• Published 26th Feb 2020
  • 1,100 Views, 98 Comments

Jumper - lollipopchica



Chrysalis never thought anything could come between her and her sister. But when threats, secrets, politics and romance threaten her reality, will she ever be able to look at ponykind the same way again?

  • ...
7
 98
 1,100

Chapter 28

“How was the basketball game?” Justinian asked his daughters as he drove them to school.

This morning had been tense more than usual. He knew it was a bad idea to not go to the game.

Cadence snorted.

Chrysalis continued to stare out the window timidly.

Justinian rolled his eyes at the stifling emotion in the car.

“Am I talking to myself here? What is going on between the two of you?” God, where was his wife?

“Ya know, I find myself wondering the same thing.” Cadence said. “Anything you might want to say, Chrysalis?”

“The game was nice, Dad,” Chrysalis breathed. She glanced down at her bandaged wrist. “What time are you coming to get me for my appointment?”

“After lunch. I can’t believe you fractured your wrist.” He tried to gauge her response through the rearview mirror.

“Yeah... Last night was pretty wild.”

“Who brought you home, again?” Cadence interjected a little too eagerly. She caught a ride with one of the girl’s as her boyfriend had disappeared with the school loser so some people had told her.

Chrysalis turned to look at the bratty teen she called her sister.

She loved Cadence with everything she had. Everything she had done up to this point had been to spare Cadence from that pig of a pony person and yet none of it had amounted to anything. Regal was practically her new best friend.

As Chrysalis’ eyes locked onto her own, Cadence felt a little taken aback at the emotion she could sense from her sister. It actually hurt her, so much so that she found herself sinking back into her seat and turning around and leaving her alone for a bit.

What was going on?

“Are we still going driving later?” Cadence asked her dad instead. Most of her friends had permits.

Ten minutes later, Justinian pulled up into the school parking lot.

“I’ll see you guys later!“ Both girls took their time gathering their belongings.

“Bye Dad,” Chryalis shrugged on her backpack and started towards the doors without waiting on a response.

“See you, Daddy!”

“Cadenza...” Her father gave her a warning glance. She rolled her eyes. “See ya!” She sprinted off after her sister being sure to reach for her good wrist.

“How long?”

“How long what?” Chrysalis rolled her eyes as she was spun to face the younger.

“How long have you been sleeping with my boyfriend?” She blurted out. It was Shining Armor who had dropped Chrysalis off last night. Late as fuck too. She knew for a fact the two had missed the last quarter of the game and it infuriated her to no end.

Her sister stared at her as if she were a psycho. “What?! Are you stupid?!“

“I’m an Alicorn... That shit doesn’t work on me.” She bit out the explicit that was so unlike herself.

“We’re just friends,” Chrysalis rolled her eyes in annoyance.

“Friends? Right!” Cadence sucked on her teeth and folded her arms across her chest.

“Obviously a lot happened last night, and you seem to be the only one missing something.” The older Halfling had her own questions. “How long have you been talking to that creep?”

“That’s none of your business!” Cadence defended.

“It is when he shows up here!” Chrysalis’s eyes narrowed dangerously. “He’s not who you think he is!” The dancer’s face said it all. With a groan, Chrysalis decided she was done with this conversation and turned to leave. Cadence followed much to her dismay.

“You don’t get to tell me who to associate with.” She huffed taking the stairs as quickly as her elder.

“But you’re allowed to tell me who I can talk to?”

“When I’m dating them, yes.”

Both girls ignored the looks people were giving them as they moved into the school. There was no doubt that word about last night’s altercation had come out.

“There’s nothing going on between Shining Armor and me. And for your information it was Fluffle Puff who brought me home.” Cadence didn’t look impressed. “Shining Armor cares about you. He’s with you!”

“Clearly not as much as he cares about you! You are unbelievable!” Cadence whined.

“You’re the one that sounds like a raving lunatic.” They rounded a corner stopping at the older girl’s locker.

“Is this a changeling thing? This need to have everyone’s attention and affection? Out of all the boys in this school, you had to pick him? Why? You really like fucking me over don’t you? First Regal and now Shining...”

“And paranoid.” Chrysalis opened her locker and rummaged for some things. “No one told you to break up with him last night.” The two had definitely skipped over that.

Cadence flushed as she recalled the careless words that had tumbled from her lips.

“You feed him that same sob story you fed Mom and Dad? Let’s see how he reacts when I tell him the truth about you.” She still couldn’t believe Shining Armor had chosen to stand with Chrysalis after everything was said. Couldn’t he see the other girl had issues?

The two stared at each other for a long time.

“...”

“...”

It was Chrysalis who broke the silent war of wills first.

“Cadence I’m warning you...”

“Warning me?” She snorted, “You should be begging me...”

“Don’t do this to me... If you care about me... even a little you wouldn’t... you wouldn’t do this...” Cadence was a lot of things but even she wasn’t this awful, Chrysalis thought as panic climbed up her spine.

“Tell me the truth then,” the younger girl straightened, satisfied with having the upper hand.

“We’re just friends...”

“And best actress goes to Chrysalis.” Cadence raised her voice in faux cheer as she clapped mockingly. “Friends... right...“ She turned to leave.

“Cadence!” Chrysalis desperately reached out and grabbed her wrist.

“Get your hands off me!” She snarled and ripped away.

“Hey, Cadie...” Both girls looked to see Shining Armor standing unsurely.

Chrysalis couldn’t help but shoot him a helpless look.

Cadence narrowed her eyes. “Can we talk?” She straightened and turned a softened gaze to the upper classmen.

Shining Armor looked slightly uncomfortable. “Yea, you’re just who I wanted to speak to.”

Cadence smiled, “Good. I’m sorry about yesterday.”

“Let’s talk,” he said. “Chryssie, see you in class?”

Chrysalis could only nod as she watched the two stroll away.

She felt tears gather in her eyes as she stood with her locker open.

The two disappeared down the hall and away from prying eyes.

Cadence spoke first, eager to explain her innocence in the matter.

“I didn’t mean what I said last night...” She halted as she held his hands.

Shining Armor squeezed her hands before dropping them and trying not to appear as tired as he felt. Last night had been exhausting and he wasn’t even involved.

“Cadence... Who are you? Really? Why...” Shining Armor took a deep breath as he thought over all he’d pondered over the previous night. “Why didn’t tell me Chrysalis is related you? That she’s your sister?”

“My family is Alicorn royalty. But we kept that private for safety, pleaaaase don’t say anything to anyone. Even the school doesn’t know.”

Nodding, the jock understood the secrecy for something like that. “And Chrysalis?”

“Yes, Chrysalis is my older sister.” Cadence bristled under his question admitting the truth as if it were burdensome. This was the part he was stuck on?

“Why... lie about that?” The jock didn’t understand.

“We haven’t exactly been on the best terms lately.” The teen sighed as she took a hand through her hair. “I’m not saying that to excuse not telling you but you have to understand- We left our old school because she did some things with some people that maybe she shouldn’t and a lot of people found out.”

“Like what?”

Cadence fixed him with a look. “You were there last night, what do you think?” He blinked and leaned away in understanding. “She’s not who you think she is.” She muttered darkly.

The upper classmen narrowed his eyes as he thought on the time he’d spent with the other girl. Chrysalis was certainly rough around the edges at times, but there was no one else like her in their school and he didn’t feel as if that were a bad thing. He liked her. A lot. She was intelligent, strong and selfless in a way that no one would ever suspect.

“Well who is she then?” He folded his arms across his chest as he stared down at the surprised girl in front of him. How could Cadence be her sister and not know these things?

Cadence stared up at him with affront. “Chrysalis is a liar, she runs away, gets into fights, antagonizes boys and obviously has a knack for inserting herself into other people’s relationships.”

“I just don’t understand,” Shining Armor shook his head hoping to make sense of all of this. “I feel like this isn’t you...” Her resentment seemed so out of character.

“Which is why I didn’t want people to know we’re related.” Cadence admitted as she deflated, leaning against the wall. “I regretted saying we weren’t related as soon as the words came out of my mouth, but it was too late! I should’ve been honest with you and I’m sorry for that... But my family is struggling and it’s hard for me to not blame her.” Tears shone in her eyes. “We wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for her. My parents wouldn’t be so stressed and it wouldn’t feel like our family is buckling under the weight of her mistakes.”

Shining Armor wanted to reach out and comfort her, but something held him back.

“I don’t know what to say...”

“Say that you understand and that you don’t think I’m an awful person. Tell me that you forgive me and that you still want to be with me.” Cadence implored as she stood straight and grasped his hand.

Cerulean eyes were swirling with grey.

Shining Armor opened his mouth to speak, but the late bell rang signaling the two to part ways.

Closing his mouth, he pulled his hand away and took step back. “I have to go,” he said leaving the prima donna staring after him in disbelief.

She called out his name in a panic, but the older boy waved her away and kept walking.

He needed time to think.

The day continued on and while Shining Armor couldn’t stop staring at the dark teen, he couldn’t make himself interact with her either. Cadence had been texting him constantly and he found he didn’t want to respond to her.

Ultimately the upperclassman sent her a message telling her that he needed space and that he would call her later.

He found himself messaging Chrysalis as well.

‘I want to talk to you...’ He texted her, ‘but I need time to make sense of this.’

He saw the slouch in her posture as her bright eyes discerned his message. He knew his stance hurt her and even though it was last thing he wanted to do, Shining Armor honestly didn’t know how to act at this point.

He even skipped art class.

Why did everything have to be so muddled?

Author's Note:

An update!

Hope you guys are still enjoying! I try to stay just so far ahead but these last few chapters I've been working on have been difficult. I guess on my end, things are getting closer to the end.

I don't know what it is about writing Cadence, but I always feel immensely bad for her. She toats get shafted in my stories, and while I adore QC, I find Cadence to be a bit more relatable. Maybe because I'm more similar to her than the other. But hopefully everyone can get a decent enough ending. We shall see!

Hope you guys enjoy!