• Published 26th Feb 2020
  • 1,099 Views, 98 Comments

Jumper - lollipopchica



Chrysalis never thought anything could come between her and her sister. But when threats, secrets, politics and romance threaten her reality, will she ever be able to look at ponykind the same way again?

  • ...
7
 98
 1,099

Chapter 35

After a long day of implementing new schedules and work setups, the other Alicorn family was settling in for the night.

“How’s Cadence doing?” Justinian watched his wife from the comfort of their bed.

The changeling woman continued to brush her hair out at her vanity. Adelpha thought back on the conversation she’d had with her youngest daughter. The initial approach had been difficult as Cadence had been resistant to her inquiries. After a while, her daughter lost the attitude in favor of laying her feelings bare and receiving support from an ear that wouldn’t scold her.

There would’ve been no point with a woman who could sense and eat emotion. Plus, she had really wanted to speak to her mother.

While Cadence had clearly been in teenage turmoil about her breakup, she was mostly embarrassed and full of shock.

Her youngest daughter had really liked that Shining Armor and unfortunately, it just didn’t work out.

“She’s heartbroken, but in time she’ll be fine.”

“Ugh...” Justinian groaned at the idea of all this drama over a boy.

“I can’t say that I blame her for being upset but the way she’s going about it isn’t doing her any favors.” Finishing with her hair, she took a dollop of lotion in her hand and began to rub her skin down with the softly fragranced product. She took a moment before asking her own question. “Do you ever wish you’d have married a pony woman, Justinian?”

“What?!” His eyes snapped to the calm form of his wife.

She seemed unfazed by his sudden movement and the confusion he displayed. “You could’ve married a pony woman and had pony people children with her.” She was sure this issue had everything to do with their racial differences. “Do you ever wonder about that?”

“Adelpha...” He really sat up and studied his partner. “What... Why are you asking me that?”

“It’s just a question, Justin.” She relented with a soft smile as she finally regarded him through the mirror.

“No. I love my wife and I love my children. I couldn’t imagine my life being any other way.” He seemed to believe what he was saying. Adelpha supposed that was enough. She sometimes wondered what her life would’ve been like had she stayed in the Collective. Would she even be a wife? Shrugging the thought away, she turned and gave him a half-hearted glare.

“Since I’m forbidden from working in Canterlot-“

“You’re not forbidden...” He rolled his eyes and flopped backward to stare up at the ceiling. So that’s what this was about.

“You’ll need to go there to square away a case I was working.” She joined him on the bed and rested her head on his chest.

“Adelpha, I wasn’t stopping you from work hundreds of miles away so I could go and work hundreds of miles away.” Slowly he wrapped his arms around her, somewhat amused, but ultimately annoyed at the pettiness she was displaying.

“This is important. And I don’t trust pony people to not undermine the deportation of this person.”

“Deportation?” He blinked as a professional seriousness settled over the two.

“Yes, a pony man almost died. So far the story has been contained but I don’t know how long that’ll last. Even if my attention is needed elsewhere, I’d rather not give any group ammunition to sway the public in something that could have unpleasant and long-lasting effects on my family’s future.”

“Adelpha, I-“ Her work would always be important, he knew that. But this situation, whatever it was, just didn’t sit right.

“Will you go or not?” She knew what he really thought and while he was right to worry about their daughter, she wasn’t quite ready to forgive the other things he’d said. They were united, but she still had in no way forgotten.

He sighed as he squeezed her tightly. “Yes.”

“Good. I think you should take Cadence with you. Perhaps some time away might make her feel less resentful.”

*-*-*-*-*

Cadence was furious.

But she was also tired and sad.

Her breakup still cycled in her mind and she hated it.

She never pretended to be a saint, but she had tried hard to be fair.

Chrysalis had hurt her, and now Shining Armor had hurt her. How was she expected to walk around unfazed while the hilts of her former loved ones stayed encased in her flesh?

“Seriously Cadence?” Twilight gave the older girl a look as she picked her head up from her homework.

The dancer deflated and crumpled down onto her bed, ceasing her monologue.

The bookworm shook her head. This melodrama was as annoying as it was amusing. “My brother may have gone about this all wrong, but he was right about one thing.”

“What’s that?” Cadence lamented completely ignoring her math homework.

“This isn’t you... I know you’re hurt and sad, but this anger... It’s scary.”

“Is it?”

“Yes... I’ve never thought you cruel. But you seem cruel to your sister.”

“You really can’t see why after the other day?”

Twilight winced. Her brother really was making a mess of things. The rumors going around school were enough to make anyone upset.

“And I’m not cruel,” Cadence breathed. “I just want nothing to do with her. How is that cruel?”

“She’s your sister.”

“Nothing turns to hate so bitter as what once was love...” She quoted sagely.

There was a moment of silence before the two fell into a spell of giggles. What a prima donna.

Twilight sobered and a labored air of silence settled over the two. She had been doing a lot of thinking as of late in regards to Chrysalis. There was something raw beneath her surface and it bothered her no one was willing to ask about it. Her perceptive gaze sought Cadence who now sat at her vanity. “Have you ever considered that something might’ve happened to your sister at your old school?” She paused, “what if that’s why she’s been so ‘difficult?’ Why she ran away?”

Cadence turned to stare at the other girl. “No.” The thought never even crossed her mind.

“How would you know?” Twilight insisted.

“Have you met Chrysalis?”

She was silent.

“No one can make her do anything. Not even me.” The girls continued with their respective assignments. Eventually, it was time to take her friend home. Neither girl commented on the closed room door that was Chrysalis’.

After her father supervised her driving Twilight home, Justinian informed his daughter that the two of them would be going to Canterlot the upcoming Thursday.

Not knowing what to make of the news, Cadence simply nodded and focused on driving back to their house. She went to hand him the key to the car. “Put that one in the glove box, I need to get the battery fixed.”

“Okay,” she shrugged doing as he asked.

“It doesn’t have to be this way, ya know,” Justinian had sighed once they’d made it back home. The two stood in the chilly night air as they paused to go inside their home.

“I don’t know how else to be,” Cadence said after a while.

Her father chastised her not unkindly, “we both know that’s not true.”

As the younger girl lay in her bed that night, she had the urge to reach out to someone who understood her position. Everyone just expected her to be this eternal spot of sunshine all the time. It was frustrating because no one really knew what was going on to even consider her side of things.

Meanwhile, Chrysalis could get away with murder it seemed, and no one batted an eye.

In the dark of her bedroom Cadence’s hands found her phone and she let her fingers do as they will.

CandiePrincess93: What’re you doing this weekend?

She hit ‘send’ not expecting much. Was he even up?

RegalKing69: Hoodrat things with my friends. Why? You coming to visit Canterlot?

She rolled her eyes and punched in her response almost defiantly.

CandiePrincess93: As a matter of fact, I am

RegalKing69: Seriously?? We should do something!

She hesitated, but then threw caution to the wind. She didn’t owe anyone anything anymore.

CandiePrincess93: We should

RegalKin69: Are you serious? What about your bf, Shining Virgin?

Her spirit dampened.

CandiePrincess93: Let’s not talk about him.

RegalKing69: Oh... did something happen?

Considerably.

CandiePrincess93: ‘Shining Virgin’ broke up with me...

RegalKing69: Seriously???

CandiePrincess93: How many times are you going to say that? Seriously.

RegalKing69: Shit... I’m sorry to hear that. I’m just shocked, tbh. You always shoot me down, what can I say? Did he say why??

CandiePrincess93: I don’t wanna talk about it.

RegalKing69: Does it involve your sister?

Was he even listening?

CandiePrincess93: I still don’t wanna talk about it

RegalKing69: Wow. That’s kinda low. I could straighten her out for you.

CandiePrincess93: Riiight... Be sure to tell her ‘hi’ for me

RegalKing69: Consider it done. Are you okay?

Cadence bit back a scoff at the asinine question.

CandiePrincess93: No! I’m not okay

RegalKing69: Maybe, I can help you take your mind off things

CandiePrincess93: I don’t know...

RegalKing69: Harry Stiles is doing a show here at Uni this weekend

CandiePrincess93: Harry Stiles???!!!

Now that did grab her attention.

RegalKing69: You can post pics on your snap to make him jell and piss your sister off... Sounds like a win-win to me

CandiePrincess93: I’d have to convince my Dad

RegalKing69: I’m sure you can. A white lie never hurt anyone

Maybe Regal was onto something. Being a ‘good girl’ was getting her nowhere after all.

Author's Note:

A/N: Short update for those still following! I've grown a little frustrated with this story so please bear with me. BUT things are going to get hella juicy soon. I've been sitting on a bunch of stuff trying to fit it all together just right, but I'm probably just going to let it ride and post it.

Recently, I've had some wild developments pop up in my life. So I want to try and finish this while I have the freedom to do so. Hopefully I'll be done by May! If not, expect a big hiatus as I honestly won't have the time.

Cheers,
Lolli C.