• Published 25th Oct 2018
  • 4,095 Views, 956 Comments

My Chemical Reaction - MysteriousStranger



Still recovering from the Midnight Sparkle incident, Twilight seeks to distract herself with a new book she's eager to read, but she soon discovers that she's not the only one interested in it.

  • ...
11
 956
 4,095

Little Lost Anabelle

Twilight’s P.O.V.

I’m such a mess. I’m doing the exact opposite of what Cadence advised me to do. But it’s so easy to lose myself! Every time I was with Aria, my heart flutters and I couldn’t think straight. With my feelings growing, I’m not certain if I’ll be able to keep them in check forever.

“That’s all for today, class. Don’t forget to do your homework.”

As the teacher dismissed the last class of the day, everyone, including me, walked out of the classroom. However, unlike most students, I didn’t head to the exit. Instead, I headed to the library to clear my thoughts. Aria could tell something was odd about me yesterday and I had to lie to her. I think it worked, but I can’t do that again. Hopefully, the library will be a good distraction. I hugged my books and hastened my pace, wanting to get there as fast as I could. So much so that I didn’t really look what was in front of me, which caused me to collide with someone.

The collision made me drop my books. “I’m so sorry! I was distracted!” I apologized to the boy I bumped into as I knelt to pick up my books. The student I crashed into also knelt to help me.

"It's okay, don't worry." I looked at him after his last word.

He had spiky blue hair that matched his eyes and jeans, he was also wearing a black jacket similar to Sunset's. Oh! Oh my gosh! This student... I-I am pretty sure I met him before, but I can't remember his name. Or rather, I think he never told me?

"Twilight? Is everything alright?" This person... Isn't he the same guy I bumped into during the Friendship Games?

I interrupted my line of thought when I realized that he was staring at me in a funny way. "I-I'm fine!" I quickly picked up my books and got back on my feet. The blue haired boy did the same and handed me the last of my books. "O-Oh! Thank you... Er..."

"Ah, right! I never introduced myself. I’m Flash Sentry, it's nice to meet you again Twilight." To my surprise, and confusion, the boy suddenly panicked. "I mean, not that the first time we met wasn't pleasant!"

That sounded... Weird. I guess I should thank him, he did hand me my books. "Hmm... Thank you... Flash, right?"

"Yup, that's me, Flash Sentry!" He made an awkward chuckle while pointing to himself with his thumb. I'm... Not sure how I should react to that. I don't even know how to talk to this person or who he is, I guess I should get going before things get weirder.

"Well, see you later then Flash!" I brought my books closer to my chest and tried to make a run for it, but then I felt his hand on shoulder when I was about to pass by him.

"Twilight, wait!" I am pretty sure I let out a small 'squeak' when he called me out. "Are you free right now? My friends and I were going to grab some food at Burger Prince before our band practice, would you like to come with us?"

He blushed after inviting me and looked away while scratching the back of his head. Did he just ask me out!? Okay, this definitely got weirder!

“Umm… I-I…?”

All the progress I have made to keep my anxiety under check has been nullified. What should I do? I have to reject him, but I can’t even proper a complete sentence... wait, that’s not how… even my brain is working against me! Please, someone, help me!

"Hi, Twilight." I quickly glanced to where the friendly voice came from.

Trixie was walking towards Flash Sentry and me. I internally sighed in relief knowing Trixie would get me out of this. I honestly didn't know how to reply to Flash and I could feel my legs starting to shake. Thank goodness for sending Trixie to save me!

"Trixie came looking for you since you were taking too long," My friend said waving to me.

“Y-Yeah, I’m sorry about that.” I gave her a nervous smile to playing along.

"Oh... You girls have plans together?" Flash let go of my shoulder. The disappointment in his voice was bizarrely genuine.

"Indeed! For the Great and Powerful Trixie will be studying under the Wise and All-Knowing Twilight for this afternoon!" A giggle escaped my mouth after hearing that. I am pretty sure I don't know it all, Trixie, but I have to admit, that's an epic stage name.

"I see... Well, I don't want to delay you two any longer, so, see ya." Despite Flash giving us a smile before leaving, I could tell he was struggling. Now I feel bad for him a bit. Yet, if Trixie haven't show up, I am pretty sure my anxiety would've taken over. I mean, a boy that I barely know just asked me out and kept giving me strange looks while we talked? That was very uncomfortable to say the least.

I could feel my legs again when he was finally gone. "Thank you so much, Trixie."

"You're welcome, Twilight. If it wasn't for Trixie's great intervention, why! You would've fallen to your knees." She took a very proud stance, placing one hand in front of her chest, the other on her hip, while standing tall and with her eyes closed. I let out another giggle at that. But as soon as Trixie made that pose, she reversed back to normal and gave me a very worried expression. "But being serious now. Are you really okay, Twilight? You looked like a second away from a panic attack."

"Don't worry, I am fine now, Trixie." I told my friend in the most reassuring way possible. "It's just..." I made a pause and turned my head back to the way Flash went. "While I think he was a good guy, I don't know anything about him and out of nowhere he asked me out. Sure, it wasn't on a date, but it still made uncomfortable since we're complete strangers to each other."

Trixie place a hand on her chin and said thoughtfully. "I guess he still can't keep you apart from the other Twilight".

Then it hit me like a brick wall. Not only Flash Sentry was the guy I bumped into during the Friendship Games, but he was also the same guy Sunset warned me had a crush on the pony me! I really wish I could say that things made sense now, but the way he was acting with me is pretty much how I act near Aria sometimes. It just makes things more awkward. I mean, what do you do when someone likes your ‘twin’, but keeps mistaking you for them? I really don't want to come out as rude or make him dislike me, I had enough people hating me back at CPA, yet I can't just accept his advances. It wasn't fair to me or him... And it would feel like I was cheating on Aria...

Wait, What!? What am I thinking!? Aria and I aren't even dating! Oh my gosh, I could feel my face getting hot and smoke come out of my ears.

"Wow, Twilight! You're burning!" I heard Trixie shout in worry. "Are you sure you’re okay?"

"Y-Yes. It's just..." I couldn't find words to reply to her. "Let's just forget about that any of this happened and move on."

Trixie frowned concerned and then nodded. “Alright, so… where were you going, really?” My heart rate was slowly getting back to normal.

“To the library. I want to read a little before going home. I might do some homework while I’m at it too. Will you walk me there?” I asked Trixie.

My friend smiled faintly. “Sure, as long as you don’t ask me to go in. I’m not in the mood for books today.”

I giggled and glanced at her. “Are you allergic to knowledge like Rainbow?”

Trixie chuckled. “I wouldn’t go that far. I just had a big math test today and I want to relax until tomorrow.”

I arched a brow at Trixie. “You did? And how do you think it went?”

“A test is no match for Trixie! She nailed every single exercise.” Trixie placed her hands on her hips and smirked proudly.

“Are you sure?” I asked with a smile.

Trixie lost her smug smile and started to play with her index fingers. “I-I’m pretty sure I have the half right.”

I giggled before speaking again. “Did you study alone?”

“N-No. Sunset came over to help me a couple of times, but there were… distractions,” Trixie said her cheek turning a deep red.

“What kind of distractions…?” I asked.

My friend’s face turned even deeper red and she raised her voice. “I-It’s not what you think! My dog, Pixie, gets jealous and demanded attention! Besides, Sunset's priority was to help me study, nothing more!”

I opened my eyes wide, surprised by the sudden outburst. “Trixie, why did you raise your voice?”

“Oh, you mean you weren’t implying…” Trixie sighed as her face returned to its original color. “I’m sorry. I thought you meant something else.”

“What did you-” As I spoke, I fixed my eyes on the front. The library was nearby, but someone I knew appeared from it. “Wait, isn’t that… Applejack?”

Trixie followed my gaze and Applejack turned her head toward us. She wasn’t looking so good. Her expression showed signs of desperation. Upon spotting us, she ran towards us.

“Twilight, Trixie! Ah’m glad yer here!” I never saw her shake like this. Something terrible must be going on.

“What’s wrong, Applejack?” I asked to my friend.

“Everythin’ is wrong! Ah lost it, Twilight! Ah lost mah project!”

“You mean, Anabelle?” Trixie asked before I got a word in. Applejack looked at her and nodded.

“Yes. Ah don’t know what happened! Ah was doing’ homework at the library with the egg on the table. Ah left for a second to look for a book, and when ah returned, it was gone!”

“Applejack!” I almost dropped my books after hearing the news. “How could you leave your project laying around, even for a second?!”

“Ah didn’t think it would just disappear!” My farmer friend had both of her hands on her head. She was looking even more uneasy.

“Remember that the project is designed to simulate the babysitting of a baby. You must always keep an eye on them!”

“Ah know, but an egg is an egg, not a baby! It can’t move on its own!” Applejack nearly yelled.

“Even so! Applejack, you should have taken your project more seriously. I can’t believe you were so irresponsible!” I retorted.

“Alright, both of you, calm down!” Trixie stood between me and Applejack, separating us with her arms. The magician glanced at me, frowning. “Twilight, stop adding logs into the fire. You’re not making it easier for her.”

“I…” I glanced at Trixie and blinked several times, confused, before looking at Applejack again. Her eyes were wet. Oh, my gosh… what kind of friend was I? I took a deep breath and released it. “Applejack, I’m so sorry. I suppose I got anxious…”

“It’s fine, Twilight, ah deserved it.” Her voice was breaking, which didn’t make me feel any better.

Trixie glanced at the farmer girl next. “Applejack, where was the last time you saw the egg.”

“On the table ah was doin’ my homework. This way.” Trixie and I followed Applejack into the library, where she took us to the table where she lost her project. “The egg was right here.”

I put my books away before examining the table while Applejack and Trixie stayed behind me. I found no traces of egg yolk on the table nor on the floor. “Applejack-” I called my friend as I turned around. She was so tense that she was barely blinking. She even had her Stetson off. She was holding it with a hand on her chest level while she used her other hand to clean her sweat from her head. We have to get to the bottom of this. “The most likely scenario is that someone took it.”

“Why would someone take an egg lying around the library?” Applejack frowned in confusion.

“Maybe they thought it was lost?” Trixie took a step forward. “Should we try ‘Lost and found’?”

“Ah don’t know if someone would take an egg there. If anything, they would take it to the kitch—oh, no!” Applejack covered her mouth with a hand. “Twilight, we have to go to the kitchen!”

“Wait, Applejack. Wasn’t Anabelle wearing a tutu?” My farmer friend nodded to answer my question. “Then they wouldn’t take it there. I doubt anybody would eat a dressed-up egg.”

Applejack sighed, relieved. “Then, what do we do?”

“Ask around if someone saw it?” Trixie suggested.

I took a hand to my chin to think. Asking around wasn’t a bad idea. “It’s a start. Maybe someone saw something.” We spent the following ten minutes asking the students and staff around the library and looked for more clues without success. Defeated, we returned to the table Applejack used.

“I suppose all we have left is looking at the ‘Lost and Found’ section.” Trixie commented, crossing her arms.

Applejack sighed and barely lifted her head. “Ah guess so…”

“There’s still time before the staff leaves. Let’s go.” I said before my friends and I walked out of the library. I nervously held my own hands and walked closer to Applejack. There’s still guilt within me. “So… what will happen if we don’t find Anabelle?” A little small talk is bound to help.

My farmer friend didn’t reply right away. Her lips quivered. “Rarity and ah will have to write a long and boring essay about responsibility over spring break. That, provided ah survive until next week.” She didn’t look at me when she replied. Is she mad at me?

“I didn’t take Rarity as a violent person.” Trixie commented.

“You clearly haven’t seen her mad. Ah mean really mad.” Applejack briefly made eye contact with Trixie when she talked to her. “Trust me, you don’t want to.”

Trixie widened her eyes in shock and nodded. Personally, I have never seen Rarity furious before, but judging by Applejack’s words, it’s better if I never witness it. I glanced at Applejack next. She still looked terrible, but I think she had a faint smile. At least Trixie and I were improving her mood. Not by much, but it’s something. I grabbed her wrist to catch her attention. When she looked at me, I smiled. “Anabelle has to be somewhere, Applejack. We’ll find her.”

The farmer girl nodded. “Thank you, Twilight. Ah’m happy ah ran into you two. Yer givin’ me hope.”

“And hopefully a reunion too.” Trixie said as she walked faster to open the principal’s office. She allowed Applejack and me to walk in first.

“Thanks, Trixie.” Applejack said. I looked at Trixie and saw that she smiled.

Upon walking into the office, I saw that only vice-principal Luna was inside.

“Good afternoon, students. To what do I owe you this visit?”

“Hello.” I waved at the vice-principal. “We need to check the ‘Lost and Found’ box. There’s an object we’re hoping to recover.”

“Of course.” Vice-Principal Luna smiled warmly and used her legs to move herself with the rolling office chair she was sitting on. She then leaned and grabbed a box from under her desk. She stood up and placed the box on a table beside us.

“I’ll be archiving on the back room. Call me if you need anything,” She said.

“Thank you.” After thanking the vice-principal, me and my friends approached the box.

“Ah don’t know ‘bout this. If someone placed an egg in here, it would have gotten crushed by all the other things,” Applejack said, looking worried.

“You lost Anabelle less than an hour ago. It’s likely that it was the last object added.” Trixie commented.

“Then, by that logic, we should be able to find mah project easily, and ah’m not seeing it anywhere.”

Applejack was right. There were no signs of Anabelle so far, but we can’t give up yet. “Let’s check every inch of this box. Maybe they covered your project with some kind of protection to prevent that.”

We took everything out of the box and opened every single container in case Anabelle was inside. We searched thoroughly for ten minutes, revising every inch of the box, making sure of not leaving anything behind. Unfortunately, Anabelle was nowhere to be seen.

“That’s it, we searched everywhere…” Applejack said as she walked towards the door, with her head down. “Ah’ll tell Rarity that ah messed up.”

“Wait, Applejack, no!” I hurried to her side. “We can search in the library again.”

My farmer friend looked at me. Her eyes were not only wet. I could also see tears going down her cheeks. My heart sank when I saw how bad she was. “There’s no use. Ah have to accept the facts and face Rarity.” Her voice was cracking a bit. “But ah appreciate yer help.” Applejack left the office while Trixie and I followed her.

“Applejack, don’t give up just yet.” Trixie said. “There must be something we’re missing.” Applejack turned around and opened her mouth to say something, but someone interrupted her.

“Applejack, there you are!” The voice came from behind us. We turned our heads to see Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo approaching. Applejack’s sister was the one to speak. “We were lookin’ for you, sis!”

Applejack quickly cleaned her tears with a hand before the three children reached us. “Apple Bloom? What do you need?”

“We wanted to return Anabelle to you.” Sweetie Belle said.

“You… what?” Applejack’s eyes widened, just like Trixie’s and mines. They found her?

Apple Bloom nodded before taking Anabelle from Sweetie Belle to hand her to her older sister.

“Anabelle!” Applejack quickly took her project and hugged her into her cheek. “Ah’m so happy to see you, sugarcube! Yer okay, yer okay!”

“Aww!” Both Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom said at a unison. Upon hearing them. My farmer friend looked at them and blushed.

“Ah… umm…” Applejack cleared her throat and kept Anabelle close to her chest. “We were lookin’ for her everywhere. Where was she?”

“Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo and ah wanted to take some photos with her to remember our niece.” Apple Bloom replied while she and her friends smiled, but their expression changed when Applejack glared at them.

“You took her…?” Applejack’s face quickly changed from surprise to anger. “You took her without asking me first?!”

“W-We were going to ask, but… we didn’t see you.” Scootaloo’s voice was shaking. “Anabelle was just lying there.”

“And we took the photos and tried to return her to you, but you were gone.” Sweetie Belle spoke next.

“Ah don’t believe this! Ah was worried sick! Ah thought she was gone for good!” I think I could see a vein on Applejack’s forehead. Apple Bloom and her friends were shaking.

“W-We’re so sorry! We didn’t think it would be a big deal!” Apple Bloom said while friends took cover behind her. Applejack opened her mouth to say something else, but her eyes moved behind her sister and her friends. Trixie and I followed her gaze. We saw that Rarity was approaching.

Applejack took a deep breath to calm down before speaking, but her voice still showed signs of anger. “We’ll continue this conversation later. Go home.”

“Sis, we-” Apple Bloom tried to speak again, but Applejack raised a hand to silence her.

“Don’t make me repeat mahself. Ah need to cool off. Please, do as ah say,” Applejack replied.

“O-Okay…” Applejack’s sister and her friends ran towards the exit. I watched them leave before turning to my farmer friend. She was massaging her forehead with her free hand.

“Ah didn’t want to yell at them, especially not in front of you two, but they didn’t leave me a choice.” Applejack glanced at me. She looked guilty. “Did ah go too far?” I didn’t have the chance to reply. Rarity reached us.

“Applejack, Twilight, Trixie, darlings. It’s good to see you three.” Rarity’s eyes found Anabelle. “And there’s momma’s girl. Did you have fun with Applejack, dear?” The fashionista reached her hands towards her project and Applejack gave it to her.

“Yeah, she made me company while ah was doing mah homework.” Applejack forced a smile. It looked like she really struggled to beam.

“Wonderful!” Rarity rubbed the top of Anabelle’s head before glancing towards the exit. “Where you talking to my sister and her friends just now?” Applejack’s lips quivered. Was she going to say the truth? She opened her mouth to reply, but Trixie spoke first.

“Yes, they just wanted to ask-”

“Wait, Trixie…” Applejack raised a hand at the magician to interrupt her. “Ah appreciate what yer tryin’ to do, but ah’m not fond with lies.”

“Lies?” Rarity was confused. “Did something happen?”

“Y-Yes…” My farmer friend took a deep breath before continuing. “Ah… lost Anabelle for a while…” Rarity’s expression changed drastically in a blink of an eye. Her smile disappeared and her eyes widened in shock. Then, she frowned angrily and glared at Applejack.

“Y-You lost her?! Applejack, explain, now!” Rarity bellowed.

My farmer friend took a step back, scared. “Ah’m sorry!” She raised her hands defensively. “Ah left her alone for a minute to look for somethin’ and when ah returned, she was gone. It’s okay, though. Turns out mah sister and her friends took her. She doesn’t have a single scratch.”

“But you still left her unattended, Applejack! You should have kept an eye on our baby all the time! I trusted you with her!” Applejack looked away while Rarity scolded her. She was ashamed and couldn’t maintain eye contact with her. I had to say something.

“Rarity-” The fashionista turned her head towards me when I called her, still enraged. “It was an accident. She didn’t know someone would take her.”

“She left her alone, Twilight. It’s like she doesn’t care about her safety!” Rarity spat back.

“Of course she does!” I walked next to Applejack before speaking again. “Since the moment Anabelle went missing, Applejack looked for her without resting. I saw how worried she was. She was determined to find her.”

“We helped her.” Trixie joined me. “We looked for Anabelle for the past hour, we asked everyone at the library, we searched in the ‘Lost and Found’ section. We looked everywhere until we found her.”

“Ah cried…” Applejack sniffed, taking us all by surprise.

Her eyes were wet again. “Rarity, ah was worried sick. Ah was scared. All ah could think is how ah failed you.” My farmer friend finally made eye contact with Rarity again. “Ah didn’t want to disappoint you. Ah know ah screwed up and ah’m very, very sorry. Ah promise it won’t happen again.” Applejack cleaned her tears with an arm and looked away again.

Rarity’s anger disappeared completely. She looked from Anabelle to Applejack before walking towards the blonde girl and placing a hand on her shoulder. When Applejack glanced at her, Rarity smiled faintly. “I’m not disappointed, darling. You looked for her everywhere until you found her. You didn’t do it on purpose.”

“O-Of course ah didn’t.” Applejack looked at Rarity. “Ah mean it, ah’ll be extra careful from now on. Please, let me make it up to you.”

Rarity frowned thoughtfully for a few seconds before smiling brightly. “Alright, there’s something you can do.”

“Anything.” Applejack had her full attention on her childhood friend.

“I’m crafting a new outfit and I would love some company. Are you free right now?”

Applejack blinked, dumbfounded, and then smirked. “Can do. Ah just need to let Big Mac know.”

“Wonderful!” Rarity and Applejack started to walk away. “Ciao, darlings! See you tomorrow!” The fashionista waved at Trixie and me.

“Goodbye.” We waved back at her. Once they were gone, I turned to Trixie, smiling. “I’m glad that turned out well.”

“Yes, that was certainly good.” My friend commented. She stared into the exit Rarity and Applejack just used for a few seconds before turning to me. “I don’t know about you, but Trixie is ready to leave. See you later.” My friend headed towards the door.

“Bye.” I waved at her.

Trixie stopped by the door and turned her head towards me. She smirked at me before leaving. Once alone, I held my arm with my own hand and sighed. When I asked for a distraction, I was hoping to distract myself with a book. I’m happy that Trixie and I were able to help Applejack. Assisting a friend in need was just what I needed. I crossed my arms behind my back and smiled to myself as I headed outside. I definitely earned a treat. I think that I’m going to take Spike to the park and read, Young Sorceress Academia on a bench. Yes, that’s a good idea.

Author's Note:

No matter what, friends will always have your back :twilightsmile:

I want to thank zalla661 for revising this chapter before it’s release. I also want to give a special thanks to my second assistant, Windsor, for helping me with the scene between Flash Sentry, Twilight and Trixie :pinkiehappy: