• Published 19th Aug 2012
  • 1,203 Views, 11 Comments

The Pax - Haimerej



First story in my Unified Fiction universe. Crossover between MLP and Serenity/Firefly.

  • ...
 11
 1,203

Prologue 1

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic belongs to Lauren Faust, Firefly and Serenity belong to Joss Whedon. This story is only based on their universes, I don’t presume that what I write actually takes place in their canon storylines. Please don’t sue me, I can’t afford any lawyers.

Prologue 1

Twilight huffed with a deep sigh, as the door to the library closed behind her. She relaxed slightly. While she was always glad to lend a hoof to those seeking her expertise, her obligations were thankfully over, as she made a bee-line towards an earmarked book next to a soft inviting chair. There was only one thing she could immediately think of that could interrupt her....

“Ooh! Twilight! Ooh! Twilight come out here. You’ve just GOT to see what’s going on out here.”

Twilight sighed again, this time out of annoyance. This was undoubtedly Pinkie Pie, the only pony who had yet to enlist her help today. “Pinkie, not today, all right?”

“Oh, but it’s gotta be today! It’s gotta be right now! I don’t know how much longer it’s going to last, and you just absolutely, positutely, Pinkie promise you have to see this!”

Twilights ears perked up. As annoyed as she was about not getting some rest and relaxation for a little bit, she was now very interested in what it is her friend would go so far as to Pinkie promise that she had to see. Thus, interest piqued, she walked outside to see her friend hopping up and down excitedly. “What is it?” She asked the pink pony.

“Look, look! It’s a shooting star in the daytime. Isn’t that just weird enough that you just had to see it? Huh? Isn’t it?”

Twilight looked up, and sure enough, she saw the definitive glint of the shooting star and its trail in the sky, despite the fact that the sun was still in it as well. “Oh, wow,” the purple pony said, eyes alight with a certain gleam in them. “This is amazing. The light off of this shooting star is bright enough to offset the light of the sun. I wonder how that could happen.”

“Well, duh, it’s a shooting star in the daytime. Of course it does what you just said.”

“That’s not what I mean, Pinkie. I’m curious as to how this specific phenomenon happened.” She looked thoughtful for a moment, then her face lit up. “I’ve got it! Princess Celestia should be able to tell us what happened. She knows so much.”
Before Pinkie could say anything in reply, Twilight went back into the library and yelled, “Spike! I need you to take a letter to Celestia.”

She heard a mild groan from upstairs then the click-clack of claws on wood floor. A moment after that, Spike appeared at the top of the stairs starting down, quill and parchment in his hands. “What lesson did you learn this week?”

“It’s not a lesson, it’s a question I have for her. I just saw something very interesting.”

Spike stood in front of Twilight and readied the quill and parchment, then looked at her expectantly.

“Dear Princess Celestia, I’ve just been witness to a very intriguing phenomenon, a shooting star--”

“Intri... Intrigu....”

“Interesting.”

“Pheno... Phenam....”

“Happenstance. A shooting star during daylight, and I was wondering if you would happen to know how such a thing could occur. Signed, Twilight--”

“Ooh! Ooh! Twilight! Come out here, the shooting star is getting larger.”

‘--Sparkle,” she finished, her face registering a look of annoyance once more. As she headed back outside, she asked, “Is it really?”

She blinked at the sight before her. Not because the star had gotten larger--though that was indeed true as well--but in the half a minute she was in the library, a crowd had gathered outside, and it looked like at least half of ponyville was on that block, watching the shooting star.

She looked up at the shooting star, wondering how it could have gotten larger. On impulse, she turned back to the door and yelled, “Spike!” but by the time she turned around, he was standing in the doorway, the item she was about to ask for in his hands. “Oh. Thanks.” She took hold of the binoculars with her magic and stared through them at her object of interest.

“Ooh, Spike O’Reilly, that’s a good one,” Pinkie Pie says, glancing at them for a moment, then turning back to the scene in the sky.

Classifying that comment as Pinkie being Pinke, Twilight finished focusing on the shooting star and lets out a dramatic gasp that Pinkie would be proud of.

Hey!

Sorry. She let out a dramatic gasp that Pinkie would almost be proud of.

Better.

Twilight couldn’t tell what exactly it was she was seeing, but considering the distance the binoculars were focused to, it had to be huge. It was large and obviously made of some kind of metal, and it looked like it followed some kind of design--she certainly hadn’t seen anything natural that looked like that, and it seemed to be wreathed in flames, creating the glow they were seeing.

But the most important thing about what she was looking at, she immediately spoke aloud. “It’s going to hit near here.”

A murmur ran through the crowd at that. After a moment, Spike made a sound, and green flames came out of his mouth, preceding a rolled-up and tied scroll. Giving the binoculars to Spike, Twilight took the scroll and carefully unties and unrolls it, and proceeds to read it.

My dearest and most faithful student, Twilight Sparkle.

That is no star. Though from what me and my sister can tell, it is a craft made with the purpose of traveling among them. It will land fairly soon near the lake. Try to calm everypony there and don’t let them panic about this.

Most importantly, though, it is of grave importance that you don’t let anypony but yourself and your close friends near the craft until I can arrive. I will, unfortunately, be held up by some paperwork momentarily, but I will be there as soon as I can.

Your mentor and ruler, Princess Celestia.

Twilight looked up from the scroll, even more confused now. An item to aid in travel among the stars? How would something like that work? Nevertheless, the perplexed pony decided to put her mentors words into action, and prepared the entire town of Ponyville for the crash, ensuring everypony that it wouldn’t be close enough to town to harm anypony.

When it finally did crash, it seemed, to her at least, to be anti-climactic. It dropped through the air and landed with a big, solid thump, but hardly much more than that. The look on her face when bipedal, ape-like creatures came out of it was absolutely priceless, though.

Comments ( 11 )

1115680

You know, I don't mind in the least if people go "First!". What I do mind is if people go "First!" and then don't say anything else. Really, it's pretty rude.

Ok, one thing I noticed was the letter Twilight sent to Celestia. She saw a shooting star and her message basically said "Hey, I saw a thing, do you know what it is?" if someone sent me that as a text message I'd slap them upside the head. It wouldn't take that much longer to have her mention what the hell she's talking about would it?

Second, I'm not sure how I feel about Pinkie being able to interrupt the narration, I avoid things with the comedy tag for that reason. I guess maybe that's what the random tag does? In any case, not an actual criticism of the work, I just don't get it.

Third, right before Pinkie interrupts the narrator you switch into present tense for a moment, change finishes to finished and you should be good. You do it again here (Twilight takes the scroll) change it to took plz.

Oh, I almost forgot. You're putting together two of the things I like most on this earth, Firefly and My Little Pony. Do it justice, please.

1115846

Thank you very much for the tense issue, I find it to be a major issue with my writing that I have trouble remembering what tense it's supposed to be in occasionally. I will edit it now.

:facehoof: I'll edit some more info into her letter, I can't believe I didn't notice that while writing it.

Suffice it to say, Pinkie's 4th wall powers are actually relevant in this story, so please bear with me on them.

firefly and mlp crossover, interesting

Good start. Although the end of the chapter seems a bit sudden, but otherwise, this looks like it could go very well. :yay:

1115773 I'm really sorry but I simply didn't have time to write anything else anyway keep up with the good work:pinkiehappy:

1116962
Thank you. The sight of Nathan Fillion (Hmm Fillyon?) trying to ride that bike has actually helped motivate me to get started on Chapter 1.

1116999

Awesome can't wait!:pinkiehappy: i got a kick out of it too it really made laugh:rainbowlaugh:

it's too bad this story is dead

Login or register to comment