• Published 27th Feb 2020
  • 4,427 Views, 207 Comments

Light and Dark: Road to Redemption - MXCDarkHorse2020



Twilight Sparkle, now the Princess of Friendship, focuses on proving to everypony through the adventures of Season 5 of Friendship is Magic onwards that she truly has redeemed herself for her past actions as Midnight Sparkle.

  • ...
9
 207
 4,427

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 30: The Times They Are Changeling

Chapter 30:

The Times They Are Changeling

One day at the Crystal Empire, the friendship express train is heading towards the Crystal Empire train station. Inside the train were only three passengers, Twilight Sparkle, Spike, and Starlight Glimmer.

The three are coming over to pay Shining Armor, Princess Cadance, and Flurry Heart a visit. Hopefully, she can be able to really get to spend some quality time with her niece without having to deal with the threat of Midnight Sparkle who was there the first time they met and the last time they were at the Crystal Empire.

"I hope Shining Armor and Princess Cadance don't think it's too soon for me to come back to the Crystal Empire for a visit. But I just know Flurry Heart's grown so much already. I wonder if I'll even recognize her." Twilight happily and hopefully said as they looked out the window to see the Crystal Empire in the distance before turning to her pupil who is currently reading one of the books Twilight had asked her to read.

"She's the only baby they have, Twilight. I think it'll be pretty easy to figure out who she is considering she is the only baby alicorn.” Starlight responded as she rolled her eyes a little that she would think that.

“True.” Twilight replied not taking offense at an obvious fact being pointed out to her.

“I know you want to visit your niece as much as possible, and I'm excited to see Sunburst again. I just don't wanna fall behind on my friendship lessons back home.” Starlight acknowledged of how much she is looking forward to this visit while trying not to come across as avoiding her lessons.

“Starlight, your work in Ponyville isn't going anywhere.” Twilight assured her pupil it’s no big deal. “Besides, I think we all know you can learn about friendship anywhere. Right, Spike?” She then said as she turned to Spike who was reading the paper while donning a brown trench coat, red shades, and a gray hat.

“"Spike?" Who's "Spike"?” Spike blatantly denied with a deep voice.

“Pfft. Uh, you're Spike, Spike.” Starlight told him amused as she and Twilight don’t buy the act for one second. “And why are you dressed like that?”

“Guys, you're blowing my cover!” Spike complained. “How'd you even know it was me?”

“Because you're you... in a coat, hat and glasses. Also, we're the only ones here.” Starlight answered as pointed out the obvious facts and motioned her hoof to the empty train cart they were in.

“Right.” Spike said as the realization dawns on him.

“Spike, why do you need a disguise?” Twilight asked.

“Last time we came to the Crystal Empire, there was a lot goin' on with the new baby and the Crystalling, but I still got mobbed in the street.” Spike replied as he briefly took off his shades.

“I wouldn't say mobbed.” Starlight tried to say that was an exaggeration.

“And this is just a family visit. I wouldn't want the presence of Spike the Brave and Glorious to turn it into some kind of circus.” Spike brought up not wanting anymore excessive again.

“We get it. The Crystal Ponies adore you.” Starlight acknowledged his point as the two ponies smirked.

“He did save the Empire. Twice.” Twilight brought up. “But still, I don't think your presence will turn our visit into a circus.”

“Not if I find the right disguise, it won't.” Spike brought up as put on orange clown hair on his head much to Twilight and Starlight’s amusement.

“From a previous master of disguise, I think you’re going to need something a little more convincing than that.” Twilight honestly advised to which Spike set off to search deeper into his bag of disguises.

When the train pulled into the station where the three left the train and then noticed that the place is deserted. No pony was in sight the looked around to their surroundings.

"Disguise or no disguise, Spike, I don't think you'll need to worry about being mobbed this time, Spike," Starlight commented as she point a hoof to their surroundings. "No pony’s here."

"This is strange." Twilight commented.

“Yeah it’s like a ghost town here.” Spike brought up as they made their way to the Crystal Castle.

“I've got a bad feeling about all of this." Twilight said acknowledging whatever is going on it can’t be good. “I just hope Midnight hasn’t done anything since the last time we saw her.”

"Hopefully.” Starlight said just as worried as she looked around for nearby signs of trouble. “Just knowing she’s back somewhere is like we're being watched by her without even knowing it." Starlight said.

“Yeah, not to mention how very scary it is.” Twilight said in agreement as they made their way into town.


The three made their way through the empire, but have not come across a single crystal pony on the way as the streets were completely empty aside from a tumbleweed simply blowing by.

"Yeah, this is weird.” Starlight said as she continued looking around to their surroundings. “Think maybe we should just go back and try again another time?”

“Let’s first find out what’s happening before we decide to stay or leave.” Twilight said in response insistent on staying. “If Midnight is back we definitely would want to be around to stop her.”

"I guess I don't need the disguise after all.," Spike said as he removed the shades, clown hair, and took off the trench coat.

Immediately after removing his disguise, Spike suddenly found himself surrounded by a mob of crystal ponies that all seemed to appear from out of nowhere and then lifted him up into the air.

“It's Spike the Brave and Glorious, he’s come to save us once again!" One crystal mare exclaimed in excitement.

"Spike! Spike! Spike! Spike!!" Several crystal ponies all chanted at as they tossed Spike up and down in their hooves.

“Save you from what?” Spike asked in confusion.

“Yeah what’s going on?” Starlight just as confused.

“Why was everypony hiding?” Twilight also asked just as confused as two crystal mares turned and looked at them in

"Huh. It sure does look like the Princess of Friendship and her student." One mare commented.

"Yeah, but how can we be sure?” The other mare asked sounding very uncertain.

"We...we can't." An orange crystal stallion told them very nervously and shaken up. "Either one of them could be the... you know..." He added as he ran off leaving the two mares confused.

“What if this... isn't... the real Spike?!” One of the crystal mare asked between gasps as she grabbed the other’s mare cheeks who screamed to everypony.

“Everypony, run!”

And just like that all of the crystal ponies ran away in a flash leaving Spike in mid-air to which Twilight quickly caught him with her magic before he could hit the ground

“Okay. Something strange is definitely going on.” Twilight voiced her concerns.

“Ya think?” Spike said in response as if she is taking longer than she should have to figure it out.

"We need to get to the castle to make sure that the rest of the royal family is okay!" Twilight told the others as she leads them in the castle’s direction.


In little to no time, Twilight, Starlight, and Spike all approached the front gate of the royal crystal palace where they were hostilely greeted by two guards standing in front of the entrance.

"Who goes there?!" The yellow coated stallion declared with a raised hoof to stop them in their tracks.

“Um, you don't recognize the Princess of Friendship?” Starlight asked thinking that shouldn’t be too hard to see the pony herself.

“Along with her pupil along with Spike who you all call him as the Brave and Glorious?” Twilight added in the same tone as Starlight clearly annoyed that they are asking questions with the obvious answer right in front of them.

"Of course we recognize you all." The yellow coated stallion responded.

“But that doesn't mean it's really is the real Twilight, Spike, and Starlight.” The purple coated stallion added.

“But of course it’s me.” Twilight responded very annoyed and irritated by this point. “How could we be not?”

"I’m sorry, but we'll need to see some proof of identification." The purple coated stallion refused to believe them.

"Is this some kind of a joke?" Starlight asked in an incredulous tone. "Does the names 'Twilight Sparkle' and 'Starlight Glimmer' not ring any bells to any pony here?! We just want to see Shining Armor and Princess Cadence, we’re all friends and allies here."

"But how do we know you're the real Twilight, Starlight, and Spike?" The yellow coated stallion suspiciously asked again.

Fortunately for the trio but any of them could start arguing with them, Shining Armor and Princess Cadence came out to see them with the former in his captain's attire and armor with Sunburst behind them, carrying Flurry Heart in a cradle held by his magic.

“We'll take care of things from here.” Princess Cadance instructed the guards to stand down as they approach the visiting trio.

“Oh, Cadance, thank goodness!” Twilight said in relief to see them before popping the question. “What's going on?”

“We can explain, Twily... if it really is you.” Shining Armor calmly answered before motioning for his wife to approach Twilight.

“Sunshine, sunshine...” Cadance chanted.

“...ladybugs awake!” Twilight joined in on theirs signature greeting by repeated the motions with Cadance in unison. “Clap your hooves and do a little shake!” The two alicorns then embraced each other for a hug.

“It's okay, everypony. It's her.” Shining Armor told the guards.

“But what these two?” The yellow coated stallion asked while pointing a hoof.

Starlight responded by showing a display of magic by simply performing a display of acrobatic movements in the air with zero effort while Spike simply breathed fire. Both looked very annoyed as they silently give them “Is that enough proof for you guys?” with a deadpan look. “Never mind.” They said in embarrassment as they backed off their aggressive stances towards them

“Seriously?!” Starlight expressed her annoyance. “Forgive me for saying this but what is going on because from the looks of this place it looks like a ghost around here?“

“Sorry about that, but just we’ve been taking some extreme precautions around here.” Princess Cadance apologized on the guard’s behalf.

“This isn’t because of the threat of Midnight is it?” Twilight hopefully asked that she isn’t back.

“No, not her.” Shining Armor reassured his little sister. “Thankfully!”

“The reason is because a changeling's been spotted nearby.” Sunburst explained to the visiting trio as Starlight approaches her.

“A changeling?!” Twilight said in alarm.

“That's not good.” Spike remarked.

“No, it's not. After Queen Chrysalis took my place at our wedding and invaded Canterlot with her army of minions, we're not taking any chances.” Cadance explained to everypony of the extra precautions they have been taking.

“Changelings feed off of love. And ever since Flurry Heart's Crystalling, the Empire is filled with more love than anywhere in Equestria. It's possible they've come for the baby.” Sunburst explained to everypony of why.

“That's why we posted the extra guards, and why we're…” Shining Armor also explained.

“Checking everypony's identity.” Twilight finished now understanding of the situation.

“I'm sorry for all of this.” Princess Cadance apologized with a sigh. “Flurry Heart's really been looking forward to seeing you.”

Both Twilight and Starlight got a good look at the cooing baby alicorn who is smiling to confirm that she is happy to see her aunt.

“Oh, she's gotten so big!” Twilight as she held out her left hoof for her niece to hold. “Starlight and I will do whatever we can to help protect her. That is if it’s okay for us to be here with the whole empire on high alert.” She added to make sure her sister-in-law and brother are okay with them visiting now.

“Of course it is!” Princess Cadance replied yes it is. “And to be honest, having you here is already a big relief.”

Now knowing they are dealing with the real Spike the yellow coated stallion whispers something into Shining Armor’s ear.

“Hmm. The royal guards were wondering if Spike the Brave and Glorious would like to join in the search for the changeling.” Shining Armor told Spike.

“Really?” Spike asked with eager interest.

“Uh, I don't know if that's such a good idea, Spike. It sounds dangerous.” Twilight voiced her objections to that proposal.

“Don’t worry, Twily.” Her brother assured her. “It’s just a little patrol and security sweep to the borders of the Crystal Empire. He'll have guards by his side the whole time. And if he does happen to come across him, he is to immediately answer to me and I’ll take things from there.”

Twilight thought about it and then relented with a sigh.

“Just please promise me you’ll be careful, Spike?” Twilight asked the young dragon to stay safe. “I really don’t want to lose you.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll be fine it’s like your brother said it’s just a little patrol to the border and back.” Spike assured her as he hugged her to which she returns. “You know how much you care for me like any mother would.”

With that said, Twilight and Starlight made their way inside of the castle with Flurry Heart in tow they made their way to her room to where Twilight and Starlight both got turns playing with the baby and thanks to Sunburst helping her stay up to date with her spells she didn’t cause any trouble like last time.

When Starlight took her turn again she secretly took a look at her crystal orb to check up on how Spike’s doing with the patrol.


So far Spike managed to effectively lead the patrol very well but when he took a small detour he ended up sliding down a steep hill. Twilight was alarmed by what she was seeing by seeing him nearly fall down into a trench. Fortunately, he didn’t fall down to her relief as he needed turned his direction towards what seemed to be his reflection in a glass wall to which seemed to be the case until the Spike reflection moved on its own and then revealed himself to be the lone changeling spotted leaving Twilight more alarmed than before as Spike screams in fright.

He then tried to run away only to bump into the icicle before falling back into the trench. But to both Spike and Twilight’s surprise the changeling saved him.

“What?” Twilight said in surprise. “That changeling saved him?”

“This is unexpected.” Spike unknowingly spoke Twilight’s mind at the time.

“The ice is pretty slippery. I wouldn't want you to get hurt because of me.” The changeling apologetically told him.

“You... saved me?” Spike asked in surprise.

“It's okay. I know you don't wanna be friends.” The changeling glumly as he turns to leave.

“Wait! I don't understand. Changelings are supposed to be evil... right?” Spike called out to him.

“Evil? Oh, not me. All I've ever wanted is a friend.” The changeling told him it is not the case for him.

“From the moment I first split my egg in the nursery hive. “I was part of the attack on Canterlot during the royal wedding, but I'd never seen true friendship like that! And I couldn't just steal it and feed on its love. I wanted to share it! After that, I knew I couldn't live with my kind anymore. I set off looking for love to share, but...” The changeling explained as Twilight is looking very confused and sympathetic for the changeling’s plight.

“But... what?” Spike asked.

“I'm starving! And there's so much love in the Crystal Empire right now. It's what drew me here! But it's drivin' me crazy!” Thorax explained.

“That would be from the royal Crystalling. It's pretty much a giant outpouring of light and love for a new baby.” Spike told him of what the source of love drew him here was.

“If I had a friend, maybe the love we shared could sustain me, but I don't think the Crystal Ponies want to be friends.” The changeling suggested with little hope he’ll be accepted.

“What if I told you there was somepony they respect and admire so much, he could convince them to give it a try?” Spike offered.

“If only that were true.” The changeling glumly responded thinking otherwise.

“It is! I mean, I am! It's me, Spike!” He told him who just blankly stares at him. “Spike the Brave and Glorious? I'm sure you've heard of me.” Spike assured him it can be true.

“Nope. But I was raised by an evil queen. I'm Thorax. I can't believe you want to help me.” Thorax explained his

“Why? Hasn't anypony ever just been nice to you?” Spike asked him who hisses in response.

“Uh! S-Sorry!” Thorax quickly apologized. “Kindness like that kind of brings it out. Do you still wanna be my friend?”

“Of course!” Spike confirmed with a nod. “And I am one hundred percent sure I can get the whole Crystal Empire to be your friend too. But... maybe I should just, uh, talk to them first.” Spike added as Thorax hissed in response to the kindness he was receiving.

“A nice changeling.” Twilight thought to herself. “But considering how alarmed everypony is it won’t be easy.” She wondered how it’s possible knowing the second they react to his presence.

“Twilight!” Starlight called out from Flurry’s room. “I need help!”

“Coming!” Twilight called out to her as she quickly takes control of watching over Flurry Heart who was starting to have a little fun with her magic.


In no time at all, Twilight was able to control her little niece as Starlight was able to catch her breath from dealing with the young alicorn’s strong energy.

The two then decided to work on a protection spell for Flurry Heart to where Twilight hoped Spike is back from his patrol to check up on him and luck would have it he just arrived with another pony right behind him.

“Spike, if you're done searching for the changeling, Starlight and I could use your help. We're working on a protection spell for Flurry Heart, and nopony takes notes like you.” Twilight told him the second she saw him come in.

“Uh, actually, Twilight, I, uh, wanted to introduce you to my friend, uh... Uh, Crystal, uh... Hoof! Crystal Hoof!” Spike awkwardly introduced him to the alicorn princess with a nervous chuckle. “My good friend, Crystal Hoof.”

“Nice to meet you.” Crystal Hoof introduced himself with an offered hoof for a hoof-shake to which Twilight accepts.

“Oh. Well, it's, uh, nice to meet you, too.” Twilight seemingly played along even though she isn’t fooled by the act and disguise and knows that he had just made that name up on the spot. “So just out of curiosity, how do you know Spike?” She asked the disguised changeling.

“Oh, uh, Spike and I go way back.” Thorax said.

“To the Equestria Games!” Spike quickly added to avoid suspicion. “That's when we met. We've been pen pals ever since.”

“Interesting.” Twilight spoke while unconvinced by the act as she rubbed her chin with her right hoof. “Well, I'm sure Starlight and I can manage, if you want to spend time with your friend.”

“Great! Crystal Hoof promised to take me around the city.” Spike replied as she set back towards Flurry’s room.

“Oh, that was amazing!” Thorax said in amazement with how well it worked.

“I told ya.” Spike assured it he had everything under control while Twilight secretly frowns in disapproval as she deep down knows the truth.

“I’ve done better and more convincing things before.” Twilight said to herself still unimpressed. “And just to be sure I think we need to make some arrangements to speed this up a little.” She added as she thinks of an idea of how to go on about this as she makes her way back to the room.

“Starlight, a word please?” Twilight whispered to Starlight as Flurry takes a nap for a little while.

“What is it?” Starlight asked. “Was Spike not available to help take notes?”

“That’s just about it.” Twilight said seriously. “Spike is currently with the said changeling said to be roaming around the empire.”

“What?” Starlight nearly exclaimed out loud before quickly controlling her voice. “We should go tell them so we can capture it!”

“But the thing is I don’t think that’s the right approach because he saved Spike’s life.” Twilight added feeling very conflicted. “And I think we should give him a chance to prove that but I don’t know how to do it.”

“Are you sure Flurry’s antics haven’t worn you down too much?” Starlight skeptically asked having a very hard time believing that.

“Starlight, I’m serious.” Twilight glared at her student to assert that she isn’t exaggerating. “We were both given a chance when no pony had reason to accept us after we learned the errors of our ways. And if what Spike says is true we should pursue it if it means another ally we can trust.”

“I don’t know, Twilight.” Starlight spoke unsure about this proposal. “I mean even if this is all true what’s to stop them from panicking and chasing them out of the empire the second he reveals himself?”

“I think they’re just going to have to take the time to really get to know him.” Twilight could only respond as if that’s the only choice. “And I think I might know how.” She then smiled as she got an idea in her head at that moment.


She and Starlight go to Princess Cadance with her baby in tow where Sunburst and the other royal guards are waiting for them to where Twilight explains to Cadance of Spike’s new friend while leaving out the part that he is the changeling in disguise.

"Spike?” Cadance called out to Spike and Thorax who were both in the hallway and then entered the room they were all in. "Twilight told me you were off with a friend."

"Yeah?" Spike nervously answered.

"And any friend of Spike the Brave and Glorious is a friend of mine," Cadence smiled as she motioned him to go ahead and introduce himself to her daughter.

Thorax then approached the infant alicorn trying hard to restrain himself unless he wanted to blow his cover.

Flurry Heart suspected nothing as she happily cooed and threw up her hooves at him.

"Oh, she's so beautiful!" Thorax exclaimed as his eyes grew wide in amazement. "There's... so much... love and light surrounding her... I... I..."

And just as Twilight correctly predicted form her reaction Thorax dropped his disguise, unable to control himself when he was so close to the love he so desperately craved leading to everypony expect for Twilight and Starlight to gasp.

Before Spike could do anything about it he was suddenly pulled away by Twilight's magic, while several guards pointed spears at the changeling while everypony in the room glares at him.

"Wait no you don’t understand!” Spike desperately exclaimed.

"I'm sorry but I can’t let you anywhere near him. He’s dangerous as long as he’s here!” Twilight firmly told him as she refused to let go of her grasp on him.

Sunburst adjusted his glasses as he somberly declared. "This changeling must've replaced your friend in order to get close to the baby. What other explanation could there be?"

"I..." Spike stuttered to find the right words. "...Don't know." He sadly said as he couldn’t find it in himself to tell the truth thinking no one would believe him with everypony glaring at the changeling.

Thorax then teared up feeling hurt by this as he then ran off and out of the castle.

"After it, men! Don't let the changeling escape!" The yellow coated guard instructed the others as he led him to pursue Thorax.

“I hope your friend is okay.” Cadance told Spike who can only look in feeling upset with himself.

“Yeah... Me, too.” Spike just agreed for the sake of the conversation.

“It’s okay, Spike.” Twilight reassured him as she placed a hoof on his shoulder as she lead him outside for a private word. “It was bound to happen anyway.”

“What do you mean?" Spike asked confused. "Did you know the whole time?” Spike then asked in shock after realizing the truth.

“Well considering my experience with stealth missions and disguises, nothing gets past me.” Twilight calmly replied with no surprise in her tone and expression. “Anyways, as I was saying I figured this would happen so I arranged all of this so that the next time he gets here he’ll explain himself why he is here.”

“But how will he be able to explain himself if he is going to be chased off again?!” Spike asked sounding completely baffled of how.

“Coming from the dragon who befriended him, I’m sure he’ll be willing to explain himself as long as everypony hears him out.” Twilight answered still calm and cool about the situation. “Go and make amends with him and get him to come back here. I’ll make sure they don’t chase him off again when you two arrive.” She instructed him. “Trust me, I hear what you’re saying and I’m going to help you see to it that he is not like them.”

Spike then smiled with this encouragement as he sets out to do so and by the time she sees Spike and Thorax heading back to the castle everypony was gathered in the throne room again.


"I know it's bad that there's a changeling around, but is all this really necessary?" Starlight asked Cadance.

"If there's one changeling, there may well be a whole army on the way.” Cadance answered and theorized.

"You really think Queen Chrysalis would send an army of changelings here? I mean does she have to gain from taking over the Crystal Empire when she is seeking all of Equestria." Twilight commented. “Starlight has a point, this is getting a little out of hand.”

"I understand, Twilight, but I just don't know what else to do." Cadance replied with a sigh while uncertain of how they can play it safe.

“I do!” Spike announced as he arrived in the throne room with said changeling by his side leading to many ponies again gasping in shock seeing this.

"Spike, what do you think you're doing?! Get away from the changeling!" Shining Armor quickly ran up to him with several of the guards by his side ready to attack him.

"No!" Spike refused to budge as he stood in front of him. "And his name is Thorax, and he's my friend!" He added much to many ponies shock hearing this.

"Spike, don’t make me does this!” Shining Armor tried to reason with him not to separate him from Thorax. “That changeling for all we know could be playing you!"

"Please listen to him Spike. You know that changelings feed on love. He may have just been using you to get close to Flurry Heart." Cadance pleaded with Spike to listen to her husband.

"I'm sorry.” Spike firmly stood his ground. “But I’m still standing by my new friend's side.”

“So will I.” Starlight vouched for them as she joined Spike and Thorax.

“What? Why?!” Shining Armor demanded to know why.

“Because from what I've seen and heard about him, Thorax hasn’t done anything to any pony since he was here. He could have hurt somepony but he didn’t."

“Not yet!” Shining Armor grimly replied. “Now don’t make me force you to get out of the way!”

“Well then if anything is really worth unleashing an entire security army over then it’s probably me." Starlight further added. "I did things worse than whatever this changeling might have done. I went as far as attempting to mess with the fabric of time and even was willing to doom all of Equestria to a terrible fate just to get my revenge on Twilight. But instead, she took me under her wing as her student and gave me a chance to redeem myself when no pony else would. So I guess for all any pony knows without realizing it I too could be pretending to be redeemed or Twilight." Starlight added as she pointed a hoof at Twilight. "But I don't see you ordering your guards to have me or Twilight arrested."

“Don’t put my little sister into this!” Shining Armor retorted and warned her she is pushing her luck now. “I’m doing what is best for the empire even if I have to take extreme measures. Try being in my hooves and say you’d still do the same thing.”

“Shining Armor…” Twilight spoke up in the unicorn, dragon, and changeling's defense. “Starlight’s right. You gave me a chance even though no pony had to and I have done worse than the changeling and Starlight combined. I tricked every pony into believing I was dead, then pretending to be a different pony using every pony around me to further my goals into taking over Equestria, crashed the royal wedding, and even shattered the Crystal Heart because I thought what I was doing was in Equestria’s best interest in heart.” She added as she spread her wings to protect them. So it’s make wonder why I haven’t been given the same treatment as them if not worse.” She said as she stood her ground in front of her brother. "As the Princess of Friendship, I try to set an example for every pony to follow," She added with a smile. "If any of you are the ponies that gave me that second chance as well as Starlight. We should at least hear him out. After all, Princess Cadance, the Princess of Love gave me the chance when no pony else would. So please hear him out on my behalf before we decide to inflict any punishment on him because if Spike says Thorax is his friend then he’s my friend too." She said to which Thorax smiled hearing this and even shedding a tear of joy with his heart touched up there.

"Twilight’s right!” Princess Cadance spoke up vouching for the four. “Ever since the wedding we have been quick to pass judgement before even getting to know him. Like Twilight’s heart at the time we all have let the past impair our judgement today."

"But he didn’t do a good job of showing us that." Shining pointed out still very suspicious. "Even if this is all true, he still caused a panic and then disguised him to try to fool us."

"Maybe because if he did come try to come forward. We wouldn’t have believed him." Twilight explained on Thorax’s belief. “Looks can be deceiving either way. But what’s important is that we see who he really is deep down his heart and really get to know him and unlike in the past I really believe Thorax is not like that.”

Shining hung his head in shame and sighed as he realized the truth in his sister’s words. In the past he was quick pass judgement thus falling for Chrysalis’s ruse and then yelling and hurting his little sister’s feelings which paved way for a changeling invasion and then later Twilight’s descend to villainy with following through with a successful campaign in taking over Equestria with a vengeance, along with the rise of Midnight Sparkle in her own form.

"You’re right Twily.” He said with a calming breath. “Because of the wedding I too I have been letting my anger of what happened cloud my judgement. And instead of seeing through Chrysalis’s disguise and even listening to you from the start I ended up nearly lose both you and my wife to her which lead to you succumbing to your anger and inner darkness. Ever since then it was a mistake I never wanted to make again. However, it seems that I’m doing the same again today. And for that I’m sorry Twilight." He apologized to her before turning to Thorax. “And the same applies to you Thorax, since I also owe you an apology too.”

"Well you were pretty quick to judge at first sight, but I don’t blame you.” Thorax responded. “Considering what happened in the past you were only trying to protect your loved ones. And I honestly didn't help make things easier myself by disguising myself and then later growling and hissing in front of the baby. The reason I came was because I was hungry for a little love to sustain myself. But when I got close to the very strong love from the baby I lost control of myself and started growling and hissing. Even if I didn't think anyone would believe me, I should've just come forward from the beginning and all of this could've been avoided."

"Join the club we’ve got jackets." Shining Armor said as he approached him for a hoof-shake ready to let bygones be bygones with him. "Welcome to the Crystal Empire, Thorax. And I hope we can start over by really getting to know you now.”

"That'd be so amazing! I want to know all about friendship, and maybe one day I can take that knowledge back to the Changeling Kingdom! If my kind learned how to create love for one another, maybe they wouldn't have to take it from others! " Thorax accepted the hoof-shake.

“Having said that on behalf of the Crystal Empire.” Cadance said. ”I would like to extend my hoof in friendship, and I'm sure all of my subjects are eager to do the same.”

The guards then cheered at this announcement seeing they now have a new ally they can trust on as Cadance levitates Flurry to Thorax who cries more tears of joy in response. When Flurry was levitated towards Thorax he reacted in surprise of being that trusted with being up this close to the Princess of Love’s daughter and initially hesitates before doing so after seeing Cadance give him the assuring nod that it’s okay.

Thorax looked at the infant for a second time and this time he was able to control his instincts to keep himself from growling and hissing. Flurry Heart then peered up with an extended hoof at Thorax’s direction with a coo.

"To Spike the Brave and Glorious” One of the guards called out to praise him as he and the other guards approached Spike and began to gentle toss him and Thorax into the air before Spike back down to the floor to sing to a tune.


"Would you say I'm a hero
Glorious and brave
If I told you something you wouldn't believe?"

He sang in front of Shining Armor and the guards in the spotlight.

"That sometimes I'm scared
And I can make mistakes
And I'm not so heroic, it seems."

He sadly sang as he brought up the memory every pony initially rejecting him earlier.

But if day can turn to night
And the darkness turn to light
Then why can't we imagine a changeling can change?

He sang in front of the guards and then in front of Cadance, Twilight, Starlight, and Sunburst.

"No two ponies are exactly the same
No two snowflakes ever match their design
And I thought I was strong
But I was nothing but wrong
When I forgot to be friendly and kind

But if day can turn to night
And the darkness turn to light
Then why can't we imagine a changeling can change?"

He sang as he walked up to stand by Thorax's side before dancing in front of the guards and then in front of Cadance, Twilight, Starlight, and Sunburst again.

"Would you say I'm a hero
Glorious and brave
If I told you something you wouldn't believe?

This changeling, it seems
Knows the real me
And would stay by my side 'til the end

So if day can turn to night
And the darkness turn to light
Then why can't we imagine
Just why can't we imagine
Then why can't we imagine a changeling can change?"

He then sang as the guards further cheered for him and gathered around him and Thorax so they can continue praising them.


Both Twilight and Starlight watched the whole scene from afar with bright smiles on their faces. "You sure raised him well didn’t you?" Starlight said to her teacher.

"I sure did." Twilight acknowledged as she proudly watches the dragon she raised as a son. "I'm so proud of him. That was the bravest thing I ever saw him do to date. It took everything he had and he still risked all of it for a friend! Reminds me of something similar I did when fought Tirek.”

“I don’t know if there is anything any pony can say or do that can top what you did, Twilight." Starlight responded. “And it also looks like you were right after all."

"Right about what?" Twilight asked.

"Friendship lessons can happen just about anywhere." Starlight answered with a smile as they both watch Spike and Thorax being praised by Shining Armor and the guards.

Author's Note:

In this chapter, we have the lone changeling Thorax running around the Crystal Empire which creates a state of emergency in the empire to which thankfully for them isn't the threat of Midnight arising again.

The first of two things I changed up in this version was Twilight being fully aware of what Spike was doing the whole time and personally turning the following events she set up so that Thorax is fully heard out as she predicted.

The second and most importantly, is having her and Starlight vouch for Spike by recalling their past experiences as former and redeemed villains so that every pony would listen to Thorax while being reminded of how their past actions are creating domino effects in their over-driving attempts to correct their mistakes with the song Spike sang being saved for the very end after Thorax was accepted.

Next up is "Every Little Thing She Does." where Twilight focuses more on Starlight's lessons while dealing with her friendship problems that she is struggling with.

PreviousChapters Next