• Published 26th Feb 2020
  • 1,100 Views, 98 Comments

Jumper - lollipopchica



Chrysalis never thought anything could come between her and her sister. But when threats, secrets, politics and romance threaten her reality, will she ever be able to look at ponykind the same way again?

  • ...
7
 98
 1,100

Chapter 33

Cadence had been forced to stay in her bedroom all day.

The sound of her family downstairs having a good time felt like a stab in the back.

Everyone seemed to be getting along swimmingly. Even her parents were faking civility after whatever she’d seen that morning.

Chrysalis was the problem child, but everyone was treating her as if she were the problem. No one had even come to check on her.

Turning over angrily in her bed, Cadence glared at her computer as she thought back on her outburst from earlier. She was still reeling from the conversation she’d had on her walk with her now ‘ex-boyfriend.’

“You’re nice and I care about you, but there’s something else happening here,” Shining Armor had said, “and it wouldn’t be right to continue seeing you when my heart isn’t in it anymore.”

The words had been so shocking she forgot about the chill in the air from how maybe she didn’t layer well enough.

“Is this out of some misguided view of ‘respect for me?’” Shining Armor had broken up with her out of ‘chivalry.’ She still couldn’t believe it.

The confession had hurt and when he refused to say her sister’s name even though they both knew that’s what this was really about, her pain turned into rage.

“You could at least tell me who it is. Something? Not someone?”

“Cadence....”

“Where’s your sense of honor now?” She demanded with tears in her eyes. She knew she should probably calm down, but how could she? This was like a bad episode of The Jerry Polvich Show. “Did you cheat on me with her?”

“No,” Shining Armor had groaned. “I wouldn’t do anything like that. She doesn’t even know about my feelings, let alone this conversation.”

“I’m really supposed to believe that?”

“Yes. I’ve never lied to you.” The ‘unlike you,’ felt implied.

Cadence bristled at the jab even if it wasn’t his intention. Instead, she squared her jaw and really looked at the boy she thought cared about her. ”What did she do to make you blind to who she really is?”

“She didn’t do anything! She’s always been herself, which is more than I can say for you at this point. What’s going on with you?”

“Like you care.”

Her heart was bleeding as she lay in her bed glaring at anything her eyes fell on.

Cadence would make him understand that Chrysalis was the biggest liar of them all.

*-*-*-*

Chrysalis was sad to see her cousins go.

It really had been a great overnight, even if the hangover she pretended not to have sucked.

No more alcohol or facebook for a while. She cringed hoping she hadn’t done something she’d regret.

“Thanks for an awesome day,” She smiled instead as she hugged them both tightly.

“Don’t mention it!” Celestia grinned.

“Think about what we said too,” Luna reminded as she got in the car.

Chrysalis nodded.

The duo had already said their goodbyes to the other members of the family, promising to hang out with Cadence next time the family came to Canterlot.

Watching until they drove away, Chrysalis headed back inside and was about to go to her room. Her mother intercepted her at the bottom of the stairs.

“Chryssie,” Adelpha smiled, “you wanna go for a walk with me? I wanted to talk to you.”

If the younger girl was surprised with the attention, she didn’t show it. “Sure.”

The two grabbed their jackets, and scarves before heading outside.

Adelpha spoke about the Badlands and what kind of place it was.

Chrysalis asked about her work.

“Let’s not talk about that,” her mother had laughed. “Your Dad has said plenty about the subject.”

“He just misses you. We all do.”

Instead Adelpha asked her about school, her new friends and if anything had improved.

“It’s nothing I can’t handle,” Chrysalis had said nonchalantly.

After they’d walked a block or two of the neighborhood, they headed back home. Once inside, Adelpha had embraced her daughter with a smile.

She watched her eldest walk up the stairs and disappear into her room.

Her smile faltered as her vision became distorted with tears.

She turned to see her husband standing silently behind her staring down at her with enquiring eyes.

“I asked her if she thought I valued her more than my work...”

Justinian sighed as they naturally fell into the other’s arms. “What’d she say?” He asked as he rested his head atop hers.

“She lied.”

“I know you do, Mom.”

*-*-*-*

“What’re you planning?” Celestia asked her sister on the drive home.

She squinted as she adjusted her sun visor.

“What makes you think I’m planning anything, dear sister.” Luna leaned forward, and rummaged around in the glove compartment for a pair of sunglasses.

“I know you,” Celestia rolled her eyes and held her hand out for the shades. “So spill.”

“Last night Sonata Dusk texted me,” Her sister obliged with the glasses and her plans.

“So?”

“She’s another girl from his list.”

“List?!” Celestia was shocked.

“We’re going to expose him,” Luna announced seriously. “Chryssie doesn’t have to do anything she doesn’t want, but that doesn’t mean he’s going to get away with this. Someone has to stop him.”