, our pride went with it. King Guto was the last king of Griffonstone, and we all lived miserably ever after. The end!” Grampa Griffon concluded.

“That was the saddest story ever!” Pinkie sadly exclaimed as she teared up hearing that.

“Aw, well...” Grampa sympathetically at first told her until changing to a more harsh tone. “Tough tailfeathers! No refunds!” He yelled at her and flew off.

“No wonder your book ended with the coronation of King Guto.” Pinkie told Twilight as she was in the middle of writing down everything he had just said. “Who would want to record a history that sad?”

“It's not sad!” Gilda retorted as Grampa Griffon flew back down on the ground behind her and crawled out through the hole in the wall behind her. “Do we look sad to you?”

“Well to be honest, yes.” Twilight bluntly commented. “Seeing that this whole place is not exactly an ideal place to spread friendship all around.”

“Exactly!” Rainbow agreed immediately while thanking Twilight for saying something about it out of disgust towards Gilda before turning to face Pinkie after looking at the tree stump in the center of the room and thinking of an idea.

“Pinkie, I think I know why the map sent us here. We need to find the Idol of Boreas and bring glory and pride back to Griffonstone!” Rainbow told Pinkie of what they need to do as Gilda laughs it off.

“Ha-ha. Here we go – typical pony hero complex. None of us care about that dumb old idol. Don't you get it? We don't care about anything, and that's the way we like it!”

“This sound’s familiar.” Twilight thought to herself as Gilda’s words strike a chord of her past through her ears.

“I think Rainbow Dash is right! The map sent us here to fix some sort of problem!” Pinkie commented as she managed to get onto Gilda’s back without her noticing much to her irritation.

“The only problem Griffonstone has is you!” Gilda yelled at her as she ejected Pinkie off of her back and flew off in a huff. Fortunately, Twilight caught her mid-air before she could hit the ground.

“Well, I don't care what she says.” Rainbow responded immediately shrugging off Gilda’s words. “We're gonna find that treasure, make Griffonstone cool again, and get back to Ponyville! Come on!” Rainbow instructed Pinkie to follow her as she flew off ahead.

“Wait, Rainbow Dash. What about Twilight's advice?” Pinkie called out just before Rainbow could take off.

“What, taking a bunch of pictures?” Rainbow asked in confusion as Twilight rolls her eyes annoyed at her answer.

“She mentioned finding answers at the library.” Pinkie brought up as Rainbow throws the guide book at her face as Twilight glares at her for that.

“Knock yourself out.” Rainbow responded she doesn’t care. “But when you get bored with Twilight's tour book, I'll be at the Abysmal Abyss finding the Idol of Boreas.” With that she immediately took her leave and flew off.

“Just let her go.” Twilight advised Pinkie as she picked up her guide and handed it to Pinkie before she could pursue the speedy Pegasus. “She’ll see of how you both have to together in order to complete this mission.” She added as they walked out of the palace and in the direction of their library. “But I am more than happy to help you out with your research.” Twilight added a little giddy at the thought of seeing what awaits in their library.


Twilight and Pinkie traveled around looking for the library when Pinkie sees Gilda carrying a cart from behind and decides to ask her for directions.

“Hey, Gilda! Word on the street is that Griffonstone has an amazing library chock-full of answers!” Pinkie cheerfully greeted the bitter griffon.

“Word on what street?” Gilda irritably asked her.

“Okay, maybe not this street…” She corrected herself “...But on other streets, your library is the talk of the town.”

“The library's right there, so why don't you go inside and leave me alone?!” Gilda complied with her question as she pointed in the direction of the library if that meant Pinkie leaving her alone before yelling at her with her wings spread out at that moment before walking ahead.

As soon as Twilight caught up with Pinkie she gasped in horror at the sight of what she was seeing.

A library that’s completely destroyed with books scattered around and knocked over bookshelves.

“What in the name of Celestia is all of this?” Twilight exclaimed sounding a little devastated as she held up some of the books with torn pages.

“Maybe you were better off that you didn't come at all…” Pinkie commented as she felt guilty for talking her into accompanying them as she eyes a statue of King Grover with a book on its face. She then climbed up to the statue like she is talking to the king himself. “It's sad what happened to your town, King, but Rainbow Dash can't be right. This can't all be because of a missing hunk of gold.” She spoke her thoughts as she removed the book off of the statue’s face and played with the statue’s lips like he is talking to her. “You are right, Pinkie! And you've got amazing hair!” She spoke mimicking King Grover’s voice. “Aw, King Grover, you old charmer!” Pinkie spoke flattered at her own comment.

Twilight on the other hoof was too distraught seeing the state of the library to even chastise Pinkie for toying with statues of important ponies and griffons as she sits down eyeing the torn books.

She then looks around and sees Pinkie eyeing a couple of griffons who bumped into each other and glare at each other as they walk by.

“I know what Griffonstone needs!” Pinkie expressed with a smile after she gasps with an idea in mind.

“Fewer ponies?” Gilda bitterly commented as she placed pastries on display in her cart.

“A song!” Pinkie answered as she jumped up in the air. “I've got a super song about smiling that sure to make even the most grumpy griffon grin!” She added as she got up right in front of her as she inhaled ready to sing yet is quickly stopped when Gilda places a claw over her mouth.

“Can't sing here!” Gilda told Pinkie as she pointed to a sign to a picture of a griffon singing, and a red circle with a slash on it, as proof that’s a rule here.

“Wow.” Twilight commented at the sign with sarcastic surprise. “That’s a shock. Makes me wonder what else you have banned here.”

“But how do you break into uplifting musical numbers with no singing?” Pinkie questioned Gilda with her hooves raised up in the air.

“Yeah, that's Griffonstone's biggest problem – lack of uplifting musical numbers.” Gilda replied just as sarcastic as Twilight as she continued arranging the pastries.

“Well if I can't sing, how about a party? If there's one thing these griffons need, it's a good cheer! Where's your party store?” Pinkie asked offering new ideas to cheer her up yet is met with simple stoic look from Gilda.

“Wow, this is sure bringing back memories.” Twilight said to herself noting that she shares with the stoic and bitter personality from her time as Midnight.

“No party store? Uh, how about cake? Nothing cheers folks up like cake! Where's a bakery?” She further offered as Gilda groans annoyed.

“No singing, no party store, no bakery?! What is this place?!” Pinkie further questioned as she briefly grabbed Gilda and screamed with her hooves in the air.

“You're welcome to leave at any time!” Gilda yelled at Pinkie in response sending Pinkie flying back a few feet into a stone wall from her outburst.

“Look, Gilda.” Twilight politely spoke to Gilda in an attempt to reason with her. “I understand that you are still bitter over what happened the last time you came to Ponyville but all Pinkie is just trying to do is help.”

“Whatever.” Gilda scoffed uninterested in hearing what she has to say.

“Well, that just takes the cake. Wait, no! It can't take the cake 'cause there is no cake! Or muffins! Or griffon scones!” Pinkie spoke in complete disbelief that there is not a lot of cheer in Griffonstone.

“Oh, we got griffon scones. That's my specialty.” Gilda pointed to the pastries on her cart.

“I'll buy one!” Pinkie offered as Gilda picks up a pastry from her cart and quickly pulls the pastry away to keep Pinkie from chomping into it without paying for it first.

“Bits first!” Gilda told her with a raised claw expecting payment.

Twilight stepped forward as she pulled a single bit from her saddlebag as she has took full control of her bits not loaning a single bit for Pinkie so she can waste it on something.

Once she handed the bit to Gilda she stuffs Pinkie’s face with the scone. She tried really hard to chew on it, but the scone was too hard and stale.

"Well?" Gilda asked as she waited to hear her thoughts on the treat. "What, you like it? That's my Grampa Gruff's secret recipe."

Twilight winced when Pinkie yelled out in pain.

"Ow! I think I broke a tooth!" she said as a tooth flew out of her mouth.

"Well, whatever. No refunds. I don't even care anyway.” Gilda spoke in a tone she figures she would say that as she turned away. “I just want to sell enough of these so that I can leave this lousy town.”

“I can help you with that!” Pinkie happily offered with a smile with her mouth showing she has lost some teeth from trying to eat that scone.

“I can help you find a dentist when this is all over.” Twilight cringed at the sight of the teeth she had just lost that are now in her hooves as she has just gathered them and placed them in her bag for safekeeping.


Later Pinkie is sampling another scone yet this time with much less difficultly as she just takes a smaller bite this time.

“Grampa Gruff's recipe is good, but it's missing one important ingredient.” Pinkie commented her kind and honest thoughts about the recipe.

“Don't tell me. "Friendship"?” Gilda sarcastically as she waved her claws around in the same manner.

“No, magic.” Twilight responded just as sarcastic as Gilda as she waved her hooves up mimicking Gilda’s movements with the griffon eyeing her with an annoyed glance at her direction.

“Uh, no. Baking powder.” Pinkie replied in a tone that says not all of the time before presenting a can of baking soda. “Lucky for you, I never leave home without it!” She then adds baking soda to the scones before placing them with acorns on top in the oven. “Now just pop those in the oven and you'll have griffon scones worth their weight in gold!” She concluded her baking instructions as she accidentally tosses her oven mitten in Gilda’s face.

As the new scones baked one of the griffons stopped mid-flight to bask in the smell of the scones as another griffon who wasn’t watching where he was going bumped into her and caused her to fall onto the ground.

“Greta!” Gilda responded in shock as she helped her up who coldly shrugs it off before walking away without even a simple thank you.

“Aha!” Pinkie exclaimed. “I saw that, Gilda! You may act like a gruff, grumbling griffon, but inside you're gracious and great!”

“What are you talking about?” Gilda tried to act like it never happened as Twilight gives her a sly smile that tells her “You can’t fool us, Gilda.”

“You just helped your friend up when she got knocked down.” Pinkie pointed out

“What, her?” Gilda briefly scoffed as she watches Greta walk inside of her house. “Greta's just some griffon I know. We don't have friends here!“ She sighed as she changed her expression to a sad one. “I did have a friend once, but you saw how that turned out.”

Pinkie’s sad expression turned into a realizing expression as her eyes slide apart in opposite directions before snapping to attention. “Oh, my gosh, I gotta go find Rainbow Dash!” Pinkie exclaimed in realization as she ran off on her own.

“See ya.” Gilda groaned seeing Pinkie leave leaving her with Twilight as she focuses on watching over her scones.

“Look, Gilda…” Twilight started as she walks up to her as they both watch over the cooking scones. “I know you and Rainbow Dash don’t see each other as friends but it’s not too late to rekindle your friendship with her.”

“Why would I do that when she made it clear she doesn’t want to be my friend anymore after the way I treated you and your friends.” Gilda scoffed at the very idea.

“Because even with our ups and downs we always make up and forgive each other in the end even if it takes years for it to happen.” Twilight positively replied. “Believe me when I tell you I know that for a fact because I’ve done worse before.”

“Really?” Gilda skeptically replied with a glance. “And how so?”

“Well for starters you’re looking at the pony that used to be known as Midnight Sparkle.” Twilight answered as Gilda seems to have memories ringing back to her at the mention of her name.

“I’ve heard about you.” Gilda spoke as she recognizes her former villainous self as she points a claw at her. “You’re that pony who shattered the Crystal Heart at the Equestrian Games.”

“Yep, that’s me.” Twilight replied and sighed as she looks aside as she is not proud of it.

“Wow!” Gilda spoke amazed of what she’s accomplished as she slightly nudges Twilight on her shoulder. “That’s pretty impressive. Who would have known you’d be capable of doing something so cold and heartless.”

Even though Gilda is not mad at her as she chuckled at the thought of ponies cowering before her, Twilight isn’t taking the compliment in stride.

“Well, point being even though I successfully took over Equestria, I never felt happy deep down as the sting from being abandoned and disowned by my friends and family was still felt deep down in my heart.” Twilight further explained wanting to focus more on her point to Gilda. “It wasn’t until I came to finally realize what I have been doing that I finally had a change of heart and came to forgive them.”

“Wait, after your brother, friends, and the princess all walked out on you like that, you eventually came around to forgive them?” Gilda asked in surprise and taken aback that she would do that even after everything they said and did to her.

“Yes I did, and they forgave me even after everything I did as Midnight Sparkle.” Twilight replied with a nod. “I may not have gone through what you have and I went through and did things much worse than lashing out at other ponies, but I understand what it is like to have felt like the friendship you once had only to be broken up after an argument.”

Hearing this causes Gilda to express some silent sympathy for the alicorn as she ended going through worse yet was able to mend fences in the end as her expression soften as she places a claw on her shoulder.

“I’m sorry to hear that, Twilight.”

“It’s okay and thank you.” Twilight reassured her it’s no big deal know while gratefully acknowledging her sympathy. “I still have a ways to go before everyone’s finally ready to see that I am truly a redeemed pony deep down.” She then turned to face Gilda with a curious expression as Gilda retracts her claw from Twilight hesitatingly and surprised as for once somebody didn’t give her the cold shoulder for showing kindness.

“Can I ask you how you and Rainbow Dash became friends?” She asked the griffon who hesitates to answer at first before replying with a reluctant sigh as she looked aside as she sadly recalled the memory as she first arrived at Cloudsdale’s flight camp when she was a very young griffon carrying a green suitcase.


Back then she was shy and felt out of place being the only griffon at flight camp.

As a young Rainbow Dash flies back three other Pegasus ponies fly over her ready to give her a hard time.

“Doesn't that griffon know she's supposed to fly at the Junior Speedsters Flight Camp?” The brown Pegasus rudely commented as Rainbow blows a cloud in her direction.

“Maybe she just doesn't want to make you look bad!” Rainbow defended as she flew forward literally leaving them in the dust as she flies down to Gilda. “Hey there, I'm Rainbow Dash! And you are...?” She introduced herself.

“Uh... G-G-G-G-Gilda.” The shy griffon nervously replied.

“You sure about that?” Rainbow Dash replied as she crossed her hooves confidently causing Gilda to feel touched by the comfort she was giving her. “Stick with me, Gilda, and those guys won't give you any more guff.” She reassured her as she grabbed her claw to get her to join her in flight. “Whoa! You're awesome!” She complimented her as she was able to perform neat flying tricks such as twirling around in flight and keeping up with her.

“You too, Rainbow Dash!” Gilda returned the compliment as they flew around the skies much to the three bully ponies shock.

“Well, Gilda, let's show these guys how it's done!” Rainbow confidently told Gilda to follow her lead as they fly in towards the trio and plows through scattering them across the sky like bowling pins.

“Junior Speedsters are our lives.” Gilda chanted as she stretched her arms and clenched her claw.

“Skybound soars and daring dives.” Rainbow chanted as she twirled around in flight.

“Junior Speedsters, it's our quest to someday be the very best!” Rainbow and Gilda chanted as they placed their arms on each other backs.


Back in the present, Gilda’s eyes briefly teared up as she recalled the memory of what their friendship was like until the last time they met as she quickly regained her composure.

“Back then she still had a big heart to open out to you whether you were a griffon or a pony.” Twilight spoke complimenting Rainbow’s kindness back then. “That’s definitely true friendship there.”

“Whatever.” Gilda shrugged as if it was nothing but still feels nothing came make up for her behavior back then. “But now she wants nothing do with me and she never will.”

“I’m sure if you told her that you still care about her and you’re sorry for the way you treated her and Pinkie, I’m sure she’s willing to give you another chance and forgive you.” Twilight reassured her as she placed a hoof on her shoulder.

At that moment Gilda focused on checking on her scones and after putting on her oven mittens pulls them out of the oven seeing that they have been cooked long enough.

Both Gilda and Twilight sampled the scones and were both delighted of how much better they tasted than before.

“Mmm.” Twilight spoke delighted by the taste. “Looks like Pinkie got your scones in the right direction in taste.

“Eh. At least I can sell enough of these so I can leave this dump.” Gilda responded as if it was nothing.

Before Twilight could voice her input Pinkie came up to them sounding like she needs Gilda’s help.

“Rainbow Dash is stuck on a ledge in the Abysmal Abyss, and I need your help to save her!” Pinkie frantically spoke as she trotted in place.

“Not my problem.” Gild refused as she turned away.

“Of course it's your problem! She's your friend!” Pinkie pleaded again to reconsider.

“Used to be.” Gilda bitterly remarked.

“Come on, Gilda.” Twilight urged her to help Rainbow. “I understand if you don’t want to be friends with her anymore but I think saving her is the least you do for her.”

Remembering what Twilight had just told her she relented as she replied and got into Pinkie’s face.

"Fine. I'll help her. But that doesn't make me her friend." Gilda firmly spoke of her decision.

“Duly noted.” Pinkie replied in an understanding tone as Gilda walked ahead. “Except it does!” Pinkie spoke to Twilight in a sing-song tone.

“I know.” Twilight replied in the same sing song tone as they ran after Gilda to where Rainbow is trapped on a ledge down in the gorge.

Once Gilda donned climbing gear and made sure she was tied up and secure to a nearby boulder she carefully climbed down the cliff so she can save her.

“Hang on, loser! I'm coming!” Gilda called out as she climbed down as Twilight and Pinkie watch from above.

“What took you so long, doofus?!” Rainbow Dash jokingly replied while pleased that somebody was coming to rescue her.

The strong caught forcing her to hang onto the ledge with her strong talons. The ledge underneath Rainbow finally crumbled and gave way completely causing her to scream as she is falling to her doom down below into the abyss.

“Rainbow Dash! I'm coming for you!” Pinkie called out as she tied herself up with the rope as she leaped down into the gorge in an effort to save her. But by doing so, she untied the rope securing Gilda causing her to be literally dragged down by her.

“Pinkie wait!” Twilight raised a hoof out alarmingly but it was too late to stop her as her words fell on deaf ears as she has already leaped down into the gorge.

All Twilight could do now was watch and hope that they all come out alive.

After minutes of pacing around in worry whether or not they will make it out alive or have fallen to their dooms, Twilight thankfully sees Gilda climb back up the cliff with Rainbow and Pinkie in tow.

Once they were a safe distance from the ledge Twilight immediately embraces her friends in a tight hug.

“Rainbow! Pinkie!” You’re both okay!” Twilight exclaimed in relief and joy that they didn’t die.

“Yeah, thanks to Gilda who pulled us to safety after I was able to slow down Rainbow’s fall but ended up stumbling upon and losing the Idol of Boreas in the process.” Pinkie rapidly explained to Twilight as she tightly hugged her in return.

“So it’s Gilda to the rescue, huh?” Twilight slyly smiled at the griffon as she looked away trying to hide her embarrassment. “It’s a good thing your friendly instincts kicked in.”

“Don’t push it.” Gilda warned Twilight still presenting her prideful and tough appearance even though Twilight still isn’t fooled by her attempts to shrug it off.


The four then made it back to Griffonstone safely as Rainbow Dash stays in flight to keep herself from putting pressuring on her injured leg.

“I'm really sorry about how I treated you two.” Gilda sincerely apologized to Pinkie and Rainbow.

“Thanks, Gilda.” Rainbow acknowledged.

“Apology accepted.” Pinkie also acknowledged.

“And I'm just sorry we didn't get your idol back. Now we'll never be able to solve Griffonstone's problem.” Rainbow Dash glumly returned as she hung her head in failure.

“That's what I was trying to tell you!” Pinkie finally explained to Rainbow much to her surprise. “The map didn't send us here to find the lost Idol of Boreas. It sent us here to replace it with something better!”

“Nothing's better than gold to a griffon.” Gilda said confused of what Pinkie means by that.

“That's because you don't have friendship!” Pinkie responded as she wraps Gilda around her arm. “If you can learn to care about each other again, Griffonstone could be a mightier kingdom than it ever was before! And you don't need some golden idol to do that. You just need each other.”

“Exactly!” Twilight happily replied with a warm smile.

“Whoa, Pinkie. That was... really sappy.” Rainbow spoke sounded amazed before frowning at her response.

“Eh, what can I say?” Pinkie replied with a shrug. “That's how I roll. Go on, Gilda! Go make a friend!” Pinkie urged her to try to reach out to Greta as she and Rainbow pushed her forward in Greta’s direction with a tray of freshly baked scones.

“I don't know, Pinkie. You really think these griffons are up for this? We aren't exactly in Ponyville, you know.” Rainbow Dash asked unsure if spreading friendship outside of Ponyville will work as they watch Gilda and Greta’s conversation.

“Okay, so she was really weirded out until I gave her the scone. Then she tried it and said it tasted good! That's the first nice thing any griffon's ever said to me!” Gilda reported her success of befriending Greta now genuinely smiling as she seems happy for the first time in a while.

At that moment Pinkie and Rainbow’s cutie marks glow to signal that they have succeeded in their mission.

“Whoa, Pinkie. I guess that really was the problem we needed to solve.” Rainbow spoke now sounding impressed with Pinkie for figuring out the real problem.

Pinkie then suddenly appeared in an old film reel quality with baking powder next to her. “Baking powder makes baked goods and friendships fluffy and delicious!” She spoke with a squee in the end.

“Well, we'd better be heading home.” Rainbow Dash told Gilda who reacts in surprise spreading her wings hearing that they are leaving.

“What? Y-Y-You want me to spread friendship here by myself?! How am I supposed to do that?! I haven't even made one single friend yet!” Gilda reacted sounding completely unsure and pressured by this.

“No, you haven't. You've made two.” Rainbow told her with reassurance.

“Three.” Twilight added that she is her friend too causing Gilda to feel really touched hearing this from the Princess of Friendship.

“Hugging! Hugging now!” Pinkie teared up as she brought all four into a huddle.

“But you'll come back and visit, right?” Gilda asked hopeful they will.

“Just try and stop us!” Rainbow jokingly told her “Yes.” In her own way as Gilda politely pulls Pinkie off of her.

“Besides, Griffonstone’s library could really use some renovations.” Twilight politely pointed out to the open book shelves. “And feel free to message the Princess of Friendship as your new pen pal and I’ll happy come by and visit in a flash and help you spread the magic of friendship here in Griffonstone.” She concluded her offer as she handed her an envelope with a pen to which Gilda kindly accepts before they went their separate ways.

“See ya later, you old charmer.“ Pinkie spoke to a statue in front of Gilda and Greta continuing to bond over scones.

“Uh, Pinkie? Who are you talking to?” Rainbow Dash asked her confused of what she is doing.

“Nopony!” Pinkie quickly replied to which Twilight rolls her eyes amused as she knows what she was really doing. “Come on, let's go home and see how Gummy did with Granny Pie's marjolaine recipe!” Pinkie told Rainbow and Twilight as they approached the arch on their way out.

“Wait you put Gummy in charge of the baking?” Twilight asked in surprise hearing this.

“Yep!” Pinkie happily replied.

“Well then let’s hope Sugarcube Corner is still standing by the time you get back.” Twilight couldn’t help but sarcastically quip knowing that Gummy most likely hasn’t done a thing since she left which unbeknownst to her is actually proven correct as Gummy is still holding the roller and is exactly where Pinkie last left her.

Pinkie couldn’t help but laugh at Twilight’s sarcasm. “Oh, Twilight. You are such a kidder.”

Twilight could only smile and giggle not even denying how funny it is as they walk under the arch while pleased with herself that she managed to convince Gilda to make amends with Rainbow and Pinkie and felt much better seeing that friendship is now being spread across Griffonstone thanks to Rainbow Dash and Pinkie’s successful mission.

Author's Note:

In this chapter, you'll see I have included Twilight accompanying Rainbow and Pinkie to Griffonstone for two reasons.

One, just because the map didn't call her shouldn't stop her from going to Griffonstone as long as she doesn't interfere with Pinkie and Rainbow's mission. So like in the Cutie Map, Twilight is once again helping from the sidelines with her advice and guidance.

Two, considering Gilda too has a burnt bridge in friendship between her former friend Rainbow Dash since her visit in Ponyville back in Season 1, it proves a perfect opportunity to help Gilda by getting her to make amends with both Rainbow and Pinkie by telling her of her past experience as the villainous Midnight to show that she can earn their forgiveness and even their friendship if she apologizes for what happened in the past as Twilight herself has done worse than what Gilda which allows Gilda to bond with Twilight from this conversation (which for the record I tried really hard to get their characterization done right when creating this new scene.") as former antagonists really find common ground from their past experience.

Up next will be a short chapter as "The Slice of Life." is next on the list focusing on the wedding of Cranky Doodle Donkey and Matilda and maybe "Princess Spike." if I find something worth focusing on her redemption arc about unlike "Make New Friends but Keep Discord."

PreviousChapters Next