• Published 25th Oct 2018
  • 4,147 Views, 956 Comments

My Chemical Reaction - MysteriousStranger



Still recovering from the Midnight Sparkle incident, Twilight seeks to distract herself with a new book she's eager to read, but she soon discovers that she's not the only one interested in it.

  • ...
11
 956
 4,147

Echoes from the Past

Aria’s P.O.V.

“Is that all?” I asked Adagio after groaning.

We have been in the store for a while now and I was getting really bored. It made me wonder how Adagio kept our normally hyper energetic sister Sonata in check whenever she brought her.

“We just arrived, Aria. I still need to buy more ingredients for dinner.” My older sister replied without looking at me. She was inspecting a bag of rice.

“Remind me again why you brought me with you instead of Sonata?” I looked at the stands, just so I had something to do.

“I always come with Sonata. Believe it or not, I love both of you.” She smiled at me as she patted my head. “Besides, it’s your turn to choose dinner. What will you want?”

I looked around trying to think of what I wanted for dinner tonight. When we walked near the freezer section something caught my attention. I walked towards one particular freezer and looked inside, and smiled after looking inside. “Hamburgers. We’ll have hamburgers.”

Adagio sighed loudly as she approached. “Really? Why not something more elaborate?”

I turned my head towards my sister. I knew exactly what I wanted to say just to get under her skin. "Hey, it's my turn, we'll have what I want. And I say we have hamburgers for dinner. Plus, we can add cheese on top if you want to make it 'fancier'."

Seeing the expression on her face more than made up for all the times she embarrassed me or trolled me with her shenanigans. Finally I was going to get the last laugh and it was sweet.

Adagio took a deep breath before speaking again. “Very well, but could you at least choose a normal condiments?”

I glared at my sister with annoyance and pointed at her with my index finger. “Fine, but we’re buying mayonnaise too! You know I can’t stand mustard!”

Adagio massaged her forehead before raising her hand in defeat. “Alright, alright, but I’m making rice to accompany it.”

“Deal!” With a smug grin on my face, I opened the freezer to get the hamburgers. “Sweet! Let’s get the buns.”

After placing tonight’s dinner in the cart, I moved ahead so I could arrive to where the bread was first. However, when I was about to reach my destination, I saw one person already there. One that looked familiar. Amethyst hair and dressed fashionably that could give Adagio a run her money. She’s one of the Rainbooms! Before she spotted me, I hid behind one of the stands. Adagio leaned her head in confusion when she saw how I was behaving.

“What’s gotten into you?” She asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Stay right there!” I whispered loudly. “One of Twilight’s friends is there. It’s not Sunset Shimmer nor that Trixie girl.”

Adagio chuckled. “Is that so?” She smirked before she continued on her way.

“What are you doing?! Let’s get out of here!” I hissed under my breath.

My sister stopped briefly and turned to look at me, with that same stupid grin on her face.

“Why? You already told Twilight that it was okay to tell her friends about us. I’m going to say hi,” And she turned to saunter towards the Rainboom.

“It doesn’t mean that I want to talk to them!” I hissed while trying to cover my face without being seen.

“Maybe you don’t, but I do. I’m tired of dodging them because you don’t want to be seen.” She moved forward again.

“Wait, did you see them before?” My words were ignored however, as Adagio approached Twilight’s friend. I hid behind my hand, but my curiosity got the better of me. I took a peek through my fingers I wasn’t too far so I should be able to hear their voices.

“Hello. Fancy meeting you here.” My sister was the first to speak once she was close enough. Twilight’s friend turned around. Her eyes widened in shock when she laid her eyes on Adagio. Nice start.

“Oh, h-hello…” I could see her discomfort from here. “Fancy seeing you here too…?”

My sister laughed softly before waving a hand into the air with a feminine, dismissive of faux-modesty. “You have nothing to worry about. There’s no hard feelings. I just want to say hi.” She extended her hand towards the girl after finishing her sentence. “Why don’t we start over? I’m Adagio Dazzle. Nice to make your acquaintance.”

Twilight’s friend stared at my sister’s hand, clearly confused. She hesitated, but eventually took hold and shook Adagio’s hand. “I’m Rarity.”

“Rarity, what a beautiful name.” My sister released Rarity’s hand, who pulled it back instantly. This girl was as cautious as a cat. “I’m pretty sure you’re not from around here. Your school isn’t close by. What brings you so far from your house?”

Just before Twilight’s friend replied, Adagio raised a finger to silence her and turned towards where I was. I quickly hid myself. Don’t you dare…! I closed my eyes in frustration whenmy sister called me.

“Eavesdropping is not polite, Aria. Come over here!” I groaned, slumping my shoulders in defeat.

Having no choice in the matter, I revealed myself and walked towards where my sister and Rarity were. Twilight’s friend looked even more uneasy as I approached. I stood by my sister giving Rarity some space as I slipped my hands in my pockets, trying not to make eye contact. “Aren’t you going to say hello, Aria?”

“Don’t push it.” I crossed my arms and looked away.

Adagio sighed loudly and placed her hand on her forehead. “You’re impossible… anyway.” My sister returned her attention to the Rainboom. “You were saying?”

“I-I’m here on business. The fabric shop I buy from is nearby.”

“Fabrics? Oh…” Adagio smiled. “You’re the one who designed your friends’ costumes for the Battle of the Bands, then?”

Rarity nodded. “I-I did…” She was startled when my sister suddenly squealed, and so did I for that matter.

“I adored your designs! They were gorgeous!” I could swear Adagio’s eyes sparkled.

Rarity let out an audible gasp. Her expression didn’t show any sign of fear anymore. She was just surprised. “You… you’re into fashion too?”

My sister nodded. “That I do.” She placed a hand on her hip as she wore a smug smile. “Who do you think that came up with the costumes for the Battle of the Bands. Aria?”

She said the last while pointing at me with her thumb without turning around. “She was going to give us three some distasteful punk look and there’s no way I was going to allow that.”

“Whatever,” I still had my eyes narrowed with annoyance. “You tortured me that night and I still didn’t hear your apology.”

Adagio groaned loudly and glared at me. “All I did was to make you wear a dress. Not even a short one!”

“It’s. still. A. Dress.” I looked at my sister this time. “I don’t do dresses, nor skirts, nor anything similar! My legs are not to be exposed like that.”

Adagio was going to reply, but a sudden giggling stopped her from doing so. Both my sister and I slowly turned to face Rarity to find her covering her own mouth with a hand. She was clearly smiling.

“M-My apologies, but you remind me of my friend Rainbow Dash. She’s impossible when it comes to trying out my most gorgeous creations. But for what it’s worth, I also thought your costumes were quite marvelous!”

“Y-You did?” Adagio blinked her eyes in confusion.

Twilight’s friend nodded. “Absolutely. I remember thinking ‘Oh, no! They’re about to win! We’re doomed! But those outfits are an absolute dream!’”

Once again, my sister’s eyes sparkled as she grinned. “You truly have a good taste! It wasn’t easy to make them either, you know? Aria refused to model and Sonata kept changing my design.”

“Do you have a job in the fashion industry?” The fancy girl asked.

Adagio sighed sadly. “More or less. I recently became the assistant of a local fashionista. He does appreciate my initiative and skills, but I haven’t been given the opportunity of crafting a full outfit from zero yet. I-“

“Hold on.” I called for Adagio’s attention. “I thought you worked for a businessman.”

My sister sighed as she massaged her forehead. “I mentioned that I was hired by a fashionista a few weeks ago. I knew that you didn’t listen.” Adagio looked at Twilight’s friend again and recovered her smirk. “As I was saying, I earn enough to support myself and my sisters, but… I don’t have the luxury to buy an extended wardrobe. I’m stuck with plain outfits like the dress I’m wearing now…”

“How dreadful…” I commented with clear sarcasm. However, the Rainboom gasped loudly with true horror.

“Oh, dear, that’s awful! Who is this man you work for?”

“He goes by the name of Hoity Toity. He’s descent, but a perfectionist. He won’t trust me with any of his creations unless he’s absolutely sure that I can handle it.” Adagio said.

“Oh, yes, I know him. You’re right, he’s a perfectionist, but his work is quite admirable,” Rarity commented.

“It will probably be a year or two before-”

“Alright, that’s it.” I interrupted Adagio, raising both of my hands. My sister and her new friend looked at me. “That’s all I can stand. Why don’t I continue with the shopping and meet you later by the dairy products stand?”

I’m starting to get a headache, so I decided it was better to go before my head explodes.

“Suit yourself, Aria.” Adagio smirked. “This might take a while. I rarely have the opportunity of having a conversation about couture.”

“If you don’t show up in ten minutes, I’m dragging you home myself.”

My sister shrugged, still with her smug grin, and turned to Twilight’s friend again. The Rainboom offered me a weak wave, but I didn’t return it. Taking hold of the shopping cart, I continued to the bread stands. She better not keep me waiting.


Eight minutes… it has been eight minutes since I left Adagio and her new friend alone! I already bought everything we came for, so there was nothing else I could do to kill time. Screw it, I’m going after her right now. I turned around, only to find Adagio approaching, holding Tanuki Tarts for Sonata.
“Where you going to look for me? We’re still in the agreed ten minutes.”

I sighed in annoyance and pushed the cart towards her, which she stopped with her free hand. “I gave you too much time. I wish I ran to avoid her instead of hiding.”

“Well, I’m glad you didn’t.” Adagio placed the Tanuki Tarts in the cart. “Rarity shares my sophisticated tastes. She even invited me to a fashion show next week.”

“Really? We just encountered a person who was terrified of us for what we did, and you’re suddenly besties?” I asked incredulously.

“Besties is a strong word. We’re starting over,” Adagio smiled before glancing at the cart. “I see you got everything. Let’s buy you a snack before returning home.”

“A snack? For what?”

My sister took the cart and started to walk. “You deserve a prize since you haven’t shown signs of running away for making friends like you did last time.”

“Last time?” I blinked in confusion. “What do you mean?”

Adagio sighed and looked at me. “You don’t remember? But it was only eight years ago.”

I narrowed my eyes, still confused. “Care to clarify?”

My sister stopped walking and placed a hand on her hip. “I don’t know the details. You used to have what you called a ‘hunting pack’. You would be with them most of the time.”

“A… hunting pack?” I narrowed my eyes thoughtfully. My memories from Equestria are mostly with Adagio and Sonata. But… some are blurry.

“Yes.” Adagio nodded. “You were with them for a few weeks and then…” She fell silent. I waited for her to say something, but she didn’t.

“Then… what?” I asked, getting annoyed, but when it was clear that Adagio wasn’t going to continue I felt kind of bad for snapping at her.

“That’s the thing, I don’t know. You returned to us one day, with a mood of wanting to kill the world, which is the one you usually have nowadays. We tried to ask about your 'pack', but you refused to talk about them.”

I crossed my arms and looked away to think, trying to remember if anything Adagio just said was true. She would never lie like this to me. Hunting pack… it sounds like something I would say. Suddenly, I heard voice which sounded familiar, but I couldn't quite identify. Brainless idiot! You’re all brute force! You would starve to death on your own!

“Aria? Are you there? Aria!” The sound of snapping fingers woke me up from my daze. I blinked several times and gazed at my sister, who was looking worried. “You were staring blankly at nothing. What’s gotten into you?”

“Err… I…” I shook my head and frowned. “Nothing. Let’s just go.”

Adagio exhaled. “Alright. Grab that Zig Zag chocolate you love so much and let’s go then.”

Nothing much was said afterwards. I focused on my thoughts again to try to remember what those voices were. Those words… I think they hurt me back in the day, but I never let my guard down… right?


Adagio made me carry all the bags on the way home, of course. She was humming as she walked and had a big smug grin on her face. The only thing that will lift my mood will be arriving home and tuning in for my favorite police show. As we approached the door I could feel relief fill me as the distance closed.

My older sister opened the door when we arrived. “Sonata, we’re back!”

Sonata was on the couch. She turned around and grinned when she saw us. “Welcome back! Did you bring me anything?”

“We did.” Adagio said as she took the Tanuki Tarts from one of the bags. “Here you go.” She tossed them towards Sonata.

“Tanuki Tarts, yay! I’m going to share them.” My cheerful sister was jumping of happiness. While I watched the scene, I took my chocolate from one of the bags.

“No thanks, I’m good.” Adagio said with a smile as she took the bags I was holding and took them to the kitchen.

“And I have my own snack, so I’ll pass.” I said as I jumped on the couch. “You can have them all.” I added as I unwrapped my Zig Zag chocolate.

“Maybe Twilight will want some!” Sonata chirped.

I stood up abruptly when Sonata mentioned my friend’s name. “Twilight’s here?”

My younger sister nodded. “She’s in the bathroom.”

As in cue, Twilight walked out of the bathroom just as Adagio returned. I quickly swallowed the piece of chocolate I was eating and looked at Twilight.

“Excuse me, but there’s no soap and I don’t know where-” She stopped talking when she spotted Adagio and me. “Oh… hi!” She smiled.

Adagio groaned as she massaged her forehead. “Why do I always have to replace the soap when it runs out?” She complained as she walked into the bathroom. “Come, Twilight.”

“O-Okay!”

Twilight turned around, but kept her eyes on me for a moment before following Adagio back in the bathroom. I heard the sound of a drawer opening and, seconds later, my older sister walked out while Twilight turned the faucet to wash her hands. “I’m sorry, my sisters are terrible hostesses.”

“It’s fine, don’t worry!” I heard my friend’s voice before she closed the faucet.

“Why are you including me? Sonata received her!” I glared at Adagio.

“The same thing would have happened with you too!” My older sister replied with a scolding tone, which got me angrier. However, my expression softened when Twilight returned.

“Alright, now that I have my hands clean…” My friend walked towards me, her smile intact, and gave me a hug. “Hello, Aria.”

“Y-Yes, hello.”

Just barely after I hugged her back, Twilight broke the hug and grinned excitedly. “I brought you something!” She said before turning to my sisters. “And to you two too.”

“Yay! I’ll finally get to see what’s in the bags you brought! Wait, let me put these tarts in the microwave.” Sonata said before running to the kitchen.

Meanwhile, Twilight took one of the bags from the table with a lamp and gave it to Adagio. Some beeping sounds were heard from the kitchen before Sonata returned. “Okay, ready!”

Adagio smiled. “Very well.” As Sonata and I moved closer, she unwrapped the gift. The three of us gasped. Inside, was one of the photos we took last week, the one the four of us took together, framed.

“I didn’t know if you wanted to hang it on the wall or place it on a table, so… this frame has both a hook and a support!”

“Thank you, Twilight.” My older sister gazed at my friend. “I’ll hang it in the living room later tonight.”

Twilight smiled in appreciation before turning to me. “The other bag belongs to you, Aria. I got you an extra something to thank you for looking after Spike last weekend.”

“You did?” I smiled at her. “I’ll open them in my room.”

“Oh…” Twilight looked down, sad.

I placed a hand on her shoulder, smiling. “Why the long face? You’re coming with me.”

Twilight gasped. “Your room… me?”

I raised an eyebrow in confusion. “Yes, why not?” I took the remaining bag from the table. Then, more beeps were heard from the kitchen.

“Wait!” Sonata exclaimed and rushed to the kitchen, returning a couple of seconds later, holding a Tanuki Tart. “Here, Twilight, for you!”

“Oh-” My friend was surprised at first, but then smiled. “Thank you, Sonata. I like them.”

Sonata giggled. “Who doesn’t?”

Tart in hand, Twilight followed me towards my room. I couldn’t believe myself, but as I opened the door of my room, I mentally thanked Adagio for forcing me to clean my room. Granted, my bed was undone, but the rest was presentable. Twilight scanned my room. Her gaze stopped briefly on my bed, but she quickly moved her eyes toward my floating shelves, where I recently moved my VHS collection.

“I was wondering where you put them. I didn’t see them under the television.” She said as she placed the bag she was holding on a nearby table.

“Yeah, I had to relocate them after seeing Sonata touching them with her hands dirty with nachos or any other food.” As I spoke, Twilight moved closer to my movie collection. I took the opportunity to finish my chocolate.

“You have them organized by genre and title.” She looked at me, smiling. “I’m impressed.”

My cheeks felt warm. “Thanks. I was tired of having to look for them whenever I wanted to watch a movie in particular. I had free time, so… yeah.”

My friend looked back at the movies. “You know, this is my last week of school before Spring Break. I’ll have much more free time, so I was thinking on watching ‘Extraterrestrial’ then.”

“Sure.” I smirked as I placed my hands on the pocket of my jeans. “Just say when. I’m free from Saturday all the way to Friday.”

Twilight giggled. “I can’t this weekend. I’ll be hosting a slumber party with my other friends. I’ll actually be focused on it until it’s over.”

“Are you taking a break right now?” I crossed my arms as I smiled.

“More or less.” Twilight smiled at me, which widened my own smile. “I have never been in a slumber party in my life, and now I’m hosting my first one. I might be a little nervous.”

“It’s your territory, cub,” I placed my hand on her shoulder to reassure her. “You can handle it.”

“Y-Yes…” I noticed that Twilight’s cheeks got slightly red. “They’re my friends. They won’t make fun of me, but I must prove to myself that I can do it. If things go well, I might host my own movie night next time!”

I chuckled. “I must confess that I’m curious about high definition.”

Twilight giggled. “Don’t worry, I am thinking on inviting you to watch a movie another day, just the two ofus...” Her eyes widened. I also noticed that her face turned red before she turned her head to another are of my room all of the sudden. “What’s that over there?” Twilight quickly approached a different shelf, one where I kept my pendant.

I blinked in confusion by her sudden behavior, but I decided to ignore it and walked towards her. "It's... A relic. I brought it from Equestria, actually, my sisters each have one as well. We used to wear it proudly, but now it only brings us bad memories. But we can't just get rid of them either, it's all we have from our home world." I placed a hand on my neck, where my pendant used to be and grimaced. Dammit, I am starting to get emotional in front of Twilight!

“Aria…?” I looked at Twilight when she called me. She had a worried expression.

“I miss the feeling of having it hanging around my neck, but I can’t wear it. Ever again.”

I looked away from my friend. There was the constant fear of the pendants corrupting us again if we used them. After Adagio told me what had happened to her friend, I’m not going to allow myself to be cursed. “If I had a drawer, I would throw it in it to avoid looking at it.”

“I’m sorry…” My friend hugged me, and I returned the embrace.

“It’s a touchy subject. Can’t we just…?” I made eye contact with Twilight. She smiled softly.

“Sure.” She broke the hug and turned her head towards a different shelf, where I kept my books. Well, most of them. Adagio borrowed the Astronomy book I last bought. “You have them organized too.”

“Yes, I just thought, why not?”

Twilight chuckled. “I’m glad you’re making smart use of your free time.” Finally, her eyes met my radio on a table. The same table on which she placed the bag she brought. “What do we have here?”

“That would be my partner for when I need a break from my sisters. It’s an old model, but I can tune in the radio station, play audio cassettes and CDs. Unfortunately, I have to keep the volume low, or else Adagio will ‘confiscate it’.” I said the last while doing the quotes gesture with my hands. Twilight laughed softly before walking closer to the radio. She took one of my CDs. Since I didn’t have much variety, I kept them all on the radio itself.

“’Powerwolves’. So, this is your band, huh?”

“Yup! I have a couple of their albums. You can take one of them if you want to give them a shot.”

She looked at me. “I’ll make sure to bring it back to you next week.”

“Alright.” I nodded. Twilight’s eyes moved to the bag containing my gifts.

“I should be giving this to you, shouldn't I?” Twilight smiled as she took the bag to give it to me.

“Thanks.”

I took the bag and headed towards my bed to sit. My friend did the same. I decided to first unwrap the gift which was of the same size of the framed photo I took with Twilight and my sisters. I really want to see mine with Twilight alone again, so I had no mercy with the wrapping paper.

“You’re throwing the shreds on the floor.”

“I’ll clean it up later.” I replied just as I got rid of the last piece of the paper.

Setting my eyes on the photo brought a smile to my face. It looked even better than I remembered. Our pose was simple. Just Twilight holding her cell phone with a hand, and leaving her free arm hanging. I had both of my hands on my knees and was leaning since I was a little taller than Twilight to fit in the picture. Both of us were smiling, obviously. “I love it…” I commented as I admired the photo.

“I-I’m glad…” I glanced at Twilight since her voice sounded slightly off. She was adjusting her glasses, so her hand was blocking her face. “I printed an extra copy for me. I have it in my room.” She looked at me, fully smiling and intertwining her hands on her back. “Don’t worry, I’m going to hide it during my slumber party.”

“Why? I thought you told your friends about me already?” I asked.

Twilight nodded. “I did, but-” She fixed her eyes on the photo I was holding. “I have noticed that you are usually angry or antisocial when my other friends show up. I also noticed that you only usually smile wh-when…” My friend looked away for a moment before looking back at me, her face was slightly red. “when we’re alone.”

I blinked confusedly. As far as I know, my room is chilly, not hot. “That’s true. Sonata speaks too much and Adagio is teasing with me all the time. It’s hard to be in a good mood while I’m with them. But I have fun with you.” I smiled at her. My friend’s eyes widened before she smiled slightly. “Back to the photo… it’s okay if you don’t want to hide it during that gathering of yours.”

Twilight raised an eyebrow and leaned her head to a side. “Are you sure?”

I took a deep breath before nodding. This will be a big step for me. “Yeah. I mean, I would be asking too much of you if you keep too many secrets from your friends after you told them about me. Let them see it. All I want is to be left alone. Don’t let them mistake it as a free pass to talk to me. I’m not interested in being their friend.”

Twilight remained silent, surely thinking on what I just said. She’s still okay with me not talking to her friends, right? Eventually, she smiled widely at me. “Alright, I can respect that. The least I want to do is to ask you to do something you don’t want. I have no problems if you don’t want to be their friend. I know there’s differences and that people don’t always get along.”

I internally sighed in relief. “Thank you, Sparks.” I said before turning my head around. “I’ll put it on this little table next to my bed right now.” I said as I used the support of the frame to keep it standing.

“You’re placing it on your night table?” I knew it had a name!

“Yes, there’s nothing there and it’s about time to place something.” After setting the photo on it’s spot, I turned to Twilight again. “By the way, Adagio and I came across one of your friends while at the convenience store. The purple haired one.”

Twilight’s eyes widened. “Rarity? Oh, no, she approached you?”

I shook my head. “No, Adagio did.”

My friend blinked in confusion. “She did?” She said before gasping. “Oh, right! She’s not a lone wolf like you.”

I nodded. “Yeah, that’s why Sonata ran after you when we first met. Adagio told me that she has seen your friends multiple times before, but didn’t say anything to them because of me. But since I gave you my approval to reveal our friendship to everyone…”

“I see.” Twilight smiled slightly. “My friends were shocked when I told them about you.” She lost her smile. “They even wanted me to stay away from you.”

She looked back at me, recovering her smile. “But I told them you weren’t mean to me and that they had nothing to fear.”

“Oh…” I dropped my head, ashamed. “I-I should have given you a proper heads-up. D-Did they tell you about what we did…?” I couldn’t bring myself to look at Twilight in the eyes. Maybe they didn’t, since she was still here, happy to be my friend. But if they did… would she try to avoid me…?

“They tried, but I didn’t let them say anything. Sunset backed me up. Whatever happened in the past between you and my friends, I'll hear it from you,” Twilight said with a soft tone to her voice.

I raised my head and looked at Twilight. My eyes were widened in surprise. “You do?”

My friend smiled as she nodded. “Yes, when you’re ready, of course. I know it’s a touchy subject and I would hate pressuring you to tell me.”

A smile spread across my face. Adagio and Sonata are always pushing me to say what’s on my mind. Twilight’s really kind and understanding. I placed a hand on her shoulder to show my appreciation. “I promise you, Twilight, one day, I’ll tell you the whole thing.” I gasped when my friend surprised me with another hug.

“It doesn’t matter when just take your time, Aria.” I returned the hug. So Sunset Shimmer stepped up to support Twilight’s friendship with me? Ugh, does this mean that I have to thank her? My thoughts were cut short when Twilight broke the hug and adjusted her glasses. I think her cheeks were slightly pink. “So, umm… your other gift…”

“Other gift…? Oh, I almost forgot!” I turned to the bag to take my second gift. The size of this box was different. It wasn’t a skinny rectangle like the wrapped frame, more like an overweight smaller cube.

“Call me intrigued.” I smirked at my friend.

“Be careful. It’s very fragile.” Twilight had a huge smile on her face.

“Aye, aye, cub.” I chuckled as I began opening my second gift. “Let’s see what we have.” When I removed the wrapping, I gasped looking at the object. “Twilight… this is… this is…” The image in the box containing my gift was very clear, but I couldn’t believe my eyes.

“Yes, it is.” Only when my friend opened the box did I fully believed it was real. The content was a cell phone. A cell phone!

I glanced at Twilight with my jaw dropped in awe. My friend giggled and smiled in return. “But, Sparks… it’s too much.”

“No, Aria, it’s the perfect gift.” My friend said as she took the cell phone from the box. “I usually don’t know when to call you since I don’t know if you’re home, and the same happens to you. Remember when you called me while I was in class?”

My cheeks flushed. “Y-Yeah, sorry about that.”

“Don’t worry about it.” Twilight pressed a button, turning on the phone. “Now we can avoid that. I can text you and you can too. We can also call each other wherever we are. For example, today I could have sent you a text message before coming to ask if you were home. I had fun with Sonata anyway, but what if neither of you were at home?”

The phone fully turned on. Twilight smiled before giving it to me. “I already configured it for you and installed the basic apps. You can change your wallpaper if you want. I also added the photos I framed in it. The digital versions, I mean.”

“Yeah, I got what you meant.” I smirked and took the phone. Looking at it, I noticed the ‘Powerwolves’ logo on the screen. “Twilight… this is very thoughtful. I don’t know what to say.” I glanced at my friend. She was smiling and flushing again.

“I just thought it would help us to communicate more. If it makes you feel better, the phone isn’t last generation, so it wasn’t expensive at all. But I picked for you since it has more space in its memory, so you can install more games if you want.”

I smiled at her. “Well, thank you.” I said before standing up. Twilight stood up afterwards and I stared at her awkwardly. “So… I suppose I should hug you now…?”

My friend giggled and adjusted her glasses. “If you want.” Smiling, I opened my arms and hugged her. The hug was returned immediately. “I already added my number.” Twilight said before breaking the hug but keeping her hands on my arms. “And in case of emergencies, I also added Sunset’s-” I raised an eyebrow at her. “J-Just for emergencies! I’m not expecting you to call her regularly.”

“Okay.” I smiled at her again before breaking the hug. “Say, we’re going to eat soon. Do you want to stay for dinner?”

Twilight returned the smile. “Really?”

I nodded. “Yeah. Unless you have plans, that is.”

“No, I don’t. Just let me call my parents to let them know.”

“While you do that-” I placed my new phone on the night table before glancing at the door. I’ll brag about my gift after Twilight’s gone. “I’ll let Adagio and Sonata know that you’re staying.

My friend grinned. “Alright, I’ll join you shortly.”

Smirking, I walked out of my room and headed towards the kitchen, where my sisters were talking.

“And I got sooo much better at cooking.” Sonata was talking about her job. “My manager said that he was impressed!”

“Very good, Sonata! I’m proud of you.” Adagio complimented Sonata with a smirk.

“Even so, you’re not touching my hamburgers.” My sisters turned to me when I interrupted them.

“Your hamburgers?” My older sister raised an eyebrow. “We’re going to eat them, not just you.”

“Yeah, yeah.” I said as I sat by the table. “By the way, add another plate on the table. Twilight will eat with us.”

“Is that so?” Adagio smirked and looked at Sonata, who snickered. What are they planning?

I sighed. “Alright, what’s the fuzz now?”

“Fuzz?” Our leader blinked her eyes several times, faking confusion. “There’s nothing going on here. We’re happy that you invited your beloved friend to eat with us.” At this point, Sonata laughed harder.

“I think you’re supposed to invite her to eat outside on first dates!”

“Sonata!” My cheeks got insanely hot as I stood up, slamming my hands on the table. “Stop implying that we’re dating!”

“Moving on…” Adagio stood up as well, crossing her arms. “I’ll get started with the hamburgers. Aria, be a nice girl and wash the dishes.”

I groaned as I walked towards the sink. It’s my turn to wash them, so I can’t decline. Just as I washed the last plate, Twilight walked into the kitchen.

“My parents agreed to let me stay. My father will pick me up later.”

“Oh, Twilight, we’re so delighted that you’re joining us for dinner!” My older sister smiled at my friend while keeping the spatula on the burger.

“Yeah, we never have guests over! This will be so exciting!”

“I’m excited too.” My friend said as she sat. She gazed at Adagio by the kitchen. “Oh, we’re having hamburgers! I love them!”

I smiled proudly and turned to Adagio. “See? She gets it.”

My older sister frowned at me before opening the fridge. She took the ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise from it and brought them to the table. “Is there a particular dressing you enjoy the most?”

“Hmm…” Twilight looked at the dressings. “I usually stick to mayonnaise and avoid mustard. I don’t mind ketchup, though.”

“Is that so?” Adagio smiled maliciously at me. I widened my eyes in surprise by this. She then leaned closer to my ear and whispered. “She’s a keeper.”

Once again, my body heated up, but I wasn’t so certain if it was anger or something else. I had to put up with it for now to not make a scene in front of our guests. I’ll erase their smiles once I show them my cell phone. That thought made me recover my smile.

Author's Note:

Three Rainbooms down, four to go! :pinkiehappy:

In case you’re worried, Aria’s past will be resolved quickly, since I already have Twilight’s nightmares to work on :twilightblush:

Also, I worked extra hard to bring this chapter sooner. I had Lots of inspiration this time! :rainbowkiss:

I want to thank zalla661 for editing this chapter and Windsor for proofreading it :twilightsmile:

P.S. In case there's doubts, Aria did mention her favorite punk band back in the chapter called "Afternoon at Twilight's" :twilightsmile: