• Published 26th Feb 2020
  • 1,100 Views, 98 Comments

Jumper - lollipopchica



Chrysalis never thought anything could come between her and her sister. But when threats, secrets, politics and romance threaten her reality, will she ever be able to look at ponykind the same way again?

  • ...
7
 98
 1,100

Chapter 3

“You ready for school?” Justinian leaned against the doorframe of his eldest daughter’s bedroom with his arms folded across his chest.

Chrysalis sat on her bed with her back to her father as she went about lacing up her boots. Dressed in sheer dark tights, a short strappy black dress, and a black beret, the teen thought she’d try something new for her new school. Her teal jacket lay right beside her.

“About as ready as I’ll ever be,” she sighed quietly.

If Justinian was concerned he didn’t say anything about the style change.

She could feel his green eyes burning into her back. It was hard to tell what he was feeling as he was really good at concealing his emotions now that he knew she could sense them.

“Chryssie,” He started, “If… you ever want to talk about anything… Anything at all, you know I’m here for you right?”

She felt tears prick her eyes. She looked over her shoulder and smiled. “I know.”

His smile was warm.

Cadence stared at her reflection in the mirror and sighed.

Dressed in a white skirt, a forming fitting pink sweater and matching lace up ballet flats, the teen supposed she was ready for the day. She was busy styling her hair when her sister peaked into her bedroom.

“Dad said we’re leaving in 20…” Cadence made a face as she caught the other’s gaze in the mirror. Even her voice sounded different now.

“You look nice,” Chrysalis smiled unsurely.

“And you look weird,” Cadence muttered still not used to seeing her sister look less pony person.

“Whatever.” Chrysalis frowned and immediately took her leave.

For a second Cadence felt bad, but then she shook her regret away as she thought about her situation.

New house, new school, new city- all because her sister was embarrassed that she fooled around with half of her class.

She still couldn’t believe that her parents had bought into that crockpot story.

After finishing her hair, the teen grabbed her backpack and her phone.

Shooting off a quick text to her friends back in Canterlot, she made her way downstairs to have a quick breakfast with her dad and ‘sister.’

“When is Mom coming back?” She asked as she plopped down to a bowl of cold cereal.

“Next month.” Justinian said as he fiddled around with the coffee maker. Chrysalis took pity on her dad and shooed him away to set up the pot. “She’s training up an assistant so she can spend more time with us without worrying about the commute.”

“I wish it wouldn’t take so long,” Chrysalis sighed.

“And whose fault is that…” Cadence mumbled.

“If you have something to say, ‘Princess,’ please speak louder.” Cat like eyes glared down at the younger girl.

“You already know how I feel about you,” Cadence replied coolly as she sipped on her orange juice.

Justinian groaned. “Knock it off, you two, or you’re both grounded until you graduate.”

Both girls glared at the other, huffing at their situation.

She’s such a cunt, Chrysalis thought angrily.

She’s such a bitch, Cadence rolled her eyes.

Breakfast continued on tensely.

“Don’t forget to change,” Justinian reminded the older girl once it was time to go.

Chrysalis flushed and concentrated of shifting her form to what she used to look like.

Cadence hurried to the family car, not wanting to watch.

“You know, you could try being a little bit more supportive.” Justinian said as he slid into the front seat with his coffee and briefcase.

“Dad…” Cadence whined.

“I’m serious. I don’t know what happened at that party, but your sister is going through a rough patch right now. She needs your love.”

“Is that the reason you had me? To cater to Chrysalis?” Cadence turned and stared defiantly out the window.

“Of course not,” Justinian sighed. He loved his daughters but why couldn’t they have had a son somewhere. “We love you both. You two are just different. And your mother and I have never doubted your strength to bear it, Cadenza.”

The younger girl softened at his words and confidence. “I’m sorry, Daddy. I guess I’m just nervous about the results of my tryouts today.”

Justinian nodded. “I’m sure you did amazing. You always do,” came his sincere reply.

Moments later Chrysalis joined them in the mid-sized SUV.

The drive to school was quiet, but at least there was no animosity.

*****

Justinian left as soon as he dropped the girls off.

The two looked at each other, stuck up their noses and went their separate ways.

So far Cadence didn’t have much to say about her new school.

Looking at her schedule, she wasn’t too worried about any of the classes listed:

English 2
Fashion
Nutrition
Lunch
Phys Ed
Prench
Pre-calc

Back at Canterlot Academy she and her sister were both honor roll students. The only thing that truly made her anxious were the results to her dance tryouts. While most of the other girls had been okay, they had the advantage of knowing each other while she was an outsider.

Groaning in annoyance as she failed miserably at trying to find her class, she reached out for the nearest person passing her in the hall.

“Hey, excuse me!” She tugged on the shirt of a fuchsia skinned girl, who had long indigo hair styled with bangs and magenta streaks.

“Can I help you?” The girl asked with a raised brow. She almost seemed impatient.

Cadence smiled shyly. “Actually I was wondering if you could tell me where Ms. Minerva Starr’s class is?” She tried to hide her embarrassment.

“Sure thing!” The other girl chirped as her face broke out into a friendly smile. “You’re actually not that far off. I’ll show you the way, just follow me.”

“Thanks! I have no idea where I’m going.”

“You must be new.” She stated matter of factly. “I’m Twilight Sparkle.”

“I’m Cadence, thanks a lot, Twilight, I really appreciate it.” The taller girl fell into step with the preppy dressed girl. She looked young.

“No problem. So where are you from?”

“Canterlot.”

“Oh nice! My family’s originally from there too!”

“Oh wow, small world.”

The two made small talk until they arrived at the room. Cadence found her newest acquaintance to be very bookish and self-assured. “Well here you are!” Twilight motioned to the classroom with a casual wave of her hand. “If you need help later just wait here after your class, I can show you to your next one too. I have class in the room over.”

“Thanks again Twilight!”

“Don’t mention it! See you around, Cadence!”

Cadence managed to duck inside the classroom just before the bell rang. Grabbing the first available seat she came across, she wasn’t too surprised when five minutes into the lesson’s introduction the teacher called everyone to attention and asked her to come up.

“Tell us where you’re from, what you hope to be and if you have any family.”

Cadence stared out into a sea of bored students and rolled her eyes.

This wouldn’t be happening if my sister wasn’t a slut, she mentally groaned.

Forcing a smile she rambled off things about herself.

“My name is Cadenza Mi Amore but my friends call me Cadence. I’m a sophomore from Canerlot Academy with hopes of becoming a professional dancer.”

Some people gave her passing attention while most just seemed absorbed in their own thoughts.

At my old school I was captain of the dance team and people actually listened when I spoke, she mentally griped.

Suddenly all eyes were on her.

“Cadenza, did you hear me?”

She flushed, “Sorry.”

“I asked if you had any family here?”

“Yea… I live here with my dad. My mom’s still in Canterlot because of her work.

“Any siblings?”

She opened her mouth to speak, but paused. Sisters didn’t stab each other in the back. “I’m an only child.” She said as she stood taller.

“Thank you for sharing!” The teacher beamed. “Oh! I didn’t see you there.”

Cadence turned to see Chrysalis standing in the doorway. Her features seemed cast in a mix of disbelief and resentment.

“Miss!” The teacher prompted. “Are you coming in?” Students began to whisper as they took in this other new student.

“No… I was looking for Culture and Civilizations,” the older girl managed to stutter out.

“Oh! No problem…”

Cadence tuned out as shame settled over her. She may not think much of her sister right now, but was what she’d done appropriate too?