• Published 27th Feb 2020
  • 4,427 Views, 207 Comments

Light and Dark: Road to Redemption - MXCDarkHorse2020



Twilight Sparkle, now the Princess of Friendship, focuses on proving to everypony through the adventures of Season 5 of Friendship is Magic onwards that she truly has redeemed herself for her past actions as Midnight Sparkle.

  • ...
9
 207
 4,427

Chapters Next
Chapter 1: The Cutie Map Part One

Chapter 1:

Cutie Map Part 1:

Beginning of Act One


One fine morning in the new castle, The Mane Six all enter the throne room where Spike is found sleeping on his throne. Once everypony is seated in their specifically designed throne chairs Twilight speaks up ready to get down to business as she paces around.

“Let’s go through this one more time.” Twilight began as she rubbed her hoof under her chin causing Rainbow Dash to groan in aggravation as apparently Twilight has talked about this multiple times now ever since her coronation.

“We've been over it like a million times, Twilight! You found all six keys, defeated Tirek, and got this sweet castle! End of story!” Rainbow Dash quickly told Twilight of what had just happened in a quickly summed up fashion.

“Yes, but why?” Twilight acknowledged but can’t help but question why she isn’t getting all of this so sudden after turning herself around.

“I dunno, sugarcube. Maybe it's just your new house and there ain't nothin' more to it than that.” Applejack answered as she moved to sit in her chair. As soon as she did the cutie mark on her chair glowed.

“I must say, speaking strictly on aesthetics, there really doesn't need to be more to it. It's all simply divine!” Rarity added as she sat down on her chair causing the cutie mark on her chair to glow too while saying all that’s important is that the Twilight they all know and loved is back.

“I agree with Twilight. And Rarity. And Applejack. And Rainbow Dash. And Pinkie Pie.” Fluttershy chimed in as she sat down on her chair with her cutie mark on her chair glowing too. “Oh, and probably Spike.” Fluttershy added as if she almost forgot to include as she turned to him who is still sleeping and snoring on his chair.

“As princess, I've been chosen to spread the magic of friendship across Equestria.” Twilight continued to speak her mind as she continues to pace around the center of the room. “And I intend to fully prove to everypony that I have redeemed myself from my time as Midnight Sparkle. So why would the Tree of Harmony want us to sit in a castle in Ponyville? It doesn't make any sense.” She concluded as she sat down on her chair causing her cutie mark to glow along with the mark on her chair.

Everypony takes notice when the cutie marks on the chair glow as the beams of light they produced all shined onto the star in the center of the room causing crystal rocks to form as a crystal table starts to appear from the center of the room causing Spike to awaken from hearing this who then looks surprised at the sight that had just formed in the middle of the room.

“Is that new? I like it.” Spike commented just as surprised as everypony in the room. “This is incredible! It's got all of Equestria!” Spike then commented in amazement.

“Hi, Mom and Dad!” Pinkie happily commented as she looked at the image of her parent’s rock farm house.

Spike at that moment would end up stepped on the model house causing Pinkie’s eyes to water up as if she thought her parents were killed.

The Mane Six’s cutie marks on their flanks would then glow as projected images of them circling around Twilight’s cutie mark would then float from where Ponyville is to some town near the mountains with Twilight wanting a better look uses her magic to drag Spike off the table so she can examine this.

“But if this is Ponyville, why are our cutie marks over there?” Fluttershy commented wondering what this meant.

“I don't know.” Twilight honestly answered. “But it seems like the map wants us to find out. The Tree, the chest, this castle, and now the map. How can we not follow it?” She questioned her friends.

“Y'know what?” Rainbow Dash flew in close examining some places on the map. “There's a ton of room for dangerous adventure along that route. Count me in!” She quickly put her hoof forward to join Twilight on this trip.

“Aw, shoot, I reckon you're right.” Applejack responded in agreement.

“Well, I was planning on organizing my baking sheets, but okay!” Pinkie answered sounding reluctant to answer the call at first before happily agreeing too.

“Very well.” Rarity reluctantly agreed too with a smile as she and Pinkie turn to Fluttershy expecting her answer wanting her to come along to with Rainbow Dash joining them as well.

“Um, maybe I'll just stay here with Spike.” Fluttershy nervously responded while voicing that she does not want to come.

“Awesome!” Spike happily responded as he wore a drinking hat and a foam finger. “Me and Big Mac have a huge weekend ahead of us talkin' hoofball, and... and trading hoofball cards, and arguing about hoofball stats...”

Hearing all this causing Fluttershy to make weirded out expressions as she sees is signing herself up for activates that only guy and stallions would like.

“O-o-on second thought, m-m-maybe I'd better go with them. In case they need me.” Fluttershy quickly answered to show that she has changed her mind as she turns to Rainbow Dash who smiles in response to her answer.

“Looks like it's time for a road trip.” Twilight told her friends with a confident expression.

“Well, suit yourself. But he's got a Hock Fetlock rookie card I plan to sweet-talk right into these hot little claws.” Spike continued to express his excitement over his guys time plans with Big Mac as the Mane Six head out.


The Mane Six all board the train from Ponyville to their destination as the train rode on tracks through mountains and tunnels until the train reached the end of the tracks as it stopped in front of a yellow and black stripped signed to signal that this is a dead end and the end of the train ride. After their train ride came to a complete stop, The Mane Six all exit the train as it backs away to depart from the dead end stop as Twilight looks the map she made herself for a moment before rolling it up and walking ahead in the direction of the nearby town with her friend’s following right behind her. The Mane Six would then cross a wooden bridge as they reached their destination, a small village down below the mountains.

“That's it! That's the place on the map!” Twilight pointed out as Rarity fumbled with the dust in her hair.

“Right. Let's get down there and find the spa.” Rarity spoke prepared to head on down before being stopped by Twilight who magically teleports in front of her.

“Wait.” Twilight stopped Rarity in her tracks with a hoof on her chest. “We don't know why the map sent us here. We shouldn't just walk right in. It could be dangerous.”

“Yes!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed in excitement at the mention of danger she thrives of engaging in it.

“Stay behind me, everypony! I'm on it!” Pinkie spoke as she stood on her rear hoof while placing her front hoofs in front of Twilight and Rarity with a serious expression.

“Careful, Pinkie!” Applejack called out to Pinkie as she rolled down the mountain and ducked to a nearby rock as she peeks from the corner who motions the others to follow her lead as she stealthily makes her way to town by ducking under nearby rocks while the others walk up behind her as she scoots herself under a huge rock before she and the others peeked at the village as they now got a closer look.

“This is where the map sent us? It looks like the most boring place in Equestria.” Rainbow Dash commented as they watch every pony chatting and walking around.

“It's just an ordinary village full of ordinary pony folk.” Applejack voiced her thoughts.

“It could certainly use a few more architectural flourishes. Or any architectural flourishes.” Rarity commented seeing that the village could use some more fashionable taste of decoration.

“I think it's lovely.” Fluttershy responded seeing there is no problem with what she is seeing.

“I don't like it. I don't like it one bit. I know smiles. And those smiles? They're just not right.” Pinkie suspiciously commented at the sight of the continuously smiling ponies.

“I agree.” Twilight shared the same suspicion as she eyed on the marks on everypony’s flanks. “Look at the cutie marks.” She pointed out that everypony had equal signs on their flanks.

“Okay, that's weird.” Rainbow Dash commented in agreement with Twilight.

“An entire village with the same cutie mark? How can that be?” Twilight questioned the very possibility of that.

“I bet there's some sort of horrific monster behind it.” Rainbow Dash suggested as she watched the village from afar.

“What makes you say that?” Twilight asked.

“'Cause fighting a horrific monster would be super-awesome!” Rainbow Dash excitedly dreamed of.

“Well I not sure I would say monster but definitely some sinister pony lurking around is behind this.” Twilight commented as she observed the village while feeling the need to comment on Rainbow Dash describing a potential said pony as a monster.

“I reckon we just ought to head into town and talk to some locals, find out what's goin' on.” Applejack suggested.

“Great idea, AJ. Let's go!” Rainbow Dash agreed in a dash as she flew in between Twilight and Applejack before she as flew off ahead as the others follow her.

“Those smiles are bad news.” Pinkie shared suspiciously before joining the others in heading into town.

The Mane Six make their way into town where all of the ponies still keep up their friendly yet somewhat creepy smiles as they approach them.

“Welcome.” A gray earth stallion with brown eyes greeted.

“Welcome.” A female Pegasus mother with two fillies by her side greeted.

“Welcome.” A blue unicorn pony with green eyes greeted.

“Welcome.” A pink unicorn with pink eyes and pigtails greeted.

“Welcome.” A blue pony with gray eyes and mane greeted.

“Welcome.” A brown pony with a blonde mane and pigtails greeted as her children walked with her.

“Welcome.” The filies walking with their mother greeted.

“This must be the most pleasant place in Equestria!” Fluttershy positively commented as she flew by as another peagsus with gray fur and a white mane flew up to greet her.

“Welcome!”

Fluttershy giggled at the friendly greeting.

“Ugh. Thanks a lot, map.” Rainbow Dash groaned in boredom.

“Welcome! Pardon my forwardness, but are you an Alicorn?” A light blue furred unicorn greeted as he approached the Mane Six and questioned Twilight who grinned humbly.

“That there's the Princess of Friendship!” Applejack introduced her to him.

“Well, you've certainly come to the right place for friendship.” He further greeted the alicorn.

“What brings you to town?” A white pony with a matching mane and blue eyes questioned Twilight.

“We're not entirely sure.” Twilight honestly answered.

“I see. Well, all are welcome here in our little village.” The white stallion further welcomed the six before introducing themselves as he directs a hoof towards himself and at the pony next to him. “My name is Double Diamond, and this is Party Favor.

“Howdy, Double Diamond. I'm Applejack, and this here's Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, and Twilight Sparkle.” Applejack introduced the whole group by pointing her hoof at each pony around her as Twilight who widely grins again nervously fearing of what would happen if they figured out her past sins as Midnight Sparkle as Double Diamond looks down to closely observe her cutie mark.

“And you all have your own unique cutie marks.” Double Diamond observed her and Pinkie’s cutie marks as Pinkie uses her tail to cover hers.

“If you don't mind, has there been any sort of... trouble here, lately?” Twilight quickly questioned wanting to get down the point and true reason for their visit while going with her gut feeling something is amiss here.

“Trouble? Why, I don't think we've ever had trouble in our little village.” Double Diamond positively answered while still smiling.

“It's true. You'll see. Hm.” Party Favor said in agreement.

“Perhaps you'd care to speak to our founder Starlight Glimmer.” Double Diamond offered as they lead her in her direction.

Hearing the name Starlight Glimmer sparks immediate suspicion in Twilight’s mind as she feels something very familiar about this.

“I wish everypony in Equestria was as friendly as these ponies are.” Fluttershy hopefully wished as she faced her friends.

“I've got my eye on them. Something's rotten in... whatever the name of this village is that we're.” Pinkie suspiciously told her as she sees the smiling ponies following them.

“Agreed.” Twilight agreed with Pinkie in the same tone. “Something is definitely suspicious around here and I think this pony we are about to meet is behind all of this.”

Double Diamond and Party Favor approach a door and both knock on it at the same time.

“Starlight, we have some new visitors.” Double Diamond told the pony inside as all eight ponies walk inside.

“Be ready to fight. We don't know what's gonna come through that door.” Rainbow Dash warned Applejack in a whispered tone as the pony opens the door in front of them and out from the room is a pink unicorn with a purple mane with light blue streaks and blue eyes.

“Welcome! I'm so pleased to have you here.” Starlight happily greeted the Mane Six.

Rainbow Dash groaned in disappointment as if she was expecting somepony more dangerous while Twilight on the other hoof looked on in frozen shock as she is envisioning Midnight in her place.

“This is Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, and Twilight Sparkle.” Double Diamond introduced the Mane Six to Starlight as she inspects Twilight closely who grins nervously again while shaking her wings a little while recovering from her shock.

“Forgive my bluntness, but I'm assuming its Princess Twilight Sparkle? We don't get many Alicorns around here.” Starlight questioned Twilight who still grins nervously.

“Yes, but "Twilight" is fine.” Twilight humbly and nervously responded as she is still seeing Starlight is like seeing her evil counterpart through the mirror.

“So! How did you hear of our little village?” Starlight eagerly questioned while still smiling a little creepier this time.

“It's kind of a long story. Let's just say we found it on a map.” Twilight explained the short and straight to the point way.

“Technically, it's a Tree-chest-castle-map!” Pinkie Pie happily added before her face turned back to her suspicious face as she moved away from Starlight.

“Well, however you found us, we're happy to have you! We're happy to have any pony who wants to experience true friendship for the first time.” Starlight spoke with pleasure in her voice as the Mane Six eye each other in confusion by what she meant.

“Say what?” Applejack questioned out of confusion.

“Oh, indeed. That's what's so unique about our village, you see. Around here, we don't flaunt our special talents because we don't have any special talents to flaunt.” Starlight explained as she moved towards a nearby picture of an equal sign cutie mark and correctly readjusted it perfectly to her liking.

“Is that why you all have those cutie marks?” Twilight questioned as she points a hoof at the equal sign cutie mark on her flank.

“Perhaps it would be easier to understand if I gave you a tour of the village!” Starlight happily and politely offered with another bright smile as she stepped forward towards the door as she addresses everypony in town.

“Heads high, ponies! Marching proud! All together now! Every one of you! No pony left behind!” Starlight Glimmer marched throughout town wanting everypony still smiling to follow her lead as she begins to sing.

"Life is so grand in Our Town

We're always filled with cheer

We never have to look around

To know that we're all here.”

Starlight sang as she marched forward and then turned towards the Mane Six as the town ponies circle around them.

“In Our Town, in Our Town

We don't have to wait

To find out that our destiny

Is just to emulate.”

The towns ponies sang as they marched around the Mane Six.

Twilight watching this is really getting more and more uneasy seeing this unicorn is bad news as she leads the towns ponies into song with her charisma just like her when she was Midnight.

“Let's see those big, happy smiles!” Starlight instructed everypony to continue keeping up their wide smiles.

“Life is a smile in Our Town

Our cutie mark's the same

Because we do not separate

Ourselves by more than name.”

Starlight sang as the town ponies marched into single file formation.

“In Our Town, in Our Town

We dare not compete

Winning only breeds the worst

Ego-filled conceit.”

The town ponies sang as two Pegasus ponies flew up to Rainbow Dash to lower her back down to the ground leaving her exasperated and insulted that these ponies see competition for ponies with overinflated egos and that it brings out the worst in ponies win or lose.

“You see? Now everypony wins!” Starlight told Rainbow to encourage her tht her approach to friendship is better this way leaving Rainbow uncomfortable with that idea.

“Life is a joy in Our Town

We're all equal here

No one is superior

And no one shakes in fear.”

Starlight sang as she marched upfront and used her magic to make sure one of the mares has her mane tied up pig-tail style like everyone other mare in the village to which Twilight took notice of.

“In Our Town, in Our Town

We work as a team

You can't have a nightmare

If you never dream.”

The town ponies sang they marched in rows of four in front of the Mane Six.

“Other ponies argue

Do you ever wonder why?”

Starlight sang as she trots around Pinkie and Fluttershy as the former is more warm-welcoming while the latter is still frowning very suspicious at their smiles.

“When you think your talent's special

You don't see eye-to-eye.”

Starlight sang as she trotted up to Twilight and placed a hoof on her which Twilight backed up front seeing this gesture very uncomfortable and her polite facade a front to get everypony to trust her.

“There's just too many differences

That lead to disarray

But when you learn to act as one

It's like a holiday.”

Starlight sang as the town ponies danced around.

“In Our Town, in Our Town

We don't complicate

When you learn to simplify

Life is oh, so great.”

The town ponies sang as Fluttershy started dancing to the tune to which Pinkie which frowns at her to get her stop to which Fluttershy recoils in submittion.

“Join in our utopia

Come out of the dark

Banded by equality

By our cutie mark!”

The town ponies sang as they formed up in single file and row and row formation with the peagsus ponies flying through with an equal sign banner.

“You're kidding, right? Give up our cutie marks? No way!” Rainbow Dash laughed off the very idea.

“Rainbow Dash, don't be so rude.” Fluttershy scolded her. “I don't think we should judge them. They all seem perfectly happy with their choice.”

“Don't believe their smiles, Fluttershy.” Pinkie quickly warned Fluttershy against trusting them.

“I'm sorry, I guess we're just a little confused by all of this.” Twilight politely told Starlight.

“We have no judgements here in our village. Each of us was confused once as well, blinded by the false promise of our cutie marks.” Starlight assured Twilight nopony holds any judgement on them.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa. Is she for real?” Rainbow Dash questioned as if all of this is a huge joke which earned her a "shut up" glare from Twilight.

“When we were sent to this village, we assumed it was to help in some way. But, well, it doesn't seem like you need any help.” Twilight explained her reasons for visiting while still politely smiling even though her heart is racing a little when addressing Starlight as she senses a lot of similarities between them.

“Have you considered perhaps that you might have been sent here so we could help you?” Starlight suggested as she placed a hoof on Twilight's chest. “After all, nopony has ever come to our village and wanted to leave. Why should you be any different?” She questioned the Mane Six who look at each other in confusion. “But that is entirely your choice. Please enjoy our little corner of Equestria. We're all quite fond of it. No doubt you will be as well.” She continued to politely address the visitors while subtly smirking which Twilight nervously gulped when she took notice of that. “Double Diamond, please help our guests with whatever they might need.” Starlight instructed him to help them feel accommodated for their visit.

“Of course.” Double Diamond obliged to Starlight’s request who continues grinning at the Mane Six who all look uneasy by this gesture as Starlight trots off.

As Twilight watched Starlight head off she could tell from past experience that she is up to something no good and could picture the same devious smirk she used to constantly sport whenever things were going her way.

As the Mane Six walk forward with Double Diamond right behind them more town ponies greeted them while still sporting the same smiles.

“A cutie mark is a representation of a pony's unique talents and skills. How is it possible to—“ Twilight questioned the very possibility of all of this before being interrupted by Rarity’s gasping.

“What in the name of Equestria is that?!” Rarity exclaimed as she pointed a hoof at ragged brown cloaks.

“Welcome! Care to sample some local fashion? We've got cloaks this month!” The brown stallion offered to which Rarity resisted the urge to throw up.

“Wha— Ooh, er, perhaps another time, good sir, thank you.” Rarity awkwardly and politely told him as she nervously backed away as the group proceeded to sit on a nearby table “No wonder nopony's wearing anything!” She whispered to her friends.

“Really, girls!” Fluttershy scolded the girls in a hushed tone. “They may do things a bit differently than we're used to, but that's no reason to be rude.”

“No, the reason to be rude is that they all keep staring at us!” Rainbow Dash commented feeling the need to correct Fluttershy.

“Need something?” Double Diamond asked the Mane Six from a table.

“Uh, no! We're good!” Twilight politely told him before turning back to the girls in a hushed tone. “Fluttershy's right. If we're going to get to the bottom of why the map sent us here, we'll need the help of these ponies.”

“I think we ran off to the end of Equestria before we even knew what that map was!” Applejack complained that this is all a waste of time.

“If we were at the end of Equestria, we'd be sitting on a big 'A'!“ Pinkie Pie giggling joked as she raised her hooves up. “Get it?”

“Oh, please, Miss Pie! This is hardly the time for jokes! We've come all this way and for what?” Rarity disagreeing remarked.

“Maybe you're right. But we're here now, and it sure feels like something's wrong.” Twilight shared as she voiced her personal thoughts. “Especially with Starlight because she is clearly up to something.”

“That and two bits will get you a cup of cider.” Applejack added.

“Is this a bad time?” The waitress pony who had listening to their conversation politely chimed in.

“We shouldn't be bickering like this in front of our new friends. Really, Applejack, you're almost as bad as Rainbow Dash!” Fluttershy continued to defend the villagers while scolding Applejack.

“Don't drag me into this!” Rainbow Dash objected to Fluttershy’s comment.

“Is your friendship ending?” The waitress questioned as she faced Rarity.

“Are you crazy?! We'd never let a disagreement get in the way of food!” Pinkie Pie energetically exclaimed.

“O-kay, well, my name is Sugar Belle.” The waitress introduced herself and used her magic to lift up a notepad ready to take their order. “What can I bring you? We have: muffins... “

The group expected more items off the menu to be offered but her awkward silence clues them in that muffins are the only thing she can offer.

“Then I guess we'll take six muffins!” Twilight told her.

“Make that twelve!” Pinkie Pie eagerly exclaimed as her friends give her weird looks. “What? I'm hungry!” She defended herself.

“Come on, girls. We've got to stick together. It doesn't matter what happened before, we're here now.” Twilight spoke to her friends in a hushed tone to ensure nopony else is eavesdropping on their conversation.

“I guess you're right.” Applejack accepted. “And the sooner we figure out why, the sooner we can go home.”

At that moment Sugar Belle came back with a plate of muffins she placed in the center of the table.

“Forgive me for overhearing” Sugar Belle mindfully said. “But just a moment ago you were disagreeing, and now it sounds like you're... agreeing.”

“Uh-huh...” Applejack responded with crossed hooves.

“Well, you had such differing opinions – and cutie marks.” Sugar Belle continued to speak with confusion and incomprehension.

“We have differing opinions all the time, darling.” Rarity answered as if it is no surprise to them.

“But you look like you're friends.” Sugar Belle pointed out.

“We are friends. A simple disagreement wouldn't change that.” Twilight positively responded which led to Sugar Belle smiling nervously at that statement before frowning as she again speaks her mind.

“I'm sorry, I'm just having a hard time understanding. Different talents lead to different opinions, which lead to bitterness and misery.” She explained before turning her frown back into a smile. “So... why aren't you bitter and...?”

Sugar Belle is quickly interrupted when Pinkie Pie chokes and spits out a muffin she had just ate “Blech!” She quickly corrects herself by faking a smile to feign politeness. “Mmmm... good...”

“It's all right.” Sugar Belle assured Pinkie she holds nothing against her for not liking her muffins. “I know I'm not a very good baker.” She admitted. “At least, I know I'm not any better than anypony else in the village.” She took a glance behind her directed at Double Diamond and quickly darted back with a sense of anxiety. “Well, I... hope you enjoy our little village!”

She began walking inside the shop as Pinkie loudly scraped the bits and pieces of muffin off her tongue. Sugar Belle quickly stopped between Twilight and Pinkie to address before.

“Come inside before you go! Meet me downstairs!” Sugar Belle told them in distress before going back to sporting her forced grin before heading inside.

“Okay, that was weird too.” Rainbow Dash commented as she stretched out her hoof across the table.

“Let's all sit here and eat these muffins and act normal.” Twilight instructed the others in a hushed tone as she eyed everypony around them suspiciously. “I think we're being watched.” She points out to everypony still wide smiling at them while doing their daily business.

“You think?” Rainbow Dash sarcastically replied.

“No, not like that!” Twilight corrected. ”I mean somepony here doesn't want us talking to Sugar Belle.” She added as she pointed her eyes at Double Diamond who is watching them while biting into a muffin.

“I got an idea.” Applejack offered an idea. “But you gotta eat all of them muffins, Pinkie.”

“Me?! Why me?!” Pinkie protested.

“You got a stronger stomach than any of us, and that filly in there might be our best chance at findin' out what the hay is goin' on round here.” Applejack reasoned with her who reluctantly sees her point as she proceeds to bite into and eat all of the muffins and by the time she finally manages to eat them all her face is now sickly green.

“I can't believe you ate all our muffins, Pinkie Pie!” Applejack announced as the others look at everypony with forced smiles. “We'd best go inside and get some more!”

The Mane Six immediately head downstairs per Sugar Belle’s instructions.

“Nice work, Pinkie.” Twilight commended Pinkie as they headed downstairs as Pinkie Pie bounced downstairs with a balloon belly.

“I've accidentally eaten cardboard tastier than that...” Pinkie sadly commented over being forced to literally stomach in all of those muffins.

“Hello? Sugar Belle?” Twilight called out.

“Thank you for coming!” Sugar Belle spoke up as she emerged from the dark and sported another wide smile.

“Why did you want us to come down here?” Twilight asked.

“So nopony could see what's about to happen.” Sugar Belle answered with a smirk as some of the ponies gather around them ominously causing Twilight to ready her horn to attack in self-defense until Part Favor leaned in like a fan pony.

“Are you really the Princess of Friendship?” Party Favor questioned.

“Do you know Princess Celestia?” Night Glider questioned as she leaned in towards Twilight.

“I love your cutie mark!” Sugar Belle commented as she touched Pinkie’s flank.

“How can you be friends with different cutie marks? Don't you end up hating each other?” Night Glider questioned as she flew in front of Rarity and Fluttershy.

“Oh, look at this one! This one's great too!” Sugar Belle commented on Fluttershy’s cutie mark as she touched her flank. “I'd love to have my special talent back even just for a day! Make something besides those disgusting muffins...” She added sounding depressed.

“So what's stopping you? Go get your cutie marks back.” Rainbow Dash responded wondering why it’s so hard to do so.

“Daydreaming is one thing, but you mean actually having it put back on? That seems extreme.” Party Favor answered as he spoke.

“I'm not sure Starlight would like that. She wants us all to be happy in our sameness.” Sugar Belle mentioned.

“How do you take somepony's cutie mark anyway?” Twilight asked.

“The cutie unmarking is a beautiful experience!” Night Glider answered and recalled. “Starlight uses the Staff of Sameness to magically take them away and replace them with these.” She explained as she pointed towards the equal sign marks on her and the other’s flanks.

“But nopony should keep you from your cutie mark. It represents such an essential part of who you are.” Twilight spoke from experience on her thoughts about it.

“Oh, we're not kept from them.” Night Glider quickly responded. “They're in the vault up in the caves. We can visit them any time we like to remind us of the heartache of a life with special talents.”

After a moment of thinking Twilight asked them. “Can we visit this cave?”

“I don’t think so.” Starlight answered as she suddenly appeared in front of them with a frown.

“Starlight.” Double Diamond quickly answered in a panic. “Hi, we we’re just…” He tried to explain.

“Explaining to a pony who used manipulate other’s lives for her own gain.” Starlight interrupted as she pointed a hoof at Twilight.

“Me?” Twilight asked in offensive hearing this accusation.

“Yes, you the pony who faked her own death from a train accident worked her way into power and becoming an alicorn, and not to mention shattering the Crystal Heart in order to take over Equestria, Midnight Sparkle.” Starlight pointed out that she knows all of her sins as Midnight Sparkle.

“Is this true?” Sugar Belle questioned Twilight hoping what she is hearing isn’t true.

“Well, yes but…” Twilight tried to explain herself honestly before being cut off by Starlight.

“Then you are guilty as charged!” Starlight again pointed out to Twilight.

Hearing this revelation causes the three ponies to be devastated hearing this as almost as they were really starting to trust her.

“And since I can’t have dangerous criminals like you flying around in my town. I am going to have to order you to leave this town before you cause anymore trouble from when you arrived.” Starlight ordered Twilight as she pointed a hoof towards the exit.

“Now wait just a darn tootin moment there.” Applejack quickly stepped in front of Twilight in her defense. “You got some darn nerves straight out accusing her like that when she has already learned from her mistakes and redeemed herself.”

“That’s right!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed as she flew up in front of Starlight. “And if it hadn’t been for her we’d all be living in a wasteland of a power and magic hungry centaur by now.”

“It’s okay girls.” Twilight responded in downcast tone. “It is for the best that I leave.” She told her friends as she headed upstairs so she can leave the village much to their surprise that she is complying with Starlight’s demands. “I don’t want to create anymore damage that I already have caused.” She added as voiced wavered a bit as Starlight’s accusation stung her to the core as she trotted upstairs much to her friends’ dismay and to Starlight’s delight seeing her comply with her demands.

Twilight would then make her way outside as all of the ponies who had heard their conversation all give her frowns and glares of disappointment over her actions as Midnight Sparkle as she hangs her head in shame walking through town.

With one last look back with tears forming around her eyes, Twilight flies off ahead while crying.


Twilight would then retreat to some nearby caves where she would hide under the rocks so she can cry to herself seeing that even though her closet friends forgive her doesn’t mean everypony else is willing to do the same as she truly does feel she hasn’t truly earned her redemption for what she has done as Midnight Sparkle.

While she was crying she heard cries of pain from the Mane Five from a nearby cave to which Twilight flies over to the cave where her friends are inside to witness what is happening to them right now as she sees them being forcibly stripped of their cutie marks by Starlight with the power of her magic and staff who quickly places them inside a huge vault where everypony’s cutie marks are being held hostage.

Twilight gasps in horror as she witnesses this while looking at Starlight in fear as she envisions Midnight in Starlight’s place.

“Aw. I don't blame you for what you tried to do here today. You've spent your whole lives thinking those marks are a good thing.” Starlight gloated still trying to make the whole situation still sound positive.

“Give them back!” Applejack demanded.

“Well, now you can spend the rest of your lives here with us! And we'll teach you just how much better life can be without your cutie marks!” Starlight further gloated in refusal as she put her staff away as the ponies who gathered inside of the cave gather around them.

From outside the cave, Twilight watches the scene from afar completely frozen in fear and shock of what Starlight had just did as if she had done something similar to what she has done in the past but worse before quickly flying out of the cave to avoid being discovered.

Author's Note:

Here in the beginning of this story we have the Mane Six going on a friendship mission like in canon to Starlight's village where the difference is word of Twilight's past actions as Midnight has been spread to there as Starlight knows and uses it throw back her own words to get her leave in shame.

Goes to show that Twilight literally sees her dark self in Starlight showing fear at the sight of her own evil counterpart and clearly doesn't want to become that very pony again and that just because many ponies in Ponyville and Canterlot are willing to forgive her after reforming doesn't mean everypony else is going to do the same.

For this version I wrote down Twilight being kicked out of town which gets her to see the beginning of the backlash for her sins as Midnight Sparkle.

Of course by banishing Twilight that leaves her open and free to figure out how to save only her friends but the whole town from being permanently stripped of their cutie marks.

Chapters Next