• Published 18th Aug 2019
  • 1,188 Views, 8 Comments

Sitting By the Fire - MorbidTheBrony

  • ...
3
 8
 1,188

Sitting By the Fire

You open the door into the house you've been in about hundreds of times now. You place the key back into your pocket and you step inside.

The atmosphere of the house was, while something you've grown very used to, very calm and relaxing. You feel at peace everytime you go inside.

You walk through the hallway and head into the living room. It was a fairly big room. There was a TV sitting in the corner, a book shelf against the wall, sofas and chairs, a fire, and right in front of that fire was a rocking chair. And in that rocking chair... is the very reason you are here now. Sunset Shimmer.

"You're here so soon?" she asked you, not looking away from the going fire. "I wasn't expecting you for another hour yet."

Sunset was an old woman. She had a dull shade to her orange skin and grey hairs mixed with red and yellow. Her eyes, however, were still as teal as ever.

"I couldn't keep away. I love the times we spend together," you reply, taking a seat in the chair beside her.

You and Sunset have been friends for a few years now. After being given the chance to take care of an elderly, you, luckily, were given Sunset.

She threw a hand your way, chuckling. "Ack. You just want to impress me, I know it."

You both share a laugh. Sunset, despite her fairly old age, was a very humorous woman and knew her way of a good joke.

"So, do you want me to make you a cup of tea or anything?" you ask her, getting ready to stand up.

She slowly shook her head. "No, thank you. I'm quite fine for now."

"Oh. Alright then." You take your place right back into the chair.

Usually this is the time where Sunset came out with a story of some kind. She always had some stories to tell. They'd always be about either her friends, their old band or any magical adventures they all had.

You clear your throat to get her attention. "Is everything okay, Miss Shimmer?"

She looks at you, breaking free from a trance. "Hmm? Oh. Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just making sure I've taken it all in."

You think that was a very strange response. "I'm sorry, 'taking it all in'? I don't understand."

She sighed. "Do... you know what the hardest points in life are? For me at least?"

You shrug your shoulders unknowingly. The mood is never this down.

"It's when you have to say goodbye to your friends. I've had to say goodbye to three of my best friends already." She looked on top of the fireplace. "Could you grab that photo for me, please?"

You comply and hand her the photo. It was a photo of her and her friends. You look to Sunset and see her smiling sadly while she's looking at all of their faces.

"I miss those days," she said quietly. "The amount of crazy and stupid stuff we'd do everyday. It was the best."

She points a finger to the pink girl on the picture. "Pinkie Pie. Oh, was she the queen of parties. My top five favourite parties I've been to, all of them Pinkie threw. That girl knew how to make everyone laugh." Her smile then faded. "Unfortunately, she was the first of the seven of us to go. Which was only a few years ago, so no one's that far off."

Her finger then slid over to the white girl with shiny, purple hair. "Rarity. Did she have an eye for fashion better than anybody. She was pretty prone to having breakdowns, I must say. But we were there to help her overcome them. Other than that, there ain't no one more generous than she was. She joined Pinkie just a few months later."

Then, her finger pointed to the sky blue girl with rainbow hair. "Rainbow Dash. The girl who made our band, was incredibly athletic and very loyal. Though, she tended to have quite the ego at points. She was next just over a year later."

"I'm so sorry," which was all you could say.

Sunset laughed a little. "Don't be. All three of them had lived their lives to the fullest, and from what I know, they didn't just go up and 'die'."

You raise an eyebrow at her. You wondered, how could someone leave without actually dying?

"Sometimes I wonder which one of us is going to live the longest," she said with a calm smile, resting her head right up against the pillow on her chair. "I personally have my bets on Applejack, because, even though Rainbow was the most athletic, Applejack was the healthiest and the strongest out of all seven of us."

"What? You don't think it'll be you?" you asked, pointing at her younger self.

Sunset shook her head. "No, I'm actually going to be next."

Your heart sank after that. "What? Next? Wh-What do you mean next?" You felt like you already knew what she meant, but asked anyway.

"I've... not got a lot of time left in this world, now." She sighed and began rocking her chair back and forth. "Oh well, I've prepared myself for it anyway. I've done pretty much everything I've wanted to do in life, so that's something. All except one thing." She then looked towards you with a hopeful look.

"What is it?" You sat forward, ready to hear what she's about to ask of you.

Sunset proceeded to unclip the bangle that was around her wrist. She looked at it carefully before handing it to you. "I want you to have this. One of the seven geodes that connected me and my friends with one another. They allowed us to harness the powers we had, but we all saw them as a true sign of how we were destined to all be together.

"I want you to take it so there's always a part of me still with you. And with everything I've ever taught you, I want you to take that as well and let our legacy live on forever. Tell our stories to the world. Spread the magic of friendship. And when I die, I want you to know that I'm not really gone, because you still remember and care for me. I'll live on forever, in here." She pointed a finger onto your chest where your heart is.

Sunset placed the geode into your hand and wrapped your fingers around it, but she held onto your hand.

Her body then began glowing golden.

"Miss Shimmer...?" No other words to come out of you now. It looked like this was finally it.

"Remember..." Her voice now sounded as though it was echoing. She still held onto her great smile as her body glew brighter. "Friendship... is... magic."

And as soon as she finished those words, her grip on your hand disappeared. All that was left was a cloud of sparkles slowly falling onto her chair.

"Sunset...?" you asked.


Sunset opened her eyes to find that she was no longer in her house. In fact, she was somewhere she didn't even recognise.

She tried looking around and she realised that she felt stronger than she had in decades. She looked down at herself and saw that she was young again. She was back in the body she had when she was in high school.

Back with the strength she use to have, Sunst stood up and looked all around. She was in some sort of... paradise. The grass was green, soft and warm. The flowers all around were colourful. And the sunset over the horizon... beautiful and orange. She felt as though she could look at it for hours.

"SUNSET!!" Someone shouted her name.

Sunset turned around to see where the voice was coming from, and her heart skipped a beat when she saw who it was.

Dashing her way, while also being back in her teenage body, was Pinkie Pie. Pinkie squeezed Sunset into the biggest hug she has probably ever given.

"You're here! You're here! You're finally here!" she cheered.

"Pinkie Pie...?" Sunset asked. She looked over to where Pinkie had come from and saw two more figures coming over the hill.

"Hey Sunset!" Rainbow Dash called out. "Glad you could finally join us!"

"Rainbow Dash...? Rarity...?" she asked again when they both came over.

"It's us, Sunset. We're here too," Rarity told her calmly.

Sunset could barely keep herself calm anymore. "I-I... I can't believe it!" She began crying tears of joy as she pulled in everyone for a giant hug. "Y-You're all here!"

Pinkie then began crying tears of joy right after Sunset as she hugged her again as tightly.

Rarity and Rainbow Dash, even though they didn't begin crying, returned the hug too. They all held eachother in the embrace for what felt like an eternity.

They all got to live on in the paradise. Soon enough, the other three girls, Twilight Sparkle, Fluttershy and Applejack joined them too. With each of their destinies fulfilled, they lived on forever with eachother.

All seven of the girls were looking at the sunset, they were all happy to be with eachother again. This was a heaven for them, to live in happiness for everything they have done for the world.

And as they looked, Sunset knew, as long as you keep all of their legacies going, they could live forever.

No matter if you're an element of loyalty, laughter, generosity, kindness, honesty, magic or even empathy. A piece of that magic lives within every single person in the world. Sunset was happy that she could learn that magic in the first place, even after everything she had done in the past. She's glad she was given the chance to see it, and now, she wants you to see it too.

That magic... is friendship.

Author's Note:

After hearing that Equestria Girls was also very close to finishing, I figured I should write my interpretation of a grand finale.

I'll still write stories. But I'd like to give a send off while it's still only alive.

Comments ( 8 )

It's only over when we say it is. And I say we shouldn't stop anytime soon.

It ain't over 'til Twilight Velvet sings!

MLP: FiM and EG will never end, so long as we keep it alive.

Reunited in Heaven. :heart:

Damn it, who's cutting onions?:fluttercry:
But seriously, this was just beautiful :heart:

Login or register to comment