• Published 27th Feb 2020
  • 4,427 Views, 207 Comments

Light and Dark: Road to Redemption - MXCDarkHorse2020



Twilight Sparkle, now the Princess of Friendship, focuses on proving to everypony through the adventures of Season 5 of Friendship is Magic onwards that she truly has redeemed herself for her past actions as Midnight Sparkle.

  • ...
9
 207
 4,427

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 59: A Hearth's Warming Club

Chapter 59:

A Hearth’s Warming Club

Six months following the opening of the School of Friendship, Heart’s Warming has just arrived as it is right around the corner with school entering its last day before Heart’s Warming Break.

Queen Novo was able to fit time in her schedule to manage to visit Twilight’s school so she can explain to everyone in her class of how they celebrate Hearth’s Warming Eve accompanied by her daughter so she can visit the school herself too and be able to visit her best friend Pinkie Pie again.

Since amends were made, Twilight and Queen Novo were also able to warmly greet each other with no tensions or uneasy feelings towards each other following the summit.

“…And that is how we celeberate Hearth’s Warming in Seaequestria.” Queen Novo concluded her speech as one of the students raises a hoof. “Yes.”

“So instead of one day it is now three days?” Gallus questioned sounding uninterested.

“Yes it is…” The queen replied but not without noticing his disinterest in the holiday from his tone before explaining. “…The celebration to which used to be only one day, has been recently renamed to commemorate our escape from the Storm King when he was defeated, and because it is named the Three Days of Freedom Celebration, we're adding two more days to the holiday.”

“There's a book?” Gallus also felt the need to ask as Twilight shot a very concerned and stern eyebrow and glance at Gallus’s direction before returning to smile as watches over the classroom.

“Mm-hmm! Mother had these made for the Mount Aris board of tourism to explain it all to guests!” Princess Skystar kindly explained to keep the positive mood going as she directed every student’s attention to said books in front of them.“We'll spend the first night in Seaquestria, thanking the ocean for protecting us from the Storm King. Sea-dancing, whale-singing, shell-stringing... Lots of "ing"'s. She emphasized by mimicking whale sounds before continuing. “The second day will be on Mount Aris, with sky-dancing and a wind song in the Harmonizing Heights to celebrate the Storm King's defeat. Then the third day, everycreature will party together, on land and sea! Grandparents and parents and sisters, uncles, brothers, acquaintances, neighbors, and cousins. And at the end of the night, Queen Novo is gonna give out presents!”

“Really?” Silverstream asked in excitement.

“Yes really.” Queen Novo said with a forced smile. “Even though you already knew that.”

“I know that’s what makes it so exciting!” Silverstream couldn’t help share the same excitement as her cousin.

“I know right?” Skystar returned in the same tone as Twilight and even Novo couldn’t help to chuckle a little.

“Like daughter, like niece.” Spike commented as he stood beside Twilight.

“Agreed, like cousin, like cousin, indeed.” Twilight said as the other students further ask questions about the holiday until the end of class when the students were dismissed from class as everyone celebrates their final minutes of school before being released for a two-week break to celebrate the holidays.

“Ponies' voices fill the night

Hearth's Warming Eve is here once again.”

Sandbar sang as he decorated the main tree.

“Come on, everycreature! Sing!” Sandbar encouraged everyone to sing to which got no response from the students as they all continued to chatter amonst themselves.


“La-la-la-la, la-la-la-la

La-la, la-la, la-la, la-la.”

Sandbar trotted up to try to encourage everyone else into following suit.

“La-la-la-la... la...” Ocellus hesitantly replied being the only yet reluctant one to follow suit.

“Not everycreature celebrate same way, you know.” Yona seriously said to him.

“Yeah. Dragons don't do pony holidays.”Smolder said in agreement.

“Sure we do!” Spike quickly pointed out that he does as he, Twilight and Rainbow Dash all walk up to them. “I love Hearth's Warming Eve! It's all about friends and presents and family and... presents!” He emphasized his love for gifts

“It's also about putting aside differences to come together, like the Earth ponies, Pegasi, and unicorns did on the first holiday.” Twilight further explained the importance of the holiday.

“Oh! Is that why you put their Fire of Friendship on top of the tree? To help us remember their unity?”Ocellus asked pointing to the heart shaped fire decoration.

“And 'cause it looks cool.” Rainbow added as she flew up to it.

“This is my favorite day of the year!” SIlverstream giggled as she trotted in place. “Not that I don't like the other ones. Tuesdays are great!” She emphasized as she accidentally knocked Smolder back a little from her wings erecting from her excitement.

“Yona like any day that is start of winter break.” Yona said pleased looking for to the very beginning of break.

“Two whole weeks without classes. How will Ocellus survive?” Gallus sarcastically commented as Ocellus nervously laughed in response as like Twilight she really enjoys classes as she doesn’t even waste a second learning all she can.

“I think you'll all enjoy the time off to be home with your families. To celebrate your own traditions.” Twilight told them before calling out to everyone in attendance. “Attention, everycreature! School is officially out! Happy holidays, and we'll see you after the break!” Everyone chattered in excitement as they all immediately departed the school as the young six students stuck around. “And for those of you traveling outside Equestria...” She addressed the ones who stayed.

“Yeah, shouldn't you guys be getting ready to go? If you miss that train, it's a really long walk.” Rainbow reminded them they have a very long commute ahead of them.

“Go pack up, and we'll take you to the station.” Twilight instructed them as they set out to do so as they chattered in excitement too.

After the students have left, Twilight turns her attention to Spike who is constantly shaking a gift-wrapped box.

“It's that new bow tie I wanted, isn't it?” The young dragon asked wasting no time in wanting to open presents.

“You'll have to wait and see.” Twilight kindly with slight assertiveness answered.

“I'm waiting!” Spike replied. “But in the meantime, I'm shaking!” He said as he continues shaking the present as a mysterious cloaked figure appeared from the ceiling as Queen Novo and Princess Skystar arrive inside of the room.

“Princesss Twilight.” The hippogriff queen spoke up as she entered the room. “Thanks again for this opportunity, it was really nice being able to teach your students all about our ways and traditions for the holidays.”

“You’re welcome and I’m glad you enjoyed it because the students really enjoyed your presentation.” Twilight warmly replied as Skystar giggled.

“I know the students were really amazed to see royalty from outside Equestria come by and visit.” Skystar voiced her happiness over their visit. “And it was very nice to be able to see my cousin in class, speaking of which we’re going to have her come home with us so we can enjoy the holidays together.”

“I suppose we can do that as long as she doesn’t pull any pranks on us.” Novo agreed to her daughter’s request as a mysterious hooded figure placed goo powder on the flaming heart to which everyone took notice of the heart dissolving into goo to which the Rainbow quickly flew out of the way while Twilight used a teleportation spell to protect herself along with the queen and princess while Spike ended up getting covered in goo. Luckily for Spike, Twilight was able to remove the sticky substance off of Spike.

“Wha... What happened?!” Spike asked of shock as he looks around to their surroundings.

“Everything's ruined. That's what's happened!” Twilight replied while sounding upset at the mess as Skystar comforts her with a hug.

“And I don't think it was an accident.” Rainbow told the others as she noticed the powder used to make the heart explode as Queen Novo joins her in flight to examine the evidence at the scene of the crime. “Somepony was up here!”

“Over there!” Spike pointed out to the hooded figure as he immediately ran across the room and jumped through the window to escape.

“Outside!” Twilight said as Novo flew ahead and out through the window to try catch him leaving him running as fast as he can as she narrowly avoids being caught by the queen as the hooded figure ducks into the nearby bushes before conjuring a small little snow cloud to create cover as he make his way through the nearby door as the others catch up.

“That's the students' quarters!” Spike said as they all flew inside the building the hooded prankster went in and retreated to a room just as everyone else arrived.

“Might as well give up, whoever you are! We got ya cornered!” Rainbow Dash shouted out to him.

“Hello? Is anypony there?” Twilight called out when no response came.

“I'll check the back door! Come on Spike!” Rainbow made her way to do so with the young dragon following after him as the door opens as SIlverstream and Smolder come out.

“What's happening?” Silverstream wondered and gasped. “Another decorating party?” She then turned and saw her cousin and aunt with Twilight. “Oh, Aunt Novo, Skystar, you’re still here. I thought I would be meeting you at the train station?” She said in surprise to see them at this time.

“Has anycreature come in here?” Twilight asked them if they saw anything out of the ordinary.

“Well, yeah. All of us did. To pack? Like you told us to?” Smolder replied with a confused shrug.

“After that. Did you hear anything?” Skystar asked the two.

“Uh-uh.” The two students replied empty-handed as the other students came outside to join them.

“What's up?” Gallus asked.

“Yona done packing!” The happy yak declared.

“Is something wrong?” Ocellus wondered what the commotion is all about.

“The back door's locked! No way out!” Rainbow reported as he and Spike came back.

“But whoever did it had to have come in here! We saw them!” Twilight concluded with this knowledge.

“Whoever did what?” Ocellus wondered what is going on as Twilight motions them to follow her back to exploded goo all over the room and the tree.


“Whoa... That is so not cool.” Sandbar remarked in surprise to see the mess that was created while facing the stern looks from Twilight, Novo, Rainbow, and Spike.

“Especially when that nearly got over my fur coat.” Novo sternly added. “It takes great care to keep this sparkling white like I always do.”

“And whoever did it ran into your rooms. No one came out, and all of you are still here.” Spike further explained as he addressed them.

“One of you must have done this!” Rainbow said with a pointed hoof in a accusing manner before changing it to a more confused expression leaving the six students with no explanation for any of this. “But... why would any of you want to sabotage Hearth's Warming Eve?”

“Ugh! Yak not do this! Yona offended by accusation!” Yona angrily retorted to which the others look at each other.

“I'll handle this.” Twilight told the queen before she could say some harsh words to them before she takes a turn to speak to the students. “We don't know what happened. Maybe this wasn't even on purpose.” Twilight explained they too are trying to figure out what really happened.

“But I want to give whoever caused this mess a chance to tell the truth and explain themselves. I'll make it easy for you.” She offered the opportunity for one of them to confess. “Close your eyes.” The students all did as they were told with Ocellus nudging a reluctant Yona to do so. “Now, if you did this, raise your hoof. Or claw. Or whatever.” She instructed them and after a few seconds no one of them came forward.

“Come on, Spike. Looks like we have to…” She sighed seeing that this is going nowhere before seeing that he too is following suit. “Spike, you can open your eyes.”

“What? Oh!” Spike replied did so as Rainbow spoke up with closed eyes.

“Uh, what about me?” She asked as she and Skystar joined in.

“You all can.” Twilight said as she Rainbow and Skystar both give embarrassed laughs as both Twilight and Novo share matching eye rolls. “But since nocreature took responsibility for this mess, you're all gonna have to help clean it up before you can go home.” She voiced what is expected of them much to their displeasure.

“Why do I have to stay?!” Smolder protested to assert her innocence.

“Aw, but the holidays!” Sandbar pointed out which is met with each of the students being handed cleaning equipment by Twilight.

“While you're cleaning, we'll bring you into my office one at a time. Since honesty is one of the Elements of Harmony, we want to give you each a chance to tell us the truth.” Twilight explained how this is going to work.

“And once we find out who did it, just you wait! We're gonna...! We'll...!” Rainbow started to issue the threat but came but short and empty-hoofed to back it up with. “What are we gonna do exactly?” She turned to Twilight.

“The guilty party won't be going home over Hearth's Warming break. She or he will stay here for some one-on-one friendship lessons.” The alicorn replied with a sigh.

“But what if none of us confesses?” Silverstream brought up as she and Skystar share worried looks at the worst possible to come.

“Then…” Twilight started with a sigh with what she is about to say. “I guess there's no holidays for any creature. You'll all stay over the break.”

She said as the students give horrified gasps at her declaration as even Skystar and Novo look uneasy by this decision as Twilight goes off to set up her office so she can be able to sit each one of her students for questions.


Just as Twilight is setting up her office Queen Novo and Skystar come in as the others join them.

“With all due respect, Twilight…” Novo began voicing her objections to what she is doing. “You’re seriously thinking of keeping them over the holidays?!”

“You can’t seriously think SIlverstream would have done something like this?” Skystar couldn’t help but question her feeling hurt by what Twilight is doing.

“Of course I don’t see that Silverstream was behind it.” Twilight calmly replied. “She’s too kind hearted to be able to pull off that kind of prank.”

“Then why are you doing this?” Skystar asked still unable to understand why she is doing all of this.

“So I can get a confession out of who really did it.” Twilight answered. “That ultimatum was just to scare the culprit into doing so.”

“So you’re not really going to keep Silverstream here over Hearth’s Warming?” Skystar asked sounding a little relieved now.

“No, because I already have an idea who did.” Twilight assured her.

“Who?” The queen asked. “Who nearly tried to cover us in goo?”

“Gallus.” Twilight said as she set out to bring her students in one by one.

“Then why are you wasting time when you already know who did it?!” Novo incredulously asked finding this approach a waste of time.

“Because as I said before I want him to confess.” Twilight replied without a change of tone. “Otherwise accusing the wrong person without proof could lead to a lot of trouble which is why I became Midnight in the first place.”

“As long as Silverstream isn’t forced to stay here then I’m fine with it.” Novo then relented with a calming sigh.

“Don’t worry things will work out in the end.” Twilight again assured her as she set out to fetch Gallus.

She brought Gallus to her office who beforehand volunteered to go first since for him it beats mop duty but to everyone’s (sans Twilight's) surprise he denied having any part of doing it.

Twilight being patient about it casually dismisses him and sends him back to cleaning up the mess.

“I don’t get it!” Spike asked in confusion. “Why didn’t he confess?!”

“And you believed him when he said he didn’t do it?!” Novo asked in frustration.

“Maybe deep down there’s something that tells me that he actually wants everyone stay over the holidays.” Her daughter suggested of why he didn’t tell the truth.

“That is possible.” Twilight agreed with that assessment before turning to the queen. “And I only went along with it because I want him to be able to confess without feeling pressured into doing it.”

“But how even though it is very clear he did it?!” Novo further expressed still unable to comprehend Twilight’s approach.

“I know this is different from how you would approach it like anyone else but ever since I’ve learned to think things through before acting on my suspicions and flat out accusing someone of doing something without proof.” The princess still calmly returned.

“But why?!” Novo asked in further uncomprehending frustration.

“Because the one time I didn’t it lead me and as a result of it led to a series of events where pain and suffering followed through in my awake.” Twilight calmly answered as she set out to bring the next student to her office. “Which I’ll explain later.”


One by one Twilight brought in the rest of the students in for questioning where they all honestly answered they had nothing to do with the prank at all and were all packing up she like she asked of them to which everyone including Novo agreed with.

“Well that’s everyone and none of them confessed of doing it.” Rainbow Dash concluded after Yona and Smolder left her office as Twilight closed the door after them.

“Well then it’s time to head on over back to where the students are.” Twilight said as she leads everyone back to the room where the incident happened.

“So what exactly happened back then that lead to all of this happening?” Novo wondered of how she became Midnight in the first place.

“Do you really want to know?” Rainbow asked feeling uneasy of wanting the story being told again.

“Of course.” The queen firmly replied as Twilight gives the Pegasus a look to tell her that she’ll handle it before turning back to her.

“Try to understand…” Spike began before letting Twilight tell the story. “Twilight means well but deep down she has been through a lot recently these past few years.”

“It all began when my brother Shining Armor was planning to get married to Princess Mi Amora Cadenza aka Princess Cadance.” Twilight began narrating as she presented an aura of magic to show the flashback of her meeting with her brother for the first time in years. “Initially I wasn’t very happy with him for not telling me until he handed out the invitation but I soften up upon learning that said mare was Cadance who used to be my former foalsitter.”

“Aww that’s so sweet.” Skystar happily commented at the sight of Young Twilight when she was a filly playing with Cadance as they perform they secret hoof-shake.

“It is.” Twilight said with a smiling nod before continuing. “But when I met her for the first time in years I saw and learned that she wasn’t the pony I remembered when I was young as she was being mean and unpleasant with my friends which gave me reason to believe that she is up to something.” She said as she showed the memories of the first wedding preparations. “And it turned out I was right when she turned out to be Queen Chrysalis in disguise.” She said as she showed the image of the changeling queen.

“If you were right then what happened?” Novo asked how things went downhill from there while still trying to put two and two together.

“Well my friends were too distracted by their own desires and the others were too gullible to see that despite there were many instances that should have alarmed them and raised red flags.” Twilight solemnly explained as she showed the flashbacks of her said memories. “So deciding it was time to resort to desperate measures I decided to expose her myself and caused her to run off crying after telling everypony of what I know about her. But because my accusations weren’t solid to back up with along with the others gullibility back then there were dire consequences.” She said as Rainbow and Spike look away with regret at the memory with the most painful memory alongside the fight at the beach.

“After my outburst at the wedding rehearsal my brother became very angry with me. He said that the imposter’s behavior was all just wedding stress before banning me from the wedding all together deeming my behavior towards the imposter to be an act of complete disrespect.” She spoke as Novo and Skystar both show shocked and stunned looks as Shining Armor tells off Twilight. “Even my friends and mentor walked out on me like I deserved it.”

“Wow, that’s so sad.” Skystar said while starting to tear up as much as past Twilight after Celestia slammed the doors after her while Novo couldn't help but feel completely disappointed with Celestia giving Twilight the cold shoulder like that.

“I know.” Twilight stoically replied as she thinks back to the memory with her eyes closed when she thought back to just when she was left alone walking up to the stairs of the altar before crying to herself. “And the worse part about it was I too thought I was in the wrong until Chrysalis revealed herself. Even when I came through to rescue the real Cadance and saved everyone the damage was already done. After Chrysalis was defeated I became very bitter and angry towards them for hurting me that I kicked them all out of my life in return before becoming Midnight.”

“Really?” Novo said in stunned surprise while feeling sorry for what she has been through while feeling even more guilty of kicking her out of Seaequestria after being quick to accuse her to attempting to steal her pearl.

“Yes.” Twilight said with a despondent sigh. “And until I saved Equestria from Tirek I held a strong belief that friendship failed me when times got tough refusing to let it back into my heart to avoid being hurt all over again. It took some much needed words from the Princess of Love for me to finally realize and let go of my hatred and bitterness towards them.”

“I’m so sorry, Twilight.” Novo sympathetically told the young alicorn after witnessing the fight she had with them after the wedding. “For repeating the same mistake they did when I thought you were after the pearl and causing you to feel alone afterwards.”

“It’s okay.” Twilight replied as she turned to face her. “Because Midnight along with the Storm King have been defeated, peace has returned to Equestria, and friendship is stronger than before once we managed to make amends.”

“And believe us when we tell you we suffered the consequences for how we treated Twilight since then.” Rainbow Dash spoke up acknowledging that she deserves every bit of what Twilight put her through. “And for the record, she made sure of that.”

“Main lesson to be learned from this is don’t push her over the edge because she will make you pay in the end.” Spike also brought up in agreement that karma does come back around should one cross the young alicorn princess as she finished up telling the story.

“So anyways, ever since then that’s why I’ve learned to make sure I’m one hundred and twenty percent certain my suspicions are correct before acting on them because even though the girls were wrong to abandon me like that, I wasn’t in right either for the way I handled dealing with Chrysalis because the evidence I had to back myself up wasn’t the best approach if I had turned out to be wrong.” Twilight further stressed why she finds it a very valuable lesson and didn’t even deny that she was in the wrong too.

“That sure was some valuable friendship lesson you learned back then even if it was painful.” Skystar spoke upon in astonishment seeing the value of the lesson from the flashback scene too before hugging Twilight to comfort her after learning of what she went through. "That was just one of the saddest stories I have ever heard."

“And I’ll definitely take this along with the first time we met into heart.” Novo vowed as they approach where the students are cleaning up the mess. “Since that led to Equestria nearly being overcome by Midnight and the Storm King’s reign of terror.”

“Like I said before, friendship lessons can happen one way or another whether and how it happens along the way.” Twilight said as she hears the students arguing. “And sometimes using the tricks and trades you’ve learned along the way can help solve problems along the way which is what should resolve this problem with what is about to happen.” She added as they all heard and witnessed Gallus snap from the others arguing.

“I said, stop fighting!” Gallus yelled at everyone to shut up. “That's not what the holidays are about! No matter what you call them or how you celebrate!” He scolded them as he flew down. “D-Do you know how lucky you all are? With your stories about sharing and-and kindness and getting together with everycreature that you care about?” He further went on as he turned away in shame.

“Does he ever show emotion like that?” Novo whispered to Twilight.

“With all honestly, no he hasn’t and this is the first time for us too.” Twilight replied that she is just as surprised as everyone else.

“But griffons do that too, don't they?” Ocellus wondered.

“Some holiday about a moon?” Smolder also tried to guess.

“Blue Moon Festival.” Gallus replied with a sigh as he turned to face them. “The one time of year when griffons are nice to each other. Well, as nice as we can be.” He then began to explain as he recalls the memory. “Families get together to eat and then complain about the food and give each other presents they don't like and mostly just try not to yell at each other.”

“Well, at least you get to be with your family.” Silverstream tried to speak of the bright sight as Skystar has the same thoughts.

“No... because I don't have a family.” Gallus somberly said as the others have silent shock all over their faces.

“What about Grampa Gruff?” Sandbar brought up.

“That's just his name. He's not anygriff's actual grandpa.” Gallus replied he doesn’t count as he makes his way to the window feeling very sad and alone deep down. “I felt like I never had a place in Griffonstone. Then I came here and, well, met all of you. So I don't want to go home for the break. And that's why... I did it!” He then confessed to them.

“Griffon mess up decorations?!” Yona exclaimed in surprise.

“Yeah. It was me. I put goo powder in the Fire of Friendship.” Gallus admitted to every one of the shocked students while the others watching from outside show no reaction since they all already figured it out.

“So it wasn't Ocellus?” Sandbar exclaimed to which the young changeling glared at him for thinking that.

“Why would you ruin things for us?” Ocellus asked very incredulous with this confession in light.

“I didn't plan to! I just figured if I made a mess, our teachers would make us stay to clean up. We'd be together a little longer.” Gallus honestly explained his good intentions.

“Well, it worked, didn't it?” Smolder sarcastically commented.

“Better than I thought.” Gallus responded. “And when Headmare Twilight threatened to cancel winter break, that meant I would get to be with all of you through the entire holiday. That's why I didn't confess.”

“No kidding.” Twilight quietly said in astonishment that Skystar's theory was spot on.

“So, why are you admitting this now?” Sandbar questioned the same thoughts Novo is wondering.

“I hated seeing all you fighting and-and blaming each other. That's the opposite of what all your holidays mean.” Gallus answered while briefly turning to Smolder. “Except maybe yours, Smolder.” He said to her who was about to say something in defense only to shrug to say “Well true.” “I can't keep all of you from the happiness of your homes and families just because I feel bad. I'm sorry. Don't worry. You won't have to tell our teachers. I will.” He apologized as said grownups come inside the room

“You don't have to. We already know.” Twilight revealed herself to have listened in on to every word of his confession while feeling touched by his story leaving the blue griffon nervously scratching his chin in response now feeling the heat already.

“We kinda guessed it was you. But we wanted to give you the chance to tell the truth.” Rainbow Dash explained while feeling happy that he did.

“I'm proud that you did, and I'm glad to see you've been paying attention in Professor Applejack's honesty classes.” Twilight commended him to which he smiled at. “But you're still going to have to make amends and stay over break for extra friendship lessons by yourself.” Twilight then somewhat seriously told him to which he accepted.

“I'll stay with him.” Silverstream offered as she stuck by Gallus’s side much to Novo and Skystar’s surprise.

“Me, too!” Ocellus also agreed as she joined them.

“Yona stay also!” The yak also followed suit with her friends.

“I'm staying!” Sandbar also joined in as they all turn to Smolder expecting her to do the same as she crossed her arms.

“What?” Smolder asked as she shrugged her arms in confusion. “All right.” She then relented. “I guess pony holidays can't be that bad.”

“Now you can finally know what it's like to spend Hearth's Warming with friends who care about you.” Sandbar further encouraged their lonely friend as they joined together for a hug to which the others smiled at this heartwarming scene.

“Looks like they don't really need any extra lessons.” Rainbow whispered to Twilight who then began to speak having come to the same conclusion.

“Since you obviously know that Hearth's Warming is about coming together, I'd be honored if all of you would join my friends as guests at our holiday table.” Twilight offered to her students to which they all cheered in excitement. “After we finish cleaning up.” Twilight also finished that the mess needs to be cleaned up right away to which all they didn’t waste time to pick up the sponges and mops to do so.

“I got to say Princess, I’m very impressed by you and see that Celestia’s deviousness and skill of pulling strings has really rubbed off on you.” The queen remarked sounding impressed that she knew this was all going to happened as she predicted.

“Well I try not to brag about it.” Twilight thought nothing of with a grin and a blush. “So, now that that’s taken care of, it wouldn’t be long until Silverstream’s done and ready to go home with you two.”

“Oh actually, I was actually hoping I could join you for dinner tonight.” Skystar hopefully asked. “I really would like to be able to spend more time with Pinkie.”

“But Skystar…” Novo reminded her. “Our train leaves in a few hours.”

“Please mom…” Skystar buttoned up her pleading eyes. “We’ll just have dinner and then we can leave.”

“Very well. Since you and Silverstream will be here then I might as well join in too and catch up with Twilight and her friends.” Her mother relented after a moment of thinking. “But we leave right after dinner, you understand?”

“Yay! Thanks mom!” Skystar happily responded with a hug before flying off to meet up with Pinkie Pie.

“Well since we have eight more guests joining us tonight…” Spike brought up. “I’m going to ahead and get the table set up.” Spike said as he ran off to do so.

“Wait up, Spike!” Rainbow called after him as he flew after him shortly afterwards leaving Twilight with Novo. “I’m helping too!”

“So guess that just leaves you and me.” Twilight said to the queen after everyone else had left.

“Looks like that.” Novo said in agreement as they both set out walking side by side to help with the preparations too. “Since we have extra time, what kind of schemes have you pulled as Midnight Sparkle?”

“You really want to know?” Twilight asked as the queen nodded like she was teasing and joking before relenting being able to find good humor about it. “Well then prepare yourself for another long story.” She told her as they both walked down the hallway as the queen smiles in admiration as she awaits to learn more of Twilight’s devious and cunning side from her dark past.

Author's Note:

In this version of "The Hearth's Warming Club." we have Queen Novo making good on her promise from her last appearance by showing up for a class presentation to explain to Twilight's students of how they celebrate Hearth's Warming Eve back in Mount Aris/ Seaequestria with her daughter.

For starters the main issue that there has been dividing opinions on whether she was being fair when she threatened to cancel the holidays should none of the students confess so I fixed it up the whole handling as a Batman Gambit by Twilight who only said in order to get a confession out of Gallus which she rolled along with his words to let him feel less pressured to confess and explain on his own terms why he did it.

Next up is Queen Novo and Princess Skystar who both were at the scene of the prank when it happened too with the former just ready to confront Gallus after nearly being covered in goo while the latter is unable to understand why he did it. Both agreed that Twilight was being harsh with her threat with the former not understanding her approach to all of this but softens up when it was just to get the confession she needs out of him and she explains the incident at the first wedding of why she is much more careful on handling her suspicions.

Having said that I felt that was a good example for Twilight to explain like with dealing with Cozy Glow of why is she stresses about learning the whole truth before taking action which is kick-started the events of the whole series in this story Season 3 onwards while helping Queen Novo learn a lesson out of it when she ended up doing the same to Twilight the first time they met which played right into Midnight's hooves which nearly led to her wrecking her friendship with the girls and nearly taking over Equestria, along with Twilight getting hurt from the whole ordeal physically and mentally which led to a brief depression afterwards. Much like the first Canterlot Wedding before her, Novo made the same mistake Twilight made while at the same time set off the chain of events that led to a fractured friendship and the Big Bad achieving Near-Villain Victory as a result who unlike Chrysalis would have succeeded had Twilight not managed to get the drop on her at the last second when she had everyone at her mercy.

In addition, at the end I have decided to have the two important guests join in on Twilight's dinner with her friends seeing this as an opportunity to catch up on them and especially Twilight after taking a liking to Twilight's devious and cunning side a trait she shares with Princess Celestia to which she wastes no time in asking questions about her past schemes as Midnight.

With this Breather Episode down, Midnight will be back scheming to try to get the School of Friendship shut down in this next upcoming episode. "Friendship University."

PreviousChapters Next