• Published 25th Oct 2018
  • 4,107 Views, 956 Comments

My Chemical Reaction - MysteriousStranger



Still recovering from the Midnight Sparkle incident, Twilight seeks to distract herself with a new book she's eager to read, but she soon discovers that she's not the only one interested in it.

  • ...
11
 956
 4,107

Sleepover

Twilight’s P.O.V.

“Alright… juice, check. Soda, check. Pillows, check. Blankets… check,” I said, going down my long detailed checklist, courtesy of my Sleepover 101 Guidebook.

“Twilight…” Spike said, after yawning. He has just awoken from his nap. “You have already double checked the list. Everything is pretty much ready for the sleepover tomorrow.”

“Yeah, but there’s nothing wrong with triple checking, Spike!” I excitedly said as I moved from one side of the room to the other. “I must be absolutely certain that nothing’s missing.”

I knelt to organize my board games on the floor wondering if I should organize by size of the box, or go with the traditional A - Z by title? Oh, decisions!

“I know, but nothing is missing.” I felt Spike’s paw on one of my knees, so I looked at him. “Twilight, you have been checking for too long now. Everything’s ready. Why don’t we do something else? Take a small break?”

“A break?“ I stood up. “I have taken enough breaks already. I can’t take it easy now that the sleepover is upon us!”

“That’s what it is, Twilight. You’re just going to have most of your friends sleeping here for a night, you’re not launching a spacecraft,” Spike sat on the floor, looking at me with concern. “You haven’t slowed down since you had dinner with Aria, and that was last Monday. It’s a nice day. Make the most of this Friday.”

Spike stood up and walked over to the window and peeked outside. He started to happily shake his tail as he watched another dog and its owner walk down the street, which gave him a clever idea. “Oh, I know! Since it's still early and the day is so nice, why don’t we go for a walk?”

I glanced at the window to witness the beautiful day. Now that I have stopped to think, I can feel how tired I was. I turned my head to my pet again and smiled. “I suppose we could…”

“Yes!” Spike started to jump around in excitement. I giggled and picked him up, his little tail wagging with excitement still. He didn’t waste time to lick my face.

“If you wanted to go out so much, why didn’t you say so before?” I scratched his head before taking my purse and walking down the stairs and towards the front door. “Mom, dad! I’m talking Spike for a walk!”

“Wonderful! That means your dad and I will have some smooch smooch time!” My mother’s not so subtle comment made the blood rush to my face.

“M-Mom!” I heard my parents chuckle at my expense before my father spoke up.

“Have fun you two!”

“Thank you!” I smiled, still feeling the burn in my cheeks and turned around to open the door, only to find someone on the other side. I gasped and grinned after immediately recognizing the visitor.

“Cadence!” I screamed before hugging her.

The woman smiled at me and lowered her hand from the doorbell to return the embrace. “Hello, Twilight, and you too Spike.”

“Hi!” Spike said still wagging his tail happily.

I broke the hug and grinned at my longtime friend. “I’m always happy to see you.”

“The feeling is mutual, Twilight.” Cadence smiled at me. She was carrying my handheld vacuum. “I’m here to return this to you.”

“Oh-” I took the vacuum and placed on a nearby table. “Thank you. You caught me just in time. Spike and I are heading out to stretch our legs.”

“Okay, then. Don’t let me interrupt you.” Cadence stepped back to let me walk past her.

I smiled at her after passing her. “Do you want to come with us? We can talk.”

The woman blinked confusedly before smiling widely. “Do you wish to talk about your crush?”

“U-Uh…” My cheeks started to burn. I think I should have seen it coming. “S-Sure, if you want.” I closed the door and placed Spike on the floor before the three of us started to walk towards the park.

As we walked towards the park Candence remained silent, no doubt waiting for me to start the conversation I knew she was waiting for. The more I thought about it the more tense I became. I could tell she noticed she always had a way of knowing when something was bothering me, perhaps it was the way I kept shifting my eyes? The way I walked? Then, as if she knew what I was thinking she broke the silence with a very Cadence question.

“So… how’s that going?” Excitement was clear in her voice.

“C-Can it wait until we’re sitting?” I smiled sheepishly. My face didn’t lose its redness. “I actually have some things to say about the progress of my crush.”

“Is that so?” I don’t think Cadence’s grin couldn’t get any wider. “Let’s hurry, then.” She started to run towards the park nearly leaving Spike and me behind.

“Cadence, wait for me!” Spike and I had to run after her to keep up as she made a mad rush for the park. I suddenly wished I took more athletic activities rather than spend all my time in a lab. When did she get so fast, or was I just slow?


My friend didn’t stop until we were at the park. Only then we could catch our breath. Cadence kept smiling even as she gasped for air. “Okay, Twilight, we’re here. Tell me everything.”

“B-Bench… first… please!” I gasped between bated breaths.

“Aww, fine!” Cadence said with a pout. “There’s a free one over there.”

Cadence and I headed towards the free bench sitting next to a small tree that offered minimal shade. Once sitting, I sighed in relief allowing my burning lungs to take in as much air as I possibly could. When I recovered my air, I glanced at Spike. He was shaking his tail while watching strangers’ dogs play. He looked at me with pleading eyes.

“Can I, Twilight?”

I giggled. Oh, Spike, you’re so cute! How could I say no to that face? “Of course you can.” My pet ran towards the dogs while barking. I watched him play until Cadence called my attention by clearing her throat.

“So, enough suspense, Twily. I’m all ears,” She said with a playful grin.

Unsurprisingly, my cheeks started to burn. “W-Well, I have been spending more time with her. My feelings remain, stronger even. Just recently, Aria allowed me to tell the rest of my friends about her and her sisters.”

“She doesn’t like your friends?” Cadence asked with a raised brow.

I shook my head thinking back to the time I visited Aria at her place. I also remembered the promise I made to her. “No. Apparently something really huge and bad happened between them. One of my friends tried to tell me, but I didn’t want to hear it. I'm waiting to hear it from Aria herself. She doesn't usually allow anyone to be this close to her and I don't want to ruin our friendship by digging into her personal life behind her back.”

“A wise move, Twilight,” My friend smiled warmly at me. “What else?”

“U-Umm… w-we…” I nervously stroke one of my arms with the other and briefly avoided Cadences gaze as I thought back to more recent events.

“She has been to my house a few more times, we watched another movie, she looked after Spike, we took some pictures together and I… I…” I cleared my throat before speaking in a barely audible voice. “I gifted her a cell phone…”

Cadence’s eyes widened. “You gave her a phone of her own? Really?” I nodded. The woman placed a hand on her chin to think for a few seconds. “The photos you took… are them in your phone?”

“Y-Yes…”

“Can I see them?” I nodded again before pulling my phone from my purse. I looked for the photo Aria and I took alone and passed my phone to my friend. Cadence took a close look at it. She stared at the photo for several seconds.

“Cadence?” I attempted to place my hand on her shoulder, when she abruptly turned her head towards me, smiling from ear to ear.

“Twilight, you HAVE to confess to her!”

My eyes widened as my entire body heated up. ”B-Bluh bro… mmo…” I found myself unable to form coherent words. Cadence scooted closer to me and placed an arm around my shoulders and pulling me close to her. Under normal circumstances this would calm me, but her insistence made me even more nervous than I was before.

“Twilight look at your smile! Look at her smile! I know you’re happy around her, but I didn’t know she was that happy around you. I think that smile means something! It’s likely that she likes you back!” Cadence said with glee.

My heart skipped a beat at the very thought that Aria might like me back. I smiled and managed to find my voice again. “Y-You think so?”

“Well, I said it’s likely, I’m not 100% sure.” My friend glanced at the photo again before turning to me. “Even if I’m mistaken, I’m sure she will want to keep you around as a friend. Either way, Aria Blaze will be an important part of your life.”

My heart sank at the thought of Aria not liking me back. “It would really hurt me if she doesn’t feel the same way, though…”

My friend sighed. “Rejection is always painful, Twily.”

“Yeah…” I took a deep breath trying not to think about that possible outcome. “The pieces of advice you gave me… I haven’t been following them as I wanted. I lost myself in Aria far too often. It’s hard to break apart when we hug. She already asked me once if I was feeling okay and I had to lie to her.”

My heart raced faster and faster with each passing moment. My crush on Aria is strong. Very strong. “I think about her all the time. Sometimes, when I’m in my room and think of her, I can’t help but to laugh and hug my pillow tightly.” I glanced at Cadence with a smile while she nodded urging me to continue. “You’re right. I must tell her how I feel!”

I stood up and raised a hand triumphally. I truly felt like I had the confidence to tell Aria how I felt for her.. “I’ll…” Suddenly, I lost my confidence as I realized what Cadence was asking me to do. “C-Confess?!”

My friend nodded while smiling. “I believe it’s time you think on how to reveal your feelings.”

“B-But I’m not ready!” I screamed.

Sure I’ve had the urge to hold Aria’s hand or to snuggle against her before, but I always forced myself to avoid jumping on her. I would rather tell her with words how I feel, but I’m sure my nervousness will twist my tongue.

“Twilight-” Cadence placed a hand on my shoulder and smiled warmly at me. “You’re not the only one who struggles when they’re going to reveal their feelings. Some can ask people out without problems, while others don’t know how to begin. My advice is, don’t give yourself a deadline. Don’t task yourself with confessing on a particular day. Wait for the right moment. Let the words flow on their own, otherwise you’ll get anxious and anxious instead of enjoying your time with her.”

I took mental notes of her words, hoping to use her advice this time. I usually remember what I have and what I don’t have to do. But when Aria is around, my mind goes berserk! I’m a mess. It’s nice to have someone experienced to help me through this.

“Thank you, Cadence. I-uhh… I’m still nervous, I’ll do what you told me. No deadlines. Right now, my focus is on the sleepover I’m having with my friends tomorrow. The day after tomorrow, I’ll call Aria to schedule a meeting,” I said.

Cadence tilted her head, still smiling. “Sleepover? Oh, Twilight, that’s fantastic!”

I giggled. “Thanks. I’m excited about it. It’s the first time I’ll have most of my friends in my house. If all goes well, I’ll repeat it again!”

“’If’? I’m sure it will go smoothly.” My friend chuckled. “My friends and I had some wild sleepovers back in the day.”

“You have been friends with them since Elementary school. I hope my friends and I remain together as much as you did with yours.” I commented with a smile.

“You became close with them shortly after transferring, Twily. Your bond is strong. I doubt you’ll break apart.”

I felt a blissful sensation on my insides. I cannot wait to see what the future holds for my wonderful friends and I. “Losing one of them would be devastating to me. They’re all equally important to me.”

“I know the feeling.” She pulled me into a tight hug. “This was fun, Twilight, but I have to go. There’s some shopping I need to do.”

“Okay.” I hugged her back.

My friend patted me on my head. “Remember what we talked about.” She said before standing up.

My cheeks flushed a little. “I’ll try. Goodbye, Cadence!”

I waved at her. She waved me back before she turned her head to where Spike was playing. She waved at him to, and my pet wagged his tail with happiness in response. With my friend gone, it didn’t take long before my mind focused back on Aria.

“Not right now, brain! Wait until Sunday!” My thoughts refused to listen. I pictured myself hugging Aria, touching noses with her, kissi- Distraction! I need a distraction! Looking up, I noticed the position of the sun. Wait… what time is it? I checked the time on my phone. Perfect timing! I have a distraction. Grinning, I dialed my brother’s number and waited for his reply.

“Twily, hello!”

“Hello, Shining!” I relaxed my back on the bench. “Enjoying your day off?”

My brother sighed. “Sadly, no. One of my fellow officers got ill and I had to cover up for her.”

“Oh…” Did he have to…? “W-Were you forced to call of your date with Miss Cheerilee?”

“Fortunately, no.” He sounded happy which usually meant he was smiling like a goof. “I received the call shortly before the date ended. I had to cut short the goodbyes, but we exchanged phone numbers and plan to schedule a second date.”

Second date?! Yayyyyy! My matchmaking was a complete success! “Shining, that’s great! You know what this means?”

“No? Uhh…” There was a short pause. “Oh, wait, I-I do. Please, Twilight, don’t-”

LOVE IS IIIIN BLOOM!” I sang with excitement into the speaker. I didn’t need to see my brother to know that he was covering his face with embarrassment.

“I haven’t heard that song since you decided to marry Mr. Smarty-pants and Miss Serenity.”

I was about to reply, but then I could barely make out Chrysalis’s voice in the background. “Congratulations, partner! Thanks to you I won a bet against the Captain! I knew you had it in you!”

“You and the Captain had a bet, really?” Shining’s voice sounded lower. He must have his head turned.

I heard a third voice, probably the captain’s. “You always stutter when talking to women you like. I thought it was easy money!”

Shining chuckled. “Sorry boss, but my sister arranged the date. There was no way I would screw it up.” I giggled at his words.

Aww, Shining Armor. You’re a true B.B.B.F.F. “Wait, did anyone else bet on my date’s outcome?” There was a short pause. “How many of you voted against me… r-really? That many?!”

I could hear my brother sigh before he spoke to the speaker again. “My reputation precedes me. I’ll show them that I can handle dating. Cheerilee wanted to see me again. I’ll call her the moment I arrive home!”

“You’re asking her out on a second date already?” I was shocked by this.

“No, it’s too soon for that. I’ll wait for a few days. I’ll just call her to chat,” He said with a confident tone.

“Oh,” I internally sighed with relief. “Yes, it would have been too soon. Talking is good.”

“Yeah, and you have experience talking with your crush.” I didn’t need to see his face to know that he was giving me a patronizing smirk, and he didn’t need to see me to know that his comment got exactly what he was looking for: A strong blush. “How’s that going on, Twily?”

Oh, Shining, just this once, I wish you didn’t go into big brother mode. “I-It’s going f-fine… Aria and I still get along well and her sisters like me too. We’re growing closer.”

Shining laughed softly. “You’re moving veeeery slow, sis. Should I return the favor and arrange a date for you two?”

My body’s temperature increased and I almost lost my voice again as my mind raced right to my thoughts about Aria. “N-No, thank you! I actually just talked with Cadence and I have a plan!”

There was a brief pause over the phone before Shining replied to me, “Oh, yeah? And what’s that plan?”

“The plan is to wait until Sunday before thinking on one,” I said with a huff.

“Procrastination?” My brother sounded confused. “That doesn’t sound like you, Twilight. Are you sure you’re feeling alright?”

“There’s a good reason for it!” The tone of my voice was a little to high. Surely Shining removed the phone from his ear. “I’m organizing a slumber party tomorrow and I want it to go smoothly! Once that’s done, my focus will go towards Aria.”

“Now it makes sense.” My brother sounded happy now. He must be smiling. “Good luck with that, Twily. Keep me updated on that front, okay?”

“I will.” I smiled and exhaled happily. “I never met someone like her before. Tough, but with a soft spot. I really, really like her, Shining.”

“You have to introduce her to me one day. A photo, at least.”

“Oh, I have photos!” I grinned. “I’m sending them to you right now.”

Instead of my brothers’ reply, I heard the Captain speak. “Officers Armor and Chrysalis! We just got a call for a 10-57 in progress. Get on the streets!”

“Yes, sir!” Both Shining and Chrysalis said at unison. “Sorry, Twilight. Hit and run. I have to go.”

“I understand, Shining. I’ll send you the photos later. Be careful, please.”

“I’m always careful.” My brother said with confidence. “Goodbye, Twily. Good luck with your friends tomorrow and with Aria.”

I smiled. “Thanks, big brother. Now, go get them!”

“Will do!” Shining Armor hang up and so did I afterwards.

I stretched my arms, still with a smile on my face, before closing my eyes to relax. I’m not sure how much time passed when I felt something warm and wet on one of my legs. I looked down to find Spike licking me.

“Looks like I was right about the break, Twilight!” Spike said as he sat and wagged his tail.

I smiled at him and leaned to caress his tiny head. “Yes you were, Spike, I feel refreshed. Thanks for the idea. I could catch up with Cadence and Shining Armor as well.”

“Just say it, I’m the best dog in the world!” My pet shook his tail faster.

I giggled softly. “I can do better. I’ll get you a custom tag with that written instead of your name.”

“Yes, thank you!” Spike barked happily as I picked him up.

“Let’s go home. I’ll give you a treat and I’ll finish organizing my supplies.” I carried Spike home all the way back as an excuse to hug him on the way back. The break also helped me to ease my anxiety. Now I’m more excited for tomorrow night!


It was time. My friends would soon arrive. Already wearing my pajamas and with my hair down, I was ready. Everything is set in my room. I’ll wait for them to arrive by the door and then lead them upstairs to start the slumber party. Spike was sitting by my side. “This is it, Spike. The day I have been preparing for weeks. I’m prepared to receive my friends!”

“But you’re shaking.” My pet said.

“Of excitement!” I grinned. “I’m ready for anything!”

“I haven’t seen trace of nervousness whatsoever since we went to the park yesterday.”

I glanced at Spike. “I loved making sure that everything was in check, but I think I got a little too carried away.”

“A little?” Spike leaned his head with a sarcastic tone. “I’m surprised that you didn’t pull your hair out.”

I giggled softly. “Well, I’m-” I got interrupted by the doorbell. “They’re here!”

I quickly and over to the door and placed my hand on the door knob, took a deep breath, and opened the door. Sunset, Trixie, Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash were on the other side waiting for me to answer.

“Twilight, good evening!” Sunset greeted me and Spike with a smile. “Hi Spike.”

“Hello everyone!” Spike said with enthusiasm.

“Hello! Please, come in.” Returning the smile, I stepped aside to allow my friends to walk in.

Rainbow Dash whistled impressed. “Wow, egghead, your place is really cool!”

“I agree with her,” Trixie was the next to speak. “this place is at least twice as big as my house.”

“Thank you, girls. Feel free to sit while we wait for the others.” I said while I offered to take my friends’ coats.

“Can you show us around, Twilight?! After everyone’s here, of course.” Pinkie Pie asked with her usual excitement.

“Sure!” I turned from Pinkie to Trixie and noticed that she was holding a bag. “Trixie, if you brought extra food, we can put them in the fridge.”

“Hmm?” The magician blinked confusedly at me before looking down at her bag. “Oh, no, it’s not food.” She held the bag with both of her hands. “It's... a board game.”

“A board game?” I smiled and approached to Trixie. I tried to take a look, but the magician moved the bag away from me.

“No peeking! It’s a surprise!” Sunset’s girlfriend frowned at me. “Trixie spent days on this. She’s patiently waiting for the right time to reveal its contents, and-”

“She brought Ogres & Oubliettes.” Sunset suddenly said with a smug smile.

Trixie turned around to glare at her, puffing her cheeks. “H-How dare you betray the trust of The Great and Powerful Trixie?!”

Sunset chuckled and patted Trixie’s head. “Sorry, Trix, but you’re adorable when you’re mad.”

It looked as if all of Trixie’s blood moved towards her face. She turned bright red and looked like her head was about to explode. Turning her head away from Sunset, she pouted and crossed her arms before speaking in a barely audible tone. “I hate you…”

“Uh-huh…” The equestrian girl placed an arm around Trixie’s waist and pulled her closer.

Trixie kept pouting, but she placed her arms around Sunset and closed her eyes. “I still hate you…” Watching the adorable couple, my mind wandered. I found myself picturing Aria holding me like Sunset was holding Trixie. My heart was burning with desire. I wish I had Aria’s bravery so I didn’t struggle when I try to tell her about my true feelings. She’s so… so… beau-!

“Blah!” Rainbow Dash stuck her tongue out. “I knew you two would get cheesy tonight.”

I blinked several times, returning to reality. Bad brain, we had a deal! Wait until tomorrow!

“Oh, shut up, Rainbow!” Sunset replied with a smile. “We’ll try to keep it to a minimum.” The fiery girl turned to affectionately gaze at her girlfriend. “Key word, ‘Try’.”

Rainbow’s eyes widened. “Oh, no…” She grabbed her hair with both of her hands. “Why did I agree to come?! Where are the others?!”

As if the universe was to answer Rainbow Dash’s pleading, the doorbell rang. “Yes, salvation!” She exclaimed before rushing to the front door and opening it. “You guys finally made it! Come on in-! Ouch!” A hand karate chopped her on top of her head. Immediately after, Rarity walked into my house.

“Rainbow, where are your manners? The hostess is supposed to open the door.” The fashionista looked around until she found me. She smiled warmly when she did. “Twilight, dear, pardon the intrusion. My belongings are heavy and a rest was in order.”

“Your belongings?” I raised an eyebrow confused. All I saw her carrying her purse. “But you’re not carrying anything.”

“Au contraire.” Rarity said before snapping her fingers. “Applejack, Fluttershy, come on in.” In cue, my remaining friends walking in, carrying several bags. They placed them on the floor and started to pant.

“Why… why are you even bringing so many things?” Applejack said, frowning. “We’re just spendin’ the night here!”

“There’s nothing wrong in taking a few precautions.” Rarity said with an unamused expression and placing a hand on her hip. Meanwhile, I noticed that Spike immediately went to greet Fluttershy, who happily caressed him before picking him up.

“A few?!” Rainbow Dash started to revise Rarity’s belongings.

“Get your hands off my stuff, Rainbow!” But Rainbow Dash ignored the fashionista’s complains.

“Look at this! Lotion, mud, candles… there’s an entire spa in your bags!” Rainbow exclaimed gesturing to the pile of bags. “Why do you need all this?”

“They’re not all for me!” Rarity said as she took the bags Rainbow Dash was revising back. “I brought to share, in case anyone felt like having a beauty treatment.”

“We might have time in the schedule after the games.” I said, smiling. Rarity smiled back at me in return.

“Thank you, darling.”

“Hey, Twily!” Pinkie Pie’s voice came from my left, but when I looked in that direction, she appeared on my right. Before I could react, she put an arm around me. “Since we’re all here, show us around!”

“That’s not a bad idea.” Applejack said with a tired smile. With everything Rarity made her carry, it’s no wonder that she could use a rest.

“Well…” I glanced at all of them. They were all smiling expectantly. “Of course! Let’s go.”

My friends followed me as I showed them the accommodations of my house. They all seem to be having a good time. So far so good!


After the tour, I took my friends to my room, where they changed into their pajamas while I placed the snacks and drinks around the floor. Since part of the theme was to welcome Trixie into our group, proper banners, made by Pinkie Pie, were hanging in my room along with an assortment of balloons and streamers. It was almost like having a birthday party along with a sleepover.

“I like how the banners look, Twilight.” Rarity commented with a smile.

“Thanks,” I returned her the beam. “But Pinkie Pie was in charge of them.” The party girl grinned at this.

“Your home is awesome, Twilight!” Rainbow Dash commented as we all sat on the floor. “I like it so much that I’ll forget that you didn’t help me with my essay last week.”

“But you could do it on your own. I’m proud of you!” I said as I winked an eye to her.

“Yeah, yeah…” The athlete waved her hand around. “Anyway, I don’t want to talk about school.”

“Allow me to help you with that.” Rarity said, catching everyone’s attention. I noticed that she had my photo with Aria in her hands. “Twilight, this is a beautiful photo, if I may say so.”

“Oh-” Despite the fact that I was blushing, I kept my cool and fixed my glasses. “Thank you.”

“Let me see, let me see!” Pinkie Pie reached for the photo. “Aww, they look so cute!” My blush deepened by her comment. I lowered my head. Not that I had to, since everyone was looking at the photo.

“She sure looks different than the last time we saw her.” Rainbow Dash commented, raising an eyebrow.

“True, she looks friendlier.” Applejack said.

“This reminds me…” Rarity spoke, smiling warmly. “I have something juicy to share. Guess with who I came across not long ago, at a convenience store.”

“Oh, oh!” Pinkie Pie raised her hand with enthusiasm. “One of our teachers?”

“No-” Rarity pointed her index finger towards the party girl as she replied. “I encountered Aria and Adagio.”

Everyone’s eyes widened, but I managed to keep my cool Aria had already told me she met Rarity, or rather Adagio approached Rarity.

"When did you meet her? Sunset asked.

“Last Monday.” Rarity replied.

I gasped happily. Aria… I couldn’t help getting lovestruck. At first I had no idea what these feelings were that I’d have for Aria, but now that I do know it’s all I can think about. My crush invaded my thoughts. I pictured myself holding both of her hands and gazing into her eyes as she gazed back. I wonder how her hands would feel.

“Really?” Rainbow Dash woke me up from my thoughts. I don’t know if I should be happy or mad. She was frowning suspiciously at Rarity. “What were they doing?”

“It was a grocery store, darling,” Rarity said with a hint of annoyance in her voice. “They were shopping for groceries.”

“That’s it?” The jock blinked confusedly. Rarity nodded. “So, what, you saw them and walked away?”

“No. Actually, Adagio approached me and we talked. Turns out that she’s the one who designed their outfits. Oh, they were marvelous designs! And she’s not wasting her talent!” I could swear that Rarity’s eyes were shining. “She’s working for Hoity Toity. I was so glad to meet someone with a similar fashion sense as me, that I even invited her to come with me to an event next week!”

“Woah, there, sugarcube.” Applejack raised both of her hands as she spoke. “Ya tellin’ me that ya talked to her for a few minutes and you suddenly became close friends?”

The fashionista narrowed her eyes. “I wouldn’t go that far, Jackie. I was was nice to her because she seemed polite.” She said before giving her a mischievous smile. “Oh, are you jealous that someone would steal your place?”

The blonde girl blushed. “A-Ah never said that! Ah was just askin’ ‘couse-” she was interrupted by Rarity’s giggles.

“I’m merely joking, darling. You know that I would never replace you.” Applejack sighed and smiled at this comment. I think I could see relief.

“Wait, what about Aria?” As soon as I asked my question, I regretted it. Everyone shifted their attention to me. I had to look away to hide my blush. “I-I mean… you said she was there too.”

“So I did.” I managed to look at Rarity when she answered. She smiled at me. “She wasn’t much of a talker. In fact, she avoided looking at me most of the time.”

“Aria’s not a people person.” Sunset replied for me. She smiled at me before turning to Rarity “When she spoke to Trixie and me, she looked noticeably annoyed.”

“But she talks with Twilight just fine.” The fashionista said, slightly confused.

“That’s because she likes her. Twilight is Aria’s only friend…” Sunset replied for me again. It was a good thing that everyone’s attention was now on Rarity and Sunset because I was burning completely. Nobody noticed my clear blush as I hid behind my hair, thank you Fluttershy!

“Oh, that’s fine, I suppose.” Rarity sighed. “I have no problem if she doesn’t want to talk to me. She’s too stubborn and impatient. Actually, she reminded me of Rainbow Dash, and frankly, one is enough.”

“Yeah-“ Rainbow Dash chuckled, but then stopped herself and frowned at Rarity. “Hey!” Everyone snickered, except me. I just smiled at my friends as I hugged my knees close to my body. I was already enjoying the evening. My gaze found Spike, still in Fluttershy’s arms. He nodded at me. Time to start with the first activity!

I stood up, clasping my hands and grinning. “Alright, everyone! It’s time for the games!” Everyone cheered. Before continuing, I cleared my throat and placed my hands on my back as I closed my eyes. “First, we’ll start with-”

“Oh, oh, oh!” I was interrupted by Trixie, who was raising her hand. “Trixie brought a mysterious surprise board game! Well-” she glared at her girlfriend. “Not so mysterious now…” Sunset gave her an amused wry smile at her.

“Oh, that nerdy game, huh?” The jock said with a smirk.

“Don’t call it that!” Trixie frowned at Rainbow Dash. “It’s a highly sophisticated board game of exciting adventures and cunning.”

“Even the way you describe is nerdy.” The athletic girl didn’t change her smirk smile.

Trixie grunted at Rainbow Dash before turning around and crossing her arms. “You have no taste.”

“I’ll play.” I said, smiling. Trixie looked at me.

“I’ll join too.” Sunset smiled too.

“Me too, me too!” Pinkie Pie jumped excitedly while remaining sitting.

“I’ll join too.” Fluttershy spoke next. “That sounds like fun.”

“Well, I suppose I’ll play too.” Rainbow Dash said, raising both of her hands in defeat. “To see what’s the fuzz about.”

“If you don’t mind, I’ll pass for this one, darling.” Rarity said. “But I don’t mind watching.”

“Ah’ll watch too.” Applejack spoke before closing her eyes and laying down next to her hat. “Ah’m just going to lie down for a little while.”

The fashionista beamed at Applejack. “Darling, can I give you a beauty treatment?”

The farmer girl opened an eye to meet Rarity’s gaze and shrugged. “Sure, why not?”

Trixie briefly smiled gratefully at everyone before clearing her throat. “Alright, then, prepare to embark on the adventure of your lives!” She said before removing the contents of her bag. As she did that, I started to kneel on the floor, but Trixie glanced at me. “Twilight, if you don’t mind, Trixie will require a notebook, pencils and erasers.”

“Oh, sure!” I grinned and headed to my desk, where I had my school supplies.

“So… you forgot half of the stuff you need?” Rainbow Dash jokingly commented.

The magician glared at the rainbow-haired girl. “Trixie wasn’t certain if anyone was going to play, so I didn’t bring everything!”

“Here you go, Trixie.” As I returned, Trixie finished withdrawing everything from her bag. There were two books. One called ‘Player’s Handbook’ and another one titled ‘Monster Manual’. She also had a small bag with different types of dice, pieces of paper with writings in it and plastic army soldiers. When Rainbow Dash saw the toy soldiers, she started to laugh out loud.

“What did you bring those for? We’re playing war too?”

“Don’t be ridiculous-” Trixie glared at the jock. “These will be your PCs.”

“PCs?” Sunset asked, raising an eyebrow. The magician turned to her and smiled slightly.

“Playable Characters.”

“We’re using these?” Rainbow Dash asked as she took one of the plastic soldiers. “Did you lose the originals or something?”

“No-” Trixie glared at the athletic girl again. “The originals are too expensive, so Trixie had no choice but to improvise.

Sunset smirked. “You’re kidding, right?” Trixie quickly used her phone to look for something and showed her findings to her girlfriend, whose eyes widened. “Wow, she’s not kidding around. They cost the same as a brand-new videogame, some even more!”

“Are you serious?” Rainbow Dash said as she frowned. “Why is nerdy stuff so expensive?”

Trixie smirked at the Rainbow. “You have no idea how popular this ‘nerdy stuff’ really is, Dash. Besides, making those figures takes a lot of work. The really good ones are carefully crafted to be as accurate as possible to the pictures and descriptions in the books, painting them is also a very difficult job since there are so many small details that have to be highlighted correctly. Mistakes can't happen or the entire figure will be ruined.”

The entire room fell silent. We were all surprised. Even Rainbow Dash’s jaw dropped as her eyes widened. But only briefly. She closed her mouth and rolled her eyes. “Okay, maybe those are good reasons for them to be so pricey. Point taken.”

“I want to start, already. It’s gamey time!” Pinkie Pie literally jumped into the conversation.

“R-Right.” The magician took a deep breath and put her phone away before opening one of my notebooks and starting to draw in it.

“What are you-?” Rainbow Dash was cut short by both Trixie and Pinkie Pie glaring at her. “Never mind…”

Trixie continued to draw but sighed after a brief moment. “I’m creating the world you’ll have your adventures in. It makes the experience more personal.” No one else said a word until Trixie finished drawing. She tore a piece of paper from the notebook. “Very well, were almost set. Now, everyone, take these.” She said as she gave us the pieces of papers, as well as the book titled ‘Player’s Handbook’. “In those character sheets you’ll find a small description of every class and their backstories. Keep the one you choose. I made a standard version of each class to get faster to the actual game. Also, tell me which race you'll want to play as, you can find them on page 17 of the Player's Handbook.”

I took a look some of the sheets until one called my attention. The Mages.

Apparently, Mages spent their whole life studying the magic arts, their powers come from their knowledge, tomes and scrolls. I can relate! It also says that all mages carry their own spell book, which contain all their known spells written down. If the spell book is destroyed, the Mage can no longer cast spells. Hmm… maybe I should carry backup scrolls. As for the race, I read each one carefully. I need to find the one that fits better with my class. From what I could read, Mages need Dexterity in order to survive, and Intelligence for the spellcasting. The perfect race for a Mage would be a High Elf, since they start with +2 Dexterity and +1 Intelligence extra. “I’m using a High Elf Mage.” I said as I smiled and passed the book and the remaining sheets I had to Rainbow Dash, who was now sitting on my right.

“I still haven't picked a class yet. The Fighter, the Monk and the Rogue all look awesome! But I am definitely making my character a Dragonborn, just so they can have sick dragon wings.” Rainbow Dash commented as she looked between the three sheets she was holding.

“Go for the Fighter, with a sword and shield." Trixie said turning to the athletic girl. "They're the easiest to use among the options you've picked, but..." The magician gave Rainbow Dash an apologetic look. "As you can see in the illustrations from the book, Dragonborns have no wings.”

“What?!” The jock didn't seem happy about it and double checked the book. “Then, what’s the point of being born from a Dragon?!” She added as she passed the sheets and book to Pinkie Pie.

“Trixie understand your pain, she was disappointed as well when she first played the game. Do you want to change?” Trixie asked remorsefully. Rainbow Dash narrowed her eyes for a few moments before shaking her head.

“No, I'll keep it because the book said the Bronze Dragonborn can at least breath lightning, which sounds awesome!”

“I’ll be a Halfling bard!” Pinkie Pie excitedly said as she triumphantly raised the Bard sheet with both of her hands. “What’s better than fighting evil with encouraging songs? Oh, and a sword!”

“I, umm… I’ll be a Wood Elf Druid.” Fluttershy said with a faint smile. “The dress she has in this illustration is so pretty!”

“Well…” Sunset smiled. “I think I better go Cleric.” She read the book carefully. “I’ll be a Half-Elf. Someone has to keep you all alive, right?” Like me, Sunset took more time to choose the perfect race for her. Clerics need Charisma in order to cast their spells, and Half-Elf characters start with +2 Charisma.

“A wise choice.” Trixie said as she smirked at her girlfriend. “Every party needs a healer, otherwise they won't last long.” The magician used my notebook to block her side.

“Wait, what are you doing?” Rainbow Dash pointed at Trixie. “Are you trying to cheat?”

“That’s not nice, Trixie!” Applejack said, frowning, while Rarity combed her hair. “Yer the one who brought that game. Don’t cheat!”

“Trixie’s not cheating!” Trixie glared between Rainbow Dash and Applejack. “This is the Dungeon Master screen. ‘DM Screen’ for short. The DM must separate themselves from the rest of the players.”

“The what?” Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow, confused.

Trixie sighed. “Dungeon Master. Simply put, I’m the narrator of your adventure. It’s the DM who thinks of the story, the world and the obstacles you’ll encounter during the session. In order to keep you on your toes, I must make sure you don’t see what I do to not spoil the surprises.”

“What surprises?” Sunset asked. Trixie smirked at her and placed a hand on Sunset’s chin.

“You’ll see at its time.” The magician clasped her hands together to catch everyone’s attention. “Very well, adventurers! We shall use one of my favorite stories for this session.”

Trixie cleared her throat before modifying her voice a little to sound like a powerful narrator. “Welcome to the town of Redwood! Redwood is a relatively new town, around a decade old, but it has been growing fast due to being localized near the capital and being a safe and quick route to other important cities of the kingdom... Until now…

Pinkie Pie raised her hand. “I have a question!”

Trixie looked slightly annoyed by the interruption. She faked a smile. “Y-Yes, Pinkie…?”

“Why is the town called ‘Redwood’?”

The magician sighed. “Because their main source of income is the forest near it. Redwood trees, so…”

“How original.” Rainbow Dash commented.

Trixie pointed at her. “Be quiet you!” She said before clearing her throat again. “As I was saying, the night the adventurers arrived at the town, a gang of bandits invaded, burning houses and pillaging the townsfolk!”

Fluttershy gasped. “Oh, no!”

Trixie smiled. “Oh, yes. Even you got attacked and had some of your belongings stolen.”

“What?!” I gasped. “But, how? Doesn’t this town have guards or something?”

The magician smirked. “The thing is, since Redwood is still new and smallish, it still doesn't have a competent city guard. While citizens could try to ask for help from the capital, It would take about a week for the capital to do something about the bandit gang, if not longer.” Trixie made a dramatic pause. All of us waited for her next words, even Rainbow. “When you arrive at the town of Redwood, you find out that the mayor already sent couriers and messengers to the capital and to nearby cities, asking for help from the royal army or from any adventurer brave enough to chase down the bandits and recover the stolen goods. Of course, there will be a reward for such a task.” Trixie raised her voice and her hands. “What do you say, adventurers, do you accept the challenge?”

The girls and I looked between each other. Fluttershy was the first to speak. “Those bandits are big bullies. We have to do something!”

“Agreed.” Sunset said. “My great-great-great grandmother’s medallion was stolen!” I noticed that Trixie blushed and smiled at Sunset’s statement. She must be glad to hear that her girlfriend is taking the game seriously.

“Really?” Pinkie Pie gasped. “We must recover it!”

“My Spell book is ready.” I said before looking at the rainbow haired girl. “What do you say, shall we embark on this adventure?”

Rainbow Dash glanced to each of us before smiling determined. “I could use the reward. I say bring it on!”

“Very well.” Trixie smirked. “Trixie usually has everyone starting separated, but to speed things up, you’ll all know each other.” The magician said before giving the dice to Rainbow Dash. “To help you start, you must first learn where the bandits ran off to. It would be a good idea to ask around. Say what you want to do and throw the dice. I’ll tell you what’s the outcome.”

“Ookay…” The jock seemed confused but played along. As she shook the dice inside her closed fist, she spoke aloud. “I’ll order whoever lives here to open up and answer my questions.” She dropped the dice on the floor after she finished speaking. Trixie took a look at the results before returning to her DM screen.

“The people inside the house feel intimidated by you and refuse to open the door,” Trixie said.

“What?!” Rainbow Dash groaned.

“Umm, let me try…” Fluttershy took the dice and started to shake them. “I’ll try asking nicely.” She threw the dice on the floor.

“The inhabitants allow her in. They tell her that the bandits headed north and gifted her with fresh made cookies for her trip ahead.”

“Yay!” Fluttershy cheered quietly.

“Seriously?” My athletic friend was surprised at first, but then chuckled and smirked. “Only Fluttershy would be able to walk in a stranger’s home and come out with cookies.”

“Good thing that I brought actual cookies!” Pinkie Pie said as she raised a tray with cookies, which she brought. “Dig in, everyone!” Sunset, Fluttershy and I grabbed a cookie. Applejack tried to take one too, but Rainbow Dash stopped her.

“Sorry, AJ. They’re for adventurers’ only.” The jock smirked jokingly. “Go back to your girly activities.” Rarity puffed her cheeks in annoyance by Rainbow’s last comment.

Applejack chuckled and gave her a fake smile. “Very funny. Ah haven’t eaten anything for hours, so, move yer hand.” My athletic friend shrugged and allowed Applejack to take her cookie. Pinkie Pie, then, took the tray and moved closer to Trixie.

“You can take one too, Dungeon Master!”

“Oh-” Trixie smiled and took one. “Thank you.” The party girl grinned and returned to where she was. Trixie took a bite of the cookie before speaking again. “Seems like you have a direction, adventurers. But where is north, exactly?”

“That’s easy!” I said as I took the dice. “I just need to see the position of the sun. North is…” I threw the dice.

“To your left.” Trixie said, after looking at the result.

“Ugh!” Rainbow Dash groaned. “We’re just walking? Where’s the action?!”

“Patience, Dragonborn.” Trixie frowned at the rainbow-haired girl. “You head north, leaving the town of Redwood behind. After walking for what it feels like an hour, you notice some bushes moving weirdly.”

“It’s an ambush!” Sunset exclaimed.

“It is indeed.” Trixie smirked. “Four of the bandits surround you. They carry daggers and short swords and have them pointed at you.”

“Oh, dear!” Fluttershy gasped.

The magician smiled. “I’ll give you turns to play. First is Rainbow Dash, then Sunset, Pinkie Pie will follow, followed by Twilight and finally Fluttershy.”

“Alright, everyone, we have to be smart.” The equestrian girl said.

“She’s right. We have to-” I was interrupted when Rainbow Dash took the dice from me.

“Finally! Charge!” She threw the dice.

“Disobeying the party, the impatient Dragonborn charged towards one of the bandits.” Trixie took the dice and threw them. “Unfortunately to her, the bandit was ready. He dodged the Dragonborn without any problem and counter-attacked, injuring her.”

“What?!” Rainbow Dash’s eyes widened. “You did that on purpose!” She pointed a finger at Trixie, who shrugged.

“It’s the will of the dice, not mine.”

“Rainbow Dash!” Sunset called. “I’m coming to heal you!” She added before taking the dice and throwing them.

“The bandits block the way towards the injured Dragonborn.” The DM said with a dramatic voice.

Pinkie Pie took the dice. “Oh, I know! I’ll sing a song to inspire you!” She threw the dice and glanced excitedly at Trixie, who raised an eyebrow.

“The song is effective! All party members’ attacks will be increased by two points for one turn.”

“Super!” The party girl cheered.

Now came my turn. “Let’s think…” I said as I put a hand on my chin. “Weaknesses. Let’s see if they have weaknesses!” I took the dice and threw them.

“The Mage focuses on the bandits. She sees them all grunting and laughing, but she also sees that the leg of one of them is twitching!” Trixie kept using her dramatic voice.

“That’s it!” I said, snapping my fingers and smiling. “I’ll cast magic hands to push the weak bandit, I’ll try to make him lose his balance!”

“The spell hits the bandit! He’s pushed backwards and steps on a whole, causing him to lose his balance and fall on the mud!”

“Yes!” I fist bumped.

“Quick, Fluttershy!” Sunset said as the took the dice and gave them to the timid girl. “Turn into a bear and growl. Try to scare them!”

“O-Okay…” Fluttershy quietly said.

“The druid successfully takes the form of a fearsome bear.” Fluttershy rolled the dice. “The druid growls from the top of her lungs. The bandits step backwards, startled by the beast. They’re unable to move.”

“My turn again. I’ll shield bash one of them to knock them out!” Rainbow Dash rolled the dice.

“’Clang!’ It’s super effective!” Trixie narrated. “The shield hits one of the bandits’ heads. The unfortunate bandit fell to the floor, unconscious.”

“Awesome!” The jock cheered.

“Now I can heal Rainbow.” Sunset said before rolling the dice.

“The Dragonborn’s health is completely restored.” The DM kept narrating.

“I’ll use my sword to attack a bandit!” Pinkie Pie rolled the dice.

“The attack is super effective! The bandit is fatally wounded.” Trixie said.

“I-umm… I don’t know what to do…” Fluttershy commented.

“Maul the remaining bandit.” Rainbow Dash suggested.

The quiet girl’s eyes widened. “That sounds awful!”

“It’s just a game, Fluttershy.” Sunset smiled at the timid girl. “None of this is real.”

Fluttershy stared at the hand drawn board, thinking. She remained silent for a few moments before hesitantly taking the dice to roll them. “O-Okay, I’ll do that…”

“The remaining bandit was no match for the Druid. In the end, only the bandit who the Mage threw in the mud remained conscious and alive.” I smiled, proud of myself.

“Just as planned.” I said. “Now we can interrogate him for the whereabouts of their stronghold!”

“Wait!” Sunset spoke up. “First, let’s loot the others. Maybe one of them was holding my medallion.”

“Alright!” I rolled the dice. “Loot it is.”

“The adventurers revised the belongings of their fallen foes. However, they found none of their own stuff which was stolen.”

“Shoot!” Sunset sighed.

“Alright, let’s interrogate that guy.” Rainbow Dash commented with a smirk and cracking her knuckles. “Let’s threat him. If he doesn’t tell us what we want, we’ll cut his tongue!”

“Woah, Rainbow!” Sunset intervened. “First, that’s too gruesome.” It was true. We were all disgusted by her idea. Fluttershy looked like if she was about to throw up. “Second, that’s not an effective threat. If we cut his tongue, how is he supposed to tell us where to go?”

Rainbow Dash raised a finger and opened her mouth, ready to protest, but she quickly lowered it. “Good point…”

“Fluttershy should do it.” I smiled at my timid friend. “Maybe she’ll win him over with her charm.”

“Yes, for realsies!” Pinkie Pie joined the conversation. “No one can say no to her!”

Fluttershy blushed at the compliments and hid her face behind her hair. “I-I don’t know…”

I took the dice and reached them to her. She looked at me. “Try it.” I said, keeping my smile. Fluttershy stared at the dice for a few moments before hesitantly taking them. “O-Okay…” She rolled the dice as it landed on a twenty.

“With her persuasion and kindness, the Druid promised the bandit to clean, heal and let him go if he told the party where their stronghold was located.” Trixie narrated. “Captivated by her sweet voice, the bandit willingly told everything the adventurers’ wanted to know. The bandits’ stronghold was at the Northeast. The questioned bandit even revealed them how to overcome the obstacles.”

“Wow…” The jock was the one to speak. All of our jaws dropped. “That… was… awesome!” Rainbow Dash grinned. “Let’s go kick their-!”

“Rainbow!” Fluttershy called our friend. She was frowning slightly. “We’ll help this poor person first.”

“I got it.” Sunset smirked.

“True to her words, the bandit was completely healed. He walked away, leaving his former comrades and promising to leave the crime life behind.” The DM said.

“Cool, now we can go to that Stronghold!” Rainbow Dash smirked.

“Indeed.” Trixie said. “The journey was going to take days, but the adventurers’ were determined to seek justice, and receive their rewards. They marched with purpose, only camping during the nights. The days of the bandits were numbered.”


“Come on, Rainbow!” Sunset encouraged our friend. After forty minutes of the game, we finally were at the final boss battle. Our entire party’s health was low, and Sunset had no mana left to heal us. “One more successful hit and the Slab Baron will be done for!”

“I’ll give it my best shot yet!” Our athletic friend said while she held the dice. “I’ll strike right into his heart!” She rolled the dice.

“The Dragonborn charged towards the, Slab Baron.” Trixie narrated. “He tried to block her way with his fist shaped hammer, but the Dragonborn dodged the hammer with a roll. Before the Baron could react again, the Dragonborn rushed him and swiftly stabbed him right into his heart. With a final groan, the Slab Baron dropped his trusted hammer to the floor before collapsing to the floor. The Dragonborn raised her sword into the air, letting out a victory roar.”

“Yes!” I screamed excitedly and clasped my hands together. We all cheered at our victory. “We did it!”

“That… was… awesome!” Rainbow Dash grinned. “I want to keep the hammer!”

“But he was the last guy.” Sunset commented. “The game is over.”

“Well…” Trixie smirked. “The game IS finished, but she can still take the hammer. If Rainbow plays again with the same character, she can use the hammer.”

“Neat!” Rainbow Dash fist pumped.

“Girls, we’re tryin’ to relax here…” Applejack said after sighing.

Rainbow Dash chuckled. “Oh, sorry AJ. We didn’t meant to- Gah!” Rainbow Dash got startled by Applejack’s appearance. Like Rarity, she was wearing a mascara and cucumbers on her eyes laying back against a pillow. Pinkie Pie, Trixie and I giggled by this reaction. Sunset, on the other hand, repressed it, but still smiled.

I looked at my friends. They were all having a good time. I better keep going. “Okay, everyone. I think that we leave the board games aside and focus on our next activity.”

“Which is…?” Trixie asked, smiling.

I raised my hands into the air, grinning. “Truth or dare!”

Rarity instantly sat up and removed the cucumbers from her eyes. She focused her eyes on mine. “Truth or dare?!” She squealed happily. “Now you have my attention, darling!”

“Oh, no!” Rainbow Dash protested as she placed her hands on her face. “I’m doomed!”


On the next morning, everyone started to leave. I hugged them goodbye until only Sunset and Trixie remained. Trixie was fully awoken, watching out the window, and Sunset was still yawning, fighting to keep her eyes open.

“That’s my mom!” Trixie smiled when her mother parked in front of my house.

“I’m coming…” Sunset yawned again. She tried to smile at me but failed miserably. Apparently, Sunset wasn’t a morning person. Was I mean for finding the scene amusing? “It was a fun night, Twilight. I hope we can do it again.”

“Me too.” I smiled at her, maybe more than I intended since I was repressing giggles.

Sunset placed a hand on my shoulder. “Good luck with Aria.”

I blushed and nodded. “Th-Thank you…”

Trixie opened the door and walked towards her mothers’ car, followed by Sunset. They turned back to look at me and I gave them a final wave. They waved back, and so did Trixie’s mom. I didn’t close the door until they drove away.

With the door closed, I rested my back on the door and sighed happily. The sleepover was a complete success! And now that it was done, I allowed certain thoughts to return. Aria Blaze. Placing my hand on my chest, I felt my heart pounding against my chest.

My parents are fine with Aria. Cadence and my brother support me too, and while not all of my friends are completely excited with Aria, I do have Sunset’s support. I moved my gaze to the ceiling. My parents and Spike are still sleeping. Maybe I should surprise mom and dad with breakfast in bed. Once I eat, I’ll get started with my latest project.

Figure how to confess my feelings to Aria!

Author's Note:

I’m so, so, so sorry for taking so long :fluttershyouch:

I had this D&D session in mind since before writing the first chapter and I wanted to make sure I wrote the experience as realistically as possible :twilightsmile:

But! As you read in the final scene, from now on, Twilight will focus on trying to confess! :pinkiehappy:
Any chapter now could be the big one, people. The long wait is coming to an end! :raritystarry:

I want to give Windsor and Zalla661 some big thanks for helping me with this chapter. Their experience with D&D was very helpful! :pinkiehappy: