• Published 25th Oct 2018
  • 4,077 Views, 956 Comments

My Chemical Reaction - MysteriousStranger



Still recovering from the Midnight Sparkle incident, Twilight seeks to distract herself with a new book she's eager to read, but she soon discovers that she's not the only one interested in it.

  • ...
11
 956
 4,077

Hatchday Party

Twilight’s POV

Tomorrow’s the big day, it’s the birthday of Aria and her sisters, or rather hatchday as they liked to call it. I thought it was nice that they had a special name for their birthday. It made it unique, and served to remind me that Aria and her sister’s weren’t humans, nor from our world. Earlier I went out and got Aria the perfect gift. It’s something she will want to open in private so I called her after buying it to ask if I could bring it over. After setting up the time I planned on wrapping the gift before heading over.

“Twilight-” Spike said while he watched me work from the bed. “Why are you wrapping the gift yourself? Couldn’t you have asked someone to do it at the store you bought it from?”

I giggled at Spike's simplistic view of the world, and patted his head.

“It’s more personal this way!” I grinned at my pet. “I want to put all my heart into this.”

My pet continued watching me in silence as I gathered the supplies I needed to wrap the present. I got purple wrapping paper and teal green ribbon, and took my time with it meticulously folding each edge with great precision getting nice crisp holds. I then carefully folded the ends and placed small strips of tape to hold them in place on the box. With the teal ribbon, I wrapped the present with nice teal stripes that reminded me of Aria’s hair, and topped it off with a neat bow. Once finished I took a moment to examine my work, and cracked a smile at it. It was perfect!

“Done!” I exclaimed triumphantly as I proudly placed my hands on my hips and glanced at the clock in my phone. “And with ten minutes to spare. Nice job, Twilight!” I high fived myself.

Spike stood on the bed and stretched himself, giving a quick shake. He then jumped off my bed, approaching me with a wag in his tail. “Great! We’re off to Aria’s, then?”

I turned to him. “You want to come with me?”

“Please!” Spike jumped into my arms. “I only met Aria, and I want to see her sisters!” he started to lick my face, causing me to giggle.

“Okay, okay! I’ll take you, but only if it’s alright with Aria and her sisters.” I lifted him into the air. He was wagging his tail happily.

I pushed my nose to his, rubbing him, after which I sat on my bed and placed him on my lap. I grabbed my phone to call Aria. I felt eager as I dialed her number feeling excited to hear her voice. I waited to hear the ring in my ear from the phone, with each one I waited expectantly to hear my alpha again.

“Hello?”

“Hey Aria! It’s me Twilight!” I said with a bounce.

Aria laughed over the phone. “Yeah, I know. I have you in my contacts, remember? What’s up?”

I blushed, of course. I was the one who added my number on her phone. Recovering from that, I cleared my throat to speak. “Oh, you know.... Just wanted to hear your voice again.”

“Heh, come on, Sparks. I know you better than that. We talk all the time, and I know you aren’t that clingy-”

I gasped at the mocking offense. “Aria! I am not clingy!”

We both laughed at my joke.

“Anyways, all seriousness, the real reason I’m calling is to ask if it’d be okay to bring Spike with me to your place when I come over?” I asked, ruffling his head.

“I don’t see why not. I miss the little guy,” Aria said, and Spike barked into the speaker. “Ha, hey there Spike!”

“Down, Spike. Are you sure about this? Won’t he bother your sisters?”

“Ha! Sonata would love him. The only concern is he might annoy Adagio…” There was a few seconds pause and for a moment I thought I lost the call before Aria broke the silence. “Yes, definitely bring him with you. I wanna see the little guy.”

I titled my head feeling like I missed something. I shrugged and gave Spike a look with a thumbs up. He paw pumped. “Okay, Spike’s excited too. We’ll see you soon!”

“See you, cub!”

I ended the call and put it in my purse. I picked him up and hugged him. “We’re good to go, Spike. We’ll have to take the bus to Aria’s place. She lives too far away for you to walk.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll stay still so we’re not kicked out from the bus.”

“Good boy.” I said before kissing his forehead and placing him back on the floor. I took Aria’s gift and walked out of my room with my pet following close behind. After walking down the stairs, I came across my father who was sitting in his comfy chair.

“Hi there, kiddo. You’re taking the gift to your girlfriend? I thought that her birthday was tomorrow?”

“It is, but this is a gift I want to give her in private.” I said, with a smile. “I’m going with Spike. I’ll be back soon!”

“I sure hope so. Your mother and I will be waiting for you to tune in to the movie marathon.”

I smiled wider. “I wouldn’t miss the Trek Wars trilogy movies for anything.”

“True. Your mom is ready to call your brother if you don’t show up.” My father’s comment made me giggle. “Bye you two!”

He waved at me and Spike as I walked towards the door.

“Bye, dad!” I waved back before walking out of my house and heading to the bus station. I couldn’t wait to give Aria her gift.


True to his word, Spike stayed close to me and was allowed to ride the bus since he remained resting on my lap. Watching the surroundings, I noticed that he felt a little bit uneasy, but he didn’t say anything until we reached Aria’s home. “This is it, Spike.”

My pet took a look at the sirens’ home. “They live here? It looks… quaint.”

I giggled softly. “It’s a nice place, you’ll see.” I said before knocking on the door. I heard Adagio’s voice on the other side.

“Please, Aria, would you kindly open the door?”

“Don’t test me.” I heard Aria reply behind the door

I heard loud heavy footsteps approaching, then, the door opened. Excited to see my girlfriend, I grinned and was ready to tackle her with a hug, but my jaw dropped in confusion when I saw her. Ever since we met I’ve seen Aria, her wardrobe has never been very diverse, but today I saw her in a whole new light. She had donned a suit, one a butler would wear in an anime be exact, with a vest and everything. She looked dashing. When my girlfriend realized who I was, she gasped and blushed with embarrassment trying to hide herself.

“Sparks?! I didn’t think you’d be here so quickly!” She quickly waved her hands around. “Wait, don’t look at me!”

Before I could say anything, she shut the door on my face, leaving me even more confused, but amused.

“What just happened?” Spike was as confused as I was.

I giggled shrugging. I’m sure she was just embarrassed that I saw her dressed like that.

“Aria, what did you do?!” Adagio scolded her sister.

“I forgot Twilight was coming over! I have to change! I can’t let her see me like this!”

“What’s wrong with your outfit? Just let her in.” I heard Adagio say on the other side of the door. “Fine, I’ll let her in.”

“Adagio, don’t-!” Despite Aria’s protests, the door opened completely, with Adagio on the other side. She was dressed differently too, like a maid!

“Twilight! What a pleasure!” She gave me a quick hug before looking at me, noticing my shocked expression. “What’s with that face?”

Was she seriously asking that? I was so confused I wasn’t sure what to even ask. So, I did the only logical thing I could come up with.

“What’s going on!? Why is Aria dressed like that!? Why are YOU dressed like this!?” I frantically asked.

“Oh?” Adagio looked down at her outfit. It was a short skirt light brown maid uniform with long stockings and a tie on an apron. She had a cute bow around her neck too, and I was shocked by how cute she looked.

She gave me a golden smile waving her hand over herself and ended with a twirl. “Oh, this! We’re celebrating hatchday in private before our friends come tomorrow!”

My confusion didn’t vanish. “That doesn’t really answer my question.”

“Come in, I’ll explain.”

I nodded and followed Adagio inside with Spike at my heels. Aria was leaning with her arms crossed against the frame of the door leading to the kitchen, but Sonata was nowhere to be seen. I was about to ask about her, when the older siren and I sat on the couch in the living room. Spike hopped on my lap and Adagio spoke. “Back in Equestria we never cared about our hatchday. It wasn’t relevant to our survival so we never celebrated it like humans or rather ponies did. So with our new lives here, I decided to celebrate them, but with a nice twist!”

“What twist?” I asked her, but Aria cut in.

“Each year one of us will be the focus of the celebration. From younger to older.” She said without moving from where she was. “This year it was Sonata's, and Adagio forced me to dress like this.”

“The best idea I had. Besides we’re doing it for Sonata.” Adagio smiled proudly.

“So… you’re celebrating around Sonata?” I spoke again. “That’s so sweet!”

Adagio nodded. “Yes, she’s in the kitchen right now, having tea and biscuits.”

“Can I say hello to her? I smiled.

“Sure.” Adagio said before standing up. She took the lead and I didn’t hesitate to walk towards my girlfriend. Aria looked amazing with that suit on. She was not a big girl by any means, but that suit made her look taller and more handsome than anything.

She smiled at me but before I could reach her, Spike jumped into her arms. So far it seems that Adagio didn’t notice him. When I was next to Aria, I wrapped an arm around hers.

“Sonata, we have a visitor.” The older siren said as we entered the kitchen.

Sonata turned to us and grinned. She was wearing a party hat, leaning to one side of her head. She was also wearing a frilly European styled sundress with cute stockings and cute little shoes with little bows. I have to admit, she looked very cute. “Twilight, hello! Oh!” She noticed Spike. “Who’s that little pup?”

“Little what?” Adagio followed Sonata’s gaze and spotted my pet. “I didn’t know you brought your dog, Twilight.”

I chuckled covering my mouth. “Sorry! His name’s Spike. He wanted to come. Aria said it was fine.”

“Oh? Did she now?” Adagio asked, giving my girlfriend a stern glare.

Aria chuckled, shrugging. “What? I knew it would annoy you.”

Sonata and I giggled as Adagio slapped her hand over her own face. “Of course you did.”

I cringed, feeling I might have crossed a line. “I’m sorry Adagio. I tought-”

She held up her hand turning looking at me with her signature kind smile, even hugging me gently comfortingly. “Don’t worry dear. I know it wasn’t your fault.” She hissed the last part at Aria, who shrugged, with a smug smile.

Sonata finished chewing her biscuit wiped her mouth and came running to me to give me a big hug. I barely had the time to release Aria’s arm as I was almost tackled to the ground by the strong little siren.

“I’m always happy to see you! Are you staying? Can I pet your dog?” Sonata asked as she pulled away. It was then when she noticed the gift I was holding. “Is that for me?”

“What?” I looked at the box I was carrying. I almost forgot about it. “Sorry no, this is for Aria. I got her something she won’t want to open tomorrow surrounded by so many people.”

“Oh, Twilight, you do care.” Aria joked while looking at me.

“Of course I do.” I smiled at her.

“What about us?” Sonata asked, pouting. “No early gift for me or Adagio?”

“You two will have to wait until tomorrow. You’re not lone wolves like Aria.” I said hugging Sonata back. “I promise I got you both something great.”

“Lone wolves?” Adagio raised an eyebrow and then groaned. “Aria, I can’t believe you also got her to speak like that. I thought you were finally over this ridiculous ‘lone wolf’ thing?”

“Sue me.” My girlfriend said before putting Spike on the ground.

My dog went straight to Sonata’s arms, leaping into her and started licking her face as soon as he was in reach. She started to giggle, petting him as Aria placed an arm around my waist to lead me to her room.

“Aria, where are you going?” Sonata asked while carrying Spike.

“Just need a moment of privacy. I’ll be back.”

When we arrived Aria opened the door for me, allowing me to walk in first. Even going so far as to bow for me.

“After you, miss.”

“Why, thank you.” I smiled at her as I walked past her.

She closed the door behind me and I approached her bed and placed her gift on it before turning around. As soon as I did so, I gasped. I was barely able to see Aria dashing towards me when she placed her arms around my waist and gave me a big kiss. I didn’t even have the chance to react and kiss her back when she pulled away and hugged me.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you thank you so much for showing up, Sparks! I needed a break. My sisters are driving me crazy!” She moved her head in order to make eye contact with me. She looked like a rabid wolverine with crazy eyes. “Since waking up, Sonata has been making demands every second she can and Adagio is repeating ‘would you kindly’ over and over again. I don’t know how I managed to not beat my head over with a blunt object yet!”

“Oh, Aria, I’m so sorry to hear that!” I petted her head comfortingly. I can’t believe I was able to keep my face straight. It wouldn’t be nice for me to laugh when she looks so distressed.

“I would probably be able to hold myself better if Adagio didn’t force me to wear this stupid outfit! I mean, look at me!” I took a glance at her. Truth to be told, she does look weird like this. It’s not the style I’m used to seeing on her but I found the suit to be a good fit. It gave her a masculine quality and made her look dashing, like a secret agent from one of my favorite spy movies, Double O Spy.

“I know, you don’t look like yourself, but you don’t look too bad either. I mean, at least Adagio had mercy and allowed you to wear pants.”

Aria chuckled. “Hmm, I suppose you’re right. I would never have accepted anything less.”

“You really hate exposure, don’t you? I think you’d look good in a cute maid outfit.” I said as I wrapped my arms around her neck. As usual, I had to tiptoe to reach.

“Not every girl enjoys it, Sparks.” My girlfriend replied with a smirk as she pulled me closer. “It’s natural for you, but for me it’s… weird. I know you got speechless with my legs, but it’s not for me.”

I blushed deeply, remembering how in awe I was when I saw her with her swimsuit. “I won’t be the kind of girlfriend who tells you how to dress. Don't worry.”

“Thank you.” Aria said as she stroked my hair. I feel like I’m melting into her!

“What about you, Aria?” I asked as I closed my eyes, enjoying her touch.

“What about me?” Aria sounded confused, so I looked at her with a beaming smile.

“Is there anything particular you find attractive about me?”

“Oh!” Aria’s eyes widened as she blushed deeply. “I-I...”

I remained silent, allowing her to speak when she was ready. While waiting, I could keep looking at her from up close, pushing my face close to hers. “So, tell me what you find attractive about me?” That seemed to make her even more nervous. She was blushing beet red, I bet her cheeks were burning.

“W-Well… there is one thing.”

“Please, do tell.” I leaned closer to her, which complicated things for my girlfriend. I topped it off with a playful grin gently rubbing her tie.

“U-Uh, I… me...” Am I mean for enjoying this? Just in case, I pulled away a little bit. I think it did the trick because Aria cleared her throat and was able to continue. “I like… y-your eyes.”

I blinked, surprised. “My eyes? I thought you liked something embarrassing. Something you can’t normally see, like me?”

“I do.” My girlfriend smiled, still a little embarrassed trying not to stare. I giggled watching her breath heavily and trying hard to come up with something to say. I was enjoying this to much. Then, after a minute, she spoke. “I like your eyes without your glasses. They’re the reason I realized my feelings for you after all.”

Now I was the one feeling the burn in my cheeks. “R-Really?” Aria nodded, smiling. “I can’t see much without my glasses, but I think I could switch to contacts and-”

“You don’t have to do that.” My girlfriend interrupted me. She cupped my cheek with a hand while keeping her smile intact. “Just like you don’t want to tell me how to dress, I don’t want you to change for me. Besides, you still look cute with your glasses.” I could feel my body getting hotter as she kissed my nose.

“A-Aria...”

“Yes, cub?” Aria said while playing with my hair. She’s so adorable.

“C-Could you open your gift before I pass out?”

“Hmm...” She narrowed her eyes in thought without removing her fingers from my hair.

My heart was beating so fast I was sure it would burst from my chest. Aria was grinning at me and I felt my body heat up and I puffed my cheeks at her. After a few moments, she shrugged. “Alright, I’ll show mercy.”

I sighed, relieved. “Thank you. I really want to be awake when you see what I got you.”

“Fair enough.” She rubbed my hair one last time before breaking the hug and turning to her bed. Together, we walked closer to her gift. She sat down with me at her side and put the box on her lap to start opening it while I sat next to her.

“I wrapped it myself.” I commented with a beaming smile.

“Then I’ll be gentle with it. ”Aria replied. She took her time to unwrap the gift. She stared at the present. She looked at it for a while like she wasn’t sure what to make of it, even rubbing her chin inquisitively. I giggled as she scratched her head looking at the bow.

“This seems oddly familiar. Why?” She asked herself, still scratching her head.

I giggled. “I made the colors match your hair silly!”

Aria looked at her own hair then at the gift. A look of realization came over her face and she leaned into my side, wrapping her arm around me and kissed the top of my head.

“Aw, thanks, cub. That was really sweet of you. I liked that,” She said, placing the gift on her lap. “Here it goes…”

I placed a hand on her shoulder and squeezed it affictionaly. My girlfriend took a deep breath before unwrapping the bow and ribbon. Then she slowly unwrapped one corner of the paper before ripping half of it off and pulling a brown box out of the other half. She slowly opened the box and gazed inside the box. She gasped upon seeing what was inside. I grinned while Aria took out her gift, a medium sized wolf plushie. She looked at me, still with her jaw dropped in awe.

“Sparks...”

“I figured plushies aren’t your thing, but when I saw this one on display I just had to get it for you.”

Aria smiled. “I love it!”

“You do?” my own smile widened.

My girlfriend nodded and dropped the box to hold her new plushie. “Very much. I’m going to look after it, clean it and make sure it doesn’t break!” She hugged the toy, how cute! “I’ll even allow you to name it, like you did with your childhood toys.”

“M-Me?” I blinked, surprised.

“Yeah.” Aria said as she stroked my hair. “It can be any name.”

“Hmm...” I placed a hand on the plushie’s head. I need a name that asserts dominance, strength, valor… let me see… oh! I got it! I think I got it. “How about… Cynthia?”

“Cynthia?” My girlfriend looked at me to her toy. She gazed at it for a few moments before smiling again. “Yeah, I think that name is perfect.”

I returned her smile and scooted closer to her so I could lay my head on her shoulder and pet Cynthia, the plushie. “You’re in good hands, wolfie. Aria is devoted to her kin.”

Aria chuckled at my comment. “It’s true, Cynthia. Sonata won’t hurt you under my protection.”

I kissed Aria on her cheek before standing up. “I hate leaving so soon, but I have a movie marathon with my parents back home, and-”

My girlfriend cut me by raising her hand, hugging the plushie. “Say no more, cub. I know movies are more important than me.”

“Oh, har har,” I put a hand on my hip glaring at my girlfriend, who just smiled back. "We can have a movie marathon of our own another day”

“I'll look forward to it.”

“Okay.” I gave her another kiss. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“See you then, Sparks.” After giving her a quick hug, I turned around and approached the door. I glanced back at her one last time and she waved at me. Smiling, I walked out of the room and headed towards the kitchen to pick up Spike. When I entered the kitchen, I was greeted with a lovely sight. Spike was with his back on the floor and Sonata was giving him belly rubs while Adagio watched with a bowl of water on the floor.

“Since you’re cute and are such a good boy, you’re getting lots of belly rubs!” Sonata said while she kept petting Spike.

"More! Please, more rubs!" My pet said as he kicked into the air, enjoying the attention. I didn’t want to interrupt, but Adagio saw me and waved me over.

“Oh, you’re leaving?” She asked.

Sonata and Spike looked at me as well.

“Yeah, I’ll be back tomorrow for the hatchday party.” I said, while Spike got on his fours and ran to me, tail wagging.

“Can you bring me again another time, please?" Spike said as I picked him up.

“He can come as long as you let me know beforehand.” Adagio said with a smile.

“I will, don't worry." I assured my friend. "Say goodbye, Spike."

"Goodbye!" My pet barked once and Adagio and Sonata waved.

"Goodbye!" Sonata said. “Best. Dog. Ever!” She cheered cheered before turning to her sister. “Dagi, can I get one, please?”

“There’s no such thing as talking dogs in this world, Sonata.” The younger siren pouted, which didn’t bring Adagio any joy. “But… a pet is not a bad idea. I’ll think about what kind of animal you could have, and-” She got interrupted by Sonata’s sudden hug.

“Yay! Thank you, Dagi!”

I chuckled, amused. “My friend Fluttershy could help you with that.”

The eldest siren looked at me. “Oh, right, I remember her. I might ask her when I see her tomorrow.”

I smiled and picked up Spike. “She will love to help you.” I glanced at the clock and gasped. “Oh, hubble! I have to go!” I waved at them and turned around. “Bye, see you tomorrow!”

“Bye!” The sirens waved at me as I left. I walked out to the road walking along the sidewalk to get back to the bus making sure to keep Spike with me at all times. Spike looked at me while we headed to a bus stop.

“So? What did Aria think of her gift?”

“She loved it.” I scratched his head.

“I knew she would.” My pet wagged his tail and I kept petting him. I can’t wait until the party tomorrow! I hope my friends respect her space. When my thoughts feel on a certain individual from my friends, my heart sank a little with worry. “I hope Rainbow doesn’t do anything rash.”


“Happy hatchday!” Pinkie Pie shouted as an explosion of confetti popped around her as soon as Adagio opened the door. Bits of confetti landed in the older siren who let out a strained smile, clearly razzled from Pinkie's over the top entrance.

“I’m glad to see all of you made it.” Adagio said while smiling.

“Of course, darling. We love friendly gatherings.” Rarity waved as she walked in, giving Adagio a quick hug. Meanwhile, Pinkie Pie rushed in to hug Sonata while the rest of us entered the house calmly, making sure not to leave a path of destruction in our wake.

“You have a nice house.” Sunset commented while looking around.

“It’s… a good place, yes.” Trixie added. Sunset had an arm around her shoulder.

“Are you sure you don’t mind us coming?” Applejack asked, worried. “Ah know we might not be entirely welcome here.”

“Nonsense.” Adagio replied with a sincere smile. “You’re welcome here. Just ignore Aria, she’s being moody.”

We looked around and as I figured, she wasn’t anywhere to be seen. Knowing my lone wolf, she was probably in her room brooding over the previous day of pampering her sister's needs. I giggled as I thought of her huddling in her bed and pouting while listening to metal music.

“I’m guessing she’s in her room right?” I asked Adagio.

The eldest siren glanced at me with a sweet smile and an affirmative nod.

I felt myself deflate. “Awww. I really wanted to see her tonight.”

Adagio placed a hand comfortingly on my shoulder, gently squeezing it. I looked up and she instantly made me feel better with that amazing smile, without saying a word. I thought of how wonderful having such kind sisters must be like when Adagio pointed back towards where Aria’s room was. “Yes, but I’m sure she wouldn’t mind to see you.”

My friends turned to me, some of them smirking knowingly, making me blush. “I-I will later. I’m here to spend time with you and Sonata too.” I hugged Adagio, and she returned the hug after a momentary delay.

“Very well. Follow me, then.” Adagio separated and turned around to guide us to the kitchen, where Pinkie Pie and Sonata were chatting lightheartedly. “We have snacks and drinks here. There’s more on a table I set at the living room.”

“Ah brought an apple pie from my granny. Do ah leave it here?” Applejack asked, revealing a steaming pie in a basket.

“Sure. I’ll cut it in slices later.” Applejack nodded at Adagio’s words and placed the pie on the table. I asked Applejack to bring it. It’s my surprise for Aria, if she ever leaves her den. I hoped she would really like Applejack’s family pie. Now that I know about her sweet tooth, I was going to abuse it for what it was worth.

Just then my friend Rainbow cut in.

“So… we’ll chat and dance?” Rainbow Dash asked. Her arms were crossed and her eyes were narrowed and full of suspicion, I think? I could never tell with Rainbow. She was… polarizing at times.

“Yes. Isn’t that what humans do in parties?” The elder siren replied with signs of confusion.

“I would like to sit down, if you don’t mind.” Fluttershy said with her usual quiet tone.

“By all means.” Adagio said as she guided our timid friend to the chair. As soon as she sat, Pinkie Pie gave her a snack and shortly after Sonata gave her a glass of water.

“Th-Thank you.” Fluttershy smiled lightly. I glanced at Rainbow Dash and noticed that she was watching the food closely.

“It’s just food, Rainbow. Nothing to be suspicious about.” I said as I placed a hand on her shoulder eating a chip.

She opened her mouth to say something, but knowing my friend, I held up my hand stopping her from getting a word out. “It’s not laced with rat poison either.” My athletic friend kept staring at the food before groaning and walking out of the kitchen.

“What’s up with her?” Adagio asked. Both she and Sonata seemed confused by Rainbow's behavior. I sighed, rubbing the ridge of my nose.

“She’s the only one of us who still has reservations about you.” Applejack replied as she frowned at the door Rainbow Dash just used. After a moment, she sighed and turned to the elder siren again. “Sorry ‘bout that.”

“Don’t need to apologize, Jackie. Her worries aren’t without foundation.” Adagio said with a beaming smile. I could see one of Applejack’s eyes twitching. Right. Only Rarity and Pinkie Pie are allowed to call her that, but she’s too nice to say something about it. I was about to say something, when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around and saw that Rarity was calling for my attention.

“Twilight, a word?”

Her seriousness got me confused. “Umm, sure…?”

Rarity smiled to show her appreciation. We left the kitchen and found Rainbow nearby. Rarity grabbed Rainbow Dash from her shoulder. “Come here, Rainbow.”

“Hey, what gives?!” Rainbow Dash’s complaints were ignored as Rarity dragged her further away from the kitchen while I followed behind. Once safe, the fashionista released our athletic friend. “What was that for, Rarity?”

“Rainbow, please, you have to keep your crazy conspiracy theories under control. The sirens mean well. Why else would they invite us to their home?”

“Are you serious? Am I seriously the only one who is cautious here?” Rainbow Dash crossed her arms, frowning angrily and stomping her foot. “I’m just-”

“Rainbow Barbara Dash! You’re hurting their feelings.” Rarity interrupted Rainbow speaking firmly to her. “Adagio has told me that she and her sisters have moved on. They hold no pride in their past actions and want just to forget about it. Keep this nonsense to yourself. You promised it!”

“I-” Our friend tried to speak, but I interrupted her.

“Rainbow-” This must be why Rarity brought me along. “Aria told me everything. I know where you’re coming from, but they left all that behind.”

“We’ve discussed this before, Rainbow and frankly I’m getting tired of repeating it.” Rarity sighed daintily. “Please, do listen to us this time. You don’t need to be their friend but don’t treat them like enemies either. They have feelings.”

“It’s rare to see us sad.” A familiar voice joined in. We all turned to the source to find my girlfriend standing nearby, arms crossed and frowning at Rainbow. I didn’t even notice her approach. “I won’t stand still if you hurt them in any way, mark my words.”

Rainbow Dash got into a defensive stance and glanced from Aria to me. “Is she threatening me?”

“Not without reason.” I said cautiously not wanting to set Rainbow off due to a misunderstanding.

“If anyone hurts my Sweetums, I assure you, I wouldn’t be so kind either.” Rarity took my side as well. Outnumbered, Rainbow Dash glanced at each of us before sighing in defeat.

“Fine, I got the message. I’ll… think about it. I'll really keep my word.”

Rarity sighed and rested her hand on her forehead. “I suppose that’s better than nothing. Let’s return with the others before they start to worry.” Rainbow Dash glanced at Aria one last time before following Rarity in silence. I stayed behind, though. Aria smiled at me as soon as my friends were out of the room.

“The one Rainboom I’m always happy to see.” She said without moving from her spot, so I had to close the distance.

“Happy hatchday, Aria. It’s good to see you dressed normal again.” I took both of her hands as soon as they were in reach.

I looked over her to see her in her usual attire. Sparkling purple pants, white tank top with her torn sleeveless green vest, and more belts than anyone could ever need to wear at one time. I squeezed her hands, our fingers tenderly rubbing against one another exchanging smiles in silence.

“I wish that was a one time thing, but I really doubt it.” My girlfriend said as she touched noses with me. "It was too masculine for me."

I giggled. “You sure know how to make an entrance. Stepping in to protect your sisters.”

“I have a sixth sense when it comes to someone I care about being in distress.” She smiled, puffing her chest out proudly. I rolled my eyes and poked her tummy in response giving her a stern look.

“That or you could smell the sweet desserts my friends and I brought and you tried to sneak to get some.”

Aria blushed and looked away. “Th-That… uh...”

I giggled raising a brow at her. I had caught her red handed, and she had no defense for it. Seeing her flounder made me smile. I decided to show mercy this time and kissed her cheek to calm her down. “Don’t worry, I won’t tell them. Shall I bring you a slice of pie?”

“Please, and some water would be nice too.”

“I’ll be right back.” After letting Aria go, I walked back to the kitchen. Fortunately, Adagio was already cutting the pie in slices. Fluttershy was still sitting where she was before, while Pinkie Pie and Sonata surrounded Rainbow Dash. I noticed Rainbow was at least trying to talk with Sonata. Sunset was next to Adagio and Trixie, Applejack and Rarity were chatting near me. I couldn’t help but to grin. Except Aria, all of my friends were so happy to be gathered, and it warmed my heart. I only hoped that one day I could get Aria to join us like this and be one happy family.


A couple of hours later, the party was still in full swing. Aria was able to eat her pie before the party moved to the living room. Now with music, some of my friends decided to dance. I split my time between Aria and my friends. First, I went to see Rarity, Adagio and Applejack.

“Are you having a good time, Twilight?” Adagio asked as soon as I reached them.

“I am.” Smiling, I looked around.

Sonata had her eyes covered and was playing ‘Put the Tail on the Donkey’ with Pinkie Pie and Trixie guiding them, with Aria watching nearby. Sunset and Fluttershy were on the other side of the room, dancing, with Rainbow Dash standing nearby. I could see my athletic friend looking just a little bit uneasy. “I’m glad everyone’s getting along. Well, for the most part.”

“Give it time, darling.” Rarity said.

“Yeah, Rainbow is stubborn but she ain’t stupid.” Applejack said before taking a sip of her drink. “Once she sees that the Dazzlings are fine, she’ll change her attitude.”

“Dazzlings?” Adagio smiled. “It has been a while since I last heard that name.”

“An original name.” Rarity turned to Adagio. “Too bad you don’t have a reason to use it anymore.”

“Can’t have a band without real talent.” The elder siren sighed. “It’s no matter. I would rather forget all about it, although I wouldn’t mind being able to sing again, minus the dark magic.”

“Maybe if you practice on a regular basis?” I said. Adagio shrugged. She was about to answer when the music changed and Rarity lit up.

“I love this song!” My girly friend said before turning to Applejack. “Jackie, come dance with me!”

“But ah’m not finished with mah drink- Aaaah!” Rarity took Applejack from her wrist and pulled her closer to the music player to dance. Our farmer friend dropped the drink as she got dragged. I got on my knees to pick up the cup.

“There’s a stain on the floor...” I said when I saw the remains of Applejack’s juice.

“Leave it be. I’ll clean it later.” Adagio smiled and moved her daze towards Applejack and Rarity dancing. “Young love is heartwarming, don’t you think?”

“Love?” I stood up again, empty cup in hand. Knowing who she was talking about, I laughed softly. “Oh, no, no. Rarity and Applejack aren’t dating. They’re just very close. They have known each other since kindergarten.”

“Really?” Adagio glanced at me, surprised. I nodded and she turned again to see our friends. “Could have fooled me.”

I stepped closer to Adagio. “It’s funny, actually. Rainbow Dash usually jokes with them treating them as a couple to annoy them. Applejack doesn’t find it as amusing, though.”

“Hmm… interesting.” I saw the siren’s smile turn into a smirk, which confused me.

“What? You think they might have feelings for real?”

“Maybe. Maybe not.” Adagio looked at me again. “People can show affection with friends differently. Sonata and Pinkie Pie don’t hesitate to jump into them with a hug. I show my affection for Aria and anybody else by teasing them, while I’m soft with Sonata and Rarity is quite fond of the word ‘darling’, but she has a special nickname for Applejack.”

I reflected on Adagio’s words and based on personal experience I could see the logic behind it. Pinkie Pie also calls Applejack ‘Jackie’, but she’s Pinkie Pie. If anybody else calls her that, Applejack gets angry, and I mean really angry. “Can you tell if there’s real feelings just by a nickname?”

“It’s a theory. I could be wrong.” Adagio placed a hand on her hip and smirked even wider. “Speaking of nicknames...” She added while looking behind me.

Confused again, I raised an eyebrow. I was about to turn around when I felt an arm around my shoulder.

“Hey, Adagio, mind if I steal my wolf cub from you for a minute?” Aria asked, tugging me along.

I blushed deep red, covering my face with both of my hands. “A-Aria!”

The elder siren chuckled. “Go ahead, by the way that’s a cute nickname you got for her, Aria.” She said before taking the empty cup from my hand and I felt my cheeks burn. I was ganged up on! “I’ll throw this into the trash can.” I peeked from my hand to see Adagio wink at me before leaving. This was so embarrassing!

“Come join me.” Aria said, leading me into the middle of the room.

“Is there something you need, Aria?” I asked when I was finally able to remove my hands from my face. “Besides trolling me with your sister?”

“No, I just wanted to hold you, and to get back at you for that sweet comment you made,” My girlfriend said grinning as she took both of my hands. “And talk, but you were busy.”

“That’s what happens when you have so many friends. I had to divide my time.”

“I don’t envy you, Sparks.” Aria said with a smile. “You know, this party isn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Your friends have waved at me, but other than that, they have respected my distance.”

I was glad to hear that. At first I was worried that either Pinkie and Sonata would drive Aria mad and I would have to intervene. When that didn’t happen I began to worry about Rainbow Dash doing something crazy, but thankfully she hasn’t done anything. Not yet at least.

“Because they’re good people.” I said as I glanced at my friends. They all kept having fun, but I could see Rainbow Dash looking at us. Her face expression was unreadable. I decided to let her be for the time being so I turned back to Aria. “Despite your history, they still want to start over, which is why they’re all here.”

“That’s… nice of them, but friends are not for me.” She looked away as she said that. I noticed that she didn’t really look angry.

“Is there a reason for that or you were never a people per- err, siren?”

Aria smiled a bit. “There’s… a reason. But I’m not comfortable talking about it right now. Too many people around. I promise, I won’t be evasive this time.”

“I believe you.” I said as I squeezed her hands. Aria kissed my forehead before speaking again.

“I’ll be right back. I need to use the bathroom.”

“Okay.” I smiled as my girlfriend walked away.

While I waited, I felt parched so went to look for a drink at the kitchen. I found a bottle of cider and got a quick drink in a cup. After taking a sip, I heard someone clearing their throat from behind me. I turned around and found Rainbow Dash by the door looking a bit nervous . “Rainbow? What’s-?”

“I’m sorry.” My athletic friend interrupted me.

I raised an eyebrow, confused. “Excuse me?”

My friend sighed and approached me. She had her arms crossed and was avoiding my gaze. She didn’t look at me until she was right in front of me. She didn’t say anything for several moments. I didn’t push her. “I have been thinking about the sirens, how everyone gets along with them, how different they are. Here, at the party, they have been so friendly despite my distrust. I just don’t see what you see in them.”

I blinked, dumbfounded. I never expected her to push so hard on this subject, she was very much like Aria. Prideful and very stubborn. I tapped my chin thinking that maybe I could help her see more into Aria’s personality and help bridge the gap between them. It was a long shot, but I would try. I just needed to show her how much they were alike and knew just what to say after thinking back on past events I’ve had with Aria.

“Rainbow, do you remember when I told you about going back to my old school to get some of my old things?” I asked, knowing the answer already.

Rainbow nodded and I continued.

“When I ran into my old classmates they bullied me. Called me names. They made me feel so small and pathetic I just wanted to curl up into a ball and cry. If I was alone I would have probably done just that, but I didn’t. Do you know why?”

She shook her head at me and shrugged. I took off my glasses and wiped them before raising them overhead to see if the lens was clear.

“I didn’t cry because Aria was there. She protected me,” I held up a hand pausing her from interrupting my story. I felt bad doing that to Rainbow so much, but I needed her to listen. “Aria went too far but the new principal, Cadence, my old babysitter stopped her. And that’s not all.”

I looked over at Sonata who was hanging her arm around Pinkie as they danced and sang with Fluttershy, Adagio was keeping a watchful eye on everything from the sidelines, then looked back at my athletic friend.

“Not long ago they bullied me again when Aria won a prize for me. They tried to steal it and she once again came to my defense. I even tried to stand up for myself, something I never would have done had Aria not taught me to be more assertive.” I stated proudly. “When I couldn't defend myself, Aria was there by my side protecting me from being hurt. She stood up for me and has always been there for me. When we started dating I learned so much about her. Things that could be shared if both of you would just get along.”

I sighed, taking my friends hands in mine. “She’s a lot like you Rainbow. She cares for the ones closest to her and I know you care too. I’m not asking you to be friends, but can you at least get along with the sirens and live peacefully side by side with them?”

“I-I… I’m sorry Twilight. I don’t think I can get over it that quickly,” I sighed, feeling my eyes tearing up, but my friend placed a hand on my shoulder giving me a warm assuring smile. “But I will try. If you can be patient and give me a little time, I think I can eventually let it go. Kay?”

I smiled placing my hand on hers, then without thinking, I pulled her into a friendly hug. She in return hugged me back gently patting my back. Truth be told I was never really mad at her. I always knew her heart was in the right place. “It’s okay, Rainbow. After what I have heard, I can’t judge you for being wary.”

“So… we’re cool?” My athletic friend sounded worried.

I closed the distance between us in order to hug her again. “We were never not cool.”

Rainbow Dash sighed in relief and hugged me back. We remained like that until a familiar voice interrupted us.

“How could you?!” Both Rainbow and I turned our heads to see Aria, faking to be hurt holding a hand to her chest. “I leave for a minute and you jump into someone else’s arms?”

I giggled as I broke the hug with my friend and watched as Aria dramatically placed a hand on her forehead like my friend Rarity did often. I stuck my tounge out playfully. “You were taking too long and I needed hugs. What was I supposed to do?”

Aria chuckled and crossed her arms. “Wooooow, nice comeback, Sparks. Have you been practicing?”

“A little, yeah.” I smiled from my girlfriend to my nervous friend. “Do you want to say something, Rainbow?”

“Wait, now?” Her eyes widened. “Shouldn’t we wait until the three of them are together?”

“Might be easier if you do it with Aria first.”

“Do what?” Aria asked, frowning her eyes.

I gave Rainbow a gentle push towards Aria. My girlfriend was confused and looked at me. I nodded to let her know that she should listen. It took some moments, but Rainbow Dash eventually took a deep breath and spoke. “I-I’m sorry for not trusting you… You’re actually… cool.”

Aria raised an eyebrow. “Oh?” Her confusion turned into a smirk. “It’s fine, and I’m not mad about that. Considering our last encounter, you would have to be dumb to trust me right away.”

“So… no hard feelings?”

“Nah, anyone Twilight trusts I will at the very least tolerate,” Aria shook her head looking at me, and I nodded. “I still don’t want to be your friend, though.”

I was shocked by what Aria said. I was about to say something, but my athletic friend beat me to the punch, sighing in relief.

“Thank goodness!” Rainbow looked relieved when she turned to me. “You were right, egghead, it was easy.”

Aria instantly glared at my friend clenching her fists so hard we heard her knuckles crack. Rainbow cringed and held up her hands. “It’s a friendly nickname!”

I quickly stepped between them pushing my hands against Aria’s chest.

“It’s true, Aria. I don’t mind.” I reassured my girlfriend with a smile. Aria sighed and waved her hand around dismissively. I breathed a sigh of relief, crisis averted!

“Fine, fine, okay. Shall we return to the party?”

“Sure!” I smiled as I approached Aria to take her hand. Rainbow followed us, but then she went to meet with Pinkie Pie, Trixie and Sonata.

“Do you want to dance, cub?” My girlfriend said while reaching a hand towards me.

I blushed, but still managed to take her hand. She walked me to the floor and we started dancing together. Her dancing was a little clumsy, but I didn’t mind. I wasn't a great dancer either.

As we danced, I glanced towards my athletic friend. I saw her talking with Sonata mostly. Things seemed to be going well since Sonata kept smiling. “It’s good to see Rainbow trying to make amends. It’s just what your sisters need.”

“Sonata always wanted to have friends. She must be really happy right now.” I noticed a small smile on Aria’s lips.

“I’m glad you were okay with hosting a hatchday party here.”

“I’m not evil. Not anymore. I knew saying no would have been a huge step back on my part.”

I giggled softly and playfully squeezed her cheek. “My alpha is such a good person and that’s why I like you so much.”

I could feel the heat of her cheek when she blushed. She took me by my wrist and smiled. “And you’re such a dork.”

I returned the smile and then my eyes widened when a new song popped up. I turned my attention to the music player to find both Rarity and Adagio on each side with smug smirks, watching us. Rarity winked at me. When I got the message, I turned back to Aria, both her and I were blushing furiously now. “D-Do you mind… s-slow dancing…?”

“I-I...” Aria cleared her throat. “W-We could give it a shot.” I nodded and slowly placed my arms around her neck. Next, Aria placed her own arms around my waist and pulled me closer to her.

We started to move more slowly taking two steps in a zig zag motion as we circled in place to the slow paced music. I focused on my girlfriend’s gorgeous eyes first, but I did glance at my friends eventually. All of them were watching us, especially Sunset and Trixie. I noticed how Sunset had an arm around her girlfriend’s waist while Trixie laid a head on her shoulder. Even Rainbow Dash was happy to see us being this intimate, but of course when I made eye contact with her she pretended to gag. When the embarrassment hit me, I buried my head on Aria’s shoulder. I heard her chuckle and hug me tightly, all while we danced. Despite having an audience, I could enjoy being in Aria’s arms as she always made me feel safe and secure.

I felt like I was the center of the universe and Aria was my guardian and nothing was going to break us apart.


The day after the party, I was sitting in the living room with my parents and Spike on my lap. Not counting the sleepover, it was the very first time I assisted at a party, I was excited to tell them how it went.

“It was amazing! I had so much fun! The food, the music, the dancing. I had to divide my time to be able to talk with my friends and girlfriend! All of them wanted to chat with me!”

“We’re so happy for you, Twilight.” My mother said while clasping her hands.

“Can we go to the next one?” My father smiled like he usually does when he jokes.

“D-Dad!” Both of my parents laughed while Spike rubbed his head against me. I petted him as I smiled. “You two went out while I was away yesterday. How did it go?”

“We had a nice time too.” My mother replied. She looked at my dad. “We went to the park, had ice-cream and talked.”

“How cute.” I said. “I love seeing you so in love. I’m happy to have you as my parents.”

My father smiled. “Thank you, Twily.”

“And we love seeing you in love too, dear.” My mother said. “In fact, your father and I got an idea.”

“Y-You do?” I blushed. Uh, oh, what are they going to do with Aria?

“Yeah, your mother wants to prepare homemade pasta next weekend. Her speciality” My dad said.

“Why don’t I make some extra and you invite Aria for dinner?” My mom spoke next. “We want to get to know her more.”

“Oh?” Actually… that’s not a bad idea. “Good idea!” I said before standing up. “I’ll call her right now! Come on, Spike.” Taking my pet, I ran towards the stairs. Dinner at home with my girlfriend? How can you say no to that?!

Author's Note:

So sorry for the late update, guys. I try to get the chapters done as soon as I can :fluttershysad:

Here you go, guys! Hatchday party with some bonding included! :rainbowkiss:

Also, I want to take this opportunity to ask you guys if you want to see actual Rarijack in the future, but before you reply, let me answer your most likely concern. No, it won't make me lose focus of the plot. It won't distract me at all. I will give it the focus I give Shining ArmorxCheerilee, cute scenes here and there, but not too much. Personally, I would like to go forward, but if you don't want to I won't do it. I'll stick to the teasing :twilightsmile:
I hope you enjoyed the song I chose for the slow dance. Stay tuned for a special dinner with Twilight's family! :pinkiehappy:

I want to thank Windsor and Zalla661 for revising and editing this chapter before its release :twilightsmile: