• Published 27th Feb 2020
  • 4,427 Views, 207 Comments

Light and Dark: Road to Redemption - MXCDarkHorse2020



Twilight Sparkle, now the Princess of Friendship, focuses on proving to everypony through the adventures of Season 5 of Friendship is Magic onwards that she truly has redeemed herself for her past actions as Midnight Sparkle.

  • ...
9
 207
 4,427

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 26: The Crystalling Part Two

Chapter 26:

The Crystalling Part Two

“So... not only can we not take part in a fabulous ancient ceremony, but we're also about to be frozen solid!” Rarity asked in a panic at the very danger threatening the Crystal Empire again.

“Without the Crystal Heart's magical protection, the entire city's about to become a winter wasteland!” Twilight confirmed as she raised a hoof up.

“But what about when King Sombra ruled the Crystal Empire and the Crystal Heart was missin'? The city wasn't covered in snow then!” Applejack questioned as she placed a hoof on her chin trying to understand this as well.

“The Heart wasn't missing. It was still in the castle. King Sombra had just hidden it.” Twilight answered to explain the heart was still intact back then.

“I'm afraid Twilight is correct, and the storm clouds are already forming.” Princess Celestia agreed as they all see lighting flashing in the sky with the very dark gray storms clouds coming in again.

“I can totally fly up there and bust those puppies! No problem!” Rainbow Dash confidently claimed as she prepared to fly off to do so only to be stopped when Celestia closes the curtains she was holding with her magic.

“I wouldn't advise it, Rainbow Dash. Those storm clouds are not like the ones you know.” Celestia warned her that is beyond her control and ability.

“This far north, the weather has a will of its own, and now it will only grow stronger, enveloping everything in its path.” Luna added to further stress the severity of the crisis they are about to face.

“Including the Crystal Empire!” Cadance added.

“And us along with it! Again!” Twilight added as Pinkie hugs onto Twilight in a panic as everypony worries over what is about to happen.


Back at Sunburst’s house, Spike is looking for something in the list to get the conversation going since it has gone nowhere even though they are now inside and talking.

“There's gotta be somethin'...” Spike wondered if there is something to help move things along as the two move their conversation in Sunburst’s private study.

“I know Princess Twilight is keen on the two of us rekindling our friendship, but... it's been so long. I don't see how anything on that list is going to help.” Sunburst still wonders what and how to do it.

“I know, right? It's not like there's some spell that would magically compel us to pick up where we left off.” Starlight off-hoof remarked.

“Well, actually, there's several.” Sunburst answered as he presents three book that contain said spells. “Mistmane's Material Amity, Rockhoof's Rapport, Flash Prance's Fellow... ship...” He then stopped talking and trailing off seeing Starlight didn’t really expect to him find and take her response literally. ”But I-I get the feeling the princess isn't looking for a spell.”

“Definitely not.” Starlight honestly answered while amused that he actually did find said spell as if it would something Twilight would be able to find as well if they were in her library.

“Got it!” Spike brought up as he coiled himself with about half of the list he had already searched in the scroll. "And if all else fails, ask them to share an embarrassing moment from their past, maybe even something they regret!"

Both ponies widen their eyes in surprise as they both are very hesitant of doing so.

“Uh, I don't see how that would help.” Sunburst nervously flinched as he sweated.

“Uh, yeah!” Starlight agreed while sweating as well. “We should just get out of your mane. It's pretty obvious this isn't going how Twilight hoped, and I'm sure you have plenty of important work to do...“ Starlight said as she made her way out while dragging the wrapped up Spike.

“What?” Sunburst asked confused by her sudden departure before realizing it means he doesn’t have to tell his secret as he pulled out another book and flipped through the pages. “Oh! Right, yes, heh-heh! Uh, no rest for the wizardly.”

“Come on, Spike.” Starlight told Spike as she dragged him outside and closed the door after her.

Back at the palace, the winter snow storm is moving in with the clouds now starting to snow with Twilight feeling a literal breeze and chill from behind.

“There must be a spell that can restore the Crystal Heart!” Twilight brought up.

“Perhaps.” Celestia responded as she thought to herself with a hoof on her chin.

“But it isn't something that either of us know.” Luna added that even they don’t know the answer off of the top of their head’s.

“The library here at the castle is nearly as extensive as the one in Canterlot. There's a good chance we can find something there!” Cadance suggested as she handed her husband their baby girl as Twilight walks up by her side turning to both Celestia and Luna.

“Can you hold off the storm?” Twilight requested of the royal sisters.

“Yes, for a time, but even our magic will eventually succumb to the power of the Frozen North.” Luna honestly obliged with no promises on being able to withstand it forever.

“We will do what we can, but you must hurry.” Celestia firmly assured their best efforts to Twilight before she and her sister set off to do so by using their magic to zap away the dark clouds that were close by the castle as Twilight watches them set out to do so.

“I don't know how long it will take to find the right spell, but you should probably tell the crowd outside to get somewhere warm!” She instructed the Mane Five.

“And try not to mention the Crystal Heart. We don't want to start a panic.” Cadance added.

“Yes, ma'am.” Applejack understood and complied with the princesses wishes. “C'mon, girls!” She told Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy to follow her as they trot off as Twilight turned to Shining Armor, Cadance, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie.

“I'm gonna need all of your help. The crystal library is enormous!”

“You can count on us, Twily!” Shining Armor vowed they will help her as the baby giggles and teleports away and onto Pinkie’s face who shrieks and tossed her off to which Shining Armor and Cadance react in alarm as the former dives down to catch her only for her to teleport away again.

“Where'd she go?” Shining Armor exclaimed in horror for his daughter’s well-being as said filly is heard giggling from a distance.

“This way!” Cadance instructed the others to follow her in the direction she is heading towards the hallway in front of her.


Meanwhile, Midnight Sparkle is currently using her dark magic to accelerate the ever-growing snowstorm in order accelerate her plan to takeover Equestria while watching the sun and moon monarch rulers of Equestria trying desperately to stop about and seeing Twilight, Cadance, Shining Armor, Pinkie, and Rarity head towards the library’s direction with hopes that they will find the answers to what they are looking for. Seeing this Midnight smirks as she creates a duplicate of herself and sends it in the second party’s direction as her heart glows neon purple before setting off to continue pressing for the storm to blaze on harder than before.


“Well, Spike, looks like my biggest fears came true. I wouldn't be surprised if Twilight decides to give up on me entirely.” Starlight lamented on her failure.

“Aw, it's not your fault.” Spike said otherwise as he scratched the back of his head. I'm the one who said all we needed was this list.” Spike said as he burnt the list seeing it as a lost cause. “

“It's not the list, Spike. Or you. Or Twilight. I'm the one Sunburst doesn't want to be friends with.” Starlight says to make it clear she doesn’t blame anypony but herself.

“I don't remember him saying he didn't want to be friends.” Spike recalled as he shrugged his arms.

“He didn't have to say it.” Starlight said as she looked aside and hung her head.

“Well, Twilight obviously thinks you're worth being friends with! And I do too! I mean she said herself from past experience!” Spike encouraged her with a hug.

“Thanks, Spike.” Starlight gratefully told the young dragon. “At least I have two friends, even if one of them has dragon breath.” She added with a wink as he tried to breath fire to surprisingly no avail.

“Uh, that's not dragon breath. It's freezing!” Spike corrected her as he looked around the snow that was falling around them.

“Oh, you're right! But I thought the Crystal Heart was supposed to keep the cold weather out.” Starlight wondered how this is possible.

“It is... unless something's happened! Come on!” Spike agreed as they quickly headed on over to catch up on what happened at the palace.

While running over back to the palace Starlight looked and noticed Midnight using her magic to speed up the blizzard with her magic.

“What in Equestria?” Starlight exclaimed in surprise as she looked up at the dark-colored alicorn as she watched her from below before she disappeared into the blazing snow in a blink of an eye.


Back at the palace the baby is flying around blasting around magic randomly while her father is right on her tail in pursuit of keeping her control to no avail.

“Young filly... come back here!” Shining Armor shouted in her direction.

“Come to your Auntie Pinkie Pie!” Pinkie pleaded as she hopped after her while Twilight and Cadance searched and skimmed through books in hopes for finding the answer they need.

“Bridle Buck's Boat Chants, Hayhoof's Intonements, Mystic Maps and Mazes...” Twilight groaned seeing that she has found nothing useful so far. “Anything up there?” She called out to Cadance who was currently as she floating around the upper bookshelves frantically searching as much as Twilight.

“Not yet! I'm not even sure how these are organized!” Cadance reported as the baby appeared right in front of her to which she responded by attempting to gently secure her in her hooves until she sneezed and released magic causing her mother to duck as she blew a hole in the bookshelf before appearing right beside Twilight then flew around in circles until her father chased after her again.

“Shining Armor, I thought you were taking care of the baby!” Cadance called out to the stallion.

“I'm trying!” He honestly called back as he purses their infant daughter who still proves to be very difficult to restrain as she constantly teleports and throws her pursuers off of her trail every time they tried to keep their hooves on her.

“Gotcha!” Rarity exclaimed as she held up a butterfly net ready to catch the baby seemingly having her right where she wants her until she simply responded with a teleportation around her and continued flying forward. “Oh! Or not...”

“Oh for Celestia’s sake.” Twilight said in annoyance to the baby’s antics before entrapping it in a magical bubble with zero effort.

The baby struggled and whined trying to break free from her aunt’s magical grasp to no avail as Shining Armor, Pinkie, and Rarity catch up with it to bring it under close watch as they sigh in relief as Starlight and Spike enter the room.

“What is going on?!” Starlight asked as they made their way inside having watched the entire scene.

“You want the long or the short version?” Pinkie asked as she caught her breath.

“Short?” Starlight answered.

“The baby's an Alicorn and she accidentally destroyed the Crystal Heart, so Twilight and Cadance are looking for a spell to put it back together and save the Crystal Empire from turning into a giant wasteland of ice and snow.” Pinkie rapidly explained.

“Oh.” Starlight replied as Cadance came across a historic looking book.

“What about this? Trotter's Tome of Reliquary?” Cadance asked Twilight as she floated down and brought her the book who flips through the pages to see if this is what they are looking for.

“I think this is it!” Twilight happily replied feeling quite certain that it is.

“Spell of Relic Reconstitution!” Cadance happily exclaimed in relief. “I can't believe we found it!”

“It's a good thing, too! Without this, I don't know what we'd do!” Twilight said just as relived. “Hopefully, thanks to the right spell in this book we’ll be able to fix this.

“I'll help if I can.” Cadance offered as she turned to her husband and freed the baby from Twilight’s magical grasp. “But we should evacuate the city just in case!” You need to lead everypony to the train station before the tracks freeze over!”

“We will. But between you and Twilight, I'm sure you'll remember the spell.” Shining Armor assured his wife as he leads Rarity and Pinkie out to do so.

“I only hope this spell is the one we need.” Twilight said in worry as she and Cadance set off back to the shattered heart to do so.

“Is there anything I can do?” Starlight offered.

“I don't think so. I'm just sorry about your lesson.” Twilight replied.

“Oh, that doesn't matter now. Sunburst and I don't have anything in common anyway.” Starlight assured her it’s not her fault. “He's a big important wizard! And I'm re-learning everything I ever thought I knew.”

“Sunburst?” Cadance responded as she walked up to her. “I don't recognize the name, but if he's an important wizard, you should bring him here. Maybe he'll know what to do if the spell fails.”

“Of course!” Starlight exclaimed as she remembered that and then ran off back to his house.

“You better go with her, Spike.” Twilight instructed him who quickly follows after her while watching as Celestia and Luna start to struggle with holding off the storm. “Hopefully, things will work out in the end because we don’t have much time.” She told Cadance as they approach the shattered Crystal Heart.


By running very quickly, Starlight and Spike were able to quickly make their way back to Sunburst’s house and briefly struggled to shut the door due to the heavy wind.

“Sunburst! Haven't you looked outside?!” Starlight told Sunburst who was currently reading his books.

“Snow?” Sunburst snapped to attention as he looked at his window and saw the dark clouds and heavy winds. “That's... not right. The Crystal Heart—“ He said trying to make sense of it.

“Is gone! The baby – Shining Armor and Cadance's baby – it's an Alicorn!” Starlight quickly explained to her confused companion from the past.

“Really?” Sunburst asked as his glasses slide down slightly.

“Really!” Starlight confirmed. “And her magic is a little berserk, and well, I guess she destroyed the Heart! But Twilight thinks she can fix it and Princess Cadance thought you could help!” She rapidly explained the situation to him who widen his eyes at the mention they could use his help.

“Me?” Sunburst asked in surprise.

“Of course!” Starlight responded as he backs up into his bookshelf accidentally. “You're an important wizard in the Crystal Empire! It just makes sense!”

“Right... right... right right right.” Sunburst awkwardly trailed away as he put away his books. “You know, I'd like to help, I-I really would. I-I just have so much, um, important wizard work to do around here.” Sunburst declined as he randomly sort out multiple books on his bookshelf clearly trying to avoid something.

“Huh?!” Starlight and Spike reacted in astonishment.


Back outside Midnight is currently watching over seeing the Princesses are starting to struggle to hold off the storm. Seeing that she has done enough work in the skies she then flies over and looks over and checks up on her duplicate who shows her a visual from her aura of Twilight and Cadance are planning to try to use the book they found in the library to help them reconstruct the Crystal Heart.

Amused knowing their attempt will fail, she has the duplicate disappear and reemerge in her seeing that she has done her work.

“Perfect!” She said to herself with a smirk. “Everything is going according to plan!” She said as she flew back the castle to oversee Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy’s failed attempts to tell the Crystal Ponies standing in front of the castle to leave as they refuse to believe that the Crystalling has been postponed.

“You can't stay here!” Applejack again told the stubborn ponies.

“Did I mention this was a Royal Crystalling? When the crystaller holds the young one aloft, all of the Empire will share their joy and light, and the Crystal Heart will beat stronger than it ever has before!” The pony with multiple mustaches and a French accent brought up to every pony while clearly ignoring the earth pony.

“It really is a moving ceremony!” A pony wearing a dark blue shirt and hat added.

“I really don't think it's going to happen.” Fluttershy kindly insisted otherwise.

“Come on, it's freezing out here!” Rainbow yelled out to them as he shivered from the extreme cold.

“Uh, this is the Crystal Empire. We've seen snow before.” A pony sitting on a lounge chair shrugged it off as it’s no big deal.

“Not like this!” Shining Armor called out as he ran up onto the stage. “We don't have time to argue! Princess Cadance has decided to evacuate the city!” He seriously told the crowd of ponies who gasp.

“But the Crystalling...!” The mustache pony brought up.

“I don't know if we'll ever have another Crystalling again! The Crystal Heart... is shattered.” Shining Armor broke the news to them as he has no choice but to make it clear to them who all gasp in shock hearing this.

“It's not safe here!” The mare exclaimed in realization to which caused the farm pony to face hoof irritated that it took them this long to realize the severity of the situation

“That's what we've been tryin' to tell you!” Applejack told them clearly exasperated as they all make their way to the train station while Midnight watches out of sight as she transforms into a very dark purple cloud as it follows them.

“And now for the fun part.” Midnight said to herself with a smirk as she secretly followed all of the ponies to the train station.


Back inside Sunburst’s home Starlight is now clearly taken aback and annoyed that Sunburst is refusing to help other’s in a time of need.

“Sunburst, I know you're busy, but did you hear what I said?” Starlight told the unicorn more urgently than before.

“Oh, I heard you, but-but like I said, when you're an important wizard, the work just piles up.” Sunburst simply replied not even looking at her.

“Sunburst!” Starlight shouted to get him to pay attention to her who sighs as he took off his glasses briefly to clean the lenses a little before putting them back on.

“Look, Starlight, I want to help. I do. But I can't. I wish I could.” He responded with regret in his voice.

“What do you mean?!” Starlight asked as she placed a hoof on his shoulder.

“Fixing an ancient relic? I-I can't even come close to doing something like that!” He truthfully admits his abilities limit himself too.

“But I thought you were an important wizard!” Starlight brought up.

“Well, you were wrong, okay?! I'm not an important wizard! I'm not even a wizard at all!” Sunburst tearfully confessed as he ran off much to Starlight and Spike’s shock before catching up with him in another room.

“I know it's hard for you to understand, but not all of us end up achieving greatness.” Sunburst ashamedly tells Starlight as he looks away.

“What? Why wouldn't I understand that?” Starlight asked as she approached him.

“Really? You're the protégé of the Princess of Friendship! I don't think she picks just anypony for that!” Sunburst brought up saying that she’s lucky to be under the tutelage of a princess.

“Technically, she's more of a student than a protégé.” Spike corrected with is mean with an arched eyebrow and annoyed frown by Starlight who quickly buries his head back under the table.

“Whatever. I'm sorry I'm not the big important wizard you were expecting.” Sunburst grimly apologized.

“Sunburst, I don't care if you're a wizard or not. I'm just surprised. You always knew so much about magic. I mean, look at all these books!” Starlight tried to assure him it’s no big deal and brought up the various books inside his house.

“Yeah, well, reading about magic is one thing, but you don't know what it was like at magic school! To know so much and not be able to do any of it!” Sunburst still lamented as he bitterly looked away in disappointment with himself as he slams a hoof on the table.

“Well, you don't know what it was like to be left behind!” Starlight retorted. “And then getting so bitter that you steal the cutie marks from an entire village and then get defeated by Twilight and her friends, so you travel through time to get back at them, but they beat you again and teach you about friendship, but you're so terrified ponies will find out what you did that you can't make any friends!” She then tearfully exclaimed.

Sunburst hearing this gave a surprised look as his glasses before slid off of his face before he quickly readjusted them.

“Did you really travel through time?” Sunburst asked very impressed of what he had just heard.

“See? I told you he'd be impressed.” Spike told Starlight with a knowing nudge.

“I'm sorry we lost touch.” Sunburst apologized. “Maybe if I had reached out, you could have helped me at magic school, and I could have helped you to...”

“Not become totally evil?” Starlight finished with a smile to which Sunburst smiles back. “Let's just say I know what it's like to have something you're not exactly proud of.” Starlight assured her he is not the only pony who has done things they regret while looking down and then away with deep regret.

“When you showed up thinking I was some big wizard... I'm sorry. I should have told you the truth.” Sunburst apologized for his dishonesty,

“It's fine.” Starlight assured him it’s okay as she placed a hoof on his shoulder. “At least we worked it all out. I think Twilight would be proud of us.”

“Well, if you ever want to tell her about it, we should probably leave now!” Spike suggested urgently as the clouds get darker and the winds grow stronger.

“I forgot to tell you!” Starlight gasped in realization. “They're evacuating the city! You need to get to the train station, unless you've got a spell here that will drive back the Frozen North and fix the Crystal Heart so the baby can have her Crystalling?” She added urgently as he pushed Sunburst to the exit as Sunburst ponders for a moment.

“Crystalling...! Of course!” Sunburst happily exclaimed as he thinks he’s got an idea as he quickly searches through his books as Starlight and Spike wonder what he is thinking as he reads.


Back in the skies the royal sisters are both continuing to fight off the storm as they grunt in agony by the storms as they started to freeze outside with snow sticking onto their fur.

“Push them back, my sister!” Celestia instructed her sister to up their power more as they find themselves covered by dark clouds seeing that this is now a losing battle as the many ponies are making their way to the train station.

Suddenly, the princesses find themselves with a clear opening much to their surprise then horror as they see a very familiar face as they gasp in horror who it was as they see a smirking Midnight with crossed hooves as she easily clears the area around them with her magic before closing the clouds back in as she brutally and viciously attacked them with multiples magic beams and multiple punches and kicks to them who scream in agony as she brutally beats them down.

“This way!” Shining Armor ordered them in the direction of the train station to which the ponies run down the icy roads in a panic.

One of the crystal ponies slips and slides on the icy road and into a snow pile with Fluttershy quickly helping her on her hooves as they press forward.

Rainbow Dash using her super speed quickly tackles down the dark clouds from above to but time for the ponies to escape as she flies down by Shining Armor and Applejack’s side as they lead the evacuation.

“Just a little bit further, y'all! The station's just ahead!” Applejack told everypony as they approach the train station.

But as they arrive they hear screams of pain come out from the skies as the two princesses come crashing down onto the ground from a high fall.

“Princess Celestia! Princess Luna!” Applejack exclaimed in horror seeing them beaten down and badly bruised. “What in the name of cold cider happened up there?!”

“She ambushed us.” Princess Celestia weakly said as she and her sister lose consciousness.

“Who?!” Shining Armor asked as a voice echoes through the train station the mist transforming back into her Midnight Sparkle form.

“That would me.” Midnight eerily replied as she loomed over every pony who gasps in shock seeing her. “Boo.” She calmly said as she used her magic to freeze up the tracks then quickly tail whipped Shining Armor back down to the ground when he tried to take a charging leap at him leaving the ponies quickly running back in the castle’s direction as Midnight chuckles of how easy it is to scare them.

Shining Armor quickly recovering from the attack quickly unleashes magic from his horn to which Midnight easily counters with a magic shield before redirecting the blast right back at him as Pinkie, Fluttershy, Rarity, and Applejack quickly sneak away with the alicorn princesses in tow while he fights off the menacing alicorn with Rainbow Dash who flies in to try attack her with her super speed only Midnight to fly up and dodge the attack easily while she accidentally crashes through the train window. Applejack and Fluttershy carry Celestia on their backs while Rarity and Pinkie carry Luna on their backs.

Now Midnight has got two opponents to face off against as she prepares herself for two against one as they all assume fighting stances as Rainbow Dash quickly recovers from the impact and joins by Shining Armor's side.

“Starlight!” Applejack called out to her, Spike, and Sunburst as she and Fluttershy struggle to carry Celestia to safety Princesses to safety. “We need help!” She directed their attention to the battered alicorns.

“Of course.” Starlight urgently used her magic to help carry Princess Luna while Sunburst carried Princess Celestia with his magic.

As all four ponies rushed off back to the castle with Spike on Starlight’s back as she looks back to see Pinkie carrying Rarity at top speed as she zooms her way back to the castle.

“Scary and crazy alicorn!” Pinkie screamed as she and Rarity scream with Luna in tow. “Run for your lives!”

Princess Celestia beginning to regain consciousness sees Sunburst who smiles at him.

“Sunburst.” She said after reawakening.

“Hello, your majesty.” Sunburst smiled as he continued running “Sorry we had to meet again under dire circumstances.”

“Oh, it’s all right.” Celestia reassured the unicorn as she continues smiling. “I have been in worse situations before.”

“Fortunately for everypony I know how to stop this!” Sunburst reassured her as they arrived at the castle where Twilight and Cadance after reading the spell from the book use their magic to give it a go. Sadly for them the spell failed as the heart still fell apart after performing it.


“The spell failed. I don't know what else to do.” Twilight lamented in defeat.

“An old student of mine believes he does.” Celestia tells her as she and Luna limb inside with the others walking by their side as they give them support so they don’t fall over.

“The baby did this?!” Sunburst questioned Twilight as he examines the shattered pieces.

“I tried putting it back together with—“ Twilight explained as she held up the book with her magic only for Sunburst to pull it with his magic and toss the book aside as he interrupted her.

“The spell of Relic Reconstitution. No, that won't do it.” He said as he pulled out a book from his saddlebag. “The Crystal Heart's been around for millennia. Restoring a relic like this is way beyond one spell.” He explained as he flipped through the pages to show Twilight the specific page he stopped at. “You need to combine it with something else. Something unique to the relic itself. Something that strengthens it and provides it with power...?” He told the alicorn as he grabs the book with her magic as she reads it and then gets an idea.

“The Crystalling!” Twilight exclaimed what they need to do to stop the blizzard.

At that moment Shining Armor is heard screaming towards them as he tumbles inside already battered and bruised from his most recent fight with Midnight.

“Shining Armor!” Twilight exclaimed in horror seeing her brother badly beaten up as Cadance runs up to him.

“What happened to you?!” Cadance also asked in the same tone as she helps up her husband as he is barely able to stand on his hooves.

“She ambushed us!” Shining Armor spoke in pain as he struggled to stand up as he fell back down on the ground.

“Who?” Cadance asked as they heard Rainbow Dash’s screaming as she flies through the room and crashes into the wall across the room imprinting her silhouette as she fall back down to the floor completely wiped out.

“Well it wasn’t King Sombra himself that’s for sure.” Midnight casually replied with her voice echoing in the room as a cloud of smoke appeared as a powerful blast of magic before appearing over everypony in flight as everypony reacts in shock and horror seeing her. "Hello." She casually greeted like before.

Pinkie quickly runs out of the room in top speed, Rarity shrieks at the sight of her and then runs away in the opposite direction.

“AAAHHH! NO!” Rarity screamed.

The baby quickly hid behind Cadance’s mane and whimpered in fear of her. Even when she is a newborn, she is smart enough to know that alicorn is bad news right away from first glance.

Fluttershy whimpered as she held behind her mane and covered her eyes while peaking up at what she was seeing to make sure this isn’t a nightmare.

"Whoa nelly!" Applejack said in horror as she took her hat off briefly at the sight of the villainous alicorn floating in mid-air in front of her.

“Is that?” Starlight spoke in shock.

“How could it be?” Sunburst spoke in the same tone as Twilight the only pony showing no fear in the face of her evil counterpart flies up to her eye level.

“Midnight!” Twilight glared at the alicorn in front of her.

“That’s right Twilight!” Midnight told the lavender mare as she smirked at her. “You never thought you’d see me again did you!” She then evilly laughed as Pinkie and Rarity peer their heads out from their hiding spots while watching her completely terrified out of their minds.

“How are you here?” Twilight asked with controlled fury. “Why are you doing this?”

“Why am I doing this?” Midnight asked her as if this was a trick question. “Ah, Twilight, Twilight. So smart and powerful yet always so naïve in the face of the truth.” She replied as Twilight still glares at her. “Just finishing up what you started thanks to your niece shattering the Crystal Heart, before taking down the princesses, your so-called brother, and one of your so-called friends. And now thanks to her and you the Crystal Empire is once again doomed.” She said as she gestured them to her battered up companions and the shattered heart. “Have fun repairing the damage you created and thanks for bringing me back because this is only the beginning.” Midnight declared as she evilly laughed before she disappeared in a cloud of smoke but not before leaving behind the same symbol she left behind after traumatizing Fluttershy with magic writing on the ground that says “Until next time… Midnight Sparkle!”

Twilight reading the message her villainous counterpart left behind silently figures out how and why this has all happened but decided not say to anything about it right at this moment.

“No! Not this time!” Twilight vowed as she focused on what really needs to be done as she turns to face the others.

“Was that Midnight Sparkle in her own form?” Sunburst asked Twilight after recovering from his brief shock.

“We’ll deal with her later!” Twilight firmly told him as she held up the book he presented. “We got to get the Crystal Heart fixed up and running before the empire is buried in snow! So you were saying about we can do if we combine the Crystalling with something.” She told the orange unicorn to get things back on track.

“Combining that spell with the light and love of everypony gathered for the ceremony, together with...”Sunburst continued his solution explanation as everypony gathers around him and Twilight before levitating a book for Starlight to read. “Somnambula's Weather Abjuration to clear away the snow... and a little Fledgling's Forbearance for the parents...” He gave Shining Armor a scroll to read from. “Heh. That should curb the little one's power fluctuations.” He added as he closely greeted the baby alicorn as she grabbed onto his muzzle.

“You must be Sunburst. Starlight said you were a powerful wizard.” Cadance greeted.

“Oh, I'm no wizard.” Sunburst corrected much to everypony’s confusion at hearing this.

“But he studied magic his whole life! You should see his house! And since nopony has any better ideas, what do we have to lose?!” Starlight brought up a little urgently to remind everypony of the severity of the situation.

“She’s right!” Twilight spoke up. “Last time the Crystal Heart was shattered everypony ended up losing to the face of the enemy that day. But know that we have the solution we can fix the Crystal Heart for good this time. I’m not about to let what could have happened if I didn’t back off then happen again.” She voiced her serious determination not to let reminders of her past overcome her again. “Not this time!”

“I had planned on asking Twilight to be our crystaller, but since it seems like she'll be busy...” Shining Armor spoke up as she levitated the baby over to Sunburst.

“I'd be honored!” Sunburst accepted as the baby giggled in delight.

“Well, what are we waiting for?!” Twilight spoke up with determination as Applejack, Pinkie, Fluttershy, Rarity, Cadance, and Spike all head outside knowing that the Crystalling has to go on as planned while Shining Armor and Rainbow Dash follow behind and can only watch as the other battered princesses help Twilight and Starlight use their magic to restore the heart as they gathered around the center of the room.

Twilight started it off first by using her magic to piece the heart back together and continuing to fire a substantial beam of magic at its direction to keep holding I together. Next both Princess Celestia and Princess Luna despite being weaken by Midnight’s attack we both are help Twilight sustain the heart together as they sent substantial blasts at the heart. After Starlight gives the book one last look she then fires her sustained magic blast at the heart as all four ponies together keep the heart together.

Outside of the castle all of the ponies gathered in front of everypony as Sunburst presents the newborn baby to which both Shining Armor and Princess Cadance both kiss her on the cheeks intertwining their magic together to lift their daughter up into the air. Next up, Rarity presents the case of crystals for Sunburst to choose from.

“Citizens! May I present the newest member of the Crystal Empire!” Sunburst announced as he presents to every pony the baby. The crowd cheers as everypony watches in awe.

“She's beautiful!” The moustache pony complimented.

“Oh! It's just so moving!” The pony with the blue hat and shirt added very touched by what they are seeing while moving to tears as everypony bows down to the newborn princess as Sunburst places the crystal onto the crystal roads which illuminated upon contact with the crystal ponies magical touch before running back inside to insert the crystal into the heart allowing the four ponies to stop sustaining their magic as the heart glows now sturdy and back in place.

A bright light flashed in the room giving every pony crystallized coats of fur and manes. Twilight, Starlight, and Sunburst found their manes all bundled up in a formal and fancy manner and then the rest of the ponies standing at the stage as the burst put an end to the never ending winter storm as everypony cheered that the day has been saved again.

“Best Crystalling ever!” The elderly mare said as they all cheered that the nightmare has come to an end.

As the Mane Five and the married couple return with their baby in their hooves, Twilight is now giving a sigh of relief that the Crystal Heart is cleansed of all dark magic she placed inside of it.

“For a pony who isn't great at magic, you did pretty well.” Starlight complimented Sunburst.

“Indeed.” Princess Celestia agreed. “I'm glad to see you've found a way to share your unique gift, Sunburst. You may be more of a wizard than you think.” She further complimented to which both Starlight and Sunburst both silently laugh to each other at the irony of the whole situation and how it all comes to full circle.

“I just glad that everything is now back to normal seeing that spell did the trick to make the heart come stronger than before.” Twilight said as she turned to Sunburst. “Well done, Sunburst. Without you the Crystal Empire would be a winter wasteland by now.” She complimented him for his accomplishment.

“Aw, it was nothing.” Sunburst thought nothing of it. “Nothing, compared to facing off against that alicorn with no fear. I mean no pony is ever brave enough to face someone so powerful and dangerous like her and come out without a scratch or bruise. If anything you are fearless in the face of danger.” He complimented on Twilight’s bravery to which she briefly smiled and blushed at the praise she was given. “Though, I wonder what was she talking about you and the baby helping her return.” He brought up Midnight’s words to her.

“Yeah!” Applejack brought up. “What was all that?”

Before Twilight could answer the mist of dark magic expelled from the Crystal Heart as a result from the spell with a cloud forming with Midnight's image appearing inside of it.

“Hello!” The dark mare greeted. “If you’re watching this then you have succeeded in restoring the Crystal Heart. Congratulations, Princess Twilight, Princess of Friendship, you’ve passed the test.” Midnight sincerely commended the young alicorn’s talents through her recorded message. “I always knew shortly since my resurrection thanks to the dark magic you left behind you had what it took to pull it off. Sorry, I couldn’t be around to personally tell you that myself but it felt it was in my best interests not to further alarm the crystal ponies at this time seeing that this crisis and my appearance has already terrorized your sister-in-law’s subjects enough. Having said that consider this a warning for what’s to come in the future since it is only a matter of time now whether it takes up to a thousand moons for Equestria to be under control under the right hooves. For this, this attack on the Crystal Empire, is only the beginning, Twilight Sparkle.” She said as she prepared to turn away before raising a hoof up as she remembered something. “Oh and Fluttershy.” She added as the confused and meek Pegasus blinked in confusion. “Boo.” She gave a simple scare to which caused the Pegasus to fly up to the ceiling chandelier to hang on to it while shaking and trembling in fright as Midnight chuckled in amusement. “Wow, that girl really is scared of everything, it’s no wonder none of you ever considered pranking her. She’s just too easy even when she’s the scare master of the bunch.” She raised a hoof up as she shrugged of how easy it is for her to scare the best of the best. “Anyways, until next time.” She concluded her message as she clapped her hooves as her heart glowed as the cloud of smoke dissipated into nothing.

Just after that all happened, Twilight then widen her eyes in realization of what Midnight was talking about and how this all happened as she looks in the Crystal Heart’s direction with silent and horrified guilt written all over her face.

“Twilight, you okay?” Cadance asked her as she approached her with the baby.

“I’m fine.” Twilight replied as she still looked spaced out at the heart’s direction. “Expect for the fact that what had just happened really is all my fault.” She added with deep regret as everypony wonders how this is all possible.

“What do you mean?” Spike asked wondering where this is going.

“What did you do?” Shining Armor asked as Twilight sighs unable to look at anypony with she is about to tell them.

“I…” Twilight struggled a little as she started to explain the truth. “The dark magic I placed into the Crystal Heart when I secretly took over the Crystal Empire back when King Sombra invaded the Crystal Empire while having the ability to hold up the Crystal Heart if shattered also was created with the purpose to be able to resurrect me after my passing so I that could go on to rule Equestria for many moons to come and go.” She said as she looked up at the Heart. “But it seems that a mist of dark magic instead managed to assume and create Midnight in her own form now that I able no longer under the dark magic’s influence and that I’m still alive.”

“But how exactly did this mist of dark magic manage to assume your villainous form.” Princess Luna inquired as Twilight tilts her head to face her while not completely turning around.

“Remember when I was suffering nightmares and dreams about her?” Twilight brought up to which Luna nodded that she remembers. “After overcoming my nightmares, I found there were some residuals of dark magic that was still in my heart even after being cleansed of it by the Elements of Harmony…” She explained as she rubbed the back of her head as she looked aside from Celestia and Luna. “…So I casted a spell to get rid of it to ensure darkness would never consume or cloud my judgement again which is the reason Fluttershy turned into Flutterbat on Nightmare Night.” She said with a nervous gulp as she briefly glances at every pony’s various reactions of hearing this revelation.

Fluttershy and Rarity while surprised were sympathetic with Twilight’s plight. Pinkie could only wish there was some way to lighten the mood to help Twilight feel before about her own self-guilt but sadly she could not figure out how to do it nor felt like now was a good time to try and lighten the mood seeing how very serious things have gotten. Of all of the villains she dealt with before Midnight is one threat even Pinkie herself knows she is not to be taken lightly with a grain and oats.

Applejack and Rainbow Dash after the latter regained the strength to stand up were both in disbelief that Twilight had kept this from them this whole time but understanding of her reasons. Princess Luna personally wished that Twilight had told her about it right away so she could have done something about it before it could develop into some major. Princess Cadance holds nothing against her deep down while Princess Celestia while also wishing she told her is more focused on figuring out how to deal with Midnight before she could make her next move. Shining Armor could only look on before looking aside in guilt seeing of how the worst things she had ever said to her little sister really set into effect the huge domino effect that led to everything that had happened up to this point. Starlight and Sunburst we are also both amazed and very understanding why Twilight didn't say anything and how crazy-prepared she was when she Midnight with always having a plan for every outcome life throws at her.

“So Midnight was the true reason why I nearly killed everypony on Nightmare Night.” Fluttershy first spoke completely stunned.

“Yeah.” Twilight sadly answered.

“But why would you do that darling?” Rarity asked as Twilight briefly turns her head to face her.

“Because I wanted to ensure I didn’t repeat the same mistakes I made that lead to me becoming Midnight.” Twilight answered as she started to tear up. “Because I didn’t want to go through hurting all of their lives all over again all because your closet friends and family abandoned you in a time of need. Growing so bitter and resentful you become the very exact opposite of your true self and commit multiple ruthless atrocities including shattering the Crystal Heart to take over Equestria. But you know what, instead of getting that I end up creating my worst enemy who is now half way across Equestria preparing to take over Equestria.” She tearfully exclaimed. “And now because of me I have now started a war now that Midnight is out and large with who knows how and when she’ll attack. Just when I thought everything from my dark past is all taken care of it resurfaces all over again with a mind of its own.”

“And before learning more about her I thought my backstory was tragic.” Starlight whispered to Sunburst as they see the alicorn sadly tearing up with what she has created in her attempts to move on from the past.

“Did she seriously arrange to have the heart resurrect her in the event she were to die?” Sunburst asked in amazement of how well-prepared she was for any case scenario when she was Midnight. “Wow, for somepony who used to be a villain that’s pretty impressive and well-thought out planning there!”

All of the princesses then decided to approach her as Celestia got the sobbing mare to look her in the eyes.

“It’s okay, Twilight.” Celestia reassured her with a wing on her back. “We all made mistakes we never intended to make. Nopony not you and not even me are immune to that.”

“And do not feel afraid to come to us and tell us with how you are really feeling because that what’s we’re here for.” Luna added as she too placed a hoof on her shoulder.

“You got a lot of love and support from everypony in this room and all around Equestria.” Cadance told Twilight as she hugged her sister-in-law and directed her attention to her friends and all of the crystal ponies. “And if there is any pony who can defeat a pony of great evil it is you.”

“She’s right!” Applejack agreed. “We’re here for you this time. And one thing we can tell you is that we’re not making the same mistake twice.”

“You have come a long way since you reformed, Twilight. And nothing is going to undo the bond we just repaired like with the Crystal Heart.” Fluttershy sweetly added.

“And if me and Sunburst’s rekindled friendship is saying something, we will definitely be by your side all the way.” Starlight also assured her as she eyed Sunburst who also smiles in support of the alicorn who in turn smiles seeing that her first friendship lesson is a success. “Thankfully, I have a great teacher to help see that.”

“Really?” Twilight responded with a blushed smile. “How wonderful to see how things worked well between you too even with everything that has happened.”

“It’s sure helps that said teacher shares a lot of common ground with me since I just reformed too.” Starlight answered as she approached her.

“We’re here for you, Twilight.” Cadance told her as they broke apart from the hug. “And we will help through this together as promised.”

“You’re right girls!” Twilight agreed as she made her way towards the stairs. “Although with Midnight now back stronger and more dangerous than before it won’t be easy.” She said as she looked outside towards Equestria’s borders direction. “With my past fully behind me, protecting Equestria just got a lot harder.” She added as everypony walks beside as they look on towards the Equestrian borders. “But no matter what happens in the end, we will defeat Midnight.”

“Hopefully.” Rainbow Dash said sounding unsure if she can be beat.

“What’s going on down there?” One of the male crystal ponies questioned from outside.

“We heard some terrifying voice down there.” Another female crystal pony voiced her concerns. “Is everything all right down there?”

Twilight look at the others with the princess’s nod at her to address everypony. “Come on, Cadance, we better tell them.” She told the princess of love who joins her by her side with the other princesses following after them as Twilight walks up onto the stage to address everypony in a serious tone.

"Fillies and gentlecolts," Twilight began as she got every pony’s attention. "You have been probably wondering of the mysterious alicorn that had appeared in the snow storm. It is with an honest heart and deep regret that I tell you that pony you saw was Midnight Sparkle herself.”

Hearing this causes the crowd to gasp in shock hearing this confirmation of what they saw is true.

“So that was really Midnight back there in the blizzard?” The female pony asked.

“And behind the snowstorm that had just happened?” The pony with the blue shirt and hat asked.

“How is that even possible?” The mustache pony asked in disbelief.

“I’m afraid that’s because of me as a result of me placing dark magic in the heart when King Sombra last appeared that allowed her to have the power to resurrect herself combined with dark magic I purged myself of shortly after my reformation.” Twilight sighed as she calmly confessed. “And for I truly and sincerely apologize for the trouble I caused to you all again. And I’ll understand if you never want to see me again for this.”

“Why would you say that?” The blue-shirt pony asked sounding completely incredulous at the thought of wanting Twilight gone and out of their lives.

“What do you mean?” Twilight asked in surprise.

“You saved everypony from her.” He answered with a smile. “You came for us all!”

“Yeah!” The mustache pony backed his response. “Especially considering you put our needs before yours which is something that diabolical alicorn would never have done in your hooves.”

“Exactly!” The female pony added. “As far as every pony’s concerned it is that Midnight pony we should be going after, not you. You have redeemed yourself Princess Twilight.” She firmly told the Princess of Friendship that they hold nothing against her as Princess Cadance steps forward to speak to crowd

“Having said that, defending Equestria has just gotten a lot harder with what had just happened...” Cadance spoke up as took her turn with her announcement. “…Which is why I am ordering all ponies to be on alert effective immediately for Midnight Sparkle’s whereabouts and activities and will be expecting to be reported immediately if anything of her whereabouts comes up so that we can be prepared to deal with her on the spot.”

“And not just in the Crystal Empire.” Princess Luna spoke up.

“That goes for all of Equestria. Spread the word!” Princess Celestia spoke up. “All of Equestria effective immediately will be on high alert for Midnight Sparkle and we take all precautionary measures to ensure she doesn’t get the drop on us.”

“And most importantly we can assure you all is that no matter what happens, in the end we will defeat Midnight Sparkle!” Twilight vowed as the crystal ponies cheered in support of her and the princesses as they all stood together side by side on the stadium.


Later at the train station after the crystalling, when Twilight and her friends were ready to board the train ride home, Twilight and Shining Armor’s parents had just arrived at the train station so they can meet their new granddaughter.

“You would not believe the crazy weather that delayed our train. Came out of nowhere.” Night Light laughed it off while unaware of what happened that lead up to it.

“But it was all worth it to see this peaceful little angel!” Twilight Velvet added while thinking nothing of it as she met the baby face to face to which the baby giggled as she reached out to her. “Awww, so sweet! Come to your grandmare!”

“Yeah, peaceful now, anyway.” Applejack agreed.

“Sure is now.” Twilight agreed.

Then the baby started itching up the urge to sneeze again to which every pony braced themselves for the magical blast but thankfully the baby juts let loose a simple sneeze with no magic now that her magic is under control.

“We have Sunburst to thank for that.“ Shining Armor thankfully spoke after seeing another magical crisis averted.

“I hope he takes his role as crystaller seriously. Something tells me the baby will need a pony like him to look to for magical advice.” Cadance added as she eyed Sunburst.

“Cadance, darling, aren't we gonna name the poor little dear, or are we gonna spend our entire visit just calling her "the baby"?” Twilight Velvet brought up as she held the baby with her magic so she can take a turn holding her.

“We were thinking... "Flurry Heart".” Cadance brought up after a brief moment of thinking with Shining Armor.

“You know, to remember the occasion.” Shining Armor agreed.

“Oh, goodness, how could anypony forget?” Rarity laughed off the crisis that had just happened.

“I think it's lovely.” Twilight kept her composure of thinking about the crisis as she sweetly smiles and kisses her niece goodbye before she and her friends board their train ride home.

“Well, I think you're the Crystal Empire's big important wizard, whether you like it or not.” Starlight said to her old friend as they say goodbye to each other.

“I don't know if I'll have time for any wizarding. I'm a crystaller now. That's a big responsibility.” Sunburst replied with a slight blush.

“I can't think of anypony more qualified.” Starlight assured him that he will do fine. “Just... promise you'll stay in touch?”

“Hm, like I'd ever lose touch with my oldest friend.” Sunburst agreed as they hugged each other while Twilight secretly observes the moment from the window as Starlight boards the train as it gets ready to leave the station while looking uncertain.

“What's wrong, Twilight?” Spike asked. “You’re not still worried about Midnight are you?”

“I don't know, Spike.” Twilight answered. “It seems I still have a lot to learn about redemption with everything that has happened and that I still have a set a bigger example to my pupil.”

“What are you talking about? Your lesson went perfectly!” Spike assured her again that things worked out in the end. Starlight and Sunburst got over their past and rekindled their friendship! Even with Midnight’s scene back there everypony sees you as a truly redeemed pony! They have truly forgiven you for your evil actions and supported you in your vow to defeat her!”

“No thanks to me.” Twilight glumly replied. “I know a lot happened. I just wish I had time to give my pupil the attention she deserves to help her through this.”

“Well, I know she needed to be put on the right path and she did ask for it, but by giving her the space to make her own decisions worked pretty well. Isn't that how Celestia taught you?” Spike brought up while giving her a knowing smile.

“You know, I never thought about it! But I guess it is!” Twilight answered after she briefly gave some thought into as she placed a hoof on her chin.

“Maybe you're a better teacher than you thought.” Spike complimented as their train ride started to leave the station as it heads its way back to Ponyville. “Though I just wish I knew what Midnight is planning know since she didn’t take over today so we can be prepared for whatever she does next.”

“Well, you do have your orb that allows you to spy on other ponies.” Spike brought up.

“You mean like what I used to find out you and Big Mac got together for apple cider and doughnuts at my castle.” Twilight replied with a knowing look directed at Spike with a raised eyebrow to which Spike blushes in embarrassment realizing he’s busted.

“You and Big Mac did what?” Applejack asked having overheard their conversation. “No wonder why he came home and felt terrible afterwards. I had to clean up all of the apples he spilled from all of the buckets that missed the bucket not to mention the vomit he left behind in our tree planting holes.”

“Well at least he didn’t kick the bucket there, Right?” Spike nervously laughed and tried to joke it off as both Twilight and Applejack glare at him clearly not finding that joke funny.

“No, Spike. No.” Twilight flatly said clearly unamused.

“Yeah, that was just dark there Spike.” Applejack added equally unimpressed with the attempted joke. “As dark as rotten apples.”

“Well orange you glad I changed.” Twilight told Applejack in a deadpan tone as they both then burst out into laughter at the joke she had just made.

“That was so bad.” Applejack laughed with Twilight.

“I know.” Twilight acknowledged in laughs. “Then why are laughing at that old joke.”

“Because it’s so bad it’s so funny.” Applejack laughed as the rest of the passengers watch as they continuously laugh as the rest of their friends join in on the laughing party.

“Great!” Pinkie laughed. “A laughing party. Just the thing we before our welcome back party back in Ponyville.” She cheerfully exclaimed as she raised and spread confetti in the room. “And it’s definitely going to be sweet!” She added as everypony laughs at their puns.

“You’re killing me!” Rainbow Dash laughed as their train ride traveled back to Ponyville.


Meanwhile outside of Equestria, Midnight is currently flying around until she sees an army of creatures going through training exercises from a distance.

The creatures seeing her quickly get into fighting stances ready to try to bring her as they charge and leap up at her to which Midnight quickly shields herself with wind she conjured up to heavily slap them back down to the ground leaving them all subdued effortlessly.

“Who are you?” A female voice called out and demanded. “State your name and business!”

“It’s all right.” Midnight answered as she flew down to the ground with her wings still spread out in the voice's direction. “Sorry to interrupt your training session with your guards as well as the alarming welcome.”

“Just what are you supposed to be.” The voice said as was secretly seeing Midnight from the shadows of the nearby cave still glared at the alicorn with dagger eyes and a flared horn ready to attack her.

“Somepony who finds an interest of seeking what they’re looking for in life.” Midnight calmly answered in the cave's direction.

“Join the club.” The shadowed figure coldly replied. “Just what exactly could you possibly offer me that could convince me to work with you?” She suspiciously asked the tall and dark-furred alicorn.

“Actually, that’s exactly what I wanted to do.” Midnight told her as she slowly approached her. “To be able to join your army, for the chance to get what we both want.”

“Really?” The voice skeptically replied as she still continued to have her horn threateningly flare at her, “And what could you possibly offer that could just convince and my boss that?”

“A place where there’s Equestrian magic with four very powerful alicorns like me where your boss can be able to create and control the weather as he pleases and where you will be able to maybe better and more powerful control of your magic out of it if you are up to reclaiming what’s rightfully yours.” Midnight hinted as she eyed in Equestria on the last part of her sentence.

“So what your telling me is that there are princesses like you back in Equestria who can actually do that?” The pony spoke of intrigued interest of what she told her. “Ok, I’m listening.” She said as she canceled her horn’s flare and gestured her to follow her up the nearby hill. “Let’s discuss this more with my boss. I’m sure he’ll be just as interested to hear what you have to say.”

“Excellent!” Midnight replied with a satisfied smile as they prepare to walk side by side on the way over to discuss more of what she has to say and propose. “And what might your name be?” She asked the unicorn who emerged from the shadows.

“My name is Tempest Shadow.” The mare answered as she faced Midnight with an evil grin to reveal herself having violet fur, a red mane, with black armor and shoes, a broken horn, and a scar of her right eye.

Author's Note:

In the second part of this version the Season 6 opener, we have the Crystal Empire doomed again thanks to Flurry Heart (accidentally), and Midnight Sparkle now fully revived and resurrected in her own form.

In her first appearance, Midnight shows that she is the same pony she was when Twilight was evil as she wastes no time establishing herself as a very serious threat moreso compared to villains before and after her. She accelerates the winter snow storm, ambushes Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Shining Armor, and Rainbow Dash, cuts off the crystal ponies escape route, nearly has the Crystal Empire frozen to death until Sunburst came to the rescue with the right spell, and even when the heroes prevail this doesn't deter Midnight who sees this whole arrangement she set up as sending a message to Twilight that she successfully passed her test of saving the empire and that this is only the beginning of the war she will soon release on Equestria in the future.

The dark magic inside the heart was magic to serve as Twilight resurrection magic as a back-up plan arranged in the events should her eventual death and the Crystal Heart's destruction were to happen.

As for Twilight's redemption, as of this episode, she has successfully moved on from her past, but it is not completely over for her as her recent actions brought forward her worst enemy to life who now is out and large laying low until she is ready to attack and take over Equestria. But with her friends and family's support now that any traces of her villainous past affecting her personally aside from Midnight's resurrection now behind her as her redemption in every pony's eyes has been completed with a new redemption arc in dealing with the just created threat of Midnight Sparkle on the rise now laying low for the time being.

As for Midnight's return with the Crystal Heart shattered in cannon, I thought long and hard of how I wanted Midnight to return in this version of the story and after seeing that she is too good of a villain to have her arc ended in this episode like other Arc Villains in the show I decided to have her emerge out of this episode unscathed and unbeaten to establish of how dangerous she is alone. And now one of Twilight's worst fears coming to life as now with Midnight's return, a war is starting to brew and has just begun.

That being said a fitting conclusion of Twilight's redemption arc of putting her villainous past behind her as she now will later help Starlight Glimmer and later Sunset Shimmer with their redemption arcs while also being on alert for dealing with Midnight Sparkle a new foe created from this crisis in the beginning of this new arc which will continue on into the following seasons.

With the cliffhanger, this will tell us that they wouldn't be seeing her in action until much later in the second arc as she joins forces into the leadership of a certain army with a certain unicorn and storm creature who appears much later in this series.

Next up in the beginning of the second arc of this story is "Gauntlet of Fire." where Twilight and her companions take a trip to the Dragon Lands to see a new ruler assume the throne.

PreviousChapters Next