• Published 14th Mar 2019
  • 10,780 Views, 2,237 Comments

A Phoenix Beyond the Veil - The Philospher's Stone - gerandakis



Displeased with her mentor, Sunset Shimmer looks for a new option, she finds it in a Mirror Portal, deep in the vaults of Canterlot. Together with Philomena, she sets out on a journey. Two worlds of magic will be changed forever, by a small error ...

  • ...
57
 2,237
 10,780

PreviousChapters Next
[RVS]15 - Seeing Red

Chapter Fifteen

Seeing Red


As the morning sun peeked through the window, Sunset woke up to the now familiar sensation of being cuddled up to Hermione, both of them in their natural forms. Though Sunset's was significantly more furry.

The Grangers had made the interesting observation that she didn't shed. Sunset, meanwhile, had been rather confused that they had expected her to. In modern days, almost every pony had a permanent, selective vanishing charm on them to automatically vanish hairs and skin cells the moment they were shed. It really cut down on the cleaning.

Cracking her eyes open and blinking a few times until the sun stopped blinding her, she looked around, seeing flowing brown and blue hair. That Hermione's new hair and eye colors had persisted into her human form had been quite the surprise when they returned. Learning that Hermione had always found her combination of brown hair and brown eyes to be extraordinarily bland and was entirely okay with the changes had been a relief.

That she was curled up in her sister's arms was nothing new. Somehow they always ended up like this by the time they woke up in the morning. And she had gone to bed in human form. One room over.

Humans knew of sleep walking, of course, but with their reliance on wands, Sunset was fairly certain that even the local wizards and witches hadn't heard of sleep casting. Being as skilled as she was only exacerbated the issue. Sleep walking and sleep casting were one thing, sleep teleporting and, more recently, sleep shape shifting were another.


Emma wasn't entirely surprised to find that Sunset had, once again, found her way into Hermione's room, curled up beside the girl like a cat. Hermione's new look had been a surprise for her and Dan. Hermione announcing that she would be learning to transform into a pony as well had added to that. Philomena being able to travel between dimensions had actually been easier to believe.

With a content sigh, she made her way down the stairs. Had someone told her that Sunset's presence would turn her into an early riser when the girl first arrived, she would have happily declared them clinically insane. Yet here she was. Up only a few minutes after Sunrise at the height of summer. It wasn't even six o' clock.

Arriving in the kitchen, she heard a clicking on the window. Turning, she saw an owl perched on the widow sill, pecking at the glass. That would be another thing to get used to, she supposed. Walking over the window she unlocked it and watched the owl fly in, perching itself on the back of one of the kitchen chairs.

Mentally thanking Philomena for giving her ample opportunity to get used to having large birds of prey in her kitchen, Emma approached the bird, prompting it to dutifully hold out a leg. A tug on the right string undid the knot and freed the scroll tied to the bird's leg. Seeing the bird sit there, waiting for her answer, she guessed, she looked at the scroll more closely.

It was sealed with bright red wax, stamped with a coat of arms of a bejeweled ring surrounding a set of scales holding coins in one dish and gems in the other, framed on the top and bottom by a dagger and a sword. She made the connection in moments. Gringotts.

She was right. It was the payment offer from the appraiser. Her eyes nearly jumped from their sockets when she saw the sums listed on it. The appraiser hadn't been kidding when he had called the gems they had yet to sell 'substantially more valuable'.

Every single stone was listed to be somewhere between one-hundred and one-hundred-and-fifty carats and of flawless quality. They only substantially varied in two categories, the type of stone and a category listed as 'thaumic conductivity rating'. Those, and value of course.

The five listed with a rating between E-Minus and E-Plus were priced somewhere between five and six-hundred galleons each. The three with a rating between D-Minus and D-Plus were priced just shy of one thousand galleons each. The seven gems rated between C-Minus and C-Plus were priced at around three-thousand galleons each. The four between B-Minus and B-Plus were listed for about five to six-thousand galleons each.

The two gems listed as A-Minus were priced at around ten-thousand galleons each. The two at A were listed for about twenty thousand galleons each.

Finally, all the way at the bottom of the list was a single gem listed with: 170 ct. / Flawless / A+ - 39,084 g.

Having been informed of the approximate value of a galleon by the muggleborn introduction booklet, Emma was utterly stunned by the sums she was seeing. The total sell price of the gems was listed as '148,612 g, 15 s, 23 k'. She turned to the owl. "Wait here. I'll be right back." The owl nodded dutifully.

Idly wondering when she had started talking to birds, Emma hurried up the stairs to wake Dan, Hermione and Sunset.


Five minutes later Sunset an Emma were mildly amused, sitting at the kitchen table, the owl from Gringotts on Sunset's left shoulder and Philomena on her right, as they watched a groggy Hermione and Dan stumble down the stairs, yawning all the way.

They got a lot more awake the moment they saw the letter.

"What?!" Dan managed to sputter.

"That was about my reaction as well," Emma pointed out in mild bemusement. She still managed to be surprised by all the things that had started happening since Sunset had arrived, but her recovery time had gotten much better. "It would seem Equestrian gemstones are pretty valuable here."

"You don't seem surprised, sis." Hermione pointed out.

"I'm not. I learned the value of gemstones pretty quickly after I arrived here. Not actually sure why they're so common in Equestria. Maybe the stronger ambient magic helps them grow faster?"

"Where did you even get those?" Dan just about managed.

"I dug them up myself."

"And where did you get them cut?"

"I didn't. That's how they naturally occur in Equestria. I didn't even know cut was a factor in pricing until I came to this world."

"Your world is weird."

"So is yours."

"Touche."

"So I take it you're all okay with that then?"

"Sure, but once you're of age we'll add you as an account owner to the vault."

"Seems fair."

Another minute later the owl was on its way with the necessary signatures and the Grangers were left to recover from their morning shock. Emma and Sunset busied themselves with making breakfast.


In a burst of flames, Sunset, Hermione and Philomena appeared in the small, warded alleyway near the Leaky Cauldron. It was now nine in the morning and they were ready to visit Flourish and Blot's. With a stroke over her feathers, Sunset once more disguised her familiar. She didn't need words to tell Philomena that she appreciated her help.

After passing through the pub, Hermione drew her wand and tapped it against the correct brick, causing the archway to open up for them. After a short walk they reached the wizarding book store. Flourish and Blot's was every book worm's dream. The shelves were filled with books of all manner of materials and on all topics imaginable.

The two split up and went to look into different sections of the store. Both ignored the section on fiction. Not a type of book either of them disliked per say, but not what they were here for. Determined to do more research, Hermione looked through a section on recent magical history, while Sunset looked for reference material on Earth's magic, particularly on the featherweight charm.

It didn't take either of them long to find something. When they met back up half an hour later, Hermione held a copy each of Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts and Great Wizarding Events of the Twentieth Century as well as a copy of Hogwarts – A History Sunset in turn held a copy each of A Comprehensive Guide on Utility Charms and Magical Theory 1.

《You got what you were looking for, sis?》Sunset asked.

《I do. Both of these have a section on Harry and what happened in that night, all the common theories, the lot. What about you?》

《Me too. This one has something about many utility charms, including the featherweight charm. And this one is on more general magical theory. With that I should be able to do some nice comparative research.》

"My aren't you two a bit young to be out on your own? Don't you have any supervision?"

They turned around to see a plump woman with bright red hair (at least by human standards) holding a young girl, maybe a year younger than them, by the hand and vigilantly looking over the rest of the store. The girl's hair was just as red as hers.

"Oh no need to worry, ma'am. We're well behaved." Hermione assured her.

"I'm sure you are," the woman answered, "but Diagon Alley isn't a place for children your age to be going alone, you never know who might come after you."

"Oh, don't worry about us," Sunset assured her. "We can take care of ourselves." Without turning she poked a finger over the shoulder that didn't hold Philomena, tapping it on the hand of a red headed boy maybe two years older than they were. The moment her finger touched his hand teal lightning erupted from it, arcing up his arm and giving him a nasty shock. "See?"

She turned to look at the boy more closely, his hair stood on end, smoking slightly and he wore a goofy grin. An identical boy with hair that didn't smoke, looked at him and broke out in hysterical laughter. "She got you good, brother dear."

"That she did." The first boy shook his head, causing his hair to fall back into shape, though it was still smoking a little. "How did you know?"

"Never hurts to be prepared." Sunset stroked a finger over the feathers of the disguised Phoenix on her shoulder. "Compared to the prank wars I've had with Philomena here when we were younger that was strictly amateur hour. Nice job on the comedic timing, though. Would have been hilarious if it would have worked." She took his hand and shook it. "Sunset Shimmer, by the way."

The boy shook her hand back and chuckled. "Oh I like you. Fred Weasley."

"No you're not. You're George. I'm Fred."

"I am? Right, I am. Sorry, George Weasley, my mistake. This is Fred." He unnecessarily pointed at his twin, then at the woman and girl on Sunset's other side. "Those are our mum and our little sister Ginny. Ron and Percy should be around here somewhere as well."

"Hold on," Sunset chuckled. "I'm sensing a trend here. Which one of them is older?"

"Percy, why?"

Sunset held out a finger and let it pulse with teal light, then she pointed at a book shelf to their side. "Ron is back there. That's the sports section, if I recall correctly."

"Figures he'd be there," the girl giggled.

"And Percy is a floor up. In the law section if I'm not mistaken." 《You wanna introduce yourself, sis?》

《Oh right,》Hermione shook Fred's hand. "Hermione Granger, a pleasure."

Clearing her throat, Mrs. Weasley brought the conversation back from it's meandering trajectory. "Are you two here to get your Hogwarts books?"

"We got those yesterday," Hermione explained, "but my father went with Hagrid to get them, while we were at Ollivander's to save time, and we didn't get to look around here, so we came back today."

"You know Hagrid?" Mrs. Weasley seemed pleased, the twins, Sunset noted, were also intrigued.

"We met up with him yesterday, when Professor McGonnagall showed us through the alley."

"I see, so you're just browsing?"

"That and getting some background literature." She held up her three books while Sunset held up hers.

"We're here to get a second set of third grade books for the twins." She sighed. "Well actually we already have them, we only need to fetch the rest of the boys."

Sunset turned to Hermione with a smirk. 《Shall we?》

Hermione shrugged. 《Sure. Why not?》She held out a finger lighting it with pale green magic.

Sunset smirked at Mrs. Weasley. "Allow us." She lit up her index fingers on both hands in teal magic holding one up in the air and letting it pulse again, while touching the other to Hermione's.

Then they both turned and grabbed one of the twins by the arm before disappearing in twin flashes of green and teal.


Fred was rather startled when he was suddenly grabbed by the arm and whisked away, but he recovered quickly when he recognized Percy standing only a few meters away. Sunset let go of his arm and smirked yet again. "Go grab him. I'll bring us back down."

Fred smirked as well. He liked how this girl thought. She knew how to have fun. Others might have been startled by the vibrant hair colors the two girls displayed, but he was a Weasley, vibrant hair was part of the package.

"Brother dear, it's time to go."

Percy sighed and put down the book he had been looking at. "Alright, brother, let's go."

"Go? Oh no brother dearest, walking is so last season. Sunset?"

The girl giggled quietly as she snapped her finger and the three disappeared in another flash of teal.


Ron was having fun, reading about his favorite topic. The Chudley Cannons. He didn't notice the flash of green behind him, the quiet crack of displaced air was drowned out in the din of the store.

Suddenly an electric tingle ran through him as a hand touched his shoulder. "Cut it out!"

"It's time to go brother dear, we don't have all day."

"Is that just you or did mom send you?"

"In some capacity."

Ron sighed and put down his book. "Alright. I'm coming." He turned around to face his brother. "Why are you smoking?" A giggle and a flash of green later, he was standing before his mother.


Molly Weasley, was confused to say the least. The two girls were first graders, no doubt, second grade at most, yet they did some magic she had never seen. And now they had just disapparated, not to mention taking two of her sons with them.

"Ohh, they're good."

Ginny approved, of course. She wasn't as much of a prankster as the twins, heaven forbid if she were, but she seemed to enjoy the level of spontaneity and independence the two girls were displaying.

Before she could think much further, there was a flash of teal followed almost immediately by a flash of green. All four of her boys suddenly stood before her again, Fred and George highly amused, Ron and Percy rather more startled. The two girls stepped out from behind them, giggling. Even the eagle's eyes were filled with mirth.

Molly simply stared for a moment. "Did you two just apparate?"

Sunset stopped giggling and visibly shuddered. "Oh Celestia, no. I wouldn't poke that mess of a spell with a ten foot pole. This was a proper teleport. By someone who knows what they're doing."

Molly wasn't entirely sure if she should feel insulted. Now that she thought about it, flashes of light weren't normally a part of apparition. Still there were things to do so she filed the thought away for later. "Well we should probably get going, we still have some more shopping to do. Do you two want to tag along?"

The two girls shared a gaze.

"Evalnuus saruhn?"

Sunset shrugged. "Ertnarek."

Hermione nodded, turning back to Molly. "Sure."

PreviousChapters Next