• Published 14th Mar 2019
  • 10,780 Views, 2,237 Comments

A Phoenix Beyond the Veil - The Philospher's Stone - gerandakis



Displeased with her mentor, Sunset Shimmer looks for a new option, she finds it in a Mirror Portal, deep in the vaults of Canterlot. Together with Philomena, she sets out on a journey. Two worlds of magic will be changed forever, by a small error ...

  • ...
57
 2,237
 10,780

PreviousChapters Next
55 - Strength

Chapter Fifty-Five

Strength


Sunset still wanted to go over her modifications to the spells for the portable hearth with Twilight and the Princess, but, in the evening, it had simply been too late and she had been too tired. She would find the time tonight.

Breakfast was mostly business as usual, though the Gryffindor Firsties were all throwing ideas around, suggesting that other muggle technology could improve magic, or be improved by it. Half way through their meal, as usual, the morning mail arrived.

Sunset was quite surprised to see an owl land before her.

Seeing the note tied to one leg, with a small metal band bearing Hogwarts' coat of arms tied to the other, only confused her further. Seeing no point in guessing games, she magically untied the note from the owls leg and sent it back on its way with a gentle stroke along its back. Then, she unrolled the note and began to read.

Sunset Shimmer,
I have thought about your offer. It took me
a while to decide. But I have decided to
accept. If your offer still stands, I would
like to learn how to better use my strength
Draco and Gregory might not agree, but
I think they will come around in time.
For now though, I think it would be best
if they didn't know about this. So, if you
could find a subtle way of answering, that
would be great.
Thanks either way,
Vincent Crabbe

From the way it was written, it was clear that he had copied the message from somewhere else. He had probably spent quite a while formulating it. Looking across the hall, she saw him sneaking peeks at her every so often. She rubbed her chin, thinking about how to answer, then smiled as an idea hit her.

Subtly drawing her wand, she covertly cast a spell. Then she whispered, "sit tight, I'll be in touch," knowing that the magic would carry her voice across the hall to his ears. And to his ears alone.

When Hermione gave her a confused look, she simply stowed her wand and held out her hand. Hermione quickly took it in her own hand, lit up just the same. A few seconds later, she let go, having read the message and understanding Sunset's response.


Half an hour later, Sunset sat down in the common room and took out two pieces of parchment, identical in every way. She placed both of them on the table before her, then laid out the tip of her wand on the corner of one.

Watching her, Harry noticed that a network of lines was spreading out from where the wand touched the page. Using his new-found ability to zoom, he took a closer look at the page and recognized it as an enchantment array very similar to the ones she had used to link his journal with hers on the train to Little Whinging, though combining elements from all four of them with others he didn't recognize.

After about a minute, much faster than it had been to even create one of the arrays for the old enchantment by hand, Sunset took her wand off the page and placed it in the same spot on the second piece of parchment, creating the same array there.

Once that was done as well, she placed her hands on both arrays and energized them, feeling them link together. Once she was certain they were linked, she added a few smaller, simpler enchantments, making sure to link them into the first.

Finally, she rolled both of them up and placed them in her pocket, each tied together with a small ribbon.


A flash of flame announced Sunset's and Philomena's arrival in the Royal Palace of Canterlot. When Philomena settled on her back, Sunset made her way along the hallways towards her destination. It was easy for her to locate the familiar and powerful signature of Princess Celestia. The smaller signature beside it, also familiar, confirmed that she had arrived just in time.

"What's going on, Princess? Didn't you say we'd have a special project today?"

"We do. You'll just have to wait a moment. I'm sure she'll be here any minute now."

Sunset cast a quick spell to muffle her hooffalls as she continued to listen in.

"She? Who? Do I know her?"

"You do."

"Oh, who is it?"

"You'll just have to wait and see, won't you?"

"Oh, I don't think she will."

Dropping her spell, Sunset calmly approached the two as they spun around to face her. The effect was immediate.

"Sunset!"

The filly in question jumped back a little as Twilight suddenly flashed into existence so close before her their muzzles were nearly touching. She recovered quickly though and the both of them quickly hugged, happy to see each other again after not having met for two whole months.

"It's good to see you again, My Little Sun. It's been too long since I've seen you as a pony."

Sunset let go of Twilight and moved to enclose the princess in a hug next. "It has, hasn't it?"

"Indeed. Now, I think you mentioned a special project?"

With a chuckle, Sunset let go, flowing seamlessly into her human form and reaching into her bag to pull out the spell schemata for the hearth and its control device. "I've come up with a bit of a device and some of my friends suggested some changes to the enchantments. I wanted someone else with magical experience checking them over."

Both she and the princess were distracted by Twilight looking at the plans with wide eyes. She pointed at some of the writing. "What's that say?"

Sunset reverted to pony form and scratched the back of her head with a hoof. "Oh yeah, we never did teach you English, did we?"

"That won't be a problem." Both of them turned to the princess who had lit her horn and was now touching it to Twilight's forehead. "There you go."

Sunset watched as Twilight turned back to the plans, now studying them in more detail, showing no sign of the slight headaches that were always a side effect when she cast that particular spell. It was mildly frustrating that she couldn't tell if the Princess had found some way around that, or if Twilight was simply ignoring them.

"Oh, you used their technology to control the enchantments. That's clever."

With a chuckle, Sunset and Celestia joined Twilight in going over the plans.


Stroking a finger over Philomena's feathers to disguise her once more, Sunset made her way down the stairs to her dorm. It had been a few hours since she had left for Equestria and it was, technically, past curfew. Still, strictly speaking, she wasn't outside of Gryffindor tower, so that wasn't much of an issue, as even first years had no official 'lights out' time.

As such, she calmly made her way over to her bed and sat down on it. Before she went to sleep, there was one more thing she needed to do. She absently pulled her fountain pen and a piece of parchment out of her pocket and began to telekinetically write out a small message. In the meantime, she pulled out one of the rolled up pages she had enchanted earlier.

By the time she had drawn her wand, the short missive was done. She put down the pen and touched her wand onto the paper, imbuing it with a spell. Finally, she unfurled the other page, placed the two of them together and rolled them back up, before retying the ribbon.

Upon a quick mental prompt, Philomena touched a feather to the rolled up papers and sent them away.

Not expecting a reaction until the morning, Sunset went to bed. It was the weekend and she could afford to sleep longer. It wasn't likely, but she could try.


Vincent Crabbe awoke from a troubled sleep. At some point, not too long after he had gone to bed, something had disturbed his slumber. Afterward, he simply couldn't find proper sleep anymore. As such, he woke up exceptionally early for a Sunday.

The moment he sat up in his bed, he noticed the scroll lying beside him. It must have arrived and hit him while he slept. That would at least account for what had interrupted his slumber. Curious, he unrolled the parchment, finding a second page rolled up within. Unfurling it, he began to read.

Vincent,
I would gladly teach you. To be honest,
it would be a great excuse to get back to
training myself. To help secretly keep in
touch, I've enchanted the other piece of
parchment to mimic a matching one I am
keeping. Anything either of us writes, will
be mirrored on the other's sheet and vanish
after a few minutes or when the paper is
tapped with a wand.
This way we can keep contact without your
housemates' knowledge. Once you're done
reading this, tap it with your wand three times.
Just make sure to do so on a fireproof surface.
Sunset

Sparing a curious look at the second piece of parchment, he placed the message on a tray on his bedside table, probably left there by a house elf. Drawing his wand, he tapped it three times. The message promptly burst into flames, burning up within a few seconds and not even leaving ash behind.

He couldn't quite hide his smirk. All this secrecy was actually kind of exciting. Pulling out a quill, he reached for the second piece of parchment and began to write.

Sunset?

For a few moments, nothing happened, then words began to form, written by another's hand.

Ah, good morning Vincent. I see you found my little gift. Good. Now I can explain the rest.

Rest?

Yes. Tap this piece of parchment with your wand and channel a bit of magic into it. Hold that for five seconds.

Mildly confused, he held his wand onto the page and did as told. After the specified time, the page begins to glow slightly and he could feel something at the back of his mind.

Woah. What was that?

That was the spells I put on this thing linking to you. Now you'll always see the page glow slightly. That way you can't confuse it with another one. And you'll get a mental alarm when I write you.

Cool. We should probably figure out when we can train, but I really don't want to do that while the others are in the dorm with me. I'll write again.

Sure thing. I'll clear the messages now.

He watched as the messages they had exchanged vanished, then placed the once more spotless page in his school utensils.


The early afternoon sun shone over the grounds as he approached the lake. It was a bit strange walking across the school grounds alone, he was used to following Draco around, after all. Still, he thought to himself, it's quite relaxing, isn't it?

Before long, he reached the small group of trees by the lake that was to be the meeting point. He looked around, trying to find red and blonde hair between the trees. Then he felt it.

Magic.

The world around him shifted. It warped and changed and before two seconds had passed, he stood in a circular room. A large, equally circular mat in the center of the room covered most of the floor. It didn't take long before he noticed that something was decidedly off about the place.

The proportions were all wrong. The windows were of the same style he was used to seeing all throughout Hogwarts, but, while they were of the usual height, they were far too wide. The stones in the walls also seemed far too wide, but no higher than anywhere else in Hogwarts.

"Don't worry about the room. I've expanded it. It would be too small otherwise."

He spun around to face Sunset just as she faded into existence. "How-"

"I teleported us up here when you arrived. I was waiting under an invisibility spell, this hair isn't exactly hard to spot."

"Where are we?"

"A chamber in one of the unused towers. You wouldn't believe how many of those this place has. Don't worry, I've hidden the entrance. A professor might stumble over it on accident, but no student who doesn't know what they're looking for would find it. Your housemates won't have a clue."

"How do you know so much magic?"

She shook her head. "Long story. Another time, maybe. For now, I'd say we get some training in. What I used in the train was something called Aikido. It's a martial art developed by muggles in Asia a few hundred years ago."

"I don't need anything made by muggles."

She raised a brow. "And yet you took a train to come to the castle where you'll be taught magic. You write on parchment with quills and I could name dozens of other examples. You may not really need any of them, but they're convenient to use anyway. I don't know about you, but I don't think a misguided ideology born of some long dead wizards' paranoia and superiority complexes is a good reason not to make use of something that makes life more convenient."

"But ... I ..."

She sat down on a cushion at the edge of the room. "Think about it. Why did you just say that? What makes you believe that? Do you have any actual reason? Or do you just believe that because it's all you've ever been told?"

He flopped down on a cushion next to hers, thinking back. It was what he'd always been told. That he was pure. That that made him better than half bloods or mudbloods. That they were beneath him. But had he actually seen any of that? It had to be true. Right?

He thought about it, thought harder than he had in his entire time at the school. Malfoy didn't keep him around to think. He kept him around to do as he was told. That wasn't normal either, was it? The more he thought about it, the more he found reality didn't match his image of it. "Why?" he finally whispered after a good ten minutes of silence in which she simply sat there, watching him with a sad smile. "Why do I believe these things?"

"Because they are all you were ever told."

"Why did they tell me that?"

"Because they believe it too."

"But why?"

She sighed. "Because they were indoctrinated into believing it, just as you were. But it isn't actually true. Is it?"

Once more, he fell silent. Thinking. He wanted to believe that it was true. But it wasn't, was it? If it was, there would be no such thing as squibs. If it was, his aunt would be able to use magic. And didn't the history his father taught him also mention a number of dangerous halfbloods and muggleborns? How could that happen if purebloods were superior? The more he thought about the entire ideology he had been brought up with, the less sense it made to him.

"No. It isn't. It's all lies."

She nodded softly. "Lies that have been fed to innocent children for generations." Then she smiled. "But once you recognize them for what they are, they don't work so well anymore. Do they?"

"No. They don't."

"I'd understand if you want some time to think about it. We can train another-"

"No." He looked at her, conviction burning in his eyes. "No. I came here to train. And I will. I can worry about that later."

For a moment, she looked at him carefully, with narrowed eyes. Then she broke into a wide grin.

"Alright. Let's train."

PreviousChapters Next