• Published 25th Oct 2018
  • 4,115 Views, 956 Comments

My Chemical Reaction - MysteriousStranger



Still recovering from the Midnight Sparkle incident, Twilight seeks to distract herself with a new book she's eager to read, but she soon discovers that she's not the only one interested in it.

  • ...
11
 956
 4,115

New Experiment

Aria’s P.O.V.

I finally had my answer for Twilight. I just really felt bad for making her wait all day, but I had to consult with Adagio. All I have to do is to open my mouth and speak… speak! Come on, tongue! Don’t do this to me now! This is why you asked her for time! This is why you had that long conversation with Adagio! I could still hear her words echoing in my head over and over.


The previous night…

After Twilight closed the door behind her, I remained staring at her door for some time. I'm not sure how I feel about this situation. My only friend has just revealed that she wants to date me and I’m sure that she has been wanting for a while. Only in Adagio's favorite movies are romantic feeling spontaneous and work out, but this is real deal. Unlike in those movies, I didn’t instantly know how to reply to her confession.

I’m confused, worried, maybe even a bit scared? The one thing I’m sure of is that I still want to be around her, which is why I asked her for time to think. Speaking of which, I better hurry back before my sisters begin to worry about me. I’d never hear the end of it if I got home late after being with Twilight from Adagio. I turned around and walked with a fast pace back home. I don’t want to make Twilight wait longer than necessary.


Once back home, I opened the front door slowly trying not to make any noise. At this time, my sisters are always asleep so I have a chance to get in unnoticed. I locked the door behind me and walked on my tiptoes to avoid making any noise. The plan was to wake up Adagio by my own means. I moved across the living room, but a voice stopped me dead in my tracks

“I didn’t think you’d be back so soon.” It was my older sister’s voice.

I slowly turned to see the back of Adagio’s head leaning against the back of the couch. She spoke without looking at me. I also realized that I was holding my breath. I took a stepforward, releasing my breath with a huff before walking to the other side of the couch to meet my sister. I immediately noticed that Sonata was there too, but sleeping while leaning against Adagio’s shoulder. I could hear my little sister’s soft snores as she mumbled in her sleep. I also saw that Adagio was wearing her night robes and holding a glass of wine, the bottle sitting on the end table was half empty now. I wondered just how long they were here waiting for me?

"I thought you would be asleep by now," I commented with whispers trying not wake Sonata up.

“I had to make sure you were back,” My sister said, before taking a sip of her drink. “I told you that I wouldn’t be able to sleep until you did so.”

I smiled faintly. It was nice of her to do that, but I found it hard to express my gratitude in words. I quickly crossed my arms, looking at her in the eyes and steeled my nerves as I tried to mentally prepare myself for my long conversation to come. I wasn’t looking forward to this, but it has to be done. For Twilight.

“Adagio… we need to talk,” I said a bit harsher sounding than I wanted.

“Oh?” She widened her eyes, surprised. “You sound serious.”

“I am…” I sighed and looked away trying to hide my face behind my hair. “Something big happened tonight. Something we need to talk about right now.”

My sister frowned at me, considering my words. After a few seconds, she nodded. “Very well. Just let me take Sonata to her room. Wait for me at the kitchen.”

I nodded silently as Adagio placed her wine glass on the coffee table to carry Sonata to her bed while I headed to the kitchen. I sat down at the dinner table and waited for my sister to return. While waiting, I tried to think of how to ask Adagio for help. I needed to be specific with her if i was to get anything useful. My sister returned around a minute after I sat down beside me holding her wine again.

“I’m here, Aria. Now, tell me what happened. Did you two get mugged?” She asked sounding a little concerned.

“No, nothing like that,” I shook my head as I spoke. “Twilight and I aren’t hurt. I walked her back home without any incidents.”

Adagio sighed in relief. “Good…” She took another sip of her wine before setting it aside.

“Then… what happened?” She asked with her hands on top of each other.

I took a deep breath and released it. “Okay… I’ll get straight to the point. Just, please, Adagio, no teasing. Now’s really is not the best time. I-I need your advice.”

“Now this sounds very serious.” My sister frowned again. “Go on…”

“Okay, here it goes…” I looked away from her. “Twilight… sh-she said that she wants to be my girlfriend…”

I looked directly into my older sisters eyes. This was it. I was about to tell my sister and I felt a strange mix of anxiety and excitement. What was it I felt right now at this moment? “Right after kissing me on the lips.”

Adagio gasped as she widened her eyes and covered her mouth with a hand. She didn’t say anything for a couple of seconds as I no doubt figured she was trying to process what I said. “Sh-She did?!” She exclaimed in whispers.

I gritted my teeth and clenched my fists. “You know I wouldn’t joke about something like this.”

“I-I know. It’s just… wow.” She blinked, dumbfounded. “Sonata and I might have joked about your closeness, but… I don’t believe it.”

I sighed, feeling a bit more relaxed hearing her so calm and not teasing me. “Neither do I…”

“And…” My sister tapped her fingers on the table. “What did you tell her?”

“I don’t know how I feel, so… I asked for time to think.” I sighed again. “It’s no secret that romance isn’t my thing Adagio, so… I wanted to ask for your advice on the matter.”

Adagio placed a hand on her chin to think. “It’s true that you haven’t got a clue about romance whatsoever, but you’re capable of having feelings. True you may express your anger and frustration most, but you are capable of other feelings too.” She made eye contact with me while I tried to connect the dots to see where she was going with this.

She gave an exasperated sigh rubbing her forehead. “Before meeting Twilight, you didn’t have a clue about friendship either. And look at yourself now. You not only have friends, you go out of your way to be with her and your general behavior has improved greatly.”

I nodded, feeling warmth in on my cheeks hearing Adagio say that. “I know. I came to you because I want to avoid hurting Twilight’s feelings, if possible.”

Just then my sister gave me a concerned look that sent red flags in my mind. “Aria, dear, if it turns out that you don’t feel the same way as her, a heartbreak is unavoidable.”

That comment made my insides sink. When Twilight started to cry because she thought I was going to reject her feelings, it was too painful to see. It really was. I don’t want to be the reason of her tears no matter what.

“Adagio…” My voice was cracked a bit. “There has to be another way.”

“I’m afraid there isn’t…” My sister adopted a saddened expression. “Crushes are either reciprocated or are not at all.”

That hit me hard. I felt my blood begin to boil as my sister’s words sank in. I couldn’t believe what she was suggesting to me!

“Don’t say that!” I cried, standing up abruptly and slamming my hands on the table nearly causing her glass to fall. “Don’t even suggest breaking her heart!”

"Aria, quiet down!" Adagio scolded me in whispers, catching her wine before it fell. “Sonata’s sleeping!”

I snarled at her before sitting back on the chair, crossing my arms and avoiding looking at her. Adagio sighed and tried to reach out to me with her hand. She took my hands in hers and caressed them. I felt myself calming down as she gently rubbed my hands. I looked at her, feeling a calming warmth as I looked into my sister's eyes. I looked away wondering how she developed such motherly instincts, she always knew how to calm Sonata and me down no matter how angry or sad we got. I admire that about her as a leader and as a sister.

“Now, listen, I’m not suggesting you to reject her feelings, all I’m saying is that it’s a possibility and I want to prepare you in case this comes to that,” She said, snapping me back from my stupor.

“What should I do then?” I asked desperately grasping for straws at this point.

“You asked Twilight for time to think, so think."

“What do you mean?” I narrowed my eyes in confusion.

“I mean… go to your room. Take your time to think about everything you do with Twilight. What you like and what you dislike about her. Think about what you would do for her and what you wouldn’t. You already have your answer… you just need to find it.”

“Really? Are you sure?”

My sister nodded. “Aria, I can’t tell you how you should feel. I can’t control your feelings either. You need to focus on your heart, hear what it says.”

I gave her words some thought. I was hoping she would tell me exactly what to say to Twilight. So much for the easy solution. At least I’m not as clueless as I was before. I have something to do, or better say, to think about.

“Let me give you a few things to think about,” Adagio said holding my hands firmly. “Since you met her, you became friends, you went out of your way to help her, you protect her, care about her feelings, and clearly you at least like her parents and they like to have you watch her dog. So, to be honest I think your answer should be pretty clear. I still want you to give this some serious thought Aria. You absolutely can not rush this. Okay?”

I made eye contact with Adagio and nodded. “Okay, I’ll try.”

My sister smiled pulling me into a tight hug. My face became smothered by her large poofy hair, but all things considered I didn’t mind. I returned her embrace. I felt very calm holding my sister like this.

“It’s been a while since we’ve been this close hasn’t it?” Adagio asked stroking my hair. “You’ll be fine, Aria. I know you’ll make the right decision.”

I smiled at that comment, feeling reassured by my sisters confidence in me. “I’ll do my best.”

“Good. Now, if that’s settled…” She said as she stood up and took her wine glass. “I’m heading to bed. I hope that you can clear your mind while consulting your pillow.”

“Adagio…” I stood up and scratched the back of my neck. I struggled to say the following words, but not as much as I thought. “Thank you. I mean it. If it weren’t for you… this whole situation would be driving me crazy. You really gave me something to think about.”

A smug smile appeared on her face, and for once, this didn’t bother me.

“You’re welcome, Aria.” With that, she walked out of the kitchen and onto her room. I didn’t move from where I was until after I heard the door of her room close. I massaged my forehead with my hand and then Twilight invaded my thoughts. I smiled, but then, I yawned. I won’t fall asleep right away, but I want to lay down. Adagio suggested me to consult it with the pillow, so that’s what I’m going to do.


In the end I spent around an hour thinking about Twilight before I was able to sleep. She was even in my dreams. I still remember that dream fondly. I was back in Equestria and in my Siren form, swimming in a vast ocean, but Twilight still looked as a human. I carried her in my back as I swam in the waters and she looked at all the wondrous creatures only my world could offer. From sea ponies, to larger leviathans of the deep, it was a world of wonder for her. It gave me hope that I could give something like that to her.

I woke up this morning with a good mood thanks to that dream. I spent all day thinking about my time with her, and now, I finally have an answer. After reminiscing about what I did since I last saw my friend, I blinked several times and returned to reality. Twilight was still looking at me intensely, worried and anxious. Don’t worry, cub, the wait is over.

“Twilight, thank you for allowing me to have time to think. My mind is clear and I have an answer for you.”

My friend nodded slowly. “O-Okay…”

“Sparks, after considering your confession I came to the conclusion that…” I made a short pause. Twilight had her hands intertwined together on her chest level in expectation. “that… I’m not a 100% sure about what my feelings on you are.”

Twilight frowned in confusion. “What? But… that’s the same thing you said yesterday.”

I nodded. “Yes, but there’s a twist now.” I said with a smile. My friend raised an eyebrow. “We became friends because I was curious about you. I pushed everyone away but something prevented me from doing the same with you.” Although it was actually a someone, she doesn’t need to know that right now. “You caught my attention. I enjoyed spending time with you, and I still want to be around you. So now, with your confession, I’m curious about what a relationship is about.”

“What are you saying?” My friend still didn’t fully understand what I meant.

Well, time to do what I do best, as Adagio would put it, it’s time to be direct.

“Twilight-” Still smiling, I took hold of her wrist. She focused her attention on my hand. “I’m saying that I want to try this out. I want to date you.”

Twilight sharply returned her attention to me, eyes widened and blushing hard. Her reaction gave me a warm feeling inside of me.

“Y-You- I-I- Wh- U-Uh-” The cute little sounds made me chuckle.

I took a step forward and focused my eyes on her. It did not help her. Her eyes widened even more and I think she reached here maximum level of red. I was enjoying this, both her reactions and my closeness to her.

“Alright there, take a deep breath. Try to calm down.” Enough was enough.

I won’t torture her more than necessary. For now. Twilight did what I said before looking at me.

“A-Aria… are you sure about this?” She leaned down her head but kept eye contact with me. “Because you don’t have to do it if you don’t want to.”

“But I want to.” I smiled at her. “Twilight, I wouldn’t mind being closer to you. In fact…”

I placed a hand on her shoulder and used the other to guide her gaze to meet mine. Looking into her deep magenta eyes I could see the tension in them.

“I’m looking forward to it. I was never fond of the idea of dating in general, but for you, I want to know what’s like.” I said.

Once again, Twilight was left speechless. She opened and closed her mouth, producing a variety of cute sounds instead of words. I want to have more fun with her! Smirking, I cut the distance between us and placed my arms around her in a hug. She gasped and stood completely still.

This made me chuckle. “Come on, cub, we’ve hugged before.”

Twilight hesitated to speak, but she eventually managed to remember how to use her tongue. “B-But, it’s d-different now. Y-You… w-we…”

“Just hug me like you have been wanting to since you got a crush on me.”

My friend looked away, considering my words. Then, she put her arms around me and embraced me. She did it gently at first, but then she hugged me tightly. She exhaled happily as she relaxed her body. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t enjoying this, but I still think it’s too soon to know why exactly. We remained silent, holding each other for a long, long time. Twilight broke the silence after who knows how many minutes passed.

“S-So… what are you proposing us to do, exactly?” She looked up at me. “Just date like any other couple?”

“More or less.” I smiled at her, which got her nervous, in a good way. “We can take this as one of your experiments in your lab. We can try going on, let’s say, five dates, and we’ll see if I can figure what kind of feelings I have towards you. We’ll call it a trial period.”

“I like the sound of that.” Twilight smiled. “Do you have any conditions? Like, can we hold hands or… s-snuggle?”

“Oh?” I blinked, confused. Why did the word ‘snuggle’ make her feel so nervous? “I suppose we can do all that. But for now, I think that it’s best if we avoid kisses on the lips.”

“Oh, no…” My friend covered her face with her hands, turned her back on me and took a few steps away from me. “Th-That weirded you out, didn’t it? I was way out of line! I’m so sorry…”

“No, no, no, no!” I approached her and placed a hand on her shoulder. ”It’s not that. I just think that we save them for when and if I return your feelings.”

Twilight turned around, removing her hands from her face, hugging herself and avoiding my gaze. She still looked ashamed.

“From what I could see in the movies Adagio likes to watch, people usually kiss when they’re both in love. Adagio said that kisses, especially the first one, is like a seal of their relationship.”

The bashful girl dared to make eye contact with me. “Now, you have already kissed me, but I didn’t kiss you back. Maybe it’s best if we put the kisses on hold until I’m certain about my feelings on you.”

Twilight narrowed her eyes in thought. She reflected on my words before speaking again. “I understand.” She smiled lightly. “Alright, I’ll refrain the kisses on the lips. But… what about the cheeks?”

I placed a hand on my chin and narrowed my eyes. “I suppose those are fine. Anywhere but the lips should be okay.”

When I wasn’t paying attention, I felt something on my free hand. I darted my eyes towards it to find that Twilight took hold of it. When she realized that I was looking, Twilight quickly looked away. I couldn’t believe how bashful she was being. Just how into me is she? How could she hide her crush on me for so long? Maybe my ignorance in love was the reason I never noticed anything.

With the conditions set, I think it’s time to officially start this experiment. “Alright, Twilight, let’s go.”

She looked at me with her eyes widen. “Go where?”

I smirked. “To our first date, of course.”

My friend’s jaw dropped. Once again, she struggled to speak. “Wh-uh-n-now?!”

I nodded. “Yes. Adagio gave me some money. Let’s go for a walk and see if there’s something we can do.”

“I-I-u-umm…” I could feel the heat on the hand she was using to hold mine. She also shifted her eyes left and right in shock. There was something about her behavior that amused me. Maybe I should try teasing her a little bit more.

“If you’re having second thoughts, then maybe-”

“No!” Twilight’s raised her voice all of the sudden. I looked at her, shocked. She was as surprised by her reaction as me, but she recovered. “We’re going out! I want to go out!”

She tightened her grip on my hand and lead me out of her room. As we approached the staircase, Spike showed up and running.

“What happened? Why did you scream?” The poor confused dog looking between Twilight and me.

“It’s nothing, Spike.” Twilight stood still, looking at him seriously. “Aria and I are going on a date. I’ll be back later.”

As soon as she finished her sentence, she returned on her pace, dragging me with her. I looked at Spike. He tilted his head to a side, still confused but let Twilight pass without a fuss. “Mom, dad! I’m heading out with Aria!”

“Okay, dear, have fun!” I heard Velvet’s voice coming from another room.

“Wait, when did Aria get here?” Night Light commented. My friend didn’t say anything else. She took me outside and glanced around before choosing a path.

“Twilight-” I managed to speak after getting over the initial shock. “Where are we going?”

“We’re doing what you said-” She didn’t fully turn her head towards me to meet my eyes. She looked serious. “We’ll improvise!” She said, I blinked in astonishment by her sudden change of behavior. I went for a tease but I got more than I bargained for when she took the lead.

I didn’t dare to say anything. Her determination was a little scary. We walked into downtown and reached an area I recognized. I felt as if I’ve been here with Adagio and Sonata before. If I’m not mistaken, around here it should be-

“Here, we’ll have our date in this place.” Twilight stopped walking and glanced to a building next to us. I followed her gaze to see the place I was just thinking about. My date, it’s odd to call her that, chose the burger joint Sonata works in. ‘Burger Princess’.

“I know this place.” I commented, with my head leaning upwards, focusing on the restaurant’s sign.

“That’s great!” Twilight grinned at me. “We’re definitely going in if it has your endorsement.”

“But I didn’t-” She didn’t let me finish.

Twilight took hold of my wrist and led me inside, straight to one of the lines. While we waited, I looked around. The place mainly had false plants as decorations. I also saw a showcase where they exhibit the toys of their Royal Meals. On one of the walls, I could also see a framed photo of Sonata with her uniform with the words ‘Employee of the Month’ written in golden below. I never would have imagined that Sonata would get this far. I glanced at Twilight next. She looked so excited. She was still flushing, but she also wore a big smile. I bet that if she wasn’t busy holding my hand she would be clapping happily as well. Seeing her smile like this and knowing that I’m the reason made me smile as well.

“Hello, welcome to ‘Burger Princess’. May I take your orders?” Only when the cashier spoke was when I stopped staring at Twilight. I looked at him and smiled lightly before opening my mouth.

“Yes, we’ll-”

“Aria, is that you?!” I was interrupted when a too familiar voice called me from afar.

I shifted my head around and saw nobody. The cashier was confused, looking for the source of the voice. Suddenly, he was pushed away. I don’t know where he landed but I heard the sound of something getting broken. On where he used to be standing, Sonata appeared, grinning widely. I knew I wouldn’t be able to avoid her.

“It IS you!” She looked at Twilight next to me. She was caught off guard. “And you brought Twilight! What brings you here?!” She leaned on the counter in order to get closer to us.

I couldn’t reply since Twilight answered first. “We’re here…” She recovered from the surprise and was now smiling again. “On a date.”

I panicked realizing what Twilight just said. I quickly turned my head towards her. D-DON’T TELL HER!

“A date?” Sonata raised an eyebrow, confused. “Oh!”

Now she was grinning again. Please, don’t make a- “Adagio filled me in after I woke up. I’m so happy for this!” scene… Looking around, I realized that everyone was staring at us and Twilight noticed it. Her excitement turned to embarrassment. She was looking away, trying to hide her red face and squeezed my hand harder. Her uneasiness caused my eye to twitch and groan, gradually getting angry.

“When she told me that you were going to ask Twilight out, I wasn’t expecting that you would choose me! We have the couples milkshake! One milkshake and a heart shaped straw for you to share! I’ll prepare it myse-!”

For a brief moment in my mind something clicked. I remembered something, a memory of a time long past. I remembered swimming with other sirens, my eyes were fixated on another. I remembered her shimmering scales of gold and red and how I was entranced by them, along with beautiful red eyes. Another siren mocked me for it, saying they’d tell the siren about me eyeing her. I remember snapping at the siren yelling out at them just as my mind came back to reality.

“Sonata!” I called to stop her.

When she saw how furious I was getting, she stopped talking. At first, she looked angry for the interruption, but then she noticed how uneasy Twilight was. My sister’s expression quickly changed to guilt once she understood what was going on. Too late for that, Sonata. I grabbed her by the ponytail and pulled her close so I could whisper in to her ear. “When it’s me, I don’t care, but don’t make Twilight feel uncomfortable. Am I clear?” Despite my high level of anger, I managed to keep my tone to a whisper trying not to gather more attention than we already did. Sonata nodded, standing properly behind the cashier.

“I-I’m sorry…” My sister was very remorseful. I opened my mouth to keep scolding her, but Twilight caught my eye. When I looked at her, she gave me a ‘Please don’t be too hard on her’ look. Returning my gaze to Sonata, I saw her pouting and I think her eyes were starting to get wet. It probably won’t be a good idea to make her feel even worse, so I sighed instead and pinched my nose bridge with my free hand.

“Look, Sonata, just take our orders and forget about this, okay?”

“O-Okay…” My sister said in a barely audible voice and avoided my gaze. “What will it be?”

“I want the usual.” I said, managing to calm down a little.

“With mayo instead of mustard, right?” Sonata pressed some buttons and recovered her smile.

“Of course. You know that I can’t stand mustard.” I frowned at her, but then softened my expression when I glanced at my date, I didn’t feel as odd as before calling her that. “What will you want, cub?”

“Oh?” Twilight looked at me. Poor girl, she got distracted when we became the center of attention. I smiled at her and squeezed her hand to make her forget about what just happened.

“Oh! Hmm…” She narrowed her eyes in thought as she scanned the options, seemingly returning to her normal self. Watching her no longer uneasy greatly improved my mood. “I think I’ll have a number nine with extra dip? No mustard either. I want mayonnaise too.”

“Don’t worry, Twilight, I’ll make sure neither of your orders have mustard.” Sonata winked at her as she spoke. “Regular size or shall we make them Wumbo?”

“Wumbo?” Twilight asked, confused.

“She meant ‘Jumbo’.” I corrected my sister.

“Wumbo sounds better!” Sonata said with a grin.

“I see.” My friend smiled. “No, I’m fine with regular size.”

“Same here.” I said as I waved a hand around.

“Okey dokey!” Sonata finished pressing the buttons on the cash register and printed the ticket. She gave us the ticket after I paid. “Your number is twenty! Head to the withdrawal line and we’ll call you when your orders are ready.”

“Thank you.” I took the ticket with my free hand and before walking to the other line with Twilight. As we waited, I glanced at her and saw that all the determination she had before was gone. Instead, she looked nervous. Very nervous. Her hand was shaking in mine as we walked and she was staring at the floor. I must do something about it.

“Hey, Twilight…” I placed a hand on her chin and made her look at me. When we made eye contact, her jaw dropped in awe and her eyes dilated. Seeing this, I felt my cheeks burn. “Sorry about what happened. How are you holding up?”

“I-I’m fine.” She blinked before smiling slightly. “I was caught off guard, that’s all. Thank you, though, for not yelling at your sister.”

“It would only have made the situation worse.” I smirked, moving my hand towards the top of her head to stroke it. Doing this to Spike relaxed him so maybe it would work for Twilight? Maybe it will have the same effect on humans? I think it worked because she closed her eyes as her smile became wider.

“Besides, raising my voice would also have called the manager’s attention. I didn’t want to get Sonata into trouble over this.”

“I appreciate that.” She opened her eyes and made eye contact with me again.

I don't know why, maybe because I was unprepared or maybe because I just now realized how close we were, but my heart skipped a beat when I stared into her big, sparkly purple eyes. I couldn’t take my eyes off her. I wish I asked Adagio more details about how love works, but I felt like I made Twilight wait for too long already. I’ll discuss this further with Adagio once I’m back home. Twilight must know something. She’s certain enough to want to date me. Maybe… maybe I can ask her a few questions?

“Number 20! Your orders are ready!”

“What?” I blinked in confusion and managed to look away from my friend. I was so deep in thought that I forgot where was. I turned my head to the counter from where the employee was calling us and raised my hand.

“That’s us!” I approached the counter with Twilight and looked at the trays with our food then to our hands. Sorry, cub… “Sparks… I’m afraid that we’ll need both of our hands to carry these.”

“Huh?” Twilight was confused at first, but then followed my gaze to our hands. “Oh… I suppose you’re right.”

I chuckled as I took my tray. “Don’t worry, cub, we’ll continue where we left off later.”

Twilight giggled and carried her own tray. “Okay! Umm… where shall we sit?”

“Anywhere far from the play area, I once had kids throw things at me.” I said as I angrily looked at a kid passing by.

“Okay.” My friend looked around as we walked. “Oh, there!” She pointed with her head towards a table by a window, on the other side of the play area.

“That’s perfect! Let’s go.” We headed towards the table and sat before I pulled out my double cheeseburger. “Mmmm, time for this wolf to have a feast.” I took a huge bite and started to chew giving Twilight a playful look while I ate. “Something’s wrong, Sparks?” I asked with some sass Twilight hesitated, but she eventually glanced at me, with her eyes wide in shock.

“A-Aria…” Her tone was barely audible “w-we… w-we’re on a date…!”

My worry turned into confusion, but kept my playful grin. “Yeah, you've just realized that now?” My friend nodded and her cheeks turned crimson red. “But you practically dragged me here. Where did all your determination go?”

“I-I’ve been wanting to date you for so long that I acted on impulse! Only now is my brain registering what’s actually happening!” Twilight said, clearly trying to hide her embarrassment and failing.

I smiled and then chuckled, placing my burger on the table. She’s being cute again, I like it when she gets flustered. It’s okay to like when she’s like that, right? “Oh, cub, don’t worry. You’re doing good so far.”

“Y-You really think so? You’re not feeling weird about this?”

I shook my head, still smiling. “Not at all. I’m having a good time with you.”

“G-Good, because I am too!” Twilight grinned and raised her voice before covering her mouth all of the sudden. “S-Sorry…”

“Don’t be.” I placed my hand on the table, trying to reach her. Twilight stared at my hand for a little while before looking at me, blushing. I nodded to encourage her to take it. She smiled and placed her hand on mine, squeezing it. “Must be a relief to be so open with your feelings, huh?”

“Y-Yes...” My friend gazed into my eyes. “I kept them in check as much as I could, but in the end,” She smiled awkwardly. “I guess you were too much for me.”

“Is that so?” I raised an eyebrow and smirked, curious. “How long have you felt this way towards me?” I asked, trying to tease her a bit.

“O-Oh, uhh…” There she goes in full bashful mode again. Sorry, Sparks, but I’m really curious about it. “W-Well…” She was having difficulties to speak, but I didn’t push her. “I-I think that I first felt a spark back when we were stargazing for the first time?”

My eyes widened. Really, that long? “No kidding?” Twilight nodded.

By this point I could feel her hand getting warmer. “We were still getting to know each other back then. It was even before I started to call you my friend.”

“L-Like I said, I first felt something there. It was small. I ignored it, but as the days went by, the sensation became more and more intense to the point I couldn’t ignore it anymore. I talked with Cadence about it, who confirmed that I had a crush on you.”

That surprised me. I barely knew the woman, but I apparently left a good enough impression that Cadence was comfortable with me dating Twilight?

“So… like me, you had no idea about crushes?”

Twilight nodded. “Y-Yes. I suspected that my feelings could be romantic, but I needed Cadence's guidance.”

“I see.” I looked away, making a brief pause. “So… how does it feel?” I glanced back at Twilight. My friend tilted her head, confused. “Having a crush, I mean.”

Twilight widened her eyes and squeezed my hand harder.

“It is like, I don't know, being inside joy?" She said to me, taking hold of my hand with a smile. "It as if joy was something tangible and I could, wrap myself in it like a blanket, and never in my whole life have I felt as content to be with someone as I do with you.”

My heart skipped another beat. I had no idea I made her so happy just for… pretty much existing. “A-And… how do you know that you like me? What are the… signs?”

“The signs…?” My friend blinked. “O-Oh, well… whenever I see you, I tend to blush. Also, my heart starts to race and I feel something in my stomach, like butterflies going frenzy.” As she spoke, she flushed more and more. “There’s also the fact that I get extremely nervous, anxious, and can’t think straight when you’re around.”

“Okay…” My eyes widened in surprise for the revelation. “That explains a lot of your strange behavior…”

I barely had the chance to see her completely red. Twilight covered her face with both of her hands, releasing mine. “Y-Yeah…”

I chuckled and folded my arms while I smiled at her. However, my gaze moved behind her when I saw Sonata heading to the front door. Did someone ask her to get something? Where is she going? Anyway, no time to dwell on that. Since my friend was busy trying to hide behind her hands and hair, I took the opportunity to steal one of her fries. But as I did so, Twilight peeked and with a cute huff she crossed her arms and glared at me.

“H-Hey! You have your own fries!” She frowned, but I knew she wasn’t really mad.

I took a bite out of the fry, chewing with a grin on my face.

After swallowing the fry I shrugged, not losing my grin. “You weren’t touching them, cub. I thought that you didn’t want them.”

“I’m going to eat now!” She said with a huff, as she opened the box containing her burger. “I should do so before it gets cold.”

“Yeah, you’re right.” I said, before taking another bite of my cheeseburgers.

We smiled at each other and continued eating while we talked, avoiding anything love related. For now. Neither of us wanted to walk into that minefield, so instead we talked about the latest chapter in Young Sorceress Academia.

When we were almost done with our meal, I looked at Twilight. She was cleaning her mouth with a napkin. Now that we finished most of the food, I think that it was time for round two. “So, Twilight…”

“Yes?” She glanced at me as she put her napkin on the table.

“Tell me-” I leaned closer to her, placing my hands on the table. Meanwhile, Twilight started to drink from her straw. I’m eager to hear what her answer will be. “What do you find attractive about me?”

My friend’s eyes widened as she spat her drink. Liquid came out from her nose as well and she started to cough. Oops… I think I overdid it. I rushed to her side, took a napkin and helped her to clean her face. “I-I’m sorry, Sparks, I didn’t mean to-”

“N-No, it’s fine.” She said, cleaning her clothes. “I-I figured you would ask me that at some point, but I still wasn’t prepared.”

“Still, I shouldn’t have done it. I didn’t want to go that far.” While I was cleaning her cheeks, Twilight made eye contact with me. There was a brief silence, but then, she spoke.

“To answer your question… t-this is one of the reasons I like you.”

“What do you mean?” I frowned, confused.

“I like how much you care about me. You’re always watching out for me. You stood up for me when the bullies of my old school attacked me, you worked hard with Sunset and Trixie to fix my school project when you broke it by accident, and just now, you noticed that I was uncomfortable with the attention we were getting and you didn’t mean to go too far with the teasing,” She said to me.

In a flash I remembered something from long ago. Another faint memory came crashing down on me and it hit me really hard. I remembered not only being mocked and ridiculed, by the sirens I once thought were my old pack, my friends. Worse I was being mocked by the very siren who I was entranced by after saying how beautiful she was. It hurt me deeply hearing their words echo through my head, especially hers.

“HAAA!!! Wow, you really think I would be interested in a weakling pup like you?!” I remembered her saying mockingly at me. “Please, you’re miserable sight. Did you think I allowed you into my hunting pack because I liked you? No!”

I remembered her words stung very hard.

“But, I’m loyal to the hunting pack! Aren’t we all friends? Isn’t that what a pack is!?”

I remember she sneered at me.

“You are nothing more than a hunter for us! Nothing more or less!” I remember her saying glaring down at me. “Remember your place. We can easily replace you.”

“Well, then… I’ll leave then! I don’t need this! I don’t need you!” I yelled lashing out with my fangs going for the siren.

I was then pinned down by razor sharp teeth and powerful hooves as my old pack leader loomed over me. She gave me a cruel smile that made my blood run cold.

“You would dare attack your leader? And you have the nerve to say you don’t need us!? HA! You’re a brainless idiot, you’re all brute force, and you would starve to death on your own!”

I snarled rapping my hooves at her trying to reach her. In my blind rage I didn’t realize just how close she’d gotten. Her jaws snapped down on my neck and I felt myself being thrown around like a ragdoll before being thrown aside like discarded trash.

“Look upon Aria Blaze everyone! As leader of the pack I hereby banish you! Never come back or I’ll give you a reminder of what I did today!”

I remembered the utter feeling of betrayal and rejection not only from a siren I liked, and the heartache that came with it, but from being cast out by my old pack. My so called friends. It was then that I remembered why I gave up friendship. I turned my back on everyone who ever tried to get close to me so I would never be humiliated or hurt like that ever again. I even went so far as to keep a good distance from my own sisters that have led to almost a decade of conflicts between them and I. That day changed me and clearly not for the better.

I remembered when I went to Crystal Prep with Twilight to get her things. How she was mocked, bullied, and how I reacted afterwards. My old pack leader was right about one thing, I was a mindless brute. I often let my anger get the better of me and I often do things without thinking. I did it when I met Sunset Shimmer and Trixie, I did it at Crystal Prep, and I did it when I met Twilight.

I felt guilty poking fun at her now, even if I meant no harm in it. I looked away from her feeling slightly ashamed of myself, “Y-Yeah, I probably shouldn’t tease you anymore…”

“N-No, it’s okay. I don’t mind. I know you were only joking,” I looked back at her surprised to see she was smiling.

I just now realized how close we were to each other. Despite this, she didn’t seem to be as nervous as usual. “I know you don’t have bad intentions with them. It doesn’t bother me much.”

I stopped cleaning her. She didn’t remove her eyes from mine for a little while, then, she moved them to my lips. We agreed for no lips contact for now but given that she kissed me out of the blue last time I’m not going to risk it. I’m not ready! In order to break the tension, I squeezed her nose with my thumb and index finger. Not too hard, though.

“H-Hey!” She swat my hands away and placed her hands over her face to protect her tiny nose. “What was that for!?”

I chuckled. “Sorry, Cub, I couldn’t help it.” I smirked returning to my seat. “You said you were okay with it, after all.”

“I didn’t mean that!” She said with a muffled giggle still protecting her nose.

We shared a laugh. I could feel the tension between us lessen. She smiled and ate one of her fries. “Returning to the topic, I also like the fact that we share some interests. You really like to read.”

“Eh, you expanded my library beyond just fiction,” I rested my back in my seat, crossing my arms and smiling. “You gave me more stuff to do.”

Twilight giggled. “I’m glad to hear that.” She leaned against the table and placed her arms on it, her hands clasped together. “I also…” I noticed that she started to blush deeply. “I… find you quite beautiful.”

I blinked and lost my smile, surprised. I felt something weird inside of me. D-Did I hear that right?

“B-Beautiful, m-me?” I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. No one ever called me that before. My friend nodded, still smiling at me. “You like this?!” I pointed at my face. “Other than my hair, I barely arrange myself!”

“You don’t need to overdo with makeup in order to look beautiful. I like you just the way you are.” She was flushing furiously, and I think that I was too.

“W-Wow…” I scratched the back of my head, suddenly feeling nervous. “Don’t tell Adagio that. You have no idea how long she takes to arrange herself only to find out that I have the same results with minimal effort.”

Twilight giggled again. “I won’t.”

We finished the rest of our meal and stood up. Twilight reached for my hand but didn’t dare to look at me. I smirked and flicked her forehead tenderly. “You’re seriously that nervous again? After everything you just said?”

“I-I can’t help it. My courage comes and goes.”

I chuckled again, but it was cut short when I heard a high-pitched voice coming from the entrance.

“Hi, Sonata!” Both Twilight and I glanced at the customer who just cried upon entering. It was another Rainboom, the pink one.

“Pinkie Pie?” My friend was surprised to see the pink girl as much as I was. Twilight's friend was pushing a twin stroller and was far from us, so she didn't hear Twilight saying her name.

“Pinkie! It’s good to see you again!” Sonata rushed towards Twilight’s friend to hug her excitedly. Wait..what? I didn’t know they knew each other!

“Oops, sorry!” Sonata giggled as she released Pinkie Pie. “I shouldn’t be so loud in front of the twins.”

“Don’t worry, Nata, We have been playing until just now. They’re too tired to wake up.”

“Umm, Pinkie…?” Twilight called her friend as we approached her and my sister. They glanced at us, grinning.

“Hello there!” The pink girl greeted us.

“Are you leaving?” Sonata asked.

“We are, but-” I frowned, pointing back and forth between my sister and Pinkie Pie. “What’s going on here?”

“Oh, this?” My sister glanced at the Rainboom, smiling. “She showed up here a couple of days ago with the babies to buy a snack and we became friends.”

“She’s cool!” Pinkie Pie placed an arm around Sonata’s shoulders. “I’m definitely organizing my next birthday here!”

My sister giggled at the Rainboom’s comment. Then Twilight’s friend glanced down and gasped excitedly. My eyes widened and I followed her gaze to realize that she saw that Twilight and I were holding hands. Oh, no… “Hand contact! I see hand contact!”

“P-Pinkie!” My friend cried as she hid her face with her free hand, turning red again. Given that Pinkie Pie seemed to be as energetic as Sonata, I anticipated problems. I glared at the girls in front of me, ready to ask them not to say anything else, but Sonata spoke first.

“Wait, Pinks!” She placed a hand on the Rainboom’s shoulder. “We don’t want to embarrass Twilight in front of all these strangers. Can we… keep it quiet?”

Pinkie Pie glanced at Sonata, confused, but she quickly smiled as if she had some sort of grand revelation. “Oh, sure!” She turned her head towards my friend. “Sorry, Twi! I’ll wait until we’re alone with our friends before getting all excited about you and Aria!”

My jaw dropped in surprise. Sonata… listened to me! I don’t believe it. “Th-Thank you…” I managed to say while I was still in shock.

“No probs!” Pinkie Pie grinned. “I better get in line. I’ll see you later!” The Rainboom walked to the nearest line while pushing the stroller.

“See you, Pinkie! And you too, Sonata.” Twilight smiled, recovering herself.

“Bye.” Sonata waved at us.

I turned around with Twilight and walked towards the door, but I turned and called out to Sonata. “Hey! Where did you go by the way?” I asked pointing to the door. “I didn’t see you come back after you left.”

“Huh?” Sonata looked really confused.

After almost a minute of her standing there staring blankly at us she snapped back to reality startling us both and snapped her fingers. “Oh, silly me I almost forgot! I went to buy this for you while you were eating. Here.”

She held a hand towards us, showing us a wrapped chocolate. “I’m really sorry about the whole milkshake problem, but I still wanted to give you something sweet you could share.”

“Oh.” I stared at the chocolate for a few moments before taking it and giving it to Twilight. Then, I smiled at Sonata and placed my hand on her shoulder. “Thanks, Sona- I mean, thanks sis.”

My sister gasped, then smiled and then hugged me. “You’re welcome!”

Although I would usually complain when she hugs me, she earned this one. Looking at Twilight, I saw that she was smiling warmly at the scene. I patted Sonata on her back until she released me. “I better get back to work. See you at home, Aria.”

“Yeah, see you.” I nodded at her before leaving the Burger Joint with my friend. Despite everything, this day wasn’t so bad.


Twilight examined the chocolate Sonata gave us while we traveled back to her home. It wasn’t until we were close to our destination when I decided to comment about it. “What’s about that thing that has you so intrigued, Sparks?”

My friend glanced at me, eyes widened and blushing. “I-It’s… a shareable chocolate that comes with a r-romantic poem.”

“Say what again?” I raised an eyebrow, confused.

Twilight nodded. “Y-Yes, look!” She presented me with Sonata’s gift. I took it and read the wrapping. It’s called ‘2 Hearts’, and my friend was right. It does come with a poem.

“W-Well…” I flushed a little. “Sonata bought this for us, so we should open it.”

I unwrapped the chocolate. It was two equal pieces of chocolate with hearts carved on them which could be easily separated. I needed both of my hands to split the chocolate, which gave me an idea. Taking the chocolate in my hand, I held one half with the tips of my fingers and offered it to Twilight. She stared at it for a second then realizing what I was doing she took the other half and together we gently pulled the chocolate heart apart.

With the heart successfully split into two, I took my half and nibbled the edge. It was slightly more bitter than I expected. However I do have to give Sonata credit she really does know how to come through. I looked down at the chocolate taking a moment to think of my sister and how she was there when it all started for me and Twilight. In a way, she was partially responsible for me and Twilight getting together. Had she not chased after Twilight I might not have become friends with her, and then… No, I won’t think like that. I pushed those thoughts away burying them deep down. I’m here with Twilight now, and that was good enough for me.

“I really should thank her properly for this,” I mumbled to myself, nibbling the chocolate again before smiling at Twilight. “It isn’t half bad,” I commented while I chewed. “Not the best chocolate I have tried, but far from the worst I’ve tasted either.”

“I agree,” Twilight swallowed hers and returned my smile. “It's nice that they’re made to be shared.”

“Yeah…” I swallowed my chocolate before taking a look at the wrapping. The poem was in a separate piece of paper. I read it and blushed with embarrassment more than anything. It was too cheesy. I glanced at my friend, who was already in bashful mode again. “We already ate this, so I might as well read it aloud.”

Twilight nodded, avoiding my gaze. “Y-Yeah, I guess so.”

I smirked before clearing my throat. Here it goes… “What words, what phrases, are at hand for our use! Such a spectrum of feelings can be freely set loose.” I glanced at my friend and had to repress a chuckle when I saw her. She was completely red and her eyes were widened. “Cub?” I took her hand and squeezed it to try to relax her. She looked at me, still with the same expression.

“A-Aria…”

I chuckled, not able to hold it any longer. “Remember, it was a piece of paper, not me.”

“I-I know. But it was your voice…” She gazed straight into my eyes when she said the last. Suddenly, I felt my body heating up. It had to be the warmth of the day… right?

“W-Well, I-I…” I coughed nervously. I had no idea what I was saying. I was just throwing out random words! Twilight giggled softly and put her arms around mine and rested her head on my shoulder. The warm feeling within my body got even worse! I had no idea what was happening, but I did enjoy it, I think. However, shortly after, she stopped walking. I looked at her, dumbfounded by her sudden stop. “Why are we stopping?”

“Because… we’re here?” She frowned, confused. I looked to her side and realized that we were indeed at her place.

“Oh, I didn’t notice.” I faced Twilight and held her hand with both of mine.

I didn’t want to end this day just yet, but I know that this is just the first date. I still need to get used to that, so I could give her a genuine smile. “So… this was fun.”

“Yes, it was…” She returned the smile, but then pouted. “I wish we could do more, though.”

“I-I know, Twilight, but we’re taking one step at a time. Besides, Adagio is dying to learn how did it go.”

My friend smiled and blushed. “S-Since you asked me out today… should I do so the next time…? I-I mean, there’s still a next time, right?”

Smirking, I took a step closer to her. She gasped and widened her eyes. I can definitely get used to that. “Of course there will be a second time. We agreed on five dates, remember?” She barely managed to nod. “But, you were the one who dragged me to the Burger Joint, so, doesn’t the score lean on your favor?”

“I-I…” She cleared her throat but was still nervous. “I did, but… you still proposed the date in the first place…” She gasped again when I placed my hand on her head.

“Well, do you want to give me a call when you’re ready?” She nodded, more fiercely this time. “It’s settled, then.”

“O-Okay, umm…” She was avoiding my gaze again.

“What’s on your mind, Sparks?”

“I-I’m wondering…” She struggled to speak, but I was patient with her. “My parents will want to know what we were doing, and my friends… I didn’t ask Pinkie to keep the date a secret, so I’ll have to tell them something. What should I say…?”

I gave her words some thought. I wasn’t fond of her friends, but I don’t want to ask her to keep any more secrets. I sighed before speaking. “Tell them… the truth. They know that you’re friends with me, anyway.”

“R-Really, are you sure?” I nodded and patted her head, smiling.

“Absolutely. As long as no one kicks on my door, I’ll be fine with whatever you want to tell them.”

Twilight giggled. “I’ll make sure to ask them to leave you be. Especially Pinkie.”

“Thank you.” We stared at each other for a little while. My friend still seemed to be uneasy. “Anything else…?”

“Ch-Cheek… k-kiss…?”

I blinked in realization. “O-Oh!” I smiled warmly at her. “I said I was okay with that. Shall I do it, or-?” I was interrupted when Twilight quickly kissed me on my cheek. My eyes widened in surprise and I remained monition less.

“I-I’ll call you later, Aria!” I barely registered her voice.

She turned around and ran into her house. It took me time to remember how to move. I placed my hand where she kissed me. I could still feel her lips there. This feeling, it wasn’t bad at all. I shook my head, smiled, placed my hands in my pockets and started to walk towards my home. The whole day was… interesting. I learnt many new things about Twilight and myself. I felt closer to her now, which wasn’t a bad thing. Adagio is surely eager for my return, so I think that I’ll walk as slowly as possible.


The walk home took a bit longer than I wanted, since my mind was wandering on what happened today. Between my sisters, and Twilight it had been a busy day. I also felt different, more energetic than I felt in a long time. I felt happy? I smiled thinking about my time with Twilight as I approached my home and unlocked my door. As I opened the door I was greeted with silence. I had expected to be ambushed and bombarded with questions, yet to my surprise I didn’t see hint or hair of anybody.

I entered my home closing the door behind me and walked around to see if I could find my sisters. I checked the kitchen, the living room, nothing. I was sure Sonata was at work, but what about Adagio? Where was she? I walked down the corridor and was about to head to my room to catch up on some reading. Once I was back in my room I quickly discarded my boots and threw myself onto my comfy bed, taking out, Young Sorceress Academia.

I read uninterrupted for the next couple of hours until the lecture started to strain my eyes. By the time I finished reading it was already getting late, and I hadn’t heard a sound from my sisters. I got out of bed and decided to see if Adagio was home. As I walked down the hallway I passed by Sonata’s door and saw a dash of blue out of the corner of my eye. I looked back and saw my little sister’s bedroom door was opened slightly. I stopped and took a peek inside and saw her napping on her bed, still wearing her uniform holding a large pillow against her. I couldn’t help but let out a chuckle at her.

I can’t remember the last time I felt like this. She really was a good girl. I walked in and slowly moved closer to not disturb her slumber. I sat down at her side and she gave a goofy smile in her sleep and began to mumble something. As I sat there and watched her sleeping something in my mind clicked. I gently reached over and ran my hand down Sonata’s head gently petting her. I swear for a moment she purred like a kitten.

“Ariaaa…”

I nearly jumped hearing her call to me in her sleep. I felt compelled to say something, but with nothing in mind I just began to talk as I sat there petting my sisters head.

“Hey, Sonata, I just had a few things to say before I forget,” I said as I ran my fingers through my sisters hair. “I wanted to thank you for today. You really had my back there when the pink friend of Twilight’s showed up. Honestly I never really expected you to listen to me, but I’m glad you proved me wrong. Again.”

I pulled my hand away examining it for no particular reason. I clenched it to a fist looking at my knuckles noticing every little detail.

“I am not very good at expressing myself, you know that. Adagio makes it all to clear to me sometimes. I hate to admit it but I’m a bit envious that you and her are able to make friends so easily. Being with Twilight, it changed me in a way that I can’t even begin to understand,” I loosened my grip letting my hand open up keeping my fingers slightly curled inward as I continued. “I have you to thank for that.”

I glanced down at Sonata who wasn’t showing any sign that she heard me, but regardless of that I continued.

“Adagio said she was the first friend I ever made in my life, I know that’s not true. I once had a few friends back in Equestria, my old pack,” I sighed glaring at my hand once again scraping my thumb over my index finger.” At least I thought they were. Now I have Twilight and I have you and Adagio. I know I don’t say it enough, in fact I can’t remember the last time I said it but… I love you little sister. And I am grateful for what you’ve done for not only me, but Twilight as well.”

Having said my peace I felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. My heart felt lighter and I was even happier than I was before. I leaned over and gently hugged my sister, ruffling her hair a bit before covering her with a sheet and leaving her to rest. I then retreated to my room to catch up on some reading before turning in for the night, ready to tackle the next day with my head high, ready to face the future.

Author's Note:

There you go, everyone, their first date! Well, kind of :twilightblush:

More of Aria's has been revealed. Poor, poor thing :fluttershysad:

I want to thank Windsor and Zalla661 for proofreading and editing this chapter before its release :pinkiesmile: