• Published 26th Feb 2020
  • 1,100 Views, 98 Comments

Jumper - lollipopchica



Chrysalis never thought anything could come between her and her sister. But when threats, secrets, politics and romance threaten her reality, will she ever be able to look at ponykind the same way again?

  • ...
7
 98
 1,100

Chapter 26

Justinian sat numbly in his car in a densely full parking garage.

Most of his co-workers were already inside. He should’ve been too, but couldn’t be bothered to move.

Not now, anyway.

The purple notebook he held in his hand made his heart ache. While he was no connoisseur of art, he recognized angst when he saw it.

The ‘Property of Chrysalis’ distinctly scribbled on the back of the notebook cover made him feel inadequate as a parent. After dropping the girls off at school that morning, he’d noticed that his eldest daughter had left her notebook in the car.

It honestly hadn’t been his intention to look. The dark colored notebook had slipped out of his hand and fell open when he went to hold it up and call out to her. The pictures he saw were shocking.

Twisted people, riddled with holes decorated some of the pages. Their bodies were thin and jagged with lifeless china doll eyes and fangs. Some of them looked to always be laughing with Glasgow grins and an awful rictus of teeth. Other pictures showed a lone a figure drowning and sinking beneath inky depths with a tarnished gold bridge in the background.

There were even words. And those were the worst.

‘My body is not my own...’

‘She hates me...’

Angry scribbles of the words ‘freak,’ ‘loser,’ and ‘bug.’

Justinian was vaguely aware of his phone ringing and answering the call, via bluetooth. He was aware of his wife speaking but couldn’t stop staring at the journal until something caught his attention.

“Wait... what did you just say?”

“I said, I’m not coming to the game tonight.” Tonight the family was supposed to attend a basketball game in support of Cadence and have some time to observe and converse with their older daughter.

“You’re not coming.” His disappointment was palpable.

“You know I would if I could...”

Why did it seem that the two could never make their schedules work for their children? “Adelpha, what was the point of training up Noira if you’re just going to end back up in Canterlot for months at a time.” He slammed the journal shut and tightened his grip on it.

“I don’t like it either, Justin, but it’s the job.”

“What am I supposed to tell the girls?”

“The truth and that I’ll make it up to them.”

He groaned. ‘How am I supposed to deal with this alone?’ Their daughter clearly needed them both. Or maybe this was her style of art? Was he overreacting?

“You can’t go either. We need those records ASAP.”

“The girls need us,” Justin exploded.

“And they have us!” Adelpha replied defensively, “They’re stronger than you think.”

“I don’t doubt that, but they’re still teenagers... We may be diplomats but our children mean something.” He could just see the annoyance on her face if she’d actually been there. “Adelp-“

“It couldn’t be helped, Justin.”

“And what will you have to say when our girls say the same to us?”

Silence. “I have to go.” Click.

He growled as the Bluetooth dropped the call.

*-*-*-*

“Shit...”

The trio opted to sit outside underneath a tree during their lunch break.

“What is it?” Fluffle signed to Maude as they watched a mildly distracted Chrysalis rummaging through her bag.

“I can’t find my sketch book...” She answered to Maude’s vocalization of Fluffle’s question. “I must’ve left it at home... fuck.” Chrysalis sulked, before shrugging the disappointment away and asking Maude her own question. “So you’re really not going to be there tonight?” She took a bite of an apple.

“No... My sister got her wisdom teeth pulled and I happen to be the oldest.”

“But you’re like one of four aren’t you?”

“Still the oldest, Chrys.”

“Ugh... who am I supposed to hang out with?” She made a face at the message she’d received less than an hour ago. “Apparently my parents are busy and Cadence... well you know.”

All three girls rolled their eyes at the mention of the younger girl.

“I don’t know... Flash Magnus....” Fluffle snickered at the face made in response to Maude’s sharpshooting. “Or I’m sure Shining Armor would like to speak with you about his ‘art project’?”

“Air quotes? Really?”

“I’m only highlighting the absurdity of this farce you two seem to be forcing.” Maude Pie shrugged as she took a sip of her milk.

“It’s not a farce.” Her mind flashed to the other day. “He really is a friend.” The best, really.

“Is that what the people are calling it now?” She grimaced at a brownie and passed it over to a delighted Fluffle Puff.

Chrysalis gave her friend a look.

“All I’m saying is you two looked real cozy at the dance. And everyone noticed.”

Fluffle nodded as she stuffed the whole brownie in her face.

“Fluffle! Chew much? He’s dating my sister...” Chrysalis responded equal parts concerned and disgusted with her friend’s etiquette.

“Who happens to be a bit too artificial for my liking. The way she treats you is beyond trash, by the way.”

“I don’t wanna talk about it.”

Maude rolled her eyes, “you never do.”

“Ready for tonight’s game?” Chrysalis ignored the barb and addressed the fluffy pony person.

Fluffle’s grin was pure mischief.

The halfling went about the rest of her day as normal.

Instead of going home for the day, she decided to grab a caramel frapp from the Starbucks a block over and work on a survey she was creating for her Cultures and Civilizations’ project. The purpose of the survey was to gauge her classmates’ general impressions when it came to the changeling race. It would help with her historical and social breakdown of the people.

After wording and re-wording her ten questions, she pressed ‘print’ and went to grab her papers. With a yawn and stretch, the upper classman seriously debated her next course of action. While she honestly didn’t care to see the “Prancing Broncos,’ she would be liar is she wasn’t interested in seeing Luna destroy the Broncos.

But Luna was also on her shit list as of late. The unviewed messages on her phone spoke volumes.

Normally she adored her fierce cousin, but what Luna wanted her to do was simply too much.

Cadence’s safety was all she cared about and she didn’t doubt Regal’s ability to make good on his threats.

She was over all of it. With her mind made up, Chrysalis packed away her things in her bag and decided to go home. Making her way out of the library she pulled out her cellphone and went to call her dad. Just as her thumb hovered over the ‘call’ icon someone plucked her cellphone away from her.

Ready to froth at the mouth, she turned to a sight that made her knees weak.

Shining Armor stared back at her with dark eyes and a mischievous grin.

“What’re you doing here so late?” He asked holding open his hand, offering her back her phone and the breath he stolen from her lungs.

Against her will, the corner of her lips turned up into a smile. “I’m just working on that project we have in first period.” She took her phone hating how aware she was of the heat from his body.

“I’ve barely started,” he laughed feeling somewhat embarrassed.

Chrysalis rolled her eyes, “you aren’t known for being particularly studious though.”

“Are you going to the game?” He ignored the jab with a shake of his head.

The two naturally fell into step beside the other and before the Halfling knew what had happened. She found herself in the gym settling in a spot in the stands with Shining Armor.

So much for going home, Chrysalis thought.

Just as well, Cadence and Luna may be deterrents but Fluffle was out there. The stands were full and while the two shouted to each other over the crowd, some people definitely shot them looks.

Some of Shining Armor’s friends even stopped by to chat or ask if he wanted to join them. He politely turned them down and tried to include Chrysalis in any passing conversation.

It was unexpected and yet why would she think that he’d do anything less.

She turned her attention to her struggling friend on the court and frowned.

Poor Fluffle was knocked down at the basket after going up for a rebound. At least she was trying.

The two teens whooped and hollered as much as the others around them.

At least Shining Armor did. Chrysalis just gave him looks and laughed at his antics.

Her cheers had a third of his zeal.

Unexpectedly, he leaned over and spoke into her ear. “Can I get your help with something later this week?”

The teen could feel her face heat up as his breath tickled her skin. “Oh?”

“You’re a better painter than me, I was thinking you could help me with the color tones for my entry?”

“Sure, I-”

Suddenly the Baylot side of the gym broke out into boos, and groans. The two tuned back into the game just in time to see Canterlot’s star player make a play.

Chrysalis reacted before she could stop herself, shooting to her feet. “Go Lulu! Looking good!”

“Are you cheering for #02?” Shining Armor’s eyes followed her as she sank back down.

“Pfft. Of course!”

“But she’s on the other team!”

“I used to be on her team...”

“But you don’t go to that school anymore... Where’s your sense of loyalty? What about Fluffle?”

“I’m loyal to those who are loyal to me,” Chrysalis shrugged. “I’ll cheer for Fluffle when she does something cheer worthy.” The two watched Fluffle try to defend against a shooter.

“She’s literally getting dunked on!”

“Hang in there Fluffle! Don’t be intimidated!” She called out before giving him a look as if to say ‘happy.’ “Luna’s always had my back. She’s family.” The words slipped without her even realizing.

Shining Armor was ready to make a retort when her words clicked. “Luna... You’re a member of the Alicorn family?!” His expression was almost comical.

“Not so loud!” She winced, mentally chastising herself. “People might get the wrong idea about me...”

“How? That’s amazing!”

“Only a peasant would say that.” She sat straighter.

“A peasant?!” Shining Armor balked.

She smirked at him before turning back to watch the game.

“Did you just call me a peasant? I’ll have you know that my family is well respected in this community.” He nudged her playfully.

“Spoken like a true classist.” She rose a brow at the play executed, “Oh shit! Luna! Luna! Luna!”

“Damn...” Shining Armor concurred tuning back into the game just in time.

A medic had run onto the floor as the referee blew the whistle. Murmurs and cheers sounded around them as a player was carried off the floor.

“What can I say, the girls in my family got the moves.”

“I think that kid’s ankle is actually broken.” The game continued. “So what’s your excuse?”

Chrysalis opened her mouth to hit him with a comeback when the face of her nightmare appeared.

“Silence? That’s new. Chrysalis... Chrys...”

She could hear her heart pounding in her ears as the world beside her faded away. Her breaths became shallower as her ability to pull air into her lungs diminished. Was she dying, she thought as she gripped something close to her. The pain in her chest suggested that maybe she was.

Images of his cruel face flooded her vision and the Halfling fell down into her seat.

“Chrysalis!” Shining Armor shook her hard as he was overcome with concern. “Hey...” He tried to coax her back as he roughly cradled her face. “Chryssie...?”

Her vision slowly focused as tears filled her eyes. “I have to go,” she managed despite the fear that ripped around inside of her.

“But-“ She was up and gone before he could finish his thought.

Chrysalis blindly pushed through the stands needing to get as far away from the game as possible.

What the fuck was he doing here? Her mind choked as she burst through the double doors into the sparsely occupied concessions lobby. Tripping along the wall to a corner, most people didn’t pay the distressed teen any mind.

Bracing herself against a wall, Chrysalis tried to focus on breathing. It felt as if the world was caving in on her chest and everything was spiraling out of control. But then there were hands on her arms, forcing her around.

Her world faded to black.

Author's Note:

A/N: Hope you guys are all well!

An update for ya! Work has been kickin' my ass. I know what I have to write for this but finding the time is hard. So bear with me as this story begins to approach its final stretch. Hope you've enjoyed so far! As always, I love hearing your thoughts and opinions!