• Published 25th Jan 2019
  • 5,942 Views, 828 Comments

Oh no, they're Goddesses now! - James Pwyll



What would you do if you were all-powerful? Probably whatever you wanted.

  • ...
16
 828
 5,942

Generations

"More tea, Mrs Shy?" Twilight Velvet asked.

The woman beside her smiled, holding out her cup. "Oh, that would be delightful!"

Velvet smiled back, carefully pouring her the offered drink. It was a fine scene among all of them here atop the clouds. Gods and Goddesses all, but a degree older than those who currently did their duties in the world. All of whom bore a distinct resemblance to those latter deities though. They sat and reclined on their clouds, as though they had not a care in the world, and looked about as content as one could. One particular couple looked especially relaxed, as a muscular man held his lover close, the latter giggling to herself. "Ah tell ya, it's so nice seein' our children down there, doin' their good work," Pear remarked.

"Eyup. Does a father proud," Bright agreed.

Night Light sighed as he looked down to the Earth. "I remember when it was me down there doing things. I miss those days."

But his wife patted him on the shoulder, gaining his attention and offering him a cup of tea of his own. "Don't worry, darling. I'm sure our kids are doing just fine without us."

Night smiled to her, taking the tea and giving her a quick kiss on the cheek, which she definitely appreciated. After one sip of his drink, he again looked to the mortal world. "It's strange, when you think about it. We exist forever, yet our time in our roles does not."

Bright Mac chuckled. "Ah hear ya. Y'all should've seen the fuss ma mother put up when it came time fer her ta pass on her duties ta me. Ah tell ya, y'all have never seen a woman more stubborn!"

There was a laugh all around, and when it was done all eyes turned to the one pair who was not smiling, which was of course Igneous and Cloudy. "It is the way of things. Seasons come and go, as do Gods and Goddesses."

"Except for the high Goddesses, dear," Cloudy corrected.

Igneous nodded to his wife. "Quite, my love."

Though amused at their comparatively emotionless take on the matter, it still gave them something to talk about, and Mrs Shy, after enjoying yet another mouthful of her tea, spoke softly to Velvet beside her. "It's really quite daunting, isn't it? What must it be like for Celestia, Luna and Cadance to rule for all time? I couldn't imagine having my time as an active Goddess last that long."

Velvet laughed a little. "Nor would I want to. A few millennia was more than enough for me."

Night, who was still sitting beside her, sighed. "I wonder how many mortals down there even remember us? It's been, what, a few centuries now since our children took over our roles? They'll sing our daughter Twilight's praises, but how many still go to your temples, dear?" he asked Velvet.

Velvet herself considered that, but seemed content. "Well, such is the way, honey. The world changes. We can't always be popular."

Night smirked. "Well, in any case, I'm glad our kids are doing what they do."

"Even if they do get in a spot of trouble now and again," Velvet added.

The two shared a laugh, but when it was over, Mrs Shy sighed. "Some more than others."

Realising what she was saying, Velvet took on amore concerned look. "Oh! I'm sorry! I didn't mean to make you think of him."

But Mrs Shy smiled to her. "It's fine. I always knew my boy Zephyr would get himself in trouble one day. I just didn't think it would lead him to something like this."

Pear Butter looked over to her, curious. "How is he doing as a mortal right now anyway?"

Here, Mrs Shy actually started to smile. "Oh, he's doing wonderfully!" She paused for a moment. "...Granted, he had a bit of a bad habit of causing the vegetables in his new friend's garden to somehow whither. And yes, he did almost set his house on fire that one time. But aside from that, everything's going well for him."

The other Gods and Goddesses gave each other looks, then glanced back to her. "And the mortal he's staying with, he's one of Twilight's followers, yes?" Igneous asked.

Mrs Shy nodded. "Yes. Flash is such a sweet boy to be letting my little Zephyr live with him."

Bright Mac snorted. "Sweet? The kid has the patience of a Saint ah'd say!"

Then Pear looked to him. "What's a Saint?"

Bright shrugged. "Dunno. Sounded like the right thing ta say though."

The two laughed together, snuggling with each other like they were still a pair of newlyweds. Night smirked to this, then looked down to Earth again. "You know, we still technically have our powers. And that crop down there is looking just a little bit out of line with the others, so..."

But before he could even finish, his wife wagged her finger at him. "Ah! Honey! You now the rules!"

Night sighed, lying flat on his back on the cloud. "Uuuuuuuugh! I know! No getting involved once we're retired!"

Velvet smiled to him, giving him a quick pat on his shoulder. "If it makes you feel better, we can always arrange to go with Twilight while she's overlooking one of her cities. Might be good to see how our girl's getting on."

Night considered that, then smiled. "Yeah...sounds pretty good."

Having finished their little lovers' session, Bright yawned, getting to his feet and having a quick stretch. "Ya know, when the day's done, ah think ah'm gonna go do mah favorite thing!"

Pear rolled her eyes to him. "Bright, honey, ah love ya with all mah heart, but we both know yer never gonna beat Tempest at arm-wrestlin'."

But Bright seemed undeterred by that. "Ha! She's gonna let up some day, and ah'll be the one ta finally beat her at it when it comes!"

Pear shook her head, exasperated yet still endeared by her husband's enthusiasm for the obvious failure he was about to willingly walk into. Meanwhile, who should suddenly arrive onto the scene but Windy Whistles, who flew in speedily before grinding to a halt, sending a puff of cloud in all directions. "Phew! Sorry I'm late! Kinda had some business to deal with!"

Velvet raised an eyebrow. "If by 'business' you mean trying to 'help' your daughter with her job again?"

Hearing that, Windy folded her arms, looking away with a quick huff before finally replying. "Hey, when your daughter is a literal Goddess, she deserves all the praise she gets!"

Mrs Shy spoke to her next. "But...um...doesn't she already get that from her followers and worshippers?"

Windy waved her off. "Pfft! As if mortals could give her proper praise." Then she perked up. "But that's beside the point. I've got a big surprise for her when she comes home for the day!"

Night leaned in closer to his wife, whispering to her. "Knowing her, this is either gonna be really bad or really silly. There's no middle ground with her."

Velvet stifled a giggle, then continued to look to Windy as she spoke. "I got a whole bunch of mortals together and told them to build a brand new statue to my sweet girl! And I'm not talking those piddly little things most villages have! No, we're talking full on hundred-foot monuments here!"

Pear considered that. "Wait...did the mortals know who you were when you asked them to do that?"

Windy blushed a little. "Well, no. The last mortals to remember me as a Goddess died a few hundred years ago."

Pear looked to her warily. "So..."

Windy paused, then sighed. "Okay, so maybe I assumed the form of my daughter to convince them to do it."

There was silence all around, and Windy looked to them all with confusion. "...What?"

Sighing, Velvet rubbed the bridge of her nose, then spoke up. "You made yourself look like your daughter?"

"Yep!" Windy answered.

"To convince mortals to obey your command?" Night asked.

"Yep!"

"A command which was to make a brand new monument to Rainbow?" Pear added.

"Yep!"

"Thus making it look like your daughter is a complete glutton for attention and praise who will order backbreaking labor just to satisfy her own ego?" Cloudy finished.

Windy paused again here, taking in all that, and slowly, her smile vanished. "...Okay...yeah...I think I see where you're coming from now." She glanced behind herself. "So...think I can maybe undo this little whoopsie of mine before my little girl finds out?"

"MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!" an angry voice called out from across the sky.

All Gods and Goddesses looked to the direction of the angry voice, then back to Windy. After a while, and after letting out another long sigh, Velvet spoke to her. "Windy...what's the rule?"

After a time, Windy's shoulders slumped. "No getting involved with mortals after we've retired."

Velvet nodded. "Good. Now I think you have a daughter to apologise to."

With another huff, Windy flew off, no doubt ready to get a fair earful from Rainbow when she met her. In the silence that followed, Velvet started to look to her fellow former deities carefully. "Out of curiosity...has anyone else tried sneaking in some unsanctioned God work with the mortals lately?" Suddenly, everyone found it rather difficult to look her in the eye, much to her chagrin. "Right...of course."