• Published 21st Oct 2018
  • 738 Views, 63 Comments

Zecora Goes On Tour - Zecora Zebra



Pinkie Pie convinces Zecora to start rapping.

  • ...
3
 63
 738

Four Years Later

Author's Note:

I just remembered this story out of the blue. I was like, "Wait, I never finished it!"

Looked at it. Saw I hadn't posted a chapter since 2019. I was like, "WHAT? IT'S 2023! Nobody who was reading this back then is even gonna remember this!"

It's fine though. Better late than never.

Four years had passed since the Convention in Baltimare. Snips and Snails never got their feature, but there were many reasons for that.

The first reason was that Vinyl Scratch went into seclusion after being bombarded with commissions to produce beats for artists all around Equestria. Business at Sugarcube Corner was booming because the Cakes were convinced by an entrepreneur from Canterlot that they should start a franchise and open up Sugarcube Corners in other places besides Ponyville.

They opened a second location in Canterlot which was very successful. A year later, they opened up another location in Phillydelphia. Their most recent expansion was a fourth location in Manehattan. Pinkie Pie was there to help manage the different locations, the Cakes were still very involved in the company but they were taking some time off to spend time with their children. This left Pinkie Pie juggling four different dessert shops on her own. She had no time for music.

Zecora spent the last four years fending off loggers from trying to deforest the Everfree and protect the ecosystems of the animals that live there. She had done so with great success. She wrote a petition that was signed by herself and every citizen of Ponyville. The petition was folded and put into an envelope that the Mayor herself stamped with her seal. It was sent to Canterlot Castle. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna had both read it and approved it. They made a royal decree that the Everfree Forest was a Wildlife Refuge and so the environment could not be disturbed.

As much as the three of them missed making music together, they simply didn't have time for it. It seemed like the end of an era for Equestrian music. That is until one day when Zecora received a letter from Vinyl Scratch. It read:
Zecora,
I was thinking of you and Pinkie Pie recently. I've finally gotten some time to myself after all these years and I'd like to get P-Unit back in the studio. Please drop by for a visit when you get a chance.

-VS

Zecora couldn't help but laugh, "After all this time I can see a familiar face? I suppose there's no time to waste!"

She scrambled to get ready and took off in full gallop toward the studio.


It was nearly closing time at the Ponyville location of Sugarcube Corner. Derpy Hooves, the local mail carrier, trotted in. Pinkie Pie was wiping tables down with a washcloth. She turned to see Derpy holding a letter.

"Letter for you, Ms. Pie," she held it out to give it to her.

"Ms. Pie is my mama, you can call me Pinkie," Pinkie reminded her for the millionth time.

"Oh. Letter for you, Pinkie," Derpy corrected herself again.

"Do you know who it's from?" she inquired.

"The return address is the studio across town," Derpy answered.

"Well, I'll be! Let's see it then," Pinkie took the envelope and opened it.

A similar letter to the one Zecora received was written. It said:
PINKIE!

How's my favorite party animal? I got some time to myself after literal years of having to produce beats and DJ for parties all over Equestria. I want to get P-Unit back in the studio. I sent a letter to Zecora as well. If she receives it, then it's possible you'll run into her on the way here. That'll give you both a chance to shoot the breeze and catch up and we can link up afterward.

It'll be fun, can't wait to spend time with the girls again,

-VS

"I KNEW IT! Thank you, Derpy," she hugged her tight, nearly squeezing the life out of her.

"You're choking me, Pinkie," Derpy struggled to speak.

"I'm sorry, you just made me really happy with this news!" Pinkie hurried around with a dry cloth to wipe the tables and threw the wet cloth into the soap bucket she was using. Once the tables were clean, she flipped the open sign to closed and took off in a full gallop toward the studio.


Zecora had made it to the studio first. She knocked on the door and waited for an answer. The music from inside was loud and it seemed Vinyl Scratch didn't hear it. Zecora knocked again, much louder the second time. The music stopped and hoofsteps could be heard rushing down from the second floor to the first. The door flung open and Vinyl stood on the other side.

"ZECORA! It's been so long! I've missed you. How have you been?" Vinyl hugged Zecora.

"Even after all these years, seeing you brings me much cheer," Zecora returned the hug.

"Come on in! Pinkie should be here soon," Vinyl went back up to her studio.

Zecora obliged and followed her in.

Before she could close the door, they could hear Pinkie Pie yelling, "WAIT FOR ME!"

Zecora left it open and waited for her to come in. When she got there, she was out of breath from galloping across town.

"I'm so happy to see you both! I need a minute though, that was a long sprint from Sugarcube Corner to here," Pinkie took a deep breath.

"There's some water in the kitchen. Help yourself," Vinyl pointed at the door that led to the kitchen.

Pinkie Pie went to the kitchen and drank some of the water. She then followed Zecora and Vinyl up to the studio on the second floor.

"As you can see, I've made some improvements over the years. I've added a recording booth with soundproof walls. I soundproofed the entire studio, actually," Vinyl said.

"If the studio is soundproof, why did it sound like you'd bring down your roof?" Zecora asked.

"'Oh that was my stereo. It's not in my studio, it's in my room." Vinyl laughed.

"Do you both mind if I go in the booth first?" Pinkie was excited.

Zecora and Vinyl both nodded in agreement and Pinkie Pie entered the booth.

"I'll get you a beat," Vinyl started flipping switches and pushing buttons.

Zecora sat in a chair next to Vinyl, waiting to hear Pinkie rap.

"What do you think of this beat, Pinkie?" Vinyl played one she'd been working on recently.

It sounded like this:

"Woah, this one sounds kinda depressing. I'll see what I can do about approaching it seriously."

Pinkie Pie started rapping:
Been bout four years since I hopped in the booth.
Is Friendship still Magic? I don't have a clue.
Ending it's tragic, I thought of that too.
I ain't say that just to mess with ya.
Working too hard, been all over Equestria.
I'm sick to death of just being sequestered here.
I miss when we traveled, I miss when we battled.
I miss all the chaos we tried to unravel.
New generation, I'm back on the saddle.
If I see Rain, break his neck with a paddle.
I think I'm done with just messing around.
Promised the Cakes that I'd sit Pumpkin and Pound.
Glad to be back here and kicking these sounds.
Gotta go. Vinyl, Zecora, it's up to you now.

Pinkie Pie left the booth.

Vinyl turned to her, "Ay yo that was heat. You can't just spit that fire and disappear again."

"I wish I could stay, but I really did promise Mr. and Mrs. Cake that I'd babysit their kids. They ain't babies no more though, they're sprouting like weeds. Honestly, when I walk in and they're like "AUNT PINKIE!" it warms my heart," Pinkie explained her situation.

"Well, listen, my door's always open. You ever feel like you need to get something off your chest and you just wanna leave it on wax, I'll set up a beat and you can vent in here as much as you want," Vinyl extended that invitation.

Zecora agreed, "It is true, we'll always be here for you."

"I'll see y'all soon," Pinkie left.

"I'm worried about her, something seems off," Vinyl turned to Zecora.

Zecora nodded, "She is dealing with much strife, I know not if she was joking about ending her life."

"Well, I guess the E rating's out the window now," Vinyl sighed.

"Priorities, Vinyl. There's a sad sister in our sorority," Zecora said.

"You're right, I don't think anyone will care if we move it to T anyway," Vinyl conceded.

"Let's go, we must follow," Zecora left to try and catch up with Pinkie Pie.

Vinyl did as she said and they left the studio with Zecora.

Pinkie didn't get too far. She turned to see them, looking bewildered.

"Are you both okay? What's going on?" Pinkie asked.

"I'm good, I was about to ask you. Them bars you was spitting in there. Is that how you actually feel? Talking bout 'ending it's tragic, I thought of it too.' That better not mean what I think it means," Vinyl answered.

"What? No, I was referring to my music career, my line of work now leaves me no time for it. I can't juggle four Sugarcube Corner locations and a rap career, I'll lose my mind. You've seen what happens when I go crazy," Pinkie scoffed at the idea of her doing anything to hurt herself.

"Well, hey, we're here for you. Alright? Just know that if you need that kind of help, we got your back," Vinyl raised an eyebrow behind her sunglasses. She wasn't sure if she believed Pinkie.

"Pinkie, this will sound sappy, but nopony is expected to always be happy. Health is wealth," Zecora added.

"I appreciate you both caring so much. I promise I'll let you know if things get that bad for me," Pinkie smiled and hugged her friends.

"Like I said, that's what we're here for. Remember that. Whether it's four minutes, four hours, four days, four months, or four years. You wanna hit me up and get in the booth, just say the word," Vinyl once again left this offer on the table.

"If I have time, I'll be sure to take you up on that offer. I'll see you both around," Pinkie turned and trotted away again.

"Later, Pinkie!" Vinyl waved.

"Goodbye, Pinkie Pie," Zecora called.

"What about you Zecora? You wanna hop in the booth next?" Vinyl asked.

"For that, I must take a rain check. I'll return sooner than you expect," Zecora said.

"Suit yourself. I'll see you soon. Hopefully in less than 4 years," Vinyl joked.

"We shall see," Zecora left on that note.

Vinyl returned to her studio and continued working on her music. The three of them being together, even if only for a short while, gave her hope for the future. Perhaps a P-Unit Reunion was coming into fruition. Time will tell.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment