• Published 25th Jan 2019
  • 5,942 Views, 828 Comments

Oh no, they're Goddesses now! - James Pwyll



What would you do if you were all-powerful? Probably whatever you wanted.

  • ...
16
 828
 5,942

Flurry's Follower

"Um...Lady Twilight?"

"Yes, Flash?"

"Not to sound disrespectful or anything, but this...well...it's rather...unconventional."

"Yes, I imagine it would seem that way. But, I trust you with this important matter, and I'm certain you're up to the task."

Though many would be pleased beyond belief to have the trust of a Goddess, these specific circumstances left Flash rather uncertain of how to act. As he stood beside his patron deity, he looked down at the tiny figure sitting before them. It was none other than Flurry Heart, newly-born daughter of the Goddess Cadance and the God Shining Armor. Flash knew he was in the presence of divinity, just as he did whenever Twilight was nearby, yet he had never before encountered a Goddess of this specific nature. Most, at the very least, could talk to him. Flurry meanwhile simply rolled around on her little pedestal, giggling and gurgling happily, as though the mere act of rolling was the best form of entertainment she'd ever had. Flash, hapless mortal that he was, folded his arms, before then glancing to the side.

"I mean no offense to your niece, Lady Twilight, but I have no idea what to do with a baby Goddess!"

Twilight giggled, giving him a reassuring pat on the side of his arm.

"I assure you, Flash, you have nothing to worry about. All deities have cults, and since you're an old pro at following Goddesses, I figured you'd be a good first pick as Flurry's first follower."

To be the first of a brand new cult was not something one turned their noses at, yet there were still some lingering issues Flash felt the need to address.

"But...what is she even a Goddess of? Has a decision been made?"

Twilight smiled to him.

"If the likes of Spike or Scootaloo haven't been given their roles yet, it'll be quite some time before Flurry does."

Flash nodded, accepting that point, though further questions remained in him.

"So...are there any particular rituals I need to observe here? I can't imagine her giving any blessings if she can't even speak to me."

Twilight looked over to her niece, giving her a quick pinch of her cheek, which elicited further giggles from the child.

"Just stick to the basics. The usual bows, prayers, chants, all that good stuff. Flurry will find her role in time, and her power. And when she does, it'll be good for her to have an experienced cultist with her early."

Though Flash was understanding on the matter, or at least more understanding than most would be under these circumstances, there was one thing that continued to pester his mind.

"Say, why is Flurry getting a cult before Spike or the other young Gods?"

Twilight, doing her best to stifle what had to be an immense squee, looked to her follower with utter giddiness.

"I'm sorry! I just couldn't wait! I just had to set all this up for her! I'm an Aunt! And she's the cutest, sweetest, most precious little baby Goddess in all the world and..."

Realising how she must have been appearing, she took a moment, clearing her throat, and brushing herself off slightly.

"I mean...I felt it was proper. Family and all that."

It took all of Flash's resolve not to smirk at the overwhelming enthusiasm his Goddess had shown just now. Instead, he assumed the more deferent posture he was known for, getting down to one knee and speaking with the uttermost respect.

"My Lady Twilight...I give you my word that I shall serve your niece as faithfully as I have served you. I am truly honored to have been chosen for this."

Twilight smiled, stepping forward placing her hand upon his head.

"Then you have my blessing, dearest Flash. Rise, and serve her well."

Flash smiled, but when he looked up, he saw that she was no longer there. All that remained were a few stray purple sparkles glittering in the air, a clear sign that she had transported herself elsewhere. Now alone with the diminutive new Goddess, Flash sighed, looking to his new Patron with both apprehension and confusion.

"Alright then...guess I'd better get started."

Standing straight, he gave a deep bow to the infant.

"O Flurry, Goddess of...whatever you'll one day be Goddess of. I humbly submit my life and my service to thee. May the world prosper under your watchful gaze."

Silence, and after a full minute of waiting for a response, Flash cracked an eye open and looked up, seeing that Flurry, rather predictably, had not paid attention to a single word he'd just said. instead, she'd just continued rolling around, even stopping at one point to stare at a passing butterfly, which if course gave her immense delight to see. Flash, now standing up properly, sighed again.

"Okay...this is gonna be a long day."

He turned around, putting his hands on his hips.

"Remember, Flash, she's a Goddess. Show respect. Who knows? She might become a really great one some day."

His smile returned, and he turned to look upon her yet again.

"Lady Flurry, I..."

He halted, for where Flurry had once been, now there was only an empty space. His eyes wide with shock, Flash's head darted in all directions, and panic struck him at the prospect of having lost the baby Goddess. His breathing became frantic, and his mind raced with the thought of every terrible thing the heavenly host above might do to him because of his cosmic-scale blunder. But, as soon as he'd had those thoughts, they vanished, for he now heard the sound of giggling behind him. Turning, he saw that it was Flurry, sitting innocently on the grass beside him, smiling sweetly. Flash, naturally, breathed an immense sigh of relief.

"Oh my! You gave me quite the scare, little one! Now how did you get down there?"

He got to one knee to get a better look at her, just to make sure she hadn't hurt herself. But as soon as he did, she giggled, and in a quick flash of light, she vanished. Flash again looked around with panic, only to stop when he saw her re-appear again, this time right back on her pedestal. Though still worried about this, he nevertheless afforded himself a moment to chuckle.

"Well, you're quite the little magician, aren't you?"

Flurry's response to that? Well, right before Flash's eyes, she started to float, lifting herself off the pedestal with her godly power. Though of course in awe at this display of power, Flash's sense of wonder was soon replaced with a more immediate feeling of worry as he saw his Patron get steadily higher and higher. Realising that she might even float all the way up into the sky, Flash did the only thing his panicked brain would tell him and reached forward, trying to take hold of her and keep her back on the ground. Unfortunately, since this was a Goddess he was dealing with, his comparatively feeble human strength wasn't enough to accomplish this goal, and so he too started to get hoisted upwards. His pupils shrinking to pinpoints, Flash screamed at the top of his lungs as he and Flurry started flying up higher.

"THIS IS NOT OKAY!!! THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT OKAY!!!"

Flurry, as was customary for her at this point, simply giggled to her follower's screams.


"Did you enjoy your anniversary, Cadance?" Twilight asked.

The Goddess of Love smiled back to her sister-in-law.

"Oh, indeed I did, Twilight. Your brother and I had a truly wonderful time today."

The two Goddesses enjoyed this moment, but as soon as they transported themselves to their destination, those smiles vanished, replaced instead with look of surprise as they witnessed the scene before them. Flurry was there, still sitting on her pedestal, and still giggling to herself, but Flash, who was right next to her, did not appear to be in the best of shape. He was shivering in place, which was understandable given that he was covered from head to toe in a light dusting of snow, which was especially odd given that they were right in the middle of a very warm day. And as he stood there, struggling to bow to the newly-arrived Goddesses, he just kept muttering the same thing over and over again.

"So high up...so very...very high up!"

Cadance, blinking to this, offered her sister-in-law a small smile.

"You know, Twilight, I think we might need to wait a bit before giving Flurry her own cult. It might be safer that way."

Though somewhat disappointed by that, the evidence supporting Cadance's point was overwhelming, and so Twilight released a sigh before nodding to her.

"Yeah, maybe you're right."

Cadance nodded back, walking over and picking up her daughter, who gurgled happily at being reunited with her Mother. As for Flash, Cadance regarded him, then gave a slight bow of her head.

"My thanks to you, mortal. You served my daughter well, even in the face of her...well...more difficult tendencies."

Flash, remembering his manners, bowed to her.

"Th...th...thank you, Lady Cadance," he said, still shivering.

No further word was spoken by the Lady of Love, and as Flurry gave her now-former follower a friendly wave, the two disappeared in the blink of an eye. Twilight, walking up to her returned cultist, chuckled nervously, then slowly brushed off some of the snow atop his head.

"Well, look at it this way..."

She looked to the snow in her palm.

"...at least you've shown us what she'll probably be a Goddess of one day."

Flash, falling to his knees, held her tightly by the leg.

"PLEASE DON'T EVER LEAVE ME AGAIN, LADY TWILIGHT!!!"

Twilight, seeing the poor state her follower had been reduced too, grimaced, adjusting her glasses slightly.

"Um...alright then. I do believe a day off is in order for you."

Flash, regaining his senses somewhat, got to his feet, with another bit of snow falling off his head as he stood.

"Yes...that'd be good."